Best Treats for Pets
Adopting a pet be it any a cat or a dog is a joy of its own. However, it is not as easy as it sounds because it involves a lot of responsibilities which includes showing your love and affection for your pet. A treat is a small snack packed with nutrients and a delicious flavor that allows you to do just that.
We provide a comprehensive buyer’s guide explaining all the factors a new pet owner should consider before purchasing a product. This is followed by the detailed review of our top ten treats along with the links to purchase them on Amazon.
Top 10 Treats
The Best Happiness Rewarding Deal
The Best Nutritional Dog Chews
The Most Delicious Jerky Dog Treat
The Best Energy Treats
Best Chew Bones
Best Herbal Dog Treats
Best Creamy Treats for Cats
The Easy To Feed Cat Snack
Importance Of Treats
Treats are the perfect way to display your love and affection to your pet. They are delicious snacks that are packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Dogs look for a sign of affection from their owners more than cats. Thus, providing your dog with a treat is much more important to show your gratification for its loyalty and companionship.
These healthy and flavorful snacks are very useful in training sessions. You can always reward your pet with a treat if he/she does well. This encourages them to do even better the next time. You can also reward your pet with a treat for good behavior or to keep him/her at ease when visiting the vet or a new place.
You can teach a few new tricks on pet furniture and as a reward comes the treat. Through treat, you can teach them discipline as well.
Apart from helping you build the best bond with your pet, treats also have many health benefits. Even though it is not completely balanced in nutrients like pet food it still has ample amount of vitamins and minerals that help to enhance the luster of your pet’s coat, building the immune system and the maintaining its overall health.
Treats are also available in the form of dental chews that are very useful for maintaining the dental hygiene of your pet dog. It helps to remove tartar and keeps the teeth clean while ensuring strength.
Types of Treats
Crunchy treats include mostly delicious crunchy biscuits that are available in different shapes, sizes and flavors. They are healthy and nutritious. However, you need to choose a size based on the size of your pet. These types of treats are ideal, especially for rewarding dogs.
These are treats that are soft and chewy in texture. They are available in different flavors, shapes, and sizes. They are ideal to reward your pet during training sessions to show your gratification and love.
These are the best treats to provide to your dog or cat as they are available in forms such as meats, liver, seafood, and poultry. These are frozen and then dried in order to preserve them for a longer time. Jerky treats offer the flavor that is desired by all dogs and cats.
Dental chews like the names suggests are made for chewing purposes from corn starch and other digestible materials. They are available in the forms of bones however there are no animal bones involved. These treats are beneficial for the dental health of your dog as it helps in the removal of tartar while keeping his/her teeth strong.
However, you need to choose an appropriate size for your dog that is not too hard as it might lead to tooth injuries. A size too small might be gulped by your dog which further may cause a gastrointestinal blockage.
This is another type of dog bone treat that is made from animal hide and further treated with chemicals. These treats might cause problems like gastrointestinal blockages and other stomach related problem. Thus, for this reason dental chews are often preferred over rawhide.
Buyer’s Guide For Treats for Pets
Go for a flavorful that is loved by your dog or cat. Dog’s prefer flavors such as chicken, lamb, milk etc. while you could go for seafood flavored treat for your cat. A flavor that is loved by your pet is much more rewarding and proves to be a real treat for him/her. The treat should be palatable and should have a tempting aroma that would tempt even the fussy eaters to eat it.
Like any other food product you need to check the ingredients of the treat before you buy it. The main ingredient should be chicken, milk, mutton or seafood. This needs to be accompanied with natural flavors, emulsifiers, flour, vitamins, minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, omega-3 and 6 fatty acids etc. Apart from that ensure that the treat does not come with artificial color, flavor or preservatives.
We know that there are different types of pet treats available. It is important to know about the types before making a purchase so that you make the right choice according to the preference of your pet. If you want to provide your pet with oral care along with health benefits go for crunchy and chew-able treats like biscuits and chew bones. However, if your dog or cat enjoys a rich flavorful treat go for a freeze-dried or jerky treat that is usually made using chicken, mutton or seafood.
The complementary treat completes the diet of your pet. Thus, it is important that the treat you buy contains all the essential nutrients including proteins, vitamins, minerals and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. This helps in maintaining the overall health of your pet. The cat treats should be rich in taurine as it helps in improving your cat’s eyesight. On the other hand, omega-3 and 6 fatty acids help in providing your pet with a lustrous coat.
Treats are meant to be healthy rewards given to your pet to divulge in. It is important that the treats you purchase agree with your pet and they are easily digestible. This prevents your pet from vomiting after consumption and stomach problems such as bloating.
1. Pedigree Dentastix, Oral Care Dog Treat – Our Choice
Pedigree is a leading name when it comes to pet food and treats that ensure nutrition, digestibility as well as taste. This dog treats from Pedigree is the ideal treat to reward your dog along with providing him/her with proper dental care. This treat comes in the form of a unique x shaped and abrasive textured sticks that are made with Zinc Sulphate and Sodium Tripolyphosphate.
They are tasty treats suitable for all dog breeds. The best part about this treat is that it reduces tartar build-up by 80% keeping your canine friend’s teeth clean, strong while also helping in bad breath. It is a reasonable product that rewards your dog with the best oral care. This makes it our number one choice.
- It is available in three sizes- 180 g, 720 g, and 1800 g.
- The pack contains unique-x shaped and abrasive textured sticks for oral care.
- The active ingredients used are Zinc Sulphate and Sodium Tripolyphosphate.
- These sticks were formulated after prior research from the Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition.
- It is suitable for all small to large breed dogs including Pugs, Beagle to Labrador, Golden Retriever and German shepherd.
- The shape and texture of the sticks help to remove plaque and food particles stuck in your dog’s teeth.
- The abrasive texture ensures longer chewing, stimulating saliva flow that helps wash away debris from the teeth.
- It ensures less calculus accumulation in your dog’s teeth.
- The active ingredients slow down the rate of tartar build-up by up to 80%.
- As per user reviews, dog’s tend to finish it within just a few minutes that does not allow it to be chewed enough for oral care.
2. Meatup Chicken Flavour, Real Chicken Biscuit, Dog Treats – The Best Happiness Rewarding Deal
Meat Up provides you with the best deal on a great quality product for your dog with its buy one get one free option. These are hard crunchy type biscuit treats that are baked in the oven in a delicious chicken flavor. Natural flavors and high-quality ingredients are used in the making of this complete and balanced product that provides your dog with overall health benefits. These biscuits are the perfect healthy way of rewarding your dog with love and you can find this pet treats online.
- It is available in jars of 1 kg and 500 grams.
- It comes with a buy one get one free offer.
- The main ingredient used in the making of these biscuits is chicken.
- These are complete and balanced crunchy textured oven baked biscuits.
- It does not contain any added flavor or color.
- The other ingredients include rice flour, wheat flour, antioxidants, permitted emulsifiers, natural flavors along with vitamins and minerals.
- The biscuits are bone shaped making it appealing for your dog.
- The crunchy texture removes plaque and tartar build-up.
- The omega 3 and 6 fatty acids ensure that your dog has a lustrous coat.
- These flavor-packed biscuits keep your dog healthy and active.
- It is a healthy way of rewarding your dog with love and happiness.
- They are also available in milk and mutton flavors.
- Certain dogs did not like the taste of these biscuits.
3. Choostix Chicken Dog Treat – The Best Nutritional Dog Chews
The Choostix Chicken Dog Treat is a protein enriched and nutritious snack in a power packed delicious chicken flavor that is loved by all dog breeds. It comes in a pack of chew-able sticks that not only satisfies the chewing urge but also enhances the overall dental health of your dog by removing tartar and promoting the teeth and gums. Moreover, these are easily digestible and are available in a reasonable price.
- Net weight of the product is 450 grams.
- These treats come in the form of chew sticks.
- They are available in beef, chicken, lamb, and natural flavors.
- They are nutritious, made from high-quality products and are enriched with protein.
- It is suitable for all dog breeds.
- These chew-able sticks are highly palatable and easily digestible.
- It satisfies the urge to chew while ensuring removal of tartar.
- It promotes healthy teeth and gums.
- These treats are ideal to provide to your dog at the time of teething.
- A user complained about the quality of the product and mentioned that his dog vomited after consumption of the treat.
4. Petsutra Doggie Dabbas Chicken Jerky Dog Treat – The Most Delicious Jerky Dog Treat
The Petsutra Doggie Dabbas Dog Treat is a freeze-dried treat that is made using 100% natural farm fresh chicken that is slow cooked for 14 hours. This ensures that the chicken is flavorful with the taste and smell of jerk chicken. This is one of the most delicious treat loved by all breed dogs. It is free from artificial colors and preservatives making it an absolutely safe and healthy treat to reward your dog with.
- Net weight of the pack is 100 grams.
- It is available in packs of 1, 3, 5 and 10.
- The main ingredient of this treat is 100% natural farm fresh chicken.
- It is a freeze-dried or jerky treat.
- 2-3 pieces per day should be given to small dogs, 3-5 pieces are to be given to medium dogs and large dogs should be given 5-7 pieces per day.
- It is slow cooked for 14 hours to ensure the meaty flavor.
- These tasty treats are motivating which makes your dog want to learn more.
- They taste and smell just like jerk chicken.
- They do not leave a greasy and smelly residue on your hands, unlike artificially enhanced dog treats.
- It does not contain any artificial color, preservatives or flavors.
- It is a bit expensive.
5. Goodies Energy Treats Bone Shaped for Dogs – The Best Energy Treats
The Goodies Energy Treats is a bone shaped treat made from best quality ingredients, ideal for dogs with meat allergy. It comes in a calcium flavor and maintains the overall health of your dog. These treats are enriched with vitamins and improve the strength of your dog’s teeth and bones. Your dog will always be active after being rewarded with these delicious goodies.
- Net weight is 500 grams.
- These are bone shaped dog treats made from the best quality ingredients.
- They contain liver extracts, chlorophyll, and calcium-phosphorus.
- These are ideal for dogs with meat allergy.
- These treats are suitable for puppies and small breed dogs.
- It satisfies the natural urge to chew.
- They are fortified with natural vitamins and helps to maintain the health of your dog.
- Improves the strength of bones and teeth.
- It provides energy to your dog keeping him/her active.
- It is a bit expensive.
6. Gnawlers Calcium Milk Bones Dog Treats – Best Chew Bones
The leading online pet store Gnawlers has provided us with this great product of chew bone dog treats. These treats have a milk flavor and are enriched in calcium that helps in strengthening the bones and teeth of your dog. They are easily digestible satisfying the hunger of your pet immediately while proving to be a great reward to provide him/her during training sessions. The Gnawlers Calcium Milk Bone Dog Treat will help you strengthen the bond between you and your pet.
- Net weight is 270 grams.
- It consists of 12 calcium enriched milk bones.
- No artificial colors or flavors are added.
- They are medium size bones.
- It is highly digestible.
- It is the perfect reward to provide your dog during coaching sessions.
- Capable of satisfying untimely attack of hunger.
- It helps in the removal of plaque and tartar build-up on the teeth and gums of your dog.
- It freshens the breath of your dog.
- No such cons were mentioned.
7. Himalaya Healthy Treats – Best Herbal Dog Treats
Himalaya is a leading and well-known brand that deals with herbal and ayurvedic products. The Himalaya Healthy treats are bone shaped dog biscuits that come in a 1 kg jar. These treats are enriched with herbal actives as well as flaxseeds that provide nutrition and enhance the overall health of your dog. It comes in a delicious chicken flavor and helps in securing the bond between you and your pet.
- Net weight of the product is 1 kg.
- These are healthy dog treats enriched with herbal actives.
- The dog biscuits are bone shaped.
- They are fortified using flaxseeds.
- These biscuits come in a chicken flavor.
- 2-8 biscuits can be fed daily depending on the size and breed of your dog.
- The biscuits have a tasty and delicious chicken flavor that is relished by your dog.
- These biscuits strengthen the bond between you and your dog.
- It supports skin health and fitness of your canine friend.
- A user mentioned that the container should be a bit more sturdy.
8. Me-O Creamy Treats with Chicken and Liver for Cats and Kittens – Best Creamy Treats for Cats
The Me-O Creamy treats are formulated especially formulated for cats allowing you to play and spend quality time with him/her. It comes in a delicious chicken and liver flavor that is relished by your cat. Moreover, it is rich in fiber and taurine that helps improving eyesight as well as the digestive system. This prevents your cat from having stomach issues like bloating. However, it is not suitable to be given as a meal and should be fed with water.
- These are creamy treats formulated for cats and kittens.
- It comes in a pack of 5.
- It comes in a chicken and liver flavor.
- These treats are rich in fiber, taurine, zinc, and omega-6.
- It should be given with water in the side.
- Promotes a healthy digestive system.
- The taurine improves the eyesight of your cat.
- The omega-6 fatty acid ensures healthy skin and coat for your cat.
- This snack allows you to play with your cat.
- The pack is overpriced according to users.
- It cannot be fed as a meal.
9. Sheba Melty Premium Cat Snack – The Easy To Feed Cat Snack
The Sheba Melty Premium Cat Snack is the perfect treat to give your cat. It can be fed easily by hand which makes your cat feel loved. It comes in a delicious Tuna and Tuna Seafood that is loved by all cats be it Persian cat, British Shorthair to Siamese cat. It is rich in protein, fibre, and calories keeping your cat fit and active as well.
- It is available in two sizes 4 sticks and a pack of 6.
- It contains Tuna and Tuna-Seafood (2 sticks each) flavors.
- This is a complementary cat treat suitable for a Persian cat, British Shorthair to Siamese cat.
- Comes with a calorific value of 8 kcal/sachet.
- It contains 5% Protein, 0.20% fat, 0.50% fiber and high 90% moisture.
- 2 sticks can be fed per day.
- It has high palatability and great taste which will be loved by your feline.
- Your cat is kept indulged because of its creamy texture and irresistible flavor.
- It can be fed easily by hand, helping you close the distance to make your cat feel loved.
- It is made using high-quality protein enriched ingredients.
- As per a user, certain cats may not like it.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many treats should you give to your pet in one day?
Generally, all the pet food companies provide guidelines behind the package as to how much should be consumed so check it out. Start with 1 treat a day with your pet and see how they react. But don’t overfeed them, make sure to only give them 3-4 treats only a day.
2. Which type of treat to choose?
There are different types available like crunchy, chewy, rawhide, milk bones etc. All these treats have different size, flavor and functionality. Go for chewy treats is your pet has chewing urges, crunchy treats if you need to reward your pet.
3. Are Milk Bone treats good for dogs?
Yes, milk bone treats are good for the dogs. They allow them to chew for longer periods satisfying their chewing needs and also provide needed protein and calcium.
4. Can you feed veg treats to dogs?
Dogs are omnivorous, that means that they can have both veg and non-veg options. So yes you can feed them a veg treat. But make sure to feed them non-vegetarian food as well.
5. is it bad to give your dog a lot of treats?
We get it if your training your dog you need to give a lot of treats to your pet. But too many treats means too much sugar which might lead to a health issue. Every treat packaging comes with guidelines on how many treats can be consumed in a day. Follow that guideline.
Treats are the best way to make your pet feel close to you and feel loved. It helps you reward your pet with good health, oral care, and a lustrous coat. However, for a new pet owner choosing the right balance of food and treats might be a tedious task. This article allows you to make the right choice when it comes to treats.
Go through the buyer’s guide as it explains all the factors you need to consider before buying a treat. This is followed by the list of the top ten treats to purchase from Amazon. If you are looking for a treat that provides the best oral care to your dog, go for our number one choice- The Pedigree dentatix Oral care Dog Treat. On the other hand, if you want to show your love for you can choose the Me-O Creamy Treats or the Shelby Melty Premium Cat Snack.