Top 8 Camera Cleaning Gear
When you invest in an expensive device like a camera, it is equally important to take care of it from time to time. Photography is done both indoors and outdoors, which is why any camera can accumulate dust quite easily.
You don’t have to wait till you see a layer of dust or fingerprints on the lens. With regular maintenance, you can increase your camera’s durability.
Few cleaning equipment, like cleaning brush, cloth, air blower that can remove dust and stains, are a must for any photographer.
One of the most common reasons that a camera may gather dust is the changing of camera lenses. The detaching and attaching of a new lens can allow dust to settle in the camera, which is why you should thoroughly clean the slots of the camera.
If this is your first time shopping for a cleaning kit, this article is all you need. With a good cleaning gear, you can properly maintain your camera and make it last a much longer period.
We have researched and listed down everything you need to know that will help you buy the right cleaning gear like what it is, the benefits of using it, inclusions in a camera cleaning kit, Factors to consider, and tips for maintaining your camera. Apart from this, we have also listed the 8 best cleaning kits available online and also answered the commonly asked questions.
Top 8 Camera Cleaning Gear in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best for APS-C Sensor
Our pick for the most cleaning tools at a decent price
Our pick from the expensive range
Quality on a budget
Our pick for the casual photographer
What Is a Camera Cleaning Gear?
The cleaning gear is simply a collection of tools that are very useful in cleaning and maintaining a camera.
In addition to the replacement of parts, you also need to ensure that the camera is in good condition for use. Sometimes, simple maintenance can eliminate issues that are costing you money in replacements.
Various tools are available in-camera cleaning gear. These tools are listed in this review.
Tools found in a camera cleaning gear
A blower is an essential part of a cleaning kit. It is necessary if you intend to use air in the removal of dust particles from the camera. It is a great choice since it helps prevent the use of compressed air in cleaning the camera.
In most cases, you should use the blower on the exterior parts of the camera. One of the benefits of a blower compared to blowing air directly from your mouth is that you can avoid spraying saliva on the camera.
There are different types of blowers in the market. Most of the designs come with anti-static properties as well as filters.
Like with every purchase you make, quality is also important when purchasing a camera cleaning brush. A soft-bristled brush is always recommended since it can easily fit into the camera’s crevices to remove dust.
For camera cleaning purposes, choosing a Camel hairbrush is usually a great option. These brushes are usually soft and fine.
They help in preventing the brush from scratching or leaving marks on the lens and camera body.
You must be careful when using a brush. To avoid the transfer of oil, grime, or grease, do not touch the brush’s bristles when cleaning the camera. You can also invest in a retractable brush that is available on a lens cleaning pen.
It is possible to use either a cleaning cloth or cleaning tissue when performing camera maintenance. It is possible to use the cloth in cleaning the camera on more than a single occasion.
Since you will be using the cleaning cloth multiple times, you must keep it clean. This process helps in eliminating particles, grime, and dirt from previous uses.
Avoiding the use of fabric softeners to clean the cloth. The cloth can produce streaks due to residue from the softener chemical.
Simply wash the camera cleaning cloth after every use. Large particles on the camera when using a cleaning cloth will result in scratches.
You need to use a blower before using a cleaning cloth. A common material for a lens cleaning cloth is Microfiber.
If you decide to use a tissue for camera maintenance, ensure it is a lens cleaning tissue.
Lens cleaning tissue is a safer alternative for your camera. With facial tissue, you may find a few that contain oils while others have an abrasive design. Using these facial tissues may result in streaks or scratches on the lens.
One of the benefits of lens tissue is the cost. It is available at a very affordable price. As a result, it is only suitable for single use. You will have to dispose of the tissue after cleaning the lens.
Dedicated camera cleaners are also known as optical cleaning fluids. These cleaners are alcohol-based solutions that are safe to apply to the optical coatings of the camera.
You may be tempted to use regular cleaning fluid to maintain your camera. There are lots of reasons why this will not be a good option.
These fluids often contain either acetone or ammonia in the solution. These solutions damage the coating on the camera and the body.
To use the solution, you need to apply it using a cloth or a swab. These prevent you from pouring excess fluid as you would when applying directly on the surface.
Excess liquid on the camera may seep into some of the tight spaces and cause damage to the camera’s internal parts.
The use of silica gel is more of a preventive measure than a direct use in cleaning the camera. It should be put into your camera bag. The silica gel aims to absorb moisture that may gather inside the camera bag.
Moisture has a huge impact on the various parts of the camera including your lenses when stored in the bag, so it is necessary to keep a silica gel sachet in the camera bag.
A camera dustless cotton swab is an excellent cleaning tool for sensor maintenance. These are very easy to use and highly affordable.
The swab can be dipped in cleaning fluid and then moved along the sensor. The first applies the fluid where there is the need and use the second swab to wipe off the fluid.
A Quick Guide on How to Maintain Your Camera
Make use of an air blower
Your camera lens is a very sensitive part. Make sure you do not cause any scratches while trying to clean the lens. For this reason, an air blower should be the first tool you apply when cleaning the lens.
The air blower will release air that is strong enough to blow all the large particles off the lens surface. These are the particles that can scratch the lens if you try using a cloth or a brush to remove them.
Make use of a soft brush
There are specs of dust that are often difficult to remove with the blower. Using a brush in this situation will be suitable.
There is no need for pressure when removing the dust. You can remove dust within minutes. You can also use the brush on a lens pen.
Use a lens pen in cleaning the glass
A lens pen usually has two sides, a soft brush, and a soft cleaning pad. The cleaning pad becomes useful at this point. It is suitable to avoid damaging the glass since the pad is soft.
You can move the lens pen around the surface to remove any marks on the surface. Do this until there is no visible mark on the surface. You must understand that this process may take a while. Don’t lose your cool and resort to applying pressure on the lens surface.
Clean your lens cap
Sometimes, you may have issues with dirt getting on a lens immediately after cleaning. It may simply be due to the transfer of dirt from the lens cap. To avoid this issue, you must clean the lens cap before replacing it.
Follow the same steps at the lens front element. Simply use a blower to eliminate the larger dust particles and then use a brush to wipe off leftover dust spec.
Cleaning the rear element
The part of the lens that goes into the camera is the rear element. You must keep this area clean as it is easy for particles to get to the sensor from the rear element. Nonetheless, it is not supposed to be as dirty as the other parts.
The first step is to set up the camera so that the bottom of the lens is downward facing. It is a step that helps ensure you are not blowing the particles back onto the lens.
Depending on how far inside the rear element of a camera is recessed, it is possible to use a microfiber cloth in cleaning.
Remember to clean the lens contacts and mounts. Proper maintenance of the contacts will reduce the likelihood of grime build-up, leading to lens and camera errors.
Clean the lens exterior
Simply using a soft brush to wipe the outside of the camera is a positive step. Go over the entire external area of the lens with the brush.
A hand towel may also come in handy. It will also be important you dip a cloth in water to dampen it and then clean the exterior.
Cleaning the Camera
Unlike the lens, you will have a simpler time cleaning the camera body. Simply get a cloth and a brush. You will need the brush to wipe off dust and dirt from the body of the camera.
The next step is to use the cloth to clean the camera body. You can take off the body cap to remove any form of dust lodged inside the camera. Using the blower should be enough.
You must face the camera mount down when performing this step. It is to help prevent the particles from simply returning to another position inside the camera. The process is essential as it will also minimize the chances of particles getting to your camera sensor.
Benefits of a Cleaning Gear
It maintains the camera image quality
Using the tools in your camera cleaning gear is essential if you want to maintain the high-quality images you are getting from your camera. This may be by cleaning the sensor regularly or cleaning the camera lens.
Eliminating the dust particles that may be on the sensor or cleaning the streaks or marks on the lens will prevent them from appearing on any image you capture using the camera.
It reduces the time you spend editing
When your images keep appearing with marks or spots, you will need to edit these blemishes on any image you take.
Instead of having to repeat this process over and over, simply taking a little time to properly clean your lens and sensor can help eliminate the problem from its root.
The more frequent, the less complicated
If you remain consistent with your camera maintenance, it becomes less stressful to keep it clean.
If you allow a lot of time to pass before performing your camera maintenance, you will find layers of dead skin cells, smudge, and dust that will have accumulated on the camera. These make it very difficult to clean the camera.
Factors to Consider When Selecting a Camera Cleaning Gear
Just like other products available in the market, there are lots of camera cleaning gear available. What separates most of these camera gears is the quality of the gear.
While some offer very high quality, some might be of lower quality. You must understand that price is not a determinant of quality.
When selecting a camera cleaning gear, you should be searching for a gear that offers high quality.
A high-quality gear will usually last a long period. The tools that make up a high-quality gear do not damage the parts of the camera you are cleaning or produce additional work. It means they are safe and mild on the camera.
The portability of the gear is another important consideration when making a choice. Depending on how much you are willing to spend and the gear you are purchasing, you may end up getting a carrying case or not.
A carrying case is great as it allows you to fit all the tools in an organized manner.
If you have a camera bag with storage space for tools, you can opt for a cleaning gear that doesn’t include a case. If not, you should find one that comes with a case.
While some gears sell at higher prices due to the quality they offer, there are those with prices that are simply a reflection of the features they offer. Depending on the type of camera you own, the features you require may differ.
Although it is not applicable in all cases, most cleaning gears available at a higher price offer the user a higher quality and more features. You should make your choice based on the quality and the type of camera you own.
1. Gizga Essentials GZ-CK-104 Cleaning Kit – Our Pick
Gizga Essentials is a company that has continuously provided some of the best in camera accessories.
The GZ-CK-104 is a complete set that will offer you the best experience while cleaning your camera. It has all the cleaning tools you need to keep your camera in its best quality.
- It includes a great quality lens cleaning fluid that is suitable for use on different surfaces, including LCDs, computers, and cameras.
- This is a 6-in-1 kit that is suitable for various cleaning purposes, including camera and lens cleaning.
- The kit has a powerful dust blower that utilizes a high-quality rubber and a nozzle that removes dust with ease.
- There is two microfiber cloth available in different sizes for different cleaning occasions.
- The brush is suitable for dust removal but also eliminates static charge during the cleaning process.
- The set comes with 10 cotton swabs to remove smudges, stains, and dirt easily.
- Cleaning lens surfaces is easy with two unique types of microfiber cloth available in this set.
- The cloth is big enough with a dimension of 180mm x 155mm for an effective clean
- The blower is very effective and hardly takes any time to remove dust.
- The quantity of cleaning fluid is quite less.
2. Altura Photo Professional Cleaning Kit – Best for APS-C Sensor
Altura Photo is a company that revolves around providing high-quality camera accessories. These accessories include flashes, lenses, travel bags and cases, as well as cleaning kits. This cleaning kit from Altura has a lot of excellent cleaning tools and a sturdy carry case for when you are travelling.
Each and every tool in this set is designed to carefully clean your expensive camera without much hassle and provide you with clean results each time.
- It includes 6 sensor cleaning swabs for wiping the sensor and lens with ease.
- There is a cleaning brush in the kit to remove dust particles.
- A lens cleaning pen is available to remove the smallest of stains.
- It comes with multiple MagicFiber cleaning cloths that have a reasonable size that is easy to hold when cleaning and doesn’t cause any scratch since it is a microfiber material
- It has 50 lenses cleaning tissue paper is available in the kit
- There is an all-natural camera lens cleaning solution to ensure that users do not damage their camera using the wrong fluid
- The tools that make up the cleaning kit are all stored in a hard-shell carrying case that makes it easy to arrange the items
- The MagicFiber cleaning cloth is eco-friendly in design which implies that they do not contain dye or chemical
- The sturdy carry case makes this cleaning kit easy to move around with while occupying minimal space
- Removing dust particles is very simple and hardly takes a few seconds with the help of the air blower
- There are only 6 sensor swabs and getting an additional swab from the company is not an option, and users need to purchase the whole kit in this situation
3. FotoCart Professional Clean Pro 9
Keeping your camera clean is highly important. If you regularly go for outdoor shoots, there is a good chance that your camera might accumulate dust here and there. This may affect pictures and the durability of the camera.
Fotocart understands your needs and brings to you this camera cleaning kit that is effective and budget-friendly.
- This is a multi-purpose cleaning kit that contains a professional lens pen, cleaning cloth, cleaning brush, air blower, liquid solution, tissue, dustless cotton swab, wet and dry wipes.
- This 9-in-1 set is very compact, allowing you to carry it with you anywhere.
- The lens brush comes with a high-grade anti-static brush that is very soft which helps in removing stains and fingerprints without affecting the coating.
- It comes with a wedge-shaped microfiber cleaning cloth for effective cleaning.
- The set also offers dustless cotton swab, tissue, wet and dry wipes to get rid of any dust on the lens while you are travelling.
- The liquid solution provided can also be used on devices, crystals, watches, and spectacles.
- The powerful blower can easily blow away the dust.
- Since this is a multipurpose cleaning kit, you can use it to clean your laptop, smartphones, binoculars and keyboards as well.
- The cleaning solution is very less in quantity.
4. Photron Clean Pro 6-in-1 Cleaning Kit – Our pick from the expensive range
Photron is a brand that is established by Photron Inc., a company that also serves as the sole owner. The company bypasses the use of distributors in the sales of its products to offer both a lower price to its customers and ensure they get the proper information from dealers that understand the products.
This 6-in-1 cleaning kit is a collection of all the main cleaning tools that all users will need with a high-quality that makes them durable.
- There is a cleaning brush that users can easily use in removing dust particles from the camera and lens surface.
- It comes with six cotton swabs that are useful in cleaning holes and channels in the camera that are narrow.
- Cleaning the camera lens and eliminating dust is easier by using a blower available in the kit.
- To prevent scratch marks due to the use of regular clothes, a microfiber cleaning cloth is included in the kit.
- There is a multi-purpose cleaning fluid that eliminates the need for soapy water in cleaning the camera.
- It has optical lens cleaning tissues that do a good job wiping grease marks, fingerprints, and smudges off the camera.
- This versatile kit is suitable for use in cleaning binoculars, keyboards, laptops, cameras, and so on.
- The high quality of the items in the kit help in preventing damage or shedding of cloth materials
- All the tools are of compact size, allowing you to travel with them easily.
- The cleaning fluid could have been more effective.
5. AmazonBasics Cleaning Kit for DSLR Cameras – Quality on a budget
Amazonbasics is a Amazon-owned brand that is taking advantage of ways to become the most sought-after company for your needs. They offer a high range of products, including DSLR camera cleaning kit.
This is a very travel-friendly kit that includes a cleaning pen, brush, air blower, micro-fibre cloth, and 50 tissue pack. With this pack, you are sure to have a hassle-free camera cleaning experience.
- Suitable for cleaning multicoated lenses with the lens cleaning tissue paper present in each package.
- A soft brush is available to ensure users easily wipe the dust off the camera’s surface without any scratches.
- The soft cleaning pad and a retractable soft brush on a two-sided lens pen make it easy to use in the removal of smudges and fingerprints.
- There is microfiber cleaning cloth pack that is useful in cleaning the different types of camera surface.
- The air blower is suitable for removing dust from the body of the camera, lens, or any other part you may need it to work on
- An empty fluid bottle that lets you refill the contents of the liquid spray bottle
- It comes with 3 high-quality cleaning cloths that do not scratch or damage any part of the camera during use.
- The pack contains 50 sheets of cleaning tissue that you throw once used while travelling.
- It doesn’t include a cleaning fluid.
6. Kamron Cleaning Kit for Cameras – Multi-purpose
Kamron provides essential camera accessories for every photographer need. The company provides good quality filters, screen guards, bags, stands, studio and camera accessories, etc. One such product by them is this camera cleaning kit that we have reviewed below.
If you intend to keep your camera in excellent working conditions, then this cleaning kit is an essential addition to your camera set up.
- There is a lens cleaning fluid from the manufacturer, and it doesn’t include alcohol in its content for effective cleaning.
- It comes with lens cleaning tissue that is lint-free to make it suitable for the process.
- The kit includes a microfiber cloth that is easy to maintain and simple to clean the camera surface.
- There is a lens pen in this kit that makes it easy to clean the lens.
- An air blower is also available for using air to remove dust and other particles that will cause scratches if a cloth or brush is used directly.
- This 5-in-1 kit is ideal for anyone who is looking for an economical solution to regularly clean their camera.
- It is a multi-purpose cleaning tool that is suitable for binoculars, cameras, laptops, LCDs, and more.
- There is no carry case for storing the various items for portability.
7. Sonia 3 in 1 Cleaning Kit for Cameras Lenses – Our pick for the casual photographer
A great brand that focuses on the photography industry Sonia keeps impresses its customers with a lot of high-end camera accessories. Customers have access to their tripods, monopods, flashes, camera backpacks, cleaning accessories, etc.
Here we are reviewing their camera cleaning kit. This cleaning gear provides the essential tools that you will require to perform adequate maintenance of the camera.
- It comes with a two-sided lens pen that can be very versatile during the cleaning process.
- There is a cleaning cloth for eliminating dust and other particles from the camera’s surface and body.
- It comes with an air blower to ensure you don’t end up using your mouth to blow air on any part of the camera.
- The brush on the lens pen is fine and soft, with an anti-static quality that makes it excellent for cleaning.
- A multi-laminate nanoscale active carbon powder on the lens pen makes it a great tool when cleaning the camera lens.
- The lens pen has a slider that makes it possible to slide-in the brush and prevent it from attracting dust and other dirt particles.
- There is a quality nozzle for directing air when using the air blower.
- It has an affordable price tag.
- The kit lacks other essential tools since it is just a pack of 3 kits.
8. SYGA Cleaning Kit for DSLR Cameras – Reusable fluid
The SYGA cleaning kit is a collection of the necessary tools that you will need to maintain a camera. It also includes a cleaning fluid that is safe and mild on the camera to prevent any form of damage that may result in additional costs to the user.
SYGA always offers top quality products to its customers to get the maximum value if you own a camera SYGA cleaning kits a must-have for you.
- There is a reusable fluid spray bottle that users can refill with a cleaning fluid, wash after use, and refill again.
- It has an air blower that provides the opportunity for users to blow the dust off the body of the camera, the lens, sensor, and other parts.
- To avoid causing any form of damage during the cleaning process, there is a cleaning cloth that you can use.
- The nozzle on the air blower provides users with the ability to accurately target areas with dust when cleaning.
- The soft cleaning brush is an excellent addition for cleaning off the dust and other smaller particles on the camera lens and surfaces without any damage.
- It provides all the materials for effectively cleaning a camera at a very affordable price.
- The cleaning cloth is of good quality and can be used on other electronics as well for cleaning.
- All the tools are of a compact size which makes them travel-friendly even for outdoor shoots.
- The accessories available in this tool kit are limited.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can the cleaning mechanism on a camera be helpful?
The cleaning mechanism is available on most of the recent DSLR cameras and a mirrorless camera. It is a mechanism that will vibrate upon activation.
The vibration will affect either the sensor filter or the sensor itself. This enables it to shake off dust, hair, or loose particles to eliminate any mark on the images.
The main issue with this mechanism is deciding the right time to activate it. On most cameras, the user oversees making the decision. You can decide to select on, off, or both on/off for the mechanism to activate.
Setting the machine to vibrate when you power on the camera causes a delay in the start-up of the camera. It means you may be unable to get a perfect image at the right time.
Streets and sports photographers often have an issue with this type of set-up, but landscape photographers have no issues.
2. How do I effectively use a blower in cleaning my camera?
Depending on how you use a cleaning tool, it may either ease your work or make it more stressful. A good example to explain this point is the blower.
Sometimes, when using the blower to remove dust particles from the inside of the camera, you might succeed in getting the dust to move around the camera and come to rest at the same position or a different part inside the camera.
To become more effective in using a blower to clean the inside of the camera, just set the camera in a way that the lens mount will be facing downwards. With this setup, you can then go on to use the blower on the sensor and other parts of the camera.
3. Is there a reason why I should not be blowing air on the camera sensor?
A lot of photographers have perfected the art of blowing air from their mouth onto the camera lens or sensor and then cleaning. You may consider this an effective cleaning method, but it would do a lot of good to avoid this cleaning method.
Blowing air from your mouth may introduce saliva on the camera lens or sensor, and this will cause marks and streaks when cleaning the camera. A sensor cleaning kit is your best bet here.
4. Is there any issue with not performing maintenance as quickly as possible?
Sometimes, delaying the camera maintenance process is the mistake most photographers make. It may often lead to more severe damage to the camera parts.
It doesn’t matter if the design of the camera makes it dust-proof or weatherproof, it is essential you swiftly dry and dusts it if it is exposed to a dusty or damp environment.
Simply use a cloth to absorb the moisture on the camera while the blower and brush can be effective in removing the dust particles.
The blower can remove the sand and dust particles on a camera without causing a scratch. If you use the camera at a beach, then you should be ready to remove salt and sand. In the case of salt, a damp cloth can help.
5. How do I identify sensor spots?
In the identification of sensor spots, the first thing is to understand how you can find the sensor spot using an image. In this case, if there is a spot at the bottom-left of the image, it means there is a spot on the top right corner of the sensor. The positions are reversed.
Sometimes, just taking an image at a narrow aperture can help. You can choose an f/22 and then zoom into the image. While zoomed in, move around the image to see if you will identify a spot on the image.
Don’t underestimate the effect of a sensor spot on your image. Identifying them early and eliminating the spots will be very helpful.
Investing in a good quality camera cleaning kit can allow your camera to be of use for more time.
Taking care of your things is what we have learned from the start and to help you with that we have listed the top cleaning kits in this article. We hope that once you go through the benefits of using the cleaning kit, you now believe in the power of regular maintenance.
To help you out even more here are our top recommendations that you can choose from to clean your camera with and increase its life. Here are our picks Gizga GZ-CK-104 Professional 6-in-1 Cleaning Kit, Altura Photo Professional Cleaning Kit and Photron Clean Pro 6-in-1 Cleaning Kit.