Top 10 Camera Cleaning Gear
The mistake a lot of people make when using their cameras is a failure to perform regular maintenance. Most users wait until the camera accumulates layers of fingerprints, dead skin, cells, or smudges before they decide to visit a professional camera cleaning service.
Camera cleaning is an important aspect you have to consider if you want to develop your self as a photographer. With regular photography sessions, it is easy for deposits of dirt and dust to build up in the body of the camera as well as on the buttons you use very often.
It is also common to find dust, dirt, hair, and other particles inside the camera. This is often possible when you are changing the camera lens. In a short time, you will have some of these particles resting on the camera sensor.
These become noticeable as the specs and spots on the images you take as well as those you print. A lot of individuals prefer to take the camera to a professional cleaning service to solve these problems.
If this is the case, why do they wait a long time before taking it for cleaning? The answer is simple. A professional cleaning service is quite expensive. In most cases, the cost of a single cleaning service will cost as much as a cleaning gear.
To achieve your cleaning goals, it is important you purchase a cleaning gear. There are various cleaning accessories available in the gear and each is essential to your goal.
With a good cleaning gear, you can properly maintain your camera and make it last a much longer period. We have researched and listed down everything you need to know that will help you buy the right cleaning gear like what it is, the benefits of using it, inclusions in a camera cleaning kit, Factors to consider and tips to maintain your camera. Apart from this, we have also listed the 10 best cleaning kits available online and also answered the commonly asked questions.
Top 10 Products Review
Best for APS-C Sensor
Our pick for the most cleaning tools at a decent price
Our pick from the expensive range
Our pick for cameras in use around a beach
Quality on a budget
Our pick for the casual photographer
Our pick from the low range
What Is a Camera Cleaning Gear?
The cleaning gear is simple a collection of tools that are very useful in cleaning and maintaining a camera. In addition to the replacement of parts, you also need to ensure that the camera is in good condition for use. Sometimes, simple maintenance can eliminate issues that are costing you money in replacements.
There are various tools that are available in camera cleaning gear. These tools are listed in this review.
Tools found in a camera cleaning gear
A blower is an essential part of a cleaning kit. It is necessary if you intend to use air in the removal of dust particles from the camera. It is a great choice since it helps in preventing the use of compressed air in cleaning the camera.
In most cases, it is best that you use the blower on the exterior parts of the camera. One of the benefits of a blower in comparison to blowing air directly from your mouth is that you can avoid spraying saliva on the camera.
There are different types of blowers in the market. You can check out online for all the varied options available. Most of the latest designs come with anti-static properties as well as filters.
The material used in most of the more recent blowers is silicon. Unlike the rubber blowers, there is no degradation of the material that may result in particles. In rubber blowers, it is easy to blow these particles on the camera.
Like with every purchase you make, quality is also important when purchasing a camera cleaning brush. A soft-bristled brush is also recommended since they can easily fit into the crevices on the camera to remove dust.
For camera cleaning purposes, choosing a Camel hair brush is usually a great option. These brushes are usually soft and fine. These features help in preventing the brush from scratching or leaving marks on the lens and camera body.
You must be careful when using a brush. To avoid the transfer of oil, grime, or grease, do not touch the bristles of the brush when cleaning the camera. You can also invest in a retractable brush that is available on a lens cleaning pen.
It is possible to use either a cleaning cloth or cleaning tissue when performing camera maintenance. It is possible to use the cloth in cleaning the camera on more than a single occasion. These make them an excellent option to use in place of a cleaning tissue.
Since you will be using the cleaning cloth multiple times, it is important you keep it clean. It is an important process that helps in eliminating particles, grime, and dirt from previous uses. Avoiding the use of fabric softeners to clean the cloth is also essential. It is possible for the cloth to produce streaks due to residue from the softener chemical.
Simply wash the cloth after every use. Large particles on the camera when using a cleaning cloth will result in scratches. You need to use a blower before applying the use of a cleaning cloth. A common material for a cleaning cloth is the Microfiber.
If you decide to use a tissue for camera maintenance, ensure it is a lens cleaning tissue. Lens cleaning is a safer alternative for your camera. With facial tissue, you may find a few that contain oils while others have an abrasive design. Using these facial tissues may result in streaks or scratches on the lens.
One of the benefits of lens tissue is the cost. It is available at a very affordable price. As a result, it is only suitable for single use. You will have to dispose of the tissue after cleaning the lens.
The dedicated camera cleaners are also known as optical cleaning fluids. These cleaners are alcohol-based solutions that are safe to apply to the optical coatings of the camera.
You may be tempted to use a regular cleaning fluid to maintain your camera. There are lots of reasons why this will not be a good option. These fluids often contain either acetone or ammonia in the solution. The effects of these include damage to the coating on the camera as well as the body.
To use the solution, you need to apply it using a cloth or a swab. These prevent you from pouring excess fluid as you would when applying directly on the surface. Excess liquid on the camera may seep into some of the tight spaces and cause damage to internal parts of the camera.
The use of silica gel is more of a preventive measure than a direct use in cleaning the camera. The gel should be put into your camera bag. The aim of the silica gel is to absorb moisture that may gather inside the camera bag.
It is common for moisture to have a huge impact on the various parts of the camera including your lenses when stored in the bag. With time, a sachet of silica gel will attract a given amount of moisture which will make them lose their effectiveness. At this point, the sachet is due for a change.
Checking for dust particles and spots on your camera sensor is an excellent step in cleaning the sensor. Nonetheless, there is a limit to what you will be able to find using the naked eye. To further improve your chances of identifying spots and particles, having a viewing aid will be of immense benefit.
There are various instruments for this purpose. These include magnifying lenses, specialist loupes, and clip-on glasses.
A camera sensor swab is an excellent cleaning tool for sensor maintenance. These are very easy to use but a user must make the right choice during the purchase of the swabs. To get the most out of a sensor swab, the width of the sensor should be equal to that of the swab.
The swab can be dipped in a cleaning fluid and then moved along the sensor. The first pass is to apply the fluid while there is a second pass to wipe off the fluid.
A Quick Guide on How to Maintain Your Camera
- Make use of an air blower
Your camera lens is a very sensitive part. It is important you don’t cause any scratches when you are trying to clean the lens. For this reason, an air blower is should be the first tool you apply when cleaning the lens.
The air blower will release air that is strong enough to blow all the large particles off the lens surface. These are the particles that can scratch the lens if you try using a cloth or a brush to remove.
- Make use of a soft brush
There are specs of dust that are often difficult to remove with the blower. Using a brush in this situation will be suitable. There is no need for pressure when removing the dust. In a short time, you can get all the dust off the lens. You can also use the brush on a lens pen.
- Use a lens pen in cleaning the glass
A lens pen usually has two sides, a soft brush, and a soft cleaning pad. The cleaning pad becomes useful at this point. It is suitable to avoid damaging the glass since the pad is soft.
You can move the lens pen around the surface in several passes to remove any marks on the surface. Do this until there is no visible mark on the surface. It is important you understand that this process may take a while. Don’t lose your cool and resort to applying pressure on the lens surface.
Clean your lens cap
Sometimes, you may have issues with dirt getting on a lens immediately after cleaning. It may simply be due to the transfer of dirt from the lens cap. To avoid this issue, it is important you clean the lens cap before replacing it.
This also follows the same steps at the lens front element. Simply use a blower to eliminate the larger dust particles and then use a brush to wipe off the spec of leftover dust.
Cleaning the rear element
The part of the lens that goes into the camera is the rear element. It is important you keep this area clean as it is easy for particles to get to the sensor from the rear element. Nonetheless, it is not supposed to be as dirty as the other parts.
The first step is to set up the camera in a way that the bottom of the lens is downward facing. It is a step that helps ensure you are not blowing the particles back onto the lens.
Depending on how far inside the rear element of a camera is recessed, it is possible to make use of microfiber cloth in cleaning. Remember to clean the lens contacts and mounts. Proper maintenance of the contacts will reduce the likelihood of grime build-up that can lead to lens and camera errors.
Clean the lens exterior
Simply using a soft brush to wipe the outside of the camera is a positive step. Go over the entire external area of the lens with the brush. A towel may also come in handy. It will also be important you dip a cloth in water to dampen it and then clean the exterior. It is necessary in a case where you have been to the beach and you need to eliminate salt.
Cleaning the Camera
Unlike the lens, you will have a simpler time cleaning the camera body. Simply get a cloth and a brush. You will need the brush to wipe off dust and dirt from the body of the camera.
The next step is to use the cloth to clean the camera body. You can take off the body cap to remove any form of dust that may be lodged inside the camera. Using the blower should suffice at this point.
It is essential you face the camera mount down when performing this step. It is to help prevent the particles from simply returning to another position inside the camera. The process is essential as it will also minimize the chances of particles getting to your camera sensor.
Benefits of a Cleaning Gear
It maintains the camera image quality
Using the tools in your camera cleaning gear are essential if you want to maintain the high-quality images you are getting from your camera. This may be by cleaning the sensor regularly or cleaning the camera lens. Eliminating the dust particles that may be on the sensor or cleaning the streaks or marks on the lens will prevent them from appearing on any image you capture using the camera.
It reduces the time you spend editing
When your images keep appearing with marks or spots, you will need to edit these blemishes on any image you take. Instead of having to repeat this process over and over, simply taking a little time to properly clean your lens and sensor can help eliminate the problem at its root.
The more frequent, the less complicated
If you remain consistent when it comes to your camera maintenance, it becomes less stressful to keep it clean. If you allow a lot of time to pass before performing your camera maintenance, you will find layers of dead skin cells, smudge, and so on that will have accumulated on the camera. These make it very difficult to clean the camera.
Factors to Consider When Selecting a Camera Cleaning Gear
Similar to the various products available on the market, there are lots of camera cleaning gear available. What separates most of these camera gears is the quality of the gear. While some offer very high quality, some are of lower quality. It is important you understand that price is not a determinant of quality.
When selecting a camera cleaning gear, you should be searching for a gear that offers high quality. A high-quality gear will usually last a long period of use. The tools that make up a high-quality gear do not damage the parts of the camera you are cleaning or produce additional work. It means they are safe and mild on the camera.
The portability of the gear is another important consideration when making a choice. Depending on how much you are willing to spend and the gear you are purchasing, you may end up getting a case or not. A case is great as it allows you to fit in all the tools in an organized manner.
If you have a camera bag with storage space for tools, you can opt for a cleaning gear that doesn’t include a case. If not, it is better you find one that comes with a case.
While some gears sell at higher prices due to the quality they offer, there are those with prices that are simply a reflection of the features they offer. Depending on the type of camera you own, the features you require may differ.
Although it is not applicable in all cases, most cleaning gears that are available at a higher price offer the user a higher quality as well as more features. You should make your choice based on this quality and the type of camera you own.
The types of cleaning tools present in a gear will vary from another. A lot of people often opt for a gear that offers them more tools at a lower price. While this is a great strategy, you may be making your selection at the cost of quality.
For a more reasonable approach, you need to determine how you use the camera and the extent of cleaning you will be performing. If you use the camera around the beach, you need to get a gear that provides the tools you will need in cleaning salt and sand from the camera.
A photographer that intends to clean the camera sensor personally should invest in a kit that provides tools like a magnifying glass and a sensor cleaning swab. These are just a few instances to help.
1. Gizga Essentials GZ-CK-104 Professional 6-in-1 Cleaning Kit – Our Pick
Gizga Essentials is a great company that has continually provided some of the best in camera accessories. Its camera cleaning products remain among the top bestsellers on the Amazon platform which is proof of the high-quality products the company offers.
The GZ-CK-104 is an application of the experience and expertise of the company to solving issues that plague most photographers and camera owners.
- It includes a great quality lens cleaning fluid that is suitable for use on different types of design including LCDs, computers, and cameras.
- This is a 6-in-1 kit that is suitable for various cleaning purposes including camera and lens cleaning
- The kit has a powerful dust blower that utilizes a high-quality rubber and a nozzle that removes dust with ease
- There are two microfiber cloth available in different sizes for different cleaning occasions
- The brush is suitable for dust removal but also eliminates static charge during the cleaning process
- Cleaning lens surfaces is easy with the two unique types of microfiber cloth available
- Most users have appreciated the quality of the cleaning kit
- The cloth is big enough for an effective clean
- The blower is very effective and hardly takes any time to remove dust
- The quantity of the cleaning fluid is quite less
- It is common to find some of the brush hair falling off after some uses
2. Altura Photo Professional Cleaning Kit – Best for APS-C Sensor
Altura Photo is a company that revolves around the sales of high-quality camera accessories. These accessories include flashes, lenses, travel bags and cases, as well as cleaning kits. This cleaning kit may be the most expensive on this list but comes with a lot of excellent cleaning tools and a suitable carry case.
- It includes 6 sensor cleaning swabs for wiping the sensor and lens with ease
- There is a cleaning brush in the kit to remove dust particles
- A lens cleaning pen is available
- It comes with multiple MagicFiber cleaning cloths that have a reasonable size that is easy to hold when cleaning and doesn’t cause any scratch since it is a Microfiber material
- It has 50 lens cleaning tissue paper is available in the kit
- There is an All-Natural cleaning solution to ensure that users do not damage their camera using the wrong fluid
- The tools that make up the cleaning kit are all stored in a hard-shell carrying case that makes it easy to arrange the items
- The MagicFiber cleaning cloths are Eco-friendly in design which implies that they do not contain dye or chemical
- The carry case makes this cleaning kit easy to move around with while occupying minimal space
- Removing dust particles is very simple and hardly takes a few seconds with the help of the air blower
- There are only 6 sensor swabs and getting an additional swab from the company is not an option and users need to purchase the whole kit in this situation
- A few users complain about streaks from the use of the cleaning fluid
3. AOLVO 53-in-1 Professional DSLR Camera Cleaning Kits – Our pick for the most cleaning tools at a decent price
With an excellent grip on the markets, AOLVO is quite popular as a company that offers a wide range of accessories including wristwatches, gamepads, and more. This camera cleaning kit is one of the many accessories they offer. It offers users many tools that will aid in the cleaning and maintenance of their cameras. The inclusion of a carry case also gives it an advantage over other cleaning gear of a similar price.
- It has an air blower that is comfortable to grip, and it is easy to direct the air from the nozzle to a point on the camera
- The set includes a unique lens cleaning pen with two sides that includes a brush head and a carbon head offering users the opportunity to change the shape of the brush
- It comes with 6 cotton swabs and 5 sensor cleaning swabs for effective sensor cleaning
- There are 10 cleaning wipes inclusive of both the wet and dry wipes in the kit
- It features a carrying case that is waterproof making it suitable for storing the cleaning items in any condition
- There is a pack of lens cleaning paper and a mini card box
- It comes with tweezers for gripping small parts of the camera and a soft brush for cleaning off the dust
- The camera cleaning kit is compatible with different types of camera models
- It contains all the essential cleaning accessories an individual will require
- An empty fluid spray bottle is available to fill up with their preferred cleaning fluid in case the original container is too large
- The kit doesn’t include a lens cleaning fluid
4. Photron Clean Pro 6-in-1 Cleaning Kit – Our pick from the expensive range
Photron is a brand that is established by Photron Inc., a company that also serves as the sole owner. The company bypasses the use of distributors in the sales of its products in order to offer both a lower price to its customers and ensure they get proper information from dealers that understand the products.
This 6-in-1 cleaning kit is a collection of the main cleaning tools that all users will need with a high-quality that makes them durable.
- There is a cleaning brush that users can easily use in removing dust particles from the camera and lens surface
- It comes with six cotton swabs which are useful in cleaning holes and channels in the camera that are narrow
- Cleaning the camera lens and eliminating dust is easier with the use of a blower that is available in the kit
- To prevent scratch marks due to the use of regular clothes, a Microfiber cleaning cloth is included in the kit
- There is a multi-purpose cleaning fluid that eliminates the need for soapy water in cleaning the camera
- It has optical lens cleaning tissues that do a good job wiping grease marks, fingerprints, and smudges off the camera
- In a situation where a customer receives the kit with any defective accessory, there is a replacement warranty on the kit
- This is a versatile kit that is suitable for use in cleaning binoculars, keyboards, laptops, cameras, and so on.
- The high quality of the items in the kit help in preventing damage or shedding of cloth materials
- The cleaning fluid could have been more effective
5. Docooler 3 in 1 Dust Cleaner Camera Cleaning Kit – Our pick for cameras in use around a beach
Another popular brand making a name in the Indian market, Docooler offers a wide variety of products. These include webcams, gamepads, battery chargers, camcorders, and many more. A unique selling point of their products is the quality they offer at a reasonable price.
- With just three accessories in the kit, it offers a lot of uses including cleaning of cameras, printers, smartphones, keyboards, TV, etc.
- The microfiber material of the cleaning cloth makes it great for use in cleaning fingerprints, oil stains, and absorption of water
- The lens brush is simple to use and very effective in the removal of dust and stains from sensitive camera parts
- The accessories in this all have an environmentally friendly design and are suitable for multi coated lenses and other optical lenses
- The outlet and inlet systems of the air blower are separate to ensure there is no pollution from one side to the other
- The rubber material used in the design of the air blower has an age resistance feature, good elasticity, and is also environmentally friendly
- The microfiber material of the cleaning cloth is of high-quality
- The air blower makes it easy to blow off the dust from the camera
- There is no warranty on the product
6. AmazonBasics Cleaning Kit for DSLR Cameras and Sensitive Electronics – Quality on a budget
Amazon is a large company that is still taking advantage of ways to become the most sought-after company for your needs. This includes the fabrication of products like a camera cleaning gear. The gear includes various high-quality tools and a warranty to ease the mind of the user.
- Suitable for cleaning multicoated lenses with the lens cleaning tissue paper present in each package
- A soft brush to ensure users can easily wipe the dust off the surface of the camera without any scratches
- The soft cleaning pad and a retractable soft brush on a two-sided lens pen makes it easy to use in the removal of smudges and fingerprints
- There are microfiber cleaning cloths that are useful in cleaning the different types of camera surface available
- The cleaning kit comes with a 1-year warranty for the user
- The air blower is suitable for removing air from the body of the camera, lens, or any other part you may need it to work on
- An empty fluid bottle that lets you refill the contents of the liquid spray bottle
- It comes with 3 high-quality cleaning cloths that do not scratch or damage any part of the camera during use
- Many users have appreciated the quality of the cleaning products
- It doesn’t include a cleaning fluid
7. Kamron Cleaning Kit for Cameras, DSLR’s, Mobile’s, Lenses, Binoculars, LCD, Laptops – Multi-purpose
A company running in India, Kamron provides the essential photography accessories every customer will need. According to the information available on the Facebook page of the company, customers can also gain access to filters, screen guards, bags, stands, studio and camera accessories, etc.
If you intend to keep your camera in excellent working conditions, then this cleaning kit is an essential addition to your camera set up.
- There is a lens cleaning fluid from the manufacturer, and it doesn’t include alcohol in its content
- It comes with lens cleaning tissue that is lint free to make it suitable for the process
- The kit includes a Microfiber cloth that is easy to maintain and also simple to use in cleaning the camera surface
- There is a two-sided lens pen in this kit that increases the versatility of the kit
- An air blower is also available for using air in removing dust and other particles that will cause scratches when using a cloth or brush directly
- A slider mechanism on the lens pen makes it possible to protect the brush while a cover cap protects the carbon brush part
- As a 5-in-1 kit, most of the essential cleaning accessories are available in this cleaning kit
- It is a multi-purpose cleaning tool that is suitable for binoculars, cameras, laptops, LCDs, and more
- There is no carry case for storing the various items that make up the kit for easy portability
8. Sonia 3 in 1 Cleaning Kit for Cameras Lenses – Our pick for the casual photographer
A great brand with a focus on the photography industry, Sonia keeps wooing its customers with a lot of high-end photography accessories. Customers have access to Tripods, Monopods, Flashes, camera backpacks, cleaning accessories, etc.
The cleaning gear provides the essential accessories that a user will require to perform adequate maintenance of their camera.
- It comes with a two-sided lens pen that can be very versatile during the cleaning process
- There is a cleaning cloth for eliminating dust and other particles from the surface and body of the camera
- The lens pen has a slider that makes it possible to slide-in the brush and prevent it from attracting dust and other dirt particles
- An air blower is available to ensure users don’t end up using their mouth to blow air on any part of the camera
- The brush on the lens pen is fine and soft with an antistatic quality that makes it excellent for cleaning
- The carbon head is useful in absorbing stains and dirt from the surface of a lens
- There is a multi-laminate nanoscale active carbon powder on the lens pen that makes it a great tool when cleaning the camera lens
- Customers get a 10 days replacement on the product in case of any defect
- There is a quality nozzle for directing air when using the air blower
- Has an affordable price tag
- The kit lacks other essential tools since it is just a pack of 3 kit
9. SYGA Cleaning Kit for DSLR Cameras and Sensitive Electronics – Reusable fluid
The SYGA cleaning kit is a collection of the necessary tools that a user will need to maintain a camera. It also includes a cleaning fluid that is safe and mild on the camera to prevent any form of damage that may result in additional costs to the user.
- There is a reusable fluid spray bottle that users can refill with a cleaning fluid, wash after use, and refill again
- It has an air blower that provides the opportunity for users to blow the dust off the body of the camera, the lens, sensor, and other parts
- To avoid causing any form of damage during the cleaning process, there is a cleaning cloth that users can utilize
- The nozzle on the air blower provides users with the ability to accurately target areas with dust when cleaning
- The soft cleaning brush is an excellent addition for cleaning off the dust and other smaller particles on the camera lens and surfaces without any damage
- It provides all the materials for effectively cleaning a camera at a very affordable price
- Although it is missing some accessories, users can use the kit is achieving a thorough cleaning process that is also safe
- The accessories available in this tool kit are limited while others are missing from the kit
10. DAHSHA RiaTech Cleaning Kit – Our pick from the low range
RiaTech is an Indian company with a registered trademark number dated 23rd February 2017 under the Indian Trade Marks Act. The company produces a lot of great computer accessories including power cables, Wi-Fi adapters, laptop locks, cleaning wipes, cleaning kits, and many more.
This is one of their cleaning kits that is available at a very affordable rate to the consumer.
- It includes a microfiber cloth that is lint-free and for polishing and drying surfaces without leaving any streak
- The cleaning fluid is safe for use on various surfaces since it is free from ammonia and alcohol
- The material of the cleaning cloth offers durability while also preventing scratches during cleaning
- It comes with a 150ml cleaning fluid spray bottle with a solution
- There is a one-year warranty on the product
- Suitable for use on most LCD panels and it is also ideal for handheld devices and notebook computers
- The cleaner has an excellent fragrance and it doesn’t contain aerosol
- The price of the cleaning kit is among the lowest and most affordable on the market
- It comes with both a cleaning fluid spray bottle and the fluid
- A user stated that the cleaning liquid quantity is too less
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does my environment affect my cleaning?
The effect of the environment on your camera cleaning is often a factor that differentiates a professional cleaning service from your cleaning. Nonetheless, it is not a serious issue. A lot of professional cleaners usually have special locations free of dust and other particles where they perform camera maintenance.
To reduce the effect of the environment when cleaning, you can choose a location that will be free of particles. Moisture can help remove dust from the air. It is very easy to achieve this condition in a bathroom after running your shower from some minutes. You should also avoid dirty or dusty areas when cleaning the camera.
2. Choosing to clone when you can clean
A common problem with a dirty camera sensor is the appearance of marks on various images around the same spot. To quickly remove the marks on an image, a photographer can decide to clone out these marks. The process is quite effective but will require the photographer to repeat it for each image.
An easier option is to simply clean the camera sensor to permanently eliminate these marks. It will also help save time in the future.
3. Can the cleaning mechanism on a camera be helpful?
The cleaning mechanism is available on most of the recent DSLR cameras and a mirrorless camera. It is a mechanism that will vibrate upon activation. The vibration will affect either the sensor filter or the sensor itself. This enables it to shake off dust, hair, or lose particles to eliminate any mark on the images.
The main issue with this mechanism is deciding the right time to activate it. On most cameras, the user oversees making the decision. You can decide to select on, off, or both on/off for the mechanism to activate.
Setting the mechanism to vibrate when you power on the camera will cause a delay in the start-up of the camera. It means you may be unable to get a perfect image at the right time. Streets and sports photographers often have an issue with this type of set-up, but landscape photographers have no issues.
4. How do I effectively use a blower in cleaning my camera?
Depending on how you use a cleaning tool, it may either ease your work or make it more stressful. A good example to explain this point is the blower. Sometimes, when using the blower in trying to remove dust particles from the inside of the camera, you might succeed in getting the dust to move around the camera and come to rest at the same position or a different part inside the camera.
To become more effective in using a blower to clean the inside of the camera, just set the camera in a way that the lens mount will be facing downwards. With this setup, you can then go on to use the blower on the sensor and other parts of the camera.
5. Is there a reason why I should not be breathing on the camera sensor?
A lot of photographers have perfected the art of blowing air from their mouth onto the camera lens or sensor and then cleaning. You may consider this to be an effective cleaning method, but it would do a lot of good to avoid this method of cleaning.
Blowing air from your mouth may introduce saliva on the camera lens or sensor, and this will cause marks and streaks when cleaning the camera.
6. Is canned air a good option for camera cleaning?
A lot of people make use of canned air in cleaning their camera. It is an effective cleaning tool if it is used correctly. The composition of the canned air is the main reason why it may become an issue when used incorrectly.
The canned air contains liquid hydrocarbons in addition to the air in the container. To ensure that the air is easily compressible, the liquid hydrocarbons are necessary. The cold feeling of the can while in use is often from the liquid hydrocarbons.
If you make the mistake of releasing the hydrocarbon on fragile components like the sensor of the camera, it may cause it to freeze. Although it may not damage the sensor in some cases, it is not a very good idea.
Canned air can be a great addition to your cleaning gear if you know the right way to handle it.
7. Is there any issue with not performing maintenance as quickly as possible?
Sometimes, delaying the camera maintenance process is the mistake most photographers make. It may often lead to more severe damage to the camera parts.
It doesn’t matter if the design of the camera makes it dust-proof or weatherproof, it is essential you swiftly dry and dusts it if it is exposed to a dusty or damp environment. Simply use a cloth to absorb the moisture on the camera while the blower and brush can be effective in removing the dust particles.
The blower can remove the sand and dust particles on a camera without causing a scratch. If you use the camera in a beach environment, then you should be ready to remove salt and sand. In the case of salt, a damp cloth can help.
8. How do I identify sensor spots?
In the identification of sensor spots, the first thing is to understand how you can find the sensor spot using an image. In this case, if there is a spot at the bottom-left of the image, it means there is a spot on the top right corner of the sensor. The positions are reversed.
Sometimes, just taking an image at a narrow aperture can help. You can choose an f/22 and then zoom into the image. While zoomed in, move around the image to see if you will identify a spot on the image.
Don’t underestimate the effect of a sensor spot on your image. Identifying them early and eliminating the spots will be very helpful.
Getting a camera cleaning kit is essential if you want it to last a long time. To ease the process, we have made a list of some great products you can start with.
For users that don’t mind the price, the Altura Professional cleaning kit offers a lot of cleaning tools. It also has a unique swab that is specially designed for APS-C sensors.
The Gizga Essentials GZ-CK-104 Professional 6-in-1 Cleaning Kit is available at a very low price but offers few tools in comparison to other products. It is a great option for a casual photographer.