Best Baby Hammocks
A baby hammock can put even the fussiest babies to sleep. It cradles and provides them with a sense of comfort and protection.
Newborn babies need to adapt to a completely new world, and a hammock helps accelerate this process.
Apart from helping them sleep, it has various health benefits. The rocking mechanism has a calming effect and replicates the environment of a womb. It provides an arched back that the babies are used to in the womb.
In this guide, we will get to know about the types, the benefits of using one, buying guide, learn a few safety tips, frequently asked questions, and the top 11 best baby hammocks available in the market for your baby.
Top 11 Baby Hammocks
Best fabric feature
Safe for Babies
Best safety feature
Best durability feature
Best wooden stand hammock
Best portability feature
Best affordable hammock
Safe Choice for babies
Best breathability feature
Benefits of using a baby hammock
Gives the baby a womb-like experience
Baby hammocks are a safe and effective option for kids. With it, your baby will enjoy a cradled enclosure, one that feels just like being in the womb.
This feeling will provide your baby with a sense of security and enable them to sleep deeply and peacefully.
Helps in distributing your baby’s weight evenly
A hammock will uniformly distribute the weight of your baby evenly relieving them from pain in the muscles and joints.
You have to ensure that you get a properly designed hammock if you want to achieve this, as it helps reduce the risk of flathead.
Helps the baby to sleep with ease
Hammocks help kids to sleep with ease and with their heads slightly elevated. If your baby suffers from chronic reflux, they’ll highly benefit from using it.
It will also keep your baby sleeping on the back which is the safest position to sleep in.
A hammock swings your baby back to sleep with ease
Should your baby wake up, a gentle swing on a hammock will send her back to sleep? As they grow and start to wiggle on their own, getting back to sleep will even get much easier since they’ll settle themselves back to sleep.
Best for kids with special needs
If you have a very restless baby who suffers from colic, infant reflux, or a short napper, a hammock will help you a great deal.
Your baby will sleep peacefully and comfortably at all times as it provides kids with a soothing effect and thus the best.
Lightweight and take less space
When going for a hammock, you won’t have to worry about the size of your room or that you don’t have storage space due to its huge size.
Hammocks are light in weight and also small in size. Most come in foldable designs and even with storage bags. You can carry it with you if traveling with your kid.
Safety Tips for baby hammocks
Pay proper attention to the system of securing the hammock. Ensure that the harnesses are adjustable and that the springs are firm enough to hold your baby in position at all times.
The hammock should have a security lock to ensure that your baby doesn’t get out. Some hammocks come with a mesh cover with a zipper on top which is also a better option.
You also need to ensure the hammock has a recline lock system. The system will make it possible for you to leave the hammock standing firmly in the destined position without the worry that it might topple down.
Always ensure that you have a good view of your baby when resting in the hammock. Check regularly to ensure that he remains on his back.
Only use the hammock if your baby is in the correct weight limit.
At no time should you add pillows, blankets, or any other bedding. Such items can suffocate your baby.
Ensure that the frame is strong enough to support the weight of your baby. Also, check that the fabric is strong enough as well.
Go for a hammock with either soft cotton or linen fabric as these are easy to remove and wash.
Always ensure that you suspend the hammock from a place that is secure and well balanced. Check the fastenings from time to time since the constant swaying may loosen the attachment points.
Read all safety instructions carefully and follow them.
Types of baby hammocks
Traditional Indian cloth hammocks
With this hammock cradle for baby, a hook is hung in the ceiling and used to suspend a cloth. The cloth is usually a cotton sari around 5 meters in length.
To use this hammock, you won’t require a special stand. You’ll also get the chance to adjust its height per your needs.
You can hang the hammock just over your bed as this will make it easy for you to watch over your baby and also have quick access to them, especially at night.
Hammocks with four-legged stands
These hammocks have a horizontal stand that connects the stand’s legs. The rod helps in suspending the cloth hammock.
Some of these hammocks come with a string that helps in swinging the baby if they can’t wiggle on their own.
Baby crib hammocks
These are cloth hammocks that come with a safety bed. It comes with straps that you tie on the edges of the bed. They come in a specific design that mimics the comfort your baby when in the womb.
When going for this type of hammock, ensure that the straps are firm enough to support the weight of your baby. Also, go for hammocks that fit well in the safety bed.
One downside of baby crib hammocks is that they provide inadequate support to babies.
Crotchet Baby hammocks
These are merely hammocks made from crocheting. They come in various designs and very strong to hold your baby safely.
These are best used in warmer climates since they have enough room for breathing keeping your baby cool.
The following are the things to look out for when purchasing a hammock for your baby.
The weight of your baby
Different baby hammocks come with varying capacities of weight. You have to ensure that the one you get for your baby can hold her weight comfortably and safely at all times.
You also do not want to get a hammock that your baby outgrows after a short time.
You should check if the hammock has safety features so the baby does not fall out of the hammock.
You need to consider the material used to make the hammock if you want the best for your little one.
Go for one made from natural fibers to ensure that your baby gets a safe breathing environment at all times and does not cause rashes on your child’s skin.
Get one with a firm mattress that will provide enough support to your baby while still providing a natural cradle. A firm mattress will enable your baby to sleep in the best sleeping positions and keep them safe from breathing difficulties.
To get the right fit, ensure that you purchase the mattress together with the hammock.
Go for a hammock that comes in a design that allows your baby to sleep comfortably on their back. Such a design keeps the baby safe from suffocation.
The design will make it impossible for the kid to roll on his tummy.
Springs and clips used
Hammocks get suspended in the air and to do so; you’ll need springs and clips as they are safer to use and also make the work much more manageable. Different brands used different clips and springs in the hanging mechanism of baby hammocks.
Sometimes, you may be traveling with your baby, and thus the need to get a portable baby hammock that you can carry along with ease. Go for one that you can assemble and disassemble with ease.
Also, ensure that you get a lightweight hammock and avoid the big ones.
Perfect support base
Ensure that you get your baby a hammock with a strong support base. The safety of your baby will always come first and thus the need to ensure that nothing compromises it.
If it comes with a frame, check well to ascertain its strength before you pay for it. Also, ensure that it has rubber grips to hold it firmly.
Getting a durable hammock will save you the trouble of going for shopping sprees from time to time. The hammock can also be passed on to other siblings.
1. Younique Baby Cradle Swing – Our pick
This hammock will help your newborn to relax and sleep comfortably at all times. It has a comfy bed attached inside and a mosquito net to protect them from mosquito bites.
The hammock has soft safe and skin-friendly fabric suitable for superior comfort. The fabric is 100% non-protruding fibers, unlike other cradles that come with stinging fabrics.
The material makes it easy to wash and dry irrespective of changes in the climatic conditions.
It comes with a hood that helps in supporting your baby’s head and keeping him warm as well. The hammock comes designed in such a way that it holds your baby and reduce any risk of choking that mostly happen in traditional cradles.
This hammock will work best with newborns to 18 months old. It comes with a strong spring set that will hold your baby securely at all times.
- Has a comfortable bed that will help your baby to relax comfortably and fall into a deep sleep with ease.
- The hammock has soft fibers for superior comfort.
- Comes with a hood that helps in supporting the baby’s head and giving him warmth as well.
- Comes with a mosquito net in a bid to protect your baby safe from mosquito and bug bites.
- Comfortable for the baby.
- Easy to wash and maintain.
- Protects kids from mosquito bites.
- Has very high-quality fabric making it durable.
- The bottom is filled with a synthetic cushion that makes it hot leaving the baby sweaty.
2. Orange and Orchid Baby Cradle Swing – Best fabric feature
This hammock has a high-quality fabric that will support your baby’s weight for a long time without wearing out. It will always make your baby comfortable and also enable him to sleep with ease.
The soft cotton fabric makes it easy for you to hand wash and dry. It comes with an attached bed that makes kids sleep deeply.
It is designed keeping in mind the comfort of your baby in mind and thus one of the best hammocks that you can ever find in the market.
The hammock can hold a maximum weight capacity of 12kgs and thus suitable for kids of 0 to 12 months. It is very light in weight, foldable, and therefore easy to carry when traveling with your baby.
- The hammock has a high-quality fabric that makes it long-lasting
- Designed in a unique way to keep your baby comfortable and safe at all times
- Best for newborns and infants since it has a weight limit of 12kgs
- Lightweight and therefore easy to carry
- Has perfect soft material
- Comfortable for kids
- Lasts for a long time
- Easy to wash by hand
- You need a rod to hang it
- Steel hook not up to the mark
3. BAYBEE Hanging Sleep Swing – Safe for Babies
A 2-in-1 product which comes with a hanging spring and allows your babies to sleep inside it comfortably. BAYBEE Hanging Sleep Swing comes along with a mosquito net which prevents mosquitos from biting them at night.
Let us have a look at the features of this product.
- This product is certified by EN71 certification, which is one of the most stringent certifications defined by European standards. It does not compromise on the safety standard.
- Every minute detail has been taken care of to provide the best protection for your babies. The cradle is safe for use for newborn babies as well, and the strong strings also provide very good support to the hammock.
- Your babies can sleep inside the hammocks in the age gap of 0-12 months or till they weigh 15Kgs.
- The package includes Hanging Cradle + Mosquito Net + Spring Set. The product requires easy self-assembling.
- You can suspend the hammock next to your bed at night to keep an eye on them while sleeping.
- The mattress is of high-quality and hypo-allergenic.
- The cloth is easily detachable and machine-washable.
- The hanging bassinet allows you to easily use the hammock in the outdoors at night as well.
- The bed fiber comes out with use which can irritate the babies.
4. Kidzy King Baby Hammock – Sturdy Design
If looking for the safest hammock for your little tot, Kidzy King Baby Hammock has your back. It is safe as it comes with all safety measures. It is stable and will hold your baby in the right position at all times.
The hammock comes with a mattress that helps in giving your baby all the comfort they deserve to keep her comfortable. It also comes with a mosquito net that protects kids from mosquito and insect bites.
It comes with sturdy springs that are strong enough to hold the weight of your baby.
The cloth fabric is 100% pure cotton and thus very durable. It also has a high-quality mattress cover and therefore easy to clean and dry.
The hammock contains an opening at the top and the front that will keep your baby safe from suffocation and strangulation. The sides have a netted fabric that allows ventilation of fresh air for your baby to breathe.
The hammock is suitable for kids from birth up to when they attain the age of three years. Get it for your baby and help them sleep peacefully and with a lot of ease.
- Has a strong spring set that holds the weight of your baby comfortably.
- The hammock’s fabric is 100% cotton and thus durable and easy to wash and dry.
- Comes with a waterproof bag.
- Has a strong and stable stand that holds kids safely and in position at all times.
- Light in weight and therefore portable.
- Very durable since it comes from high-quality fabric.
- Holds your baby in position safely at all times.
- Enables your baby to breathe with ease due to the clear ventilation.
- The bed might be too curvy for some babies.
5. Dyrect Deals Stainless Steel Baby Cradle – Best safety feature
This cradle is very compact and cozy for your baby. Should you decide to go for it, you can help your baby to relax. You will have a proper view of all that is happening around them at all times.
You can set it up with ease, even without the use of any tools. The cradle is easy to fold and requires very little storage space. You can carry it along with your baby with ease to any destination.
It has a carrying capacity of 20kgs and thus useful to kids within a weight range of 0 to 18 months.
The cradle comes with good rubber grips that hold the frame in position preventing it from falling over with your baby. To save your baby from mosquito bites, it comes with a mosquito net.
- Has sturdy steel pipes that support the weight of your baby protecting her from accidents.
- The cradle has a carrying capacity of 20kg and therefore suitable for newborns and infants.
- Has perfect rubber grips that hold it in position at all times.
- Sturdy to support the weight of your baby.
- Easy to install.
- Light in weight but strong enough to hold the weight of your baby.
- Easy to fold and store.
- The steel rod makes a lot of noise.
- Requires additional cushioning for comfort.
6. A to Z Hub Portable Folding Swing Cradle – Best durability feature
This Indian Ghodiyu baby cradle will keep your baby comfortable at all times. The hammock is entirely safe and will, as a result, protect your baby from breathing problems and flat head syndrome.
You can assemble and disassemble the cradle with ease, even without the use of tools.
It is light in weight, portable, and easy to carry in your car when traveling with your baby. It doesn’t take too much space and therefore very easy to store.
The cradle comes with four pieces of vacuum rubber bands that hold it in position at all times. The frames of the stand are also sturdy enough and will therefore not tip over with your little one risking injuries.
The product comes with a one-year warranty that covers the spare parts of the frame structure. You’ll get all the necessary replacements at no fee during the warranty period.
- Comes with four pieces of vacuum runner bands that help by holding the frame in position.
- Comes with a one-year warranty that covers all spare parts of the frame.
- Has high-quality fabric that makes it durable.
- Easy to carry when moving with your baby.
- Helps the baby to sleep for long hours.
- Has a sturdy steel frame that makes it durable.
- Easy to set up.
- Rubber stands wear off with time.
- Cloth quality not up to the mark.
7. Multipro New Born Baby Ghodiyu Hammock
This Indian style ghodiyu hammock is made from premium quality cotton fabric. It is extremely soft and comfortable to touch.
It works well with standard sized cradles. The hammock weighs 1.5 kg and has a weight capacity of 10 kgs.
- The hammock comes with two steel hangers that offer good support.
- It is strongly stitched hooks for the safety of the baby.
- It has additional cool cushioning extra comfort.
- It comes with a good quality mosquito net with a zipper.
- It ensures that the baby does not come out.
- Babies doze off quickly in this hammock.
- Hooks get worn out quickly.
8. Baby’s Cotton Khoya Travelling Swing with Mosquito Net – Best portability feature
This hammock is the perfect combination of simplicity and safety. It comes in a traditional design that helps in holding babies within the range of 0 to 16 months. You won’t require tools to set it up due to its simple design.
The hammock’s upholstery comes in attractive colors and prints. It is durable and comes with securely fixed sides that make it easy to hang up. The hammock is easy to fold and also very compact for kids.
The compact design of the hammock makes it very easy for you to carry it along when traveling with your baby. It has a carrying capacity of 20kgs and thus very useful for both newborns and toddlers.
It comes with a mosquito net that helps in keeping kids safe from mosquito bites at all times. Its design will work best for kids of both genders and therefore useful for everyone.
It also requires a small storage space.
- Has durable fabric and comes with securely fixed sides.
- Comes in a perfect traditional design perfect for kids.
- Very compact and therefore easy to carry when traveling.
- Requires you to use no tools when setting up.
- Comes in attractive colors and prints perfect for kids.
- Very useful when traveling with your baby.
- Effective for both boys and girls.
- Has a high weight carrying capacity.
- Small in size.
- Stitching not up to the mark.
9. Hay Baby P.H Cradle Swing with Mosquito Net – Best affordable hammock
This cradle is very convenient and very easy to use. It has a mosquito net cover that allows fresh air to your baby while protecting them from insects and mosquitoes.
It has a carrying weight capacity of 20kgs and thus the best for kids of age between 0-18 months. Whether indoors or outdoors, your baby will enjoy its comfort since you can fold and carry it anywhere with ease.
It’s made from cotton fabric and thus more effective and durable than those made from ordinary polyester. It also has an additional cool inner that keeps kids comfortable at all times.
- Comes with a durable cotton cloth that holds kids securely when relaxing or sleeping.
- Has strongly attached hooks for the safety of your baby
- Has iron wire at the edges that make it more stable
- Great quality and sturdy.
- Large in size.
- Excellent color and shine.
- Comes at an affordable price.
- No rings attached.
- Requires you to get a separate stand.
10. INDISWAN Stainless Steel Ghodiyu – Safe Choice for babies
If looking for a hammock that will withstand the weight of your baby and keep him safe from injuries from accidents, this is the hammock for you. You can also assemble it with ease without the help of a professional or tools.
The hammock consists of a frame kit, cloth canopy, and a carry bag and thus a complete set. The frame has stainless steel pipes with resistance to corrosion and rust.
It weighs only 7 kgs and therefore easy to carry even when traveling via air. It will also fit in the trunk of your car and enable your baby to enjoy a relaxed sleep outdoors. It will help your baby to develop healthy sleeping habits.
With just a little motion, the cradle will swing your baby rocking him to sleep. It will help your baby to avoid flat head syndrome, avoid colic, and also improve digestion.
- Comes with four pieces of vacuum rubber pads that prevent the frames from toppling over.
- Has stainless steel frame pipes, durable and robust enough to hold your baby in position at all times.
- Comes with a carry bag that makes it easy to carry when traveling.
- Has a high-quality cloth canopy that doesn’t wear out with ease.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble.
- Requires no tools to set up.
- Contains sturdy corrosion-free frames thus durable.
- Keeps kids healthy and safe.
11. Rareeram Babynest Cradle with Bed Pillow and Mosquito Net – Best breathability feature
This cradle comes in a simple design that makes it easy to install and use. It comes with a durable and robust hanger that helps in suspending your baby in the air without risking them to injuries that can occur from a fall.
It comes with a bed-like platform that gives your baby a comfortable place to relax and sleep. It also comes with a pillow for extra comfort. It will hold your baby correctly and prevent them from choking.
It has a soft and breathable fabric that makes kids feel comfortable and safe. With it, your baby will get a deep, relaxed sleep. The netted texture enables a great airflow allowing your baby to enjoy all the comfort.
The cradle has a maximum weight carrying capacity of 10kgs and therefore best for newborns. You can fold it with ease when traveling and consequently the best for your little one.
- Comes with a sturdy hanger that helps in holding your kid safely.
- Has a soft bed-like platform that helps kids to sleep comfortably
- The cradle has a netted texture that ensures an excellent airflow keeping your baby cool.
- The cradle comes with a pillow for extra comfort.
- Has fine fabric and color.
- Soft and comfortable for newborns.
- Comes at an affordable price.
- Easy to wash and carry.
- Pillow not attached and thus dangerous for your kid as it can strangle them.
- Only good for kids with less weight.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why Are Hammocks better than beds?
Hammocks are a better option for sleeping for babies as compared to other beds because it helps you in a lot of ways. It increases the duration of non-REM sleep, which is very crucial to your physical rest and recuperation.
It boosts sleep-related brain oscillations which are useful in deep sleep, memory, and learning. Studies also show that sleeping in hammocks gives a healthier and peaceful sleep.
2. Are Hammocks safe for babies?
Hammocks are the best and safe option for your kids as they fall asleep faster by replicating the safety and security of their mother’s womb.
3. Are Hammocks comfortable for babies?
Hammocks replicate the womb environment, which makes them comfortable while sleeping.
The soft mattress wraps them around while sleeping, eliminating the hard pressure points along with a gentle motion, it is one of the best options for babies to sleep in.
4. Can I buy a second-hand hammock for my baby?
You can purchase a second-hand hammock but when doing so, check the clips and springs for effectiveness and durability. You also need to check on the fabric for wear and tear and even the stitching to ensure that it’s strong enough.
Remember that your baby will always remain suspended in the air when using the hammock and thus the need for his safety assurance.
If you have concerns about the hammock, go for a new one since you can always get one at an affordable price. Never risk the safety of your baby.
5. Will my baby remain safe in a hammock?
Your baby will always be safe in the hammock, but you have to keep an eye on them at all times. To be assured of his safety at all times, ensure that you get a hammock with a capacity that fits your kid.
Never leave him unattended as even the slightest of accidents can cause severe injuries on your baby’s delicate body.
6. How long can my baby sleep in a hammock?
Hammocks are best suited for kids within the age limit of 0 to 12 months. After this age, most kids outgrow their hammocks which becomes risky for them to use.
7. Can I leave my baby to sleep in the hammock at night?
Although some parents leave their kids to sleep in hammocks overnight, this isn’t safe at all. You will be risking the safety of your baby. Remember that when using a hammock, you have to monitor your baby.
8. What should I do if my fussy baby doesn’t want to sleep in a hammock?
Sleeping in a hammock is not a must. You shouldn’t force your little one to sleep in one if they don’t want to.
To avoid such instances, always train your baby to use it when still a newborn. This way, you’ll never experience such problems in the future
The safety tips and buying guides in this article will make sure that you make the best decision while buying a baby hammock. We have also provided a wide range of products, but if you are still confused, we have a few favorite picks.
The hammock from A TO Z HUB is the best average-prices product you can buy. It comes with a 4-leg stand so you do not have to buy it separately.
If you have the budget, you should go for Kidzy King Baby Hammock that has a unique stand structure and unique rocking mechanism. HAY BABY is a good choice if you have limited funds, but it does not come with a stand.