Best Dog Hair Trimmer
Dogs are those loyal companions that will love and protect you unconditionally till there very last breath. They do not expect anything in return, just our love and care for them is everything! Ensuring that your pet dog is well looked after and provided with all different types of Dog Essentials is your utmost priority as a dog owner.
Like humans dogs also need to have a well maintained physical health and appearance. Thus, grooming your dog is equally as important as grooming yourself. There are a number of grooming products available like shampoo, soaps, conditioners, nail clippers, toothpaste, and hair trimmer.
A trimmer for dog is similar to the human hair trimmer when it comes to function. Both of these appliances are used to trim the hair to provide a neat appearance. However, you cannot use a human hair trimmer on your dog since your canine friend’s coat is very different from human hair. Thus, the dog trimmers are designed with specific blade types to be able to get through the different layers of dog hair with ease.
If you are a new dog owner and want to know more about the importance of dog hair trimmers along with the different types of hair trimmers, this article is sure to help. You can read about the different types of blades mentioned along with types of trimmers available, the importance of dog hair trimmer and how to safely use a dog trimmer. We also provide a comprehensive buyer’s guide followed by the detailed review of the top seven dog hair trimmers along with the links to purchase them on Amazon.
Top 7 Dog Hair Trimmer
The Best Plug-In Trimmer
Best Rechargable Trimmer
Quality for Price
The Quick Charging Trimmer
The Best Grooming Experience For Your Pet
The Long-Lasting Clipper
Importance of Dog Hair Trimmers
A dog hair trimmer is a very important pet essential which should be possessed by every dog owner. It is a handy grooming tool that helps you trim your dog’s hair especially for those with long hair. The trimmer provides your dog with a neat appearance.
Moreover, proper grooming reduces the possibilities of fleas and ticks infestation. This keeps your canine friend more comfortable, clean and happy.
Having a dog hair trimmer at home allows you to trim your dog’s hair on your own in the comfort of your own home. This prevents you from having to spend money in order to schedule your dog’s grooming session with a professional groomer. You also get the chance of spending some quality time with your canine companion.
Moreover, these trimmers are designed specifically for trimming the different layers of a dog’s long hair. The powerful tool thus conveniently allows trimming your pet’s hair as the blades pass through the coat very easily. Hence, it is always advised to go for a dog trimmer and not a human hair trimmer, unless the dog is a short hair breed.
How to safely use dog trimmer
Start with bathing first. While bathing play with the pet, this will make they calm and they will stay still in the trimming process.
Brush it out
After bathing brush or comb out the pet’s coat. If you have a pet with curly or long hair brushing will set the hair straight and it will be trimmed easily.
Cut out any mats
Brushing will let you know if your pet has any tangled hair or mats in the coat. Cut them manually with scissors that will give the trimmer process a smooth sail.
Know the breed
Do the research before the trimming process. Know which kind of breed it is and how it is supposed to look like. It will also give an insight on which special parts need to be cleaned.
Go slow/Give breaks
Always start slow. Play with the pet then start with the trimming process. Also, give the pets the needed breaks in between.
Clear the eye area
One of the common areas that need to be trimmed in all the pet is eyes. If your pet has long or curly hair, it is necessary to clear the eye area so that they can see without any irritation or objection.
Clear the ear area
Another area that needs to be trimmed is ear. Make sure to trim the hair near ear area so that the long hair does not irritate the pet.
Cut out the hair mats and tangles before trimming
After combing makes sure to cut out all the mats and tangled hair manually. That way trimming will be a smooth process without any obstacle.
Clear any area where things can accumulate
Pets play around all day that may lead to the accumulation of particles in the hair coat. Few of the areas that need to be cleaned and trimmed the hair around the face, chin area, leg hair as well. All these places collect things while playing or eating, making it unhygienic for the pets.
Types of Dog Hair Trimmer
Rechargeable Hair Trimmers
These are also referred to as Cordless dog clippers as they operate on battery such as a lithium battery. These are long-lasting and have to be recharged whenever the battery gets exhausted. They perform all the functions as a plug-in trimmer however it can be annoying when the battery gets over in the middle of your dog’s trimming session.
These trimmers are used by amateurs as well as professionals. They can be used anywhere and anytime as long as the battery is full. It allows you to groom your dog in its own personal space.
Plug-in Hair Trimmer
These trimmers are also referred to as corded dog trimmers as they come with a long cord that has to be plugged in into the electrical socket. They are available in many variations and prices. Anyone can use it be it a professional or an amateur.
Unlike rechargeable trimmers you don’t have to worry about its charge getting over in the middle of your dog’s trimming session as it works on a constant power source. However, it cannot be used wherever you like since it always depends on a location that has a power socket present. This becomes an issue for a dog that prefers being in isolation.
Type of Blades of the hair trimmer
Fine Tooth Blades are also known as Finishing Blades. They usually work best for cutting the hair of small fluffy breeds whose coats are regularly trimmed. It does not work well for matted hair or a thick coat as the fine tooth blade cannot cut through thick layers of hair.
The tooth of this blade is very fine and even looking that provides a fine appearance to your dog. This blade is denoted by the letter F after the number.
This blade can cut through matted or layered hair. It provides a finished cut to your dog. The blade ensures keeping the layers intact while keeping the appearance neat and tidy. Skip tooth blades are used to cut hair effectively before washing your dog.
These blades are wider than the regular type of blades. It is most commonly used for larger breed dogs for a faster cut. However, they usually don’t fit the standard trimmers and their size is denoted with a number followed by a W.
Rechargeable or cordless trimmers allow you to trim your dog’s hair at any location of your convenience while a plug-in or cord trimmer requires a wall with a plug point. If your dog is one who likes spending time in isolation it is better to go for a rechargeable trimmer as it allows you to groom your dog in its own space. Moreover, the cord of the trimmer might come in the way and tough his/her skin making her restless.
It is essential to check the blade type before making a buy. We know the three types of blades are the finishing blade that gives a finishing look to small fluffy breed dogs, the skip-tooth brush that gives a neat and tidy look to dogs with a thick coat of hair and the wide blade designed for large breed dogs. Thus, choose a blade with a conventional type and size according to your dog breed.
The trimmer should be having an ergonomic design. The handle should have a rubber covering on the sides. This ensures a comfortable grip which allows you to trim your canine friend’s coat at ease.
It should also come with easy push switch controls that ensure smooth operation of the trimmer. A trimmer with an LCD display that notifies you about the charging and usage along with a convenient thumb lever that adjusts the taper and texture without changing the blade are two important features to look for.
The blade material plays a significant role in every hair trimmer. Most blades are made of stainless steel or ceramic infused with titanium, chrome, carbon or silver.
You can choose an Ultra-edge blade which is a stainless steel blade infused with carbon, it offers a harder cutting surface with a long life. The Ceramic-edge blade remains sharp for a long time and also prevents heating of the blade which might burn your dog while the Show-Edge blade ensures a smooth finish to your dog’s coat. Thus, ensure that the blades you purchase come with either one of these edges.
The precision motor should ensure low noise below 50 decibel and low vibration. This prevents your dog from getting scared during haircuts. Moreover, your dog will be able to easily adapt to the sound of the working trimmer which will overall enhance the grooming experience.
The speed of a hair trimmer is the ease with which the trimmer glides through the coat of your dog in one second. You can choose between a Single Speed Trimmer and a Variable Speed Trimmer. The single speed prevents heating of the blade while the variable speed ensures a finished professional outcome.
If you have a dog with matted hair or a thick undercoat, go for a trimmer that comes with a powerful motor with fast speed. This ensures that the trimmer cuts through the hair easily as well as quickly.
A hair trimmer is something which will be required all throughout your dog’s life. So it is important that you go for a durable trimmer to prevent having to keep buying a new one. The blade should be made of stainless steel or ceramic so that it is rust or wear-resistant. This keeps it sharp for a long time.
1. Surker Hair Trimmer For Pets – The Best Plug-In Trimmer
The Surker Hair Trimmer is one of the best plug-in hair trimmers on this list. It comes with four comb attachments of different sizes and an adjustable stainless steel durable blade that can very easily cut dog hair of varying lengths. The push switch and ergonomic design of this powerful heavy-duty trimmer ensure comfortable and easy operation. It has a reasonable price for a great quality product.
- It is a powerful heavy duty corded or plug-in trimmer.
- It comes with four replaceable comb attachments of the following sizes- 3 mm, 6 mm, 10 mm, 13 mm.
- It uses a stainless steel stationary blade.
- The trimmer has a convenient thumb lever that adjusts the taper and texture without changing the blade.
- It has a push-type switch for easy operation.
- The trimmer has an ergonomic design that ensures a firm grip and comfortable use.
- The blade can be adjusted easily allowing you to cut dog hair of variable length.
- The corded trimmer can be used continuously.
- The stainless steel blade offers wear-resistant making it more long-lasting.
- Users have complained that the blade gets hot very fast which might burn the skin of your pet.
2. Petology Automatic Rechargeable Pet Hair Trimmer – Best Rechargable Trimmer
Petology is an online store founded in the 2011. It deals with production of custom grooming products that aim in improving the quality of the lives of pet dogs. The Petology Pet Hair trimmer is a rechargeable trimmer that comes with a one set grooming kit to meet all the grooming requirements of your dog. The dog trimmer is our number one choice as it is ideal for use at home as well as in a professional salon.
The easy to operate hair trimmer ensures that your dog gets a neat and tidy appearance after a safe cutting. Moreover, the motor low noise and vibration. This prevents your dog from getting scared and running away. The low noise it makes allows your canine friend to get accustomed to the sound.
- It is rechargeable and cordless hair trimmer.
- It can be used for 60-70 minutes on a charge of 5 hours.
- Comes with a good quality titanium blade with a ceramic comb.
- It comes with 5 Degree fine-tuning functions from 0.8 mm to 2 mm.
- The set includes- the white trimmer, 2 rechargeable lithium batteries, a power adapter, four combs, a cleaning brush, and a user manual.
- The guide combs are detachable and have a 3-6-9-12 mm adjusting.
- The hair-trimmer is user-friendly, easy to operate and safe for you and your pet
- The powerful motor generates low noise and vibration that does not scare the dog.
- The titanium blade is sharp and durable.
- The lithium-ion battery has no memory effect which allows you to charge half of the battery and use it without any negative effect.
- It ensures that the best neat and tidy hair result after cutting.
- It has a long charging time with very low overall running time.
3. SRI Professional Automatic Rechargeable Pet Hair Trimmer – Quality for Price
This SRI hair trimmer operates using a rechargeable battery. The carbon steel razor blades are big and sharp that ensures smooth cutting of all the layers of your dog’s hair to the length of your choice. It provides the best grooming experience in the comfort of your own house. The best part about this product is that it provides all these great features at a reasonable price range.
- Pattern type: Y-1 Black.
- It is a rechargeable hair trimmer.
- It comes with four combs that can be adjusted (3,6,10,13 mm).
- It comes with a carbon steel razor blade.
- You can adjust the speed of the trimmer easily.
- It ensures your pet always looks good.
- It provides the best grooming experience for your dog in the comfort of your own house.
- The blades are sharp and long-lasting.
- It does not make a noise which prevents dogs from getting scared.
- No such cons were mentioned.
4. Codos Professional Rechargeable Electric Cordless Pet Dog Grooming Cipper – The Quick Charging Trimmer
The Codos Hair Trimmer is a rechargeable trimmer that can be used at home and professional salons. This dog trimmer comes with a fast charging time of only 2 hours. The adjustable combs are safe, easy and comfortable to use. Moreover, this cordless trimmer ensures low noise and vibration that does not scare your dog away, instead, it ensures quick and precise cutting that changes your pet’s appearance.
- Codos dog hair trimmer is cordless or rechargeable hair trimmer.
- It has four adjustable trimming modes- 1.0 mm/0.3 mm/1.6 mm/1.9 mm.
- It has two attachment guide combs- thinning out(3 mm/6 mm/9 mm/12 mm) and skin-friendly contour-following combs.
- It comes with a high-quality stainless steel fixed blade and a ceramic moving blade.
- The trimmer can be used for 2.5 hours after a quick charging time of 2 hours.
- It has an LCD display to notify you about the using and charging status.
- It has an adjusting lock key to set the trimming modes.
- The model comes with a charger and a cleaning brush.
- The precision motor ensures low noise and vibration that helps your dog feel at ease so that he/she is not afraid of haircuts.
- The blades are sharp so that it can be used for a long time and they are detachable for easy changing or cleaning.
- It ensures quick and precise cutting that does not hurt your dog.
- The lithium battery comes with over-charge protection.
- The adjustable clipping comb is capable of clipping hair of different lengths.
- The built-in battery ensures exceptional flexibility and maneuverability.
- No such cons were mentioned
5. Medicative Electric Rechargeable Cordless Pet Hair Trimmer – The Best Grooming Experience For Your Pet
This cordless trimmer from Mediactive ensures a whisper quiet operation that makes grooming a pleasant and no-stress experience for your dog. It has an ergonomic design with adjustable titanium blades that can adjust the haircut length accordingly. It is safe and comfortable and ensures a skin-friendly grooming experience.
- It is a cordless or rechargeable hair trimmer.
- The charging time is four hours which sustains a usage of 60 minutes.
- It comes with an acute-angle blade along with a ceramic movable blade.
- The titanium blade can be adjusted from 0. 8 mm- 2 mm.
- It comes with 3-6-9-12 mm level limiting combs.
- The precision motors ensure whisper-quiet operation, low vibration and a no stress grooming experience.
- The ergonomic design makes grooming easy for even the hard to reach areas.
- It ensures a safe and comfortable grooming experience.
- The haircut length can be adjusted accordingly with the adjustable titanium blades.
- As per user reviews, the battery gets exhausted very quickly.
6. Bonve Pet Cordless Quiet Pet Hair Clippers Trimmer – Best Design
The Bonve Pet cordless clipper uses 2200 mAh lithium-ion batteries to operate. The clipper comes with titanium and a ceramic blade that allows you to cut the hair of your pet be it a cat or dog of varying length. This clipper comes with an ergonomic design that ensures a comfortable and easy grip that allows you to trim your pet’s hair conveniently. It is a bit expensive but totally worth the price
- It is a cordless or rechargeable hair trimmer.
- It comes with an adjustable ceramic mobile blade ranging from 0.8 mm to 2 mm.
- It has a speed fine-tuning knob for the blade.
- The trimmer set also comes with sharp scissors and durable comb.
- It has a professional copper axis motor.
- The rechargeable batteries are 2200 mAh Li-ion batteries.
- The gently push switch makes the mode of operation very easy.
- The ergonomic design ensures an easy and comfortable grip.
- The motor causes low vibration and noise below 50 db.
- It can be used for dogs and cats with both long or short hair.
- The product is quite expensive.
7. Codos-8000 Low Noise Rechargeable Trimmer– The Long-Lasting Clipper
The Codos Grooming Clipper is a rechargeable trimmer that can charge for just 1.5 hours and work continuously for 120 minutes. The trimmer comes with a fixed stainless steel blade and ceramic moving blades that can be removed to ensure smooth cleaning. Moreover, these blades remain sharp for a long period of time while ensuring an excellent cutting performance for your dog.
- It is a cordless or rechargeable hair trimmer.
- The charging time is 1.5 hours.
- It can work continuously for 120 minutes on a single charge.
- The LED display notifies you about the using and charging.
- The trimmer comes with a stainless steel fixed blade and ceramic moving blade.
- The kit comprises of the trimmer, charger, a 3 mm/6 mm Comb, 9 mm/12 mm Comb, a cleaning brush, and a Lecythus.
- They come with two built-in batteries of type: NI-CD 1.2 V 600 mAh.
- The blades are detachable making it easier to remove and clean.
- It makes very little noise preventing your dog from getting scared.
- The blades remain sharp for a long time and ensure an excellent cutting performance.
- The anti-rubber grips on both sides help you to grip it easily while cutting the hair of your dog.
- As per a user, the cutting mechanism did not work well.
Proper grooming is equally important for your pet dog as it is for you and it is your responsibility to ensure that your dog is provided with the best grooming experience. Hair Trimmer designed for dogs helps you to do just that by providing him/her with a neat and tidy look.
There are a number of dog hair trimmers to choose from so this might be a tedious task for new dog owners. This article ensures that you get all the essential information you need to know about dog hair trimmers so that you make the right purchase for both you and your loyal companion.
We come to the end of this article. Go through the comprehensive buyer’s guide which provides all the factors related to a dog hair trimmer. We have also reviewed the top seven dog hair trimmers to help you make the right choice.
If you are looking for a rechargeable trimmer go for our number one choice- Petology Automatic Rechargeable Pet Hair Trimmer. On the other hand, The Surker Hair Trimmer For Pets is the ideal choice if you are looking for a Plug-in hair trimmer. We hope this article helps!