7 Best Half Helmets
In India, we have a strict rule that a rider is supposed to wear a helmet. Despite the strict rule, many offend it. A half-helmet is for those who feel heavyweight wearing a full-face helmet and open-face helmet. A half-helmet is designed to provide the protection to your head by providing a lot of aeration. Helmets like a full-face helmet, open-face helmet, and sports bike helmets have vents for proper ventilation yet sometimes the rider feels fatigued.
Hence, many riders who sweat a lot generally prefer half-helmet over other types of helmets. Also, the half-helmet reduce the strain caused by other mask helmets. Few people suffer from a headache due to the heavyweight of the helmet, but a half-helmet weigh less, and thus a headache problem is solved. These are light in weight as well as stylish bike helmets that everyone can rock. Helmets are mandatory to wear for a rider if he/she wants to safeguard themselves.
A half-helmet is also known as “1/4” helmet or “shortly” or “Pudding Basin”. They are exactly half in size of a full-face helmet. They are more popular for ample aeration. Based on the design of the half-helmet, they can be categorized into two – shield-less half-helmet and shield-protection half-helmet.
Many deaths caused in an accident were noted as the person not wearing a helmet. An accident may happen due to many reasons like drinking and driving, careless driving, deviated driving, and even worse roads or uneven road surface. Hence, to avoid hurting yourself, always wear a helmet. Here, in this article, we have given detail information on half-helmets.
In this article, we have provided all the information like Types of half helmet, Pro’s & Con’s, the difference between half-helmet and open face helmet, cleaning and maintenance, helmet sizing and Measurements tips. We have also provided a comprehensive buyers guide, our Top 10 recommended products, and FAQ
7 Best Half Helmets
Removable neck protector
Unisex pillion riders
Pros and Cons of Half Helmet
- Half-helmets are lighter when compared to other types of helmet. Due to the reduced weight, they do not strain the neck region
- Half-helmet provides complete aeration and thus avoid fatigue. Also, it keeps cool in hot climates. As a rider with a full-face helmet will sweat more as the aeration is minimal
- They provide a stylish look
- cost of the half-helmet is less when compared to other helmets
- Also, they provide a good view of the surroundings, and you look connected to the surrounding
- Moreover, it keeps you safe and legal as you are wearing a helmet. In India wearing helmet is mandatory. So, half-helmet saves you from police catching
- A half-helmet could not provide you with complete protection during mishaps
- Also, you can not save yourself from dust, debris, hot and cold breeze. However, few half-helmets come with shield protection.
Difference Between the Half Helmet and Open-Face Helmet
A half-helmet will safeguard only the head part. While a rider with a half helmet is prone to injuries during mishaps. Yet, they provide complete aeration and thus avoid fatigue. As the name suggests, an open-face helmet provides safeguard to head, neck, ears, cheeks but not face and chin bar. So, during a mishap, there might be a chance of face being injured. The design of a half-helmet and an open-face helmet is different.
Also, there might be a chance of the half- helmet coming out during mishap. Usually, a half-helmet is worn with shades or goggles for protecting eyes against sun rays. While an open-face helmet comes with a visor for protection. A half-helmet is odor-free due to good aeration whereas an open-face helmet will face the problem of odor if it does not come with breathable padding.
Cleaning and Maintenance of Half-Helmet
Cleaning your half-helmet is much easier than cleaning a full-face helmet or open-face helmet. A full-face helmet comes with large padding either removable or not removable. While a half-helmet does not have the facility of padding. All you need to do is simply clean the outer shell thoroughly either by using mild soap or washing solution. Now, wash the helmet with normal water, allow it to dry completely before using it. Never, scrub your helmet, it allows scratches and have shorter resistance to shock impact.
Unlike open-face, full-face and modular helmet your half-helmet does not come with a good visor or have vents. So, you do not have the option of cleaning the visor or vents carefully. However, few half-helmets come with a protective shield, and it is not as big as a visor in full-face or open-face. To maintain your half-helmet, ensure that you wipe the helmet with a soft dry cloth after you use it for the end of the day. Also, during the complete cleaning process, examine your half-helmet for scratches or cracks or loose strap. Moreover, never place your half-helmet in direct sunlight.
Helmet Sizing and Measurement Tips
To measure your desired helmet size, take a measuring tape and wrap it around your head horizontally. Place the tape in such a way that the tape is one inch above the eyebrow. Do not pull the tape over tight. Just ensure that it is tight. Now, repeat the same process for two or three times to get an accurate value.
If your size falls in between two reading as compared to the different size chart, choose the size which is nearer to your value or choose a smaller size helmet. However, every brand has its own sizing chart, and it differs from brand to brand. It is advisable, always to measure the largest circumference of the head above eyebrows for precise size.
Types of Half-Helmet
Shield-less half-helmet or basic half-helmet
It is the most common type of half-helmet seen all over the place. The design of the half-helmet is such that the upper part of the helmet is like a bowl shape or cap shape. A chin strap is included to fit the helmet perfectly. This type of helmets provide full aeration and do not strain on the neck region. Also, it does not have any shield protection for the face or for eyes. Moreover, it provides a stylish look when the rider wears goggles or shades for eye protection.
The design of this helmet is the same as the basic half-helmet. Additionally, a protective shield is included. This transparent protective shield save eyes and the same portion of face against dust, debris, and flying objects. Some half-helmets come with a large protective shield covering the entire face from dust and other particles. Moreover, few shield-protection half-helmet have the facility of flipping up or down of the protective shield as needed.
Features to Look Before Buying a Half-Helmet
Many features are needed to be considered while buying a half-helmet. Here, listed below a few necessary features.
Half-helmets are designed to be aerated as it offers protection only to the head. A properly ventilated helmet ensures proper air circulation to the rider. This provides for a comfortable ride and also prevents fatigue. In fact, the aeration will also ensure that the helmet is odor-free.
It is the first feature and important feature to look before buying the helmet. The shell material must be strong and resistant to shock impacts. Materials like hard grade plastic, thermoplastic, fiberglass, kevlar are used to make the outer shell strong and durable. Choose the helmet that has high-quality shell material and offers layers of protection.
Shape, size, and weight
As we know that half-helmets weigh less than a full-face, open-face and modular helmet. However, any half-helmet will weigh somewhere around a thousand grams. A half-helmet has a standard shape, and it differs on a protection shield either it includes or does not include shield protection. While coming to the size, it differs from person to person. However, every brand has its own size chart. While picking the helmet, ensure that you measure the circumference of your head perfectly. Pick the helmet that matches your size.
Every half-helmet comes with safety certified standards like DOT, ISI, Snell, ECE. DOT and Snell are US-based safety standards while ISI is Indian and ECE is European standard. Always ensure that the helmet you pick must have a certification mark on the helmet. Also, it is ideal for picking up the helmet that has safety standards as such helmets undergo tests during manufacturing.
Fit and comfort
A correct fit helmet is always comfortable to wear. The helmet fitting depends on the size you measured and the size the brand provides. However, for any new helmet, it takes time to get adjusted maybe a week. Also, the strap and inner lining must make you feel comfortable to use the helmet.
The straps of the helmet are usually made from high-quality nylon to avoid skin rashes or allergies. Straps help in securing the helmet in a proper position. Different strap locking types are used in helmets like quick-release mechanism, buckle type. Pick the helmet that has the convenient way of locking the strap. Also, the locking must not be loose and must be easy to use.
As we have seen that few half-helmets come with shield protection. Ensure that the shield protection must be transparent and does not disturb your view while riding. Also, it must be scratch-free and easy to flip when necessary.
Top 7 Half Helmets
1. Steelbird SB 27 Half Face Helmet – Removable neck protector
Steelbird Hi-Tech India Limited is an age-old company that was founded in 1964. They manufacture high-quality products, and their products spread over 50 nations across the world. All their products are designed with innovative technology, and the list of their products include Pannier Boxes, Helmets, Visors, and other accessories. Also, each of their product is tested well as per the standards and is certified.
The product is approved by ISI standards. It has transparent protective eyeshield. Weight of the product is 1.22kg. The outer shell is made from ABS while EPS is used for lining. Also, the helmet comes with a removable neck protector.
- It is an ISI approved product
- It comes with eye-protecting optical visor that is coated with polycarbonate
- Multipore breathable padding is provided with high-density EPS
- Also, the helmet is anti-odour
- The neck protector is attached with a zip and can be removed when not in use
- The helmet has Italian safety design
- Light in weight
- Detachable neck guard
- Comfortable to use
- inner padding quality can be improved
2. Motofy Habsolite Safety Helmet – Economical price
The habsolite helmet comes with durability and good design. It can be used for multipurpose like cycling, trembling, trekking, site visits. For easy operation, it comes with chin strap clip mechanism. Also, the helmet has a hard ABS outer shell. Moreover, the helmet comes with three-layer protection.
- It has chin strap with clip lock mechanism and adjustable sliders
- The clip mechanism helps to fit the helmet perfectly
- The outer shell of the helmet is made from high-grade ABS material
- It can also withstand the heavy collision
- Also, the helmet comes with three-layer protection for strength and sturdiness
- Easy and comfortable to use
- Light in weight, the best option for a daily commute
- The helmet has a stylish look
- The product does not have any ISI mark
- Straps come with bad quality
3. Autokraftz German Style Half Face Helmet – Unique style
Autokraftz is Delhi based stores that provide car and motorbike accessories. They provide high-quality products that are made from good materials. List of their products includes pollution-mask, leather gloves, car cleaning duster, and much more.
The helmet comes with German style and has DOT standards. The weight of this helmet is light in weight. It is durable, strong, and comes with EPS liner. Also, the German style Autokraftz is available in different sizes to make available for every fit. Moreover, the product is available in three different colors.
- It is DOT certified helmet
- The durable helmet is designed as per German style
- It comes with a nylon strap and adjustable sliders
- Also, it has adjustable D-ring for securing the helmet in a proper position
- Easy to use
- The helmet is available in three different sizes medium, large and extra-large
- Quality of the product is good
- It is light in weight
- Quality of the inner portion can be improved
4. Studds Dame Half Face Helmet – Protective shield
Studds Accessories Limited is worlds leading manufacturer company and has two flagship Studds and SMK helmets. They have a wide range of helmets, motorcycle accessories with new design and graphics. Studds products are sold around the world in 21 countries, while SMK is sold in 23 countries. They were granted with major certificates like ISI, DOT, ECE, and SLSI.
The studds half face helmet comes with removable cheek pads and a visor for protection from dust and other flying objects. It comes with a quick-release chin strap mechanism for easy use. Also, the helmet has EPS lining and high impact outer shell. The color of the helmet is black, and also it is available in other colors while the weight of the product is not more than one kg.
- It comes with a protective shield or long visor for saving from flying objects, debris, dust
- Also, the visor is scratch-resistant
- A high impact thermoplastic is used for the outer shell
- While EPS lining for the inner padding is used which is treated with anti-allergic velveteen
- For easy operation and safety, a quick chin strap mechanism is included
- Customized cheek pads which can be removed when not needed
- Quality of the product is good
- Comfortable to use
- Perfect fit especially for ladies
- Not suitable for daily rides
- Though the company has certifications yet there is not certified marks like ISI or DOT
5. Target Indian Half Face Helmets – Lightweight
Target is a fortune 50 company with headquarters in the US and India. In 2005, Target was set up in India. They try to provide you with different branded products that are of high-quality. They are wide-spread in areas like finance, human resource, supply chain, analytics, and more. Also, Target tries to provide customers with quality shopping.
The lightweight half helmet comes with a protective shield for eyes. It is approved by ISI. The outer shell is made from hard plastic while the inner material is soft. Also, the helmet has a stylish and attractive look.
- The helmet comes with a protective transparent shield to save your eyes from dust and bad climatic conditions
- Target half-helmet is red in color
- The strap is made from nylon material and is easy to use also convenient
- It is ISI approved helmet
- The outer shell of the helmet is made from hard plastic while the inner padding is soft and is made from a low-density material
- It comes with soft lining
- The helmet has a stylish look
- Ideal for bicycle riding instead of a motorbike riding
6. Sage Square Scooty Half Helmet – Unisex pillion riders
Sage Square is a local brand that tries to provide high-quality products to customers as per their requirements. Also, they provide good support to customers. List of Sage Square products includes a hand-feeding syringe, ladies helmet, food-water dispenser, paw washer cup, and much more. All their products are innovative and have good user ratings.
The Sage Square helmet can be used by both girls and boys, and it is available in different colors and sizes. The flexible strap helps to fit for girls and boys easily. Hard ABS material used for the outer shell while high-density material is used for inner paddings. Also, a transparent shield is provided to protect eyes from dust and other flying objects. Weight of the product is 700 grams
- The strap is provided in such a way that the helmet can be used for both girls and boys
- It is ideal for pillion riders
- The inner part of the helmet is soft, comfortable and made from high-density materials
- A clear transparent shield is provided for protecting your eyes from dust and flying objects
- The outer shell of the helmet is made from hard material with collision resistance
- The helmet is available in different colors and different sizes
- Great for daily use.
- build up quality can be improved
- Strap quality can be improved
7. GTB Mini Wrinkle Mens Safety Helmet – Attractive color
GTB provides a different kind of products including helmet, tent, nail dryer, folding chairs, and more. They try to provide quality products and as per the need of customers. GTB mini helmet is in red color.
- Flexible strap for secure fitting and perfect fitting
- This helmet is ideal only for pillion riders but not for daily use
- It comes with a flexible strap
- Attractive color and look
- Not for regular daily use. It can be used by pillion riders
- The product is not certified
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do half helmets offer any protection?
A half helmet is designed to only offer protection to the head of the rider during collisions or any unwanted mishap. However, they are said to offer protection in brain injuries in 36.8% crashes.
2. What are the benefits of using half face helmets?
The benefits of using a half helmet are:
- They offer protection to the head. Hence, they protect you from traumatic brain injuries, in case of crashes, collisions, and any unwanted mishap.
- They are more aerated than other types of helmets. As a result, the half helmet ensures a comfortable ride to the rider, while preventing fatigue.
- The proper circulation of air keeps the helmet odor-free.
- These helmets are easier to clean.
3. What is the difference between half face helmet and open face helmet?
A half-face helmet is designed only to protect the head of the rider. While an open face helmet offers protection to the neck, ears, chin, head and cheeks of the rider but not the face. So, the first and primary difference between both these helmets is their design.
Open-helmets come with a visor for protecting the eyes against the sun rays and dust particles while riding. On the other side, almost half face helmets do not feature a visor. Instead, they are worn with goggles or shades.
Another difference between both these helmets is that a half-face helmet is more aerated than an open face helmet. Hence, it ensures a more comfortable ride while also preventing fatigue. The aeration of the helmets also keeps it free from odor, unlike the open face helmet which might face odor problems in the absence of breathable padding.
4. How safe is a half-helmet over other types of helmets?
Half-helmet is better than a rider not wearing any helmet. If you compare all the various helmet types, a full-face helmet is the safest one. Yes, a half-helmet is safe at least it tries to safeguard the head region or skull region in mishaps. However, a half-helmet is chosen by the rider if he travels very rarely in the traffic or if he rides his bike slowly or by a pillion rider.
5. Which material is considered best for a helmet?
A helmet is made from materials like ABS, fiberglass, thermoplastic and kevlar. Fiberglass is more prone to cracks. While thermoplastic does not provide much strength and kevlar is the toughest one and also an expensive one. It is ideal to choose the helmet that has DOT/ISI/Snell certification.
6. Is half helmet considered good for the daily commute?
A helmet is mandatory when you are riding, and if you are riding daily to reach the destination, then it is not considered good. Yet if you are a pillion rider, then a half helmet for daily commute is good. Also, if you travel in traffic less area, then half helmet is considered good for the daily commute.
7. Does wearing a half-face helmet for long hours hurt?
Not at all as it does not put any weight on your neck region and also you will have enough aeration. Also, the half helmet is light in weight when compared to a full-face helmet.
A helmet is mandatory during riding. Riding without a helmet is dangerous and is like risking our lives. We have seen different half-helmet types its pros and cons, how to measure the size, features to consider while buying. After good research on half-helmets, we have included the best picks available in the Indian market.
We consider Steelbird SB-27 as the best pick while for three-layer protection you can opt the Motofy helmet. Studds Dame helmet provides you with the larger protective shield covering your face. If you are looking for a half-helmet for a pillion riders, then it is best to opt Sage Square Scooty Half helmet. I hope this article has provided you with good information related to half-helmets. To buy any of the best pick helmets, simply click on the link provided.