8 Best Open Face Helmets
Saviors. Yeah, one word that sums it all up.
A helmet is a headgear which provides safety to the driver’s head in case of an accident or any unfortunate event.
When we buy a bike, we dream about getting all the top-end merchandise along with it (At least I do!). Not because we want it but because it gives us an adrenaline rush. And among all the merchandise that we wish to buy the one of utmost importance but also the one we provide the least priority to is a helmet. If I had to put it in simpler words, it could save your life on any given day.
There are different helmets to choose from, such as full-face helmet, motorcycle helmets, sports bike helmet, etc. Each of these has a unique feature or function to it that can make your ride comfortable and safe.
Wearing helmets can be annoying at times, and nothing can be more irritating than wearing a helmet on a hot summer day. The struggle indeed is real.
But, what if I told you that life; being the grateful thing that it is; gave you a hell lot of options like every other thing in this world? Would you still not like wearing a helmet? I would!
A wise man once said, “If life gives you options, always choose the one you read articles about.” *JK!*
There are tons of things that you need to think about before you start weighing your options and finalize on any product.
In this article, we are going to narrow down your bucket full of “what’s, why’s and how’s” and help you choose the helmet which would be a perfect fit for you. Below listed is information like benefits of open face helmet, its feature, a comprehensive buying guide, FAQ’s and our top 8 open face helmets.
Top 8 Best Open Face Helmet
Benefits of Open Face Helmet
Open face helmet offers more clarity than a full-face helmet. With visors or no visors, public face helmet provides full vision without any obstacle. There is no access material in an open face helmet used that can be an obstacle while driving.
Open face helmet only covers head, letting face have proper air circulation. Also in open face helmet, there is no issue of sweating. Open face helmet covers head accurately and provides space for face for viewing.
Full face helmet is costlier than open face since more material is used. Making open face more of an affordable option.
Open face helmet is easier to wear and remove it providing needed flexibility and is lightweight, making it easy to carry around.
Helmet open face or closed both provide you safety which is necessary while driving. Research has shown that wearing a helmet reduces the risk of any serious head injury. Apart from accident helmets also protect you from any harsh weather like rain or snow while driving.
Features Of Open Face Helmet
Quick Removal of Buckles
The old-fashioned double-D ring buckle fasteners are now replaced with one click quick buckle removal system. This upgrade in the system saves time and efforts. With one click now buckles can be fastened faster than before.
Sun protection visor
Sun rays are stronger in the afternoon; they can dry out our eyes easily. To prevent that, helmets have visors that provide shade to eyes without causing any obstacle in view.
Anti-sweat and Anti-bacterial material
The inner material of the helmet is made up of EPS polystyrene that makes it super breathable and lightweight. Such fabric absorbs sweat and does not promote any bacterial growth provides hygiene and comfort to the users.
To provide more safety, helmets have either stickers or coating of reflective paint that glow at night alerting everyone else driving on the road. Your head is the highest point while driving, and these reflective signs on helmet help other drivers notice you and your vehicle at night, preventing any accidents.
Open Face Helmets Buyer’s Guide
Before you start spending your money on finding “the right one” for yourself; these are the important things you need to consider to have a worthy purchase:
A full-face helmet, basically as simple and as safer, they can get. It is a complete round helmet which covers your chin to the back of your head. Like many other helmets, it comes with a visor, vents for ventilation and also a good see-through. They are mostly preferred by people who are into sports riding.
An open face helmet, like the name, suggests, it leaves your face unprotected. Most of these come without a visor or a vent since it doesn’t require any of it. According to stats, more than 34% of the accidental impact is in the chin area, which is left exposed, which also makes an open face helmet a risky purchase. But it also has its benefits wherein the rider can have fresh air which makes the ride enjoyable too. So this helmet is probably a risk worth taking. Cruisers/old-schoolers mostly prefer it.
A modular helmet, it is a hybrid of a full-faced helmet and an open face helmet. It comes with a flip-up part which covers the facial part of the rider providing safety like a full-face helmet. When in its original position and gives the benefits of an open face helmet when lifted. Not specific to any set of riders.
If you are a novice who is new to riding, then a high-end helmet with a lot of features won’t be a good choice since it would just make it more complicated. A comfortable helmet and fits you will do as a beginner, and once you get used to riding with a helmet, you can get yourself a high-end, customizable helmet.
How many times do you plan on using this helmet? This wouldn’t seem important, but it surely is. If you plan on going for highway rides once a year or something then spending vast sums of money on a helmet won’t really make any sense. If you plan on riding a lot, commute to work on your bike daily then good quality, high-end helmet with good dynamics and a better visor would really make your ride more fun.
Now, many brands in the market sell helmets made of cheap quality, which is easy to break in case of an unfortunate event.
Polycarbonate, fiberglass composite are few of the important building material of a helmet which makes the outer layer hard and strong enough to survive an impact. Before you make your purchase sure to check the material the helmet is made of with the dealer.
Weight, Size, Fit
The build material also plays a vital role in the weight of the helmet. The weight of the helmet should be equally distributed between your head and shoulders. If the weight isn’t even on all the sides, this might end up straining your neck, which in the long run, can be more harmful. A perfect fit for your head is what you need; considering all the three attributes mentioned here.
Before you buy a helmet, you need to measure the size of your head and then go through the sizing chart. Every brand has their sizes, though, a few of them follow the default sizes. Before choosing the size of your helmet and the size of your head, you need to consider the shape of your head. Two people can have the same head size but completely different head shape which can make a helmet comfortable for a person and completely loose, unfit for another.
- Long Oval – It generally refers to a head which is long front-to-back but narrow on both sides.
- Intermediate Oval – This is a round head which is short front-to-back and wider side-to-side when compared to the previous shape. Most helmets that are found in the market are of this shape.
Measuring the size of your head
You’ll need a soft measuring tape to measure the size which is generally from the front of your forehead to the back of your head. Like previously mentioned, every brand has their size charts, so it is suggested to check the available sizes before choosing any random helmet.
Try the helmet on multiple times before finalizing one. As per basic buying guide, a proper fit helmet should sit squarely on your head with the top of the helmet’s eye port just above your eyebrows. Initially, it’ll be hard to get the helmet on and off, but after usage, it shall be easy to get the hang of it.
8 Best Open Face Helmet
1. Royal Enfield Metamorph
This open face helmet from Royal Enfield is built from the best material, providing you complete protection. Helmets are made out of multiple shells for additional safety while enhancing your experience.
It provides you with all-day comfort, and there is no maintenance hassle. It gives you a secure fit, which is essential while riding and is very classic aesthetically.
- Size of the helmet is 58 cm.
- The helmet has a unique morphing marble pattern on it which is created by fusing black and white ABS. No two helmet design is the same
- Has ISI (IS-4151) and dot (FMVSS no, 218) certificates.
- The helmet is made out of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and ABS.
- Weight is 850 gram making it lightweight.
- The helmet has EPS internal liner made from expanded polyester foam for comfort.
- The helmet is stylish and suits with any bike.
- The built is sturdy
- Many users have complained about improper sizing.
- Graphics on the helmet are barely visible and not of high quality.
- The visor is not of good quality.
2. Sepia NX Rider Open Face Helmet
The sepia NX Rider is available in two sizes medium and large. The shell is made of high-quality ABS material that meets all safety standards so that it protects your head from injuries. It has a padded interior with soft foam cushioning that ensures ventilation and comfort. Moreover, it comes with a peak shade to offer protection to your forehead from sunlight while the clear visor enhances visibility.
- It has a unique aerodynamic and light-weight design.
- The shell is made of high-quality ABS.
- The inner portion is cushioned with soft foam for comfort.
- It features anti-scratch and anti-fog visor.
- Has a clear and wide visor.
- Comes with a peak shade for protecting your forehead from sunlight.
- It is well-ventilated.
- Available sizes: Medium (58 cm) and large (60 cm).
- Available in bold and bright colors.
- Suitable for road trips, everyday drives, and casual rides.
- Strong, sturdy and durable design.
- Made of high-quality materials and meets all safety standards to protect your head from accidents and injuries.
- Ensures comfort and breathability.
- Ensures high visibility during rides because of its clear visor.
- No such cons were mentioned.
3. Hotdeal Market Riders wear
This open face helmet from the hot deal is black and has PU leather. Providing all the stylish looks as well as safety and comfort to you on your daily commute.
- It has an innovative ventilation system
- Has a durable steel quick-release buckle for flexibility.
- Multiple breathable padding neck protector.
- Has adjustable chin straps and cushioned comfortable interior.
- Offers supercool moisture-wicking interiors for sweat.
- The helmet has anti-bacterial fabric.
- No visors on the helmet.
- The proper sizing guide is not provided.
- Not made out of the best material.
4. JMD Helmets Grand
This helmet from JMD is made from premium padding lined in the interiors for fitting, using an anti-allergic material for comfort to its user.
- The helmet has ISI mark, approval of a quality product.
- Dimensions of the product are 28 x 24 x 24 cm.
- The inner material is EPS polystyrene, and outer is polycarbonate
- Offers dynamic ventilation system using breathable fabrics.
- The weight of the helmet is 748 gram, feels lightweight on the head.
- It has a scratch-resistant visor.
- The helmet has movable chin guard buckle operated with single lever pull.
- Sizing is not proper.
- Many users have said that the Outer shell is not durable.
5. Studds Marshall Open Face Helmet
One of the leading helmet exporter and importers in India, Studds comes up with the most trending and top-notch designs which are not only good to look at but completely trustworthy when it comes to protecting the most important part of your body.
- It is an ISI approved helmet.
- The outer shell is injected with special high impact grade of engineering thermoplastic to give you an over the edge protection.
- The visor is injected with polycarbonate, which provides scratch resistance properties.
- It is also provided with an anti-allergic interior, which is soft and makes the driver comfortable.
- It comes with a quick-release chinstrap mechanism which makes it easy to put it on and off.
- It comes with replaceable or removable liners.
- Also available in multiple variants.
- The visors are detachable and also come in multiple variants which can be changed whenever required.
- Since it is matte in color, it can be prone to scratches which aren’t easy to fade.
- Doesn’t come with a lock and doesn’t fit in the scooters storage space which demands you to take it along with you wherever you go.
6. Steelbird SB-27 Style Open Face Helmet
This helmet from steel bird provides its user utmost comfort and clear visibility while driving. It has a dynamic ventilation system that increases the airflow and enhances the experience.
- The outer shell is injected with special high impact grade of engineering thermoplastic for extra protection.
- Just like the other helmets, it comes with a quick-release chinstrap mechanism which helps in taking it off easily.
- It is aesthetically enhanced by using high-quality UV resistant polyurethane paint.
- The dynamic ventilation system is used for increased airflow providing better air circulation while driving.
- It has anti-allergic padding, which looks like an extremely good finished interior.
- This helmet gives a cruise look which most people can only dream of.
- The ventilation system prevents the rider from suffocating while riding at top speeds and also on hot summer days.
- It is made up of plastic, which makes it super light and doesn’t necessarily give someone a completely safe feeling.
- Hard to find this model in different sizes and variants.
7. Studds Downtown Open Face Helmet
This is another open face helmet from Studds, i.e., the downtown model. Its outer shell is injected higher protection to provide maximum protection to the user.
- It is an ISI approved helmet.
- The outer shell is injected with a special high impact grade of engineering thermoplastic for protection just like the other Studds helmets.
- Just like the other helmets, it comes with a quick-release chinstrap mechanism which helps in taking it off easily.
- It is aesthetically enhanced by using high-quality UV resistant polyurethane paint, and the visors are scratch-resistant too.
- The helmet is equipped with a second sun visor which is made from tinted polycarbonate and hard coated with silicon to keep it scratch resistant.
- It has an EPS padding which keeps the interior soft and anti-allergic to provide the driver with a comfortable ride.
- The helmet comes with replaceable and removable liners.
- Not easy to find in all sizes and variants.
- The dual visors can be messy at times.
8. Fuel Helmets SH-WS0015 Open Face Helmet
Born in Wisconsin, the mission of Fuel Helmets is pretty simple “Design and bring to market reliable, safe helmets and accessories.”
- It is D.O.T certified.
- The helmet comes with a clear paint which is UV protected.
- It comes with a hard visor which protects the rider from the gush of wind while riding on a highway.
- The vents on the top of the helmet are designed in such a way that the air circulation is even inside the helmet, giving the rider a comfortable experience.
- Because of the visor, the rider can experience both the perks of an open face helmet and also a closed face helmet.
- It is lightweight.
- Cheap and easy to find in all sizes and colors.
- Simple and won’t stand out if you are looking for a stylish helmet.
- Not long-lasting.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long are helmets good for?
According to helmet manufacturers, a helmet should be changed every 3 to 5 years. Thus, a helmet is good for a maximum of 5 years.
2. Does dropping a helmet ruin it?
A helmet is a strong and sturdy item designed to protect your head from injuries due to accidents. However, they should be treated like a fragile product as dropping it frequently on a hard surface might affect its performance as a whole.
3. What should be the weight of a helmet?
A helmet usually weighs between 1400 grams to 1800 grams. A light-weight helmet is more comfortable for a rider.
4. DOT helmets legal in India?
DOT Helmets are supposed to be illegal in India as bikers are supposed to use ISI certified helmets. Petitions have been signed to make DOT helmets legal as they are universally safer than ISI helmets.
5. What is the difference between open face and half face helmet?
Open face helmets are also referred to as 3/4 helmet. It covers the back and sides of your head while keeping your face exposed for fresh air. While half face helmet covers the top of your head and the area from the forehead to the brows with a bit more ear and neck coverage while keeping your face exposed. These helmets offer less protection when compared to open face helmet.
If you are a general cruiser and have a bulky body, then Royal Enfield Metamorph is the perfect helmet for you as it will go with the body type and the bike.
Studds Marshall Open Face Helmet is very stylish and worth every buck spent.
If budget is not a factor and you want something high-end which is also highly customizable, then Sepia NR Ride is for you. Hence, if you want to buy something to stay ahead of all the bikers, you surely need to get yourself a helmet listed here.