Fingerprint Scanner – Biometric Security System
Finger Print Scanner is used to record finger print scans of the person for authorization to a specific system. All recorded scans are saved in a predefined database. Whenever the user requires access, he/she places the finger to the Finger Print Scanner device, which scans the finger and details are matched with the data already stored in database. If one to one match is found access is granted. Such system is also known as biometric security system based on finger print scanner.
This biometric scan is commonly used for security purposes as well as for identifications purposes, whether it is for passport or for linking Adhar card etc.
Finger Print scanner does have a major role in today’s world and has made things little safer when it comes to identity theft. Moreover, Finger print scanners are being used to provide a safer zone whether it is in a business or for government purposes, in order to keep away the thefts and unauthorized things from entering our legalized one.
There are probably dozens of fingerprint scanners which you can find in the market place but here we have selected a few, so that it will be easier for you to make the right choice with in a good budget.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Types of Finger Print Scanner
- 2 How does Finger Print Scanner work
- 3 Finger Print Scanner Buyer’s Guide
- 4 Top 11 Optical Finger Print Scanners
- 4.1 Mfs 100 Fingerprint scanner
- 4.2 SecuGen HU20
- 4.3 U are U 4500, USB Fingerprint Reader
- 4.4 SecuGen Hamster Plus Fingerprint Scanner
- 4.5 3M Cogent CSD 200 Fingerprint Scanner
- 4.6 Safran Morpho MSO 1300 E2
- 4.7 Lumidigm M301 (M30x)
- 4.8 KartString Startek FM220
- 4.9 Shadow Securitronics Fingerprint
- 4.10 Hamster Nitgen HFDU06
- 4.11 Eikon Mini USB Fingerprint Reader
- 5 Conclusion
Types of Finger Print Scanner
The Three major types of Fingerprint scanners are:
- Optical Finger Print Scanner: These type of scanner contains an LED light which brightens up and scans a particular finger. The sensor which is present in the scanner creates a light and dark image to figure out the finger origin or the ridges from the finger/thumb.
- Capacitors based finger print scanner: This particular scanner has a unique way of scanning, which uses, tiny capacitive circuit to collect data. These capacitors stores electric charge which varies when finger’s ridge is placed over conductive plates. The results captured using this technology cannot be replicated and is difficult to fool with prosthetics.
- Multi-spectral finger print scanner: The type of scanner were being introduced to make sure to prevent finger print spoof attacks or in other words network securities. It has a distinctive function which scans the tissue which is under the skin as well as the usual features on the finger surface.
How does Finger Print Scanner work
Optical Scanners: Uses a beam of light which allows it to project the image of the finger’s tiny ridges and use it as a digital photograph. It then uses the Image sensors( CMOS or a Charge-coupled device also known as CCD) to project a digital image.
Whereas the Capacitor fingerprint scanner measures the finger position and uses electrical chargers to figure out the ridges or say a ridges map in order to get the fingerprint. Capactive Fingerprint scanner uses capacitive circuit to collect data. Capacitive circuit stores electric charge which changes when finger’s ridge is placed over conductive plates, while air gap leaves the charge unchanged. These changes are tracked and recorded.
The best thing about Capacitor Fingerprint Scanner is that it’s difficult to fool with prosthetics as a result cant be replicated with an image.
Multi-Spectral Finger print scanner: Is designed to keep the spoofs attack away, the specialty of this fingerprint tech is quite peculiar, which is to capture the features of the tissue which is below the skin surface and allows it to take a second take of the fingerprint pattern.
Finger Print Scanner Buyer’s Guide
- Responsiveness: Although fingerprint scanners never seems to wear off and does the particular job it is designed for, but we often face problems when the person has a cut or a slight bruise could make it unresponsive. In some cases scanner gets smudges or it does not respond to the particular finger print due to the sweat on our palms, so keep in mind that it should comes with a smudge protection or has a layer to protect it from smudges.
- Accurate: One of the most important aspect we need to check in a finger print scanner is the accuracy, Sometimes even a small glitch in a system can make it less accurate, always do some small checks and research on the kind of fingerprint scanner you are looking for and on the basis of your requirement buy it, and have it tested. Security checks are always necessary to ensure the accuracy in the device.
- Cost-Effective: As we all love to save a little from the investments which we make, it is important to look for the appropriate price as well, before buying your finger print scanner, look at the price tag on the device as we all make askew decisions.
Top 11 Optical Finger Print Scanners
Mfs 100 Fingerprint scanner
This finger print scanner is one of those best sellers on Amazon. It has an optical scanner which takes a couple of seconds just to read your finger prints, along with USB 3.0 it is easier for most of the people to collect data efficiently.
- Optical Fingerprint scanner
- USB 3.0
- 500dpi/256 resolution
- Works with all Windows Operating System
- stqc Certified
- Works for identification, verification
- Small and portable
- Can be used through phones for verification as well
- Used for Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Shetkari Sanman Yojana, Aadhar KYC, Sim card activation, eKYC, eMudra biometric, NDLM etc.
- May not work with some networks and devices. Check compatibility before buying.
MFS is a stunning product and stqc certified as well, and you can easily register your finger prints for aadhar card or pan card as well. In the market this finger print scanner has been on the top of this segment, you can easily rely on this scanner as it does the job in such amazing manner without any issues.
SecuGen is a tiny yet very handy finger print scanner, it comes with scratch Resistance Glass which makes it unique in its own way as it can work on harsh environment easily. The scanner has a unique feature which is Auto On, so as soon as you put your finger for scanning it will switch it on itself and viola! your scanner is done. It is fast and portable device which can be used as you want to.
- Scratch Resistant Glass
- 500 DPI resolution
- Quick scan system
- Auto On feature which helps to automatically detects fingers
- Smart Capture Work which Works with dry, moist, scarred, aged fingers
- Tough Glass Plate which is Scratch Resistant, Impact resistant, Corrosion Resistant and Electrostatic Shock Resistant
- Automatically detects the finger when placed on the reader
- Compatible with Windows 7 or higher
- Customer Support is not satisfactory
For most of the finger print scanners we mainly look for features which would help you in a long run, this device is the perfect fit for those. You can use it regularly for identification, verification and registration on the shop or works for an organization for Aadhar Enrolling and other purposes. The scratch resistance feature makes it one of the best in the market.
U are U 4500, USB Fingerprint Reader
This scanner is generally used for security purposes, especially for indoor or office usage. It is made up of metal and has a solid design which makes it durable. You can rely on this product for the fact that it can be easily used for attendance and other purposes.
- Consumes less power
- IP64 rated
- STQC certified
- FIPS 201 PIV certified
- Portable size
- 500 dpi
- Optically scans the fingerprint
- Compact size
- High quality fingerprint image
- Counterfeit finger rejection tech
- Highly Durable scanning glass
- Blue Illumination LED lights
- Fine Grained power control
- Rugged, powerful fingerprint verification and identity machine
- Compatibility issues
This finger print scanner makes it super easy for you people for recognizing even the hardest finger prints, and regarding the technology it does not need any CDs or software to handle in any system. It has the automated procedure which makes it easy to use and with high quality scanning nothing can go wrong.
SecuGen Hamster Plus Fingerprint Scanner
SecuGem’s Hamster plus has more power and can be used in 2 systems at the same time, as it has the function which allows you to make scanning precisely without any errors. And you can use it with or without stand, without any issues.
- Auto On – Scans your finger as soon as you touch the sensor
- Smart Capture – Quality fingerprint scanning of difficult fingers
- SEIR fingerprint bio-metric technology
- Maintenance-free optical fingerprint sensor
- Removable stand
- Multi-Device Connection
- Supported Operating Systems Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 Windows Server 2012, 2008 R2 Android 3.1 and above, Java, Linux
- Fast and accurate verification
- Integrated finger guide
- Rugged sensor prevents almost from as many damages as possible
- Can work easily on dry, wet, scarred or aged skin
- Also works under direct sunlight
- Hectic software installation – Proper instructions missing
This Finger print scanner is the most rugged and most durable scanner in the market, This scanner also have the same turn on and scanning feature which makes this device one of the fastest and security safe fingerprint device in the market.
3M Cogent CSD 200 Fingerprint Scanner
3M have aluminium finish and has the ability to capture 10 frames per second. Is an optical finger print scanner and have an ergonomic design allows the 3M to be portable without compromising image quality and also scans faster than usual and gives the best and legit scan possible, And is compatible to mostly all windows OS and basically used for adhar verification and also passport verifications. For more information check below:
- Aluminium casing
- 10 frames per second capturing
- USB 2.0
- 500ppi resolution
- Large active platen area
- Optical Fingerprint Scanner
- Available in OEM version too
- Automatic scanning procedure
- Certified as of FBI PIV-071006
- Ideal for Authentication and Verification
- Auto Scanning feature
- Captures high quality flat impressions in a fast, reliable, and easy-to-learn way
- Drivers needs to be downloaded from external link
- USB 2.0 which is an old version
- Installing issues
Although with a little tech-savvy infos you can easily get us to this scanner as it does the job quite well.
Safran Morpho MSO 1300 E2
Safron is a very handy device unlike other finger print scanners. It needs the Activation Code after connecting to the pc. For more information check below:
- All in one scanning capability, including verification, Identification etc
- LED light visual indicator
- High performance sensor: 500 dpi, 256 grey levels
- Easy Multiple access controls
- Very small but most effective device at such price range
- Security features includes encryption and digital signature
- Easy to gain access on PC
- May not work with some networks
- Main problem is the installing issues, only Tech-savvy people can do it easily
This device is as light as a feather, without any problems it can help you get you finger print scanning done. This finger print scanner is only recommended to the people who know a little more about the driver installing facility as it might create a problem.
Lumidigm M301 (M30x)
This finger print scanner is one of the best scanners which is being used in the corporate world in a day to day basis, for verification purposes. This tech can scan your subsurface fingerprint to increase the scanning capacity and gives more secured functions than any other scanners in the market.
- Multispecral technology- Which looks at and beneath the skin surface
- 100% accuracy rate
- Resolution – 500 dpi / 8-bit, 256 grayscale
- Compact and powerful mechanism
- Maintains performance in all environments
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Protects against fake and spoof fingerprints
- Uses the stranded USB to connect to the PC
- Very expensive
- Not known to many
The multi-spectral tech is one of the most unique features to be found in the market, the only drawback of this prodyct is that it is more expensive than any other finger-print scanner in the market, if the budget is not your concern then you should go for this maverick finger print scanner, without having any second thoughts.
To buy on official site: Lumidigm
KartString Startek FM220
This Finger print scanner is certified by the govt. for Aadhar verification, it is light-weight, and is mostly compatible with all the systems. 500 DPI resolution makes it faster and accurate which gives no chance for errors. For more information read below.
- Certified for Aadhaar Authentication
- Resolution: 500 DPI
- Low image Distortion
- CMOS-based optical reader with high-quality
- It can capture images and verify fingerprints with high speed.
- Most suitable for usage for linking Adhar cards
- Used for NDLM, Apna CSC, Jeevan Pramaan, Aadhaar Enabled Biometric Attendance System (AEBAS), VTP
- Image resolution: 500 dpi
- Not easy to use
- This device can not be used for SIM activation
- Needs a thorough guidelines to install the drive of this product
It has used in enrollment and attendance verification applications as a stand-alone or embedded device. If you are looking for a light-weight and compatible device to rely on for finger prints then this is the device for you as it has the ability to scan fingers fast as well as with zero errors.
Shadow Securitronics Fingerprint
Shadow is an optical finger print scanner and it is one of those techs which does not need a software to be installed and does the job with the plug-in feature. Plug in feature allows you to use it faster and accurately at the same time, you can also customize the setting for this scanner according to your usage.
- No Software required to use this scanner
- Big sensor
- Customization is also available as per the user
- Ideal for linking Adhar card and other related work
- Can work on verification, enrollment and identification easily
- Automatic usage, no need of extra software installation
- Easy Plug & Play
- No Driver CD required
- STQC -L0 Compliant (L1 Optional) ,Pixel Density – 508 Dpi, Gray Scale 8 bit, 256 levels of Grey, Connectivity: USB 2.0 full Speed Compliant, Identification < 0.8 sec.
- Due to no software installation property it may take a while for the system to read data accordingly
This finger print scanner has a bigger sensor and with zero errors it takes scanning to the next level easy. Due to no software installation even beginners can use it to authenticate or to verify easily. The product comes with better resolution of 508 ppi which is better than most of its competitors.
Hamster Nitgen HFDU06
This Finger print scanner have the most rugged functions, as compare to its competitors. Hamster Nitgen scanner is having scratch resistant glass. The compatibility is one of the most intriguing factors in this finger print scanner as it can easily scan and be used in every operating system possible.
- Auto On function
- Resolution 500 DPI
- Works for all Windows OS
- Fast Scanning Mechanism
- Durable and portable
- Scratch resistant
- Comes with updates for using in latest systems
- Easy interface to install software
- Sensor resistant to scratches, impact, vibration and electrostatic shock
- Supports multiple devices handling
- Accuracy with Wet / Dry Finger
- USB 2.0 compatible interface, plug and play device
- SDK Application fails sometimes.
The primary function of this finger print scanner is mainly related to the security purposes. It supports various OS and USB interfaces which makes this scanner much more suitable for application of PC related security systems. The precision of this scanner is top-notch. It may seems like the SecuGen scanner but This device has more rugged features than SecuGen devices.
Eikon Mini USB Fingerprint Reader
This Finger Print scanner is the smallest in size but it is one of the most accurate finger print scanner in the market as it is compatible with most of the Pcs and laptops. Installation process takes a couple of seconds to make it work on your laptop.
- Portable and Compatible
- USB 2.0
- High accuracy rate
- Supports Windows 10 and Windows 8.1
- Automatic Installation process
- Small in size
- Doesn’t need any driver installation
- Sign-in to Windows using fingerprint
- Easiest and most secure way to unlock and sign-in to your laptop
- Compatibility issues with some Laptops
- Instruction Manual is not adequate for novice
Although this device has a small size but it does the job perfectly as a finger print scanner with some top-notch accuracy. Also it is super affordable so you can use it for threats easily. Definitely recommending it to people who are looking for a finger print scanner in budget.
Finger print scanner are precise and are more useful when it comes to securing the data and especially for taking attendance in the office as well. It a basic, quick and safer way to keep data precisely without any secondary mistakes, and it comes with zero complications, which allows us to move on and store data sufficiently.
Buying a a finger print scanner is a huge deal as it is related to our security and being used to authorize. We have gathered some of the best finger print scanners from the market which comes in different shape and sizes and have peculiar functions along with a set of price. You can check it above which suits your requirements and use any from our top 10 optical finger print scanners.