10 Best Ergonomic Keyboards
Have you noticed any pain in your wrist, arm, or shoulder when you spend long hours on the computer?
Or, maybe you are already suffering from diseases, such as Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)?
Then, it is time for you to get an ergo keyboard for your work.
Whether you are a writer, programmer, or gamer, chances are you spend a lot of time using your computer or laptops and keyboard.
Using standard keyboards for a long time can give birth to myriad problems your health.
It is because traditional keyboards are not designed to adjust to your natural hand positions. They do not provide proper support to your wrists, forearms, and shoulders. Eventually, your nerves and blood vessels get damaged due to constant pressure.
Since you cannot stop doing your work, you can, however, make use of smart technology to help solve this issue.
An ergo keyboard is designed to give you comfort while typing by taking care of the alignment issues. They are built in such a way that it ensures decreased stress on your hands.
Let’s check out the list of top 10 ergo keyboards at a reasonable price. In this article, you will also find the different types of Ergonomic keyboards, advantages along with a comprehensive buying guide for purchasing an ergo keyboard and a few FAQs for your better understanding.
Top 10 Best Ergonomic Keyboards
Advantages of Using Ergonomic Keyboards
An ergo keyboard, with its innovative design, offers substantial benefits to its users. Here are some significant advantages:
- An ergo keyboard is designed to ensure natural wrist, forearm, shoulder positions while you type.
- This will prevent pain one experiences while using a traditional keyboard, especially for a long time.
- Keys are built in such a way that you will not require a lot of force to have them accurately registered.
- Keys of an ergo keyboard are made to be highly responsive. Thus, it ensures comfort while typing.
- An ergo keyboard offers comfort as it comes with wrist support.
- While most companies offer fixed wrist support, some companies offer detachable ones.
- Either way, wrist support is designed to offer enough support and comfort to the wrists of the user.
- The numeric keypad in an ergo keypad is placed within reach. So, you will not have to extend your wrist to work on it.
- Some ergo keyboards even offer separate numeric keypads.
- Therefore, if your work does not strictly require it, you can keep it aside.
- When you use an ergo keyboard, you will see an increase in the speed of your typing. The smooth typing experience will naturally increase the rate at which you type.
- Therefore, you will be able to complete more work in lesser time. This is great for increasing your level of productivity.
- When you type at a natural position, you will not easily feel fatigued even if you are typing for a long time.
- As a result, you can continue your work for more extended periods and accomplish even more tasks!
- This will further improve your productivity.
Different Types of Ergonomic Keyboards
There are different types of ergonomic keyboards available in the market. Each type is built to cater to the needs of different kinds of users. They are as follows:
In the case of a Fixed Split Keyboard, the keyboard is divided into two to three parts, while all of them belong to the same keyboard. The majority of ergo keyboards, especially the ones with lower prices, fall into this category.
An Adjustable Split Keyboard is the one that is physically divided into various individual pieces. These keyboards tend to be expensive. However, they are capable of being adjusted to any body type. This feature of divided keys is introduced to offer enough wrist support and hand spacing while working.
This ergo keyboard comes with a unique design where the keys are placed at about shoulder-width apart. The function keys are placed in the middle so that they can be used thumbs. This design requires minimal movements of arms and wrists while typing. This keyboard looks a lot like a wavy sidewalk if you look at it from above.
Angled Split Keyboard
This keyboard is also known as the Klockenburg keyboard. This ergo keyboard is very similar to a split ergo keyboard. While typing with this keyboard, your index fingers will be at a higher level than your little fingers. The intention behind this design is to ensure a straight wrist position and a cupped hand position while typing.
This keyboard can be considered to be the fanciest one! Some people tend to move around while typing in a keyboard. Some lean on the seat, trying to type away from the computer.
This model was designed specifically for them. Some handheld keyboards even come will handball to enable mouse movements! A handheld keyboard looks very much like a game controller. The best part is, you can use it that way if you like!
Different people have different reasons to buy an ergo keyboard. However, before purchasing one, there are certain key factors you need to be aware of.
An ergo keyboard is designed to help people type in a natural hand position. So, anyone can reap the benefit of using it. However, this is especially important for people who have to spend long hours on their computers, such as professional writers, programmers, gamers, etc.
When you type in awkward hand positions on standard keyboards for a long time, it doesn’t just cause wrist pain but also puts you under the risk of developing certain diseases, such as RSI. An ergo keyboard is specifically designed to prevent such conditions.
Comfort is one of the main reasons ergo keyboards are purchased. However, what is comfortable for one person may seem utterly inconvenient for others. So, when you buy an ergo keyboard, you may want to ensure that your chosen model offers enough customizable options.
One such aspect is the angle of the split keys. Most ergo keyboards offer a fixed angle.
However, if you are new to split keyboards, you probably don’t know which angle is most suitable for your body type. In that case, it is recommended that you buy the type of ergo keyboard with customizable split angle. While this option might cost you extra bucks, but it’s worth it.
Other customizable options include color and intensity of backlit keys, tilting, wrist pad, etc.
Size and Layout
The right ergo keyboard for you is the one that fits your purpose. If your work requires a lot of numeric typing, then having a large model with a numeric keypad attached will be the perfect one for you. A large ergo keyboard also reduces the chance of pressing the wrong key.
Likewise, if you tend to travel a lot for your work, having a portable ergo keyboard will be more useful.
The kind of ergo keyboard you purchase depends on the kind of operating system you currently have. So, while some keyboards will have the ability to be compatible with any popular operating system, others may not offer that advantage.
It may be possible for you to configure certain keyboards to work for your computer. However, it is recommended that you buy the one that is already suitable. This factor is even more important if you are a user of Apple products.
Travel Distance refers to the amount of force you must apply to each key for it to respond correctly. If you are a fan of quiet typing, you can check out the keyboards that offer low-force keystrokes. The keys to these keyboards are highly responsive. Since it does not take much effort to type with these keys, you will feel tired after extensive typing.
However, you can choose a mechanical ergo keyboard, if you prefer having tactile feel while typing. These keyboards come with impressive durability.
Here comes another issue that you should consider before buying an ergo keyboard. A wired ergo keyboard can be connected to your computer with the help of a simple USB cable. These keyboards tend to be cheaper.
If you are more comfortable with wireless keyboards, there are some wonderful options for you to choose from. If your work includes traveling a lot, then this is an excellent choice for you. However, in this case, make sure that your ergo keyboard is properly connected to your computer.
If you decide to buy a portable ergo keyboard, it is advised that you try that first. Portable models tend to have smaller keys. While some find this feature attractive, it might not be the best option for you.
Such keyboards do not offer numeric keypad. So, if your work does not need numeric keys, you can consider getting one of these.
This is another attribute you should be careful about while purchasing an ergo keyboard. Whether you are at an office setting and working long hours, or a student working on a long assignment, you will probably want a smooth typing experience. You may also want your keyboard to have high durability.
An ergo keyboard with impressive build quality will ensure that. However, ergonomic keyboards at lower prices may not offer satisfactory build quality.
10 Best Ergonomic Keyboards
1. Microsoft Sculpt Wireless Keyboard
Among all the ergo keyboards in the market, Microsoft Sculpt (5KV 00001) is our top choice.
For any ergo keyboard, decreasing health problems is the priority. This is why this model offers several health benefits. E.g., Its Domed Keyboard design ensures a better wrist position.
This model is the combination of design elements of traditional and split keyboard arrangements.
While we would not recommend it for gaming tasks, but with innovative designs at a reasonable price, this wireless ergo keyboard is worth your money.
- Split Keysets – It helps to get a better position for forearms and wrists
- Separated Numeric Keypad – it is great for those who work with numbers
- Calculator Key to launch the Calculator app
- Battery: 1 AA
- Item Weight: 907 g
- Frequency: 2.4 GHz
- Item Height: 6.3 cm
- Item Width: 40.6 cm
- Product Dimension: 22.9 cm * 40.6 cm * 6.3 cm
- Lithium Battery Energy Content: 3.5 Watt Hours
- Lithium Battery Weight: 0.95 g
- Split Design
- Straight Natural Wrist Position, promoted by Reverse Tilt Angles
- Sufficient Wrist Support by Cushioned Palm Rest
- Decreased Stress on Fingers due to Natural Arc key Layout
- Works well with MacBook Pro
- Split Space Bar Key
- The keyboard has no backlight
- Changing battery can be tedious
2. Fellowes Microban Split Design Keyboard
Comfortable, large and curved, this beautiful ergo keyboard is a wired one.
Fellowes Microban Split Design is focused on making your life easy. As a result, this keyboard comes with certain Speed Buttons that will let you do certain tasks, such as opening your browser, email, etc. without much hassle.
If you like your keyboard big, you are going to love this one!
- Compatible with Windows 10
- Item Weight: 1.03 kg
- Color: Black
- Item Height: 6.6 cm
- Item Width: 26.9 cm
- It is a very quiet keyboard
- Split Design
- Provides Sufficient Wrist Support
- Better Keypress
- Easy to maintain cleanliness
- Double Space Bars
- It is very durable
- There are few shortcut buttons on the top
- No Wrist Padding
- Keys often malfunction
3. Kinesis Freestyle 2 Wireless Keyboard
Here comes another split design ergo keyboard, except this time, you can adjust its split to meet your comfort level.
Kinesis FressStyle2 is a versatile ergo keyboard that is designed to accommodate your personal preferences and boost productivity.
When delivered, this ergo keyboard comes with 9” Linking Cable, pivot tether that is detachable for adjustable splay, USB charging cable.
- 9” Standard Separation
- Bluetooth Wireless Connection
- Standard Mac Layout
- Rechargeable Lithium Polymer Battery
- Connection: Wireless Bluetooth 3.0
- Battery Life: 6 months (between charges, for normal use)
- Switch Type: Rubber dome, membrane
- Peak Force: 44 grams
- Rotation and Separation of the key modules to suit your specific body type
- Reduced stress on wrists
- Up to 3 Bluetooth enabled devices can be connected
- Reduced Finger Fatigue due to Low-Force Key Switches
- Cushioned Palm Support is offered to eliminate wrist extension
- No Warranty
- “Caps” Light is not present
4. Moko Ultra-Compact Folding Keyboard
When it comes to efficiency, the Moko Ultra-compact Folding Wireless Bluetooth ergo keyboard is a winner. An interesting attribute of this model is that it gets automatically turned on as soon as you unfold it.
Its U-shape form with ergonomic 166 degree aids comfort by relieving pressure on your hands. Beautifully designed and practical, this is a perfect choice for those who are looking for an ergo keyboard that can be easily carried from place to place without much hassle.
- Compatible with iOS, Android, Windows
- Supports Bluetooth devices such as iPhone 7, seven plus, 6, six plus
- Folded Size: 6.2” * 4” * 0.5” , Unfolded Size: 12.9” * 4” * 0.23”
- Item Weight: 176 g (6.2 ounces)
- Uninterrupted Working: 40 Hours
- Stand-by time: 30 Days
- Charging time: Less than 2 Hours
- The keyboard is automatically turned on when you unfold it and turned off when you fold it
- Wonderful sense of touch and typing experience
- Ultra-thin and foldable design, easy to fit into a purse, bag
- Great Portability
- Excellent durability due to premium ABS material
- Impressive wrist comfort
- Does not register the key presses properly
- ‘Delete’ key is tiny
5. Razer Ornata Chroma Gaming Keyboard
Who doesn’t love colors? Razor Ornata Chroma is a gorgeous ergo keyboard that is dedicated to gaming. This model comes with a huge selection of colors. So if you can imagine it, you will probably find it here. Similarly, if you like one color scheme for your keyboard, you can have that too!
The magnetic and detachable wrist rest makes it painless to adjust its position. It comes with beautiful packaging, keeping this colorful ergo keyboard nice and sturdy.
- Mecha-membrane Keys – It combines the soft cushioned touch and the crisp tactile click
- Mid-height Keycaps
- Individually Backlit Keys
- Leatherette and Detachable Wrist Rest
- Ten key Roll Over Anti-Ghosting
- Weight: 948 g
- Hardware Platform: Video Game, PC
- One 2.0 USB Port
- Product Dimension: 46.3 cm * 15.4 cm * 3.1 cm
- Height: 31 Millimeters
- Width: 15.4 centimeters
- 16.8 million customizable color options
- Ergonomic Magnetic Wrist Rest provides comfort to the wrists.
- Simultaneous execution of 10 commands
- Soft and Clicky Key Strokes
- Easy to clean
- Compatible with Xbox One
- After updates, the keyboard resets the color cycle.
- No discrete media volume controls
6. Microsoft Ergo Wired Keyboard
If you are looking for a beautifully designed ergo keyboard without making a hole in your wallet, then Microsoft Natural Ergo Wired Keyboard is the perfect choice for you.
This model comes with an excellent ergonomic design that reduces strain on your hands, providing comfort.
- Intuitive Zoom Slider – helps in taking a closer look on the screen quickly
- Ergonomic design for natural wrist and arm alignment
- Item Height: 8.3 cm
- Item Width: 26.2 cm
- Item Weight: 2.27 kg
- Product Dimension: 50.3 cm * 26.2 cm * 8.3 cm
- Hardware Platform: USB
- Certain basic tasks can be performed with one button like checking emails, or opening docs
- Comfort while typing
- Quick and Easy Access to the programs in the taskbar through Keyboard Hot Keys
- Calculator button works even without software installation.
- No warranty
- Keys tend to get back to default setting after Sleep or Restart
7. Logitech Wireless Wave Keyboard and Mouse Combo
Let’s be honest. Having a touchpad on your keyboard is not always a useful option. That’s why Logitech MK550 ergo keyboard comes with a precision laser mouse. Its superb ergonomic design will take care of your wrists and forearms, relieving the pain caused by prolonged keyboard use.
Another noticeable attribute of this model is its durability. You will appreciate it more if you own a pet who can’t stop throwing your keyboard on the floor! Besides, this ergo keyboard, as well as its mouse, is completely wireless. So, if you are the kind of person who finds wired devices inconvenient, and prefers a wireless one instead, then Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Keyboard and Mouse Combo is a wonderful option for you!
- Wireless Connection
- Ergonomic Wave Design
- Integrated Palm Wrist
- Precision Laser Mouse
- Long Battery Life
- Simple Setup
- Item Weight: 998 g
- Product Dimension: 50 cm * 26.4 cm * 7.9 cm
- Reduced stress and more comfortable typing due to innovative design
- Three options of Leg Height allows you to choose the one that suits your need
- Energy efficient ergo keyboard and mouse.
- Extended battery life
- No additional set up required to get started
- Noisy Keystrokes
- The texts on the keys fade easily
8. Adesso Tru-Form Ergonomic Keyboard
With gentle slope shape and split critical zone, this ergo keyboard offers good positions of your hands, wrists, and forearms. The backlit keys are easy on the eyes. You can change their colors among Red, Green, and Blue, with the help of a single key.
Meanwhile, if you are pressed for time, you can make use of the multi-functional built-in hotkeys on this ergo keyboard to quickly access some basic applications! If you prefer quieter as well as the faster response from your keystrokes, Adesso Tru-Form 3-color illuminated keyboard ergo is a suitable option.
- 3-color Illuminated Backlit Keyboard
- Ergonomic Design
- Large Print Keys
- Split Key Design and Split Space Bar
- Integrated Palm Rest
- Internet and Multimedia Keys
- Membrane Switch
- Item Weight: 885 g
- Item Height: 38 mm
- Item Width: 23.6 cm
- Product Dimension: 52.1 cm * 23.6 cm * 3.8 cm
- Hardware Platform: USB
- Key Colors can be switched with one keystroke
- The brightness of these colors can be adjusted
- The split key design provides comfort during long use
- Reduced stress on your wrists
- 20 built-in hotkeys to easily access common applications
- Gentle Illumination of the keys allows them to be identified in any lighting environment.
- Better tactile response and Quieter typing experience
- The letters on the keys of this model are bigger than that in many other keyboards.
- Unreliable key press
- The color of the keys resets to Green as soon as it is shut down.
- No programmable buttons
9. Microsoft Surface Ergonomic Keyboard
Microsoft offers another pretty ergo keyboard for you. With modern Gray color and classic design, the Microsoft Surface keyboard feels solid.
This full-sized ergo keyboard provides a sense of relaxation you deserve! Being wireless makes it even more efficient. Its soft Hand Rest with high-quality fabric soon grows on you. The packaging is quite lovely.
- Compatible with Surface Pro, Surface Book, Surface Studio
- Natural Arc Slope
- Double-Cushioned Palm Rest covered in Alcantara
- Interface: Bluetooth Low Energy Compatible 4.0 or 4.1
- Works with Bluetooth Smart Ready device with Human Interface Device (HID)
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Wireless Frequency: 2.4 MHz to 2483.5 MHz
- Wireless Range: Up to 32 feet
- Item Weight: 1.01. kg
- Product Dimension: 46 cm * 22.9 cm * 3.5 cm
- Battery: 2 AA Batteries required
- Model Number: 3RA-00022
- Keystrokes do not get easily stuck
- Split keyboard, encouraging natural positions for hands
- Wrist Support is soft and has a greater height
- Quiet and Easy to type since the keys do not need much effort
- Works great with Ubuntu Gnome 17.04
- Dedicated Function Keys
- Very Easy Setup
- Attached Number Pad
- No warranty
- Sticky Space Bar
- The Wrist Rest is difficult to clean up
10. Perixx PERIBOARD Ergonomic Split Keyboard
The last item in our list of top 10 ergo keyboard is Perixx PERIBOARD 512 W. This model is white and has a robust build. It is also bigger than standard keyboards. So you may require some time to get used to this ergo keyboard.
It is a Plug and Play the keyboard. As a result, you don’t have to worry about the complicated setup process. This ergo keyboard is highly recommended for people with RSI Syndrome. You can say goodbye to your sore wrists, finger blisters, or cramped hands.
- Runs on 110 Volts only
- Divided Keypad
- Integrated Palm Rest
- Seven built-in hotkeys
- Item Height: 55 cm
- Item Weight: 35 cm
- Item Weight: 1.56 kg
- Product Dimension: 45 mm * 35 mm * 55 mm
- Should be used with Step Down or Voltage Converter
- Split keys layout ensures natural hand and arm posture
- Palm Rest provides comfort to your wrist
- Keystrokes are effortless
- Built-in hotkeys can easily access multimedia.
- Dark Blue LED lights for the ‘CAPS’ indicator
- No additional padding on the wrist rest
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are ergo keyboards expensive?
Ergo Keyboards come at different prices. While some cost slightly more, there are others you can buy at a cheaper rate.
2. Are ergonomic keyboards good for gaming?
There are certain brands of ergo keyboards that are dedicated to gaming. In the end, it all depends on your convenience.
3. What if I am left-handed? Will that be a problem?
Not! An ergo keyboard is suitable for anyone, regardless of the hand the person is stronger with.
4. Should I buy an ergo keyboard if I type only a few hours a day?
Yes, you should. Using the keyboard in bad form is harmful to your health, even if you are using it only for a few minutes. Using an ergo keyboard ensures better posture, and hence, reduces the risk of having computer related problems.
We hope this list of top 10 ergonomic keyboards has been helpful to you.
We have provided you with detailed information about ergo keyboards, what makes them special, and how they are beneficial for our health. You also got to know about the different types of ergo keyboards and a few FAQs.
Our top pick is Microsoft Sculpt Wireless Keyboard, as it is a very functional keyboard. Our other favorite pick is Moko Ultra-Compact Folding Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard
If you have any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comment section.