Best gaming keyboard – For Every Type of Gamer
Normal keyboards are more than capable of carrying out regular day to activities effectively. However, while gaming, the type of keyboard you use can make the difference between winning and losing.
A keyboard is the main input device for gaming and factors like input delay, comfort and aesthetics play a huge role in your performance. This is why companies develop special gaming keyboards that help you boost your gaming performance to match your skill level.
A gaming keyboard has many features and significant advantages over a normal keyboard that can help you gain a upper hand in a competitive match. This article covers all those benefits along with a wide range of products you can choose from.
Here you will learn about the features of a gaming keyboard, the difference between mechanical and membrane Keyboard, different types of a Gaming keyboard, comprehensive Buyers-guide, List of Top 7 Gaming Keyboard, and a few FAQ’S.
Top 7 Gaming Keyboard
LED is suitable for late-night gaming
Good quality product
Very good for gaming
Features of a Gaming Keyboard
For an incredible all-round gaming experience, having a good keyboard is just as important as the best gaming laptops, gaming mouse and gaming headphones. Some gaming keyboard comes with backlighting. Keyboard backlight can have a variety of colors ranging from blue, brown, red, green, white, and more.
Mechanical keys are crucial for fast-paced gaming because they require less force for each tap, and they deliver a firm, satisfying, and quicker response feature. Programmable keys are also one of the main features of a gaming keyboard. Programmable keys allow gamers to make multiple keystrokes at an instance.
Players can complete an action that might take seconds to achieve with just a click of a button. By reducing a series of work into a keystroke, gamers can express their mind well and also move faster in the game.
Some gaming keyboard are smart and they possess a built-in LCD panel on the keyboard. Its multi-touch display can provide a stream of information from your computer.
During gaming, the touch display can provide crucial information such as mini-maps, and game stats. The gaming keyboard also possesses several in-built ports such as headset port, USB, volume control, and more. It also comes with multimedia controls for controlling music and movies.
The gaming keyboard is convenient to use, and users can feel relaxed and comfortably manage the space around them. It reduces the amount of fatigue and hand injury the player experiences while playing a game.
The gaming keyboard comes with a plug and play installation. Once the keyboard is purchased you can directly plug it into your system and be ready to play.
Difference Between Membrane and Mechanical Keyboard
Membrane and mechanical keyboard have different specifications.
- The membrane keyboards are produced with soft keys while the mechanical keyboard is hard to press
- Membrane key makes less noise when gaming compared to mechanical keyboards.
- The mechanical keyboard is more durable than membrane keyboards.
- Mechanical keyboards are fast, and they produce accurate results with a quick response time. The membrane keyboard may generate more errors.
- Mechanical keyboard keys can be removed, allowing you to customize the keyboard to match your choice while a membrane keyboard key is usually not removable.
- A membrane keyboard is more comfortable and affordable than a mechanical keyboard.
Types of Gaming Keyboard
There are several types of gaming keyboard available in the market today, let’s mention some of them.
Backlight gaming keyboard
Most gaming keyboards come with backlight ranging from blue, red, green, white, and more. The color might be mixed to produce beautiful bright light colors. This is useful in dimly lit rooms.
The backlight keyboard gives gamers customization options for multiple lighting zones with separate backlight areas for WASD keys and arrow keys. Some gaming keyboards highlight the most frequently used control keys, while some keyboards allow gamers to personalize the color of each key as they see fit.
Non-backlight gaming keyboard
Some gaming keyboards are painted with pure colors without a backlight feature. Non-backlight keyboards also give some gamers a better experience if they find backlight distracting.
Some keyboards are painted in colors ranging from white, black, red, pink, and blue. They’re modeled in such a way that it’s easy to locate keys. Their colors are also bright and attractive to use.
Wired gaming keyboard
Some keyboard comes with a wired interface for connection, and most modern keyboards are built with a USB port connection. They are fast, and you need not worry about potential input latency that could occur when transmitting signals.
The long wires allow gamers to place their keyboards wherever they want.
Wireless gaming keyboard
Wireless keyboards are very convenient for gaming; you can sit at any distance to play your game. It’s durable, with excellent performance. The keyboard transmits the data to a receiver that looks like a thumb drive.
Batteries power the wireless keyboard. Potential input latency may occur when the battery energy becomes low, which means you might experience some delay between you pressing down a key and your PC processing the action.
Membrane gaming keyboard
The membrane keyboard is very flexible, and it has soft keys. The key produces less noise when they’re tapped. They are portable and usually made of plastic. Membrane keyboard can be moved around easily.
Mechanical gaming keyboard
The mechanical keyboard is the opposite of the membrane keyboard. They are firm, durable, and heavy to move around. Making use of a mechanical keyboard doesn’t require a lot of effort during typing.
It has a different typing style compared to the membrane keyboard, and you don’t have to press the key too long before it gets registered into the PC. The feedback and key travel feels nice when the keys are pressed.
Buyer’s guide gives you the information you need to know when purchasing a gaming keyboard of your choice. So, here’s a list of the guides necessary to obtain a gaming keyboard for easy use.
Playing a game can make you very expressive, so it’s necessary to buy a gaming keyboard with excellent quality. Also, ensure that the keyboard can handle light and hard tapping when gaming.
It’s good to purchase a gaming keyboard that is built with metal backplates that eliminate flex and risk of bending or breaking. The high-quality plastics are designed to last long, and it also acts as a resistant to oil, water, and more.
When playing a game, key rollover measures the amount of key your keyboard can register at once. It’s vital to purchase a keyboard with the right rollover for convenient use during gaming.
It’s essential to buy a keyboard that’s attractive to use, and personalization that suits your choice. Many gaming keyboards are customized in different ways so you can match it to your gaming aesthetic.
Backlighting comes with a standard for all gaming keyboard. Most gaming keyboard backlighting comes with a single color or full RGB colors. Keyboards with adjustable backlight allow you to set the mood and lighting that matches your setup.
A gaming keyboard is built with several layout styles, so it’s necessary to buy a keyboard by which its design style make you feel comfortable when gaming. Gaming keyboards often have special designs for the most used keys like WASD, so look out for those.
7 Best Gaming Keyboard
1. Redgear Blaze 3 gaming keyboard – Our Pick
Redgear Blaze 3 is designed with floating keycaps for a mechanical feel, and three LED adjustable color backlight. It has an aluminum structure for a better gaming experience.
It has features like the blaze, which was specially designed to work in a pro-gaming tournament. Its design is intended for both casual as well as enthusiast gamers. The keyboard is designed to give you more space to make broad moves with your mouse.
It is convenient to use and easy to carry around while playing games online and offline.
- Floating keycaps.
- 3 LED color backlight.
- Full aluminum body.
- Windows key lock option.
- 19 anti-ghost keys.
- It comes with a one year warranty.
- It gives you the best distance for the pressure on a key.
- It ensures that any key you press is registered accurately.
- It allows you to adjust its colors conveniently.
- Windows key lock option to stop interruption.
- High-quality products.
- Durable product.
- Printing on keys may not be visible, so the LED has to be on all the time.
2. Cosmic Byte Mechanical Keyboard – Excellent keyboard
Cosmic byte CB-GK-12 is a full size 104 keys blue switch mechanical keyboard. Each key can last up to 50 million presses. It is built with an aluminum body and features a special gaming mode
It comes with rainbow backlight with ten backlight effects, three levels of speed adjustment, and three levels of brightness adjustment. It works well with Mac OS, Windows OS, and Linux. Cosmic byte CB-GK-12 is very convenient and easy to use.
- Aluminum body.
- Multimedia keys and Windows lock key.
- Backlight is highly customisable.
- It comes with a one year warranty.
- A pretty solid keyboard made with high-quality material.
- It feels great to use.
- Good feedback on keypress while gaming.
- Reasonable price.
- The keyboard is heavy.
- The switches are soldered into the board of the keyboard, which makes it difficult to change them.
3. Night Hawk Gaming Keyboard – LED is suitable for late-night gaming
Night Hawk Nk101 FPS Gaming Keyboard comes with 19 anti-ghost keys for advanced gaming with three color adjustable LED. It delivers excellent performance with long lasting durability.
It has a unique design that ensures comfort even while gaming for long hours.. It features three colors LED-backlit keys. It has good speed and accuracy.
- LED backlit keys.
- Three choices for LED colors.
- Comfortable ergonomic design.
- It comes with a year’s warranty.
- It is designed for great speed and accuracy
- The price is reasonable.
- LED light is suitable for late-night gaming.
- Quality product.
- Attractive design and convenient to use.
- comfortable for long gaming sessions
- Font on the key is hard to read without backlight.
4. Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech is a a reputed company well known for its computer accessories. This is a top of the line gaming keyboard from Logitech that offers an exquisite gaming experience.
It is up to 4 times faster that standard keyboards and every keypress registers almost instantly on the screen. The tactile keys are tuned for superior gaming performance. They are highly responsive with a good touch.
- 16.8 million color options for backlighting.
- The backlight color can be seen through the key letterings.
- Keeps you in control while pressing keys simultaneously.
- Highly durable with a spill-resistant design.
- Dedicated multimedia keys.
- Extra support on the bottom for palm placement.
- The lighting is highly customizable and can be set to match your desktop setup.
- Ease of control of music and sound via multimedia keys.
- The features and lighting can be controlled via special Logitech gaming software.
- Not many lighting effects.
5. CORSAIR Gaming Keyboard – High-performance product
It offers three-zone backlighting with more than ten preconfigured RGB lighting modes to choose from. It comes with six programmable macro keys for smooth actions. It has dedicated volume and multimedia controls for audio controls without interruption.
It gives a satisfying feeling with its quiet and responsive keys. It allows multi-key anti-ghosting that ensures accurate simultaneous key presses. It has a Windows key lock mode to avoid distractions during gaming. It works fine with Windows.
- Multi-key anti-ghosting.
- Dedicated Volume and Multimedia controls.
- Three-zone backlighting.
- 1 AAA battery required.
- Compatible with Windows OS.
- It comes with a two-year warranty.
- Build quality is good.
- It’s custom keys are a bonus for gamers.
- It doesn’t require any software for the RGB effect.
- Good tactile feeling.
- High-performance product.
- The keyboard doesn’t have a mechanical touch.
- Some of its keys are hard to press.
6. Redragon Karura Gaming Keyboard– Good quality product
Redragon Karura K502 USB Gaming Keyboard comes with 104 quiet keys for responsiveness, durability, and longevity. The keys offer precise results and excellent performance.
It has an RGB backlight with seven different colors, four backlight brightness levels, and an adjustable speed. Its illumination can be turned off entirely if not preferred. It was built with an ergonomic design, waterproof, and dustproof.
It is equipped with a gold-plated USB connector for a reliable connection, 19 conflict-free keys, 12 multimedia, interchangeable arrow keys and WASD keys for ultimate gaming performance.
- Multiple backlight colors to choose from.
- Four different lighting modes.
- Gamers can adjust the brightness and breathing speed.
- Compatible with Windows OS and Mac OS.
- It’s produced with a one-year warranty.
- It’s great for late-night gaming.
- The keys are spaced apart perfectly.
- Good build quality.
- The cable is braided to last longer.
- Reasonable price for a gaming keyboard.
- High-performance product.
- The keyboard attracts dust.
- LED indicators for caps lock and NumLock are too bright.
7. Zebronics MaxPlus LED Gaming Keyboard – Perfect for gaming
Zebronics MaxPlus LED Gaming USB Keyboard is a full sized mechanical keyboard built with an excellent design and a durable structure. It is a sturdy keyboard with 104 keys, a USB interface with a cable length of 1.8m. It comes with 12 additional multimedia keys.
- 10 LED light modes.
- Five levels of brightness.
- Double injection suspended keycaps.
- Has one year warranty.
- The heavy weight ensures that it does not move around while you use it.
- Good product for gaming.
- The keys have a very long life.
- High durability.
- Its response time is excellent.
- Cool lighting effect.
- Keys are visible without backlight as well.
- Strong braided cable connector.
- It is quite heavy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are all gaming keyboard noisy?
No, not all gaming keyboard is noisy. But even if they are, you wont be able to hear them as you will be plugged in with headphones or earphones.
2. Are all gaming keyboard mechanical keyboard?
No, not all gaming keyboards are mechanical keyboards. Some are also membrane keyboards.
3. Can I change the color on an RGB keyboard or they are constant?
Yes, you can change the color on most RGB gaming keyboards.
4. How do I go about changing the backlight color?
Most keyboards can be controlled with additional downloadable software compatible with that keyboard.
5. What is standard key number for a keyboard?
A standard keyboard comes with 104 keys, but some keyboards are built with additional keys such as multimedia keys and other control keys.
6. Can they all work with mac?
Yes, some of them can work on Mac; but a few do not. If you have a Mac, you should always check the compatibility.
If you are a hardcore gamer, a gaming keyboard will help you significantly improve your performance. This article has provided you with all the information you need to get the best gaming keyboard for your needs. If you are still dazed, take a look at our picks:
Corsair K55 RGB Gaming Keyboard is the most popular option and quite costly as well, but for good reason. Corsair is a company highly respected for its gaming products and this keyboard is no different.
The Logitech gaming keyboard is even pricier, but you can be assured of quality, durability and reliability associated with this brand. If you are on a budget, Redragon Karura is a perfect choice as it has all the features of a premium gaming keyboard at a lower price.