Best Chromebooks in India
Gone are the days when Windows and macOS platforms ruled the laptops market. Today, with the rapidly advancing technology, even schools are beginning to go for cheaper Google Chrome OS systems because now you can install and run Microsoft Office on a Chromebook.
At least that’s a software widely accepted both in academic and professional fields.
Chromebooks were first introduced in the market in 2011, with its primary operations highly dependent on the internet. Back then, many of its applications and documents could only be accessed via the cloud.
It is for this reason that Chromebooks did not become so popular until recently when improvements were developed, including the introduction of Android apps.
Obviously, the primary lookout is to make a good purchase, and hence we have integrated Unique Chromebook features, the difference between Chromebooks and Laptops, buying tips, FAQs, and 8 Top rated Chromebooks on the internet.
Top 8 Best Chromebooks in India
Valuable & Affordable
Best Processing Speed
Best Build Quality
High Performance & Portability
Good Low-End Product
Unique Features of Chromebooks
Chromebooks are gradually deviating from the original Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Calendar apps that they were initially optimized for. Similarly, with the integration of Android apps and other upgraded features, many companies have joined in the manufacture of these versatile, lightweight gadgets.
The market is now flooded with gadgets from giant brands like Samsung, Asus, HP, Dell, just to mention but a few.
It is, therefore, important to look deeper into the finer details of particular features and factors before making a purchase decision in your budget.
Google’s operating system that is installed in Chromebooks is user-friendly and easy to use. However, to get the best out of your Chromebook device, you have to learn the advanced features and a few tricks.
This enables you to find a way to work offline, play games, access some Android apps, manage tasks, and much more. Here are things you need to know about a Chromebook:
Initially and even up until now, Chromebooks are primarily designed to function on an internet connection. Google has, however, been collaborating with app service providers to avail more offline advantages to the customers.
As a result, many web apps today are including offline abilities to enable users to play or work when the device is not connected to the internet.
To check the platforms available offline, you have to navigate on the box that is marked “Runs Offline” on the Chrome Web Store to see what apps are available for you when you are offline.
Chromebooks entered the market as a serious threat to the existence of tablets. They, however, lacked in terms of high portability and user experience gained from tablets.
But over the years, Chromebooks have been evolving, and as at now, we have models that offer 180-degree barrel hinges that allow you to fold the screen back on itself.
Chromebooks strictly operate on Google’s Chrome OS. It does not allow for the installation of Windows or macOS or any other operating systems. So you have to get used to Chrome OS and Chrome browser to get the best out of these gadgets.
The amazing thing about these gadgets is that, like the browser itself, it has advanced features and add-ons that improve its versatility of operations.
As mentioned earlier, Chromebooks have started to incorporate the applications you see in Android smartphones and tablets courtesy of Google Play Store. You can now access games and productivity apps to allow you to have an expanded platform of your smartphone.
Many app developers are working hand in hand with Google to optimize their platforms for perfect compatibility with the Chrome OS. The first device to launch with Google Play Store pre-installed was Samsung Chromebook Plus, but the trend has now become a standard for most models in the market.
Storage Space & RAM
Being primarily an internet device, it influences much of the storage space in Chromebook’s availability in cloud, Dropbox, and any other online storage platform. But that is not always possible because to access these spaces, you need an internet connection.
So even though Chrome OS works seamlessly with Google Drive, it is advisable to go for a model that has a storage space of 32GB and above. Especially if you are the type that needs offline storage for remote access whenever you want.
When it comes down to RAM, this is an essential aspect as it determines the processing speed of the machine. Models that integrate 2GB of RAM face an uphill task when several browser tabs are open at the same time.
And that’s something we have to avoid because the internet is a place where one page leads you to information on another page, and opening many tabs are inevitable. A Chromebook device that has a 4GB RAM can simplify much work for you.
Smartphones used as passwords.
Instead of keying in digits and letters as your password every time you want to log into your Chrome OS, there is a way you can configure your smartphone. Such that every time with your phone near it, the Chrome OS unlocks automatically.
You only need an Android 5.0 or above device to find a sound Bluetooth connection by navigating through the settings under the ‘Smart Lock’ of your OS. With this kind of setup, your device remains locked when you are away and opens again when you come back with your smartphone adjacent to it.
Unlike macOS and Windows, it is simple to switch from one user account to another on Chrome OS. This is because most of the activities on a Chromebook are confined on the web.
With the Guest Mode of the device enabled, you can seamlessly switch from one user to another the way you switch in between tabs on the internet. In fact, it is possible to add a number of permanent users with everyone in charge of their personal online accounts.
On average, a Chromebook can survive on a single charge for a minimum of 8 hours. That is why they are ideal for students because then they can achieve a lot done without having to plug in a charger.
The Chrome OS, by default, is low on energy consumption. You can play games, work, and browse all day without worrying about draining your battery.
It is an open secret that Chromebooks come with different USB ports and HDMI points. So it is important to consider a device that either has an SD card slot or USB Type-C connections to make work easier for you.
Similarly, these devices do not support ports for connection to printers like in Windows and other devices. In that case, you have to either look for a device whose firmware update supports wireless printing via the drive or a Google Cloud Print Ready certified printer.
Of course, price is the main determinant of what you can afford. Chromebooks are relatively cheaper compared to laptops. But since the devices are becoming more advanced every year, more premium models are getting launched too.
The main idea behind Chromebooks is a trimmed down version of laptops, and even costs are cut too. Even the most advanced Chromebooks like Samsung Pro hardly cost more than $500 in the market.
Chromebooks are versatile 2 in 1 laptop in the sense that you can switch between various modes. The commonly available modes are the stand, tent, laptop, and tablet.
The resolution on the screen determines clarity and workability with Android Apps when in tablet mode. Choose a resolution that will be clear from all viewing angles. Images blurred portrayed the worst feeling of a bad quality screen.
Difference between Chromebooks and Laptops
Chromebooks are basically laptops operating on a Chrome OS. But aside from the operating system, Chromebooks vary from laptops in almost all the aspects. Starting from size, Chromebooks are designed with minimalistic features and lightweight, while laptops are more cumbersome.
The prices too vary with laptops selling more expensive because they are more self-contained. The internet does much of the heavy lifting for the Chromebook models.
When it comes to storage, most Chromebooks have little internal memory with most top-notch models featuring a maximum of 64GB.
Unlike laptops, you have to hasten your proficiency with storing and retrieving files on the cloud. Furthermore, it is a familiar trend with most Chromebooks to include a 100GB free storage on Google Drive.
Chromebooks are mainly meant for those who love casual browsing, streaming music & movies, Gmail, and formatting documents via Google Docs.
9 Best Chromebooks in India
1. Lenovo Chromebook C330 – Our Pick
Lenovo C330 is a white, bright, attractive, and best budget Chromebook that integrates a powerful MediaTek MT8173C Processor. This gives it a fast processing speed that can easily handle multitasking and heavy game graphics. Similarly, the device has a quick response to commands and gestures.
It features a plastic chassis body solidly build to give it a sturdy look and lightweight. And the most amazing feature of this Chromebook is that it supports four different modes.
Such that you can switch from tent to laptop, stand, and tablet modes whenever you want. And the screen responds quite well to such adjustments.
- Integrates 4GB LPDDR3 RAM and 64GB internal storage in the drive. It is rare to find a Chromebook machine with such a capacity within the price range. Oh, and it also comes with a free 100GB on Google Drive.
- The device features a touchscreen IPS display that is 11-inch. This display is efficient in all the available modes and works especially fine for multimedia and computing.
- There are two USB ports on either side of the Chromebook; Type-C and Type 3.0. Additionally, HDMI port, together with a memory card slot, is incorporated on the sides.
- The keyboard and trackpad are made of high-quality plastic that feels nice and comfortable to work on.
- Like most of the models already reviewed in this article, Lenovo C330 is a 360-degree convertible laptop. This allows for switching from one mode to another.
- It comes with built-in virus protection; hence, no longer you need to be worried about losing your data.
- It has a product dimension of 29.2 x 2 x 21.5 cm and weighs 1.2kgs only.
- It has extended battery life.
- It does not require huge setup steps as only logging in with your Google account will do the next jobs.
- It has a sharp, colorful IPS screen.
- The built quality is solid.
- Easy to use and ensure easy installation of any app
- Touchscreen that complements Android Apps for a perfect experience.
- Comes with an SD card slot
- Bluetooth connection cuts any and every limitation
- It does not support Linux applications.
- Not great for intense gaming
2. Acer Chromebook R11 – Valuable & Affordable
With the looks and style that draws inspiration from MacBook Air, Acer R11 is a premium Chromebook with a full aluminum body. Its processing speed might not be the best, but a 360-degree flip-flop hinge gives it a tip over competitors in the same price segment.
The machine is super lightweight and slim, with a thickness of about 19.2mm. This size can seamlessly fit into your backpack. Appropriate, especially among students who majorly use Google Docs and rely on the browser for their research and casual browsing.
- Acer R11 features an 11.6-inch touchscreen with a resolution of 1366×768. Despite the small size, the device displays nicely.
- On both side peripherals are two USB ports; Type 2.0 and Type 3.0. Other features include the full-size HDMI port, SD card slot, and a headphone jack.
- The machine incorporates 4GB of RAM and 32GB storage space. The internal memory might seem like low capacity, but this is fair compared to other Chromebooks. Furthermore, Acer R11 comes with a bonus of 100GB storage on Google Drive.
- Acer R11 design is minimalistic, with dimensions measuring 11.57×8.03×0.76 inches. This makes it highly portable.
- It has a long battery life of up to 10 hours.
- The device is convertible.
- It comes with a 720P webcam. This enables skype and other video chat platforms.
- Very quick in its action
- It’s a user-friendly device
- Does not come with a warranty
- The screen displays in HD only.
3. HP Chromebook Silver – Budget Machine
HP has built its brand and trust with its customers for some time now. The HP Chromebook Silver follows the trend with its combination of premium features at an affordable price.
The device features a slim, lightweight design similar to that of the HP Stream mini-laptop. Overall, look on the product both up close and from afar seem impressive with a decent surface that does not leave fingerprints when you touch it. The software experience too, is worth mentioning as the machine runs fast and efficiently.
- Despite its minimalistic design, the gadget incorporates two USB 2.0 ports and one USB 3.0 port. It also includes an HDMI port, headphone jack, and a Bluetooth 4.0 combo. Most Chromebook devices hardly have any USB ports.
- The performance of this device is highly boosted by the Intel HD graphics that improve its processing speed. Starting the device and booting up takes happens almost at an instant.
- It has a long battery life of up to 9 hours on a single charge. You can use it for your campus classes all day.
- HP Chromebook Silver device houses a RAM of 4GB and internal storage of 16GB. Well, this is relatively a small space considering some of it is occupied by pre-installed apps.
- The display resolution is 1366x768p
- The device has a dimension of 0.7 in (H) x 13.5 in (W) x 9.4 in (D) and Weighs 3.7 lbs
- Supports photo editing and gaming.
- It does not take much time to boot
- The device wakes up just by touching the keys
- The keyboard is visible in low light.
- Because of being extremely lightweight, it can easily be carried
- Internal storage limited to only 16GB.
- Battery life is very low
4. Google Pixelbook – Best Processing Speed
Processing power is a top priority feature in a laptop, especially if you use it for professional duties, and you like to play games. The Google Pixelbook is a premium device that features a super slim design with amazing features that can do for you just about everything you need in a laptop. It was the first Chromebook to launch with an inbuilt pixel pen and google assistant features.
And if you are a new Chrome OS convert and you have some cash to spare, this device may be your next best catch to boost your productivity.
Unlike Windows, where you have to purchase a separate program like MS Office, Google Pixel comes with a range of free software like Google Docs, Slides, and Sheets that you can automatically access on your Google Account.
- Google Pixel is compatible with a range of Android Apps, including MyRadar, Netflix, Google Photos, Clash of Clans, Play Music, System Monitor, Package Monitor, and much more.
- The device takes the form of a 4-in-1 design. In simple words, you can switch in between the tablet, laptop, entertainment, and tent modes available in the device.
- It has a long-lasting battery life of up to 10 hours. The device also relatively charges faster, and a quick 30 minutes charge can last you for at least 3 hours.
- The i5 model, which is cheaper compared to others, features 8GB of RAM and 128GB internal storage memory space. Storage is a major issue for Chromebooks, but with this device, you can store a few of the essential documents you want to access offline.
- Google Pixel i5 is a lightweight machine that measures 29cmx22.1cmx1.1cm and only weighs about 1kg. Feels great in your hands and has an adequate screen that is 12.3 inches in size.a
- The device has a uBreakiFix program that takes back your broken laptop and gives you a new one. Of course, at a small fee. So you don’t have to worry about bricking it.
- Google Pixelbook comes fully updated with an active inbuilt antivirus. With this device, you won’t experience annoying notifications prompting you to update or install an antivirus program.
- It has a commendable design with silicone palm rest combining to make it look even more intriguing.
- The best part is no slow boot, no antivirus program, and no annoying updates.
- It does not support Softwares like Photoshop; you need to wait for the software to mature as presently it is not enough to suffice your purpose.
5. Asus Chromebook – Best Build Quality
With thick bezels and every component of the device made of aluminum, it is worth mentioning that the Asus Chromebook C302 good build quality machine. No plastic in there. Even the hinges that provide a 360-degree flip on itself is made of aluminum.
The screen displays nicely from all the viewing angles and features a resolution of 2400×1340. And being a touchscreen, it allows you to switch between laptop and tablet modes whenever you want.
There are the USB Type-C port and SD card slot on the right-hand side, and other peripheral outlets like audio jacks are available as well.
- The device incorporates powerful Intel Core Processors which, when coupled with Chrome OS makes things faster and can seamlessly handle the task of any magnitude.
- Asus Chromebook Flip C302 is highly optimized for compatibility with Android Apps. You can access your games, productivity apps, entertainment, whether you are online or offline. The touchscreen allows you to flex on these apps the best way you can either on a laptop or tablet mode.
- Apart from being a super thin and lightweight aluminum build gadget, the device features
- Corning Gorilla Glass on its display screen. It can survive tough moments of accidental slips. Most rugged phones have their screens made of gorilla glass.
- As per the benchmark results, the device’s battery is designed to last for 10 hours on a single charge. It also takes less time to charge. Battery usage, however, depends on what you are doing with your laptop and the surrounding environmental conditions.
- It features 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, which is reasonable for a Chromebook.
- It comes with a 100GB free storage with Google Drive.
- The device is much fun, sleek, and works perfectly with more games.
- The device starts within seconds, and hence no longer you have to wait.
- Commendable display quality and backlight illuminated keyboard is the pudding on the cake.
- It lacks USB Type-A port and Thunderbolt 3.
- The display is less bright, making it only suitable for indoor use.
6. Samsung Chromebook Plus – High Performance & Portability
The Samsung Chromebook Plus features a sleek impressive full metal body that carries a handful of amazing features. Since the hinges are set to rotate on a 360-degree, you can either use it as a laptop or a tablet.
The Built-in pen that comes with the device helps you to prepare your personal notes, sketches, take screenshots, and even unlock your screen. The screen, with an aspect ratio of 3:2, is highly guarded by Gorilla Glass 3. The aspect ratio gives it the portrait tablet experience and allows for widescreen viewing for you to enjoy your favorite shows.
- Samsung Chromebook is Google Play Store ready. All your categories of Android Apps are available for download and installation from the Store of the device.
- At the peripherals are two USB Type-C ports for data transfer and phone charging. The headphone jack for connecting your headsets is adjacent to one of the ports.
- The device comes with a built-in antivirus system and Google products like Google Drive. Saves money that would have otherwise been used on 3rdparty programs.
- At a resolution of 2400×1600, the device gives a vibrant display. The touchscreen is more efficient in tablet mode when you are playing games or navigating apps.
- This device comes with 4GB of RAM and 12.3 inches of a wide touchscreen.
- It has the ARM Mali-T860 Graphics.
- It comes with a built-in stylus pen.
- Stereo speakers and webcam are the added bonus features to the Chromebook.
- It has great speed and battery life
- Not compatible with Microsoft Office products.
- 32GB hard drive storage space is not adequate for those who want to keep massive files.
7. Dell Chromebook 11 – HD Graphics
An 11-inch display screen might be small, but for a laptop that is super portable and functional, that’s a commendable thing. Dell Chromebook 11 was released early this year and is one of the models that dominate the mini-laptop market.
The device integrates a Celeron Dual-Core Processor that works magic on multitasking and responding to commands. Also, the Google Assistant in it acts promptly on requests. The unique and amazing feature about this model, despite its small size, is that it features a RAM of 16GB.
- Mainly designed for education. There are a number of Google Apps for students that can be downloaded from the Chrome Web Store. An example is an App for Classroom where teachers can coordinate learning from one central point. Students sent assignments and revisions.
- The device is designed with a spill-resistant keyboard.
- It has 11.6 inches of display and integrated with the Intel Celeron Processor N3060
- It has a 2.48GHz processor speed
- Dell Chromebook 11 has a Drop Protection to guard it against breaking when accidentally dropped. School can be a rough place. With the lockers and buses followed by commotion brought by human traffic, you never know the next time, you bang your laptop.
- It has a long battery life of 10 hours. This can last a whole day in school.
- The edges are rubberized to enhance grip against sliding.
- It has 2 USB ports and also one for HDMI.
- It has superb battery life.
- Very simple in its usage
- Has a small screen.
8. Samsung Chromebook – Good Low-End Product
The Samsung Chromebook 11.6-inch is more appropriate for someone looking for a way to browse the internet and check email in the most convenient manner.
This device includes a keyboard that feels real, something that is often overlooked by Chromebook vendors. In an attempt to optimize their devices for tablet mode, they focus more on the touchscreen and forget the keyboard, where input feels more real.
The size of the keys on the keyboard also gives room for comfortable usage.
- Samsung Chromebook takes a very short time to boot up and shut down. This owes to the Intel Celeron N3060 Dual-Core processor runs its operations.
- The total dimension is 29×20.6×1.8cm
- This device has a MicroSD slot to allow for the expansion of storage. The internal memory is 16GB, which is little since some pre-installed Apps occupy some space too.
- The screen features 11.6″ display with a resolution of 1366×768.
- The connectivity options include Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, stereo speakers, and much more. It’s a slim device with a mere thickness of 0.7-inches.
- Features 2 USB ports. 3.0, and 2.0 together with an HDMI port too.
- Web pages load relatively faster.
- Comes with the microSD expansion slot
- Quick shut down and boot up
- Sensitive touchpad
- Limited drive space.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can you install Microsoft Office on a Chromebook?
Yes, that can be done in two ways. Chromebooks now support a range of Android Apps. You just head to Google Play Store and install the Office mobile app to use it on your laptop. Alternatively, the Chrome web store allows you to install your office online where you will edit and format your files from there.
Also worth mentioning is that the web-based version of the office that Microsoft offers is free and includes the whole package that breaks down to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint all online. It is important to note that you cannot install the Windows version of Office 2016 and Office 365 on these devices.
2. Can you watch Netflix on a Chromebook?
Of course, yes. Chrome is currently rated the best browser in terms of capacity and efficiency. With perfect knowledge of its extensions navigating the browser becomes easy.
Being a heavyweight browser Chrome handles Netflix shows without struggling. You can either download the Netflix App from Google Play Store or stream directly on the Netflix Website.
3. Do Chromebooks need antivirus protection?
No, this machine has many ways to protect itself from malware and virus. First is by sandboxing, a method that ensures each application and website runs independently. Keeps the overall system free of viruses.
Secondly, all your data that’s stored on your Chromebook is usually encrypted. It’s hard for third parties to collect your data or scam you.
Chromebooks are technically thinner and lighter laptops that work on Chrome OS. The simplicity of these machines is what keeps their prices affordable. Performance is excellent and the OS compatible with many productivity Android apps and those of entertainment.
Now is the right time to buy a Chromebook when its abilities are expanding. We may not necessarily be fond of cloud storage but that seems to be the way in the future.
Perhaps when a new way of accessing your files offline on Google Drive is designed. Before buying a new Chromebook, ensure to check all the right boxes from design to ability, and to storage. Comparisons are necessary for developing the best purchase decision.