Top 10 Best Bike Locks
Have you ever wondered about the safety of your bike when it is parked outside? Bike thefts are common occurrences, and when your much prized and cherished bike is lying against railings outside, there’s no way you’d be able to concentrate at a meeting, class, conference or fun hangout.
The use of the best bike lock is a very effective way to keep your bike safely parked outside anywhere for as long as you need without fear of theft.
Bike locks are security devices used to guide against the theft of bikes by locking the wheels of a motorcycle or other important parts and fastening it to a nearby structure.
Your bike lock and helmet lock is an instrumental and essential part of your life as a cycler, almost as important as your bike because it always keeps your bike safe and secure. Here, you will get to know the history of bike locks.
The guide includes everything you need to know about bike locks. You will find all kinds of products right from light-weight bike locks, smart bike locks and if you are under budget then even cheap bike locks.
In this article, first, you will see the history of bike locks, its advantages, features, Different types of Bike locks along with a comprehensive buyers guide. Then, we have reviewed the top 10 bike locks and mentioned its unique features, pros, and cons. In the end, you will also find a few FAQs to clear your doubts.
Top 10 Best Bike Locks
Great for expensive bikes
The high performance
Hulk of Locks
Accurate and smart lock
History of Bike Locks
The primitive and crude method of locking bicycles was the padlock and a steel chain. The earliest manufacturer of bicycles was found in Germany, France, and the UK. This was also the first place that most specially designed bicycle lock was made.
Steel lock from Germany; they were designed for locking a rear wheel between the spokes, with the lock mounted directly on the stay.
American bike locks: bicycle lock was made of brass were exported from the US. These types of locks are put in the front or at the back or rear arm or around the pedal bar and the frame of the bicycle with some spokes.
Bike lock with chains: this consists of two links of the chain, coupled together by a shackle of the padlock. This chain allows you to lock the bike to an immovable object. This lock concept develops into a padlock type with two shackles, one permanently connected to a sturdy chain, and the other opens and closes around the link at the end of the chain.
More recent steel bike lock: Optimus design the recent locks. They are of different types and sizes and are built to lock the rear wheel with the spokes as the lock is mounted directly on the stay. The first lock is not very reliable; they were too easy to break and to open with a hammer and other tools.
Advantages of Using a Bike Lock
The advantages of using a bike lock are pretty obvious; some of the key benefits of using a bike lock are as follows:
- Security: using a bike lock offers a very reliable level of security to your bike and prevents thefts and damage
- Accessibility: parking your bike in an area where there are other similar bikes may make it difficult for you to locate your bike when you are ready to leave quickly.
Using a bike lock to fasten your bike to a landmark structure would help you to find your bike among other bikes easily.
- Cost-effective: it is more economically effective and cheaper for you just to fasten your bike to a structure than to pay for parking lots or people to watch over your bike.
Features of Bike Lock
- Easy to use: Locks should open smoothly with a minimum of fiddling. A light key helps minimize fumbling at night. If the lock is light enough, it should be small enough to fit neatly into a backpack.
- Durable: The best bike lock is the ones that are water-resistant and can resist rust. Hardened steel is among the strongest bike-lock materials available in the market today.
- Tough for thieves to defeat: No lock is not penetrable, but a good bike lock makes stealing difficult for thieves. Look for hardened steel shackles and chains, the thicker, the better.
- Warrantied: Consumer needs to get a good sense of how a lock will prevent theft by looking at the manufacturer anti-theft plan. To take advantage of the anti-theft warranty, you must submit the document and other materials-often including pieces of broken lock-to the producer.
Types of bike lock
If you own a bicycle or motorcycle, one of the most important factors to consider is getting a quality bike lock. There are numerous types and brands of bike locks that are available in the market today, all offering different levels of protection against theft.
If you want to buy a bike lock for your motorcycle, always go for the ones with solid secure ratings. If the bike lock doesn’t have a solid secure rating, don’t buy it.
Here are some of the bike lock types that will offer maximum protection for your bike.
This is also called a U-lock. These shackles have been in existence since 1970, and they are essentially giant padlocks. They vary in size, weight, and strength.
The D-lock, also commonly called U-lock, has some advantages and disadvantages.
- Generally resistant to bolt cutters.
- Lighter than the majority of the chain locks
- Resistant to drilling, picking and leverage attacks
- It is also cheap, compared to the quality
- It is available at every sold secure rating level.
- They are heavy and difficult to carry around
- They can also be awkward to loop around.
This is made up of hard metal links. The chain is locked with a padlock. The links and chains as a whole vary in size, shape, weight, and strength. The heavier the chain, the more secure the chain. They are covered with a plastic sleeve to protect the chain and bike.
The chain lock also has its advantages and disadvantages.
- Available at every solid rating
- Can be difficult for a thief to cut because the links are movable
- Visual deterrent
- It can also be used to secure a wide variety of objects.
- It is bulky and heavy
- Most are often difficult to cut with bolt croppers
- The plastic sleeve covering the links often get worn out easily.
These bike locks are lightweight, and they can be easily transported from one place to another. Like chain locks, they are flexible, which means they can help secure a lot of objects.
- Light and easy to carry around
- Can be used as an extra lock to protect bike part
- Cannot be used as a primary lock
- Can be cut within seconds by a bolt croppers
- Not available at every solid, secure rating level
- Very weak, and it is at risk from all types of attack method.
As the name implies, they are foldable, and they have a compact design. Most of the folding locks come with a bracket for your bike for transporting.
- It is easy to carry around
- It is lighter than chain locks and D-locks
- Available at the top end of the solid secure rating, making it a top-notch bike lock.
- They are limited in the market
- Have not been in the market for as long as D-locks.
Keyed locks are the types of locks that you have to lock with a key. The locks could be chain locks, d locks or u locks.
- The keys offer extra protection.
- The keys can be misplaced or lost.
- The key locks can be easily picked.
- The keys can be duplicated or copied.
Combination locks are the kind of locks that work with combination codes. Similarly, these locks could be chain locks, d locks or U locks
- These locks offer more protection and security than key locks.
- They cannot be picked or duplicated.
- The user may forget his or her combination code.
- The combination code may be guessed or hacked.
- The combination lock could be broken.
Bike Locks Buyers Guide
When choosing a bicycle lock, you have to consider a lot of factors so that you can get adequate satisfaction and value for your money after the purchase. Bicycle locks come in different types and brands, and therefore, every user must make an informed choice among all the options and brands available to choose from.
Choosing the best lock for your bicycle should take into consideration your needs and lifestyle.
There are several types of bicycle locks for several purposes, and you should choose a bike lock based on your taste and preferences and more importantly, the effectiveness, usability, and durability of the bicycle lock s.
Many different ranges of bike locks are available on the market, considering the following factors would help you purchase the best option to suit your bike:
A good bike lock should be pocket-friendly and should suit your financial capabilities. Getting a really expensive bike lock which may cost as much as your bike itself isn’t a wise choice. You should be able to strike a balance between cheap products and quality products and decide on a choice that wouldn’t cost too much while still giving you value for your money.
Moving around in a bike doesn’t give you the luxury of carrying heavy stuff around, a suitable bike lock should be light, easy to carry around, and mobile-friendly. A heavy bike lock may destroy the carriage part of the bicycle and render it useless.
The level of security that a bike lock offers is a very important factor to consider when purchasing a security device for your bicycle. An efficient bike lock should not only secure your device to a pole or any other nearby structure but also ensure that the lock cannot be easily removed or tampered with.
Some locks may secure the body of the bike to the pole but may not prevent other important parts of the bike such as the wheels for example, from being stolen. An ideal bike lock should keep every part of the bicycle safe from vandalization or theft.
Nobody would want a bike lock that needs to be changed every other month, and a good bike lock should last for a sufficiently long time and still give maximum security to your bicycle even after it is no longer shiny new. A bike lock that would fall apart easily or reduce its effectiveness after a period of use is not appropriate and not advisable.
An appropriate bike lock should be maintained easily and affordably without causing any stress or discomfort to the owner. Owning a bike lock that is as costly and burdensome to maintain as the bike itself is not cost-effective and is certainly not a wise choice.
Like every other appliance for everyday use, the ideal bike lock should be safe for use without posing any likely threat of harm or injury to the user and other people around. If a bicycle lock injures the owner, it becomes counterproductive as it breaches the personal security and safety that it was bought to protect.
Ease of use:
A good bike lock must be easy to use on a bicycle. Using a bike lock that would take thirty minutes to secure is a complete waste of time, energy, and resources. Your bike lock should be easy to set up and should take very little time to set up.
Low chances of vandalization:
While some bike locks offer a level of security for your bike, they could be dismantled by really determined and destructive people. A good bike lock should not be easily unfastened or destroyed, at the very least, unfastening a bike lock by a person who is not the owner should take so much time that the person would be caught while trying to steal the bike.
A bike lock should be aesthetically pleasing. Even though it is not an original or initial part of the bike, the bike lock should look good on the bike and maybe even match in color and style. Your bike lock should not make your bike look old or ugly.
1. AllExtreme Bike lock – Our choice
AllExtreme multipurpose heavy-duty chain lock contains two keys with specifications 80 cm x 1/2 cm high. This bike is made with forged iron links with nylon outer cover details. This bike lock is the perfect lock for one’s bicycle, motorcycle, car, etc.
This bike lock is recommended for those who wish to ensure proper safety when absent. It could be used in several ways to ensure peace of mind. This lock is a lot easier to lock and unlock with its unique pair of keys.
This lock is drill resistant, hammer resistant and it is made with manganese steel. Manganese steel allows for high impact strength, durability, and resistance to abrasion once in its work-hardened state. All extreme chain lock is a hard, wear-resistant and self-renewing surface over a tough, unbreakable core.
- Anti-theft heavy-duty link lock with keys to protect your property
- Strengthened metal alloy
- The size of the bike lock is standard
- Product dimension is 40 x 3 x 15 cm
- It has a convenient, high-quality mounting bracket
- Premium theft deterrence
- It is of good quality
- It is made of metal and hence is Sturdy
- Key is different and easy to use
- It is durable
- It is wear-resistant
- Locks helmets easily
- It is a little expensive
- Key is weak
2. Bulfyss Bike Lock – Great for expensive bikes
This bike lock is a perfect solution for your security issues. It is a multipurpose tool for bicycles, motorcycles, and all other large equipment. It is a swift and efficient lock for securing your bikes during short stops in under 3 minutes. This bike lock serves protective gear for your bicycle, ATV or other valuables against theft.
This magnificent lock contains a 5-digit combination code that allows up to 10,000 possibilities of numbers. Therefore, making this lock probably impossible to crack. In other words, an owner has the opportunity to create their personal code combination in the strong and complicated mechanism.
This bike has a diameter of 1/2 inch which equates 12mm with the vinyl shell. The vinyl material On the lock makes it possible for resistance against wear and tear. This material protects the Lock to a large extent from sun exposure.
- Flexible steel cables for strong resistance against cut as it is made of a braided steel cable which repels against strong cuts.
- PVC coating which prevents scratching on the lock
- Resettable combination number
- Easy to set combination with 5-digit codes
- The lock weighs 0.7 pounds.
- Flexible with a length of 4 feet which equates 1200mm.
- It is Stylish and is Sturdy
- It is a compact and safer lock
- It serves a multipurpose use for not only bicycles but also skateboards, gates & fences, grills& lawnmower, sports equipment, tool boxes & ladder
- It is worth the money
- the quality is excellent.
- The lock might jam
- It might be unhandy enough
- It might be a little costly
3. BikenWear Bike Lock – Great quality
This bike lock is made from a solid cast of steel, iron and zinc alloy and this in return allows resistance against corrosion. The materials in which it is made from makes it very difficult to break and thereby to give valuable security required for the bike.
This bike is a compact anti-theft device with a hardened steel locking pin which makes this lock impossible to drill, saw, cut or hammer off. This theft deterrent lock is simple, durable, and can be stored anywhere.
This lock is of sturdy construction. It comes with two keys which could be very advantageous in case one key gets misplaced. It is an economical and effective tool to ensure the ultimate safekeeping of one’s properties.
- The design and mechanism of this lock is simple
- Shipping weight is 499grams
- Package dimension is 10.4 x 8.4 x 2.5 cm
- It is ideal for locking motorcycles and other large equipment
- Key safe program
- It is well put together
- It is compact and can be stored anywhere. Even in your pockets
- The build quality is sturdy and durable
- It is almost impossible to drill, saw, hammer on the lock
- A temporary block from thieves
- Affordable and made of good quality
- 100% security cannot be guaranteed
- The locking mechanism is delicate
4. Wintech Bike Lock – The high performance
This lock has a resettable combination lock which can be done by the user as often as they want. This bike lock is not only suitable for bicycles but also ideal doe skateboards, sports equipment, etc. It comes with various features and lasts for a longer time.
It allows for a 4-digit combination to open the lock, and users can set numbers to whatever code they wish. This cable lock is made out of 12mm thick steel wire.
The cable lock is approximately 1.0m which equates 3.5ft. It is long enough to lock both the front and the back wheels together. The lock has a comprehensive anti-saw, an anti-drill cylinder with waterproof dust cover standard grade in line with the modern requirement.
The shell of the bike lock is made of high ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) which maintains contact with the road surface.
- Resettable personalized number combination
- It serves a multipurpose use for safekeeping bikes, skateboards, lawnmowers, gates, and fences, etc
- It is flexible and has a nice and stylish look
- Great performance cable in resisting strong cut
- PVC coating helps prevent scratching of the lock, thereby keeping it more durable.
- It has a length of 1200mm diameter
- It has a default code of 0000
- It has a high temperature of resistance against wear and tear
- It is heavy and rugged
- It is sturdy and of good quality
- Price appropriate for the product
- It secures properly
- Product meets expectation
- Easier reset of code
- the lock holder is little loose
5. Rollyware Bike Lock – Hulk of Locks
This lock is a high-performance, interlinked and secures lock which serves a multipurpose use of safekeeping not only your bike but also other equipment. This brand of bike chain lock is a tough lock to crack.
This Rollyware lock and chain combination is made with strong elements. The interlinked ABS steel shackles prevent any attempt to remove or break the lock by hammering. It provides efficient and effective protection against violent methods of attack.
This brand is resistant to lock pickers. It allows for easy locking everywhere and anywhere. The chain bike lock model VIDAR fits on a wide range of holes and fences.
- 8mm hardened steel bicycle chain lock made for extensive holding power
- It has 360 locking bolt mechanism with a locking technology that offers high protection against attacks
- It has a nylon protective sleeve to protect the bike’s paint
- This chain lock has three laser-cut alloy keys against picking locks
- Movable keyhole cover to prevent corrosion and dirt
- 9mm square chain links made from 3T manganese steel
- Package dimension is 21.9 x 14.5 x 4.2cm
- It is easy and convenient to use
- It serves a multipurpose use of securing bicycle, baby carts, and other equipment
- This bike lock is sturdy and tough
- It is of a considerable good length
- It provides three keys for safety reasons
- The product is heavy
6. Allextreme Universal Cable Locks – Excellent quality
This cable coil is an anti-theft multipurpose lock. It is made with a stainless steel alloy cable coil which is resistant to wear easy open and lock mechanism. This cable coil is flexible and is constructed with a coated PVC and sturdy braided steel to prevent theft.
It serves a multipurpose use in terms of locking other heavy-duty equipment. This bike lock is lengthy and versatile; that is, it is of a very lightweight and easy to stash and carry around.
- It is very flexible and comes with two keys
- It has a long-lasting cable with a length of 3 ft which equates 1-meter
- It is made of heavy-duty and braided steel with PVC coating against rust and scratch.
- It is versatile regarding simplicity and portability
- Package dimension is 45.7 x 61 x 45.7 cm
- It is made of stainless steel
- It is sturdy
- It is made of good quality material
- This product is affordable and works the money
- It serves a multipurpose use
- Smooth key opening
- The lock is not suitable for helmet
- Too long and heavy and sometimes the locking integrity is low
7. Numlock Bike Lock – Long length
These locks are designed to lock bikes, bicycles, baby carts, and many more. It is a durable and hardened lock system. It is coated with PVC to prevent rusting. It is built for multifunctional use.
It has a heavy chain that’s hard to cut and break chains that are covered with plastic materials. For the best security, the lock code cannot be changed as you will need to use the lock code.
- The heavy chain that is difficult to cut
- Multi-utility chain with a heavy-duty lock
- Item weight: 1.28 ounce
- Product dimension: 5.9 x 4.9 x 2 inches
- Attractive pricing
- Prevents rusting and corrosion and also keeps the lock new for a long period
- Can be used to lock bicycle, motorbikes and many more.
- Very handy and easy to use
- Saves times, compared to the traditional key manually operated bicycle lock
- Can be used to lock the helmet
- Large length
- Numbers may be too hard to rotate
- Cannot be reset
8. Rawat Combination Bike Lock – Multipurpose
This cable lock is a multipurpose self-coiling lock cable with a 4-digit combination code ensuring a keyless convenience. It is a suitable device in safekeeping and safeguarding your property against theft.
This cable lock is made of an exceptional quality steel wire and vinyl coating which in turn prevents a great deal of corrosion, rusting and scratching. It does not allow the advantage of resetting passwords.
- It is made with steel wire and the vinyl coating
- It has a hardened lock system with durable PVC coating
- It serves a great deal in protecting your bicycle, motorcycle, helmet, baby carrier, sporting equipment, and all other external and expensive devices and instruments.
- Product dimension is 10 x 8 x 2 cm
- It weighs 200grams
- It is durable
- It is convenient
- It is Sturdy and reliable
- It is worth the money
- The product is not up to the mark
9. Autofy Lock – Loud Alarm
This cable lock consists of state of the art sensors, receptors, and buzzer, which serve various functions such as; burglary alert, lock-unlock, vehicle spotting, wireless self-start. It is a compatible anti-theft system.
The state of the art sensors, receptors, and buzzers easily detect 125 plus decibels of sound, which facilitates hearing with a considerable distance from it. In other words, the alarm sensory detects any form of theft and consequently alerts the owner’s property.
This cable lock has a unique frequency key which allows for wireless locking and unlocking and the activation of the buzzer. This cable lock is a two-wheeler anti-theft system.
This lock has a smart ignition and bike locator feature. The theft alarm is made from exceptional premium quality material that comes with a flip key (which is commonly used in cars) and a long key (which is commonly used in bikes). Both keys have a self-starting system. The smart bike locator helps find your bike from a distance of 100meters.
- It is compatible with bikes, scooters or cars
- It has a motion sensor to detect when your bike is manhandled
- It allows for the functionality of both fingertips
- It makes use of unique frequency key
- It has an easy wiring system
- It has a premium quality waterproof plastic for durability
- Product dimension is 17.5 x 13 x 12.7cm
- It weighs 191 grams
- It is very compact and portable
- It is durable and even works from a long distance.
- It is made of good and quality material
- The cable lock consumes huge power from the motorcycle
- The sensitivity of the cable is low
- Remote is not waterproof
10. Sam GPS Security – Accurate and smart lock
This cable lock is a combination of both devices and mobile App. It allows for live tracking (real-time location and address) of the bike or device in a case where the bike gets stolen. It ensures engine access; in other words, this cable lock switches on and switches off the motorcycle from anywhere. This is of great advantage in cases of emergencies and theft.
This cable lock is compatible with cars, buses, motorcycles, etc. Multiple vehicles can be tracked using a single mobile. This bike lock is suitable for protection against theft as it has an instant alarm that notifies its owner of an attempted attack.
This bike lock makes use of a GPS security tracker which can be installed at any hidden portion of the vehicle. It allows for one to share their location with friends and family without revealing their passwords.
- This bike lock set Geo-fences and over-speed alerts. It notifies the rider of safe zones and when and if he enters or exits them
- It has a voice monitoring system
- It has an anti-theft alarm and engine lock
- It consists of a GPS tracker and travel history video in which users can view their location live through the day
- Product dimension is 10.6 x 5.5 x 1.7 cm
- It is perfect for all vehicles’ safety and security
- It is accurate
- It has a strong signal
- It does not drain the battery
- The product is a great value of the money spent
- It is a superb and excellent product
- The product is of excellent quality
- The GPS of the cable lock gives quick and effective responses
- It is unavailable where there is no cellular network
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does it work well with foldable bikes?
Yes, most of the locks work well with foldable bikes
2. How much does the u-lock portion weigh?
It weighs somewhere around 2.5Ibs
3. Can the mounting bracket fit firmly to a square-framed bike?
A: Yes, it would fit, but not firmly
4. How can you store the cable?
You can store it around the stem or under the handlebars. It has a Velcro strap to attach firmly
5. Hi, I got the lock, but I threw away the instructions before setting up a combination, what can I do?
- Turn the numbers to zero aligned with the arrow. The lock will open automatically.
- Notice the keyhole is facing up. Turn it to the horizontal position.
- Set numbers to whatever code you want, making sure that the numbers align with the arrow.
- Turn the dial, so the keyhole is back to the upright position
Congratulations, your lock is now set.
6. I have my lock on 0000, and I try to put the lock back in, and it didn’t go in. What can I do?
A: Contact the seller directly; they will give some troubleshooting steps.
7. What is the mounting bracket? How do you use it?
A: The bracket attaches to your bicycle seat post or frame post, and the actual lock has an easy release attachment mechanism that lets you hook one to another when it is not in use. To use the lock, push the easy release button, and the lock is then usable.
8. How is the narrowest part where chain and lock meet?
A: The chain is 1 and ½ inch at the junction with a lock mechanism, and then gradually widens about 1 and 2/4 of an inch at the widest part of the lock.
Bike locks are an important asset in securing your bike. The best ones now incorporate many advanced features to help you protect your bicycles and motorcycles even better. With constant innovation and technological advancements, there will be more features to enjoy in the coming years.
AllExtreme Bike Motorcycle Heavy-duty Helmet lock, Autofy Lock 0003 Universal Button Remote Key Anti-theft System for all bikes and Rollyware Hard-Anodized Aluminium Helmet lock with Mul-T lock Technology are our favorite picks because of there unique features and performances.
If you feel I have left out any detail in this article or I left out your favorite bike lock that should appear here, kindly drop a comment below.