Best Baby Safety Helmets
It is the role of every parent to make sure that their baby is protected at all times; thus, it is essential to look for some safety gear that will safeguard their babies. One common product that comes to mind to protect your baby from injuries, especially their head, is a baby safety helmet.
What is a baby safety helmet? A safety helmet is a perfect protective gear for your baby’s head from any accidents or injuries in your home. It is a product that can fit perfectly on a baby’s head to protect it when your baby wants to walk, stand, or crawl. Baby helmets are specifically designed to provide extra protection for your babies so parents can be stress-free and get peace of mind knowing that their babies are safe.
Babies can be uncontrollable sometimes, and as parents, you get worried that they might hurt themselves if they fall. Since babies and toddlers are active, they enjoy exploring many things at a very young age. They tend to be unaware of doing things that may harm them. Accidents and injuries can be inevitable at times and are common in babies.
This article also has a complete buying guide, Benefits that will help you in getting all the information under the single roof. We have a list of best baby safety helmets along with FAQs.
Best Baby Safety Helmets in India
Benefits of Wearing Baby Safety Helmets
Although some claim that using helmets is not that important, there are still advantages of using it. The following are some of the benefits of using baby safety helmets.
Protects the Brain and the Head from Injuries
The brain and head are one of the most critical parts of the body. Since babies tend to be reckless at times, it would make sense to have something that would protect it. If they fall and get to hit their head, it may cause a traumatic brain injury that could significantly affect their growth permanently. That is why it is important to give them a gear that would protect their brain and head from any injuries.
Important for the special needs of babies
Safety Helmets are useful for children with special needs that are suffering from disorders such as Epilepsy, Hemophilia, Balance Disorders, Seizures, and other disorders that tend to cause your baby to voluntarily or involuntarily bump his or her head.
Added comfort to parents
Knowing that your child is protected and safe from any bumps or injuries from the time he or she learns to walk, crawl or stand, it helps every parent to be at ease and to be comforted to let their children enjoy without being too worried.
In buying the safety helmet for your baby, size is a significant factor to consider. You need to know what size best fits your kid’s head. It should perfectly fit – not too big and not too small. In measuring your baby’s head, measure one inch above the brows because that is the thickest area of the head of your child.
A high-quality helmet comes with many impact points on the helmet. This is for the main reason that if in case he or she accidentally slips or falls, it will still protect him or her.
A helmet with a good filling material that can easily absorb impact and bumps is suggested. It should be made from non-toxic materials, odor-free, hygienic, and BPA-free. Make sure that it is not too hard to ensure it won’t be uncomfortable with your child.
The chin strap ensures that the baby’s head is secured against the cap. In buying a safety helmet, make sure that the chin strap is adjustable. Make sure that your child’s skin does not get caught in the buckle to avoid hurting him or her.
Make sure that the materials used for the manufacturing of the safety helmets are safe for your baby. Choose a material that is gentle for the baby’s sensitive skin. Cotton materials for the inside of the helmet are better since it can trap moisture. It should be shock-absorbent and bump-resistant. Make sure to choose a material that can be cleaned easily. Avoid choosing those with plastic materials as it will easily overheat.
When an infant takes in heat, most of the sweat is released from the head. It would be wise to choose a safety helmet with a lot of air ventilation holes to allow air to flow freely and avoid your baby from overheating. Through this air vent, sweat easily evaporates, thus, making the helmet sweat-resistant. This makes your child keep calm while wearing the helmet.
When purchasing a safety helmet for your baby, you need to make sure that these products are approved and passed certifications by a reliable organization such as Consumer Safety Organization. This is to make sure that the products you are buying are safe to use for your baby.
Before buying a safety helmet, you need to ascertain your budget. There is no need to worry because a lot of affordable safety helmets are now available in the markets that have excellent quality. You don’t need to spend too much fortune to buy a quality safety helmet for your child.
Since the one who’ll use the safety helmet is your baby, you need to choose a lightweight model that will be easier for them to wear. A bulky and heavy helmet will be uncomfortable for your baby and will also cause pressure in the neck.
Before buying a safety helmet, you should first know the purpose that should fulfill the right need. Since there are varieties of helmets designed for different purposes, it will be beneficial for you because it will help in easing the work and choosing the right helmet.
Ease of Cleaning
A critical consideration in choosing a baby safety helmet is its ease of cleaning. Choose a safety helmet made from materials that are easy to clean since babies have sensitive skin. Most helmets have inner pads that can be removed to clean both the padding and the helmet itself with ease.
Several factors may determine the quality of a safety helmet. One of which is buying from a known brand that guarantees a high-quality product. However, this may also cause the helmets to be pricey compared to similar products from other brands. You may opt for less popular brands but still ensure the quality by considering the warranties of the product and researching customer reviews of such products.
Colors and Designs
Baby safety helmets come in a variety of colors, prints, and designs for you to choose from. In buying, choose what your child likes best, so he or she will be encouraged to wear it. If possible, let him choose the design and the color of his or her preference. Light colors will be attractive for babies and toddlers. But if you want something that won’t quickly become dirty, you may opt for a darker one.
Best Baby Safety Helmets
1. KeepCare Baby Safety Helmet
KeepCare introduces their baby safety helmet, which is the mother’s first choice to protect the baby’s head. This safety helmet is perfect for your baby’s head, who is learning to walk, crawl, and play. KeepCare ensures that these are inspected and made by experts to ensure the safety and comfort of your child. You can now breathe at ease and work peacefully, knowing that your child is protected in every possible way.
- The helmet has a pure nylon adjuster that guards around the baby’s head to avoid 95% of injuries and bruises.
- It is made from insulated, breathable cotton and IXPE Foam filling to ensure the safety of the baby’s fragile and sensitive skin.
- The lightweight feature makes it be easily adopted and used by almost 90% of the babies for hours.
- The soft material ensures that there is proper ventilation to avoid sweating.
- The lightweight padding foam has maximum shock absorb capacity.
- The size can be easily adjusted up to 43 cm to 56 cm head circumference.
- It can be used as early as eight months up to sixty months.
- It comes with a stylish design and is available in a variety of different colors to choose from.
- The safety helmet comes with cotton and 3D air mesh fabric for no sweat formula.
- A bit pricey compared to other brands and models.
2. Okbaby No Shock Protective Soft Baby Helmet
Okbaby builds amazing products for babies while keeping safety and quality at the highest levels. It offers this protective shock helmet after observing the challenges faced by most parents by the time their babies are able to walk, crawl, or play indoors and outdoors. This helmet allows unsteady toddlers to move freely and learn without getting his head hurt by preventing shock and impact.
- The safety helmet has a shock-resistant hat-style that protects your baby’s head from bumps and falls.
- It is made from shock-absorbent reticulated polyolefin foam with a soft sanitized interior surface to avoid mold and bacteria formation.
- The product has chafing-resistant 100% polyester outer.
- It can be easily adjusted with its chin strap for added comfort.
- This is designed and manufactured in Italy to ensure high quality.
- The Microplast Velcro fastener is delicate on the skin for adjustment around the head, forehead-neck, and temples.
- The visor of the helmet adds further protection for the nasal septum.
- This is suitable for 8-20 months with 44/52 size approximate.
- The helmet neck strap is adjustable to fit and can resist pulling up to 10kg in force.
- This product is comfortable and easy to put on.
- High cost compared to other similar brands.
3. Liltoes Baby Safety Helmet with Kneepad –
Fun playtime is so important for a child’s growth but using safety measures to avoid any mishaps is more important. Liltoes helmet and knee pad will protect your kid. Have uninterrupted adventures with your little one by immediately getting yourself this pair of helmets and kneepads.
- The linings of both helmet and kneepads are both made with cotton.
- It has an adjustable head circumference of 43 to 56 cm.
- Kids aged eight months to 5 years can use this safety gear.
- It is very lightweight, weighing around 65 grams.
- This helmet is ideal to avoid and mitigate damage to a child’s head.
- The special IXPE can absorb shock on collision with corners or ground.
- It functions best as protection during crawling, walking, playing etc., to avoid bumps on the head.
- The helmet has good ventilation so that it doesn’t sweat the baby.
- The colour dye may fade over time.
4. Biaba Adjustable Baby Safety Helmet –
Biaba believes that babies are very delicate and need to be protected even from small injuries. And for this reason, Biaba created something that would keep your baby safe. It offers their safety helmet head protector head guard that is designed to provide your baby with safer and more comfortable learning and playing experience.
- The product has an adjustable magic stick making it easy to wear and adjustable freely.
- It is soft and removable inside to prevent irritation to the baby’s skin.
- The ultra-lightweight feature is made for added comfort.
- This product is breathable to prevent sweat formation.
- With its available colors, your baby will surely look good on it.
- This product can be used for babies aged eight months up to sixty months.
- It protects not just the crown but even the forehead.
- Cushioning is excellent and flexible.
- The cute cartoon design makes it more attractive for babies.
- There is a gap between bridge edges, which could cause the baby to get hurt.
5. Syga Helmet Head Protector –
With Syga’s motto “Customer Happiness & Satisfaction, it ensures to offer a wide range for premium products in India in various categories such as Baby Care. It is an adorable brand that brings new memorable experiences to your baby while it provides protection and comfort to your little ones. Syga offers you the Helmet Head Protector, which will give you the ease to do other work without worrying too much about the safety of your child from any injuries.
- It has an adjustable design that can fit a head circumference of 17.5? -22.5?.
- The fill-in layer material is made from a high-quality sponge that is high density and elastic.
- The sponge material is lightweight to make your baby feel comfortable.
- The outer layer material is made from cotton with a high sweat absorption making it breathable.
- The bumper is anti-knock, anti-friction, reduces shock, cushioning effect, thus reducing baby’s head injuries.
- This product is easy-to-clean.
- The material used is 65% cotton and 35% polyester.
- This helmet has a lengthened and widened hook and loop design that is easy to adjust.
- This safety helmet comes with an anti-collision strip design to ensure air flow freely.
- It can be used as early as six months up to 5 years of age.
- The product has good and genuine quality with the workmanship.
- A bit expensive compared to others.
6. Mimisku Baby Safety Helmet –
Mimisku is a brand that specializes in affordable chic nursing wear and accessories as well as baby and infant essentials. They ensure to help you avoid or mitigate damage to your baby’s head upon collision. You will be sure that your baby will enjoy every first experience as they learn to walk, crawl, or stand without worrying too much about their safety.
- This product can be easily adjusted with its head circumference of 43 cm to 56 cm.
- It comes with very soft materials to provide comfort to your baby.
- Its lightweight feature of 65g makes it easier for the baby to wear it for a long time.
- The product comes with an excellent shock-absorbing capacity for better protection.
- This safety helmet prevents sweat formation through its proper air ventilation.
- This product from Mimisku has a foam filling of special IXPE to maximize the shock-absorbing capability.
- The facing and lining are made from 100% cotton that is for the sensitive skin of babies.
- This product is suitable for ages nine months to sixty months.
- The safety helmet comes with a variety of designs and prints that you can choose from.
- The Velcro fastener is designed to avoid chin irritation.
- The color runs slowly, which could be dangerous if the baby starts licking the strap.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are there any side effects of wearing a helmet?
There may be some issues such as discomfort, skin irritation, bad odor, and the like, if you did not choose the right helmet and if it is not worn correctly and adequately. However, if worn properly, children will be able to adapt to it easily through time. It acts as a security gear for the baby and should have little to no side effects.
2. How long do babies need to wear a helmet?
This depends on every circumstance and age of the baby. In the case of helmet therapy, you need to consult an expert professional for a recommendation based on the child’s progress every visit if there are any signs of progress in his or her case.
As for normal cases, it can be worn as early as eight months up to sixty months. As soon as your baby is able to stand, walk, or crawl independently and with confidence, you can opt to stop using a safety helmet.
3. Does wearing a safety helmet guarantees protection for babies/toddlers?
Safety helmets have limits. There may be no 100% guaranty; however, it makes a relevant difference in reducing or preventing injuries or accidents from any impact or bumps. As long as the proper and correct helmet is selected, there should be no problem.
4. Is it necessary to let a baby who is learning to walk wear a safety helmet?
Although some parents opt not to use a safety helmet, some parents still choose to use it, especially for those in their age of learning to walk or stand on their own. These safety helmets are specifically designed to absorb the impact in case they bump their head on a solid surface. Since babies or toddlers have undeveloped muscles to support their weight, protective gear such as a helmet would be very beneficial.
5. What is the difference between a safety helmet and a bike helmet for children?
A safety helmet may look like a bike helmet, but there is a difference. A safety helmet is made of soft and spongy materials. It is to make sure that the baby’s head is protected from bumps and bruises and prevent any injury when the baby accidentally comes into contact with scratched furniture or surfaces. Most of these helmets have large air vents to prevent overheating, thus avoiding sweat from occurring.
On the contrary, bike helmets have a hard and rigid outer layer and made from more sturdy materials to prevent a child’s head from any high collision and fall while biking. These helmets are not best to be used indoors.
6. How to prevent head bumps and injuries as much as possible?
- Even wearing a safety helmet, you can still follow some tips to prevent any head bumps.
- Install baby gates or rails on the top and bottom of your stairs to prevent any fall.
- Put non-skid rugs on the bathroom floor and near it to avoid baby from sliding.
- Keep away all things that are dangerous to climb.
- Supervise your babies all the time.
- Install carpets or soft mats with rough surfaces to avoid tripping.
7. What is the best age to wear a baby safety helmet?
Most baby safety helmets can be used as early as six months up to sixty months. If you want to be certain, you may consult your pediatrician or orthotics if you want to be sure.
Safety helmets may not be suitable for all babies. Some find it comfortable; however, there are those who think otherwise. But, in certain circumstances, these can be very useful.
The above-listed factors will let you understand some essential features when looking for the best safety baby helmet that works for you. However, you must also take note of the fact that you should not be overconfident in using the safety helmet. Make sure that you always supervise your child even if they are wearing safety helmets. The choice is still left to your discretion. The bottom line is you will decide on what’s best for your baby.