Top 6 Hand Sanitizers
How many times were you out and about, and you needed to hand wash, but there was no water to wash your hand? To tackle such a situation, hand sanitizer came into existence. Hand sanitizers are in gel or liquid form, which are generally used to decrease infectious agents on the hands.
It is made using ingredients that are helpful in killing microorganisms, and they are better tolerated than soap and water. It also prevents contamination following the use of certain areas such as toilets, public transport, staircase handle, and more. Sanitizers come in different forms, such as gels, liquid, and foams.
The sanitizer has been in use since the 1980s, and they have been the most effective and safe medicines needed in the health care system today. Make use of sanitizers which requires you first to apply it to your palms, and then rub your hands together to allow it spread to all areas.
You can rub the hand sanitizer containing alcohol over all the surfaces of your hands and finger until your hands are dry to allow it to work effectively on your hands.
Here we have reviewed Top hand sanitizers, and along with it we have provided information such as Types of sanitizer, When should you wash your hand?, How to wash your hands? its effectiveness, a comprehensive buyers guide, and a few FAQ.
6 Best Hand Sanitizers in India
When should you wash your hands?
The recent outbreak of Coronavirus throughout the world has claimed the lives of thousands. The pandemic, as announced by WHO, has prompted us to clean our hands regularly with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer or wash them using soap and water.
It is essential that you wash your hands often to remain germ and virus-free. You are advised to wash your hands before, after, and during the preparation of food. Also, ensure that you wash your hands before eating food and after returning home.
Always remember to wash your hands:
- After returning from outdoors.
- After coughing, sneezing, or blowing the nose.
- After using the toilet.
- After playing with animals.
- After caring for someone who is sick.
- Before and after treating a wound.
How to wash your hands?
It is important to follow these steps to wash your hands:
- Wet your hands using clean and running water.
- Turn off the tap and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Ensure that you lather the back of your hands, under the nails, and in between your fingers.
- Scrub your hand continuously for twenty seconds. You can hum the “happy birthday” song from the beginning to the end twice. It works well as a twenty-second timer.
- Rinse your hands under clean water.
- Air dry your hands or dry them using a clean towel.
Effectiveness of the sanitizer
The quantity of sanitizer you use will determine how to effect it will be. Using a small amount of sanitizer will reduce the effectiveness of the sanitizer on your hands.
The sanitizer is unable to cover a specific region of the hands. Therefore, making it ineffective because germs and infections are still able to grow within those areas.
To ensure its effectiveness make sure you use an adequate amount of sanitizer. Also, make sure the sanitizer bottle is not too big it should be of proper travel size bottle.
The usage of the sanitizer will determine how effective it will be on you. If the sanitizer is frequently used, it helps to reduce contamination. But anything too much can damage the skin so use it when its necessary like while traveling and before eating.
Duration of exposure
The period at which the sanitizer is exposed to will determine the effectiveness of it. If the sanitizer is not exposed for a long while, the effect on the germs may be less. But, if the sanitizer is left for a while, it will make it very effective on your skin.
Method of application
The method of application also determines how effective the sanitizer will be. Adequate rubbing of the sanitizer over your finger for certain minutes can effectively reduce the population of fungi, bacteria, and some enveloped viruses.
Inadequate rubbing or wrong method of application can increase the population of germs, which will lead to infections and sicknesses.
Types of Sanitizers
Alcohol sanitizers are sanitizers that contain between 60 – 95 percent alcohol. They come usually in the form of isopropanol or propanol, and ethanol.
The alcohol immediately takes away the natural qualities and effectively neutralizing certain types of microorganisms. They provide better skin tolerance compared to antiseptic soaps.
Alcohol sanitizers can also be used as a surgical disinfectant to remove germs when they are applied effectively.
Non-alcohol sanitizers are sanitizers that make use of agents other than alcohol to kill microorganisms. They are based on disinfectants like benzalkonium chloride and triclosan.
The activity of antimicrobial and disinfectants are both immediate and persistent when the sanitizer is used. They also come with emollients that ensure the soothing and thickening of the skin, and a pleasant fragrance to make the hand smell nice.
Safe for you and your family
Ensure to use a sanitizer that’s safe for you and your family. Sanitizers are developed with quality ingredients to protect you from germs causing infections.
Try to stay away from sanitizer that comes with harmful chemicals because they can cause a lot of discomfort and also expose your family to diseases.
So, choose the best sanitizer with the proper chemical composition that is good for you and your family.
Most hand sanitizer comes with unique formula composition to give you an effective result. There are various skin types like oily, dry, and more, so it’s nice to choose the sanitizer that works perfectly on your skin without irritating.
Skin irritation can be displeasing and discomforting. Therefore, make sure that these are taken into consideration before selecting the best fit.
It is essential to consider the type of ingredients used in the sanitizer. When you know the kind of skin you have, you can choose the one that’s good for it. This will effectively prevent you from germs causing infections.
You can check out the type of ingredients that are a threat to your skin. To know those chemicals that will harm you after usage, you can check the user’s review or product description on the chemical used and cross-check it with the list of harmful substances online.
So, choose a sanitizer with a suitable ingredient that will make your hand feel fresh, soft, and smelling nice after usage. Also, make sure they can protect from a skin infection.
Value for your money
Some hand wash is cheap, which helps to reduce the money you will spend on purchasing them. While some hand wash is quite expensive and also bring good value for your money.
Some hand wash could be costly for you to afford, and some cheap hand wash could be harmful to your skin. Therefore, buy the hand wash you can afford and also bring good value for your money.
Type of sanitizer
There are different types of sanitizers, which include ones with a higher composition of alcohol and those without alcohol. Both types of sanitizers are suitable for the prevention of germs, causing illness. But you can decide which is preferable.
If you feel the alcoholic ones are the right choice for you, then you can acquire it. If you like the non-alcoholic ones, that will also be nice. Therefore, ensure to choose the sanitizer that good for you.
Top 6 Best Sanitizers
1. Dettol Instant Hand Sanitizer
Dettol is the most trusted brand when it comes to personal hygiene. This product protects you from germs causing illness; it comes with a classic Dettol fragrance that makes you feel refreshed all the time. With infections on the rise, our hands are the main transferor of most of these germs, causing illness.
This Dettol hand sanitizer can give you the safety and protection you need. It is easy to apply, and it guarantees maximum protection for your family. It kills 99.9% germs without water and is an Indian medical association certified company.
This product comes in an exciting two variants such as floral and spring fresh that gives you superb smelling hands. It rinses free and non-sticky and makes your hand clean and fresh.
The product comes with a moisturizer that doesn’t let your hand dry up quickly when it’s used and leaves them completely germ-free.
You can use it after using a means of public transport, eating outside, medical care, driving, public toilets, and workplaces. This Dettol hand sanitizer can be used anytime without a hassle.
- It’s safe for all skin types and it does not dry the skin
- The bottles are convenient to carry.
- It comes with a trusted germ formula.
- It delivers superb cleaning, leaving your hands clean, soft with a pleasant fragrance.
- It is easy to use and affordable.
- It is suitable for home and office use.
- The plastic cap could get damaged if it’s not handled correctly.
2. Himalaya PureHands Hand Sanitizer
This hand sanitizer by Himalaya is alcohol-based and contains time tested herbs that provide maximum protection when it’s used. You don’t have to use this sanitizer with soap. It kills 99.9% of germs without using soap or water, and it keeps you and your family protected anytime and anywhere.
When there is no access to the water and soap, a sanitizer acts as a savior and protects you from germs and spreading of the infection
The product delivers total hand hygiene when you’re at work and at home. It also makes your home germ-free. This product provides maximum hand hygiene on the go.
Himalaya Pure hands are available in a variety of fragrances and sizes. It contains safe ingredients that soften the skin. It is enriched with lime that protects the skin from oxidative damage. It is hypoallergenic, hence there is no fear for any allergic reaction.
- It quickly dries leaving the hands soft.
- It is affordable
- It has a sweet lemon-fresh fragrance.
- It gives a friendly and comfortable feeling after use.
- It is suitable for all skin types
- The pump feature is easy to use.
- The fragrance doesn’t stay for long.
3. Dabur Sanitize Hand Sanitizer
Dabur India Ltd is India’s leading manufacturer of consumer products in various categories like health, skin, hair, home, and foods. Their products are based on Ayurvedic principles.
Dabur Sanitize hand sanitizer is a rinse-free product that kills 99.9% of germs. It is an Ayurvedic formulation that aims at keeping surfaces germ-free.
It gives you on-the-go protection against germs and infections. You can select from the three fragrances available – regular, lemon, and strawberry.
This is a non-sticky formula so you can use it easily at your home or workspace. It comes in a pump design that is easy to dispense without the spread of germs.
It contains 60% ethyl alcohol content. It eliminates the need to wash your hands with soap and water especially while outdoors.
Use this hand sanitizer when you are in a hurry or while you are outside. It can be used easily at any time anywhere.
- This hand sanitizer can work without water.
- It does not contain methanol.
- You only need 3ml of product to sanitize your hands.
- It is suitable for offices, hospitals, restaurants, etc.
- You just need to rub the sanitizer in your palms to remove germs.
- The fragrance is soothing yet mild.
- It is affordable.
- It does not dry the skin.
- There are no harmful chemicals in this sanitizer that will harm the skin.
- It is easy to use while on the go.
- No cons were observed so far.
4. Lifebuoy Lemon Fresh Hand Sanitizer
It helps to boost your immunity to keep fighting germs for ten hours, and it kills bacteria efficiently without the use of water. This product can be used anytime and anywhere, such as kitchen, toilet, before going for outings, and more.
It is easy to carry in your bag when going to a restaurant or some street food arena. The product keeps you safe from contaminated handles, currency notes, and other surfaces where germs dwell.
Your children have kept bacteria-free when they use it in school. Lifebuoy comes with a lemon fragrance that keeps your hands great and smelling fresh.
- It has a lemon fragrance, which is very refreshing.
- The product makes your hands feel fresh, clean, and germs-free after use.
- It is easy to apply and store.
- It comes with premium ingredients.
- It can be used anywhere and anytime.
- It is economical to purchase.
- It reduces and prevents the risk of having infections.
- It gives a slightly sticky feeling after it’s used.
5. Sterillium hand sanitizer
Sterillum is a widely used sanitizer in hospitals and the medical industry. It is one of the best products and is effective against bacteria and killing microorganisms, and it provides an excellent residual effect.
This hand sanitizer gives excellent skin tolerability even with long term use. It is reliable, friendly, and comes with a superb antimicrobial activity.
The product is active against bacteria, and viruses, which tend to spread via hand contact Sterillium hand wash provides an excellent immediate effect and makes your hand feel great after it’s used. It also helps to increase your skin’s hydration.
- It gives a fresh feel on the skin.
- Its effect stays for up to 6 hours
- It is ready to use rub-in product that cleans the hands efficiently.
- It is affordable.
- It comes with a mild fragrance.
- It is suitable for all skin types
- The product gives an excellent and immediate effect and is reliable, long-lasting antimicrobial activity
- It also provides hydration to the skin after regular use
- No negative points were observed so far
6. Savlon Hand Sanitizer Spray
Savlon hand sanitizer provides adequate protection against germs such as bacteria, mold, and viruses. It kills a million germs on the go when it’s used. It keeps you safe and protected all day long.
Savlon sanitizer spray is convenient to carry around and fun to use. Each bottle is good for 100+ sprays, which make it long-lasting, and each of the pens comes with a quantity of 9ml.
Savlon comes with excellent antimicrobial action, and it is tested and proven to be effective.
- It’s easy to apply to your hands.
- It is perfect for any skin.
- It cleanses all dirt and grime efficiently.
- It comes with a lovely fragrance.
- Good for kids and adults.
- The quality of the design is right; there’s no danger of leaking.
- It is helpful in keeping the hands fresh, cleansed, and germs-free.
- No negative points were observed so far
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the most effective hand sanitizer?
The hand sanitizer containing at least 70% of alcohol is the most effective hand sanitizer. It should not have any harmful chemicals that will cause a reaction to your skin.
2. How often should you apply hand sanitizer?
Using sanitizer every 10 mins will make your skin dry and itchy. A thumb rule of using sanitizer is to use it once in an hour or so. If your job requires you to sanitize your hand often, you can do it.
3. Can I use the hand sanitizers daily or once a while?
Yes, you can use it daily to wash your hands.
4. Do they all come with beautiful fragrance?
Well, most sanitizers come with lovely fragrance to make your hands smell nice. Those without fragrance also help to prevent germs, but they don’t have a pleasant aroma.
Sanitizer helps to prevent infections. The proper use of sanitizer can prevent the spread of diseases and illnesses. You should choose the best sanitizer for your hands for efficiency and comfort. Also, placing the sanitizer where they are most convenient will deliver comfortable use.
Therefore, choose the best sanitizer and have the best protection against germs and lovely experience when it’s in use.