6 Best Electric Toothbrushes
Maintaining good oral hygiene is essential in keeping your overall health. Hence, it is necessary to take good care of your teeth and gums, to prevent cavities and tartar build-up. It is always advised to brush your teeth regularly, at least twice a day.
Manual toothbrushes are often used for this purpose. However, it has been clinically proved that electric toothbrushes are more effective in the removal of plaque and tartar build-up. They improve your oral health by preventing cavities and gum diseases.
Electric toothbrushes, these days are usually powered by a rechargeable battery. The motor in the brush causes the bristles to automatically, rotate and oscillate back and forth for cleaning the teeth. The vibrations and the multi-directional movements help you clean even the hard to reach areas.
There are different types of electric toothbrushes available, which we shall discuss in the following section of this article. We also mention the benefits of using an electric toothbrush and different types. This is followed by a comprehensive buyer’s guide along with the 6 best electric toothbrushes. We also provide an FAQ section towards the end of this article to help you know more about this product.
6 Best Electric Toothbrushes
Best Cleaning Modes
Best Rechargeable Toothbrush
With UV Sanitizer
Best Charcoal Infused Toothbrush
Long Battery Life
Benefits of Using an Electric Toothbrush
An electric toothbrush is considered to be 100% better in the removal of plaque when compared to a manual toothbrush. They might be a bit more expensive than a manual toothbrush. However, there are several benefits associated with the use of an electric toothbrush. Let us take a look at some of these benefits:
Superior Cleaning of Teeth
An electric toothbrush has bristles that vibrate, rotates and oscillates around your teeth and gums. The bristles are capable of cleaning even the hardest to reach areas. As a result, it is much more efficient in the removal of plaque and tartar build-up. The electric toothbrush ensures superior cleaning of your teeth and gums.
Easy to Use
The electric toothbrush works automatically. You will just have to switch it on, hold it in position and it will do all the work for you.
Moreover, these toothbrushes come with a smart timer to ensure that you brush your teeth for the right amount of time. There are breaks or intervals of 30 seconds, encouraging the dentists recommended brushing habits.
Removes Bad Breath
It manages to clean the hardest to reach areas. Toothbrushes which also come with tongue cleaners to remove odor-causing bacteria. While the others have charcoal infused bristles, that has an anti-bacterial effect. Hence, it removes bad breath.
The electric toothbrush may be costly. However, it lasts longer than a manual toothbrush. You can use an electric toothbrush for 2-3 years, provided you replace the brush heads every after 4-6 months.
Helps You Brush With The Right Intensity
We often tend to brush our teeth too hard. This might lead to bleeding and receding gums. Brushing too hard may also remove teeth enamel. The electric toothbrush allows you to choose the right intensity level while brushing, preventing you from brushing too hard.
Types of Electric Toothbrush
The types of an electric toothbrush, classified according to the frequency of their vibrations are:
Sonic toothbrushes are a type of electric toothbrush that relies on sweeping motion, to clean teeth. They produce fast movements that produce vibrations within the audible range.
Most of these toothbrushes have a frequency range of 200-400 Hz, which means they provide 24,000-48,000 changes per minute. These movements are usually high in amplitude. Hence, the length of the sweeping motion is large, to clean teeth effectively.
This type of toothbrush uses ultrasonic waves to clean teeth. The minimum frequency of this toothbrush has to be 20,000 Hz. It produces 2,400,000 movements per minute for the efficient cleaning of teeth.
The vibrations produced by ultrasonic toothbrushes are high in frequency but low in the amplitude. They remove plaque from teeth by breaking down the chains of bacteria.
An electric toothbrush that comes with a 2D cleaning action ensures rotation and oscillatory movements of the bristles. While in a 3D cleaning action brush, the bristles pulsate along with the rotation and oscillation. These movements of the bristles, clean even the hardest to reach areas around your gum and teeth. Hence, you will get superior cleaner teeth.
While choosing a suitable electric toothbrush, it is important to check its handle type. Go for a toothbrush that comes with an anti-slip long handle. It will provide you with a firm grip so that you can brush your teeth in ease and comfort. Moreover, the handle should also be slim and light-weight.
There are three types of bristles: soft, medium, and hard. Choose a bristle that is suitable for your gums and teeth. A crisscross or thin-tipped bristle type made using nylon is preferable, as it helps in cleaning even the hard to reach areas.
The bristles of your toothbrush should be gentle on your gums but firm in plaque removal. You can also opt for a charcoal-infused bristle as it prevents the growth of bacteria on the bristle head. It ensures an anti-bacterial effect.
Check the speed or rather the frequency of vibrations and movements produced by the toothbrush per minute. An ultra-sonic toothbrush has a higher speed than sonic vibrations. Both are effective in plaque removal and the enhanced cleaning of your teeth.
A toothbrush that features a pressure sensor will be an ideal purchase. We often tend to brush too hard, which might lead to a recession of gums and removal of teeth enamel. The pressure sensor will alert you when you brush too hard using sounds or illumination of light. The toothbrush will detect increase in pressure, and in turn, the motor will slow down.
Smart Timer With Quadpacer Interval
Most electric toothbrushes come with a smart timer of 2 minutes. Ensure that it also has a quad pacer interval of 30 seconds. The timer will encourage you to develop a dentist-recommended brushing habit. Moreover, the timer will allow you to brush for the required amount of time. After completion of the 2 minutes, it will automatically stop working.
The battery of the toothbrush should be rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. A single charge should be able to provide use twice a day, for an average of 2-3 weeks. Also, check for its voltage type. A worldwide voltage of 100-240 V will enable you to use it in any country.
A toothbrush on the expensive side will come with a charge indicator. This is another beneficial feature to look out for. These are LED indicators present on the handle of the toothbrush.
They help in notifying you about the percentage of charge left in the toothbrush. Hence, you will be able to know when the toothbrush requires charging.
Another factor you need to consider is the power source of the toothbrush. There are two types of toothbrushes on the basis of the power source: rechargeable and battery.
The rechargeable toothbrushes come with lithium-ion batteries which can be recharged when the charge reduces by plugging it into a power socket while the battery-powered toothbrushes require AA batteries.
If you are looking for a cost-efficient toothbrush, the battery-powered toothbrush is a suitable choice. However, a rechargeable toothbrush provides all the cleaning action and are much easier to use.
The most common cleaning modes of the toothbrush are: clean, whiten, massage, sensitive, and polish. Out of these five modes, the toothbrush should at least have the two most important modes, which are the clean and sensitive mode. You should also check if the toothbrush you wish to buy comes with adjustable intensity levels. This feature allows you to customize the cleaning as per your gum and teeth condition.
Know the cleaning method of the toothbrush head before you make a purchase. The different types of cleaning methods are: rotating, rotating oscillating, counter oscillating, dual head, and vibrating. The rotating head will rotate in only one direction while the rotating oscillating rotate in one direction and then moves to the other direction for effective cleaning.
Sonic and Ultrasonic toothbrushes are said to have vibrating heads. The heads vibrate with high frequencies and are often combined with 2 D or 3 D cleaning actions, which include the rotation oscillation or counter oscillating cleaning method.
You can go for a rounded toothbrush head, for gentle yet effective cleaning of your teeth and gums. Ensure that the head is replaceable so that you can change the head every after 4-5 months, as recommended by the dentist.
A brush head that comes with a tongue and tongue cleaner is an added benefit. The tongue cleaner manages to remove the odor-causing germs from the mouth.
1. Oral B Cross Action Toothbrush – Our Pick
The Oral B Cross Action Toothbrush is a battery-powered toothbrush that comes with dual cleaning action. The rotating powerhead rotates and vibrates to loosen and remove the plaque from your teeth and gum line.
The toothbrush features rounded crisscross bristles that work in multi-angled, opposing directions. The bristles manage to reach in between your teeth for sweeping away the plaque.
- This is a battery-powered toothbrush.
- Comes with a rotating powerhead.
- It has crisscross bristles that work in multi-angles and opposing directions to brush even the hard to reach areas.
- The toothbrush features a soft rubberized grip handle.
- The powerhead loosens and removes plaque from the surface of the teeth and gum line.
- The handle ensures a comfortable and soft grip for easy control of the toothbrush.
- It can whisk out plaque from in between the teeth.
- Makes noise.
- The bristles are quite hard.
2. Fairywill Electric Toothbrush – Best Cleaning Modes
The Fairywill Electric brush comes with tooth-waved bristles for the thorough cleaning of gums and teeth. It has a speed of 40,000 strokes per minute, ensuring powerful cleaning. Moreover, the five different modes suit the needs of different gums and teeth conditions.
The toothbrush has good battery life. A charge of 4 hours can easily provide a minimum use of 30 days. Hence, you can easily carry it during trips without any charger or USB cable. It also has a 2 minutes timer with 30 seconds interval, to encourage a proper brushing habit that is recommended by dentists.
- Includes the handle, three replaceable sonic toothbrush heads, an inter-dental head, protective bristle cover, and a charging cable.
- The brush ensures 40,000 strokes per minute for powerful cleaning.
- It has tooth-waved bristles, made of Dupont nylon.
- Has a rounded bristle top for safe and gentle use.
- Features 5 optional modes: white, clean, polish, massage and sensitive.
- The two minutes smart timer comes with a 30 seconds interval pause, the encouraging dentist-recommended brushing habits.
- It has five years of life design and a warranty of 1 year.
- It has a long battery life.
- Designed to suit different conditions of gum and teeth.
- The anti-slip handle provides a firm grip to the user.
- The waterproof design enables you to use in the shower.
- It is said to improve oral and gum health in 14 days along with clean and healthy teeth in 7 days.
- Quality of the brush could be better.
3. Oral B Vitality Cross Action Toothbrush – Best Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B is the number one brand used by dentists worldwide. The Oral B toothbrush features a 2 D cleaning action. The crisscross bristles oscillate and rotate at an angle of 16 degrees to provide clinically proven superior clean teeth. It manages to remove 100% plaque from the teeth. This toothbrush also comes with a 2-minute timer, to help you brush for the right amount of time.
- Comes with a handle, a charging station, and a toothbrush head.
- Features a professional timer of 2 minutes.
- Has a round brush head.
- 2 D cleaning action, including oscillation and rotation.
- The powered criss-cross bristles surround each tooth at an angle of 16 degrees.
- Removes plaque 100% better than a normal brush.
- The dynamic movement ensures enhanced results.
- The timer allows you to know if you have brushed for the right amount of time.
- Good battery life.
- No light indicator that shows if the toothbrush is charging.
4. OralScape Sonicwhite Toothbrush – With UV Sanitizer
This is a sonic electric toothbrush that comes with three replacement brush heads. The four different modes of the brush ensure customized cleaning to meet your daily requirements. It is designed to be waterproof so that you can easily use it in the shower. Moreover, it has a good battery life with a worldwide voltage.
However, the feature which makes this OralScape toothbrush stand out is the UV sanitizer. It keeps the toothbrush germ free and untouched by effectively killing 99.9% of the germs.
- Comes with three color-coded replacement brush heads.
- Features four different modes: clean, soft, whiten, and massage for customized cleaning.
- The 2-minute timer comes with a 30-minute interval for encouraging dentist-recommended brushing habit.
- Sterilized with UV light.
- The toothbrush is waterproof.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty.
- The worldwide voltage of 100-240 V makes it suitable for use in any country.
- UV sanitizer kills 99.9% germs and keeps the brush germ free.
- The cleaning can be customized as per your daily needs.
- It is expensive.
5. Colgate PROCLINICAL Toothbrush – Best Charcoal Infused Toothbrush
Colgate is an umbrella brand that deals with the manufacture of oral hygienic products, including- toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, and mouth wash. The Colgate electric toothbrush uses sonic vibrations for the multi-directional, effective cleaning of your teeth.
The brush features a long handle, designed to be slim and light-weight. While the thin and soft bristles are infused with charcoal for an anti-bacterial effect. The design of the brush enables you to clean and brush your teeth with ease and comfort. Moreover, the replaceable brush head of the brush features a tongue and cheek cleaner to remove odor-causing bacteria.
- The sonic vibrations provide more than 20,000 strokes per minute.
- Has thin-tipped and soft bristles.
- Comes with a replaceable brush head which ensures multi-directional cleaning.
- The bristles are infused with charcoal, for an anti-bacterial effect.
- The handle is slim and light-weight.
- The brush head includes a cheek and tongue cleaner to remove the odor-causing bacteria.
- Has a 2-minute timer setting.
- Easy and comfortable to use.
- The brush is designed to be gentle on your gums but tough on plaque.
- It can easily clean between your teeth and the hard to reach areas.
- It does not rotate, only vibrates.
6. Philips Sonicare Toothbrush – Long Battery Life
The Philips Sonicare Electric Toothbrush comes with two cleaning modes, namely- clean and white mode. It also comes with three intensity settings, allowing you to adjust the intensity of the cleaning action as per your gum and teeth condition. Moreover, the toothbrush uses a patented sonic technology for dynamic and effective cleaning of your teeth by driving mouth fluids, including saliva, water, and toothpaste, in between them.
This toothbrush will effectively improve gums in two weeks and prevents diseases. It also has long battery life.
- Comes with two brushing modes: clean and white.
- It has three intensity settings.
- It comes with diamond-shaped bristles on the Diamond Clean brush head.
- Comes with a 2-minute quad pacer interval timer, to ensure a dentist-recommended brushing habit.
- A single charge gives three weeks of usage.
- Uses a patented sonic technology for an enhanced dynamic cleaning action that drives fluid between the teeth.
- Removes up to 7 times more plaque from the hard to reach areas.
- Ensures whiter teeth in just a week.
- It is clinically proven to improve gum health.
- Ensures consistent cleaning throughout your mouth.
- This toothbrush is expensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long do electric toothbrushes last?
The average life-span of an electric toothbrush is 3-5 years. However, this depends on the brand and the proper maintenance of the toothbrush. It is advised that you change the toothbrush head after every 4-5 months, as recommended by the dentist.
2. How do sonic toothbrushes work?
Sonic toothbrushes work by rotating and oscillating back and forth your teeth and gums. They brush the surface of your teeth at high speed. This is how they manage to remove plaque and tartar build-up effectively.
3. Are Sonic toothbrushes better?
Sonic toothbrushes are superior when compared to any other toothbrush — they clean teeth with large sweeping motions. As a result, it can remove plaque and tartar build-up more effectively.
Moreover, the vibrations create energy and motion. While the mouth fluids, including water, saliva and toothpaste act as powering agents to clean areas around the teeth and gum which are hard to reach. It is also said to ensure longer brushing time.
4. What is the difference between sonic and ultra-sonic toothbrushes?
A sonic toothbrush produces vibrations in frequencies within the audible range. They have large amplitude, and hence, the sweeping motion of the brush is large.
On the other hand, ultra-sonic toothbrushes produce vibrations in high frequencies, beyond human hearing. Moreover, they have a low amplitude.
5. What are the types of an electric toothbrush, based on their type of action?
The types of electric toothbrushes, classified based on their type of action are:
- Counter Oscillation– The adjacent tufts of the bristles rotate in one direction and then rotates on the other side.
- Side to side vibration– The movement of the brush head is lateral.
- Rotation Oscillation– The brush head rotates in one direction and then rotates in the other direction.
- Circular- The brush head rotates only in one direction.
- Ionic – It uses electric charge for removing the attached dental plaque from the surface of the teeth.
6. Which toothbrush is good? Manual or electric?
Both electric and manual toothbrushes are capable of cleaning teeth and removing plaque effectively. You must brush regularly for a sufficient duration of time, using the proper dentist-recommended technique.
However, an electric toothbrush is more effective and efficient in cleaning teeth and gum line. It makes the task of brushing more convenient, for the better removal of plaque and tartar build-up.
7. Do we need to put toothpaste on electric toothbrushes?
Yes, you need to put toothpaste on the electric toothbrush.
8. Can we pour water on electric toothbrushes?
You can pour water on an electric toothbrush, provided it is waterproof. A waterproof electric toothbrush can also be used in the shower.
9. Do electric toothbrushes whiten teeth?
Electric toothbrushes are capable of removing stains. Hence, your teeth may appear whiter. However, it cannot make your teeth white, in the way professional bleaching does.
With this, we come to the end of this article. The comprehensive buyer’s guide explains all the essential factors which you should consider before making a purchase. We have also reviewed the top 6 electric toothbrushes available on the leading e-commerce website, namely- amazon.
You can go for our number one choice, namely- Oral B Cross Action Battery Powered Toothbrush. The Fairywill Electric Toothbrush is also a very good option, especially because of its five cleaning modes. If you are in search of a budget-friendly option, you can go for the Oral B Vitality Cross Action Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush. We hope that this article helps you in making the right buy.