Best Wire Cutter
If you are a person of DIY, there are some tools which are a must to complete all those tasks by yourself. Apart from that, looking at the professional front, all those people who are working as electricians, technicians, and repairers, they need to have certain kind of tools available with them to ease their job and produce fast outcomes.
One such tool which is very important in case of electrical damages repair or any other electronic device malfunction is a Wire Cutter. It is the most versatile tool which is used by craftsman and technicians during the repairing of a particular item.
As we all know, in the electrical and electronic industry, wires play an integral part in being the backbone of these industries. For a system to work, wires are necessary. In those cases in which the wires need to be replaced or exchanged with a new, it is not technically feasible that you use your hands to cut and separate it.
With such tools, you easily grasp, hold, bend, separate and cut wires. These wire cutters can also be used to pull out nails from the solid ground if it is necessary. So overall if you see, wire cutters are an unavoidable tool when it comes to repair and damage cases.
In this guide, you will know about the various uses of a wire cutter, things to avoid using a wire cutter, what are the various factors to consider before buying a wire cutter, Types of wire cutter, safety tips to consider and a list of 10 best wire cutter.
Top 10 Wire Cutter
Things to avoid while using a wire cutter?
- You should not use your wire cutters to cut any wires unless it is designed for that purpose or else, it will damage your tool.
- You should not expose the pliers and wire cutters to excessive heat.
- It is not advisable to bend stiff wires with light wire cutters such as needle-nose cutters. Some sturdy tools must be used instead.
- You should never use your wire cutters as hammers.
- If you have a small cutter, you shall not extend the length of the handle to gain leverage. Instead, it is advised that you should use a bigger cutter.
- While handling electrical components, it is not advised to use cutters with cushion handles. You are advised to use electrically insulated handle wire cutters only.
What are wire cutters used for?
A wire cutter is specifically intended to be used to cut wires or help you to peel off the insulation from the wire when you are trying to connect them with other wires.
They have to jaws which are intersected from between which can cut the wires at an angle. They are designed for use in electrical fixing, so they are provided along with electrical insulation as well.
While figuring out the uses of wire cutters, we must know that the two essential uses of wire cutters are stripping the wires and cutting the wires.
Wire Stripping is a process of removing the insulation from the wire to make contact. Most of us are dependent on the traditional methods of insulating those wires using your teeth which will only result in dental bills. If these wire cutters are placed on the outer coating of wires and just pulled off, you can easily strip those wires.
Wire Cutting is another process which is done with the help of these wire cutters. Cutters have an intersecting jaw that cuts the wire at an angle, leaving a narrow end which can be further used. These cutters are generally used to cut copper, brass, iron, aluminum, and steel wire.
The prime advantage of using a cutter which is insulated is to prevent yourself from getting shocked through the bare wire ends.
Some safety tips while using a wire cutter?
- If you are fixing something and if there is a potential hazard of any flying particles, it is safer to use goggles and protective glasses which help you prevent any damage to your eyes.
- You will get the maximum result if you are cutting the wire at right angles. Never rock your cutting tool from side to side or bend the wires back and forth while performing the cut.
- Choose a cutting tool which has a grip span of 6cm-9cm so that whenever you are cutting the wires, your palms and fingers do not get pinched when the tool is closed.
- While performing any fixing of electrical appliances, it is advisable that your cutting tool must have protective insulation to prevent yourself from electric shocks.
- Use a drop of oil at the hinges if you find the tool difficult to open and close.
- Make sure that the jaws are clean and sharp. If they are greasy at the jaws, you will find it difficult to cut the wires.
Types of Wire Cutter
With the emerging market, there are a lot of varieties and ranges of wire cutters available. As there are different types of wires available, so are the types of wire cutter.
There is hardly any profession or trade which does not use this tool. Jewelers, doctors, electricians, auto mechanics, florists, and even firefighters have been dependent on this tool for professional results.
It is a type of mini wire cutter which is efficient to cut wire of about 16 gauges (1.3mm).This makes it preferable to professions such as jewel shops and electronics.
It is not good that you have a spike in your wire if you are working in jewelry, florist or electronic shop. The best option would be using a cutter having reduced leverage. It helps you to cut the wire finely, without forcing it to break at the site of the cut before completing the cut.
The reduced bevels on the wire cutters mean that you have to apply less force for cutting those wires which prove to be helpful for those people who have to complete at least 100 cuttings a day.
The shear cutter is one of the best cutters present in the list which finely cuts all the wires without putting much pressure on it. One has to take great care by not putting too much pressure while cutting because it can eventually dull the blades after the cut is complete.
To prevent this, high-quality tools are fitted with adjustment screws that prevent the blade from touching each other after completing the cut. This should be one of the main features when you are looking for shear cutters.
The most commonly used type by the tradesmen all over the world is the diagonal cutter. It is also known by other names such as side-cutters, diagonal cutters, “dykes,” or even “diags.”
As the name suggests, it offers diagonal cuts. However, they usually leave a sharp spike on the wire after cutting it because of the jaws that force them to break instead of cutting them finely.
One should take care that these cutters should not be used while cutting nails, steel wire, fencing wire, screws, or anything harder than copper or aluminum wire because they can lead the cutter blades to be blunt and be useless.
Almost all the cutters are provided along with insulation on it to prevent the users from getting electric shocks while operating it. Special care must be taken to not confuse between the plastic or rubber coated handle with the proper insulation.
Most of them come along with soft grip which makes them easy to handle, but it does not offer protection from electrocution. It is recommended that you buy insulated cutters from a reputed brand which will offer safety during use.
Lineman’s Wire Cutters:
These are also known as combination cutters and is considered to be the workhorse of the family of tools. They can be specialized for cutting materials such as steel fencing wire, thick nails, or even steel screws with no trouble at all, thanks to the levering action of the long handles.
When you open the handles, it aligns the two groves, and when you close it, a shearing action is produced which cuts the wire.
Needle-Nose Wire Cutters:
The primary specialty about this cutter is its long jaw which can be used while you are bending and twisting the wire in switch-gear in electrical panels. If you use other cutters, there would not be enough space to insert those wires.
- Cable Size: The wire cutters should be chosen by considering the cable size which needs to be cut. Different cutters are designed for use for a specific size. Large cutters are not appropriate for cutting tiny sized cables and wires.
- Rubber Grip: While handling the wire cutters, it should not slip off from the hand while using it. When you are working continuously, it is evident that you can develop sweat on your hands. If the grip is not good, it gets slipping off from the hands too often and disturbs your job.
- Pressure Applied: A trait of a kind wire cutter is such that it cuts the wire easily without too much pressure applied on it. Look for a product which fulfills this need.
- Adjustment Screws: Some of the wire cutters need not want too much pressure to be applied to it while cutting. If you apply too much pressure, the blades come in contact with each other which can make them blunt. It is advisable that these cutters must have adjustment screws that prevent blades from coming in contact with each other.
- Excellent Cutting: Most of the cutters produce a spike while cutting the wires which is because the wires are forced to break off from the site before completing the cut. The wire cutter must produce fine cuts on the wires.
- Size: Handling a more significant sized wire cutter for a long time can cause pain on your hands. So, it is advisable that you should go for a smaller sized tool.
- Construction: The tool must be built in such a way that it does not harm the users. Usually, while using most of the tools, the pointed metal may harm you. So the construction of these tools should be in such a way that it does not cause you such harms.
- Usage: The wire cutters are designed to be used for cutting the wires correctly and even removing the insulation of the wires. A useful tool must serve these purposes fully.
- Insulation: Almost all the cutters are provided along with insulation on it to prevent the users from getting electric shocks while operating it. Special care must be taken to not confuse between the plastic or rubber coated handle with the proper insulation.
1. Visko Tools 239 Wire Cutter or Stripper
For all your DIY stuff and works, Visko Tools 239 6-inch Wire Cutter or Stripper is one of the best tools available for you. Its sharp cutting edges provide you with extra freedom of finishing all your jobs in no time.
The build quality of this product is excellent, and it can be used to cut any copper wires easily. There are other features and specifications of this product, let us have a look at those.
- The product is made up of high-grade steel which makes it a robust and sturdy tool to be used against any strong wires.
- The springs provided in the jaws of the cutter makes the movement of the cutter smooth, and you will take lesser effort to complete all your job.
- This tool can be used for cutting as well as stripping.
- This cutter can be used for cutting any metal wires as well as small branches of the trees
- The stripping feature prevents you from cutting off the inner core of the wire.
- The plastic grip which is provided on the handles lets you use the cutter quickly and comfortably.
- It can be operated easily by professionals as well as those people who wish to do their job on their own by not depending on any external laborers.
- The glue which is used to stick the grip is coming out after some time.
2. Taparia 1405 Side Cutting Mini Plier
All the wire cutters are not designed to be used against strong wires else it could damage them while using. Taparia 1405 Side Cutting Mini Plier is a strong and sturdy wire cutter and plier which is trustable to be used while cutting any hard wires without even damaging the tool.
The brand also provides nine different types of cutters – flat nose, round nose, long nose, side cutter, end cutter and bent nose, combination, long needle nose, long needle bent nose.
- The pliers are fully polished which makes it look good and elegant.
- The product is available in 5-inch (125mm) length and
- It is made up of high-grade steel which makes it sturdy and strong to be used.
- It has gone under multiple tests to be used under extreme heat conditions which makes it one of the excellent choices for the users.
- It comes along with twin-cloured cushion coating which gives a good grip while using it.
- One of the unique advantages of this product is that it is fitted with leaf spring between the shanks to facilitates smooth and ease in operation.
- It is easy to handle them because of their long handles.
- Even though they are strong, they are not that sharp to cut wires smoothly.
3. Taparia 1408 Long Needle Nose Mini Plier
The major specialty about a needle-nose plier is its long jaw which can be used while you are bending and twisting the wire in switch-gear in electrical panels.
If you use other cutters, there would not be enough space to insert those wires. Taparia 1408 Long Needle Nose Mini Plier is one such product which has long jaws which makes it efficient to bend any wires easily, even if they are small in size, you will not face any difficulties in doing so.
- The material with which the plier is made up of is high-grade steel which is drop forged. It has also gone through multiple tests to prove that it can withstand extreme heat environment.
- It has a magnetic shaft with it which provides smooth movement.
- The product is sturdy and strong which makes it easy to be used.
- Not only does this product helps you in bending and twisting the wires, but it can also remove, if there are small wood/metal splinters that get pinched into your skin, easily because of its long jaws.
- The nose of the plier is so accurate and precise that it can move finest of the materials which need to be removed.
- It also has plastic grips which come along it that makes it easy to handle.
- It has a magnetic shaft.
- Due to its needle nose, it cannot be used for any solid wires.
4. ENTICO Multitec 150b Wire Stripper & Cutter
Multitec 150b Wire Stripper & Cutter is specially designed for the purpose of cutting and stripping the wires in the range of 12-24 gauge which makes it a better versatile product.
The look and design of the product make it stand out from other products and makes it one of the excellent choices for the users. Let us look at the features and specifications of this tool.
- The tool is designed with high-grade quality steel, and apart from that, a Black Oxide finish has been provided to the product to make it anti-resistant. Even if you do not use it regularly, you will not find them getting rusted.
- A wire gauge screw in between the jaws holds stripping die in the proper place and also makes the movement efficient. You can also prevent the wire from getting nipped.
- It also comes along with an insulative cover that prevents electrical shocks.
- This product is one such that it can be used both for industrial as well as domestic purpose.
- The easy to use feature makes the tool a user-friendly one.
- The blades are sharp enough to cut any wires.
- The spring that is attached to the jaws allows easy movement of the jaws without applying much pressure on the handles.
- The locking mechanism is not that great.
5. EZ Life Self-Adjusting Automatic Cable Cutter Crimper
With its 5-in-1 multi-purpose feature as a wire stripper and a wire cutter, EZ Life Self-Adjusting Automatic Cable Cutter Crimper with 5 in 1 Multi-Tool Wire Stripping Cutting Pliers, 10-24 AWG, Large (Yellow) has been the best seller out of all these wire cutters listed.
The wire cutting tool is specially designed to be dealt with copper, cable, coaxial, thermal and aluminum wires. The wire stripping feature of this tool is so good that it is convenient, efficient and harmless to the cable core. Apart from that, there are other features of this product.
- The tool is designed to easily strip off wires as it comes along with adjustable jaws to strip off the wire from the range 10-24 AWG (0.2-6MM?Ã½).
- A copper swivel knob is also provided with this tool which gives accurate precision adjustment to the two machined jaws which makes it easy to be used with any cables.
- It is a 5-in-1 multi-purpose tool with cutter and crimper. It is easy to deal with any wire such as copper, cable, coaxial, thermal and aluminum wires without much efforts.
- The tool comes along with a long handle which increases the leverage of this product. Now using very fewer efforts and without applying too much pressure, you can easily operate this tool.
- It is also a good wire crimper
- It has precisely built machined teeth, which will grab, hold, pull and remove off the jacket of the wires in just a single-handed motion.
- The motion of the diagonal jaws is very smooth which makes it easy to complete all your tasks.
- The auto release feature does not work.
6. Stanley 84-475-22 Wire Stripper
Stanley 84-475-22 Wire Stripper with Cutting Edge, Yellow is designed as a wire stripper along with a cutting edge to be sued as a wire cutter as well.
With its insulation grip that is provided on the handles, it is safe to be operated while you are dealing with electrical appliances and prevent from any kinds of electric shocks. Let us have a look at the other features of this product.
- This product serves the purpose; it removes the insulation jacket of the wire without any efforts. The machined teeth jaws are designed in such a way that it does not need much pressure to remove them off.
- The diagonal jaws have a spring attached which facilitates the motion of the jaws and provide a smooth work.
- This product can be used for suppressing and line bending functions as well.
- It is a very good and sturdy product which can be used to strip off thick insulation jackets as well.
- It is pretty efficient while using because it does not cut off the inner core off the cables while dealing with the outer insulation.
- The super quality tool will work with electrical as well as electronic devices and is a must-have if you are an electronic hobbyist.
- It is not recommendable when you are dealing with thin wires.
7. Thermo Yamato Brand Heavy Duty Nipper
When you are operating circuit board, it is very difficult to cut and strip off the wires using a normal wire cutter because of their small sizes. You need to have a good tool which could be used for those small wires as well.
Thermo Yamato Brand Heavy Duty Nipper/Cutter -Made in Taiwan has a precise and sharp cutting edge which gives it an extra precision while dealing with thin wires.
- The product is a forged steel construction which is made up of high-quality grade alloy steel which makes it a robust and sturdy tool.
- It has been gone through multiple test 60 HRC on cutting edges to withstand excessive heat conditions.
- It is also made up of stainless steel material which prevents it from getting rusted.
- It is very easy to handle this tool because of its light-weight feature.
- It comes along with a sturdy grip which makes it very comfortable for using.
- It can also be used for jewelry making because it has been designed in such a way that it handles the job finely and precisely.
- The build quality of this product is very good. It fulfills its purpose.
- The cutter is not that sharp
8. Inditrust Cable Wire Insulation Stripper Cutter Tool
An all in one multi-purpose tool which can be used for cutting, stripping, holding and looping your wires, Inditrust Cable Wire Insulation Stripper Cutter Tool is one of the must-have tools at your homes. And also with those who want to get the electrical cables fixed in no time.
This wire applies to a wide variety of wire precision stripping which means that it is one of the most versatile tools available in the market. Let us have a look at all the features of this product.
- This product is made up of Carbon steel, electrophoresis which makes it one of the best-quality product.
- Apart from that, it is finished with black-oxide which makes it anti-rust. Now you need not have to worry about your tool getting rusted with usage.
- The hardness of the tool is approximately hrc48-53 which makes it a really strong option for all your electrical uses.
- The wire cutter is designed with the grinding blades which can be used as a sharp cutter and stripper. Whenever you want to cut your wires, the ends should come out to be smooth and finished without being pointed at the end. This feature is promised with this product.
- The high carbon tool steel gives it 3-times longer life with accurate stripping
- One of the most significant advantages of this tool is its light-weight feature. It is very easy to handle your tool while working without causing much stress to your hands.
- It comes along with a plastic grip which provides comfort while using it.
- The spring autoload feature in this product makes the movement of the wire cutter efficient and smooth.
- The black-oxide coating on this tool makes it anti-resistant.
- It does not have insulative protection, so it is not advisable to use it with live electrical circuits.
9. TECHTEST Professional Heavy Plastic and Steel Wire Stripper Cutter
While you are dealing with wire cutters, one of the major problems that a user faces is that, while stripping the wire, the metal part also is cut along with it which wastes the wire. The solution to your problem is fixed by TECHTEST Professional Heavy Plastic and Steel 8-Inch Wire Stripper Cutter Stripping Tool, Yellow.
It comes along with a Thumbwheel micro adjusting swivel knob to strip off the wires smaller than 24 AWG without even cutting the metal part. It also comes with adjustable jaws for using it with copper as well as aluminum wires. Let us have a look at all the other specifications of this product.
- The wire cutter is specially designed to deal with all the copper and aluminum wires in a size range of 10-24AWG (0.2-6MM2).
- The thumbwheel micro adjustable jaws that come along with it allows you to even strip off the wires without wasting the metal part of it.
- The grip handle is designed as plastic and cushion handle. The long handles give it more leverage which allows the cutters to be operated easily without causing much fatigue to your hands. It also makes the grip self-adjusting making the product user-friendly.
- The tool is made up of high-quality steel which makes it tough and sturdy to be used even while cutting any hard wires without bending or damaging your tool.
- It is a multi-purpose tool because it comes along with operations such as stripping, trimming, crimping — multiple functions in just one tool.
- It comes along with crimper crimps 22-10 AWG (0.5-6.0MM2) insulated terminals,12-10 AWG (4-6.0MM2) / 16-14 AWG (1.5-2.5MM2) / 22-18AWG (0.5-1.0MM2) non-insulated terminals and 7-8 mm auto-ignited terminals.
- The cutting tool has undergone a special heat treatment test which makes it one of the best tools even if you are operating it under excessive heat.
- The high-quality blades perform smooth and efficient cuts.
- Due to its long handles, the efforts needed to trim as well as crimp the wires is minimal.
- The specially designed and precisely machines teeth, grabs, holds, pulls off and removes the outer covering in just one-handed motion without many efforts.
- No such cons mentioned
10. Ruston Wire & Metal Cutter
Ruston Wire & Metal Cutter (10 inches) is made up of carbon steel giving it a good look as well as improving the quality of this product. The swift and smooth motion of this tool makes it handy and easy to operate. Let us have a look at the features and specifications of this product.
- The tool is made up of high-quality carbon steel which makes it sturdy and strongto be used against hard wires as well.
- The build quality of the product is very nice.
- The sharp blades of this cutter allow you to cut the wires off without a lot of efforts easily.
- The long handles of this tool increase the leverage and make it easy for you to handle and use them.
- These cutters come along with plastic coverings that provide insulation as well.
- No such cons mentioned.
To complete all your DIY tasks on your own without seeking anyone’s help and also on the professional front if anyone is involved in performing these jobs, a wire cutter is a must-have with you. One must be very careful while handling these tools by following all the safety measures while using it.
Looking at the features and specifications of all the products, we would suggest that the best option would be, Visko Tools 239 6-inch Wire Cutter or Stripper. Due to its high-grade steel, it is really strong and sturdy to be used against wires of any types. The springs provided on the jaws provide a swift motion while cutting the wires. The pressure which is needed to be applied is minimal.
Another product that we would suggest for our users would be Taparia 1405 Side Cutting Mini Plier. The major advantage of having this product is its strength and sturdiness. It could be used for cutting and stripping any wire due to its high-grade steel. The leaf spring provided between the jaws facilitates swift motion.