Best USB 3.0 Thumb Drives
The USB 3.0 thumb drive is also known as a USB 3.0 flash drive; it comes with a unique shape that fits well in a confined space. The USB thumb drive was designed to store data ranging from 256 megabytes to more than several gigabytes of data.
The shape of the thumb drive can protect the semiconductor from damage. The USB 3.0 drives stores data through integrated circuit design, enabling rewriting and reading of storage space.
The flash drive or thumb drive started selling in early 2000, the original size was 8MB, but recently it has increased in size and reduced in price.
Flash drive technology has improved from USB 2.0 connectivity in 2002 with a transfer speed of 480 Mbit/s to the third generation (USB 3.0) flash drive which became available in 2010 coming with sizes ranging from 8GB to 128GB with speed up to 5 Gbit/s (625 MB/s).
The USB 3.0 thumb drive can transport and store large essential files, such as pictures, videos, and documents. The data stored are secured if the flash drive is kept well.
The flash drive can be used to boot a computer operating system, and most systems have firmware that supports booting from a USB drive, allowing the initiation of an operating system from a bootable flash drive. The flash drive can also be used for a working system installation media. An operating system can be stored on a flash drive instead of a DVD, and the operating system is installed into a computer system through the flash drive.
Also, it can be used to back up essential files and can be used to read a file on other USB platforms such as HDTV, Audio player, Video game consoles and more.
The USB 3.0 thumb drive works on a USB 3.0 port. To use the USB 3.0 thumb drive, you must ensure you have a USB 3.0 port on your system.
The flash drive or thumb drive comes with a plug and play feature that is easy to use, i.e., unbox the flash after purchasing it and then connect it directly to your PC. Any flash drive size can be connected to the port to read the data stored on it.
9 Best USB 3.0 Thumb Drive
Good quality product
Solidly built product
Fast transfer speed
Thumb drive with charging
Customer satisfaction is guaranteed
Types of USB 3.0 Thumb Drive
There are several types of thumb drive available in the market today, let’s mention some of them.
The pen drive is also known as a flash drive, but the shape was constructed like a pen. The pen drive is famous in the market with sizes ranging from 4GB to 64GB and speed up to 50MB/s. The best pen drive is small and portable and generally used to store files. It is very affordable, healthy, and mobile. Due to its small size, it can be kept conveniently at any location of your choice.
The Gig drive is a bit different from other flash drives; though it’s mostly called a thumb drive, it comes with a micro USB feature. A mobile phone with an OTG function can read the data stored in a flash drive through the micro USB port on the flash drive. This gig drive is portable with high performance on any system.
The Jumpdrive is a stylish flash drive that comprises a button which brings out the USB port. Some jump drive has a beautiful covering that allows the movement of the flash drive to 360 degrees. It is lightweight with high performance. It comes in a variety of capabilities for ease of use.
Disk key is a unique type of thumb drive; it has features relative to the requirement of a thumb drive of size ranging from 8GB to 64GB and speed of 50MB/s. It looks like a key and easy to use; it’s handy and can be kept anywhere.
The memory stick is a particular type of thumb drive developed for digital cameras, camcorders, and other related electronics files. The memory stick can store multimedia up to 64GB.
The device port is similar to that of SD-card but allows higher capacities and transfer speeds. The memory stick is identical to the Disk key, but it has a body like a pen drive. The memory stick is sleek, small, and compact.
USB 3.0 Thumb Drive Buyer’s Guide
Choosing the best USB thumb drive is very important for convenient use. Here’s a list of guidelines to look after while trying to purchase a USB thumb drive.
In choosing a flash drive, it’s essential to pay attention to its specification. Some USB 3.0 thumb drive comes with sizes from 8GB to 128GB with different transfer speed, so it’s good to know the specification of your desired choice.
It’s good to purchase a drive with a smaller specification for storing small documents, but if there’s a need to store large files such as multimedia, it is vital to purchase a drive with large capacity.
It’s essential to know how durable the USB thumb drive is before purchasing it. There are several thumb drives available in the market that are not durable, and it won’t be right to buy them. To be sure of obtaining a durable thumb drive it’s important to cross-check the maker of the thumb drive. Manufacturers such as Kingston, Hp, Sony, and ScanDisk have won the trust of many customers with the durability of their product, so it will be advisable to know the maker of a thumb drive before purchasing it.
Some thumb drives aren’t reliable, a hard impact with the ground can cause the thumb drive to stop working or malfunction. Choosing a quality thumb drive for convenient use is okay.
Some thumb drives aren’t up to quality standard. Some USB 3.0 thumb drives do not have the specification presented by the manufacturer; many of them come with less specification as shown.
After the purchase of the product, it’s advisable to check its specifications if it’s the same as the description you saw before purchasing it if it’s not the same as what was presented it desirable to return it or ask for a better one.
Most thumb drives are mobile, and some get damaged due to mobility, those that get hurt are very low in quality. It is good to be aware of the manufacturer of the thumb drives to be sure your expectations will be met.
Speed is essential in purchasing a USB 3.0 thumb drive; a USB thumb drive has a breakneck transfer speed. Waiting hours to transfer your multimedia files can be very frustrating. Many fake thumb drives have a transfer speed of 1MB/s or less, but the actual rate of a USB 3.0 thumb drive is more than 60MB/s.
Many USB 3.0 thumb drive is backward compatible with the USB 2.0 port on your system, and the transfer speed could be as high as 25MB/s. Therefore, it’s essential to look for the transfer speed, so you don’t become uncomfortable.
A USB 3.0 thumb drive must be easy to carry or moved from one location to another. It won’t be nice to buy a thumb drive that isn’t light weighted. A light weighted thumb drive can be stored in your pocket, bag, wallet, and makes movement comfortable.
Some thumb drive also comes with a substantial metal body which is difficult to move around. Therefore, it’s good to pick a flash drive that’s portable for conveniences.
The cost of a USB 3.0 thumb drive should be considered before purchase. Most high-cost thumb drives have proved to be very valuable, while most low-cost thumb drives have been of a low standard. It’s good to purchase a drive that you can afford.
It’s crucial to choose a USB by which the connection type is compatible with your system. There are several thumb drives available in the market such as the USB 2.0, 1.1, 3.1 with B-Type, USB C-Type, micro-USB B or mini-b interface.
So, purchasing a USB C-type connection will not work on your USB 3.0 port. It’s advisable to be aware of your connection type before buying a USB thumb drive.
Some design looks very unattractive and handy, while some look pretty nice and elegant. Some devices are solidly built, while some are fancily built. Some USB drives have a waterproof design. Therefore, before you buy a USB thumb drive, it’s essential to know the flash drive that has the designed that is suitable for you.
Ease of use:
Some thumb drives are very stressful to use; that’s why it is necessary to choose a flash drive that will give you comfort. Comfort is very paramount and not having a thumb drive that doesn’t support you will leave you uncomfortable, and unsatisfied.
1. SanDisk Ultra Dual USB Drive 3.0 – Our Pick
The SanDisk ultra-dual USB 3.0 was made in 2017, and it has an OTG that is compatible with most Android devices that require OTG support. This type of thumb drive is also available in a variety of sizes such as 16GB, 64GB, and 128GB. It reads speeds from drive to a computer of up to 130 MB/s and might be lower depending on the performance of the host device. It allows smooth transfer of files between smartphones, PC, and Mac systems. It also operates on any Windows or Mac OS.
- Sleek design for modern home use.
- Fast transfer speed of up to 130 MB/s.
- Compatible with OTG-enabled smart devices.
- It is manufactured with a five-year warranty.
- The device is durable with high-quality performance.
- A good transfer speed.
- It works fine with Android devices.
- Memory zone app lets to take all the back up from your phone’s memory
- Heating up too quickly.
2. SanDisk iXpand Mini 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive – Good quality product
SanDisk iXpand Mini 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive is compatible with iPhone, Windows, and Mac OS.
It comes with a fast transfer rate of 90MB/s which can work on most Hi-speed USB 3.0 port. It has a sleek design for easy use, and it also supports automatic mobile phone back up function.
You can store multimedia such a photo, and popular video formats. It comes with an easy plug and plays installation for systems, and a flexible connector to plug directly into your iPhone or Ipad.
- Plug and play installation.
- Transfer rate of between 64 to 90 MB/s
- Compatible with Hi-speed USB 3.0
- Good quality and performance.
- Compatible with iPhone or Ipad, Windows and Mac OS.
- Reasonable price for a high capacity thumb drive.
- Good quality product.
- It lets you password-protect your files.
- Helps free up space on your iPhone or Ipad.
- Warranty issues.
- The case is sold separately.
3. Kingston DataTraveler 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive – Solidly built product
The Kingston data traveler is a compact light-weighted design. It has fast USB 3.0 feature that transfers data more quickly. It comes with a metal casing, and a colorful accent that complements any computer system it’s used.
Kingstone data traveler 16Gb USB 3.0 flash drive has a backward compatible with existing USB 2.0 ports for comfort. It has a read speed of 30MB/s and a write speed of 5MB/s.
- Light weighted design.
- Body surface covered with metal casing.
- Compatible with USB 3.1, 3.0, 2.0
- 30 MB/s read speed and 5MB/s write speed.
- The device comes with a five-year warranty and free technical support.
- Solidly built with the ability to withstand hard impact.
- Good size and capacity.
- A reasonable amount of weight that easy to detect when it isn’t in your pocket.
- Good transfer speed.
- No indicator included
4. Strontium Pollex 16GB USB Pen Drive – Excellent product
The strontium pollex 16GB USB pen drive is a non-volatile storage device that supports Windows OS, Mac OS, and Linux.
No external power is required to power on this device; the device is powered on when it is connected to the system. It has a variable clock rate of 480MHz, a transfer speed of 25MB/s (read speed), and a write speed of 5MB/s.
This device ensures reliable data transmission to better daily productivity and usage.
- Supports Windows OS, Mac OS, and Linux.
- Supports USB 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0.
- Read speed of 25 MB/s and write speed of 5 MB/s.
- Capless and light-weighted design.
- Plastic body with excellent finishing.
- A capacity of 16GB.
- A suitable device at a low price
- Excellent product
- Comes with a five-year warranty
- Delicate body.
- Low longevity.
5. Lexar JumpDrive S25 USB 3.0 32GB High-Speed Pen Drive – Fast transfer speed
Lexar Jumpdrive S25 USB 3.0 32GB high-speed pen drive has a retractable design, a slim body with elegant color.
It is reliable because it secures the stored files and transfers content with superfast USB 3.0 technology. The device is very affordable and portable.
It comes with encryptStick lite software, a security solution with 256-bit AES encryption for protecting your files.
It can work on Windows 7, 8, 10 and Mac OS. It ensures quality while in use, and it has good enough space to store multimedia files.
- Colorful device.
- Compatible with Windows OS and Mac OS.
- It stores and transfer data with superfast USB 3.0 technology.
- Backward compatibility with USB 2.0
- An advanced security solution with 256-bit AES encryption.
- It comes with a three-year warranty.
- Good performance while in operation.
- Low cost.
- It has a fast transfer speed.
- Product is delicate to use.
- Might malfunction after some days.
6. HP x765w 32GB USB 3.0 Pen Drive – High-quality performance
This device is light and very easy to move around with. It has a super-fast USB 3.0 performance with USB 2.0 compatibility. It is handy and very convenient for one-hand slide.
Hp x765w has a smooth finishing and an excellent white color design. It has a speed limit between 30 – 50 MBps.
- Handy with a very convenient one-hand slide.
- Super-fast USB 3.0
- Speed limit between 30 – 50 MB/s
- It comes with a two-year warranty.
- No heat issues.
- Good looking material.
- Reasonable price.
- Indication light.
- Quality product.
- White color might quickly fade away.
7. RAVPower iPhone iPad 32GB USB Pen Thumb Flash Drive 3.0 – Thumb drive with charging
Ravpower USB thumb drive is a different thumb drive that supports simultaneous charging and data transfer. It supports iPhone or Ipad devices.
Files can be moved from your iPhone or Ipad to the flash drive while charging.
It has an ample storage space of 32GB. It has a plug and play feature to save and play personal files. It lets you send data that are more than 4GB. It’s compatible with Windows OS, Mac OS, and more. Ravpower is also MFi certified.
- Allows simultaneous charging and transfer.
- Fold and fix feature for convenience.
- 32GB storage space.
- A Plug and Play installation.
- It supports iPhone 5 or higher, iPad (iOS 8.0 or higher), Windows OS, and Mac OSX.
- It comes with a warranty of 18 months.
- Good backup for iPad or iPhone.
- The device is easy to use.
- USB 3.0 data streaming with 80MB/s for reading and 30MB/s for writing.
- The device is durable.
- Great customer service.
- Does not fold well as described.
- Device operation may become slow after sometimes.
8. Solimo SwiftTransfer 32GB USB 3.0 OTG Pen drive – Customer satisfaction is guaranteed
The Solimo swift transfer 32GB USB 3.0 OTG pen drive is a fast thumb drive. It can accommodate file as much as 28.8GB with transfer speed that’s convenient for use. It comes with OTG features that support transfers and back up of documents from a smart device such as an android phone. It is compatible with USB 3.0 and backward compatible with USB 2.0. It is very durable and also made in high standard.
- It supports OTG feature.
- The capacity of 28.8gb.
- USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatibility.
- Enable backup files and folders from an android phone.
- It comes with a one-year warranty with excellent customer support.
- It has a lovely design.
- Good quality product.
- Reasonable price for a product.
- Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
- It gets hot swiftly.
9. iBall Hybrid Dual 3.0 32GB Dual USB Pen Drive – High-quality performance
The iBall hybrid dual 3.0 32GB USB thumb drive is a classic thumb drive with a Micro-B and Standard USB 3.0 interface. It has an OTG function with enables the dual connection between PCs and Smartphones.
It has an attractive color consisting of the mixture of black and red colors — a durable aluminum alloy casing for protection against damages.
- It supports smartphones with OTG function.
- Compatible with USB 3.0 and backward compatibility with USB 2.0 and 1.1.
- Sturdy aluminum casing.
- It has a Micro-B and standard USB interface.
- It comes with a one-year warranty.
- Good and unique design.
- Good aluminum covering for protection.
- It’s durable.
- High performance.
- The device may become slow after a while.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do all USB thumb drive come with the same transfer rate?
No, not all USB thumb come with the same transfer size. Some USB thumb drives have a specification that is below the actual read and write transfer rate of another USB thumb drive.
2. Do all USB thumb drives come with the same warranty specification?
Not all USB thumb drive comes with the same warranty specification, it’s good to check for the warranty before you purchase.
3. Is an indicator light included on all Thumb drive?
An indicator light is a necessary feature as it helps to know if the thumb drive is in operation, but no, not all thumb drive has this feature.
4. Why should I buy a thumb drive with an OTG function?
OTG function is essential if you want to transfer or back up your files from your Android phone. You can purchase a thumb drive with an OTG function if there’s a need to use it on an Android phone.
5. Does OTG work on iPhone?
No, it is only compatible with Android phones.
6. Do a home theatre and smart TV support pen drive?
Yes, it does. Just connect the pen drive to the USB port of your home theatre or smart TV and play.
7. Can my TV play .mkv format file from the flash drive?
No, it plays only .3gp and .mp4 video format.
8. Is all USB 3.0 thumb drive waterproof?
No, not all USB 3.0 thumb drive is waterproof. Some drives are designed specifically for withstanding water intrusion, while some are intended for fancy.
9. Can we use all USB 3.0 thumb drive as a bootable drive?
Yes, all USB 3.0 thumb drive can be used as a bootable drive.
10. Why should I purchase a pen drive with a cap?
You can purchase a pen drive that has a cap to protect your thumb drive from dust and water.
11. Can USB 3.0 thumb drive work on Windows XP?
A USB 3.0 thumb drive will not work on a Windows XP except it has backward compatibility of USB 2.0.
12. Can I use it to install an operating system for my system?
Yes you can. It will run smoothly.
13. Is USB 3.0 as fast as SSD?
No, SSD is still faster than USB 3.0. SSD can read data at about 550MB/s and write data at 520MB/s compared to the read and write of a USB 3.0 thumb drive.
While purchasing a USB 3.0 thumb drive, it is essential to have detailed knowledge about the device. If you want the best USB thumb drive, it’s vital to choose the product that meets your needs.