Best Backpack for High School Kids
Whether it is your kid’s first day of school or entering another grade in their elementary school, you need to get them a backpack that they’ll love to carry. The bag should also be spacious enough to hold all of their supplies.
Aside from ensuring that your baby’s backpack is stylish and fashionable, you need to ensure that the bag you bring home is of the best quality, size and that it’ll go easy on your baby’s back. Keep in mind that a heavy backpack will make your little one suffer from neck and shoulder pain after some time.
If there’s something that your kid requires, then it is a sturdy bag that’ll keep him going. The biggest challenge, however, is getting such a bag. That’s why we’ve carried out thorough research and come up with top 10 backpacks for kids for different ages to help you get a solution.
In this guide, you’ll get the hottest trends and bags of classic appeal that will make your kid to always look forward to their next day in school. You’ll also learn of the features to look out for when going for a backpack, advantages of using a bag, frequently asked questions, and some safety tips as well.
Top 10 Backpack for High School Kids
Best affordable feature
Best breathability feature
Best water resistance feature
Best laptop compartment
Best spacious compartments
Best easy to carry feature
Best durability feature
Best spacious feature
Great internal organizer
Benefits of Using a Backpack
A backpack is a convenient way for your kid to carry their belongings to school and keep them within easy reach at all times. It will save your little one’s time and protect them from losing track of things. Most come with water bottle pockets and have compartments that make it easy for your kids to find their stuff.
Most backpacks for kids are light in weight, enabling them to carry them with ease, unlike suitcases that might be a little heavier. Some backpacks even come with wheels that make it even much easier for kids to move them around.
A lightweight backpack will never put your baby into the risk of suffering from neck, back or shoulder strain, and pain. Strive to get a lightweight bag for your little one at all times.
Backpacks enable kids to carry their books, pens, and all other stuff to school safely at all times. They keep your kids’ books from getting rained or getting damaged by excess sunlight.
Keeps Kids’ Stuff Organised
Backpacks come with separate compartments that enable them to organize their belongings well. As a result, your little one can tell where their pen or book is with a lot of ease when they need them.
Kids’ Backpack Safety Tips
- Always ensure that the backpack weighs about 10% of your kid’s entire body weight. A heavy one will make your kid lean forward in a bid to support the weight on his back instead of that on his shoulders.
- Ensure that your kid’s backpack is sturdy and appropriately sized. It should not be wider than your little one’s chest.
- Insist on wide padded adjustable shoulder straps if you want your kid to carry the backpack comfortably. Unlike thin straps, wide padded ones will never dig into your kid’s shoulders, causing discomfort.
- Ensure that your kid uses both straps to carry their backpack. They should never lug it on one shoulder as this will cause a disproportionate shift of weight to one side. As a result, your child could suffer from muscle and neck spasms and low back pain.
- Shorten the straps on your kid’s backpack until the bottom is just above the child’s waist and not on their buttocks. It should also lie flat on your kid’s back.
- Your kid’s backpack should never hang more than 4 inches below their waistline.A bag that hangs too low will only increase the weight on your child’s shoulders, causing them to lean forward when walking.
- If the bag comes with a waist strap, ensure that your child uses it at all times.
- A bag with individualized compartments will help in positioning your child’s essentials most effectively. What you need to ensure is that all the pointy and bulky objects are stored away from the area that will rest on their back.
- Avoid buying bigger backpacks for your kids as the more room there is, the more your child will want to carry, and the heavier it will be.
- If your child’s backpack is too heavy, you should talk to your child’s teacher and ask if they can leave the heaviest books at school and bring home only lighter hand-out materials.
The following are the things you need to consider when purchasing a backpack for your kid.
Look for wide padded shoulder straps for your little one’s backpack as they help distribute the weight evenly. The padded straps reduce the risk of muscle strain or injuring, enabling your kid to carry the bag comfortably.
If possible, the padded straps should also have a mesh fabric as this will help with air circulation keeping your kid cool when carrying the backpack. An extra waist or chest strap will also act as an added advantage. The straps should be adjustable to fit snugly.
Ensure that the back panel of the bag you wish to purchase is padded. The padding will provide your kid with all the comfort they require when carrying the backpack. As earlier mentioned, the shoulder straps should also be padded to provide comfort and support as well.
The bag should have enough compartments to store all the essentials that your kid requires in their everyday school life. These compartments also help in distributing weight.
The fabric for the bag you purchase for your kid matters a lot as well. If you don’t want to buy a bag that wears out a few months down the line, get one with synthetic fabrics such as polyester and nylon. The material should also be water resistant to keep your kid’s school essentials safe even if it gets rained on.
The fabric should also be easy to wash and one that doesn’t get stained with ease. If you care much about the environment, go for a backpack with eco-friendly fabric.
Ensure that the backpack you pick for your little one allows air to circulate freely. You don’t want your kid to suffer from excess heat when carrying it, especially during hot weather.
Check the zippers of the bag before you pay for it. The zippers should be of good quality and one that zips smoothly without catching on the fabric.
The stitching on a backpack is one minor feature that you should never overlook. Most people ignore this only for them to realize days later after it’s too late even to return it to the seller if returnable. Ensure that the bag you select for your little one comes adequately stitched with double stitching.
Get a backpack with the correct size to suit your kid. The right size should be one that isn’t wider or longer than your kid’s torso. It should also never hang more than four inches below your kid’s waist. The bigger the size, the heavier the bag will be making it unsafe for your little one to carry.
Your kid’s bag should have between 10% to 15% of his body weight. Anything more than that will only pose a threat to the health of your kid. Heavy bags will make them suffer from shoulder and back strain and neck pain. A weighty bag will also damage your little one’s posture, something you’d rather not see happening.
Consider the age of your child before purchasing a backpack for them. Kids at different ages will have different tastes, and therefore, a bag that impresses a preschooler may not impress older kids. Also, when starting, your kid may not have much to carry and thus not require a bigger bag.
The backpack you purchase for your kid should be robust and practical and not flimsy. You also don’t want to keep on spending your hard earned money on school bags from time to time.
External water bottle pockets
You need to get a bag with external water pockets, as these will keep your kid’s books from getting soiled. They can also use the water bottle pockets to carry an umbrella.
You do not need to spend too much on a backpack while you can still get quality ones at a low price. You also don’t have to go for a bag from famous brands. What matters at the end of the day is that you get a quality bag for your loved one. The less it will cost you, the better. Always consider your budget but purchase the best quality at all times.
Before you buy a backpack for your kid, you have to put its capacity into consideration. Ask yourself how much it can hold and the school essentials your kid needs to carry to school. The more they carry, the spacious the backpack needs to be and vice versa.
Sometimes even though not on all occasions, the brand of a backpack matters a great deal. There are those well-known bags that manufacture high-quality bags that you are assured of durability when you purchase one from them. Even though the best backpack brands may come at a higher price, it’s worth going for.
However, you also need to know that sometimes you can also get a very durable backpack from a brand that you’ve never heard of before and probably at a low price. The brand of a bag may not matter a lot; what you should always look out for is the quality of the bag.
Always go for a bag that comes with a warranty. This way, should you have future problems with it you can return it for a refund. A backpack that comes with a warranty will always make you feel safe when paying for it.
1. POLE STAR Casual Backpack – Our pick
If looking for an affordable yet durable backpack for your high school kid, you need to look into this bag from POLE STAR. The brand is well known for its sturdy and reasonably priced bags and will most likely not disappoint you. It comes in a fashionable and modern design that will make your kid fall in love with it.
The backpack features lightweight polyester inner and outer material that makes it durable and easy to carry. It also has broad padded shoulder straps that make it comfortable to wear and carry at all times. It comes with a padded base to protect your gadgets.
It comes with two zippered compartments and a front pocket that can hold all your smaller and less bulky items. The bag is also water resistant to keep your valuables from getting soiled should you get rained on.
It also comes with high-quality zippers that close smoothly without catching on the fabric. It comes in an attractive blue and navy color, and it’s also less prone to wrinkles even after rough usage.
- Made of lightweight but durable inner and outer polyester material
- Comes in a fashionable and modern design
- This is a 32-liter bag
- It has a dimension of 45 cm x 32 cm x 24 cm
- Good and strong material
- Has broad padded and adjustable shoulder straps for comfort
- Has a padded base that keeps your gadgets well protected
- Water resistant and sturdy
- Has enough space
- Excellent zip quality
- It is a multipurpose bag
- Lightweight and comfortable to carry
- Poor stitching
- Can’t support a lot of weight
2. Chris and Kate Polyester Backpack – Best affordable feature
Made with polyester fabric, this backpack will hold all your school’s stuff. It has a heavy duty construction and thick fabric that makes it sturdy as well. You can not only use it to school but also to carry your office essentials when going camping or a weekend trip.
The backpack has three compartments to store your items and two side pockets for a water bottle and an umbrella or other accessories. It comes with padded adjustable shoulder straps that provide you ample comfort, enabling you to carry it along with ease.
It has a laptop compartment where you can place your laptop and carry it safely with you at all times. Its fabric is water repellant and will thus keep your school items safe from water damage at all times. The sky-diving print on the backpack symbolizes traveling with a free mind and will, therefore, make a perfect companion.
- Has padded adjustable shoulder straps for comfort
- Water repellant to shield your school essentials from water damage
- Comes with a laptop compartment that enables you to carry your laptop safely and with ease
- It has a capacity of 30litres
- It weighs 0.3kgs
- It has a dimensions 46cmX28cmX23cm.
- Has three compartments that are spacious enough for you to carry all your school’s stuff
- Water resistant and keeps your items safe
- Comes in a unique design
- Comfortable to carry around
- Comes at an affordable price
- Laptop compartment not padded and thus not safe
- Low-quality zippers
- Can’t hold a lot of weight
3. American Tourister Casual Backpack – Best breathability feature
Coming from a famous brand, this bag will enable your high school kid to have an easy time in school. It will hold all their school essentials and keep them organized all through. They cannot only use it in school but also when traveling for a day trip.
Made from durable double dot polyester fabric, this backpack lasts for a long time. It is spacious enough to hold your textbooks, notebooks, journals, clothes, and additional supplies if going on a trip, which makes it the best backpack for travel. It’s front pocket comes with an interior organizer that will provide easy access to your wallet, phone, keys, among others.
The bag is easy to carry and comes with two padded shoulder straps that you can adjust with ease to suit your height. It also has a padded mesh back for superior comfort. The mesh provides a breathable system to keep you cool irrespective of the weather condition.
It is water resistant and will keep your school essentials from getting soiled you get rained on. It also has mesh pockets on both sides to hold your water bottle and umbrella and thus an excellent choice for you. The bag comes with a year’s manufacturer warranty.
- Made of durable double dot polyester fabric and therefore long lasting
- Comes with a padded mesh back for comfort and also keeps you cool
- This is a 32litre bag
- It has a dimension of 32.5 cms x 18 cms x 50 cms (LxWxH)
- Has mesh pockets to hold your water bottle and umbrella as well
- Water resistant to keep your notebooks and textbooks from getting soiled
- It comes with a 1 year of manufacturer warranty
- Extremely comfortable to carry
- Graphics on the backpack makes it attractive
- Carries a lot of stuff without appearing bulky
- Has better back support.
- It has a stylish look to it
- The bag is very lightweight
- Doesn’t support a lot of weight
- Inner partitions wear out soon
- Stitching not up to the mark
4. POLE STAR Polyester Backpack – Best water resistance feature
Here comes yet another backpack from POLE STAR that is not only sturdy and affordable but will also help you carry your laptop around with ease and without worries now that it comes with a laptop compartment.
It is light in weight and comes with ergonomically curved shoulder straps that make it easy to wear and carry. It has two zippered compartments that can hold files, notebooks, and textbooks and generally all your school essentials.
The bag is also dustproof and water resistant in nature and will always keep your books in good shape. It also comes with a breathable padded cushioning at the back that helps to keep you cool even on hot weather days.
You can also hold the backpack in your hands with ease as it comes with an easy to use loop handle. It also comes with an external bottle holder that makes it easy for you to access water bottle.
- Comes with a breathable padded back cushioning at the back that keeps you cool at all times
- It has a capacity of 30litre
- It has the dimension of 46 cm x 32 cm x 20 cm
- Comes with ergonomic curved padded shoulder straps that make it comfy to wear and carry
- Dustproof and water resistant in nature keeping your books and school essentials safe
- Has an easy to use loop handle that makes it easy to handhold as well
- Comes with a laptop compartment
- Easy to handhold
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- It has excellent quality
- It has a large space
- Dustproof and water resistant
- Low-quality stitching
5. Killer Waterproof Backpack – Best laptop compartment
The backpack comes with two compartments and two vertical front pockets that are easy to access. You, therefore, don’t have to worry about its capacity to hold your school stuff as it is spacious enough.
It features durable PU coated inner and outer polyester fabric and therefore very durable. Whether carrying light or bulky school essentials, the bag has your back. It also comes with a well-cushioned laptop compartment that can hold your 15.6-inch laptop. It can also carry to days’ clothes if going on a trip.
The bag comes with padded shoulder straps that enable you to carry it with a lot of comforts. Its ergonomics will make you forget that you have a heavy load on your back. It is also, thus keeps your valuables safe from water damage.
- Comes with spacious compartments and space to store your school essentials
- Has durable PU polyester fabric that makes it incredibly long lasting
- It has a dimension of 13.00×18.75×9.50 inches (WxHxD)
- It can be carried easily as it weighs 800gm
- Comes with a perfectly cushioned laptop compartment that can hold a 15.6-inch laptop
- Waterproof to keep your items safe in case you get rained on
- Comes in a perfect color combination
- Spacious to hold all your school essentials
- Has a cushioned laptop compartment
- Comfortable to carry
- It comes with secret pockets
- It is very convenient to carry
- Low storage capacity
6. Skybags Figo Plus Casual Backpack – Best spacious compartments
This Backpack from Skybags that features polyester fabric and therefore, long-lasting. It comes in vibrant pink color and will always look good on your back. With it, you’ll always look forward to your next day in school or a fun day in the city.
The backpack has three spacious compartments and a front pocket where you can store your small essentials like earphones, charger, pens, among others. It has a file pocket in the main compartment for you to store your important files and a secret pocket where you can store your most valued stuff.
The bag comes with a zippered organizer with a key holder where you can store your keys safely and never lose them. It also has a bottle holder with a safety loop that holds it in position at all times. The printed ID tag on the inside of this backpack makes it authentic. It is one of the best backpacks for school.
It comes with padded adjustable shoulder straps that help you carry it with comfort and a padded top handle which makes it easy to lift it or hold it in your hands. It also has a 10mm padded bottom that protects your stuff from damage.
- Made from durable polyester fabric and therefore long lasting
- It weighs 515 grams which becomes convenient for kids to carry
- It has the 49 cms x 32 cms x 24 cms (LxWxH) of dimensions
- It consists of three compartments
- Has three spacious compartments and a front pocket for you to store your essentials
- Has a file pocket where you can store your most important files
- Comes with a zippered organizer with a key holder that holds your keys safely at all times
- Lightweight and hence easy to carry
- Made from quality material thus durable
- Spacious enough to keep your essentials
- Comes in attractive colors
- It comes with organized compartments
- Doesn’t have a rain cover
- Can’t hold heavy weight
7. Sassie Polyester Navy Blue School Bag – Best easy to carry feature
If looking for a light and trendy backpack for school, consider giving this backpack a try. It is stylish and will always look great on you. This bag comes with padded shoulder straps that are also adjustable, enabling you to carry it with a lot of comforts.
It comes with lots of pockets and compartments and will, therefore, store all your school necessities. The compartments will also make it easy for you to locate stuff and thus an ideal bag for you. It also comes with a padded laptop compartment where you can store your laptop.
The backpack also has toughened zippers that not only ensure maximum security but also enables you to carry it with ease. It also has durable stitching that makes it sturdy. The bag also comes with a fully padded back for comfort.
Just like most bags on this list, it is also waterproof to help keep your valuables safe at all times. Two mesh pockets on both sides help to carry your water bottle and an umbrella. Get the bag as it is the best backpack for high school and use it for school, tuition, office, and even when traveling for a day or two tours.
- Has padded shoulder straps for support and comfort
- Has toughened zippers that ensure maximum security and portability
- Comes with lots of pockets and compartments to hold all your school necessities
- The bag has a capacity of 31litres
- Its total weight is 360gram
- It has a total dimension of 47cm x 29cm x 11cm
- Has a full padded back for extra comfort
- Easy to adjust straps for comfort
- Has high-quality zippers
- Comes at an affordable price
- Small laptop compartment
- Quality not up to the mark
8. Skybags Stream Spacious School Backpack – Best durability feature
This is yet another school backpack from Skybags. Just like most bags from this brand, it’s made with sturdy material and thus very durable. Your kid will get to use it for a long time and also save you the trouble of spending money on school bags every few months.
The bag has three spacious compartments and a front zip pocket, all of which help you to store your school stuff. It also comes with a padded top holder that allows you to lift and move it from one place to another. It also makes it easy for you to hold the bag in your hands.
To ensure that you carry it with comfort, the bag comes with padded adjustable shoulder straps. It also has a rain cover at the bottom that shields it from dust and rain. With this bag, your school essentials will always remain safe.
It comes with a side bottle holder where you can place your water bottle. This backpack comes with a manufacturer 12-month international warranty and therefore worth giving a try.
- Comes with three spacious compartments and a front pocket to hold your essentials
- Made with sturdy fabric thus long lasting
- It comes with 3 very spacious compartments
- It has a dimension of 35 cms x 22 cms x 46 cms (LxWxH)
- It also comes with a rain cover
- Has a padded top handle that makes it easy to hand hold
- Comes with a rain cover that shields it from rain and dust
- Comfortable to wear and carry
- Lightweight and carries heavy weight
- It is a sturdy material
- Comes with a 12 months’ manufacturer warranty
- Quality is not up to the mark
- Not great for heavy loads and daily use
9. AUXTER UNB Green School Bag – Best spacious feature
If looking for a big and spacious backpack for your school kid, this bag is a sure bet. It comes with two roomy compartments that can hold your books or clothes if traveling. It also comes with a front pocket where you can store your small items.
Its padded shoulder straps help you carry it around with comfort. You can even adjust the straps according to your height for it to fit snugly on your back. It also comes with internal mesh pockets that help you carry your water bottle and an umbrella.
This backpack features durable and lightweight materials as it is designed to keep you comfortable even with a heavy load on your back. It also comes with a loop handle that offers you a secure hold when picking or moving it.
- Comes with a laptop compartment where you can store your laptop if carrying it with you
- Has spacious compartments to store all your daily school necessities
- It is a 30liter of bag
- It has a dimension of 47 cm x 32 cm x 20 cm
- Has padded and adjustable shoulder straps for comfort
- Comes with a loop handle that makes it easy for you to pick and move it around
- It can be used for travelling as well
- Designed to keep you comfortable
- Light in weight
- Comes with a warranty
- Great inner compartment
- Not waterproof
- Poor stitching
- No handle for lifting and carrying
10. American Tourister Jet Blue Backpack – Great internal organizer
Last in our list is this lightweight yet voluminous backpack from American Tourister. It comes with multiple compartments and thus a very spacious. It also comes with an internal organizer that gives you easy access to your stationery or whatever you need.
It has a padded mesh back for comfort and support as well. The mesh makes it breathable, keeping you cool at all times. The shoulder straps help distribute the weight evenly on your back as they are padded and adjustable.
The backpack comes with a separate packable rain cover that has an elastic closure for a secure fit. It protects the bag from dust and rain. If you want to carry your water bottle and an umbrella, all you need is to place them on mesh pockets on both sides for quick access.
- Lightweight and voluminous enough to carry all your school essentials
- Has an internal organizer that gives easy access to whatever you need
- Has a breathable mesh system that keeps you cool even on hot days
- The capacity of this bag is 28 litres
- It weighs 425 grams
- It has a dimension of 30 cms x 20 cms x 47 cms (LxWxH)
- It has three compartments
- Comes with a separate rain cover to your essentials against rain and dust
- Excellent quality thus durable
- Spacious and easy to carry
- Comes with a rain cover
- Lightweight and comfortable
- No laptop compartment
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is carrying a heavy backpack harmful for my kid?
A heavy backpack will make your kid’s shoulders to get rounded and their upper back curved due to leaning. Wearing a heavy bag heightens the chance of developing neck, shoulder, and back pain, which will make your child suffer greatly.
Carrying a heavy backpack also increases the chances of falling, especially on stairs.
2. Do heavy backpacks stunt growth?
Heavy backpacks don’t stunt growth but may cause arthritis later in life. Always invest in light bags for your kids if you want them to lead a healthy life.
3. Can I purchase a backpack for a kindergarten kid?
Of course. The earlier you start training your little one on how to use a backpack, the better. All you need to do is ensure that the bag is light in weight, appropriate in size, and comfortable for your little one to carry.
4. What are good quality backpack brands?
A good quality backpack brand is one that offers durable backpacks, spacious enough to hold your essentials and one that offers you comfort as well when wearing it. The backpack need not come at a higher price tag and should also come with a warranty.
5. What are the most durable school backpacks?
Most durable school backpacks are made with polyester fabric, have strong zippers and sturdy stitching as well. Such backpacks have a durable inner fabric as well, resist rainwater and dustproof as well. Even after rugged usage and countless times of washing, the bags still retain their original shape. They come with full padded backs and back, and strong side meshes pockets as well.
Our expert picked top-rated backpacks on the list include; POLE STAR “HERO” Sky and Navy Casual Backpack,POLE STAR Polyester Black Backpack with Laptop Compartments and American Tourister Black Casual Backpack
POLE STAR “HERO” Sky and Navy Casual Backpack not only comes in an attractive color but will also help you carry all your school essentials at a go. It has padded adjustable shoulder straps for comfort and even comes with a secret pocket where you can place your phone or your most valued items. POLE STAR black backpack, on the other hand, comes with a laptop compartment. Will keep your essentials safe from water and dust and also comes with a loop that makes it easy to hand hold.
American Tourister Jet Blue Casual Backpack is very light in weight but still can hold a lot of weight. It also has a breathable system that will help keep you cool even on hot days. It also comes with a separate rain cover that shields your essentials from dust and water.
Having gone through the list, we hope that you’ve come across a backpack that you think will suit your kid best. Remember to observe all the safety tips and help your kid to lead a healthy lifestyle.