Best Anti-Pollution Masks
Air pollution is a rising threat to the environment. It is caused by hazardous contaminants, including gases, smoke, vehicle exhaust, organic and inorganic particulates, and biological molecules. We breathe polluted air, every minute of the day. It leads to the deterioration of health and respiratory problems, including Asthma, Sinus, and allergies.
Anti-pollution masks and air purifiers are essential items that will help you breathe easier. An anti-pollution mask filters out PM 2.5, dust, bacteria, viruses, allergens, and other contaminants. Hence, it prevents hazardous impurities from reaching your nose and mouth, protecting you from illnesses.
There are various types of anti-pollution masks available in the market. Many of these masks come with an exhalation valve that prevents heat and carbon-dioxide build-up. It keeps the mask cool and ensures comfort at all times.
In this article, we provide a comprehensive buyer’s guide to help you purchase a suitable anti-pollution mask. We have also reviewed the top 6 anti-pollution masks available on amazon. You can read through our FAQ section at the end of the article to gain more insight.
6 Best Anti-Pollution Masks
Types of Anti-Pollution Masks
The N95 mask is the most commonly used anti-pollution masks. It is ineffective in removing oil-based contaminants. The mask comes with more than one layer of filtration, which traps 95% of dust, PM 2.5, bacteria, allergens, viruses, and other impurities. Hence, it is suitable for those prone to respiratory diseases, including Sinus, Asthma, and allergies.
It is used for daily commuting by school-children, college students, and office goers. The mask protects against vehicle exhaust and prevents diseases like influenza, flu, Swine flu, common cold, etc. The light-weight and comfortable masks also include an exhalation valve that prevents heat build-up. It allows you to breathe comfortably for a long duration.
N99 and N100 Masks
N99 and N100 masks are more effective than N95 masks. Like the N95 mask, they are incapable of removing oil-based impurities. The N99 mask can remove up to 99% impurities of size 0.3 micron while the N100 mask traps 99.97% impurities of the same size.
These masks are suitable for the elderly, pregnant women, children, and those prone to Asthma, Sinus, allergies, and the common cold. They come with multiple layers of filtration that remove disease-causing germs, bacteria, viruses, allergens, VOCs, foul smell, PM 2.5 dust, and others.
Totobobo mask is a light-weight and reusable anti-pollution mask. It comes with a patented watermark seal check technology that seals the mask over your face. Hence, it prevents air leakage, which may disrupt the filtration.
You can easily customize the mask according to your facial shape to ensure a comfortable and secure fit. The moldable mask can be reshaped to fit all the members of your family. This unique feature makes it quite expensive.
N95 Aura Particulate Respirator
The N95 Aura Particulate Respirator is designed for people who wear glasses. It is capable of effectively removing 95% non-oil-based impurities. The unique cool flow valve allows air to dissipate, keeping the mask cool.
It also prevents your glasses from fogging so that you can comfortably wear it for several hours. The mask is ideal for hot and humid weather conditions.
Doctors and nurses mostly use surgical masks. However, they are capable of protecting you from the flu. A surgical mask is made using a thick material that prevents flu germs, bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens from reaching your mouth and nose. These are disposable masks that cannot be reused.
Respro is a brand that deals with air pollution masks. A respro mask includes dust and pollen filtration, exhaust fume filtration, exhalation valve, and sub-micron filtration. Hence, these masks are suitable for outdoor activities, including walking, jogging, cycling, exercise, sports, and commuting by metro or two-wheelers.
The filtration system is replaceable so that the mask can be reused over a long duration. Allergy Relief Respro masks are made using dermatologically-tested material and are suitable for those who are allergic.
P95 masks offer protection against both oil-based and non-oil-based impurities. The oilproof mask is suitable for oil refineries, gas stations, kitchens, and pharmaceuticals. It is capable of removing up to 95% allergens and pollens of 0.3 microns and larger. It also traps dust, PM 2.5, bacteria, viruses, and oil molecules released from kerosene, petrol, diesel, and cooking oil.
The most popular anti-pollution mask to consider buying is the N95 and N99 masks. Ensure that the masks come with an advanced three to five-layer filtration with an efficiency of up to 95%. It should be effective in removing PM 2.5, PM 10, dust, allergens, bacteria, virus, foul odor, and other hazardous contaminants. Also, the filters should meet the European, ISI, or BIS safety and quality certifications.
Ensure that you wear a mask that comes with a secure yet comfortable fit. It should be designed with adjustable straps, made using soft cotton material. You can adjust the strap length according to the shape of your face. Secure the nose clip or nose pad on the bridge of your nose to get the right fit.
The mask you buy should come with fans with adjustable speed or exhalation valves. These features dissipate air faster and prevent heat and carbon dioxide build-up. Hence, it allows you to breathe comfortably over a long duration.
Washable and Reusable
Certain anti-pollution masks like the surgical masks are not reusable. These masks, when disposed, generate more waste, contributing to further contamination of the air. Hence, it is advised to go for a mask that is easily washable and reusable. It saves your expenses and the environment.
The mask should be made using soft cotton, polypropylene, or non-woven fabric. The adjustable straps and nose pads should be made using soft cotton. A mask having an ultra-soft inner lining ensures a gentle feel on the skin. It prevents sweat and irritation on the skin, allowing you to wear it comfortably for a long duration.
Top 6 Best Anti-Pollution Masks
1. Honeywell Anti Pollution Mask
The Honeywell anti-pollution mask comes with a three-layer filter that offers you protection against hazardous contaminants of air pollution. It is designed especially for those prone to respiratory disorders, including Asthma, Sinus, common cold, and allergies.
The N95 mask features an exhalation mask that allows hot air to be released quickly. Hence, it is comfortable to wear for a long duration, even in hot and humid conditions. This easy to wear a mask is more effective than those with replaceable filters or activated carbon cloth filters.
- Type: N95 mask.
- The foldable mask comes with an easy exhalation valve for faster dissipation of exhaled air.
- It is light-weight and thin.
- It features a three-layer filter that surpasses the PM 2.5 specifications.
- Made using polypropylene material.
- It includes comfortable features, including soft cotton ear bands, skin-friendly lining, soft adjustable nose clips, and a nose pad.
- Storage shelf life: 5 years.
- Comfortable to wear in hot and humid conditions.
- It comes with a filtration efficiency of 95%, offering you 5-in-1 protection against hazardous contaminants, including PM 2.5 dust, bacteria, haze, allergens, and influenza virus.
- Convenient over ear straps make it easy to take on and off.
- It is not washable.
2. 3M 9504 INV Dust Pollution Mask
The 3 M 9504 INV N95 Dust Pollution Mask comes with a P2 respirator that offers 95% protection against dust and allergens. It is also capable of filtering out swine flu virus and particulate matter, including PM 2.5 and PM 10. The portable mask ensures comfort for a long duration by preventing heat, sweat, and carbon dioxide build-up.
- Type: N95 anti-pollution mask.
- Light-weight and vertical flat-fold design.
- It comes in a pack of 10.
- The mask is made using non woven fabric.
- It is designed with a 3 M cool flow valve that removes heat and carbon dioxide build-up.
- It comes with an adjustable M-nose clip for a custom and secure seal.
- The P2 respirator effectively filters PM 2.5, PM 10, dust, and allergens.
- The foldable design makes it convenient to carry around.
- It is comfortable to wear.
- It is approved by the European standard en 149: 2001 ffp2 and filters air up to 95%.
- It is not easy to wear.
3. Bodyguard Anti Pollution Mask
The Bodyguard N99 anti-pollution mask comes with advanced six-layer filtration. It is capable of filtering VOCs, dust, PM 2.5 particles, foul odor, and other atmospheric pollutants. The mask comes with an exhalation valve that prevents heat and carbon dioxide build-up. It allows you to breathe comfortably for a longer duration.
- Type: N99 anti-pollution mask.
- It comes with six layers of filtration.
- The mask filters PM 2.5 dust particles effectively.
- It features a nose clip for a better fit.
- The exhalation valve allows you to breathe comfortably for a long duration.
- It is washable and reusable.
- It ensures a secure and comfortable fit.
- It protects you from dust, VOCs, foul odor, and other atmospheric pollutants.
- Not comfortable to wear if you wear glasses.
4. PureMe Anti Pollution Mask
The PureMe N95 anti-pollution mask is made using soft cotton material, ensuring comfort to the user at all times. It comes with a 5-layer PM2.5 filter with activated carbon that removes dust particles and other impurities from the air. Each of the replaceable filters has a long filtration life of 20-25 days. Hence, it is the ideal option for those prone to skin problems, allergies, and respiratory infections.
- Weight of the mask: 200 grams.
- It is made using cotton material.
- The mask is designed with a 5-layer PM 2.5 filter with activated carbon.
- The pack includes four replaceable PM 2.5 filters.
- It is washable and reusable.
- The soft interior makes it comfortable to wear.
- The replaceable filters come with a long-life.
- It has a foldable design, making it easily portable.
- The nose bridge is flimsy.
5. Dettol Anti Pollution Mask
The Dettol anti-pollution mask comes with a three-layer filtration, including a primary filter layer, micro-particulate filter, and an activated carbon filter. The Cambridge mask is designed with a soft nose pad and adjustable strap, ensuring a comfortable and gentle fit.
It is capable of filtering out 95% PM 0.3 and PM 2.5 particles, which makes it suitable for Urban cities with poor air quality. The ultra-soft fabric mask also ensures effective protection against dust and vehicle exhaust. Hence, it is an ideal travel companion.
- It comes with a 3-layer filter that effectively removes PM 2.5 particles up to 98%.
- It is capable of filtering pollen and allergen particles measuring between 3 microns to 100 microns.
- It is designed with a soft nose pad and adjustable straps.
- Made using ultra-soft fabric that’s gentle on the skin.
- It has the European certification CE0194 EN149 FFP1/FFP2.
- The mask is designed and tested to fit children (7+).
- It is shaped with a 3 D scanning technique to ensure a comfortable fit.
- The smart valve removes heat, moisture, and humidity.
- It is treated with silver to offer protection against bacteria and viruses for improved health.
- It is washable and reusable.
- Poor ventilation causes difficulty in breathing.
6. Prana Air Pollution Mask
The Pran air pollution mask comes with an advanced 5-layer filtration system, including a pre-filter, white filter, advanced carbon filter, and HEPA filter. It is capable of filtering up to 95% of PM 2.5 dust, allergens, pollen, and other contaminants. The mask conveniently runs for up to 6 hours on a single charge of 2 hours.
- The advanced 5-layer HEPA filter traps pollen, smoke, and PM 2.5 dust.
- The N95 mask is made using high-quality cotton and polyester.
- It comes with three different fan speeds.
- The micro-USB charging cable helps you charge the mask in two hours.
- It has a battery life of 6 hours.
- The fan speed can be adjusted according to your activity, i.e., walking or jogging.
- The advanced filtration technology ensures 95.99% filtration efficiency.
- The HEPA filter is interchangeable.
- It prevents skin from sweat and irritation.
- It does not ensure a secure fit.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do N95 masks protect against air pollution?
Air pollution is caused by harmful contaminants, including dust, particulate matter, gases, allergens, and other atmospheric pollutants. N95 anti-pollution masks are capable of filtering up to 95% of dust, PM 2.5 particles, mold, and allergens. Hence, N95 masks ensure effective protection against air pollution, allowing you to breathe filtered air comfortably for a long duration.
2. Do anti-pollution masks work?
Anti-pollution masks work effectively in filtering out dust, particulate matter, allergens, pollen, and other hazardous contaminants from the air. Hence, they offer protection against respiratory problems, including allergies, Sinus, common cold, and Asthma.
However, anti-pollution masks are not effective in removing gaseous pollutants like NO2 and ozone. Respirators offer protection against smoke and gaseous pollutants.
3. Which mask is better for air pollution?
N95 and N99 anti-pollution masks are ideal for urban areas with higher air pollution.
4. Are Air pollution masks reusable?
Most air pollution masks that are washable can be reused. Certain masks can be charged using a micro-USB cable to ensure a longer life. You can check for replaceable filters with an average life span of 25 days each.
Daily commuters, pregnant women, children, elderly individuals, and people prone to respiratory disorders need anti-pollution masks. It safeguards against diseases and respiratory issues like Asthma, Sinus, allergies, etc. We have provided a detailed guide to help you make the right purchase.
You can choose any of the masks mentioned in the list of top 6 anti-pollution masks. The Honeywell PM 2.5 Anti Pollution Mask is our number one recommendation. You can also go for the 3M 9504 INV N95 Dust Pollution Mask. We hope this article helps!