Best Air Purifiers for Bedrooms
Naturally, the quality of your sleep is directly proportional to the quality of the air in your bedroom. If you are allergic and the air around you is filthy, it becomes tough to fall asleep. So getting an appropriate air purifier for your bedroom is an exercise you have to do. Don’t worry if you lack experience. After reading this article, you will be good to go.
The bedroom is meant for sleep among other private entities. It is basically a room you come to relax after a rough day at work in order to replenish energy for the next day. The environment around it has to be in a perfectly clean condition. We may think that our bedroom air is fresh because it is a secluded place usually accessible to the spouses alone in most cases. But air pollutants like pet air, allergens, dust from bedroom stuff like a bed, and much more find the slightest chance to chip in.
An air purifier with a CADR that is less than 350 may be perfectly suitable for a bedroom because the area is normally less than 400 sq. ft. While the ones above that are suitable for living rooms. You have to be exact about the area of your bedroom because if you buy a model that is less effective, it will leave you susceptible to the same air pollutants.
To help you in making the right choice and live a healthy life, we have included a guide. In this guide, you can explore the types of air purifier technology, specifications, buying guide, FAQ, and the top 5 best quiet air purifier for bedroom. Hopefully, your pursuit of choosing a purifier for bedroom will be sufficient with the following details.
Top 5 Air Purifiers for Bedrooms
Specifications for Air Filters
Filters are an integral part of an air purifier because they are tasked with the cleaning process of the air. Their way of operation is by physically eliminating the sizeable airborne particles. So the efficiency of an air purifier purely relies on the type and quality of its filters.
Another reason as to why filters cannot be overlooked in purchasing an air purifier is because the long term costs of the product are highly dependent on them. Filters are the only components of an air purifier that requires periodic replacements. Therefore, durability and lifecycle costs of the filters should be your two key priorities when purchasing an air purifier.
Here are a few types of air filters available:
The high-efficiency particulate air filter (HEPA) is the first type you should look for. HEPA is highly equipped with interlocked fibers that physically eliminates particle pollutants from the air. This type of filters has the ability to filter out at least 99% of the 0.3-micrometer particles from the air. HEPA filters demand frequent cleaning and occasional requirements, which especially multiply in number if you live in dusty environments.
This type of air filter is inclined to providing clean air by adsorbing volatile chemicals. The adsorption process has to reach an equilibrium, something that frustrates the cleaning process as then the process of adsorption has to get to the equilibrium level for it to effectively remove all the pollutants. Otherwise, carbon filters clean the air by converting the gaseous contaminants in it to their solid states.
Some air purifiers feature compound filters that combine their form in three or two in one while others just have multiple filters. It is upon you to determine what works for you at your budget and air cleaning efficiency needs.
Types of Air Purifier Technology
In our article on the best air purifier for your living room, we highlighted the various common types of technologies used in air purifiers. We also discussed the different filters used to clean in air purifiers. In this article, you will be going through some other unique air purifier technologies not mentioned in the other article in this section. Here are a few examples of air purifier technologies you may not be aware of:
Photo-catalytic Oxidation (PCO)
This kind of air purifier technology is very new in the market. Besides preventing the entry of unconditioned air into a building space it also provides good air quality benefits indoors. The ability to oxidize and destroy organic contaminants is what makes photo-catalytic oxidation powerful in cleaning your air.
Titanium dioxide (TiO2) Technology
Calcium carbonate blends with tiny (nano) particles of Titanium Oxide to jointly neutralize the adsorbed acidic gases. The decomposition of pollutant particles begins from the surface by a process called photo-catalysis.
A bioreactor cell attracts charged pollutant particles to rid the microscopic contaminants present in the air, and it also starts an enzymatic action that makes the pollutants harmless. This way they become less reactive and should not worry you if these particles find a way into your ducts.
This system adopts heat sterilization through a ceramic core to kill germs (viruses, allergens, bacteria, fungi, molds, and the likes). Air is heated up to about 200- degree centigrade and then passed through heat transfer plates for cooling and let out. Thermodynamic sterilization neither filters out nor traps pollutant particles. This process only ensures the disease-causing microorganisms in the contaminants have been dealt with.
This is generally a type of photo-catalytic oxidation technology. The process entails catalyst materials and reactive species interacting in an electrochemical process to boost the quantum efficiency. With better quantum efficiency, it becomes easy to adopt a light source with less UVA radiation energy and still achieve maximum efficiency.
Aside from the type of filters, there are so many other factors that must be considered when purchasing an air purifier for the bedroom. The air filter is typically mentioned as a large determining factor because this is an area where the efficiency of the purifier lies.
The different filtration and cleaning system dictates the ability of the purifier to get the air in the target area effectively cleaned. There are several other factors to consider when purchasing an air purifier for your bedroom.
This is especially of critical importance in the bedroom because you deserve a silent night plenty of rest. Unlike the living room, you will need a purifier with lower Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR). In other words, you will need a machine that cleans the air in your bedroom at a slower rate as compared to the one you need for your living room.
Similarly, bedrooms are naturally smaller than the living rooms, with an area of less than 400 sq. ft. So your bedroom is fine with an air purifier that has a CADR value of less than 350.
This can be broken down to the size and weight of the air purifier. Lightweight designs can be shifted from one room to another easily but are less effective in air cleaning. Cumbersome models, on the other hand, are so bulky to carry around but have a great impact on the air around. Recent models have been able to adopt a system which combines the functionalities of an air purifier and a fan. And that’s aimed at achieving both lightweight and efficient models.
Size of the room
You have to be exact and precise when it comes to picking the right purifier for the size of your room. Experts personally insist you interpret the architectural drawings of your building so as to determine the accurate measurement of area. You then should convert the area obtained to square feet before moving on to read from different models to ascertain a figure that’s compatible with the area coverage you require.
Initial & Lifecycle Costs
The first other things that ring in the mind when buying anything is the initial price it costs to buy it. Sequentially followed by the amount that will be spent on repairs and maintenance during the life of the product. It is important to check these types of costs to ensure they fall within your original budget. Changing the air filters is a simple DIY operation that will take you less than five minutes.
1. Mi 2S Air Purifier – Our Pick
Xiaomi has grown to become a tech giant over the years. In fact, it is one of the most innovative internet companies in China. Well-known for selling quality smart home products, smartphones, drones, internet services, and much more -all at very affordable prices.
This Air purifier Mi is a sample of their products and has all that is required as a bedroom purifier. There is a Xiaomi’s app called Mi Home supported by both Android and iOS operating systems. This app is the central control system of all the Xiaomi electronics and appliances you have in your home. Research has in the past shown that people who own Xiaomi smartphones probably have a number of the company’s appliances at home too.
- Operation of the Mi 2S air purifier is ultimately by three modes. There’s the manual mode that’s super noisy and should not be used when you are around. The second type is the auto-mode, which allows for regulation of the fan speed and PM reading. Sleep mode is the third type of control and is the best option for a good night’s sleep.
- The Mi 2S air purifier can be controlled from anywhere using the smart control of the Mi Home app.
- The device features a compact design that produces minimal noise while cleaning the air.
- It comes with the OLED display, which shows the humidity, AQI, and temperature levels.
- It is great for a room of 400 sqft which is generally in the bedroom
- Mi 2S purifier has three distinct layers of filtration. The outermost layer eliminates large air pollutants like dust and pet dander while the middle filtration layer removes smaller particles and bacteria. The innermost layer is lined with highly adsorbent activated carbon that absorbs formaldehyde and other toxic elements of air like a bad odor.
- The Mi 2S features a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 310m2/hr that can efficiently clean air on a 21 square meters room and 2.4 meters high in less than 10 minutes.
- It has a high-quality laser sensor that enables it to instantly detect and reflect particles as tiny as 0.3 micrometers on its OLED screen.
- Comes with 1 year of warranty with the product.
- Easy installation and operation.
- Has a sleek and modern design.
- Seamless control of the device using the smartphone
- It is very effective in purifying the air
- Comes with a child lock system
- The all-in-one single cylindrical filter makes its replacement easy and cheaper.
- Difficulty while cleaning the filters
- becomes noisy in the manual mode
2. Honeywell Room Air Purifier – Excellent air circulation
We chose the Honeywell HAC25M1201W 53-Watt Room Air Purifier in our list because its design does the job quite efficiently. When it comes down to the air circulation system, this type of air purifier has tiny molecular pores strategically placed on the sides and bottoms to allow for the intake of air.
Then pure air is released from the top with the pores on the curvy top surface inclined in a way that lets out air at an angle to allow for the maximum circulation of it. Unlike other purifiers, the Honeywell room model is absolutely free of ozone. The technology adopted in the filtration system does not release harmful gases during the cleaning process.The setting up and use of the Honeywell room air purifier together with its replacement are simple tasks that you can easily do them yourself.
- The number of filters in this type of air purifier is the possible maximum of three
- The surfaces of these filters are absorbent of air pollutants like toxic gases and formaldehyde.
- It removes dirt from the air, frees your nose ducts and respiratory ducts of particle deposits and clogs.
- Honeywell room air purifier has a CADR of 250m3/hr, and for a room that is 9 feet high, the maximum area of coverage is 323 sq. ft.
- The purifier has pre-filter that is washable, and its main function is to absorb large air pollutants dust, smoke, pet hair, and much more.
- This particular air purifier has a child lock function that prevents kids from interfering with its working.
- The front cover of the design features a magnet arrangement that seamlessly opens and closes for air to enter.
- The quality of air in the serviced area is high. There emerges a notable difference between the area with purified air and that of the surroundings.
- Very quiet while it’s functioning
- It’s not bulky and hence can be moved from one room to another
- Both the design and colors are commendable
- The area covered is limited to 323 sq. ft. Larger rooms will require a model with better CADR.
- In full mode, it might become a bit noisy
3. Coway AP-1009 Air Purifier – Sleek Design
Coway is a top-notch Korean company that has an impressive track record in the manufacture of high-quality air purifiers. The AP-1009 purifier is especially suitable for a large bedroom because it has a high Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 303m3/hr. This can effectively clean air in an area of about 33 square meters and free it of any pollutants.
The functionality of this particular air purifier is mainly driven by a sound setup of three filters. Pre-filter comes first to remove all the large air pollutants like dust, pet dander, and human hair. Then the medium deodorization filter comes in second place to eliminate bad smell and cigarette odors. The third filtration mechanism is the HEPA filter that removes tiny air particles, viruses, bacteria, or any other microorganisms in the air. This improves the general quality of air in your bedroom.
- Coway AP-1009 purifier has an Air Quality Indicator (AQI) sensor that is fully functional. It intelligently detects air pollution within the confines of your bedroom.
- There are four levels of speed control for the AP-1009 air purifier. Y
- The HEPA filters adopted in the Coway AP-1009 feature long lifespans. Its expected life cycle is about 8500 hours.
- The air purifier is a sleek design that measures 335mm x 666mm x 205mm and weighs only weighs 7.5kgs.
- The noise levels range between 22-49 decibels, which makes this air purifier suitable for your bedroom as the sound is at acceptable levels.
- 38watts of power consumption
- Comes with 3 years of warranty with the product
- Beautiful sleek design that looks attractive with a polished surface.
- Sensors accurately detect and report the level of air pollution in the room by using light indicators.
- Great design which makes it perfect for installation
- Cleaning and maintenance of the filter is very low
- 3 stage filtration makes it very efficient
- A numerical Air Quality Indicator is missing
- Might be noisy during high speed
4. Purita Bliss HEPA Air Purifier – Four Stage Filtration
Bedrooms are medium-sized, and that’s why Purita Bliss HEPA air purifier is suitable for them. Purita Bliss is an advanced model with a number of elegant features that enhances the air cleaning process. It’s a high performing product with a multi-layer purification system that does not leave a chance to even the tiniest particles. Also, given that it works perfectly in all mid-size rooms, the purifier features a compact design which only weighs 6.2kg for quick portability in between rooms when necessary
- Purita Bliss has its central control system in a touchscreen panel where you can easily adjust the settings to your air circulation needs. This type of control is simple and works faster as compared to app configurations.
- It features a high Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 220m3/hr. This air flow rate is substantial to clean filthy air in a relatively short time efficiently.
- The Purita Bliss air purifier has an operational Air Quality Indicator (AQI) that promptly alerts when the pollution level gets out of hand in your bedroom.
- Unlike most air purifiers, this device sports a filter replacement reminder.
- Purita Bliss can adequately cover an area of 300 sq. ft.
- It comes with an auto mode function that automatically increases or decreases the speed according to the air quality
- The 4-stage filtration has four distinct filters that work independently to eliminate different sizes of air pollutants.
- Comes with 2 years of warranty with the product
- The Purita Bliss air purifier has an up to 8 hours timer.
- Works on both auto and sleep modes.
- The effective multi-layer purification system
- The product is loaded with an array of features
- Cannot be paired with a smartphone for a convenient control through Wi-Fi.
- It emits ozone, which is considered toxic to human beings.
5. JSB HF 131 Air Purifier – Remove Pollutants Effectively
We chose the JSB HF 131 as our top pick for many reasons but mainly for the advanced gadget that it is at such an affordable price. It has a 6-level filtration system that is tightly held in place to remove all sorts of pollutants from the air effectively.
The first stage has a cold catalyst filter that gets rid of antigens and allergens. Step two has activated carbon whose adsorbent surface absorbs harmful chemical elements in the air, including formaldehyde. And stage three is made up of an anti-bacterial filter that purely eliminates any elements of bacteria in the air.
The fourth step guarded by HEPA filters, which removes particles as tiny as 0.1 micron. Destructive pollutants like pet dander, human hair, dust mites, and pollens don’t stand a chance where there are HEPA filters. The fifth stage adopts UV sterilization technology that emits negative ions that freshen the room and also kill viruses and bacteria. The final stage has an ionizer that negatively charges oxygen in order to attract positively charged particles like smoke, bacteria, and viruses.
- The device has a remote control and an LED indicator that enables convenient control of it.
- JSB HF 131 provides room for keeping a mosquito repellent in it.
- It has a moderate size with a lightweight that makes it super portable.
- The build quality, too is okay made of high-end plastic material with a dual tone that looks attractive.
- The JSB HF 131 machine can effectively cover an area of 625 sq. ft. This translates to about 60 square meters.
- It features a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 350m3/hr at a power consumption rate of 50 Watts.
- This machine has timer functions that give you alert reminders whenever an action is required.
- The air filters have relatively long lifespans, about 18 months.
- It is very silent while working
- It has a low consumption power making it economical in its usage
- Simple operation with feather touch buttons
- The auto mode comes really handy for people
- The air purifier improves the quality of air in your living room.
- The ionizer at the final filtration stage emits ozone that harmful to human health.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do air purifiers for bedrooms help you sleep better?
Of course, yes. Air purifiers remove large air pollutants like dust and pet dander. It further frees air of any allergens that might complicate your asthmatic situation from the air. Pollen grains, human hair, viruses, bacteria, and other air pollutants are a thing of the past if you set up an air purifier in your bedroom.
For instance, the common cold is transmitted by viruses, and with effective air cleaning, these viruses are eradicated. This way, you and your family are safe from persistent coughs that usually happen as a result of highly polluted air. The sleep quality therefore increases.
2. Can I leave my air purifier on all night?
An air purifier is an air cleaning machine which if you find the right quality, there will be minimal or less negative effects on your health. Ozone is the only detrimental chemical component that is emitted from ionic air purifiers. So you can leave the purifier running all night without worrying about the side effects. Unless, of course, you want to conserve energy, it is advisable that you reduce the fan speed to the lowest level. This too minimizes the noise levels in your bedroom.
3. What are the benefits of having an air purifier?
As mentioned throughout the article, there are several air purifier benefits. An air purifier is an invaluable accessory in your home. Especially if you live in highly polluted cities like Delhi in India as it helps to reduce the number of times you have to see a doctor requires improved living conditions.
Air purifiers generally make a home habitable by getting rid of allergens, dust, cigarette odors, pollen grains, pet hair, and many other pollutants that make our homes uncomfortable. Not only for the bedroom but also to live healthy in a metro city, you need to install the best air purifiers for living rooms.
4. Do air purifiers really work for dust?
Most advanced air purifiers have a pre-set filter that eliminates the huge air particles like dust and pet dander. However, if you are so specific about getting rid of dust in your home, it is important to look for High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters. They have a high degree of accuracy in filtering out dust. 99% of airborne particles do not survive HEPA filters.
In the pursuit of a smart home, an efficient air purifier is an essential ingredient for you and your kids. Hopefully, the above-mentioned details will become helpful for you to choose the right one for you. We have already included our best air purifiers for bedrooms, but from these top three includes Honeywell room air purifier and Mi 2S Air Purifier.
Your health should be your top priority. Especially in the world today, where complications relating to the respiratory system are on the rise. Asbestos alone is reported to be the cause of more than 100,000 deaths every year. Prevention is still better than cure. Find an air purifier that works best for you at your budget to enhance the quality of life in your home.