Best Air Purifiers for Home for Living Room
The air we breathe is full of toxic substances geared primarily by the escalating rate of air pollution that is being propelled by the growing number of manufacturing industries.
Our homes are not safe, either. Even the fresh air that we perceive as clean may contain dust, pet dander, pollen, or allergen. It is therefore essential to have all your rooms in your home supplied with an appropriate air purifier.
There comes the task of finding the right air purifiers for a home with the correct size, model, and excellent efficiency among many other factors. Undoubtedly there are numerous benefits of air purifiers installed at your home, but only when you make the right purchase, you can enjoy its benefits. This process can be challenging, but keep in mind that there is always the right model for you at a price you can afford.
This article is dedicated to the purity of the air in your living room. The living room is a ‘chill spot’ for most people. For this reason, it is essential to be systematic in choosing its air purifier. Oh, and most of your visitors usually hit the living room first so the good impression of your home should begin from here.
Therefore installing an air purifier for living rooms can truly become a great addition. But this requires having comprehensive knowledge of the air purifier and what is the best type for your living room. To aid you in making the right choice, today we will go through a guide that comprises the types of air purifiers, specification of these products, smart buying guide, FAQs, and the top 6 best air purifiers Delhi.
5 Best Air Purifiers for Home
Specifications of a Living Room Air Purifier
There are properties of air purifiers that are specific to living rooms alone in our homes, which is mostly advocated by the large nature of their size. Since this is a place you all interact freely with every member of the family, it is crucial to keep it hygienic. Always read the labels to pinpoint the following properties when purchasing an air purifier for your living room:
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR)
This technically means how fast the air your living room can get cleaned up. The rate for measuring CADR is cubic meters per hour (m3/hr). If the volume of filtered air delivered by the purifier is per unit time, then that means higher speed of cleaning. Better CADR is always desirable for fresh air at home. At least 350 CADR is suitable for a room that is larger than 400 sq.ft.
- Coverage Area
One of the most important aspects of an air purifier is the area of air it will effectively clean at the CADR level in the range provided. In line with the model, you want to choose; it is important to determine the area of your living room. The time it takes to clean the air in an area is of essence too.
Types of Air Purifiers
Before moving on to the qualities of a living room air purifier, it is important that we discuss the popular types of air purifiers available in the market. The difference is mainly based on the kind of technology used in their manufacture because the technology basically determines the air cleaning method used by the device. The techniques commonly used in air purifiers include:
Activated Carbon Filters-
Carbon that has been activated is one that has undergone processing in order to be porous and provide a large surface area for absorption. It has been used over the years and in the distant past it was useful in water purification and discoloring of sugar. So the activated carbon filters consist of multiple molecule-sized pores that have a high rate of absorption.
It uses the high absorbent property to trap dust particles, smoke, tobacco, chemical substances, and much more. You are all safe from the chemicals that get emitted from the carpet, wall finishes, and furniture parts because activated carbon filters absorb formaldehyde.
This type of filter works on the principle of electrostatics. These filters operate by first charging the air particles in the target area followed by filtration and collection of the charged particles within the confines of the machine. You can then extract the plates used in trapping the charged particles to clean and wash them.
Ozone Generators & Ionizers-
The working of ozone and ionizers is almost the same because they emit charged ozone or ions to charge the neutral pollutant particles in the air. But these two methods are considered less effective as compared to other purposes as they only create a virtual wall between you and the polluted air instead of actually cleaning it.
The devices under any circumstances, absorb or dispose of the contaminants in the air. The charged ions, ozone, and pollutant particles stick together and sink into floor or furniture surfaces rather than float in the air.
UV light works by discriminately destroying germs like viruses and bacteria without bothering the particles in the air. A UV lamp is mounted on every air purifier that uses the UV technology in cleaning the air.
The technology converts oxygen and water molecules into chemical components that neutralize air pollutants in your home. The efficiency of the air purifiers that employ UV technology relies on the amount of power consumed by the light and the length of the duration it was exposed to the light.
HEPA initials stand for high-efficiency particulate air. A HEPA filter as per the European Standards must remove 99.95% of all the 0.3-micron particles in the air that passes through it. The HEPA filters are useful in air purifiers because it helps remove dust mites, cigarette smoke, pet dander, pollen, and many other pollutants that can be found in the air.
Having ensured you have confirmed if you have the right CADR in your room, the next step requires more attention. It involves finding out the distinct features of the models whose CADR falls within your range. In other words, if the sitting room of your home is 1000 sq.ft, you will need to check various models in the category that has at least 350 CADR to see which will adequately cover the area of your living room.
There are many other factors to compare different models of air purifiers. These range from the needs you demand in an air purifier, its price segment, the special features you may be interested in, and if there’s a specific condition you want to buy it for. For instance, if you often suffer from conditions of an asthma attack, you may want to buy an asthma air purifier that removes odor and chemicals from the air. Let’s now look at a few features you should consider when buying air purifiers on Amazon:
The maintenance costs may seem negligible from a straight thought, but they cumulatively make an air purifier expensive in its life cycle. That’s why it is crucial to consider the duration of the product together with the level of maintenance it requires throughout its life.
For instance, the activated carbon filter, which is a component part of an air purifier, has a short lifespan of 6 months. That means you have to be ready to spend on an activated carbon filter every six months. The most recent air purifier models have taken an economical move by adopting only one combination filter that requires regular replacements.
There is always a personal reason behind every customer that buys an air purifier, and that could be to protect one against toxic substances and chemicals in the air. Examples of air components that are harmful to human health include smoke, pet dander & odor, chemicals, indoor allergens, and much more.
You buy a home air purifier based on one or more of the components. The environment around you determines the purity of the air you breathe. So if you live in a highly polluted city, you will have more reasons to buy an effective air purifier that takes care of many toxins in the air.
Earlier on, we discussed coverage area and the Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR), but we now have to dig deeper into the size and what it means for an air purifier. You have to be accurate in the measurement of the area you desire to purify its air. We highly recommend that you have a quick look at the architectural drawings to determine the exact area of the portion you have designated to be air purified.
The area is arrived at by multiplying the parameters of length and breadth. This way, you are bound to be accurate and exact because the step that follows involves finding an air purifier that can cover an area equivalent to the size of your living room. The air purifier for the bedroom wouldn’t be sufficient to purify a larger room.
Patients who are asthmatic or allergic have a special treat with their customized air purifiers meant to contain their conditions. A critical factor to consider when buying an air purifier that will work for asthma patients is to keep an eye on its air change rate per hour (ACH). The ACH factor illustrates the rate at which the air purifier can clean the whole volume of the air in the treatment space every hour.
The whole point in an air purifier is to filter the air of dangerous particles and chemicals. So the quality of the filters is a non-negotiable factor when purchasing or replacing an air purifier. As for the number of filters usually a very efficient air purifier will have at least 3 filters; a pre-filter that cleans the raw air, a more advanced HEPA filter, and an activated carbon filter.
The quality of air filters overpowers the number because even for an air purifier that has all the 3 filters but of poor quality will be less efficient. The grade of the filters, together with the technology adopted in their designs is a huge determinant of the quality of their operations.
Top 5 Air Purifiers
1. Philips 2000 Air Purifier – Our Pick- Aerodynamic Design
According to Euromonitor International, Philips is the best manufacturer for air purifiers in India. This air purifier Philips is an elegant air purifier with an aerodynamic design that allows for the efficient flow of air.
The working of this machine is mainly based on three operation modes; an allergen mode that is super sensitive, a general mode and a bacteria & virus mode. Depending on your individual needs, you can switch between the modes so as to attain maximum purification of the air in your living room. Oh, and the modes are automatic by the way. So you can preset your preferred mode in advance as per your requirements.
- The Philips 2000 has a high Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 344m3/hr which can effectively purify the air in a maximum area of 441 sq. ft. This loosely translates to 41 sq. meters.
- The machine incorporates HEPA filters in its air purification system. Hence it must be able to remove 99.95% of particles from the air that passes through it.
- It operates with minimum noise levels producing only about 20.5 decibels.
- The User Interface (UI) together with the AQI display features smart light control.
- Philips 2000 sports an AeraSense technology that intelligently detects smaller particles even as tiny as PM2.5.
- It comes with 2 years of warranty.
- It requires 60Watt of power to remove the pollutants
- The device is one of the few that have touch screens in the market.
- The difference of the air can be felt in the room
- The auto mode is very effective
- It has a very convenient volume and size
- It comes with spare filters.
- Assembling is superb
- It lacks a remote control.
2. Honeywell HAC35M1101G Air Purifier – Finely Polished Golden Look
This Honeywell not only purifies the air in your living room but also provides good aesthetics that will surely earn you credit from your visitors. It has a vibrant golden look with a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) ranging at 300m3/hr. This rate can adequately clean a 42 square meter area efficiently with ease.
The machine also features long-life filters that perfectly work for about 3000 hours before a replacement is needed. The installation of the device is simple and replacing the filters to is a DIY task.
- It has a huge base that prevents it from toppling over when slightly pushed.
- Honeywell HAC35M1101G has a smooth touch panel control that sports a 3-color indicator.
- It comes with 18 months of warranty with the product.
- With the auto-mode turned on, the device is prompted to clean the air around when pollution levels become suspicious.
- Does not emit any toxic gases in the air
- It has a life of approximately 3000 hours
- Installation is very simple when followed the instructions properly
- It has an inbuilt sleep mode that minimizes noise levels at night.
- Very easy to operate
- Super effective auto mode
- Visible differences can be witnessed by the use of this machine
- The effective and sensitive touch panel
- The power cable is limited to only 2 meters.
- The plug pins are super thin and come out of the sockets easily.
3. Dyson Pure Cool Air Purifier – Modern Sleek Design
The Dyson Pure is an improved air purifier that looks modern and incorporates an amazing technology. Starting from advanced sensor technology to the 360-degree Glass HEPA filters and to compatibility with the Dyson Link App.
The Glass HEPA filters are sophisticated and vacuum sealed in order to avoid leaking back of harmful pollutants into the air. The machine also includes an activated carbon filter that features Tris impregnation. And that basically means the carbon is three times more activated as compared to the predecessors. Besides formaldehyde, Tris impregnation enables carbon to absorb other harmful gases like Nitrogen and Benzene.
- The device supports both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to enable you to control its settings remotely from your phone.
- The device will automatically sense and report you regarding the air quality level.
- 350-degree oscillation improves efficiency.
- Dyson air purifier can work effectively on a maximum of 450 sq. ft.
- There are three different sensors serving various purposes.
- The LCD screen on the device displays the information about the air pollutants.
- The Dyson air purifier has a filter replacement reminder that informs you when you need some new filters.
- Comes with 2 years of warranty with the product.
- It is certified by AAFA which means it is certified as Allergy and Asthma friendly
- This device has a unique Air Multiplier technology called Project Powerful Airflow.
- It produces more than 290 liters per second of smooth, strong air flow.
- It has 10 airspeed settings where you adjust to your needs.
- Easy to clean and has moderately spinning blades, so it’s safe for your fingers.
- It is very efficient is removing bad odour along with fixes the humidity
- It is a high-quality purifier
- It is known for its unmatched functionality
- Does not make any noise
- Filters sometimes get clogged due to heavy pollution of India
4. iCube Air Tower Air Purifier – 4-Stage Purification
The iCube Air Tower purifier is best suitable for your living room and has four filters that work concurrently to purify the air. The pre-filter comes first to filter out large particles of air then the HEPA filters absorb harmful chemicals. These two filters are preceded by activated carbon and ionizer filters. In the respective order, the former absorbs harmful substances to its surface while the latter ionizes to negatively charge the air so as to attract positive particles in it.
- The Air Quality Indicator (AQI) digitally displays the quality of air in the surrounding.
- iCube shows good air quality within the range of 20-70 while a high level of pollution displays 201-300.
- iCube Air Tower features a Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR) of 430m3/hr.
- The ionizer has the capacity to emit about 10 million negatively charged ions that efficiently charges the air to negative.
- 4 stage purification becomes really very helpful for people
- Comes with 1 year of warranty with the product
- The device can conveniently air clean a maximum area of 485 square meters.
- The machine comes at a pocket-friendly price.
- The display is big and therefore becomes very helpful
- It is aesthetically pleasing.
- It has a good quality build.
- It does effectively what it claims to do
- The ionizer filter emits ozone.
5. Dr. Morepen Air Purifier – Simplicity & Health
Dr. Morepen is a simple air purifier with great HEPA technology filters for the perfect quality of air in your living room. Despite the simplicity of the outlook, it really works magic and effectively cleans an area equivalent to 400 sq. ft.
It features a short compact design with a height that measures 43cm while the breadth and thickness are 38.6cm and 15.9cm, respectively. Its power consumption rate is also considerably low at 49W.
- The device features an 8-hour timer. This gives you some sense of convenience.
- The HEPA filters used in Dr. Morepen air purifier have a lining of an anti-bacterial on its surface to enable it to destroy all the bacteria and germs in the air.
- The size of this product is 38.6cm x D 15.9cm x H 43cm
- The built-in ionizer consistently emits negative ions. This charges the air and attracts the positively charged pollutants. The overall result is the feeling of freshness in the air.
- It has a power consumption of 49W.
- Dr. Morepen features a filter replacement indicator
- There are 3-speed air flow options available for controlling the machine.
- This machine has a commendable performance
- The design is truly great
- It does not make any noise
- It eliminates about 99% of pollutants in the air.
- Requires regular maintenance by replacement of filters which might be costly. The thin HEPA filters wear out real fast.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will an air purifier remove mold?
Yes. The size of mold spores ranges from 1 to 30 microns. An air purifier is efficient in air cleaning and can remove particles as tiny as 0.003 microns. Thus it is safe to say you can deal with molds with an air purifier. Additionally, a purifier that works using the principle of UV technology can be so diligent in eradicating mold spores but is not an entirely compulsory thing because most mold spores die in the complex system of HEPA filters anyway.
2. Where should an air purifier be placed in a room?
It is essential to place your air purifier in a wall corner where it gets sufficient flow of air in the room. Keeping the purifier in the center of your living room where there is plenty of air supply would have been more ideal but then inconvenient because then it will be a huge barrier in the sitting room. So place it by the wall and preferably adjacent to a window or ventilation where it can get an adequate supply of air.
3. Can I buy an air purifier too big for a room?
The size of an air purifier does not matter as long as it occupies reasonable space in your living room. The important thing is to find a model that sufficiently cleans your entire room within a short time. So check the Clean Air Delivery Rate and effective area a purifier can clean to find out the figures that will work for you.
4. Can I use a humidifier and air purifier at the same time?
An air purifier can surely work alongside a humidifier to improve the air conditions in your home. This consequently improves the health conditions of you and your family because they both serve different purposes all aimed at making the air you breathe healthier.
5. Is air purifier necessary in Delhi?
The Air Quality Index in Delhi in November 2019 is 999, whereas many days it was noted to be above 999. One breathes a lot of Volatile Organic Compounds, dangerous and fumes. An air purifier is essential for Delhi pollution which filters the air of the harmful compounds and lets you breathe cleaner air.
The living room is where you spent the better part of your day at home. While it is easier to overlook the importance of good quality air quality in such a room, you have to look deeper into it. We have collected the top 6 best air purifiers online for the living room from which the top 3 include Philips 2000 Air Purifier, Honeywell Air Touch HAC35M1101G Room Air Purifier and Dyson Pure Cool Air Purifier.
Consider the number of movements in your living and all the other sources of pollution like pet hair, dust, and bacteria. The solution is to buy an effective air purifier that will get rid of all these substances in order to make your living room a conducive environment for you and your kids.