Best Navigation Devices
GPS devices have become a must-have accessory in vehicles nowadays. Although GPS feature is available in our smartphones, it is not convenient to use as you need a dedicated holder. You also cannot use the phone while it navigates for you.
Driving with a GPS device can make your travelling time much easier. It solves all the problems faced in smartphone navigation. It helps you in navigating correctly and making sure you do not make wrong turns at any point.
Apart from giving directions, it also tells you the distance to your destination, the time required to reach, and the traffic along your route. This allows you to make informed decisions before leaving your home or office.
This article provides you with information related to different types of navigation devices, Advantages of navigation devices, how navigation works and how it is useful. Also, provided a buying guide for easy buying, few best picks, and FAQ.
5 Best Navigation Devices in India
How does navigation work?
Every navigation device works with the GPS-Global Positioning System. GPS provides the current location and time, no matter where ever you are on earth.
They work well in all climatic conditions. Radio signals are transmitted from the receiver to the satellite. At any point in time, you will be in light of sight of 3 to 4 GPS satellites.
Based on the trilateration process, your exact location will be known. It is calculated by calculating the time taken to receive the signal from the sender.
Your GPS may also face interference with other signals. Thus navigation device tries to avoid any other obstruction and provide accurate information.
How navigation device is useful?
- A navigation device is useful to know the precise location.
- It helps in providing an exact time to your destination.
- It is useful to travel from one place to other places during long drives or adventurous trips or trekking.
- Also, it provides you with the details of nearby places when you are in an emergency or even in a joyride.
Advantages of navigation devices
- Navigation devices allow you to reach your destination without getting lost.
- Now, you can enjoy your trip with a planned route.
- Finding destinations like hotels, ATM, hospitals, restaurants, petrol pumps will be easy.
- The most significant advantage of a navigation device is time-saving.
- The navigation device gives you updated traffic information.
- Managing multiple destinations become easier.
- Few navigation devices provide you with the weather conditions of the destination you are looking
- Using a navigation device is easy as the user has to just put in the destination and the rest of the route is shown by the device itself.
- Moreover, using a navigation device is safer than asking a stranger for a route.
How navigation devices are better than the smartphone navigation system
A smartphone navigation system uses phone data and battery. While your navigation device never needs runs on car battery.
The smartphone might lose signal in far off place whereas the navigation device will show you the accurate location no matter where you are.
Also, a dedicated navigation device never interrupts your map, which is the possibility while you are using phone maps. Often, maps get interrupted on the phone when you receive calls or text.
Above all, a navigation device is more comfortable to use, convenient, and practical, providing hassle-free navigation.
You can simultaneously talk over the phone and follow the directions as shown by the device.
Types of navigation devices
OEM is abbreviated as Original Equipment Manufacturer navigation. It is pre-installed in the car and is made by the car company itself.
OEM navigation provides you with the details of climatic conditions, navigation routes, traffic routes, engine condition. Though few vehicles won’t offer OEM navigation devices, they offer wiring and a place to fix the external device from a different manufacturer.
OEM devices provide radio, music and entertainment options along with navigation. The OEM navigation is also known as integrated GPS navigation.
Standalone navigation is easy to use and less costly. They can be used in any car or vehicle. It is a portable navigation device. The standalone navigation will receive frequent map updates, so the map is never out of date.
The handheld navigation devices will have either button options or touch screen options to access the menu. A handheld navigation device is more comfortable to carry and travel around, especially while you are trekking or hiking.
Also, they are better than smartphones because your smartphone may lose network connectivity in a few areas. But a handheld navigation device does not depend on mobile network connections.
GPS trackers are for vehicles. They are small in size and sometimes even smaller than a smartphone. We have two types of GPS tracker navigation: passive navigation and active navigation.
Passive devices store the information in memory and never send the data anywhere. The stored data can be retrieved whenever needed, while active devices send the data to either a computer or phone.
Active trackers or real-time trackers track the live location and speed of a vehicle.
It is an important factor to be considered. The screen must be clear for easy visibility. The screen should be large enough so that the map is easily viewable.
Live Information and Multiple Connection
To get accurate timing and location, your navigation device must be capable of connecting a minimum of three satellites. A device that can connect three or more satellites will display precise time and location while others will be slower.
Multiple satellite connections also allow you to receive current time and location, including live traffic updates.
Maps and Updates
The traffic on the roads change constantly. Also, there might be some construction work or accidents along your route that you may want to know about. Your device must be capable of showing the current changes in maps.
Choose a device that has the capability of storing additional maps for future use.
A voice assistant helps you stay on the correct route without having to look at the device. It uses audio cues to tell you to turn left, right, or go straight to keep you on track.
The GPS receiver must be of good quality to show you the precise time and location. If the receiver is of poor quality, then it shows the inaccurate vehicle position.
Few GPS navigation systems provide you with a feature called voice input. A voice input helps when you want to change the path or route of the set destination without taking a halt.
This feature provides entertainment during boredom. Using Bluetooth, you can connect the device to your smartphone and listen to music while travelling.
Many devices provide you with alerts like battery alert, emergency alert, over-speed alert, and wrong route alert. This will help you rectify the issue immediately.
5 Best Navigation Devices
1. MapmyIndia MMI LX 350 Portable Navigation Device – Our best Pick
MapmyIndia is a Delhi-based company whose products and services include navigation, maps & traffic, telematics, and IOT, analytics.
The Lx350 portable navigation device provides 3D navigation, which starts automatically as soon as you switch on your car. The device can also be used as an entertainment device. Additionally, the device also doubles up as an e-book reader.
- The product includes LX350 GPS, a car charger, windshield mount, USB cable, user guide, and warranty card.
- Screen size is 12.7cm.
- You can play audio or video from the stored SD card and internal memory.
- The device automatically turns on or off in sync with the car.
- User-friendly interface.
- Works well even in remote areas.
- It works offline.
- No voice navigation.
2. Garmin 010-01532-0C Drive – Dual-orientation display
Garmin has a wide range of products in categories like automobiles, sports & fitness, marine, aviation, sensors, cameras, wearables, outdoor recreation. It is a leading manufacturer and has cutting edge GPS navigation products.
The device is easy to use and comes with a dual-orientation display. It provides alert such as sharp curves, school zones, speed change and much more.
It provides directions with the help of automated voice. It comes with a 5 inch screen size and touchscreen interface. It is preloaded with many maps.
- The device has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels.
- It displays current speed, current street name and current time with dedicated GPS.
- Also, the device alerts the driver with information like red light, camera, sharp curves, school zone, speed change and much more.
- It alerts the driver when taking the wrong route.
- Informative split screen.
- Speed limit signs.
- Offline navigation.
- The exact address must be mentioned.
- The user interface can be improved.
3. Akari Gt02A GPS Tracker Device – Budget-friendly
Gto2A is the product of Akari Global Company Limited. They manufacture their products using the latest technology. The company provides customers with the high quality products at an affordable price.
The device needs a SIM card to operate. If you want to know the location of the vehicle, send a text message to it, and you receive a message showing the location.
You can track the vehicle using a map feature. Gto2A comes with a one-year warranty. The device has a travel history function. It is ideal for live tracking of cars and motorbikes.
- The device can be tracked at any point in time with the help of message or mobile app or from laptop or desktop.
- A manual is provided for easy installation.
- The device comes with a one-year warranty.
- Compact and easy to install.
- Tracks the exact location.
- Provides real-time monitoring.
- Not waterproof.
4. GT06N GPS Vehicle Tracking Device GT06N – ACC monitoring
The company provides high-quality tracking devices for cars and motorbikes. These devices are easy to use and have great features for convenience.
GTo6N has anti-theft protection and ACC monitoring. Also, the vehicle can be immobilized if necessary and has the engine on/off control. Tracking reports can be obtained.
The device has a low battery alarm, over speed alarm and an emergency alarm. The product is ideal for company cabs, transport trucks and bikers.
- The device provides live traffic updates with the help of Google maps.
- It comes with built-in battery.
- Auto tracking facility with address and location map.
- The device has the feature of low battery alarm, emergency alarm.
- Is compatible with mobile apps android or iPhone.
- Tracking can be done either through GPS or SMS.
- Moreover, it is easy to access the trip report, stoppage report and travel history.
- Good quality product.
- Easy tracking.
- The device comes with anti-theft protection and ACC monitoring.
- The device is not waterproof.
5. Garmin Etrex 30x Handheld GPS – Sunlight readable display
Garmin is the leading company in the field of aviation, automobiles, marine and fitness technologies. They have cutting-edge GPS navigation products.
Garmin handheld GPS comes with in-built sensors, preloaded base maps, internal memory. A sunlight-readable display is provided.
The device is portable and can be easily carried during trekking, hiking, or adventurous trips. The product comes with one year warranty against manufacturer defects.
- The product includes a GPS device, a USB cable and a user manual.
- It has in-built sensors, a compass and a barometric altimeter.
- The device comes with a preloaded worldwide base map.
- Etrex 30X has an internal memory of 3.7GB.
- A slot is provided for SD card.
- The resolution is 240 x 320 pixels.
- Product is excellent to use while hiking, camping and exploring in the wilderness.
- Easy to use.
- The device comes with navigation buttons.
- No negative points observed so far.
Frequently Asked Questions
How accurate are navigation devices?
Navigation devices are accurate as they constantly calculate and update the current position.
However, sometimes navigation devices cannot catch the signal properly due blockage, radio interference or improper designed devices.
Can we update maps?
Yes, we can update maps. Depending upon the brand you buy, you have the option of updating maps. They allow you to update maps and store them in the built-in memory.
With all the information provided in this article including buying guide, tips and a wide range of reviewed products, we are sure you will be able to choose the best one for your needs.