Best Navigation Devices
A navigation device makes navigation more accurate and easier. Here is the list of the best navigation GPS devices from top brands like Garmin.
GPS was developed for the military requirement by US people. But nowadays GPS is taking an essential role in our life. A GPS helps in easy navigation from one place to another. Also, it helps to know the exact location or current location of the vehicle.
How can we use GPS? Every navigation device comes with a GPS, which helps you in need. A GPS navigation device provides you with safe assistance when you are traveling to a different place. Also, it helps you know about the current location.
Safety and trustworthiness are two critical points when we talk about the navigation system. How are they important? We come across news like the truck person has escaped from the vehicle by taking valuable goods. In such situations, safety and trust are two important things to talk about. A navigation device helps you know about the current vehicle location, time and also informs the route the vehicle traveled.
This article provides you with information related to different types of navigation devices, Advantages od navigation devices, how navigation works and how it is useful. Also, provided a buying guide for easy buying, few best picks, and FAQ.
7 Best Navigation Devices
Our best Pick
Reverse camera input
Sunlight readable display
How does navigation work?
Every navigation device works on GPS-Global Positioning System. GPS provides the current location and time, no matter where ever you are on earth. Also, they work well in all climatic conditions. Radio signals are transmitted from the receiver to the satellite. At any point in time, your GPS will be in light of sight to 3 to 4 GPS satellites.
Based on the trilateration process, your exact location will be known. It is calculated by calculating the time taken to receive the signal from the sender.
However, the more your device is connected to the satellite; the more accurate your location will be displayed. In the meantime, your GPS may also face interference with other signals. Thus navigation device tries to avoid any other obstruction and provide accurate information.
How navigation device is useful?
- A navigation device is useful to know the precise location
- It helps in providing an exact time
- It is useful to travel from one place to other places during long drives or adventurous trips or trekking
- Also, it provides you with the details of nearby places when you are in an emergency or even when you move for a fun ride
- Moreover, it is useful in delivering safe assistance through maps when you are alone or in groups at any point in time
Advantages of navigation devices
- Navigation devices allow you to reach your destination accurately
- You will never be lost in an unknown place
- Now, you can enjoy your trip with a planned route
- Finding destinations like hotels, ATM, hospitals, the restaurant will be easy
- The most significant advantage of a navigation device is time-saving
- Also, the navigation device allows you to get updated traffic information
- Managing multiple destinations become easier
- Few navigation devices provide you with the weather conditions of the destination you are looking
- Using a navigation device is easy as the user has to fill the destination details and the rest of the route is shown by the device itself
- Moreover, using a navigation device is safer than asking a stranger for a route
How navigation devices are better than the smartphone navigation system
A Smartphone navigation system uses phone data, phone battery. While your navigation device never needs phone data or phone battery. Also, phone data becomes costly if it is used for a longer duration of time or continuously in a day. Phone data takes much time to show accurate data due to bad signals. While a navigation device never troubles you in showing the exact location and direction.
If you are using a smartphone for the directions and unfortunately you forget the charger, then you will be left with no chance of catching the directions. Also, a dedicated navigation device never interrupts your map, which is the possibility while you are using phone maps. Often, maps get interrupted on the phone when you receive calls or text.
Above all, a navigation device is more comfortable to use, convenient, and practical, providing hassle-free navigation. Also, you can simultaneously talk over the phone and follow the directions as shown by the device. Moreover, the navigation device comes with a point of interest that shows the interesting places near and around your location.
Types of navigation devices
OEM is abbreviated as Original Equipment Manufacturer navigation. It is offered by the brand of the vehicle itself. It is in-built in the vehicle.
OEM navigation provides you with the details of climatic conditions, navigation routes, traffic routes, engine condition. Though few vehicles won’t offer OEM navigation devices, yet they offer wiring and a place to fix the external device from a different manufacturer.
Also, OEM devices provide radio, music and entertainment options along with navigation. The OEM navigation is also known as integrated GPS navigation.
Standalone navigation is easy to use and less costly. They can fit or used in any car or vehicle. It is a portable navigation device. Also, it can be used during trips or adventures for routes and better than a smartphone.
Moreover, standalone navigation will receive frequent map updates, and thus traveling will be more comfortable. You can easily mount this standalone navigation device in your car.
The handheld navigation devices will have either button options or touch screen options to access the menu. A handheld navigation device is more comfortable to carry and travel around, especially while you are trekking or hiking.
Also, they are better than smartphones because your smartphone may lose network connectivity in a few areas. While a handheld navigation device does not depend on mobile network connections. Many handheld navigation devices are waterproof and can be used even while fishing or in rains.
GPS trackers are for vehicles. They are small in size and sometimes even small than a smartphone. We have two types of GPS tracker navigation- passive navigation and active navigation.
Passive devices store the information in memory and never send the data anywhere. The stored data can be retrieved whenever needed, while active devices send the data to either a computer or phone.
Active trackers or real-time trackers always have the chance of knowing where the vehicle is and also the speed of the vehicle.
It is an important factor to be considered. The screen must be clear for easy visibility. Also, it must be large so that while you are looking for maps, you feel comfortable and ease. Moreover, if you want to mount the portable navigation device in your car, then the visibility from a distance must be hassle-free.
Live Information and Multiple Connection
As we have seen that for you to get accurate timing and location, your navigation device must be capable of connecting a minimum of three satellites. A device that can connect three or more satellites will display precise time and location while others will be slower.
Multiple satellite connections also allow you to receive current time and location, including live traffics.
Maps and Updates
The traffic on the roads will be continually changing. Also, changes like the construction of bridges and roads, point of interest, street names takes place regularly.
So, your device must be capable of showing the current changes in maps. Moreover, choose a device that has map updates. Thus you can follow the destination with an updated map when you are traveling around.
Every navigation device must have an auto-routing facility. If any time you change your path, it must be directed to your destination without any disturbance. Ensure that you must not deviate from your path.
Choose a device that has the capability of storing additional maps for future use. For example, if you planned a trip for two different countries, then you need two different maps. Hence, a device with good storage capacity must be capable of storing both the maps.
Many GPS come with this feature. This audible voice helps you to travel in the wrong direction. System generated voice will be guiding you to travel and stop when necessary.
Few navigation systems have an audible voice that is difficult to understand. Ensure that the device which has an audible voice must be clear and easy to understand.
The GPS receiver must be of good quality to show you the precise time and location. If the receiver is of poor quality, then it shows the accurate vehicle position and time.
Few GPS navigation systems provide you with a feature called voice input. A voice input helps when you want to change the path or route of the set destination in between traveling. Voice inputs help in making the alterations easily.
As we know that the GPS works precisely when it is in line of sight to three or more satellites. Apart from time and location details, the navigation systems are also capable of providing live traffic reports like slow traffic, moderate traffic, and heavy traffic.
Not every device needs to come with Bluetooth connectivity. However, the device which has the BT option aids in browsing the photos, listening to music, and playing videos.
This option provides entertainment during boredom. Ensure that the device you are buying with the BT option establishes proper connectivity within the specified range.
Many devices provide you with alerts like battery alert, emergency alert, over-speed alert, and wrong route alert. Trackers that come with such kinds of alerts are beneficial.
The driver in the vehicle will be receiving the alert as well as the person who is tracking. Moreover, few devices have the facility of switching off the engine when the driver is driving with over speed.
7 Best Navigation Devices
1. MapmyIndia MMI LX 350 Portable Navigation Device – Our best Pick
MapmyIndia was founded in 1922 in Delhi. Initially, they started web mapping. Their products and services include navigation, maps & traffic, telematics, and IOT, analytics.
A GPS navigation service called Road Pilot was launched. Also, the launched digital mapping portal that helps to provide customized location-based services. Moreover, they offer web mapping services for both desktop and mobile phones.
The portable navigation device works based on satellite. Lx350 provides 3D navigation, which starts automatically as soon as you switch on your car. Also, the device helps in entertaining you when you are bored with easy browsing of photos, listening to music, and watching a video. Additionally, the device comes with an E-book reader.
- The product includes LX350 GPS, car charger, windshield mount, USB cable, user guide, and warranty card
- Screen size is 12.7cm
- The product provides 3D navigation
- LX350 provides touch screen option, music and video option, navigation facility with in-built maps, and E-book reader
- Now, you can play audio or video from the stored SD card and internal memory
- The device is capable of switching on/off when the car is on/off
- Also, it comes with three classic puzzles
- The navigation starts with your device automatically
- User-Friendly interface
- Works well even in remote areas
- It works offline
- No voice navigation
2. Garmin 010-01532-0C Drive – Dual-orientation display
Garmin has a wide range of category of products that includes automotive, sports & fitness, marine, aviation, sensors, cameras, wearables, outdoor recreation. Garmin was founded in 1989. Their leading manufacturer and has cutting edge GPS navigation products.
They started by integrating cockpit navigation devices into one design. They provide customer satisfied products. Also, their products are available all over the world.
The device is easy to use and comes with a dual-orientation display. It provides alert such as sharp curves, school zones, speed change and much more. Provides voice directions when to take a turn or left or right. It comes with a 5inch screen size and touchscreen device interface. Moreover, it comes with preloaded maps.
- The device has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels
- It displays current speed, current street name and current time with dedicated GPS
- Also, the device alerts the driver with information like red light, camera, sharp curves, school zone, speed change and much more
- Moreover, it alerts the driver when he is on the wrong route and travelling in a one-way direction
- The device produces voice directions for easy and better understanding
- Additionally, a search field is provided to enter the address of your destination quicker and easier
- Informative split screen
- Clear up next option
- Speed limit signs
- Offline navigation
- The exact address must be mentioned
- A user interface can be improved
3. Akari Gt02A GPS Tracker Device – Budget-friendly
Gto2A is the product of Akari Global Company Limited, and it is popularly known for its brand. They manufacture their products using the high-quality latest technology. Also, they offer to service their products when needed. The company provides customers with the latest technology products at an affordable price. The list of their products includes rechargeable fans, headlamps, speakers, batteries, flashlights, and more.
The device needs a SIM card. If you want to know the location of the vehicle, send a text message to it, and you receive a message showing the location. You can track the vehicle using a map feature. Gto2A comes with a one-year warranty. Also, the device has a travel history. Moreover, it is ideal for cars and motorbikes for live tracking.
- The device is can be tracked at any point in time with the help of message or mobile app or from laptop or desktop
- Now, you can track total KM and travel history on google map
- A manual is provided for easy installation, and also, a website license and a one-year app is included
- The device comes with a one-year warranty and expires if the app is not used
- Easy insertion of SIM card of Airtel/Vodafone/BSNL/IDEA
- The SIM card is mandatory to know a live tracking
- Good customer service
- Compact and easy to install
- Tracks the exact location
- Provides real-time monitoring
- Not waterproof
- No clear instruction manual
4. MapmyIndia Icenav 301 Navigation System – Reverse camera input
MapmyIndia is a Delhi based company that was founded in 1992. In 2004, they launched the first Indian digital mapping website. The company offers GIS services, location-based Saas, telematics, and digital map data.
They work on web mapping technology and offer products as well as services. It also provides advanced GPS tracking devices, car trackers, rear-seat entertainment, and much more.
The device has the facility of customized wallpapers, ability to set illumination colors. It provides good quality sound. Also, it has reverse camera support and a good view of maps with a large screen. Moreover, the product is available for an affordable price only with excellent facilities.
- The device comes with a premium look
- Steering wheel control is provided for easy operation
- A slot for additional memory and USB pen drive is included -USD/SD card slot
- Now, you can listen to music or watch videos that are stored in pen drive by simple plug-and-play connection
- Menu button helps in easy access to menu items
- Inbuilt radio for entertainment
- Also, the screen size is large and is touch-operated
- Easily fits in any vehicle
- The device supports reverse camera input
- Wort for money
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Updating maps is not an easy task
5. GT06N GPS Vehicle Tracking Device GT06N – ACC monitoring
The company provides high-quality tracking devices for cars and motorbikes. These devices are easy to use and have great features for convenience.
GTo6N provides live traffic updates. It has anti-theft protection and ACC monitoring. Also, the vehicle can be immobilized if necessary and has the engine on/off control. Tracking reports can be obtained. Installation of the device is easy, and the device produces low battery alarm, over speed alarm, emergency alarm. The product is ideal for company cabs, transport trucks, bikers.
- The device provides live traffic updates with the help of google maps
- It comes with built-in battery
- Auto tracking facility with address and location map
- The device has the feature of low battery alarm, emergency alarm,
- Is compatible with mobile apps android or iPhone
- Tracking can be done either through GPS or SMS
- Also, it provides over speed alert, mileage alert
- Moreover, it is easy to access the trip report, stoppage report and travel history
- Can be connected to any bike even Royal Enfield bikes
- Good quality product
- Easy tracking
- the device comes with anti-theft protection and ACC monitoring
- The device is not waterproof
6. LOWRENCE Android GPS Navigation Device – LED monitor
LOWRENCE seller provides a wide variety of goods like luggage holder, car rest pillows, antenna rod with chrome cap, car mud flaps and much more. The device looks similar to a tab.
It has an LED monitor and full HD display. The design of the device is unique and comes with easily accessible touch screen buttons.
- The device has an LED monitor and full HD display
- It is suitable for all types of cars
- The size of the screen is 7inch
- It has Android GPS navigation
- In-built AM/FM radio for entertainment
- Now, you can connect your mobile with Bluetooth connectivity and access photos or music or videos
- Large size screen
- Mirro-Link for accurate and easy navigation
- Easy navigation
- Easily accessible touch buttons at the bottom of the device
- Bluetooth connectivity
- No cons found
7. Garmin Etrex 30x Handheld GPS – Sunlight readable display
Garmin is the leading company in the field of aviation, automotive, outdoor, marine, and fitness. The company was found in 1989. They have cutting-edge GPS navigation products. Also, the products will be available only after good design, the best quality. List of their products include cars, camera, activity tracking, accessories, radars, transducers, sensors, and much more.
Garmin handheld GPS comes with in-built sensors, preloaded base maps, internal memory. Also, the sunlight-readable display is provided. The device is portable and can be easily carried during trekking, hiking, or adventurous trips. The product comes with one year warranty against manufacturer defects.
- The product includes 30xdevice, a USB cable, and manual
- Etrex 30x comes with a one-year warranty
- It has in-built sensors that help to work as a compass, barometric altimeter
- The device comes with a worldwide preloaded base map
- Etrex 30X has an internal memory of 3.7GB
- Additionally, a slot is provided for SD card
- The resolution comes with 240 x 320 pixels
- Product is excellent and useful especially when you are on wildlife tour and hiking
- Easy to use
- The device comes with navigation buttons
- It can be used to plot barometric pressure
- No cons found
Frequently Asked Questions
How accurate are navigation devices?
Navigation devices are accurate as they constantly calculate the current position with accuracy. Both the antenna and receiver help the signal to communicate appropriately. However, sometimes navigation devices cannot catch the signal properly due to signal blockage or radio interference or improper designed devices.
Can we update maps?
Yes, we can update maps. Depending upon the brand you buy, you have the possibility of updating maps. Few navigation devices allow you to update maps and store them in the built-in memory. They also allow you to purchase the maps across the world. However, many navigation devices release the maps update periodically.
If you have reached this point in the article it means you have read the complete article and are looking for a navigation system to buy. To make your search convenient, we have provided best picks and provided a link for purchase. If you want to buy any of the products mentioned above, then click on the link provided.
After thorough research, we have selected LX350 form MapmyIndia as the best pick. For portable, easy and convenient navigation, especially during hiking, trekking we selected 30x handheld device. If you need a reverse camera input option, then go with Icenav 301. For live vehicle tracking, you can opt for Gto2A tracker.