Big screen televisions are in demand today. We are all looking for TVs that are not only has a fantastic picture quality but are also available at pocket-friendly prices. With the new range of LCD TVs available in the market that have great features and come with a lower price tag, it becomes a great way to fulfill the dreams.
From the different brands offering TVs of different technologies, now it has become easier for you to choose. The TVs these days are sleek, wide-screened and have numerous other features inbuilt in it and hence become an ideal inclusion for your house.
Earlier we had televisions of smaller sizes where we could just watch daily serials and matches, but no more with these LCD televisions. Now you can not only watch matches and serials like never before due to such a wide screen and top picture quality but also with the smart features you can watch whatever movie you wish. The LCD screens are being designed keeping in mind people’s needs. Watching movies on these LCD televisions provide a cinematic experience due to the top-notch picture and sound quality.
LCD TVs in comparison to the other technology have much higher demand in the market due to its price point. Moreover, sharpness, brightness, geometric distortion, screen size and consuming less energy make these televisions an ideal choice for the people.
As discussed earlier that there are several brands in the market that offers LCD televisions thereby offering you a range of choices. But then again to comprehend the best one for your room and the needs keeping in mind the budget, you need to make the right choice. For the right investment, you need proper guidance, which will be provided to you in this article. But before that, let us have a detailed look on what LCD TVs actually are.
What are LCD TVs?
LCD TVs are the flat panel televisions which make use of basic Liquid Crystal Display technology. This same technology is being used in camcorders, cell phones and other computer monitors.
The LCD panels are being manufactured with two layers of glass-like materials. These polarized materials are stuck together. One of these layers is being coated with exceptional polymer which again holds individual liquid crystals. When electric current passes through the individual crystals, it actually allows light to pass or block through these crystals to produce the images.
LCD crystals are not capable to produce light on themselves and which is why there is always a need for an external source of light like LED or Fluorescent light bulbs. These actually help to make it visible to the viewer.
These TVs are available in a range of thickness and to the surprise; these are actually available in very thin formats. This is the reason why owners can also hang them or place on some tiny stands like desk, dresser, table or any cabinet.
The technology used in these TVs is resolution agnostic which in simple words mean can be easily made in different resolution starting from 480p to 8K.
Difference between LCD and Other Technology:
- LCD & LED:
While you go shopping for a new television, you will come across many TVs that have been labeled with the “LED” sign on it.
Well, buyers face a lot of confusion as they are not really aware of the difference in the technology. Before you make a buying decision, you need to know more about the LCD and LED TVs.
TVs that are provided with a designation of LED are actually the LCD TVs that have the backlighting system. Don’t confuse it with the chip present inside the LED TVs. All the LED TVs are actually LCD TVs with the only exception of making use of the LED backlights but not the fluorescent backlights in most LCD TVs.
- LCD and QLED:
Led is not the only name that is mostly confused with LCD TVs, but there are others as well like the QLED. This label is generally used by TCL and Samsung. Vizio make use of Quantum term.
These televisions actually mean to make use of the Quantum Dot Technology for improving the color performance.
These are the additional layer made of nano-sized particles which are being placed in between the LCD display and LED backlight especially in the LCD TV.
These dots are of various sizes where each size is capable of producing different but particular color when lights from LEDs hit them. This results in offering rich colors which gets displayed on the screen especially images that have high brightness levels.
- LCD and OLED:
Even when the LCD is the main technology utilized in most of the TVs including the television that are not a type of LCD is the OLED.
OLED TVs make use of technology where it consists of the self-emitting pixels but make use of less energy along with are available in the thinnest of all forms.
Each and every pixel can be switched off and on individually which makes these OLED TVs to offer complete black and brilliant color. However, LCD TVs still win the league as this technology offers producing more brightness levels.
- LCD and Plasma:
Even when the Plasma TVs are already discontinued, but some are still used.
Both Plasma and LCD TVs have one thing in common is that both are thin flat and can be mounted on the walls.
The interiors consist of thin cabinets where various technologies are employees for displaying images.
Plasma technology makes use of the pixels that are the self-emitting phosphors for producing images. The benefits of LCD is that it makes use of phosphorus which can easily be turned off and on for producing deeper blacks. In comparison, Plasma TVs cannot produce such bright images like the LCD TVs.
Features of LCD TVs:
- Flat Panel Displays: LCD just like any other televisions are available in a thinner format in comparison to the CRTs. These televisions can be designed into any sizes which makes it compete easily with the other types of television. In the years, the LCD screen designing technology grew from 14 to 30 inches to 42 and then 52 and 65inches. This means one gets the freedom to choose a size as per their requirements and enjoy a great experience right at the convenience of their home.
- Viewing Angle: While looking at the LCD TV from different angles, it might look dimmer or the image might disappear from some angles. Since there is always a chance of misrepresenting, for compensating this particular problem, the makers of LCD TV have created wider viewing angles. Most of the high-end brand manufacturers measure the viewing angle in the form of degrees. Since there is a different way of measuring the viewing angles, it is always recommended to check the display before purchasing. Checking from different angles like from bottom and top along with the sides will help you in better understanding.
- Great Dynamic Contrast Ratio: The new age LCD TVs available in the market offers much cleaner and dramatic viewing experience. With the amazing dynamic contrast ratio, the televisions are able to produce more white whites and more black blacks. This means now you can enjoy the picture in much more details than any time.
- Color Enhancer: When it comes to watching television, colors are the main thing. With these new age LCD TVs, now the viewers can be able to see much wider range of colors. You can also differentiate between the weakened colors that were there in standard LCD TVs. With these TVs, you can now easily experience the green of grasses and blue of a summer sky.
- Enhanced Response Time: Most of the LCD panels are having a very common tendency of blurring the images while the fast moving scenes especially in sports, gaming events and movies. The main reason is because the pixels which are remaining between the frames take time to align themselves for representation of a new pixel state. No more with the new age TVs will be any issues as the most recent LCD panels are available in the market with enhanced LCD response times. 4msec is a standard refreshing rate with panels up to 120 Hz while 240Hz displays have 2 msec of response time.
- Wall Mounted Designs: Even when the LCD TVs offer great displays and picture quality, these are available in some of the thinnest or sleek designs. Being lightweight and sleek designed, these televisions ensure owners to install the TVs in whichever way they want. They can be kept above the cabinet or table or else if you have limited space, these TVs can also be wall mounted and enjoyed a complete cinematic experience.
When you have already decided to invest in a new LCD TV, obviously you have made the right decision, but wait! You need to know a few things before you start making your online search for buying one and eventually regret. Well, you would not regret because of the quality but there are several other things that needs to be focused.
Screen Size: Often, when it comes to buying a new TV, you hop on to the big screen even when we have a small living room. You should always first understand the right screen size that will suit the room and look great as well. Instead, if you buy a big screen for a small living room, not only it will disturb your vision always but also will not be a great entertainment. Therefore understand the viewing distance and match with the screen size before bringing it to your home.
Here we are providing a rough idea on the screen size and viewing distance for your convenience while buying.
|Screen Size||Viewing Distance|
|40’’||3.3 – 5.0 ft|
|43’’||3.6 – 5.4 ft|
|50’’||4.2 – 6.3 ft|
|55’’||4.6 – 6.9 ft|
|60’’||5.0 – 7.5 ft|
|65’’||5.4 – 8.1 ft|
|70’’||5.8 – 8.75 ft|
|75’’||6.3 – 9.4 ft|
|80’’||6.7 – 10.0 ft|
|85’’||7.1 – 10.6 ft|
Viewing Angle: Before buying an LCD TV you definitely need to keep in mind regarding the viewing angle. It’s not a secret that the person sitting in the corner will not enjoy the way a person sitting in the center. Therefore, to cover this weakness, you need to buy a TV and place with at 30 to 45 degrees of viewing angle. In this way you can enjoy the television in a full manner.
Refresh Rate: Always remember that native refresh rate is the first thing that you need to check. Along with this, also make sure of the other technologies that the manufacturers develop for creating a seamless and smooth picture.
For the native refresh rates you will mainly find 120Hz or 60Hz. Television with 120Hz will be able to rebuild completely the pictures 120 times more in just a second. This is crucial because the more refresh rate will ensure smoother and clearer picture. With some of the 60Hz television, you might find blur image while fast moving scenes.
Connectivity: When you are buying a modern television, you definitely need to check the HDMI ports. With these ports, you can easily connect with other connection like streaming media players, A/V receivers, Blu-ray players, gaming consoles and much more. In order to enjoy the optimum experience, you need to make sure that the HDMI cables are high-speed. This will ensure speedy data transfer and better quality pictures.
Check for HDR Quality: HDR is now easily available with both the OLED and LCD TVs. Whenever you are buying a new TV, make sure you check for it as this ensures viewing high quality contents without any disruption.
Sound Quality: Undoubtedly images are important but how would you enjoy if there is no proper sound? This is the reason why you need to check for the inbuilt sound quality.
Most of the LCD TVs available in the market comes with built-in speakers which ensure great sound quality. Well, this is great enough to enjoy a cinematic experience, but if you want more, you always have the freedom for connecting with an external speaker and enjoy your movie.
Smart Features: It is always great if the TV has been provided with smart features. When we talk about Smart TV, then it needs to have the ability to get connected to the internet connection to be able to enjoy the streaming services like Netflix, YouTube and much more.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the difference between the LCD and LED TVs?
As mentioned earlier, LCD is the abbreviated form of Liquid Crystal Display. Technically, both the LCD and LED TVs have the same functionality. In reality, the LED TVs are the subset of the LCD TVs. Light Emitting Diodes or the LED differs from the normal LCD TVs is LCD TVs make use of the fluorescent lights and the :LEDs make use of the Light Emitting Diodes.
- Which LCD TV brand is best in India?
Well, this is definitely a personal choice but then again, considering the many features that you can get in a LCD TV, Samsung definitely stands out. Other than this, you can go for TVL, Sony, LG and Vizio.
- Does LCD TVs cost huge?
Well, to our surprise, it is just the opposite. Only with the LCD TVs you can get such a huge range of price options. Whether you want something within a reasonable budget, you have variable options with decent quality or if you want to go for high-end models, you have such freedom with the LCD TVs too.
- How long will a LCD TV last?
Generally any flat panel LCD television has a good amount of lifespan which is almost 100,000 hours on an average. The lifespan of these LCD TYVs are much more in comparison to that of the plasma TVs.
- Which one should I buy – LCD or LED TV?
You should always first understand that all the LED TVs are the subset of the LCD TVs which make use of the LED for the backlighting rather than CFL. However, LEDs are somewhat recent technology than the LCDs.
You can choose any from these two depending on your budget and size. LCDs are still always in demand because of the quality and affordability at the same time.
- What is the major difference between plasma and LCD?
Even when the plasma TV and LCD TVs look similar, their working is completely different from one another.
In a plasma TV each and every pixel which are the microscopic fluorescent lamp that glows with plasma. These are the hot gas forms where the atoms blow apart to form positively charged ions and negatively charged electrons. They move freely and produces fuzzy light whenever collide. Even when the screens of Plasma can be available in different formats, the price tags are way much expensive than LCD TVs, which makes LCD TV grow the demand.
- Can LCD TV damage my eyesight?
The old CRT with not so advanced technology can definitely damage your eyes and the vision since their mechanism working behind it is not advanced. The new tech LCD screens will never harm your eyesight as they are luminescent. However, it is still recommended to take breaks as watching TV constantly can strain your eyes.
With the above-mentioned information, hopefully it will become easy for the buyers to understand the right type of LCD TV for their home. Even when you have your personal preferences, but you definitely need to keep in mind regarding the quality you will be provided with at your set budget.
So make sure you check precisely each and every feature before buying and enjoy the most of your investment sitting on your couch.