Top Selfie Sticks
Selfie sticks have come a long way. The earliest selfie stick is said to be made in 1925. A picture from that year shows a man clicking an image of him and his wife using a long pole. Over recent years, selfie sticks have gained immense popularity.
It helps you capture steady images and videos by positioning the camera or smartphone at an arm’s length. In fact, selfie sticks allow you to capture selfies and groupies from multiple angles. The stick is strong, sturdy, and extendable. This enables you to capture shots by adjusting it to a preferable length.
The handle of the selfie stick ensures a secure and comfortable grip for your convenience. The other end of the stick features a mount that fits your phone or camera securely. There are two types of selfie sticks, namely wired and wireless selfie sticks. Here we provide a comprehensive buyer’s guide to help you choose the ideal selfie stick.
Top 7 Selfie Sticks
Long Battery Life
Light-weight and Pocket-Friendly
Universal Selfie Stick
Best Wired Selfie Stick
Selfie Stick cum Monopod
Types of Selfie Sticks
Wired Selfie Stick
Wired selfie sticks are affordable options to consider buying. The stick comes with an aux jack which needs to be connected to the headphone jack on your smartphone. The handle of a wired selfie stick features a button that enables you to capture shots.
It does not require your phone to be connected to a wireless Bluetooth connection. Hence, this saves the battery of your smartphone. However, it requires you to keep your hand steady for capturing sharp and blur-free images or videos.
Wireless Selfie Stick
A wireless selfie stick establishes a wireless Bluetooth connection with your smartphone. It comes with a rechargeable Bluetooth remote control that enables you to capture shots with the push of a button. It also allows capturing images and videos from a distance, mainly when the selfie stick is used as a monopod or tripod. This ensures steady and sharper pictures and videos.
However, wireless selfie sticks are more expensive than wired ones. Also, the Bluetooth connection drains the battery from your smartphone. Most wireless selfie sticks come with mounts that are compatible with cameras, GoPros and action cameras as well.
We have already discussed the different types of selfie sticks. You can opt for a wired selfie stick if you are on a budget. On the other hand, a wireless selfie stick is a more versatile option. However, it is essential to check that the Bluetooth connectivity is strong and secure so that you don’t lose connection in between your photography session.
The selfie stick you buy should be large enough to hold the device of your choice. However, it should be easily foldable into a compact size. This enables you to carry it in your pocket or bag while traveling. Also, the length of the selfie stick should be easily extendable to meet your requirements.
A light-weight selfie stick is always considered as a preferable choice. It is convenient to carry around. Also, the light-weight stick allows you to capture shots with ease. A heavy-weight selfie stick is not comfortable to hold while capturing images and videos. It will cause pain to your arms and shoulders, especially when using it for a long time.
Go for a selfie stick that can be easily converted into a tabletop tripod, handheld tripod or monopod. The feature allows for versatile photography. So, ensure that you choose a selfie stick with an all-in-one design.
The compatibility of devices depends on the mount or phone holder that comes with the selfie stick. It is essential to check if the mount can safely and securely fit the device. Moreover, the Bluetooth remote may be compatible with certain Android and iOS devices. Go for a selfie stick that is compatible with most smartphones, cameras, GoPro, and action cameras.
The selfie stick should be constructed using good quality aluminum alloy. It makes the product strong, sturdy, and durable. The materials used in the construction of the selfie stick must be of high quality. This ensures that the selfie stick is long-lasting.
Wireless selfie sticks come with detachable Bluetooth remote controls. The remote control should have a long wireless range of 33 feet. This allows you to capture precise shots from a distance.
Check the battery life of the remote. It should be long-lasting so that you can capture shots without the fear of running out of charge. A single charge should enable you to click up to 5000 shots.
Go for a selfie stick that can be used as a tabletop or a handheld tripod stand. The tripod should have non-slip and sturdy feet. This prevents the camera or smartphone from shaking and vibrating. Hence, you get to capture sharper and steadier images and videos.
A waterproof selfie stick is safe to use outdoors as it is resistant to damage due to rain. Hence, ensure that the stick comes with a waterproof rating so that you can capture shots even in tough weather conditions. It also provides the durability of the product.
The head of the selfie stick should be rotatable up to 360 degrees. This feature allows you to capture multi-angle shots conveniently.
Price and Warranty
A wired selfie stick is a more inexpensive option to consider buying. However, you can also consider a wireless selfie stick as they are available in a wide range of prices. Check the features, price, and warranty of the product before making a purchase. Go for a brand that offers a warranty period of at least six months.
7 Best Selfie Stick
1. Mpow Upgraded Selfie Stick – Our Choice
Mpow is a leading manufacturer of smartphone accessories like selfie sticks, tripod stands, and mounts. Here we have reviewed the Mpow Bluetooth selfie stick that can be extended up to a length of 26.3 inches. It has a portable and compact design which enables you to travel with it. The selfie stick also has a 2-in-1 design which allows you to use it as a tripod as well as a handheld selfie stick.
The model comes with a 3-way rotation which enables you to capture horizontal and vertical, multi-angle shots easily. Moreover, it comes with a detachable Bluetooth shutter remote with a range of 33 meters. It enables you to capture precise and steady shots.
- The 2-in-1 mode design enables you to use it as a selfie stick or as a tripod.
- The weight of the selfie stick: 181 grams.
- The 360-degree clamp rotation allows you to capture horizontal or vertical camera shots.
- Comes with 225-degree neck rotation and 360-degree head rotation.
- The selfie stick can be extended from 7.7 inches to 26.3 inches.
- Maximum width of phone holder: 3.5 inches.
- The built-in 65 mAH battery can be charged within 30 minutes.
- Working time: 24 hours and standby time: 3 months.
- It comes with a detachable Bluetooth remote having a range of 33 feet.
- The Mpow selfie sticks come with 18 months warranty and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- The portable and extendable stick is easy to carry during travel.
- The energy-saving battery has a long life.
- 3-way rotations allow easy multi-angle self snapshots.
- It is compatible with 3.5 inches to 6-inch smartphones.
- The selfie-stick could have been longer.
- The legs of the tripod were unsteady.
2. Hoteon Mobilife Selfie Stick – Long Battery Life
The 2-in-1 selfie stick features an in-built tripod leg that can be easily integrated into a selfie stick. The light-weight selfie stick can be folded into a compact size, allowing you to carry it around easily. It comes with a phone holder that can fit almost all iPhone and Android smartphones.
The long battery life of 6 months enables you to capture shots, videos, and face-time for long hours. The remote shutter comes with a replaceable lithium button cell. This ensures that you never run out of battery life, especially when needed to capture precise shots.
- This is a 2-in-1 selfie-stick tripod.
- Weight of the selfie stick: 150 grams.
- The 270-degree rotation knob can twist the phone holder to capture shots and videos as per your requirement.
- The length can be extended from 10 inches to 23.6 inches.
- Comes with a detachable Bluetooth remote shutter and a replacement Lithium button cell.
- The phone holder can fit phones with a screen size of 2.5 inches to 3.77 inches.
- Battery life: 6 months.
- Include 10 minutes auto-sleep feature.
- Light-weight, foldable, and compact design makes it easy to carry.
- Long battery life that lasts up to 7500 photos.
- Compatible with most iPhones and Android smartphones.
- Suitable for face-time, photography, videos, business and more.
- The ingenious design can integrate the tripod into a selfie stick in a simple step.
- It can automatically reconnect to Bluetooth.
- Bluetooth range is low.
- Build quality could be better.
3. SMILEDRIVE Selfie Stick – Collapsible Design
The Smiledrive extendable selfie stick can be used as a tripod and a monopod stand. It comes with a smartphone holder that can hold phones and cameras having a weight of up to 200 grams. The stick has a collapsible and light-weight design allowing you to carry it anywhere you go. Also, it is sturdy and durable.
- It can be used as a selfie stick, tripod, and monopod stand.
- Weight of the selfie stick: 230 grams.
- Constructed using aluminum alloy and plastic.
- Length can be adjusted from 20 cm to 90 cm.
- It comes with a 360-degree rotatable ball head that ensures multi-angle shots.
- It can support weight up to 200 grams.
- The smartphone attachment can fit any phone of 5.2 x 10.5 cm.
- Comes with a Bluetooth remote clicker that can be used with smartphones and iPhones.
- Compatible with GoPro, SJCam and other sports cameras.
- Sturdy and durable.
- The light-weight and collapsible design make it easy to carry around.
- The remote control does not function properly.
- The size of the tripod cum selfie stick was small.
4. BlitzWolf Selfie Stick – Light-weight and Pocket-Friendly
The Biltzwolf selfie stick features a 3-in-1 design allowing you to also use it as a mini tripod and table top tripod. The sturdy aluminum construction with non-slip rubber food pad ensures stability and a steady hold. You can easily take multi-angle shots because of its 360-degree rotatable head.
The model comes with a Bluetooth remote control that is easy to set up. It allows you to control the operations of the smartphone with ease. Hence, you can capture shots even from a distance. Also, the battery has a long life that allows you to take up to 5000 selfies on a single charge.
- The 3-in-1 design allows you to use it as a selfie stick, mini tripod, and a tabletop tripod.
- Weight of the product: 148 grams.
- Constructed using aluminum alloy and rubber.
- It has a 360-degree rotatable head.
- Comes with a detachable Bluetooth 3.0 remote.
- The 65 mAH battery ensures up to 5000 selfies per charge.
- Light-weight and pocket-friendly design.
- The tripod comes with rubber support for additional stability.
- Wide compatibility: the universal mount can hold 3.5 to 6-inch smartphones.
- Long battery life.
- The Bluetooth remote is easy to pair operate.
- It is a bit expensive.
5. Eocean Selfie Stick – Universal Selfie Stick
The selfie stick can be used as a handheld tripod and a table tripod. It has strong and sturdy aluminum construction. The pocket-friendly selfie stick is easy to carry around with its foldable compact size. The remote control allows you to capture shots from a 33 feet range easily.
It also comes with a universal mount that can easily hold any smartphone, digital camera, SLR, and GoPro. Hence, this is the best versatile selfie stick cum tripod stand to go for.
- The 3-in-1 design enables you to use it as a selfie stick, handheld tripod, and a table tripod.
- Weight of the product: 431 grams.
- Made using the strong aluminum material.
- The tripod comes with five sections.
- The folded tripod can be extended from 13.77 inches to 52.36 inches.
- Extendable length of an unfolded tripod is 15.74 inches to 54.33 inches.
- Comes with a 1/4 inch screw universal mount with a maximum load capacity of 5 kg.
- It comes with a wireless remote control which is compatible with iOS and Android 4.2 or higher.
- The multi-angle rotation head offers freedom of rotation up to 315 degrees.
- Comes with a one year warranty.
- The foldable and pocket-friendly design makes it easy to store and carry around.
- The wireless remote comes with a range of 33 feet.
- Compatible with most smartphones, SLR, digital cameras, DV, and GoPro.
- It is not very durable.
6. Portronics POR 853 Groupy Selfie Stick – Best Wired Selfie Stick
The Portronics POR 853 is a light-weight and portable wired selfie-stick that enables you to click selfies and groupies with ease. It comes with an in-built aux cable that needs to be inserted into the headphone jack. You will not have to connect your phone to Bluetooth. Hence, your phone’s charge is saved.
This strong and sturdy selfie stick is constructed using aluminum alloy and good quality plastic. The silicone grip ensures a secure and steady hold to the user. This is the ideal user-friendly wired selfie stick that is worth buying.
- This is a wired selfie stick.
- Weight of the product: 31.8 grams.
- The material used for construction: aluminum alloy, plastic, and silicone.
- Comes with a 270-degree rotational head which allows you to capture multi-angular shots.
- It can be folded down to 7 inches.
- The extendable length is up to 30 inches.
- Comes with a semi-circular phone holder that ensures a secure fit to your phone.
- Works with all iOS, Android, and Windows devices.
- It has a metallic finishing.
- Six months warranty.
- Has a user-friendly design.
- Portable and light-weight.
- It saves charge of your smartphone.
- The soft cushion material on the phone holder prevents scratches on your phone.
- Does not work well with Android phones.
7. US1984 1288 Selfie Stick – Selfie Stick cum Monopod
The US1984 1288 is a strong and sturdy selfie stick constructed using hard-anodized aluminum. It comes with a lock that enables you to adjust the length of the stick according to your requirement. The monopod can safely and securely hold your smartphone, camera, GoPro, and action camera.
The non-slip feet of the monopod ensure stability on any surface. It prevents the camera from shaking or vibrating, allowing you to capture sharper images and videos. Moreover, the foldable and light-weight selfie stick is also portable.
- This is a selfie stick monopod.
- Weight of the product: 340 grams.
- The length can be adjusted from 425 mm to 1250 mm.
- Compatible with smartphones having a width of 4.7 to 8 cm, GoPros, cameras less than 30 ounces and action cameras.
- Comes with a Bluetooth remote control that supports Android (4.22 or higher) and iOS (5.0 or higher).
- It can safely mount your phone and camera.
- Features a 360 degree rotatable head for multi-angle shots.
- Light-weight, foldable, and compact design makes it easily portable.
- The non-slip rubber legs ensure stability on any surface.
- Allows you to capture steady and sharper images and videos.
- A strong and sturdy selfie stick- suitable for daily use.
- The zoom feature does not work in all handsets.
- Mount has to be bought separately.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How does a selfie stick work?
A wired selfie stick comes with an aux cable. You will have to attach the smartphone to the mount and then connect the aux to the headphone jack of the phone. Once connected, the selfie stick allows you to capture shots by pressing the button on the handle.
A wireless selfie stick works using a wireless Bluetooth connection. It comes with a Bluetooth shutter remote that allows you to click the shots.
2. Why and where are selfie sticks banned?
Selfie-sticks have been banned in many places for safety reasons. For instance, it has been banned on rides at Disney World. They are also banned in tournaments, tourist spots like museums in the U.S., music venues in England and others.
3. Is selfie stick allowed in cabin baggage?
Yes, selfie sticks are allowed in cabin luggage. However, it should not be used onboard due to customer safety and comfort.
We now come to the end of this article, hoping that you find yourself a suitable selfie stick. It is better to go for a selfie stick that can be used as a tripod and monopod. You have several options to choose from. The buyer’s guide explains all the factors which should be taken into account before making a purchase.
We have also reviewed the best selfie sticks for you to choose from. The Mpow Upgraded Selfie Stick is our number one recommendation. You can also consider the Portronics POR 853 Groupy Wired Selfie Stick if you wish to buy a wired selfie stick. We hope this article helps!