Top 11 Home Security Cameras
No matter what, everyone aims to keep their home safe and secure. Home security cameras are the thing that will help you to achieve more security for your family. Often, security cameras discourage thieves from breaking into the house, or you can use them to see what’s happening around and in your home. There are many kinds of outdoor security camera that you can install. The tiniest of them all is the doorbell security camera which tells you who is at the door.
Safety and security are the two reasons; they are becoming popular among the homeowners. With so many options to choose, it’s common to get confused about what to look for while buying the best home security camera.
We have done the research, spent several hours going through the specifications of each of these cameras and made a handy list of best outdoor security camera system which will be narrow down your choices to only the best one in the market. We have mentioned the existence of home security cameras, how it works, and the different types. To make your search simpler, we have also listed the essential features required, how you can access the footage and a comprehensive buying guide. Check out the frequently asked questions section to get answers to the most common questions asked about wireless home security cameras.
Top 10 Best Home Security Cameras
Best Smart Home Security Camera
Best Quality Picture
Best for Outdoor Use
Easy Set Up
Best Picture Quality
Best Motion Detection
Best for Night Vision
Best Wi-Fi Enabled Camera
Quality under Budget
Best Night Vision Enabled Camera
History of Home Security Camera
Till 1960, use of the home security camera was not so common but since then its popularity increased drastically. History suggests that the very first home surveillance camera was used in 1942 by Siemens at their rocket launch site which was invented by Walter Burch.
Initially, home surveillance cameras were used by the banking industry to deter theft. Government building often has those installed to deter the crime. Nowadays these cameras being extensively used to monitor traffic, to solve and deter the crime, and even to keep an eye on an abandoned area where people are prohibited from entering (like some regions of chemical factories or other industries).
Though these security cameras always have positive benefits, it does come with certain disadvantages. It can invade the privacy of individuals as well as criminals may use them against the common public to gather sensitive data. Such instances of using a hidden camera or installation bogus security cameras near the banks ATM’s has been reported frequently. Such installations capture the PIN of users which can be cloned into the microchip.
How Does It Work?
A home security camera does the heavy lifting to deter the criminals and keep an eye on your home. But you ever wondered how does it work?
Today, we have wide varieties of cctv cameras wireless in the market. Out of these, some are large and usually installed in the porch while some of them are tiny and built to stay hidden from the view of others. Apart from the size of cameras, they come in various shapes as well as they can wireless.
The security camera system works using “Closed Circuit” technology. It consists of a camera, lens, monitor and cables. The camera captures the video or images and converts it to the electronic signals which then sent to either private monitor or stored in specified storage to view whenever required. The quality of the footage depends upon the quality of the lens used with the camera.
Features of Home Security Camera
Home security cameras are wide array product and may come with lots of features as most of them supported by internet connection. They not only capture and store the images and video footage but can alert the homeowner for a possible intruder.
Though there are many features that we can go on talking about; here are some prominent features that you should not miss to have in your camera.
See if the camera pairs with a smartphone app. Usually, these apps receive messages from the camera and alert when the camera detects the motion or when the doorbell rings. Smartphone alert is one of the handy features to have as it allows you to monitor the premises whenever you want and can allow you to interact with the person at the door in case you are using doorbell camera.
Two – Way Audio
This can be a great feature if you are using a doorbell camera. This will allow visitors in front of your doorbell camera to communicate with you even without opening the door.
Outdoor camera equipped with motion detection can cause unnecessary alerts if its monitoring area includes nearby road or the area where people/animal commonly visit. This triggers the fake alarm. In such situations, the camera manufacturers came with a solution called ‘Motion zone monitoring’. Camera-equipped with this feature allows the user to select the portion of the camera field to monitor or neglect for the motions.
Cloud Storage Facility
See if the camera manufacturer provides an option to store video and images to cloud storage. Many companies offer security camera, smartphone app, and a cloud storage service with a small monthly fee so that users can access these videos from any corner of the world.
How to Access the Footage?
A wireless security camera uses radio frequencies to transmit the footage to the receiver modules. This receiver module is a part of the DVR, and therefore the footage could be viewed either in real-time or recorded on a hard drive to be seen later. In cases, the footage can also be uploaded to the cloud as well.
The method used to access the footage depends on the way the camera is transmitting the video. If it is sending the signals directly to the DVR, then it could be accessed from the hard drive, and if the data is being uploaded to the web then a user would need to log in with their ID and password to view the footage.
Types of Home Security Cameras
Home security cameras often come in 9 different types which as follows:
- Box Camera
- PTZ Camera
- IP Camera
- Dome Camera
- Day/Night Camera
- Bullet Camera
- Thermal (FLIR) Camera
- Wide dynamic security Camera
- Wireless IP Camera
As the name suggests, this camera comes in the shape of the box. Usually, it is a standalone camera and works like any other camera but allow outdoor use and provides many lens options.
This camera is built using the camera, its lens, and dome-shaped mounting package. This dome-shaped mounting package is fixed to the ceiling and holds the camera and its lens.
This is the best option of security cameras that can be used in such an environment where dust or dirt rules, so it is the best option to install in a kitchen or warehouse.
PTZ Security Camera
The acronym PTZ stands for “Pan, Tilt & Zoom”. To achieve this pan-tilt-zoom mechanism, it comes with mechanical controls so that the operator can remotely move the camera as per their need.
The movements of the camera can be kept in a fixed pattern to run it in the loop or it can be kept stand still. The operator can use the joystick to move the focus of the camera. The benefit of using this camera is it can focus on a wide area and allow users to shift the focus. Also, it comes with a zoom in features to capture the minute details.
As the name suggests IP camera uses an internet protocol for transmitting the digital signals over the network and it can increase the video resolution. Some brands come with built-in software that provides video analytics.
Benefits of using this camera are that it allows better resolutions and easy system management as compared to the analog security camera.
The lens, housing package, and the camera are enclosed in a bullet like a box so it is named as a bullet security camera. Usually, this camera uses IR illumination (Infrared), which makes it a good choice for the areas where light is low. As all essentials are enclosed and sealed in a bullet-like structure, it requires less servicing.
Day night security camera
Like bullet camera, day/night security camera can be used for low-light environments as it uses IR technology and can adjust according to the light situations of day and night.
Thermal security camera
Thermal security cameras can be termed as one of the best use of thermal imaging technology as it allows to capture the quality images by rendering infrared radiations. Though they are popular in the firefighting industry, its use as a home security camera is on the rise as various governments are allowing grants to utilize it.
Ability to detect the people in the light fog, dust, smoke, and even in complete darkness is one of the major benefits of installing a thermal security camera.
Wide dynamic security camera
This camera is useful for the areas where some part has bright light while another part has low-light. In such a scenario, some part of the image is well exposed and shows every detail while it becomes difficult to analyze what lies in the darker part. To combat this issue wide dynamic security camera comes handy, as it includes the special software that which balances the overall light exposure of an image and help to capture the quality image.
Its capability to handle the wide range of lighting makes it a go-to camera for the areas where you want to capture the precise headshots of people who are entering your premises with the bright light behind them.
Wireless IP security camera
Easy to install among all, it eliminates the requirement of a cable network as it comes with wi-fi enabled system. It is one of the easy to install security camera which comes with swivel and tilting options that enhances the viewing area.
Also, it can capture the clear images in low-light condition as well as has built-in motion detectors.
Home Security Camera Buying Guide
With numerous options to choose from, buying a home security camera can be a tricky task. But keeping certain points as a benchmark and balancing them with your budget can help you decide the kind of camera you can by.
If you are overwhelmed with the several options and don’t know where to begin your quest for finding a perfect surveillance system for your home then refer the following points to speed up your buying process.
Know your budget
No matter which product you are buying, knowing your budget will save your time that you might waste looking at hundreds of options. If you are tight on budget, then you shouldn’t be spending your time reading about high-end products. Go for medium to low priced product and see what suits your pocket.
Decide which type of security camera you need
As discussed earlier, the manufacturer offers a wide variety of home security cameras. Though each of them works as a home security camera, each one fulfills a different need. So, first, you need to decide what type of security camera you need.
Usually, the place where you will install the camera will decide what type of camera you might need. If you are installing it in the porch or garden, then you need to determine whether you want to go with video doorbell or wireless security camera. Also, the camera that will be installed in an outdoor setting, needs to be weatherproof.
Often, video doorbell cameras are designed to sustain the harsh environment while wireless security cameras are delicate than the doorbell camera.
Choose power source wisely
Security cameras available in both format, some can run on batteries while some are built to utilize DC and needs to hardwired.
The camera that runs on battery provides a huge amount of flexibility in terms of installation. You can install them in or around your home but their battery needs to be charged depending upon how heavily they are being used. Though hardwired camera reduces the pain to recharge the battery, it will limit the camera placement options as you need cable network to run it.
Does the manufacturer provides a cloud storage option? If yes, how much does it cost? Often, the camera manufacturer charges monthly fees to store the videos and images on cloud storage, so you need to pay attention to see if it is within your budget range or not.
Some companies only store the video clips when some motion alert is triggered and does not save the continuous video feed while some does offer storage option for continuous video feed at a higher cost. If you decide to go up with the cloud storage option; check if the camera allows downloading the video clips as some company notoriously make such cameras that do not allow video clip downloading unless you pay some fixed fee.
While buying home security camera, you need to check this aspect too. Though security camera deters the thieves, they may cause serious privacy issues. If you are more concern about privacy, then you should avoid installing them in the bedroom.
When you install the security camera, the first thing you should do is to change the login credential of camera and security system. Never keep the default credential as they might be the same for every camera that the company sells.
Pay attention to the quality of the video this camera will record. You don’t want a camera that records the low-resolution video or an image which will become difficult to analyze when you review it. Currently, most of the camera comes with the ability to record the video in HD quality.
Field of view
Once you are sure that camera records good quality images and video then you need to see how much area it cover while recording. It is called the field of view. Requirements of the field of view vary as per the location where the camera needs to be installed. If you are going to use it in porch, then you might need a wide field of view, while if install it in the tiny room then you don’t need a camera that covers the wide field of view.
Resolution of video and image plays an important role to capture the quality footage. The more the resolution, clearer the footage. So, always opt for the camera with better resolution.
Night vision security camera helps to clearly see what’s going on around your property during the night or in complete darkness. Most of the night vision enabled camera use IR (infra-red) technology to capture the video in darkness. These cameras can be used in an outdoor and indoor setting. So, while buying the home security camera do consider the night vision as it helps to capture the activity even in the complete darkness.
Some home security camera has motion detection technology which means these cameras can detect the moving elements in their field of view. Once they identify the moving object, these cameras can start the recording or send an alert message to the property owner. This feature is helpful when you are away from your home as it will trigger you once somebody broke into your property.
Various brands of home security camera now has two-way communication feature. They are not the only camera but comes with inbuilt speakers so that the homeowner can interact with the visitors. This feature becomes useful when you install a security camera in the porch as it becomes easy to interact with visitors without opening the door or when you are away from the home you can utilize your smartphone for the same purpose.
Nowadays, most of the home security camera supports the wi-fi connectivity which makes them easy to install and you can connect it with the home wi-fi network for better accessibility of footage and storage. While buying see if the camera has wi-fi connectivity or not.
Capturing a quality image is an essential aspect while choosing the security camera for your home as you don’t need the low-quality footage where it becomes difficult to identify the face of the person who breaks into your property.
1. Mi MJSXJ02CM 360° Home Security Camera – Editor’s Choice
This security camera is brought to the market by ‘Xiaomi’ one of the leading Chinese company that deals in electronic appliances and the ‘Mi’ stand for the mobile internet. They are known for their quality products and Mi home security camera also got good attention from users.
The greatest strength of this camera is it comes with 20 megapixels. Almost, no other camera comes to close of 20MP in the Indian market of the home security camera. As a result 20MP camera, it provides greater quality images and video. It is one of the best 360 hd home security camera.
- As like other cameras on this list, it supports 2.4GHz wifi.
- It has AI enabled motion detection sensors and it provides motion detection alerts on the smartphone.
- It has a unique design which looks elegant and stands out among the vast majority of the camera in the market.
- It supports 5V power input and can work in the -10 to 50, making it suitable to use at extreme conditions of weather.
- Infrared night vision helps to capture the clear picture in darkness.
- With the help of smartphone app, the camera can rotate at 360 degree, allowing users to focus on the area where it matters most.
- Mi home security camera comes with the talkback feature that allows users to communicate two-way.
- The camera can be installed inverted or an upright position.
- It allows storing the footage over the 64GB SD card as well as network attached storage.
- Xiaomi came up with a new advanced video encoding technology that helps to smoothly stream the footage and save the bandwidth while not compromising on the quality of the video.
- Many users have appreciated the quality of the images
- Multiple users can access the camera footage at the same time.
- Easy to install and can also be install upside down.
- Effortless to install and smooth functioning
- Does not have 360-degree auto-rotation of camera. (Needs to be adjusted manually via app)
- Does not have battery backup and rely on the 24/7 power input.
2. Mi SXJ02ZM 1080P Basic Home Security Camera – Best Smart Home Security Camera
The Mi SXJ02ZM is a home security camera introduced to us by the leading Chinese manufacturing company, Xiaomi. This camera can work using Alexa. Hence, you can use the Amazon Echo to control its functions using the voice control feature.
The security camera is equipped with a wide-angle lens of 130 degrees. It captures videos in a high resolution of 1080 p with a frame rate of 20 fps. It also comes with night vision feature allowing you to see clear footage even in the dark. You can access multiple images on a single frame with its picture-in-picture mode.
- Records 1080 p full HD videos with a high frame rate of 20 fps.
- Comes with advanced AI detection for reducing false alarms.
- Features a wide viewing angle of 130 degrees.
- It comes with a talk-back feature that enables you to communicate two ways.
- The 10 m range infrared night vision allows you to capture footage in the dark.
- Ensures privacy of data by supporting local storage via micro SD cards and NAS storage.
- Features a picture-in-picture mode.
- Allows you to access multiple images on a single screen.
- It can connect to WiFi automatically in case of power failure.
- Easy to install and set up.
- Easy to operate using Alexa voice control.
- Picture quality is exceptional.
- The audio recording quality was poor.
3. Royallite Wireless HD IP WiFi CCTV Indoor Security Camera – Best Quality Picture
Royallite wireless camera is one of the best options that you can install for indoor video surveillance. ‘Royallite Security Group’ built this camera and the company is known to build good security solutions along with the video surveillance cameras for more than 15 years. Apart from video surveillance, the camera comes with several useful features and is lightweight and easy to install.
- It is a wireless camera that does not use batteries.
- Impressive remote control over camera rotation which can move in 360 degrees horizontally and vertically.
- It has in-built infra-red technology which enables HD night vision for better video capturing in a dark environment.
- This surveillance camera has ‘Motion Detection’ feature that captures any movement in the camera view field and sends alert to the users mobile. The user can then view the live video feed and even listen to the audio of what being spoken around the area of the camera.
- This camera provides the freedom to users when it comes to installation and it is a third-party software compatible. Users can either use the manufacturer’s app or third party apps to install the camera. It is also compatible with almost all leading browsers and integrates smoothly with third-party recording applications like Blue Iris.
- It comes with SD card slot so that users can save the data on SD cards for future reference.
- It has two-way audio wifi camera with anti-noise filter.
- Impressive quality of video and images
- Easy to setup
- Can talk and listen to the area of installation.
- Provides proper angle for a great view.
- No return policy
- Some users experienced that SD card slot does not work as it intended to.
4. Sricam WiFi Wireless SP007 2MP 1080p Waterproof Outdoor Security Camera – Best for Outdoor Use
Sricam wifi wireless camera is a product manufactured and marketed by the ‘Shenzhen Sricctv technology ltd’ located at the Shenzhen, China. They are known to build a quality security camera and have a wide range of products that includes the IP camera, CCTV, dome camera, infrared waterproof camera, etc.
Due to its quality product and comprehensive range of cameras, the company has received many accolades and certificates across the globe. ‘Sricam Wifi SP007’ captures the videos and images through 2MP camera and provides the outcome in the 1080 pixel resolution.
- The camera is built to use in outdoor settings and to stay strong in all weather; it is equipped with IP66 waterproof technology.
- The camera can provide the real-time footage as it supports the ONVIF’s protocol and records the footage in 1080 pixels at the rate of 20fps.
- The camera has infrared technology which allows night vision up to the 15m from the camera.
- The camera can detect the motions and send alerts the users email to keep them informed about any possible intruder.
- SD card (up to 128GB) can be easily installed in the camera system to store the footage. Also, the user can use the remote PC to store the footage.
- The camera is wifi and AP hotspot enabled. So, when it is connected with the internet, the user can track the footage from any corner of the world.
- It comes with the Android and iOS app so that users can have access to the system on the go. Using this app, you can switch the viewing modes and keep watch on footage at any time.
- Waterproof camera design
- Has a 1-year warranty
- Sturdy built.
- The camera takes low light images.
- Body of the camera is made from metal.
- Does not have a microphone so no two-way audio communication
- Initial setup may be tricky as it requires wired LAN cable.
- Provided LAN cable is short.
5. OPTIMACWORLD Wireless HD IP WiFi CCTV Indoor Security Camera – Easy Set Up
This wireless HD camera is brought to the market by ‘Optimacworld’ who exclusively deals in the security cameras and electronic sewing machines. ‘Optimacworld wireless HD wifi camera’ has few distinctive features like 360 panoramic view, and we found that is the easiest to set up among all the wireless home security cameras. You need to plug it in the power supply, and it will start doing its work.
- It looks like a bulb for a reason – It is equipped with an LED bulb and has a 360-degree panoramic camera for constant surveillance.
- Has strong app support so that the user can turn the LED lights on and off or can enable the 3D view of the camera. Apart from these prominent controls, the app provides various other controls.
- Footage can be saved in the SD card up to the 128GB.
- Has built-in microphones and speakers that allows two-way communication
- Has several view modes like panoramic mode, fisheye mode, etc.
- Equipped with several useful features like motion detection, manual and scheduled recording of footage, the backup can be stored on SD card or on remote PC, etc.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- It is easy to set up and the user just needs to plug it with the electricity and you can watch the live footage on a monitor.
- An elegant and modern look that does not mimic like a typical camera
- Users have appreciated its motion detection feature
- Does not support 5GHz wi-fi
6. ThinkValue Wifi Wireless HD IP Security Dome Camera CCTV – Best Picture Quality
ThinkValue is one of the leading security camera providers on Amazon India and received several positive reviews for its quality products. They deal in the security cameras and motion sensor solar light. ‘ThinkValue wifi wireless security camera’ has been praised by hundreds of users for its excellent features.
It can be used as a home security camera and is fairly easy to set up. It is equipped with all the leading features that a home camera should have like motion detection, night vision, two-way communication, etc. Let’s take a look at all the features and some pros and cons of this camera.
- The camera is wi-fi enabled and uses the Android or iOS app for easy setup.
- Once the camera is installed and set up to work with wi-fi, users can have remote access to it via the provided smartphone app.
- The camera has an inbuilt rotating motor which allows users to rotate the camera as per their requirement using the smartphone app controls.
- The camera can record the footage 24×7 or user can set it to record only when the motion is detected.
- The footage is then can be stored in the SD card (special slot for SD card provided) up to the 128GB.
- IR enabled night vision allows to capture the moments up to the 16 feet from the camera and provides the footage even in the complete darkness.
- This device allows two-way audio communication so that users can have the ability to talk with visitors from remote places using their smartphone app.
- Elegant design
- Covers a wide range of area
- Easy installation
- Users have appreciated its picture quality
- Several users experienced that the camera either creates the grainy images or stop working after a couple of months.
7. D3D LF-P1t WiFi CCTV Indoor Security Camera – Best Motion Detection
D3D security group is serving the people various security and surveillance solutions for the last 15 years and has several offices across the globe. Apart from the offices, they have more than 32 service centers, which is one of the reasons they can able to provide satisfactory service to the customer.
The most interesting feature of this security camera is that it comes with a push to talk button that allows users to call directly to the mobile phone in case of emergency. This feature adds to the security of your family as it can easily connect with you in emergencies.
- The device uses a 2MP camera and provides 1280x1080p resolution for better image quality.
- User can configure all the camera controls using the provided smartphone app.
- Offers 3D panoramic navigation
- Vertical and horizontal rotations provide the ability to cover the maximum area as per the requirement of the users.
- The camera supports two-way audio communication via in-built microphone and speakers.
- The camera is equipped with several other features like IR enabled night vision, SD card storage up to 128GB, panoramic view, etc.
- Emergency push to talk button
- No need for hard drive or DVR because it has an inbuilt microphone and speaker to speak with your family and the videos are saved directly to your SD card
- Easy camera installation using wireless and wi-fi solutions.
- Users have appreciated the camera motion detection ability
- Maximum size of SD card supported is 128GB
- Limited ability to use third-party cloud services
8. Sricam SP Series SP005 Wireless HD IP Wi-Fi CCTV Indoor Security Camera – Best for Night Vision
We already talked about the quality of the products built by ‘Shenzhen Sricctv technology ltd’. No wonder we picked one more camera from them which comes with that same quality and gathered hundreds of positive reviews on Amazon.
The camera is called a smart pan-tilt camera as the user can pan/tilt it using the smartphone app. The camera can be kept on a flat surface like a table or can also be hung on the ceiling using the wall mounting bracket which is provided with it.
- Comes with the smartphone app that provides a control panel to control the camera settings as well as you can watch the footage on the mobile screen
- Video or image footage is captured in the 720p HD quality.
- The camera app is multi-user access enabled so that multiple users or all family members can have access to the footage at the same time.
- Night vision enabled camera that can capture the footage up to the 32 feet long.
- Footage can be stored locally using the 128Gb SD card or can be stored remotely on PC or in NVR
- The camera can easily be configured by downloading the SRICAM app and connecting it with home wifi.
- It provides two-way communication with crystal clear audio.
- Portable security camera
- Good picture and audio quality
- Durable device
- Smooth camera movements controlled from the mobile app
- The sound is not clear
- Its app consumes a lot of mobile’s battery
9. V.T.I. IP Dual Antenna WiFi Enabled Wireless Indoor Security Camera with Night Vision – Best Wi-Fi Enabled Camera
Pan tilt camera by V.T.I is an IP dual antenna camera which has WiFi enabled for better connectivity. From home security camera to the digital spy cameras, V.T.I. deals in a wide range of cameras.
The camera use P2P cloud function, which eliminates the need for port mapping so that the user can easily view the footage and control the camera remotely using Android/iOS app.
- The camera is pan-tilt movement enabled and can rotate horizontally at 355 degrees and 110 degrees vertically.
- The camera supports the WiFi connection, which means it can go wireless, which makes it easy to install at any part of the home.
- The camera supports higher resolution and comes with a lower bit rate, which means the user will get a clear image, but the smoothness of video will be compromised.
- It records video in 720p resolution and provides HD output.
- The system comes with the H.264 video compression megapixels CMOS sensor. CMOS is cheaper than CCD technology and consumes less power.
- The camera gets triggered when it found any movement in the targeted area and takes the snapshot and send it over the mobile app.
- IR cut double filter technology allows the camera to switch the image processing between day and night light automatically
- Instant notification on detection of movement
- Two-way audio communication enabled.
- Good picture quality
- Simple installation
- Does not support the 5G network.
- Does not have a backup battery
10. FINICKY-WORLD V380 Wireless HD IP Security Camera – Quality under Budget
One more dome-shaped camera on our list which delivers exactly what it says. FINICKY-WORLD mostly deals in the cameras for the home security and this one got several positive reviews for users on Amazon.
Thy camera typically looks like the dome and has two antennae for better wifi communication. As like other cameras on the list, this camera also records the footage in high definition provides the live access to the footage.
- The camera is easy to set up but require the WiFi connection to complete the installation.
- As it utilizes the wireless network and connects with wifi, users can see the live feed of camera using provided smartphone app on Android or iOS.
- As like many other cameras in the same range, this camera can rotate vertically and horizontally using the inbuilt rotating motor.
- Records the footage on SD card up to the 64GB
- The camera can either record 24×7 or can start the recording only when the motion is detected.
- It supports two-way audio communication
- The camera has night vision and can record up to the 16 feet distance from the camera.
- Captures wide area
- Comes at affordable price
- Fast camera movements
- Many users have appreciated its night vision
- Only works with 2.4GHz wifi router
11. SPYON V380 Wireless WiFi IP Camera – Best Night Vision Enabled Camera
SPYON majorly deals in the wireless IP cameras and has a wide range of products to choose from. SPYON V380 is easy to set up the camera and has an inbuilt rotating machine which allows its users to move the camera in the horizontal and vertical direction so that it can focus on the required area.
- Simple to set up. Though this camera does not support the 5G wi-fi network, it is easy to set up with lesser generation wi-fi.
- Android and iOS app that comes with this camera enables quick access to the camera from any corner of the world.
- It has an in-built rotating motor which helps to move the camera vertically and horizontally.
- Recording can be done either after motion detection or you can opt to record 24×7. Recording can be stored on SD card as it has a slot for SD card. It supports 64GB SD card.
- During the night, it can capture the things up to the 16 feet. Night vision feature allows its users to capture the moments during complete darkness.
- As like various other cameras, it comes with two-way audio support so that you can communicate with the person next to the camera.
- The camera can capture everything in the HD quality and 720p resolutions.
- HD footage (Can be stored in SD card)
- Two-way audio communication
- Night vision enabled.
- Supports 2.4Ghz wifi
- No LAN port
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What should I look for when buying house security cameras?
You should look for the following when buying a home security camera:
- High-Resolution picture quality so that you can identify the face of the visitor.
- Motion detection feature to detect movement in the field of view.
- It should have built-in speakers and talk back feature to initiate two-way communication.
- Infrared Night-vision for capturing clear footage even in the dark.
- It should be easy to set up using WiFi connectivity.
The buyer’s guide provided in this article explains all the factors and features you should look for in a home security camera.
2. How many cameras do I need for home security?
Most homes will require three to four security cameras. A doorbell camera is needed to keep an eye on the front door.
You will need two outdoor security cameras for monitoring the front and back of the house. An indoor camera will monitor the safety of your valuables and family members inside the house.
3. How much does home camera cost?
In India, several companies deal with home security cameras, and the market has a wide range of products. The cost camera mostly depends upon the features it provides and how easy it to use.
The price approximately ranges from Rs. 1500 to several thousand rupees. Buying costlier camera does not mean that it might be a good fit for you, to get what fits your need you need to understand its features, pros, and cons. Recently, companies started to provide good cameras at a decent price.
4. Do the home security systems help to prevent crime?
If you are like me, you might wonder if the home security system helps to avoid or reduce the frequency of crime, then the answer is YES.
Several studies concluded that the presence of a home security system reduces the chances of burglary. The University of North Carolina at Charlotte conducted a detailed study on this subject and questioned around 400 incarcerated individuals who found guilty in the burglary. More than 60% of individuals from this study admitted that they will move away to the other home if they found the home security system installed in the home they are planning to rob.
5. What component should be included for a better home security system?
Though we are discussing home security cameras in this post, several other components play an essential role in improving home security like fire alarm, glass break alarm, motion detectors, etc.
The most essential components that every individual should have in the home for better family security are as follows:
- Indoor and outdoor cameras with two-way audio and video communication.
- Motion sensors that allow to detect the motion and triggers the alarm accordingly.
- Door and window sensors – are specially designed sensors that run using closed circuit, but when the door is opened this circuit gets breaks and alarm gets triggered.
- Smoke detectors – apart from all above, smoke detectors got a special place on the list of important component to improving the home security.
6. Do you need WIFI for home security cameras?
As discussed earlier, home security cameras use two modes to work – first is wired and other is wireless. Wired home security camera requires the wired network to work while wireless does not require wire network but run on the Wi-Fi network. So, practically you can install and run a home security camera without or with wifi and it all depends upon which camera you prefer.
7. Which is better wired or wireless security cameras?
Home security cameras can work with wired or without wired network. Both of them has its own advantage and disadvantages.
A wired security camera does not require batteries, they run on the power supply so may become useless during the power outage. Also, they are relatively cheaper than the wireless cameras but needs to be fixed at a permanent position.
While wireless camera provides an abundance of flexibility, as they run on batteries and uses wifi, you can install them anywhere and can move from place to another. They can connect easily with wifi and seamlessly integrate with the provided smartphone app and provide live access to feed and motion alerts. The only downside of these cameras is they need frequent battery support.
Overall, it is safe to assume that wifi camera has a better advantage than wired but it all depends upon personal preferences.
8. Can security cameras be hacked?
Yes, wired and wireless security cameras can easily be hacked into. Hackers can hack the wifi network of your home can gain access to camera or in case of wired camera they can break into the DVR-system. To prevent or minimize the chance of getting your security camera hacked practice the following things:
- Opt for a camera that has been encrypted with advanced technology
- Keep your security camera password strong enough so that no one can guess it.
- Keep your wifi password strong so that no one can break into wifi network and hack the camera
- Install the latest anti-virus software and firewalls for your security camera network.
Overall, the home security camera is one of the must-have devices that helps to secure the premises of your home. If you are looking for the camera that provides the quality image then opt for the ‘Mi MJSXJ02CM’ which record the footage in 1080 pixels and has a 20MP camera. Our picks are Royallite Wireless Security Camera and Sricam SP Series SP005 Wireless Camera.