Top 10 Digital Pianos
In past years, our parents and the children were traditional in their thinking and ideas. While children were only into studies and did not involve themselves in other co-curricular activities as such, this did not help in the overall development of children. It had many other benefits which included, developing a relationship with other people, commitment towards your designated work and your time-management skills.
If we look at today’s date, we could see a vast amount of changes which is known as extracurricular activities. They do not consider studies only as the development criteria for students. People have come to know that indulging yourselves in other extra-curricular activities allow us to grow better. Now many of them have chosen, sports, music, arts as their way of learning.
Nowadays we could see a large number of people indulging themselves into a form of art such as music and dance. Music has been preferred more by people not only in vocals but also into other musical instruments and percussions. Music is so vast that anyone of us can dive into its divine presence.
One such instrument is digital piano, about which this whole article is about. To find the best digital piano, this article will guide with what are the best features to look out for. One should know the difference between an acoustic piano and a digital one.
In this article, you will get information on Why one should learn musical instruments, the benefits of learning musical instruments, the difference between an acoustic and digital piano, advantages, common terms used and a comprehensive buyers guide. We have also mentioned our Top 10 Recommended products that you can buy if you wish to and few FAQ’sto help solve any of your doubts.
Top 10 Digital Pianos
why one should learn music
- Music Stimulates health benefits: Music education at a very early age allows a child’s brain to develop by improving your communication skills, verbal and visual skills. A perfect method of learning music for a one whole month showed a child could understand the world very well and explain it as well.
- Keeps elderly brain healthy: Playing or listening music keeps your brain healthy and alert. Your responses to the real world rime increases. Playing music can exercise your brain and can boost and sharpen your memory power. A person suffering from brain damage can also be healed if he listens to good music. Music is really powerful.
- Makes you happy: The power of music is vast and if you are depressed and going through something that has been irritating you for long, music is the best answer to it. It can easily change your mood from bad to good. Engaging yourselves into music releases a chemical called dopamine which is known as a feel-good chemical.
- Blood pressure and pulse rate: Number of studies have proved that music strengthens your heart and is a very good source of healing for people suffering from cardiac diseases. It also releases a chemical called endorphin inside your brain which is very good for your heart.
- Music reduces your pain and boosts your immune system: Level of cortisol which is responsible for causing heart diseases and risks is increasing. It lowers your bone density an also cause the weakening of your immune system. Uplifting music has always helped in increasing your immune system and reduces any kinds of pain you are suffering from.
Benefits of learning Piano
There are a lot of instruments which are used in music, and all of them have their features, uses, and uniqueness. None of them can be compared to any other based on its level of importance or standards in music. With this article, we have brought in front of the users, the importance of using Digital pianos in music. Pianos have been considered a little easier to use and play as compared to other musical instruments. Let us know about some upper hands of playing the piano.
- Split concentration: While playing the piano, you need to take care of a lot of things, you need to use your both hands, listen to the music, read the notes, match your scales and sometimes even use a pedal. There is a lot more to do together and the amount of concentration that you need while playing the piano is very high. This allows you to multi-task outside easily and benefits you in the outside world as well.
- It is easy to play: Unlike other instruments, playing the piano does not need much physical pain and exercises. While playing any percussion instruments, you need to hit them using your hands, and while using woodwind instruments, the facial muscles and lips need to work properly. While playing the guitar for the first time, you need to build calluses on your fingers. So considering all these things, playing the piano is far easier than playing the other instruments.
- Neuroplasticity: Playing the piano develops your brain in a positive way and stimulates it as no other activity does. While playing it, you are developing your memory, test, math and concentration skills together.
- Improved test scores/School performance: For children who are still studying in their school, playing the piano helps develop your brain, and it will increase your test scores and school performance as well. It is more likely that you would be able to focus more on your studies.
- Improves your health: Playing the piano allows you to develop your hand-eye coordination and it also benefits your hand and arm muscles by making them strong. It improves your respiratory skills as well.
- Makes your life beautiful: Music is the best way to relax and increase your value in life and playing the piano can bring out strong emotions inside the listener as well as the player. Music is a language that crosses everyone’s heart and playing the piano is an emotion.
What is the difference between acoustic and digital piano?
The main difference between a digital and an acoustic piano is how the sound is created. In traditional acoustic pianos, the sound is produced by channeling the fingers. As soon as your fingers strike the keys, it presses into the hammer which in turn strikes the strings. The vibration produced by the striking of the string produces the sound. When these vibrations produced by the string combined with the resonance of those that were not struck, produce unique sounds.
Tuning is a process which lets you know if the strings are very loosened or tight. If any of these gets disturbed, the quality of the sound produced would be very low, and it would not create a soothing effect on you. Digital pianos do not require to be tuned as they are electrically operated, the acoustic pianos need to be properly tuned before use.
In terms of the price in which they are available, the digital pianos are much cheaper than those of the Acoustic ones. They can cost you around ten times the digital pianos.
Advantages of Digital Piano
Whenever you wish to buy a piano, you need to know well about the pros and cons of buying it and what are the other options which are available in the market other than that. Let us look at the advantages that the digital piano offers.
- You can use a headphone along with it so that only you can hear its sound and none of the people sitting around you gets disturbed by it.
- You can record the sound which you play so that you can hear it later.
- The volume of the playing can be adjusted easily with buttons.
- In terms of repairing and maintenance, your piano will save you a lot.
- Digital piano take less space as compared to acoustic piano.
- They are inexpensive than the acoustic piano.
What are the common terms used in a digital piano?
You may not be familiar with all the abbreviation which are used in keyboard manuals. Understanding all these common terms would help you make the most of the digital piano.
- Action: It is used when describing the feel or touch of a keyboard.
- ADSR: It generally stands for attack, decay, sustain and release.
- Aftertouch: It is that point while pressing the keys that it sounds like a rubber strip that reads extra pressure.
- Assignable controller: It is a device that specifies all the parameter that it controls under it.
- Attack: When you play the instrument, the beginning part of the sound is called an attack.
- Auto-accompaniment: Often made up of a number of instruments, from simple note or chord input and which plays in the background
- Controller: 1. A part in your piano that can be used to send MIDI messages to vary the sound.
- C/V: 1. Control Voltage, an electrical source used in analogue synthesis to vary a parameter.
- Cutoff: It is that point of the filter that does either of the two things, it either passes or blocks an audio signal.
- Damper pedal: It is also called a sustain pedal and it is that pedal which when pressed, continues to play the same note until it is released
- DSP: Its full form is Digital signal processing.
- Effects: Signal that modifies a sound, such as reverb, chorus, delay, distortion.
- Envelope: It changes dynamically and can be considered as the parameters used while pressing a note such as frequency, amplitude or pitch.
- Filter: Altering tone or timbre of a sound by removing or emphasizing specific frequencies.
- Fine Tuning: Change the pitch of a sound by small amounts. Usually represented in cents or hertz. It is used instead of not transposing when slightly the tune is out of pitch.
- Glide: The sliding of pitch between notes and it is also called Portamento.
- Graded action: It is basically designed to mimic the real grand piano. The lower note tends to feel heavier and it tends to get lighter as you go to the higher notes.
- Half pedalling: The ability to press a sustain pedal with graduated or varying depth and response.
- Jack: A female connector or input receptacle. It comes in various sizes and standards according to the instrument.
- Keybed: It is used to describe the keys of the keyboard and the mechanism lying under it.
- Layer: It is very important that you master your piano and it can only happen if you can play different notes at the same time. This ability is called a layer.
- MIDI: It is important that there is a real-world connection between the musical instrument and the outside world. You need to transfer and import files to play in your piano. This can be done through MIDI which is also called Musical Instrument Digital Interface.
- Modulation: It is called your ability to transform any parameter such as pitch, frequency and tempo.
- Oscillator: A sound source, which produces or plays back waveforms.
- Pan: A sound’s position from the left or right in the stereo field and it is often called the balance control.
- Pitch bend wheel: With the help of this, you can manually change the pitch by just bending the wheel up or down.
- Preset: A sound that is stored at a particular memory location.
- Quantize: Fix rhythmic inaccuracies in your performance.
- Random-access memory : memory loaction that can be replaced multiple times.
- Rhythms: Drumbeats and grooves are built in the keyboard in many musical styles, which adds beauty to your playing.
- Sample rate: When the audio is converted from analogue to digital, the number of times that it is measured per second is called the sample rate.
- Sampler: Edits, alters and playbacks the audio that is being recorded.
- Standard MIDI File: A file that can be shared by using its extension (.mid)
- Sustain: The level at which the value remains until you let go of the key.
- Tempo: It can be explained as the speed of the beat which is being performed.
- Transpose: To shift the keyboard’s pitch up or down.
- Tuning: To change the pitch of the keyboard.
- Universal Serial Bus (USB): A connection method to connect to the outside world, also called pen-drive
- Zone: A set of keys on a keyboard when it’s divided up into multiple regions for the split and layered setups.
Now if you have made up your mind into buying a digital piano, you need to look at some points which helps you to choose the best one from the market.
- Convenience/portability: As compared to the acoustic pianos, digital pianos are much lighter and easier to handle. But there are some products which are heavy too and needs a lot of strain while carrying them with you. If you are a constant player in shows, you need to look about carrying them, so convenience plays a very important role in it.
- Volume/Versatility: Traditional piano’s volume usually depends on how high you strike the keys, while the digital pianos have volume function which allows you to control the volume while you play it. Thanks to the headphone feature, you can play them silently as well without disturbing the other members of your house.
- Recording capability: Most of the digital pianos have the feature for recording what you play. It helps you when you are learning to play it and want to know how you are progressing. The recording capability of the piano must be good which lets you figure out easily what/how you are playing it.
- Connectivity: The new models that are coming out in the market are smarter than the traditional ones. They have MIDI connectivity to connect to computers and other equipment. Many of them also have a USB drive which lets you connect to a USB and also accepts flash memory card in some models which allows you to copy and paste files from/into it.
- Teaching/learning tools: Not everyone who plays the piano is an expert in playing it. Many of them must be learning them and it would be a good option if it has Chord displays, metronome, learning lessons etc. which allows you to increase your learning skills with the help of these. Some of the models also have a dual jack for headphones which allows both teacher and student to practice playing them silently.
- Cost: It is very important to choose a product within your budget and price. You must have a clear picture of what you want to select and does it fit under your budget.
1. Yamaha PSRF51 61-Keys Portable Keyboard
Yamaha digital paino PSRF51 61-Keys Portable Keyboard is a starter keyboard for anyone who wishes to play music and learn it. It is incredibly easy to use because of the color-coded panel that makes it easy for you to choose and play functions. It is just a perfect example of an intuitive control panel. Let us also look at the other features that come along with it.
- It has about 120 voices and 114 styles.
- The built-in metronome allows you to master over your sense of rhythm while you practice.
- Instead of using it through an adapter, you can also operate it using 6 AA batterieswhich are either rechargeable or not.
- This keyboard offers great sound and the key quality is also very good.
- The transpose and sustain feature that comes along with this keyboard is something that we would feel loved with.
- It is good if you are a beginner and you are using it.
- The speakers are also nice and sound good on the ears.
- It does not come along with a bag which reduces the portability factor of this keyboard.
2. Yamaha PSRI455 Digital Keyboard
Yamaha PSRI455 Digital Keyboard, Silver comes in with a lot of voices and sounds which allows you to play a variety of songs and tones. It comes along with knob type functions which makes it very easy for use. It is designed as a keyboard for beginners as well as the advanced players.
- It features a number of enhancements to core functions.
- It is versatile because it can be connected to the outside world using the USB drive. Now import and export files to it and enhance your music playing experience.
- It has 19 Indian voices and 26 Indian styles included. Has its own 10-song and a 6-track sequencer
- It has great Indian sounds as well as other sounds.
- It comes along with a stand which allows you to easily place it while you are playing it.
- The sound quality is extremely good for use and the speakers also work perfectly fine.
- It is a little slow to be operated. It takes almost 3 seconds for the synthesizer to start processing and to change the voice to piano or any other
3. Casio CTK-2550 61-Key Portable Keyboard
If you want to gift your child a piano who is beginning to learn to play it, this keyboard would be a great option. Casio digital paino CTK-2550 61-Key Portable Keyboard comes with a lot of tones and rhythms along with it, pre-installed which allows you to play a variety of tones and music. Along with it, there are a lot of features of this product
- It is built in with Dance Music modes with about 50 dance music rhythms.
- It comes along with Chordata play app integration.
- 400 tone and 100 rhythms, 48 note polyphony, step-up lesson system, all these features allow you to master playing a keyboard with a variety of tones.
- Comes with app integration/dance music mode.
- It is a good quality build keyboard because of the fact that the keys are well balanced and responsive.
- The quality of sound which is produced by the piano is a very important thing when you buy a keyboard. Its sound quality is very good.
- It comes along with a fair number of built-in melodies.
- It is recommended for beginners
- AUX cable was not included along with it.
- The power adapter is a local branded and doesn’t seem to be working for long terms.
4. Yamaha PSR-E-363 61-Key Touch Sensitive Portable Keyboard
At the stage of beginner, it is not advisable that you buy a piano that has multi-functions which cannot be understood easily. This Yamaha digital piano is a Key Touch Sensitive Portable Keyboard is the most preferable choice for beginners are hobbyists who wish to learn and play the keyboard. The portable and light-weight size of this keyboard allows you to carry it easily wherever you want to. Let us look at the features of this product.
- It has touch sensitive functions keys that makes your playing experience better and cool.
- Y.E.S( Yamaha Education suite) allows you to practice using the preset MIDI files or allows you to load them to your device and helps you practice using a single hand or using both of them together.
- The connectivity provided with this device using the USB connection allows you to transfer MIDI files into it and make it a music playing software.
- It is easy, to begin with learning using this keyboard because it comes along with onboard lessons installed in it which makes it easy for the beginners.
- The connectivity provided with this piano allows it to connect your mobile as well as laptop and convert this piano into music making software.
- The warranty for this product is 36 months against faulty design, workmanship or materials.
- A free adapter comes along with it.
- The volume is quite low. Even at 30% volume, you would not be able to hear any clear sounds.
5. RockJam RJ761 Electronic Piano Keyboard
You feel satisfied after buying a product only when it offers you the best features and specifications that gives you the best result and output. RockJam RJ761 61 Keys Electronic Interactive Teaching Piano Keyboard is one such option for the users as it comes along with the stand, sustain pedal and even headphones that allow you to practice silently without disturbing others.
- It comes along with 200 high-quality rhythms/ tones and 50 songs.
- Additional functionalities that come along with it are the stand, the stool, sustain pedal and even headphones.
- The keyboard has 61 function keys and is also easily portable from one place to another. Now play the keyboard wherever you feel like.
- The connectivity of this keyboard is good because of the fact that it comes along with a MIDI connectivity which allows you to connect your piano with mobile, Ipad, laptop.
- Offer 30 free tunes on their iPad app.
- It has record and playback functionality which allows you to record whatever you play. Best for learning.
- It has a keypad which is touch-sensitive.
- It is value for money product if you wish to buy it.
- The quality of keyboard keys is very good.
- The app they provide for free songs can only be downloaded on iPad.
6. Casio CTK-3500 61-Key Portable Keyboard
Casio CTK-3500 61-Key Portable Keyboard, Black is made up of 61 keys and 48 notes polyphony. With a huge number of voices, tones and rhythms, it becomes one of the most preferred choices for the users. It is the best in class digital pianos for beginners as well as advanced players. It brings about a lot of features and benefits of buying it.
- It is designed with 400 tones (13 Indian) and 100 rhythms (12 Indian), 50 dance music rhythms with dance music mode.
- It can be operated using 9.5V dc external power.
- The connectivity provided by this product makes it far more efficient and man-friendly. It comes along with input/output terminals: headphones output, sustain/damper, audio-in, USB type-b (USB cable (a-b type) required to use USB terminal for computer connection).
- It also has pedals: Standard jack (sustain, sOStenuto, soft, rhythm).
- At this price, it is a great MIDI controller for the users.
- It can run even on AA batteries.
- It has a wonderful build quality which makes it a very good option.
- It has key Transpose: ±1 octaves (-12 to 0 to +12 semitones)
- Low volume speakers.
- The keyboard display does not have light in it.
7. Nektar Impact GX61 USB MIDI Keyboard Controller
Nektar Impact GX61 USB MIDI Keyboard Controller, Black also falls under the most trusted products out of all these. Nektar DAW Integration supports Bitwig 8-Track improves and enhances the sound and music-playing experience, which makes it one of the prefered choices for the users. Let us look at all the other features of this product.
- It is designed as a 49-or 61 note full-sized velocity sensitive keyboard.
- Nektar products are synonymous with DAW integration and the Impact GX61 is no exception, which makes it one of the best products out of all these products.
- It makes a fantastic combination by using Nektar Impact GX and Bitwig 8-Track together.
- Reasonable price range.
- It is extremely light-weighted and is easily portable from one place to another.
- The price is very affordable.
- It looks very professional with its no rounded edge design that it comes with.
- Keys start to make noise after using it for some times.
8. Roland EX-20 Arranger Keyboard
It always feels good when you can play a variety of songs through your keyboard. No one wishes to stick to the same old thing every time. You need varieties. Roland digital paino EX-20 Arranger Keyboard is a keyboard which serves you this purpose by coming along with many voices and internal songs. Let us also look at the other features of this product.
- It is a keyboard which is designed with 61 keys for play and functions.
- It is 128 voices and about 140 internal songs.
- The connectivity provided by this keyboard is far better than the other similar ones. It has connectors: Phone jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type, OUTPUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type, SUSTAIN jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
- The sound quality produced by the keyboard is up to the mark and worth this price.
- The volume produced by the keyboard and as well as its speakers is reproduced superbly.
- For easy connection to the outside world, it has a USB drive which allows you to connect and share the MIDI files and tracks making it more versatile.
- The keys are very smooth while playing.
- No bags are included.
9. Roland RP-102 Digital Piano With Stand
If you wish to buy a product which has an authentic look and which performs similar to those that the present pianos work, you should choose Roland RP-102 Digital Piano With Stand. With its traditional and authentic look, the beauty of this product increases. Apart from that, there are other features to it. Let us take a look.
- It is an authentic Piano that performs with modern connectivity.
- It comes along with a stand as well which allows it to place safely wherever you want it.
- You can easily connect it with a pedal as well.
- Learn faster using this keyboard and have fun while playing it.
- The stand allows it to be placed safely while playing.
- The stand is a little bigger in size that consumes a lot of space.
10. Alesis VX49 49-Key USB MIDI Keyboard and Drum Pad Controller
If you want to gift your child a piano who is very interested in playing it, Alesis VX49 49-Key USB MIDI Keyboard and Drum Pad Controller with Color Screen is one of the best options. The looks are really mesmerizing which makes the child attracted towards it and will love it playing.
- It is designed as an integrated 4.3-inch high-resolution full-color screen with dedicated interface buttons.
- It has a custom 49-key Alesis semi-weighted key bed with aftertouch.
- It also comes along with 8 performance ready 360-degree knobs which allows you to perform multiple functions and makes keyboard-playing easy and interesting.
- The screen provides 1:1, real-time feedback of plugin parameters.
- The tones and rhythms which are built-in this product are superb and soothing while playing.
- It is a very nice midi controller for mainstage and FL studio live
- It is not at all preferable for an advanced piano player.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many keys should a digital piano have?
Digital pianos can have as few as 25 keys and can have maximum up to 88 keys. Most of the digital pianos that are most widely sold in the market has about 61 keys or more.
2. How to clean and maintain a digital piano?
It is very important that you maintain your piano in a well-defined way. Most of the people who play it, often consider it very important and the maintenance is a key point while you buy it.
- Do not keep it near open windows and gates because of the dust that comes inside through it.
- Always keep it covered by a dust cover. There is no way to prevent it from dust rather than covering it well.
- Do not place your piano near a shelf or somewhere where there is a risk of falling objects. The buttons and keys on your piano are fragile and even a slight weight on it can cause damage.
- Clean your hands while playing it.
- Keep beverages away from the piano.
- To clean your digital pianos, all you need is a handheld vacuum, two cloths and earbuds. First, blow the vacuum cleaner over it. Now take a cloth which is slightly wet. Clean it using that and then take the second cloth which is dry and clean the piano using it. For hard reached areas, it is preferable that you should use ear-buds.
Each product has its own pros and cons. With all the specifications and features listed above, thebest product that is suggested for the users is, Yamaha PSRF51 61-Keys Portable Keyboard. It is amazingly versatile because of the variety of tones and rhythm which it has. The built-in metronome allows you to practice and also develop a sense of tempo and rhythm. The speakers are very good and it offers great sound quality. Talking about the budget, it is not too priced.
Another product that we would suggest for our users is, Casio CTK-2550 61-Key Portable Keyboard. It comes along with Chordata play integration app which allows you to master of this piano. With a variety of songs and tones it offers, it becomes one of the most preferred choices. It has brilliant sound quality and perfectly fine keys. Talking about the budget, it is not at all costly.