Top 8 Cat Litter Essentials
While welcoming a new cat or cute kittens in your home takes you over the moon, cleaning up their excreta is not a pleasant experience.
That’s why you need cat litter essentials that make your cleaning easy and comfortable. This helps in maintaining utmost hygiene and cleanliness.
While the cat litter tray provides a private place for your cats to excrete their waste and prevents it from spreading around the house, the cat litter essentials are the accessories that help in keeping the litter tray and surroundings clean and odor-free.
There are other products which also help in cleaning the litter box, also ensuring an odor-free and neat surrounding. This article highlights the different types of cat litter and housecleaning products.
Top 8 Litter and Housekeeping Products in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
The Long-Lasting Litter
Value for Money
Best Odor Remover
The Practical and Cute Scooper
Best Sieve and Scoop Set
The Economical Cat Litter
Types of housekeeping products
A cat litter scoop is a handy tool when it comes to cleaning the litter box. It is usually made using plastic or metal and comes with holes along with a long handle.
A cat litter scoop with small holes has a practical and convenient design that allows you to scoop out the waste from the litter. The waste is then disposed of off safely using this tool.
Another important cat essential is the cat litter box. A good cat litter box has all the features and benefits to keeps your house clean and also provides your cat a private space to answer the nature’s call.
This also ensures your cat’s safety by preventing them from having to go outdoors to get relief.
Odor and Stain Remover
As the name suggests these are products formulated keeping in mind the safety of your pet. They are made using non-toxic elements and natural fragrances like lavender to remove odor and any unwanted stains of urine or waste.
It ensures that the cat litter box and its surroundings remain clean with a fresh smell.
Types of Litter
This litter is made from granulated bentonite clay. They also might contain quartz or silica. The main feature of this natural product is that it absorbs moisture easily to form solid mass like clumps which can be easily scooped out with the waste.
It prevents you from having to change the entire litter, hence it lasts longer.
This type of litter should not be flushed in a toilet as it can easily get clogged because of its clumping nature.
Non-Clumping Conventional Litter
Non-clumping cat litter is a clay-based litter made of zeolite, diatomite, and sepiolite. They absorb moisture but do not clump like clumping litter.
Moreover, when poured into a litter box, it might give out a strong odor. Hence, the litter boxes with this litter should be kept in basements or in areas of the house which are not used much.
However, certain non-clumping litter contains baking soda or odorized crystals which can lessen the odor.
Biodegradable litter is the environmental litter that is made using resources like pine wood pellets, recycled newspaper, sawdust, walnuts, barley, soy pulp, dried orange peel, etc. They are safe to use as well as very safe to dispose of, unlike the other litter.
This litter also has deodorizing properties that masks odor to give you an odor-free litter box and surrounding. However, the only drawback is that it is more expensive than clay litter.
This is also referred to as ‘crystal litter’ and has a porous granular form with the highest moisture absorption rate. It can absorb the liquid and odor of a healthy adult cat for up to 30 days.
Once the litter is saturated it starts smelling, notifying you that it is time to change the litter.
Unlike clumping litter or any other litter, you don’t have to constantly replace the litter after the waste has been scooped out. You only need to stir the cat litter crystals to avoid pooling of the urine.
These is a chemical and clay-free litter that removes odor and keeps you home clean with a fresh pine smell. It absorbs moisture and locks in the odor of ammonia. This is a type of non-clumping biodegradable litter that is made from 100% natural and pure pine.
This is a type of clumping litter that uses wheat as its primary ingredient. The natural wheat enzymes mask the bad odors and clumps up easily. This makes it easily scoop-able.
These are free of chemicals and harmful substances. Hence, it is safe for your cat to use. Moreover, the texture adds to the comfort of your cat.
Buyer’s Guide for Cat Litter Essentials
There are different types of litter for you to choose from. The most suitable choices are clumping litter that is easily scoop-able and biodegradable litter that is safe to use and easy to dispose of. You can also go for silica gel litter that requires no replenishing.
If you choose non-clumping conventional litter, be sure to go for the ones that come with baking soda or odorized crystals that mask the odor otherwise you will need to place it at a corner of the house which is not used much like the basement.
Ensure that the litter you purchase has the ability to mask the bad odor with its odor-eliminating feature. Go for a product that is enhanced with a light perfume of a natural fragrance like that of lavender.
The litter should have baking soda that locks in the smell of ammonia to ensure a clean litter box and surroundings with a fresh smell.
- Absorbing capability
If you go for a clumping litter ensure that it has an ultra-absorbent feature that absorbs moisture quickly and clumps up readily to form a solid mass like texture.
This allows you to scoop out the waste along with the clumped up litter so that you can dispose of safely and replace the scooped out litter with fresh litter. Moreover, a superabsorbent litter ensures a reduction in odor.
A cat has an instinctive desire to cover its waste with mud or any other substance like sand. Go for the litter which comes with a granular texture to satisfy this urge. Moreover, it ensures comfort to your cat’s paws making it a pleasant experience for your furry friend.
- Level of Clumping
The level of clumping depends upon the absorption of the litter. The faster the litter absorbs the moisture the faster it will clump. The more the level of clumping the more it will be easier to scoop out the waste.
However, more clumping would mean having to replace the clumped litter with fresh litter frequently.
There are different types of housekeeping products that aim in keeping your home clean with no bad smell. The different types of products are cat litter scooper, litter box, and odor and stain remover.
The product you buy should be made using non-toxic material that is safe for the use of your cat. Even the scooper and cat litter box should be made using non-toxic plastic material.
The odor and stain remover should be free from harmful chemicals so that your cat’s safety is always ensured.
The odor and stain remover you purchase should have a fresh scent that masks the odor. Go for a natural fragrance like that of lavender or a baby scent. Cats are sensitive to smell so you need to go for lightly perfumed deodorizers that make it a pleasant experience for your pet.
- Scoop Design
The scoop you buy should be made using good quality plastic or metal. The design should be practical with holes and a long handle that will allow you to scoop out the litter conveniently. There are available in different colors and designs for you to choose from.
1. Emily Pets Easy Clean Cat Litter
If you are annoyed with the cat litter and its smell, you should buy Emily Pets Fresh Scented Cat Litter. It is made up of 100% Natural Wyoming Bentonite for even stronger clumps.
This makes the product durable and the right preference for users to buy. Let us have a look at the features of this product.
- This cat litter is made up of Natural Wyoming Bentonite.
- It contains Western Cedar chips for natural odor control.
- The cat litter includes Sanel, a natural cat attractant made from tree resin.
- Sanel helps you to toilet-train your cats.
- The cat litter essential is super absorbent and very easy to scoop out.
- It is very long-lasting, which makes it a very durable option to buy.
- It is easy to filter and dispose off.
- It is affordable.
- No negative points were observed so far.
2. Let’s Bite Clumping Cat Litter – Our Choice
If you are in search of a quick-clumping litter with a superabsorbent feature that keeps the litter clean and dry, the Let’s Bite Clumping Litter is an ideal choice.
This product comes in a 6 kg pack that is available at a very reasonable price. It comes with a lavender fragrance that helps in controlling odor.
Moreover, the product’s natural color and aroma make it both pet and animal-friendly. You won’t have a problem with scooping and disposing of it.
- Type of litter: Clumping litter.
- Size of a pack: 6 kg.
- It has a lavender fragrance.
- The litter is pet as well as people-friendly.
- It is up to 99% dust-free.
- It has a hard clumping structure.
- It has a strong absorption capability that keeps the sand clean and dry.
- The product is inexpensive.
- Easy to scoop and dispose of.
- The litter requires frequent change.
3. Neatykitty Clumping Cat Litter – The Long-Lasting Litter
The Neaty Kitty Clumping Cat Litter has a texture of natural clay that ensures a soft feel for your cat. It clumps quickly making it easier to scoop out and clean.
The fresh fragrant odor eliminators and the superabsorbent feature of this litter ensure that there is no smell. Moreover, this litter is long-lasting so you don’t have to frequently change the litter, only daily scooping is needed.
- Type: Quick Clumping Litter.
- It comes in packs of 2 each weighing 5 kg.
- It contains fresh fragrant heavy-duty odor eliminators.
- It has a fine texture of natural bentonite clay granules.
- It comes with a highly absorbent formula which makes it absorb faster and clump quickly.
- It does not crumble making it easy to scoop and clean.
- The superabsorbent feature traps odor in the clumps.
- It is non-toxic and keeps your cat safe.
- The litter gets stuck in the paws of the cat.
4. Petville Petcrux Exclusive Scoopable Cat Litter – Value for Money
The Petville Petcrux Exclusive Scoop-able Cat Litter is the perfect example of a value for money product. This cat litter absorbs moisture at a very fast rate, dries and then clumps instantly.
This makes it easier to scoop the waste out and replace the old litter with a fresh layer of this litter. It comes in a lavender fragrance which controls bad odor and texture that provides your cat with a comfortable feel.
This 25 kg pack of cat litter might be a bit expensive but it is totally worth the price. You will not regret purchasing this cat litter for your cat.
- Net Weight: 25 kg.
- Type: Clumping Litter.
- Has a Lavender fragrance.
- It is a 100% natural bentonite clay-based litter.
- Absorbs moisture and clumps instantly.
- Has a high liquid absorption rate.
- The instant clumping makes it easily scoop-able, ensuring easy and mess-free cleaning.
- Has anti-odor properties that eliminate odor or smell.
- Prevents the litter from spreading all over the house.
- The texture of the litter gives your cat a naturally soft feel.
- It lasts for a longer time period.
- It is a bit expensive.
5. Petkin Cat Litter Deodorizer Lavender 2 in 1 – Best Odor Remover
The Petkin Cat Litter Deodorizer is an odor remover that uses a 2 in 1 formula where the odor is removed using the power of pure baking soda while the aromatherapy essences freshen the litter box.
It comes with a lavender fragrance that keeps your cat’s litter box and surroundings clean with a fresh by simply adding it into the box. Thus, if you are looking for a litter box that masks the bad smell, this is the ideal choice.
- Net weight: 567 grams.
- It has a lavender fragrance.
- It is an odor remover as well as a deodorant.
- Consists of baking soda that removes odor.
- The aromatherapy essences freshen the litter box.
- It is suitable for all types of cat litter including clay, scoop-able and natural.
- Ideal for households with multiple cats.
- Easy to use as you just have to add it to your cat’s litter box.
- Keeps your cat’s litter box clean with a fresh smell.
- The moisture activated formula freshens the box and surrounding area with soothing aromatherapy essences each time your cat uses the litter box.
- The product is unable to mask extremely strong odors.
6. Petcrux Exclusive Scoopable Cat Litter Scooper
Petcrux’s cat litter scooper is exclusively designed for efficient and easy scooping of cat’s excreta. It is prepared from high-quality plastic that provides hassle-free cleaning. It is a compact shovel for the easy removal of pet waste.
It is an ideal cat scooper that comes in the perfect size for convenient scooping up the waste from the litter tray. It helps in efficient cleaning without getting too close to the unpleasant looking waste.
- It is prepared from lightweight and high-quality plastic that provides long-lasting durability.
- This easy-to-clean scooper has water-resistant properties.
- It is practical and comfortable to use.
- It provides hassle-free cleaning and picking up pet waste from any standard size litter tray.
- It comes in a compact and portable size for convenient storage and carrying when not in use.
- This shovel measures 10 x 10 x 10 cm in dimensions and weighs 200 grams.
- Using this cat litter scooper you can avoid creating a mess as it can effectively sieve the solid crumpled mass for saving litter.
- It helps in creating a clean and hygienic environment for keeping your cat happy and delighted.
- Its long handle provides a firm grip while scooping.
- It has a hole on the handle for conveniently hanging it when not in use.
- No negative points were observed so far.
7. Taily Affairs Cat Litter Scooper
Taily Affairs is a plastic cat litter scooper that serves as a shovel for cleaning up pet waste. It is designed to make your cleaning task convenient and far less unpleasant.
It comes in a perfect size that is suitable for scooping litter from any standard size litter tray. It doesn’t require you to get too close to the offending waste. This cat litter scooper serves as a useful sieve for avoiding making a mess and saving litter.
- It is prepared from durable and lightweight plastic that ensures easy and effective scooping.
- It has a water-resistant design.
- It serves as an effective sieve for saving litter and avoiding creating a mess.
- This scooper helps in creating a clean and hygienic environment for your cats to keep them happy and healthy.
- It features a compact and portable design that makes it easy to store and carry when not in use.
- It’s a sturdy scooper that provides an affordable way for cleaning your cat litter tray.
- The quality of the plastic material could be better.
8. Catsan Hygiene Plus Non-Clumping 100% Natural Cat Litter
Catsan hygiene plus is a non-clumping and 100 percent natural cat litter that helps you to keep your cat litter box clean and hygienic. It is ideal for taking optimal care of your cat’s natural requirements.
It boasts of being the only cat litter that provides additional mineral protection for maintaining odor retention for prolonged periods. This cat litter is designed for odor-sensitive cats. It helps in keeping your cats hygienically clean and healthy.
- Catsan hygiene plus contains 5 litres of cat litter that weighs 2.4 kg
- It is an effective non-clumping cat Litter that is specially formulated for satisfying the instinctive desire of the cat.
- It comprises natural lime and fine quartz sand with quality granules that keep your cat litter tray hygienically clean without any incompatible substances or dangerous fibers.
- It is packed with triple odor protection as it locks the moisture inside the granules, rapidly absorbs the liquids, and prevents odors with a mineral shield.
- It comprises safe and 100 percent organic ingredients without any bleach or scent.
- It works great for cats as well as kittens as it doesn’t get stuck to the fur easily unlike other clumping litter.
- This cat litter effectively absorbs the odor before it occurs and thereby provides cats a convenient, comfortable, and safe place for excreting their wastes.
- It is a non-clumping litter that doesn’t stick to the cat’s fur or paws easily, like other clumping litter.
- It binds litter with fine-pored hygiene granules that not only soaks up the liquid but also keeps it remarkably clean
- It does not get licked-up during grooming and proves to be an ideal cat litter for all phases of cat’s and kittens’ life.
- It comprises a porous structure with a lot of air and hence it is easier to carry.
- It is prepared from 100% natural ingredients that make the cats feel comfortable and gives them the feeling of being at home.
- It is a high-quality cat litter for meeting the caring needs of demanding cat hygiene.
- It can be easily stored in any dry place in your cabinets along with other pet care items.
- The granules are uneven.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best odor eliminating cat litter?
Some of the best odor eliminating cat litters are Ever Clean Extra Strength Odor Control Cat Litter & Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal Cat Litter
5. How many litter boxes do I need?
The number of litter boxes you need will depend on the number of cats you have. You need to have one litter box for each cat along with one extra. Cats are private animals and sharing of the litter box would not be a good option.
6. Which is the best way to clean a litter box?
The best way to clean a litter box is by using simple soap and water or wipe it with a wet cloth. Avoid using chemical cleaning products as they might be harmful and because cats are sensitive to smell. So, they might avoid using the litter box because of the smell.
You can use odor and stain removers that come with a light fragrance to mask bad odors. Moreover, they are made from non-toxic substances making it safe to use.
7. Does Litter fight odor?
Litter can come with odorizing crystals and baking soda that locks in the smell of ammonia. Thus, it reduces odor. Moreover, it absorbs moisture and comes with fresh fragrances that mask the odor.
8. How often should the litter box be cleaned?
The litter box should be cleaned regularly. Clumps and waste should be scooped daily. The clumped litter should be replaced with fresh litter. You also need to clean the litter box using water and soap every week.
A high-quality cat litter effectively masks the bad odor and quickly absorbs the moisture to form the textured clumped solid mass that is easily removable by scooping. The cat litter and scooper make your cleaning task extremely easy and convenient.
Due to its granular texture, the litter also satisfies the instinctive desire of the cat to cover its waste with sand and provides a pleasing and comforting experience for sensitive cat’s paws.
Hence, it is a must to have these products if you own a cat. We are sure our guide will help you in finding the perfect product for your cat.