Top 10 Best Swimwear For Men
For many people in India, swimming is a perfect sport to try, it does not only keep them fit, but the feeling to be in the water is just relaxing. And besides, who doesn’t like to feel 10% lesser than their actual weight. Yes, when you are underwater, your weight becomes 10% lesser.
It can be a bit tricky to choose the right swimsuit to try. In order for you to get started in swimming, you will need the right trunk to wear. It may require you to take some realistic evaluation of your body and determine the best swimwear style that would perfectly match your physique.
When it’s your first time buying a swimwear, it will be easy to get overwhelmed with hundreds of choices to choose from. In order to get started, you will simply have to ask yourself how you intend to use your swimsuit.
If you are going to use it for competition purposes, you must make sure that the undergarment must allow your legs to move swiftly. Racing trunks or swimwear for men should have less fabric since this will allow you to have better leg movements.
- Read a reliable swimwear buying guide for men
- Realize your main purpose of buying a swimwear
- List the features you want your swimwear to have
- Know your budget
- Carefully check the product’s brand
- Join online swimming forums
Top 10 Best Swimwear For Men
Best for beginners
4-way stretch technology
Helps in Improving Performance
Made with Polyester Material
Factors to Consider While Buying a Swimwear
When it comes to buying a swimsuit, it’s important that you don’t grab whatever’s the cheapest or most popular product in the market. It’s extremely important that you find swimwear that could provide you a great fitting and the one that will stay up the moment that you dive in. Most swimwears have a cord to the waist that makes this effortlessly possible.
On average, you must have one or two swim garments inside your wardrobe that you can use from time to time. It’s more than just finding what’s comfortable for you, but finding the ones that you really like.
It’s essential that you factor your budget in your decision-making process. Just keep in mind that swimwear is not made equally and therefore, they are priced differently.
When it comes to buying your first swimsuits, you must see to it that you get something that is within your budget range. In this way, you will be able to check, see, and have a better sense of what you like and need in a suit.
If you are going to use it for frequent and serious swimming, it will be best if you get a durable or middle-price range swimwear, in this way you will not only get a nice swimsuit but have swimwear that you can use for long-term.
Different body types:
1. Are you tall and thin?
If you have a taller build, which is around 6’ (182 cm) and have a slender build, then you can go for board shorts. Just make sure that the inseam should not be longer than 8” (20 cm). What’s amazing about board shorts is that they are not too long, it will make you look sloppy and youthful.
2. Are you big and tall?
If you’re tall but overweight then it would be best if you go for board shorts. As much as possible go for the ones that are longer and in dark color. It’ll be your best bet, you might also be able to rock tie-waist trunks that just end above your knee.
Keep in mind to invest in swimwear that is in dark color. Black for instance, since it creates a slimming effect. Dark green and dark blue would work, too. As much as possible avoid prints and trunks that have elastic waists.
3. Are you short and buff?
Having a chiseled body and a shorter stature will go perfectly with a swimsuit that is shorter inseam, preferable 6” and shorter.
4. Are you short and thin?
The most suitable swimwear that you can go for is slim board shorts and trunks, this will prevent your legs from completely being swallowed by the fabric. You can also select a pattern that comes with dark horizontal stripes– this can effortlessly add a sense of dimension to your body.
As much as possible, avoid using bold patterns if you’re short and thin. Using swimwear that has stripes and microprints that does not sharply contrast.
5. Are you tall and buff?
When you are 6’ and have a firm, chiseled body frame, you can wear whatever swimwear you wish to wear. Every type and style will look great on you. You can choose any color, style, and pattern of swimsuit that you like.
Considering the different fabrics:
|FABRIC||ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES|
|Spandex||Swimwear that is made in spandex and lycra suits are more stretchable compared to other fabrics. This fabric will be most suitable for swimmers who frequently attend swimming competitions and races. Swimwear with this fabric tends to loosen and fade quicker compared to other materials.|
|Polyester||Swimwears that are made with polyester are known to be chlorine resistant and long-lasting. If you are looking for a more durable swimsuit for long-term use, something made with polyester material will be a perfect choice. These also tend to be quick-drying, comfortable, soft, easy to wash, and breathable.|
|Polyester blend||Swimwear that is made with polyester blend will result in a product that is lighter in weight, fast-drying, have a better matte finish, chlorine resistant, and durable.|
|Nylon||If you are looking for a swimsuit that is lighter in weight and will provide a smoother fit, then a swimwear made in nylon will be a perfect choice. Pieces with this material are easy to launder, has low moisture absorbency, and is abrasion-resistant. It does have some disadvantages though, it’s not chlorine resistant and it’s not as durable compared to polyester fabric.|
|UV-protective material||As much as possible, buy swimwear that has UV protection since this will protect you from harmful ultraviolet light that could potentially damage the skin and the eyes. Swimming is mostly done outdoors, so it’s best that you look for UPF rating that is 50 or higher.|
Tip #1. Taking care of your swimwear. Make sure that you rinse your swimsuit after using it. This will help in maintaining the quality of your swimwear since the chlorine pools and the salt in the sea could potentially wear the fabric.
Tip #2. Choosing the right color. When you have a paler skin tone, do not wear very dark or very light swimwear colors, this will only highlight and accentuate your pale skin.
When you have a tan complexion, wear something white or any pastel shades. This will help to contrast between your skin color and your suit. You can also pick the ones that have bolder patterns like gingham, madras, and paisley.
Tip #3. Don’t let your build 100% rule your way of choosing your swimwear. There are obviously many factors that you need to consider in picking your swimwear. Pick a style that you’re most comfortable with and make you feel extremely great about yourself.
As much as possible avoid buying swimwears that have bold and huge logos. You should not make yourself a walking billboard for some kind of company.
Tip #4. Pockets. Consider buying a short with pockets If you are heading out for casual swimming, then you might want a short that comes with safety pockets where you can store your keys or other small objects.
Of course, we are not only buying swimwear based on functions but how it fits us to impress. After all, going for a swim will mean that you’ll be seen by other people. When it comes to choosing the style of your swimwear, you will seriously have to look at your build and make an honest assessment of what body type you have.
There are many body types, and every type will look better in particular suit lengths, colors, and patterns. For example, if you are planning to buy swimwear for a pool party together with your co-workers, it will be best if you wear something plain and professional. You can go for dark colored swimwear, or you can go for striped ones or the ones in a solid color
For the swimwear style, look for something that ends in the middle of the thigh, any body type can rock this style, and you will still be able to look respectable and professional. If you’re not so worried about making a statement or looking cool, then you can purchase any color or pattern that you want.
There are many contemporary swimsuits that are practical and functional, but one of the major features of modern undergarments is that they are quite decorative.
Swimsuits for men focuses on style and function, rather than modesty. Every style is different from its looseness and length perspectives.
Style #1: Trunks
If ever you have visited beaches in North America, one of the things that you will notice is that the majority of people wears trunks. Its style and length are similar to shorts that are worn on land. The difference is that it’s way lighter and is made with fast-drying materials.
Swim garments that are made from polyester and nylon materials will feature a tighter-fitting. Trunks are usually longer versions that come past your knee, this is usually called, “board shorts.”
Style #2: Swim briefs or speedos
The Swim briefs are very similar to the V-shape undergarments men wear, the only difference is that it’s made with more durable and thicker material. This has been used for many years, these are extremely fitted, tight swimwear style.
It intentionally hugs the body and fully reveals your thighs. Recreational swim briefs or speedos are means to allow your legs swiftly, this will allow you to swim fast– most suitable for racing purposes.
Style #3: Square-cut shorts
The Square-cut shorts are less revealing compared to speedos, it covers the wearer’s waist to the upper thigh. The leg openings are intentionally cut straight across that gives it a boxy look. It allows you to move swiftly, too.
Style #4: Jammers
Jammers are swimwear that its style covers the wearer’s waist to its knee. It’s skintight and it’s mostly used by racers or competitive swimmers. If you have seen some watersports events, you will notice that most participants wear jammers. They resemble bike shorts, a bit is padded around the crotch and the seat to provide extra comfort.
Style #5: Racing suits
When it comes to racing suits, this style is still fitting to the body. The difference is that it covers the wearer’s body including the arm and legs.
Style #6. Wetsuits and drysuits
Drysuits and wetsuits are most suitable when you are going for board sports, scuba diving, and snorkeling. This style is usually close-fitting.
Style #7: Rashguard
This style is usually suitable when you go for kayaking, paddleboarding, and surfing. It’s made with UV-reflective fabric material that protects you from the harmful light from the sun. It’s an all-body swimwear compared to a wetsuit.
All the seven styles we just mentioned above could come in different pattern and color, every style has its own advantage and disadvantage. If you can’t decide what color to go for, it will be best if you go for traditional colors like solid white striping, navy blue, and dark blue. If you’d like some prints, you can go for Hawaiin-style prints.
1. Branded Freestyle Men Poly Spandex Swimming Jammer – Our Choice
Swimming jammers can feel heavy once you start using it in the water. That’s why you should get jammers that are not too heavy and doesn’t retain much water if it gets wet. Also, you can start with swimwears that are not too tight if you are new to them. Yes, jammers can feel uncomfortable during your first time.
Being comfortable with your jammer shorts is highly necessary during swimming practice. It will help improve your overall performance. It provides maximum comfort to its users. It comes at a reasonable price too.
- Made of 100% quick-drying polyester spandex
- The 4-way stretch fabric gives more freedom of movement
- Offers a 360 stretch which will surely make the user feel comfortable
- Comes with an elastic waistband for security
- Fabric adapts to the user’s body features easily
- Dries quickly
- Durable and comfortable
- 360-degree stretch makes it fit almost perfectly
- Doesn’t retain too much water
- The threads could be more durable
2. Speedo Male Swimwear Essential Endurance+ Jammer – Professional swimming
This jammer is one of those expensive swimwears that will improve your swimming experience. With the price that it has, it has to offer great offers to attract customers. It has a simple style, perfect for professional swimming. This is your best choice if you want the best fabric in a swimwear.
- Easy to wash and quick to dry
- Has UV 50+ sun protection
- This swim trunk is designed for long-term use
- Side leg length in M: 15.6”
- Has a drawstring, elastic waistband, and side pockets
- Durable and comfortable
- Comes with a convenient back pocket with Velcro flap
- It is made of chlorine-resistant fabric and comes with UV 50+ protection
- Attractive design
- It is pricey
3. NNN Men’s Black Long Lycra Swimming Trunk– Affordable
The NNN’s Lycra Swimming Trunk is our best pick for most affordable, yet quality-made trunk for men. It’s made with quality spandex/lycra material that allows it to stretch and return to its original shape.
- The trunk is light in weight and is extremely elastic
- It is easy to launder
- It is Knee length Long
- Its material is breathable and dries quickly
- There’s a mini pocket available where you can store valuable items
- It’s made of spandex/lycra material
- Perfect for swimmers who’s height is below 6’0 ft
- Can also be used as cycling shorts
- It is comfortable for both the professional sewimmers as well as for some casual swimming
- Might be a bit shorter for swimmers who are 6’1 ft and above
- A bit transparent when gets wet
4. SLYK Complete Swimming Kit with CapGogglee and Trunk – Best for beginners
The SLYK brand has always been one of the trusted industries when it comes to providing quality professional toys, swimwear products, and hobby graders skates for kids. The SLYK Complete Swimming kit provides all the necessary equipment needed for a perfect swimming day. Goggle, a single pair of earplugs and cap will be included in the item.
This is our best pick for swimming beginners if you are striving to join a swimming contest anytime in the future. You’ll need a swimming kit that could provide you with both safety and comfort.
- The kit contains all the necessary equipment for swimming
- The swimming trunk is free size
- The pair of goggles has anti-fog and provides clear vision
- The swim cap provides decent comfort and fit
- The trunk gives you the “cool” and “relaxed” vibe, which is suitable to wear for beach parties
- The trunk is perfect for modest men and who aren’t confident about showing-off their thighs
- Decently priced
- They are comfortable and fits loosely
- Comes from a reputable store (SLYK)
- Perfect kit for beginners (if you do pool swimming contests/race)
- Not for male swimmers who prefer perfectly tight fitting around the thigh area
- Fits better to the waist size 30.”
5. Viva Sports VSJ-004 Adult’s Swimming Jammers – Hydrospheric Effect
If you are willing to shell out a couple of rupees for a quality jammer swimsuit, Viva Sports Jammer should be on your list. It offers ground-breaking technology which allows efficient movement in the water. Hydrosphere technology will work in harmony with the swimmer’s ability and optimize body positioning.
The hydrospheric effect will also reduce drag and improve the user’s speed while swimming. It is made of 70% nylon and 30% lycra spandex which improves flexibility and reduces weight.The high-tech super flex bonding will make this swimwear conform with the swimmer’s body without being too tight or too loose. It still allows 100% natural movement and mobility.
- Quick to dry due to its AVMH6A
- Reduced drag and increased speed
- Made of 70% Nylon / 30% Lycra Spandex
- FINA-approved technical suit that helps maximize performance
- Great value for the price
- Perfect fit for most sizes
- Hydrosphere technology helps to optimize body positioning while in the water
- Offers a lot of comforts
- Helps improve the swimmer’s performance
- It is pricey
6. Speedo Essential Endurance+ Men’s Swimming Jammer Shorts – 4-way stretch technology
Are you looking for swimwear that looks sleek and professional? Well, this one is for you. Speedo Essential Endurance+ is one of the top choices if you want a high-quality jammer short. It is a bit hard to pick the right shorts nowadays. There are a bunch of products, and it can get confusing.
Anyway, there is no need to get confused anymore. This is a really great pick for every beginner or professional swimmers out there. It is chlorine resistant and won’t degrade in swimming pools. It comes with drawstring on the waist.
- It is 100% chlorine resistant and comes with a drawstring on the waist
- Endurance+fabric will help retain the shape of the jammer short for a longer period
- 4-way stretch technology is for better comfort and softness
- Hugs the contours of the body to create a hydrodynamic profile when underwater
- Comes with a reasonable price tag
- Comfortable and secure with a drawstring on the waist
- The fabric lasts longer and is durable
- Seam stitching could be better
- It is not returnable
7. Speedo Mens Gala Logo Jammer Black/Neon/Blue – Smart Fitting
Getting a swimwear that has high resistant to chlorine is smart. You could be spending a lot of money on expensive jammer shorts only for it not to last long. If you are planning to use the swimwear mostly on swimming pools, then it should be resistant to chlorine.
Speedo Mens Gala Logo Jammer has a high resistant to chlorine and comes with a fabric that fits perfectly to your body. There is a drawstring at the waist area for better fit and security too.
- Drawstring waist for enhanced security and fit
- High resistant to chlorine makes perfect for swimming pool use
- The fabric stretches easily
- It is great for swimming pools
- Offers UPF 50+ sun protection
- Made of 80% Polyamide and 20% Elastane
- Fit easily
- The product is not replaceable
8. Speedo Male Swimwear Monogram Jammer – FINA approved
The Speedo Jammer Swimwear will make you feel the huge difference compared to when you are wearing normal shorts when swimming. Our best pick for comfort belongs to our low-range priced swimwear.
The Speedo Jammer will help you feel the glide while doing your swimming kicks.
It’s made with superior quality and is super light in weight. This will be a perfect pick if you casually attend swimming contests.
- It comes with a fun print design, most suitable if you want to get some good attention
- The material has a UV protection of 50+
- The jammer swimwear allows you to move swiftly and freely
- It dries quickly
- Fits most swimmers’ different profiles
- The swimwear tightly fits on your legs
- The jammer swimwear is 100% chlorine resistant
- Made with snag-resistant fabric
- Easy to launder and Soft to touch
- Affordable and Durable
- FINA approved
- If you don’t wish for your jammer to be extremely tight, go for a size larger than your typical jeans’ size
9. Speedo Male Swimwear Fit Panel Jammer – Helps in Improving Performance
If you are a competitive swimmer, you definitely need a high-quality swimwear that will help with your performance. Speedo Male Swimwear Fit Panel Jammer provides great comfort while improving body positioning when swimming in the water.
The lightweight compression panels will give more freedom of movement and the V’ Cut Seams are for comfort and security. Speedo Male Swimwear Fit Panel Jammer is definitely your choice if you want a comfortable swimwear at a lower price.
Core compression panels give focus to your core and results to a better body position. It helps increase speed and maneuverability when swimming in the water. . Speedo Male Swimwear Fit Panel Jammer definitely worth the price tag that it has.
- Provides perfect fit for more freedom of movement
- The V’ Cut Seams offers more comfort and security
- Comes with 4-way stretchable fabric technology
- Core compression panels improve body positioning
- Improves performance
- It is chlorine resistant and won’t degrade when used in swimming pools
- Gives more freedom of movement
- Encourages better body positioning
- A bit tight for some users
10. Speedo Men’s Hydrosprinter with Compression Swimsuit Shorts Workout & Swim Trunks – Made with Polyester Material
Since these swimming trunks are made of 100% polyester, you can expect some high level of comfort. It offers the best comfort for swimming trunk as t is a versatile fitness trunk. The breathable stretch fabric will allow you to have a lot of fun at the beach or swimming pools without feeling stressed.
- Comes with a nice black/gray color which makes stains hard to spot
- The fabric is stretchable and easily adjusts to different sizes
- Breathable fabric keeps you feel comfortable
- It is made of polyester and is resistant to chlorinated water
- It is comfortable to wear
- Dries quickly
- Comes with a back zip pocket
- Breathable fabric
- Inner lining can be a bit tight for some
- High Price
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much sun protection do I need?
It’s recommended that you buy swimwear that has 50 SPF or above. But we do suggest that you buy a wetsuit or rash guard if you plan to be exposed under the sun for a longer period of time.
2. What’s the best style if I’m a casual swimmer?
We do suggest the trunk style if you perform casual swimming. This style is perfect for lying around, light swimming activities, and wading. If ever you have plans on being more sporty than that, then you will need to consider something that will provide you a snugger fit and more body coverage.
3. What’s the best style for professional swimming purposes?
Whether you’re swimming with co-workers or just going out with professional people, then it would be best if you go for square-cuts and trunks styles. Go for dark and solid colors, it will give you a professional edge. Navy blue works, too!
4. What’s the perfect style for a modest man?
Trunks will be your best option, it doesn’t reveal much of your body but still gives you the beach swimmer look. The looser cut will give you balance. Go for plainer designs if you wish not to get too much attention.
5. I’m a confident large man, what should I choose?
If you wish to have more comfort, swim briefs or speedos will be most suitable for you. It allows you to move comfortably. If you plan to swim on European beaches, then rest assured that swimming in V-briefs ain’t much of a big deal. But on the stateside, you might need extra confidence to deal with a few long stares.
6. What’s the perfect style for beach parties?
The best style will be something relaxing and comfortable to look at, drag shorts or square-cut shorts. It allows you to move comfortable and they’re easy on the eyes. When it comes to attending crowdy places like a beach party, you’ll need to be a bit pickier on the design.
You can go for stripes and bright colors if you want to get some attention, but if you ask us, go for something that speaks your personality.
7. What’s the best swimwear for surfing?
It will be most suitable if you for drysuits and wetsuits, it provides you the perfect body coverage and its designed for prolonged water immersion. These are quite close-fitting and it will allow you to perform amazing surfing stunts. It’s comfortable and does not restrict you from moving too much.
8. Are swim briefs safe to wear, won’t they fall off?
The speedos or swim briefs are not like the typical undergarment that you wear. It’s thicker and made with better quality, so it won’t slip off as you dive in the water. It comes with an interior lining feature that keeps it all together.
The majority of sportsmen prefer speedos since it does not restrict them with their leg movements. It’s a perfect choice for men who are going for racing and swimming contests.
9. What’s the most popular swimwear style?
Well, in the 21st century, longer swimwears are gaining more popularity compared to shorter styles. It shows some modesty and is also very comfortable. But over the couple years, the shorter trunks are getting back in style.
It doesn’t really matter what’s popular and what’s not. What really should matter is that you go for swimwear that makes you extremely comfortable and allows to do all the swimming activities that you love.
10. What’s the best style for family swimming vacations?
It’s actually very easy to choose an undergarment when you’re around the people you love and comfortable with. You can go for trunks or drag suits, it’s comfortable and not too revealing.
11. What’s the best swimwear style that will not get me too much attention?
We can sense that you’re a model one and just wanted to chill by the beach without getting too much attention. Well, the best way is to go for drysuits or boardshorts, these give you a very calm and relaxing look.
It’s almost as if you’re just walking on land, this doesn’t get too much attention for its not too body revealing. But if you have a chiseled, good-looking face, the ladies can’t help it though!
12. Are swimwears expensive?
Just like every product, there are low, mid, and high-priced categories. There are decent under swimming garments that you can buy for around INR 500. Just do keep in mind that not all swimwear is created perfectly, some are made to last longer and some means for casual usage.
This is one of the reasons why it’s extremely important for you to know your purpose of buying, so you can set the perfect price budget.
13. Should I go for fitted or loosen swimwear?
It really depends on your purpose. If you’re just going for casual swimming, then you can go either of the two. The loosen swimwear is comfortable when you do light swimming and want to walk by the beach. The fitted one is perfect when you attend a lot of swimming races and contests.
Most swimwear is designed to have lining and cord that makes it stay up even if you do a lot of movement underwater, you don’t need to go for the most expensive ones or the cheapest, you just need swimwear that’s durable enough and makes you extremely comfortable.
Before feeling the rush to dive in the water, make sure you’ve got the right undergarment to complement with your swimming’s purpose. We have intentionally included the best 10 swimwear products in the market today.
Whether you’re a man of the profession, a man of modesty, or man of style. There’s a perfect swimwear for you! Branded Freestyle Men Poly Spandex Swimming Jammer, NNN Men’s Black Long Lycra Swimming Trunk, Speedo Men’s Hydrosprinter with Compression Swimsuit Shorts Workout & Swim Trunks are our top picks
We included products in a variety, if you want the best quality, top comfort, new design, or most affordable swim undergarment, you can find them all here!