Top 11 Air Coolers – Reviews and buyers guide
The joy of experiencing the cool air blowing through your hair strands during scorching summer days; is unmatchable. Most of us would have tried this at some point in our lives by keeping our face very close to air-coolers.
Even in this age of air-conditioners, our love for air-coolers is far from over. After all, they offer an inexpensive way of managing sweltering summer temperatures.
Using the simple principle of evaporative cooling, the air-coolers enable even common men who can’t afford ACs, to experience soul-satisfying coolness. If you want to buy the best air cooler in India, you are in the right place.
Here you will find everything you need to know about an air cooler right from the benefits of using an air cooler and its cons, what are the different types of air cooler, buyers Guide, to list of top 11 air coolers as well as a few FAQs.
We have also provided the difference between the Air cooler and air conditioner and how to find the right air cooler for your room to select the best one for you and your family.
Top 11 Air Coolers in 2019 in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Maroon Cooling Machine
Our Budget Pick
Sleek and Tall Air Cooler
Massive Air Throw
Value for Money
What are the benefits of using an Air Cooler?
Production of Moisture
Water is one of the necessary ingredients for the functioning of an air cooler. Evaporative cooling releases a humidifying effect in the air. Hence many air coolers have humidity control.
This is very important for the comfort of the occupants of a particular room. On the other hand, air conditioners suction in the humid air, causing the people around to have difficulty breathing.
Compared to the air conditioners, the air coolers are way cheaper in the initial and operational costs.
This is because the equipment itself is more affordable, and evaporation takes up less energy. It cuts the power consumed by AC units by about 80%.
No Installation Required
The Air cooler does not require any particular installation. You need to buy it, and you are ready to use it. Also, low maintenance costs and operational costs are making it ideal to low fir budget.
Easy maintenance is an attractive feature for any home appliance. For the air coolers, the only action required is to refill the water tank, which is more of a labour thing than cost.
As mentioned earlier, water is almost the whole idea behind the working of an air cooler.
There are no harmful gas emissions to the atmosphere that has been a big menace to the ozone layer. It also integrates a filter that eliminates contaminated air.
To ensure the maximum functioning of an air cooling machine, it is crucial to keep the windows open for cross ventilation.
On the other hand, air conditioners work best in closed rooms, which is considered less safe.
What are the shortcomings of using Air Coolers?
- Since water is one of an air cooler’s functional needs, areas that experience a shortage of water might not serve it right.
If the water in your residence is limited, then the device might run dry for long hours. This comes as a barrier to the comfort that you would instead enjoy under minor electricity charges.
- The noise that comes out of a working air cooler can be loud and might interrupt other activities going on in your home. The motor, combined with the fan, can produce unnecessary noise that can make it hard for you to focus on your projects.
- We cannot emphasize how important it is to check the humidity levels in your climate zone. Evaporative coolers humidify the air to cause the cooling effect. The success of this process entirely depends on the level of humidity out there.
- Regular maintenance is required for the operations of an air cooler. You have to keep adding water to the tank daily. Which is so undesirable considering the multiple other chores we have at our homes.
Air Coolers v/s Air Conditioners
Sometimes it might seem challenging to decide whether to buy an air cooler or an AC unit. But the difference between them is quite evident. Being more advanced, an air conditioner is more expensive.
While it can heat and cool your room, the air cooler can only be used to cool. This makes an air conditioner suitable for all weather.
Other distinguishing factors reflect on the installation and maintenance part.
The air cooler does not require any installation and can be used by anyone. Contrary, air conditioners require professional installation, which comes with cost implications.
On the flip side, they don’t need any maintenance type, unlike the air coolers where you have to keep adding water.
Of course, the air coolers are more convenient when it comes to portability and fresh air emitted. Air conditioners are immobile, making them usable only indoors.
What is the right size of an Air Cooler for your room?
Finding the right size of a cooler for your room is very important because of two main reasons. When you pick a small one, it won’t sufficiently cool the entire room when the temperatures are high.
On the other hand, if the unit is oversized, it can cause discomfort with the massive cooling effect. The dimensions of the room play a key role in determining the size of a cooler.
You need to buy the air cooler according to the size of your room. It is calculated by considering the CFM (Unit used to measure the airflow), i.e., Cubic feet per minute.
Higher the CFM means more is the Airflow. Below a simple formula for calculating CFM is given.
CFM = Area of the room * Height of the room/2
Instead of calculating your room area, there is a shortcut to save those who hated Math back in the days.
On the product description pages, they always display the area that a particular cooler can cover, together with its capacity. You only have to do a rough estimation of what area you have and see what fits.
What are the various types of Air Coolers?
Personal/Room Air Cooler
This type of air cooler applies to rooms ranging from small to medium size. It is comparatively cheap and uses blowers for air circulation.
One unique feature about the blowers is that it circulates air on a particular area instead of the whole room.
The capacity of the water tank is somewhere between 20-30 litres. The personal air cooler is most appropriate to situations where one is looking for their individual cooling needs in their rooms.
Desert Air Cooler
Unlike the personal counterpart, this type is more advanced and delivers better results. For instance, the desert air cooler employs huge fans that circulate the air for effective cooling.
It is important to realize that this comes with a consequence of bigger electricity bills.
The desert air coolers are mostly used in medium-sized homes and those that are large. The fans circulate air on the entire room to bring the cooling effect in every corner, which is not possible with a blower.
The water tank capacity is relatively large, between 30-60 litres. When you consider the cost, this type is more expensive than the room air cooler.
Tower Air Cooler
One major advantage of tower air coolers is that their models are so quiet. Additionally, they are super light and portable.
How they function is by distributing cold air vertically. This cooler removes heat from hot air by passing it through the water in the cooling pads. The result is cold and clean air.
The industrial applications of tower coolers include the processing of cooled water for manufacturing, electric power generation, and air conditioning.
Buyers Guide For Air Coolers
With the rapidly advancing technology and the number of brands skyrocketing in the field, people always get confused about which air cooler to buy.
In most cases, one would prefer an air conditioner, but portability, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and other benefits mentioned above of a cooler makes it outstanding in its version.
For a deeper understanding, let us look at the different features you should watch for buying an air cooler.
This includes a remote control used for switching between the modes and the timer where you can usually preset when your air cooler goes to sleep. Very important if you don’t need your device running all night.
This is one of the essential things to consider for any air cooler to work efficiently. One needs to know the size of the room. You need to buy the air cooler according to the size of your room.
It is calculated by considering the CFM (Unit used to measure the airflow), i.e., Cubic feet per minute. Higher the CFM means more is the airflow. Below a simple formula for calculating CFM is given.
CFM = Area of the room * Height of the room/2
Air coolers are highly portable because of its small and compact size; you can take the air cooler in any room and target that. The added benefit is that you can use it with doors and windows open, unlike ACs.
As the name suggests, this is the water storage for the cooler. The two functions, water level indicator, and water level controller, work hand in hand for a smooth flow.
You read the water level in the tank from the indicator while the controller automates the water flow process. It is so convenient and flexible to operate.
This is the most important part of an air cooler. There are two types; Aspen and Honeycomb cooling pads.
As much as the device’s design determines the working of the cooling pads, the level of humidity in the air is equally important. For maximum efficiency, the thickness of the pads should be 90mm or more.
This lets you adjust to control the speed of the cooler. Helpful for a temperature rise when it gets a little bit cold.
This part connects directly to the cooler and provides a constant supply of water. So you don’t have to keep refilling it.
Ice Gel Packs
To help further enhance the cooling effect, some models include ice compartments. During the scorching days, you can add more ice to catalyze the cooling process.
This, however, can only work where there is low humidity. No amount of ice would bring a cooling effect when the level of humidity is high.
For the air cooler’s mobility from one corner to another, most of the newer models come with castor wheels. They allow you to drag it across the room or to any other room anytime you want with ease.
Fan or Blower
If you have a smaller space to cool, go for a blower type air cooler as they dispense air in a particular direction. Hence, it will be useful in cooling the specific space you wish to cool.
On the other hand, a fan type air cooler is a good option for larger air coolers as it will spread the cool air in every corner.
Going for an air cooler that is compatible with an inverter is a good option. This enables you to connect the cooler to your inverter to work in the summers without electricity. Hence, you get continuous cooling even during power cuts, and it also saves power consumption.
You can check if the cooler you buy comes with a remote control or not. Having a remote control is an added benefit as it allows you to operate the air cooler without getting off the bed efficiently. It allows you to change the fan speed to increase or decrease cooling conveniently.
To help you distinguish between the different brands and advantages attached to each of them, we have compiled a list for you.
We carefully analyzed various brands to come up with a top 10 list of best air coolers. Read on to find out.
1. Crompton Greaves Ozone Air Cooler
The Crompton Greaves Ozone is especially suitable for places that experience extremely hot and dry conditions. The water tank capacity is fairly large, 55 litres, to be exact. This makes it last for 6 or more hours on a single refill.
When it comes to looks, the Crompton air cooler model is creatively designed with beautiful maroon colour that outshines most of the coolers in the market.
Crompton is believed to be the number one air cooler brand in India with a wide variety.
- As compact as it looks, the device has a powerful air throw pressure. It can spit cool air up to a distance of about 50Ft.
- It can sufficiently serve a decent room of 550 sq ft. This is done at an air delivery rate of about 4500m³/hr—a substantial amount of pressure to enhance effective cooling.
- The honeycomb pads work relatively fine for maximum cooling effect.
- Crompton ozone cooler comes with 4-way air deflection for cooling in all corners.
- It has an airspeed control knob along with an ice chamber for extra hot days.
- Its durable fiber body is rust free for long term use.
- The wheels are super smooth and lets you navigate the cooler from one place to another.
- It consumes fewer units of power, about 190 watts.
- Operates like an AC unit when properly installed with sufficient aeration.
- It is easy to use and clean because of its smooth exteriors.
- The cooler is noisy which may cause a disturbance.
2. Crompton Greaves Optimus Desert Cooler
The Crompton Greaves Optimus is a desert cooler suitable for maximum cooling in an area up to 650 sq feet. This durable model consists of an ABS thermoplastic material that prevents the formation of rust and watermarks.
It has a large storage tank and an ice tray that ensures comfortable cooling with maximum retention. Autofill and auto drain features make it easy to use while the inverter compatibility saves power consumption.
- Features a honeycomb cooling pad for better water retention.
- Air delivery speed is 5500 m3/hr.
- Suitable for outdoor and indoor areas up to 650 sq feet.
- Comes with an auto drain and moisture control switch.
- Features motorized or oscillating louvers for four-way air deflection.
- Water storage capacity is 65 litres.
- The body is made using ABS thermoplastic for durability.
- The power needed by this air cooler is 250 watts.
- Comes with a large ice chamber for maximum cooling.
- Air throw distance is up to 55 meters, making it ideal for any room.
- The large opening enables you to easily clean the water distribution tray and prevent blockages from increasing the model’s durability.
- The auto-fill function regulates the flow of water for maximum cooling retention.
- Comes with inverter compatibility allowing it to work without electricity.
- The body prevents rust and watermark formation increasing its durability.
- It has a motor overload protector.
- This air cooler is bulky, which makes it less portable.
3. Symphony Siesta 70 XL
Symphony Siesta 70 XL is a high-performance air-cooler that effectively cools down your room temperature to make it bearable. It is especially suitable for hot and dry regions where the average temperature rises above 50 degrees during summer.
This air-cooler comes with a large tank capacity of 70 litres so that you need not worry about refilling it frequently and enjoy a long duration of uninterrupted coolness. This model provides a wider cooling range of up to 110 cubic meters.
It is an ideal cooling solution for office spaces, classrooms, medium to large-sized rooms, hotels, conference rooms, prayer halls, etc.
Moreover, you can also use them outdoors in your backyard, garden, or terrace.
- Siesta 70 XL features a huge tank capacity, a specially designed grill, a powerful 16-inch fan, and powerful pumps or efficient cooling for long operational hours.
- It comes with an empty water tank alarm system that gives you warning signals when water levels get very low and prevent the motor from damage.
- This air-cooler employs Dura-pump technology that ensures the longevity of the pump.
- Siesta 70 XL features unique and high-efficiency 3-sided honeycomb cooling pads that provide effective cooling along with a cool flow dispenser.
- It features iPure technology that comprises a multi-stage filtration system including a dust filter, smell filter, allergy filter, bacteria filter, and PM 2.5 wash filter. This results in cool, healthy, and clean air circulating in your surroundings.
- It comes with easy-to-use dial knob controls for effortless manoeuvring.
- This air-cooler features automatic vertical swings that oscillate for cooling your complete room.
- It is a portable air-cooler that comes with 5 strong castor wheels for convenient mobility.
- This cooler is designed for distributing water evenly due to the presence of a cool flow dispenser.
- It features a long-lasting and durable water pump that works on dura-pump technology
- It makes less noise and provides quieter cooling for uninterrupted sleep
- This air cooler is an energy-efficient unit that saves money on electricity bills as it consumes 150 watts of energy. It can also be operated on inverter power.
- The presence of a honeycomb cooling pad makes it a high-performance and efficient cooler as these pads retain water and ensure faster cooling when hot air is pulled through the pads.
- It does not feature an ice compartment
4. Voltas Mega 70 Desert Air Cooler –
Voltas is the name you can count on for air conditioners and coolers. The brand has manufactured high-performing air conditioners for its customers in India. Voltas is recognized as one of the best engineering solution providers with its products ranging from home appliances to cooling devices. The Voltas Mega 70 Desert Air Cooler provides amazing cooling options.
- It has a large air-cooling capacity of 70 litres.
- The cooler comes with a trolley in the bottom, making it easy to move around the house.
- It has a turbo air throw option for providing ultimate cooling even in the corners of the room.
- The cooler has a sleek and elegant design to suit the house.
- It has an easy honeycomb opening from all three sides.
- It has a button control system that makes it easy to operate.
- No cons found so far.
5. Bajaj PCF 25 DLX Air Cooler – Our Budget Pick
If you are looking for a small air cooler, then Bajaj PCF has a compact design appropriate for an average-sized room. The fierceness of its fan speaks volumes, and the level of noise is minimal too.
The airflow system is highly mechanized to allow it to be operational in all types of climates and coastal regions.
The auto water level indicator alerts you on how much time before a refill, the device comes with a drain plug. This helps remove dirty, wasteful water from the cooler to keep it clean. Thus, the room is guaranteed fresh air for breathing.
- It has 3-side honeycomb cooling pads that are removable. They can be cleaned to boost the product’s hygiene and provide an efficient favourable cooling process.
- The gadget has 4-way stable castor wheels that enhance its mobility within the confines of a room. You can move it around effortlessly.
- Bajaj PCF 250LX has a 24-litre water tank and a powerful air throw. This makes it useful in a room size that is either 150 sq ft or less.
- The cooler comes with Hexacool technology which makes sure maximum cooling at less water consumption.
- Whatever the intensity of cooling you desire for your room at any particular time, the Bajaj PCF has 3 control speed modes. You can choose from the options. Additionally, the device can deflect air in 4 different directions.
- It has a compact size that occupies less space.
- Its 4-way air deflection allows every corner to cool down.
- Its turbo fan technology makes the cooling process faster, making it ideal for all weather.
- The cooler is quite loud when it’s functioning.
6. Vistara Nexa Tower Air Cooler – Sleek and Tall Air Cooler
The sleek and tall tower air cooler cools in every corner of the room and enhances its overall look of the house. It comes with an ice chamber for maximum cooling.
The blower draws hot hair from outside and forces the air through the wet pads that cool the air by evaporation. Thus, you get comfortable with enhanced cooling in a room having a size up to 28 m3/1000 ft.
- This is a tower air cooler with dimensions of 41 cm x 39 cm x 93 cm.
- The body is made using corrosion-free plastic.
- Comes with honeycomb pads for maximum cooling retention.
- It has an ice chamber for ensuring maximum cooling comfort.
- Suitable for a room size of 28 m3/1000 ft.
- Air throw distance is 30 feet, ideal for small rooms.
- Works using evaporation air cooling technology.
- Uses a blower to draw hot hair.
- Ensures continuous delivery of cool air.
- It is energy-efficient and eco-friendly.
- It is weather and impact resistant for long-term use.
- Smart design makes it easy to use.
- The cooler consumes water very fast.
7. Symphony Touch Air Cooler – Massive Air Throw
With such a huge water tank, you can expect the scale of the Symphony touch air cooler to be large.
The cooler is powerpacked features, and what caught the attention of many is the 6 Honeycomb pads and louvres that are fully closable.
It acts as a cold flow dispenser that operates by cooling water in the 6 honeycomb pads before discharging it to the atmosphere in humidified air.
- The trendy machine measures 76.3cmx43.0cmx108.5cm, a perfect size that will fit in the corner of your room seamlessly.
- Given the water tank capacity of 80 litres, the Symphony touch 80 can bring a powerful cooling effect to a room with a maximum area of 135 Sq Ft.
- Symphony Touch 80 incorporates 3-speed control settings. One can adjust according to the level of the needs.
- It consumes less power despite the massive scale of operations.
- It has i-PURE technology that employs 5 filters to do away with potential threats to the air you breathe in. They filter out a bad smell, bacteria, allergens, dust, and can and act as a 2.5 PM washer. This helps those living in the cities breathe pollutant-free air.
- Has a super impressive air throw to maximize the comfort of the occupants.
- Fewer electronic parts, for example, no lights, means less risk of getting damaged.
- It uses i-PURE technology to eliminate air pollutants in your room.
- Lacks sensors that indicate the level of water in the tank.
8. Havells Freddo I 70-Liter Cooler – Smart Cooling
Among the 70-litre Havells Freddo air cooler’s headline features are the collapsible louvres that filter out dust and insects from entering the air cooling machine.
It is a value for money product that integrates several automated features. These include the low water indicator for a warning before the water runs out, dry run protection and, and an autofill and drain for action whenever appropriate.
- Because the Havells Freddo 70-liter air cooler uses a fan as a propeller, it produces less noise. This makes it an appropriate cooler for corporate offices.
- It has a large water tank with a capacity of 70 litres, an amount that can stand up for long hours before the next refill. The tank is creatively designed to exclude mosquitoes from entering and breeding.
- The humidity control function in the air cooler lets you achieve the best cooling results on a humid day by regulating the amount of water distributed to the honeycomb pads.
- It has 3 dust filter nets that prevent dust and insects from getting into the air cooler. This protects both the machine and the wellbeing of the people around them.
- There are 6 honeycomb cooling pads in Hevells Freddo. Besides the cooling action, they all look decent, resistant to bacteria and erosion, and absorbs dust & cleans it.
- The cooler’s grill has an LED display for temperature. This informs you of whether to adjust or maintain speed.
- It has a compact size that occupies less space.
- Impressive design and smart cooling making it a great choice for living space as well.
- The castor wheels make moving the cooler more comfortable.
- No negative points were observed.
9. Kenstar Tower Cooler – Personal Cooler
Being a tower cooler, the Kenstar 15-liter air cooler occupies little space and is one of the models tailored for individual needs. Its ability to sustain a good air range enables it to survive through all seasons while providing the cool effect required.
It takes the form of a small, stylish build that incorporates an ice cooler to hasten the cooling process.
- The Kenstar tower cooler sufficiently serves an area of about 200 square ft. The room has to be well ventilated for efficient cooling of the air.
- It has a powerful air throw that shoots up to a distance of about 24ft. That’s quite impressive figure for an individual air cooler.
- The automatic louvres increase the airflow pressure, further enhancing the cooling process in the target area.
- Has low power consumption of about 100W.
- Uses honeycomb pads to generate the cooling effect from the water.
- Good in serving cold air to a specific area as opposed to an entire room.
- It has castor wheels for easy movement across the room.
- The cooler has an inbuilt timer function that can be preset for up to 7 hours.
- It has a mosquito net filter.
- The remote control simplifies the controlling process.
- Adding ice before switching it on makes you enjoy a more cold breeze.
- Fan speed is very low.
10. Cello Osum Desert Air Cooler – Silent Cooler
As one of the most sought air coolers, the Cello Osum offers standard cooling to a large area.
The cooler has a small body frame but incorporates excellent features in it. For example, the impressive air throw of up to 54ft.
- The water tank capacity is 50 litres, sufficient to cool an area of size 700 square ft or less.
- Delivering air at a maximum rate of 5400m³/hr, the cooler has 3-speed control settings to choose from.
- Cello Osum is a great energy conservant. It only consumes 185W units of power.
- The castor wheels at all the corners are so efficient, especially with the cooler’s short body. You can easily push it around.
- The cooler comes with a separate modern digital remote for controlling the operations of the cooler. According to the needs of the occupants in place.
- It is compatible with an inverter battery. To conserve energy when working on an inverter, you have to cut the fan’s speed and maybe turn off the louvres.
- The noise levels from its functioning are acceptable.
- It comes with a remote control that works perfectly, even from a distance.
- Operating it is easy for both amateurs and experienced users alike.
- It has no ice chamber.
11. Voltas Desert VE D60MH – Value for Money
Due to the large size of the Voltas cooler, it is mainly designed for large rooms.
The performance of this particular cooler will tremendously exceed your expectations. A significant point to note is that the Voltas air cooler is specifically designed for maximum efficiency for the desert climates.
- It has a massive water tank of 60 litres that can substantially serve occupants for long hours.
- The castor wheels at the four corners help with the mobility of the cooler around the house.
- Despite the large size and larger scale of operations, the Voltas cooler power consumption levels are surprisingly low at just about 190W.
- The cooler serves large rooms with a diameter of approximately 16.5- inches.
- As for the honeycomb cooling pads, they are thicker for improved cooling. And compared to Aspen material, they are more expensive in the initial buy but cost-effective in the cooler’s lifetime cost. For instance, low maintenance and more durability.
- It offers perfect airflow and a soothing cooling.
- Elegant quality at an affordable price.
- The cooling picks on so fast because of its honeycomb pads.
- The motor is not very durable.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are Air Coolers Good For Health?
Yes. Air coolers do not have adverse side effects on your health. If anything, they make the air you breathe fresher, cleaner, and, more importantly, moist.
Read this article to know in detail how air coolers are good for your health.
2. Are Air Coolers Effective?
Yes. This mainly depends on the level of humidity and the cross ventilation situation in your room. When humidity is high, then the effects of an air cooler are not felt.
But when humidity is low, air cooler comes to your safety by moistening the air you breathe in. A good balance with ventilation by opening the windows in your room will greatly boost an air cooler’s performance.
3. How Much Electricity Does An Air Cooler Use?
Air coolers are one of the most energy conservative appliances at home. Even the premium large units hardly consume more than 200 watts of power. The acquisition and running costs of air coolers are considerably cheap.
4. How Do I Keep My Cooler From Smelling?
Regular and thorough cleaning will surely help.
Involve soap detergents and baking soda before heavily scrubbing the cooler parts. Rinse it more than once and finally spray a sanitizing agent.
5. Can We Use Air Cooler Without Water?
That’s a big No. All air coolers are naturally designed to use water. Essential for the evaporative cooling process.
It is always advisable to check the water level in the water-air cooler tank before using the cooler.
6. Does Putting A Wet Towel Over A Fan Make It Cooler?
You can dip a towel in water and squeeze it to a point where it stops trickling water. When the wet-dry towel cloth is used to cover the fan’s opening, the air coming out feels colder.
7. Is air cooler better than AC?
Air coolers are suitable for cooling hot and dry air. Air conditioners are effective in cooling areas with humidity of less than 20 %.
However, they are expensive to use and operate compared to air coolers, which is a reasonable option. Moreover, air coolers prevent your skin from feeling dry.
8. Which is better – desert cooler or room cooler?
A desert cooler is a better option if you wish to use it for outdoor purposes or in larger areas while a room cooler is specifically designed for cooling your own personal space or room.
Room coolers are also more compact and portable when compared to desert coolers.
The alarming level of global warming is setting newer records of higher temperature every passing year. In such scenarios, it’s obvious that the air-coolers have become part and parcel of our lives fighting against the energy-sapping summer heat.
The air-coolers provide an affordable solution for managing heat and prevent heat-associated health disorders. With time, the air-coolers have evolved, and nowadays the latest models come with advanced technology and designs for a more robust cooling effect.