Top 9 Cat Litter Essentials
Cats are very private creatures that mostly prefer being on their own. Hence, cats especially house cats require a private place where they can excrete their waste. A cat litter tray products helps them do just that without spreading the waste in the entire house.
We define cat litter as filler that comes in the form of loose granular material that absorbs moisture as well as odor. This helps in the easy removal of the waste while also satisfying your cat’s instinctive desire of using an easily dug material.
There are other products which also help in cleaning the litter box, also ensuring an odor free and neat surrounding. This article highlights the different types of cat litter and housecleaning products. We also mention a comprehensive buyer’s guide along with the detailed review of the top 9 cat litter and housecleaning products. You can also go through the FAQ to know more about cat litter.
Table Of Contents
- 1 Top 9 Litter and Housekeeping Products
- 2 Types of housekeeping products
- 3 Types of Litter
- 4 Buyer’s Guide for Cat Litter Essentials
- 5 1. Let’s Bite Clumping Cat Litter – Our Choice
- 6 2. Neatykitty Clumping Cat Litter – The Long-Lasting Litter
- 7 3. Petville Petcrux Exclusive Scoopable Cat Litter – Value for Money
- 8 4. Petkin Cat Litter Deodorizer Lavender 2 in 1 – Best Odor Remover
- 9 5. Pets Empire Cat Litter Plastic Scooper with Long Handle – The Practical and Cute Scooper
- 10 6. Baoblae 1 Set Plastic Cat Litter Tray Poop Sieve & Scoop – Best Sieve and Scoop Set
- 11 7. Heads Up For Tails Intersand Scoopable Cat Litter with Huft Scooper – The Economical Cat Litter
- 12 8. Pet Brands Cat Litter De-Odorising Crystals – Best Silica Gel Litter
- 13 9. SRI Cat Toilet Close Bedpans Potty Litter Boxes – Best Cat Litter Box
- 14 Frequently Asked Questions
- 15 Conclusion
Top 9 Litter and Housekeeping Products
The Long-Lasting Litter
Value for Money
Best Odor Remover
The Practical and Cute Scooper
Best Sieve and Scoop Set
The Economical Cat Litter
Best Silica Gel Litter
Best Cat Litter Box
Types of housekeeping products
A cat litter scoop is a handy too when it comes to cleaning the litter box. It is usually made using plastic or metal and comes with holes along with a long handle. A cat litter scoop with small holes has a practical and convenient design that allows you to scoop out the waste from the litter. The waste is then disposed off safely using this tool.
Another important cat essential is the cat litter box. A Best cat litter box has all the features and benefits to keeps your house clean and also provides your cat a private space to excrete its waste. This also ensures your cat’s safety by preventing her from having to go outdoors to get relief. There are different types of cat litter box which you can read about.
Odor and Stain Remover
As the name suggests these are products formulated keeping in mind the safety of your pet. They are made using non-toxic elements and natural fragrances like lavender to remove odor and any unwanted stains of urine or waste. It ensures that the cat litter box and its surroundings remain clean with a fresh smell.
Types of Litter
This litter is made from granulated bentonite clay. They also might contain quartz or silica. The main feature of this natural product is that it absorbs moisture easily to form solid mass like clumps which can be easily scooped out with the waste. It prevents you from having to change the entire litter, hence it lasts longer.
This type of litter should not be flushed in a toilet as it can easily get clogged because of its clumping nature.
Non-Clumping Conventional Litter
Non-Clumping cat litter is a clay-based litter made of zeolite, diatomite and sepiolite. They absorb moisture but do not clump like clumping litter. Moreover, when poured into a litter box, it might give out a strong odor. Hence, the litter boxes with this litter should be kept in basements or in areas of the house which is not used much.
However, certain non-clumping litter contains baking soda or odorized crystals which can lessen the odor.
Biodegradable litter are the environmental litter that is made using resources like pine wood pellets, recycled newspaper, sawdust, walnuts, barley, soy pulp, dried orange peel etc. They are safe to use as well as very safe to dispose off, unlike the other litter.
This litter also has deodorizing properties that masks odor to give you an odor-free litter box and surrounding. However, the only drawback is that it is very expensive than clay litter.
This is also referred to as ‘crystal litter’ and has a porous granular form with the highest moisture absorption rate. It can absorb the liquid and odor of a healthy adult cat for up to 30 days. Once the litter is saturated it starts smelling, notifying you when it is time to change the litter.
Unlike, clumping litter or any other litter you don’t have to constantly replace the litter after the waste has been scooped out. You only need to stir the cat litter crystals to avoid pooling of the urine.
These are a chemical and clay-free litter that removes odor and keeps you home clean with a fresh pine smell. It absorbs moisture and locks in the odor of ammonia. This is a type of non-clumping biodegradable litter that is made from 100% natural and pure pine.
This is a type of clumping litter that uses wheat as its primary ingredient. The natural wheat enzymes masks the bad odors and clumps up easily. This makes it easily scoop-able. These are free of chemicals and harmful substances. Hence, it is safe for your cat to use. Moreover, the texture adds to the comfort of your cat.
Buyer’s Guide for Cat Litter Essentials
There are different types of litter for you to choose from. The most suitable choices are clumping litter that is easily scoop-able, biodegradable litter is safe to use and easy to dispose. You can also go for silica gel litter that requires no replenishing.If you choose non-clumping conventional litter be sure to go for the ones that come with baking soda or odorized crystals that mask the odor otherwise you will need to place it at a corner of the house which is not used much like the basement.
Ensure that the litter you purchase has the ability to mask the bad odor with its odor eliminating feature. Go for a product that is enhanced with a light perfume of a natural fragrance like that of lavender. The litter should have baking soda that locks in the smell of ammonia to ensure a clean litter box and surroundings with a fresh smell.
- Absorbing capability
If you go for a clumping litter ensure that it has an ultra-absorbent feature that absorbs moisture quickly and clumps up readily to form a solid mass like texture. This allows you to scoop out the waste along with the clumped up litter so that you can dispose it off safely and replace the scooped out litter with fresh litter. Moreover, a super absorbent litter ensures a reduction in odor.
A cat has an instinctive desire to cover its waste with mud or any other dig up substance like sand. Hence, go for the litter which comes with a granular texture to satisfy this urge. Moreover, it ensures comfort to your cat’s paws making it a pleasant experience for your furry friend.
- Level of Clumping
The level of clumping depends upon the absorption of the litter. The faster the litter absorbs the moisture the faster it will clump. The more the level of clumping the more it will be easier to scoop out the waste. However, more clumping would mean having to replace the clumped litter with fresh litter frequently. Thus, this factor should be considered before making a buy.
There are different types of housekeeping products that aim in keeping your home clean with no bad smell. The different types of products are cat litter scooper, litter box and odor and stain remover. Choose a product based on your requirement. You can read more about them in the previous section.
The product you buy should be made using non-toxic material that is safe for the use of your cat. Even the scooper and cat litter box should be made using non-toxic plastic material. The odor and stain remover should be free from harmful chemicals so that your cat’s safety is always ensured.
The odor and stain remover you purchase should have a fresh scent that masks the odor. Go for a natural fragrance like that of lavender or a baby scent. Cats are sensitive to smell so you need to go for lightly perfumed deodorizers that makes it a pleasant experience for your pet.
- Scoop Design
The scoop you buy should be made using a good quality plastic or metal. The design should be practical with holes and a long handle that will allow you to scoop out the litter conveniently. There are available in different colors and designs for you to choose from.
1. Let’s Bite Clumping Cat Litter – Our Choice
If you are in search of a quick-clumping litter with a super absorbent feature that keeps the litter clean and dry, the Let’s Bite Clumping Litter is our number one recommendation. This product comes in a 6 kg pack that is available at a very reasonable price. It comes with a lavender fragrance that helps in controlling odor.
Moreover, the product’s natural color and aroma makes it both pet and animal friendly. You won’t have a problem with scooping and disposing it off. Thus, it is the best option for you to go for.
- Type of litter: Clumping Litter.
- Size of a pack: 6 kg.
- It has a lavender fragrance.
- The litter is pet as well as people friendly.
- It is up to 99% dust free.
- It has a hard clumping structure.
- It has a strong absorption capability that keeps the sand clean and dry.
- The product is pocket friendly.
- Easy to scoop and dispose off.
- Users have complained that clumping is not the best.
- As per a user review, the litter gets mushy and smelly, hence requires frequent changing.
2. Neatykitty Clumping Cat Litter – The Long-Lasting Litter
The Neaty Kitty Clumping Cat Litter has a texture of natural clay that ensures a soft feel to your cat. It clumps quickly making it easier to scoop out and clean. The fresh fragrant odor eliminators and the super absorbent feature of this litter ensures that there is no smell. Moreover, this litter is much more long-lasting so you don’t have to frequently change the litter, only daily scooping is needed.
- Type: Quick Clumping Litter.
- It comes in packs of 2 each weighing 5 kg.
- Contains fresh fragrant heavy duty odor eliminators.
- It has a fine texture of natural bentonite clay granules that provides your cat with a soft feel.
- Comes with a highly absorbent formula which makes it absorb faster and clump quickly.
- It does not crumble making it easy to scoop and clean.
- The super absorbent feature traps odor in the clumps.
- Less litter usage makes it long-lasting.
- It is non-toxic keeping your cat safe.
- The litter gets stuck in the paws of the cat making the house dirty.
- Users have complained about the quality of the product.
3. Petville Petcrux Exclusive Scoopable Cat Litter – Value for Money
The Petville Petcrux Exclusive Scoop-able Cat Litter is the perfect example of a value for money product. This cat litter absorbs moisture at a very fast rate, dries and then clumps instantly. This makes it easier to scoop the waste out and replace the old litter with a fresh layer of this litter. It comes in a lavender fragrance which controls bad odor and texture that provides your cat with a comfortable feel.
Thus, this 25 kg pack of cat litter might be a bit expensive but it is totally worth the price. You will not regret purchasing this cat litter for your cat.
- Net Weight: 25 kg.
- Type: Clumping Litter.
- Has a Lavender fragrance.
- It is a 100% natural bentonite clay-based litter.
- Absorbs moisture and clumps instantly.
- Has a high liquid absorption rate.
- The instant clumping makes it easily scoop-able, ensuring an easy and mess-free cleaning.
- Has anti-odor properties that eliminate odor or smell.
- Prevents the litter from spreading all over the house.
- The texture of the litter gives your cat a naturally soft feel.
- It lasts for a longer time period.
- It is a bit expensive.
4. Petkin Cat Litter Deodorizer Lavender 2 in 1 – Best Odor Remover
The Petkin Cat Litter Deodorizer is an odor remover that uses a 2 in 1 formula where the odor is removed using the power of pure baking soda while the aromatherapy essences freshen the litter box. It comes with a lavender fragrance that keeps your cat’s litter box and surroundings clean with a fresh by simply adding it into the box. Thus, if you are looking for a housebreaking product for your cat’s litter box that masks the bad smell, this is the ideal choice.
- Net weight: 567 grams.
- It has a lavender fragrance.
- It is an odor remover as well as a deodorant.
- Consists of baking soda that removes odor.
- The aromatherapy essences freshen the litter box.
- It is suitable for all types of cat litter including clay, scoop-able and natural.
- Ideal for households with multiple cats.
- Easy to use as you just have to add it to your cat’s litter box.
- Keeps your cat’s litter box clean with a fresh smell.
- The moisture activated formula freshens the box and surrounding area with soothing aromatherapy essences each time your cat uses the litter box.
- As per a user, the product did not mask the odor of the litter box.
5. Pets Empire Cat Litter Plastic Scooper with Long Handle – The Practical and Cute Scooper
This cat litter scooper from Pets Empire comes in bright color options with cute designs. The practical design with slits and gaps allows you to use it easily to separate your pet’s waste from the litter. The long handles ensure firm grip along with comfort while using it. It also comes with holes on the handle to hang it in a convenient spot.
If you are looking for a handy clean up tool for your cat, this is something you should definitely consider. It offers convenience at a very reasonable price!
- This is a cat litter scooper that serves as a handy clean-up tool.
- It comes in cute designs including popular cartoon shapes.
- Available in different color options.
- It has a long handle, making it easy to use.
- Material: PP plastic material is used for construction.
- The surface of the scooper is smooth.
- It has a practical and convenient design that makes it easy to use and clean with.
- Allows you to comfortably separate your cat’s waste from the litter.
- It can be used as a cleanup tool for all pet’s including dogs and other pets as well.
- As per user reviews, the quality of the plastic scooper is not up to the mark.
6. Baoblae 1 Set Plastic Cat Litter Tray Poop Sieve & Scoop – Best Sieve and Scoop Set
This is a set of a red scoop and a blue sieve through which you can easily scoop out the clumps and waste. The product has a light-weight design with a long handle cat litter scoop and a scoop base. It can conveniently hook on to the litter and scoop it, eliminating bad odor and mess. This cleaning tool ensures that your home is kept hygienic and germ-free.
- Offers a litter scoop and a sieve.
- Red Scoop Size (L x W x H): Approx. 27 x 11 x 3 cm.
- Blue Sieve Size (L x W x H): Approx.25.5 x 10 x 3 cm
- It has a light-weight design.
- The material used PP plastic.
- Comes with a sturdy handle and a scoop base.
- It makes cleaning easy by scooping out the clumps conveniently.
- Eliminates mess and odor.
- Keeps your home hygienic and germ free.
- The sieve allows you to remove only the clumps and waste.
- Users have complained about the quality of the product.
7. Heads Up For Tails Intersand Scoopable Cat Litter with Huft Scooper – The Economical Cat Litter
This is a medium grain litter that is easily scoop-able. The ultra-absorbent feature along with the free scooper allows you to easily scoop out the waste. It also controls the odor of the box and its surroundings. Moreover, it comes in a 10 kg pack with a reasonable price making it a very economical product to use on a daily basis.
- It is a medium grain Scoopable cat litter.
- Comes in a pack of 10 Kg.
- It comes with a free Huft Scooper.
- It has an ultra-absorbent feature that absorbs moisture quickly.
- Has a baby powder scent.
- Economical to use on a daily basis.
- It is safe for your cat to use.
- It is can be easily scooped with the free scooper provided.
- Controls the odor of the litter box along with the surrounding.
- As per a user, the free scooper was not provided with the product.
8. Pet Brands Cat Litter De-Odorising Crystals – Best Silica Gel Litter
The Pet Brands Cat Litter De-Odorising Crystals are silica gel crystals that can be easily sprinkled on the litter box. It locks in the ammonia smell and reduces odor because of its odor eliminating formula. This keeps the litter box and its surroundings clean and fresh. Hence, ensuring a pleasant experience for your indoor cat.
- These are cat litter silica gel crystals.
- Available in packs of 2 each weighing 170 grams.
- Suitable for all types of cat litter.
- It is lightly perfumed with a fresh smell.
- Recommended for indoor cats.
- These are non-toxic crystals which are completely safe for your cat.
- It is an easy way to keep the litter box fresh and clean.
- The odor eliminating formula locks in ammonia odors and reduces odor by simply sprinkling it on top of the litter box.
- Needs to be stirred daily to prevent urine from pooling.
9. SRI Cat Toilet Close Bedpans Potty Litter Boxes – Best Cat Litter Box
This cat litter box for cats is the best litter box to go for if you want to train your cat. It is made using plastic, super robust with a practical design that lets your pet in and out of this box easily. It reduces odor while giving your cat a private place to eliminate waste. Moreover, the litter box has a hood that can be removed for easy cleaning.
If you are looking for such features in a cat litter box then this is the best option to go for.
- This is a regular cat litter box with a special sieving system at the bottom.
- Made using a stain and odor-resistant polypropylene plastic.
- Provided with two active carbon filters.
- It has a swinging door for easy access for your cat.
- The snap-on hood provides privacy to your cat.
- Comes with a top handle for an easy carry option.
- Reduces odor with its carbon filter.
- It can be cleaned easily using a damp wet cloth.
- The hood can be lifted off easily for cleaning.
- It is comfortable and spacious for your cat.
- No such cons were mentioned.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many litter boxes do I need?
The number of litter boxes you need will depend on the number of cats you have. You need to have one litter box for each cat along with one extra. Cats are private animals and sharing of the litter box would not be a good option.
2. Which is the best way to clean a litter box?
The best way to clean a litter box is by using simple soap and water or wipe it with a wet cloth. Avoid using chemical cleaning products as they might be harmful and because cats are sensitive to smell. So, they might avoid using the litter box because of the smell.
You can use odor and stain removers that come with a light fragrance to mask bad odors. Moreover, they are made from non-toxic substances making it safe to use.
3. Does Litter fight odor?
Litter can come with odorizing crystals and baking soda that locks in the smell of ammonia. Thus, it reduces odor. Moreover, it absorbs moisture and comes with fresh fragrances that mask the odor.
4. How often should the litter box be cleaned?
The litter box should be cleaned regularly. Clumps and waste should be scooped daily. The clumped litter should be replaced with fresh litter. You also need to clean the litter box using water and soap every week.
We come to the end of this article. Maintaining the hygiene of your home and keeping it free of germs in very important. Thus, you need to buy certain cat litter and housebreaking products to ensure a clean surrounding for your family and your cat.
Go through the comprehensive guide as it explains all the factors you need to consider before making a purchase. You can purchase any of the products mentioned in the top 9 list of cat litter and house cleaning products. If you are looking for a suitable option on cat litter, buy our number one choice- Let’s Bite Clumping Cat Litter.
You can also go for the Petkin Cat Litter Deodorizer Lavender 2 in 1 if you want a odor remover. On the other hand, the Baoblae 1 Set Plastic Cat Litter Tray Poop Sieve Scoop is a great option for a cat litter scooper.