Top 10 Women Running Shoes
When it comes to buying running shoes, it can sometimes seem tricky even to the most experienced shopper. This is because you will be spending a lot of time in these shoes and so, it is very important that they are right for you. Whether you are intend to run for fun, fitness or to reduce stress after a long day, the right type of running shoes can help the miles fly without too much strain.
To buy the best running shoe, it is important to understand the biomechanics of running,the benefits of a running shoe, the various types of running shoes brands available out there in the market, and what to consider when selecting the appropriate running shoe for your needs.
Our Top Pick
Ideal for Long Distance Running / Marathon
Great for Cross Training
Best Shoes for Trail Running
Best Lightweight shoes
Great for use on the treadmill or on a padded track
Best for Midnight Runs
Best Shoe for Every Day Running
Best for Short Runs and Walks
The Benefits of Wearing Running Shoes
Nowadays, a running shoe is almost a necessity to most people who love going out for runs. Despite the different styles and price tags, running shoe provide almost similar benefits not only to your feet but also the rest of the body.
Here are some benefits you will experience when you put on your running shoe when you go out for your runs.
Protects your feet and prevent injury
Unless you usually train on a very smooth and well-kept track, chances are very high that the rough track or road you normally use for daily runs is full of all types of sharp objects and bacteria.
These dangerous objects include sharp glasses or stones which have the potential to cause lots of blisters and injuries to your feet.
That is why you need a running shoe with good cushioning to safeguard your feet from these dangerous elements.
You will feel more comfortable
Running shoes feature insole and outsole cushioning that is super comfortable. Some shoes such as the Nike running shoes have added features such as the air pressure systems which is designed to help you train more comfortably.
Your performance will improve significantly.
The added comfort and running capacity goes a long way in improving the performance of athletes who wear shoes as compared to those who don’t.
Having the right running shoe have been proven to motivating factor that push people to engage more actively in running.
Types of Running Shoes
The following are the different types of running shoes available in the market classified according to their functionality.
They also feature a more structured upper and extra overlay to not only hold your footing but also makes them very durable.
Motion Control Shoes
They are designed for people who have severe pronation which means that their feet roll too far upon impact.
A straight shape ensures maximum support to the foot. These shoes have stiffer heels, denser foam and a well built upper as well as the overlay.
Neutral Running shoes
Neutral shoes are for people who have moderate foot motion and neutral biomechanics. It is a shoe with a fairly minimal upper with minimal overlays and is very consistent throughout the midsole.
Cushioned shoes are also characterized by a very soft midsole that comes with minimum medial support.
They are designed with a very little cushioning and minimal heel to toe drop to encourage running with ease and a more natural stride. They are flexible but not as flexible as the barefoot running shoes.
Bare Foot Shoes
These shoes simulate running barefooted albeit with a shoe. They feature very thin soles to give you protection against elements such as stones, glass pieces, germs, etc. The shoe has zero heels to toe drop, are tough, incredibly light and very flexible.
How to Pick the Right Running Shoes
Buying the right running shoes affects your overall performance.
Finding the most suitable shoes for the shape of your feet will enable you to run much easier than with ordinary trainers.
Here the most important aspects to consider when shopping for running shoes.
The Width of the Shoe.
Consider a shoe that has adequate room for your toes to move freely without feeling very squeezed. Remember that your feet swell as you run and therefore, you will need extra room for your toes to move without any constraints.
In case you have wide feet, go for shoes that are also wide. Squeezing your toes in a very narrow shoe can leave you in undesirable pain and blisters.
The Length of the shoe.
The length of your ideal shoe is normally the distance between the longest toe and the center of the heel curve. You should have adequate space between your longest toe and the shoe front.
Most fitness trainers normally advocate for running shoes that are a bit larger than your regular shoes due to the movement when running especially for longer periods or distances.
The heel to toe drop.
It is also known as the offset. To make it simpler, this number represents the numeric difference between the stack height of the heel of the shoe and the height of the toe.
Typical shoes have an offset of 10 to 12 mm.
The amount of Cushioning
Thick cushioning is perfect if you have a heavyweight, or you need shoes that can absorb more shock as you land. Shoes with thick cushions also tend to be super comfortable and a lot safer in case you are running on a surface with sharp objects.
However, you might have to consider lighter cushioning if you prefer less bulky shoes that are lightweight and flexible.
The type of your feet
Just like our faces, we all have different types of feet. The different biology of our feet dictates the type of shoe that fits each and every individual.
It is essential that you understand the type of your feet before you buy a running shoe.
Here is a breakdown of different types of feet.
It is the inward rolling motion of your foot from the heel to the toe as you run. Pronation helps your foot in absorbing shock and adapting to uneven surfaces.[/thrive_text_block]We all run differently and that is exactly why there are different types of pronation namely neutral pronation, overpronation, and severe overpronation as shown above.
This is the rolling of your foot outwards as you run. This can cause your foot to twist awkwardly causing ankle injuries and strain.
People with supination have shoes which tilt outward when placed on a flat surface.
The arch Category
There are three major foot arch categories namely the low arch, the high arch, and the normal arch.
If you have a low arch, you normally land on the external part of the foot and roll over into the internal part of the foot as you transfer your weight. Individuals with a low arch are best suited by motion stability shoes as these shoes help improve foot stability and prevent the feet from moving around.
You have a normal arch if you usually land on middle towards the corner of your heel and roll over to the inside of your feet. Go for stability running shoes which are designed to ensure that there is the right amount of stability to your sole.
In case you have a high arch, your foot doesn’t get enough rotation as you land, which is called underpronation. Cushioned running shoes will be the best fit for you as they absorb the shock and have enough space for better movement of your toes.
Good shoes are highly breathable which goes a long way in keeping your shoe dry. The mesh top found on most running shoes allows for free circulation of air thus regulating the amount of sweating.
Good running shoes should have an excellent support system. Poor support can lead to pain in your knee and even bruises and injury.
Ensure that the shoes have arch support, giving them the much-needed stability.
Material of the Shoe
The material of a shoe dictates several of its key aspects such as durability, comfort, and performance. Most shoes are now made of synthetic material such as Eva as compared to traditional shoes which were made of animal products such as animal skin and leather. Make sure the material of the shoe you choose is waterproof.
Eva material is lightweight, durable and very comfortable.
Go for a shoe with seamless construction, made with a strong fabric, and reinforced sturdy stitching. This helps in ensuring that the shoe is durable.
Although most trainers will tell you that you should never compromise on the quality of a shoe over the price, there are lots of shoes out there in the market for everyone, even those on a tight budget.
For a little as INR 450, you can buy a good running shoe that will serve the intended purchase.
1. Power Women’s Running Shoes – Our Top Pick
We all love shoes from Bata and for good reasons. Not only are their shoes of good and durable quality that ensures maximum comfort but are also pocket-friendly. Power running shoes are a sports brand made by Bata that will help you maximize your performance at a minimum budget.
The shoes are delivered in a very neat packaging which upon opening it up has a protective covering to keep off dust and moisture.
- The closure is by means of laces, whose color match with that of the sole.
- They feature a flat heel that has a height of 0.5 inches.
- Built with a minimalistic design that is lightweight thus ensuring that the shoes don’t feel heavy on your feet and that you experience optimum comfort.
- Breathable mesh top to help air circulate therefore minimizing sweating during exercise.
- Available in sky blue and pink colors that will lighten your mood as you train.
- The shoes have a very cool and attractive design.
- The shoes fit perfectly. There is even a size chart to help guide you when picking your size.
- They have decent padding and traction.
- You get a good shoe at an affordable price.
- They are too narrow for women who have wide feet.
2. Reebok Women’s Cool Traction Xtreme Running Shoes – Ideal for Long Distance Running / Marathon.
The Reebok cool traction is a premium, well cushioned running shoe. The shoe features plenty of road running support and great traction which is tailored to help you make long strides and give all for long distances. This is also a very light shoe that will help you find your rightful speed on the track.
Although the foam cushioning might be considered as a bit thin, if you run using the right technique, then it should not be an issue.
- Good construction with a sturdy stitching which makes the shoe durable.
- Features a flat heel that comes with machine cut trends that improve the traction thus enabling you to run without sliding on even wet surfaces.
- The outsole is made of rubber for durability and the middle sole is made of Eva (Ethylene-vinyl acetate) material which brings in comfort and great cushioning.
- A mesh upper fabric which enhances breathability and support.
- Fits well and feels very comfortable when put on.
- Features a cool design and color scheme that motivates you as prepare to run.
- The shoe is light and less bulky.
- The quality of the shoes is very good.
- Undesirably packaged for a shoe of this price range.
3. Lotto Women’s Logo plus W Running Shoes – Super lightweight
Are you looking for a budget gift for your mum, girlfriend or sister? The Lotto women’s logo plus running shoes are probably the perfect pick.
This shoe is not only designed for running purposes but can also count as small size sneakers, great for a weekend out with friends.
Lotto made the shoes with the latest technology giving you everything you need to take you to the top of your day. The cool sneaker design which comes in three different colours namely blue, lime, and pink is sure to please fans of this Italian shoe.
- Made of synthetic material has a laminate mid cage that strengthens the shoe support.
- A flat heel design that has trends which ensures good traction on different types of surfaces.
- Lace up closure that comes with the shoes laces white in colour.
- Perforations on the front part of the upper which allows your feet to remain cool and dry due to improved air circulation.
- You get a very trendy shoe at a very affordable price.
- The shoe can be used for running and as a weekend sneaker.
- They feel very comfortable.
- They are super lightweight.
- They tend to fit true to size.
- They are narrow for ladies who prefer to have some room.
4. Li-Ning Women’s Running Shoes – Great for Cross Training
The Chinese Li-Ning brand is now gaining popularity in the Indian market due to their superior quality. These shoes are versatile enough to be worn somewhere else other than the track such as during cross training or at the gym.
They feature great ventilation and great cushioning that adapts to your footprint. The ridges on sole trap rocks.
- Features an anti-collision toe which safeguards your foot from injury.
- The lines on the upper part are double layered which enhances the support and maximizes the warmth.
- Features a thick flexible outsole which is made of rubber which improves the cushioning and improves the traction on multiple surfaces.
- Flynit technology which maximizes the support and significantly reduces the weight of the shoe.
- Made with a flexible groove design on the forefoot to improve the comfort while running.
- Available in multiple color schemes which look great on a lady. The floral design above was particularly awesome.
- Feature lace-up adjustability, a moderately sized tongue, and colored padding.
- The top is made of a breathable mesh of good quality and material strength.
- They are lightweight despite the size.
- Seamless construction that is strong and durable.
- They fit very well and are super comfortable.
- They are a bit pricey.
5. Puma Women’s Ultron WN’s IDP Running Shoes – Best Shoes for Trail Running
The Puma Ultron is a no-nonsense women running shoe that is engineered to deliver in almost every aspect from comfort to durability to performance. The cushioning is soft and the traction is very great on all manner of surfaces.
You will love this one if you are a fan of shoes with great cushioning as it comes with a thick outsole which is surprisingly light.
- Breathable mesh top that allows for free air movement thus keeping your feet cool and dry.
- Thick, low profile cushioning that comes with superior ortholite insoles to enhance the shoe performance and comfort.
- Sturdy construction with the upper fabric featuring a laminate mid cage to provide more support and stability.
- They feature a flat parametric web outsole that is designed to enhance the traction thus reducing the chances of sliding off even on wet surfaces.
- Available in Peacoat-Purple-Sparkcosmo and Blue Atoll-White-Gray Violet that will match with most of your workout shorts or trousers.
- The shoes tend to fit true to the selected size.
- You get a quality shoe at a favourable price.
- They are comfortable and lightweight.
- A vibrant color scheme and trendy design.
- They are a bit bulky for ladies with very small feet.
6. Red Tape Women’s Running Shoes – Best Lightweight shoes
The next shoe on the list is the laceless Red Tape. The shoe is a favorite among the ladies who care about comfort and hygiene. The shoe looks as classic as in the picture shown above.
The slip on design of the shoe allows your feet and ankle to feel free and unconstrained while running.
- They are made of a textile top that is extremely breathable if you have sweaty feet.
- A rubber outer sole which is long lasting.
- They are laceless which allows you to easily slip the shoes on.
- The heel is flat making the shoe more comfortable, safe, and ideal for running.
- A Knitted design that features a pink stripe on the outsole that looks good when worn by a lady.
- Easy to wash and dry very quickly.
- The sole has a good grip hence reducing the chances of sliping as you run.
- Lightweight that makes them very flexible.
- A very soft inner sole which provides enhanced cushion and comfort.
- The memory foam is poorly placed instead of being fixed with the shoe.
7. Nike Flex Experience Run 6 Women’s Black/Hot Punch/Cool Grey/White Running Shoe – Great for use on the treadmill or on a padded track.
Coming in with a very long name, the Nike flex experience run 6 shoe is a really great shoe that is both comfortable and good looking. You can wear this shoe all day long without feeling any strain or getting any sores.
- A rubber sole that is durable and has plenty of flex making it easier to land or get up on your toes.
- A flat trend that performs really well on multiple surfaces such as the gym surface, wet as paddled tracks.
- The top is entirely mesh which increases air flow during wear.
- A minimalistic design that is lightweight.
- The closure is by means of shoe laces which are black in colour.
- Flynit technology which significantly reduces the weight of the shoes and enhances the support.
- Comes with the right size that tends to fit perfectly well.
- Plenty of support especially for the ankles.
- The shoe is easily washable and dries very quickly.
- The shoe has a great padding making it super comfortable.
- The colour scheme looks very great.
- Lacks laminate cage on the sides of the top, which normally assists in enhancing the support during lateral movements.
- The shoes are a bit narrow for ladies who prefer wide shoes.
8. SAGMA Women’s Breathable Running Shoes – Best for Midnight Runs.
Featuring a vibrant colour palette that would easily win a beauty contest, the Sagma women shoes are the perfect shoes for midnight runs. The reflective colours ensures that motorists on the road can see you, if you normally go for running after dark has fallen or in the wee hours of the morning.
These shoes are made of a fabric that reduces the strain on your feet and ankles thus giving you a natural feel as you run. The Sagmas will fit comfortably into your feet and have good breathability courtesy of the mesh top that allows air to circulate freely.
The ankle and arch support make the shoes also ideal for long runs.
- A mesh top that helps regulates the amount of sweating and helps in keeping the shoes free of bacteria.
- Features an air pumping system which provides additional support and comfort.
- Strong construction that is well stitched and light weight.
- Designed with an anti-skid sole that enhances traction even on wet surfaces.
- They come with black laces to assist with the closure.
- Maan de with ability to absorb shock resulting from high impact while running or jumping.
- They are highly breathable.
- Tend to fit true to the selected size.
- They are reasonably priced.
- The laces tend to come off after prolonged use.
9. Adidas Women’s Adispree 2.0 W Running Shoes – Best Shoe for Every Day Running.
Adidas is a brand that has specialized in formidable quality, technicality and above all, a stylish appearance in all their shoe products and the adidas women’s adispree is no exception.
The thick rubber outsole is highly flexible and durable. The bottom of this outsole has trends which enhance the traction between the shoe and the ground making it hard for you to slide even when it is raining.
The Adidas Adispree performs well for every day running and high mileage.
- Features an outsole made of rubber material which is durable.
- A lace up closure.
- Thick cushioning that features a black inner sole.
- Has shock absoprtion feature with full rubber outsole for durability.
- Comes with a breathable mesh top to help regulate sweating.
- The shoe is available in various fashionable colour schemes to suit your preferences.
- It is lightweight and comfortable.
- The rubber sole is durable and anti-skid.
- It tends to fit well true to the size.
- You get a shoe of good qualities at a reasonable price range.
- The stitching did not live up to the expectation.
10. BEONZA Women Supersoft Grey Running Sports Shoes – Best for Short Runs and Walks.
The Beonza supersoft running shoes are designed for women who put a lot of emphasis on safety and comfort as they train. The cushioning is soft and the traction is great even on the wet surfaces.
This pocket friendly shoe has a thick sole and a breathable top that will ensure you don’t sweat excessively as you train.
Despite the comfortable cushioning and strong support, the shoe is very light.
- A breathable mesh top that improves the movement of air in the shoes.
- Lace up closure with the white colour of laces matching with the sole.
- A manmade sole that is rough to ensure maximum traction on the ground as you ran.
- They are come in a flat heel design that is ideal for people with a normal arch.
- The shoes fit true to the size.
- The shoe looks nice and feels very comfortable when put on.
- The shoes are made with a minimalistic design that features a sturdy stitching.
- Has an affordable price tag.
- There is a return policy in case you are not happy with the quality or size of the shoe.
- A few users have doubted its quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. After how long should I replace my running shoes?
How fast you need to replace your shoe depends on how you use it.
If you love going out for long runs on tough terrain or you normally have a high impact on the cushioning when you land, then your shoes are likely to have a shorter lifespan as compared to runners who train less frequently or land more softly.
2. How do I check if my running shoe is worn out beyond any further use?
Most shoes have a mileage of 250 to 500 miles. You can extend this lifespan a little longer by using the worn out shoes for walking but after about 700 miles, it is time to buy a new pair of shoe.
There are many indicators of a tired shoe. One is worn out trends. Outsoles normally outlive the upper parts and if they are faded, it is high time for you to buy new shoes.
If you feel pain after your run, it means that the cushioning is depleted and can no longer support your feet.
3. Some trainers recommend buying more than one running shoe. Is this right or it is just a marketing strategy?
It is highly recommendable to own more than one pair of running shoe. The second pair of shoes is very useful when you await the foam in the middle sole of the first shoe to regain in shape and size, a process that typically takes 24 hours, especially after a very intensive run.
Using different shoes also go a long way in helping your feet adapt quickly to different types of shoes.
4. How possible is it for a pair of shoes from the same manufacturer with the same size and same color scheme to fit differently?
It is very possible, which is why it is always advisable to check whether the shoe fits well on both of your feet before making any purchase or before the warranty period elapses. Your feet are not perfectly symmetrical and it is always good to check.
At a factory, shoes are handled by many people, a process that may lead to a few errors despite the high-quality control system that most companies have invested in nowadays.
5. Which shoe should I buy? One with more stability or a lightweight shoe?
If you don’t overpronate, then you will be a comfortable lightweight shoe. Pronation is the inward rolling of the heel upon landing. If you overpronate and weigh more, then you would rather purchase stability shoes which will provide more cushioning and prevent injuries.
6. I am a strict vegetarian who can’t buy shoe made using animal products. Are there options available for people like me in the market?
Most brands nowadays prefer the use of synthetic material to natural material while making shoes. Such synthetic materials are made in the lab using various chemicals combinations.
Very few cheap brands are made using animal products such as leather or skins, but it is always good to cross check the packaging and if in doubts, do not hesitate to call the manufacturer for more details.
7. I noticed that in this guide you mentioned ‘Eva’ foam quite a lot. What kind of material is this and is it recommendable to buy shoes that are made with it?
Eva is lighter than rubber and can absorb shock in a much better way. It contains air bubbles inside that significantly reduces its weight. Most shoes, nowadays, are using Eva in combination with other emerging technology such as the air pumping system to reduce the weight of shoes.
8. I have an injured ankle that is in pretty bad shape. What should I look for when buying a running shoe that will not hinder my recovery?
Buy a stable shoe that is of the right fit. Ensure that you undertake the wet test that normally helps many people in knowing their type of feet and the different type of shoes that would be great fit for them.
9. How does the nature of the training ground or track affect the choice of my running shoe?
Significantly. Rough terrain requires shoes with thick cushioning as compared to a terrain that is smooth. A wet road requires shoes with clear-cut trends which improve the traction and helps in minimizing the chances of sliding off.
10. Should I buy shoes that are a bit longer and wider than my casual shoes?
Yes, you should. Your feet normally swell when you run. You would feel very uncomfortable wearing shoes that have no room for your toes to move freely. Stuffy shoes are also a good breeding ground for odor-causing bacteria due to the dampness resulting from excessive sweating.
11. I have a normal arch. Is it okay if I purchase a motion control running shoe?
Consider your weight and your type of pronation. If you normally overpronate and have more than average weight, then you can go for motion control shoes.
If you are too heavy, avoid buying stability shoes as you are likely to flatten the cushioning.
12. Should I buy a running shoe at a local sports house or online?
Purchase a running shoe from an online store if you know how to measure your feet size and settle on a shoe size that will be a great fit for you. Online stores also offer a wide variety of running shoes. Most of these shoes can be returned in case you are not sure of the shoe size or it does not live up to your expectation.
However, if you are not sure of the shoe size, it is advisable that you buy the shoe from your local store as you can easily measure and pick your right size before you pay for the shoes.
If you love going out for runs, owning a pair of shoes is almost inevitable. The benefits of outweigh the cost incurred. You will need to find a good compromise between your budget and a shoe that fits your needs. The list above contains some of the best shoes in terms of durability, performance, and comfort.
As you go for shoe hunting, remember that different shoes are made for different runs and for use on different surfaces. For example, minimalistic shoe is best suited for use in the types of runs that have little impact. Likewise, a thick cushioned running shoe is ideal for people who engaged in intensive running activities or train on rough terrains.
Our top pick, the Power Women’s Running Shoe, has a thick cushioning, fits well, and is durable. We also chose it due to its not so costly price tag making it affordable to most ladies.
The other shoes in the list above are also good options, and hopefully, you are now in a better position to make the right purchase.