The Best Knee Braces
For someone who has been in an accident or has a knee injury, most times, what is given to you for treatment asides medication are knee braces. Knee braces are protective coverings which help to keep the knees and ligaments from further damage, protecting it at all times. It is made of highly durable material, which is a feature that makes suitable for support and carriage.
We have so many solutions to pain and injury that occurs on a day-to-day basis such as products for back support or even TENS unit for pain, so what do we have for the knee? The knees are very important parts of the body required for day-to-day activities, including sports and domestic activities. However, some of these knee braces are being recommended by a physiotherapist and medical practitioners, and some can be worn to be safe. In fact, you don’t need to be suffering from an injury before you can put it on. Nowadays, it’s easy to find knee brace online, and there are multiple options to choose from.
In this article review, we are going to be describing the top 10 best knee support India. They have been selected out of many with consideration to great factors and features. We have also mentioned its working, advantages, how to wear a knee brace and its type. Lastly, a buyers-guide and FAQ’s to help you out.
Top 10 Knee Braces
Best for Post Ops
Best Velcro strap
Best for Torn Meniscus
Best for sports
Best Elastic Design
Best for Climbing
Best Support System
Best for Arthritic Patients
How does it work?
If you are not suffering from an injury, you can put it on and remove when you wish; however, if you have an injury, you may choose to sleep with it while it works. The main important thing is to correct and protect the knee when necessary. It can be done and used at any time of the day.
How to Wear a Knee Brace
Pick your style of brace: Injuries are different from one another, the severity of yours determines the type and style of brace you would pick. If it’s for corrective and rehabilitative purposes, a rehabilitative knee brace would be suitable. However, if it’s just for sport, you can pick a prophylactic knee brace because of its design and structure.
Pull over the affected leg: The next thing you should do after picking a type of brace is to roll it over the affected area. There are different ways you may choose to wear it, i.e., you could expose it or cover it up. If you are exposing it, wrap over the knee while on shorts and if you are not, brace up first and put on a longer short.
Place the brace carefully over the knee cap: After placing the brace around the injured part, center it with the opening around the kneecap. This is a descriptive feature because it tells a user the way it should be fixed over the leg. The kneecap should be seen through the hole if worn correctly.
Strap up: Lastly, all you are left to do is to strap up. There are different ways of doing that, but the best-known way is to use the straps provided the correct way. Since you will be making use of Velcro strips, you shouldn’t make it too tight.
Advantages of using a Knee Brace
There is a belief that people who have knee injuries or waiting for knee replacement are the only ones required to have a knee brace; however, this is so untrue. You don’t necessarily need to be on a health issue before you get one. Below are advantages of a knee brace to end-users;
- It helps to reduce pain, soreness, and swelling caused as a result of performing an activity such as playing football
- In some cases where blood circulation is limited to the knees, it aids flow around the knees and enhances speedy recovery
- It can be used alongside a rehabilitation exercise or routine, especially for those that have undergone surgery or replacement
Types of Knee Braces
Several brands have designed their own type of brace for the knee, but there are 4 major types you will find. They have also been designed for several purposes, but in general, all work for the knees. The 5 popular types of braces are; Prophylactic, Functional, Rehabilitative, Knee Sleeve/Strap, and Unloader/Offloader Knee Braces.
Prophylactic Knee Braces
This type of knee braces is simple and have been designed solely for the prevention and reduction of excess pain around the ligaments. Since these ligaments are connected to the knee, it is very important to get something that will treat ligamentous injuries effectively. There are few people who are used to facing these injuries, and an example is a footballer.
Also, there is a ligament surrounding the knee called the Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) which needs to be protected against further injuries or stress and pressure. Many sportsmen face the risk of getting an MCL and getting this type of brace solves the problem completely.
Functional Knee Braces
In the ligaments, there is the ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) which is between the PCL (Posterior Cruciate Ligament) and MCL, which requires being protected when playing sport to avoid injuries or further discomfort. What they do is: when an ACL is torn, they reduce rotation to avoid causing pain in the knees. The size looks quite small, and this is because of the function it performs.
It is an ideal choice to use after having knee surgery and also a type that supports a user suffering from mild or moderate PCL and MCL. Functional braces are basically for support.
Rehabilitative Knee Braces
As the name implies, it is mainly for the rehabilitation of injuries and protection of knees that are susceptible to damage via movement. If you had a knee injury and you got surgery, a rehabilitative knee brace would be the best option for you because it helps in the reconstruction and healing of ligaments around such knee. It also makes sure the user gets a good first move of the knee joint after surgery.
This type of knee brace is mostly found in hospitals for patients. It has several straps put together for support and balance.
Unloader/Off-loader Knee Braces
This knee brace which is mainly for the aged and people suffering from arthritis. The knee brace for arthritis is a protective tool which gives relief to the joints and ligaments of the knees. The type of arthritis known when making use of this knee brace is Osteoarthritis, and it is very effective. It simply takes away the stress on the knee and relaxes on the thigh bone of such leg.
When you do this, the knee is forced to bend in a direction away from the affected part. Unloader and Off-loader Knee braces are very good for people who would be having knee replacement surgery.
They are a more different type of knee braces with respect to design and structure. Although, it can be very good, but it is not an ideal choice for rehabilitative purposes. As a sportsman, you could find this useful because it can be worn in a simple way to protect the knees, particularly the knee cap.
Model of Braces
There are five basic models of knee braces, and they are;
- Hinge Brace
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Brace
- Patellofemoral Brace
- Neoprene Sleeve and
- Knee Immobilizer
All these models above will be described later in the top 10 best knee braces for sale section of this article.
Buying Guide: What you should consider?
Since there is a wide array of choices in the market, it is important you know how to pick the best for yourself. This is only possible if you consider the following guidelines below which will help you narrow down your choice. They include;
Level of support required
There are a lot of causes for which the knee braces can be used such as knee joint pain, inflammation in ligaments and muscles or Osteoporosis medical condition. Each of these need to have different support. The knee braces should be such that it could be adjustable according to our wish so that it can be placed in the affected area correctly.
The first thing anyone who needs a knee brace should do is discover the type of ailment he or she is suffering from. If you aren’t suffering from any, you can go ahead to pick your choice; however, if you have an ailment, ensure it has properly been examined and described by a physician or therapist.
Visit a therapist if you haven’t been to any regard issues concerning your knees and get the right diagnosis and prescription.
This is another factor people look out for when buying this tool. While some offer good protection against injuries as well as good flexibility, some offer temporary protection with average flexibility. You should decide on which to go for with regard to this factor
Also, flexibility aids movement, i.e., the lesser the flexibility, the more difficult it gets moving around. As a buyer, we will advise you to get a knee brace with topnotch flexibility, good quality, and high durability.
There are different prices you will see online, and it could either impress or annoy you; however, go for one with a better cost. Later in this review, you will see how the top braces have been classified on the basis of cost/price into High grade, Mid-grade, and Low-grade.
This shouldn’t be a big issue because you have the opportunity to pick what fits you perfectly. That is why the number of sizes available has bee outlined for a user to choose from. If you are extra-large, you could easily check for braces that offer extra-large sizes from those listed below with consideration to price, features, and qualities.
Similarly, while some would go for a functional knee brace, others will go for prophylactic or knee sleeves. The style that catches your fancy is what you should pick and nothing less. This is because there is an enhancement in the performance of brace if you pick a style that suits well.
In addition to other factors listed above, durability is also important. The product should provide utmost knee support. This is because you will love to enjoy continuous use over a long period of time without having to change or replace parts. The quality of material counts for durability as well.
1. Privfit Men’s and Women’s Compression Knee Cap Brace Sleeve – Our Pick
Privfit Compression is a good unisex knee brace with a smart design and structure to help users feel comfortable while putting it on. It is an effective device used in rehabilitation, recovery, and alleviation of pain such as arthritis, joints, pain, etc. There are many knee-related problems, and getting the right product to solve them helps a lot – quick relief is often guaranteed using Privfit.
Also, the compression exerted by the device is outstanding because you are free to move the knees in whatever direction you choose without complications such as blood clotting. However, it still limits the patella movement even though it is one with great quality. Quite a number of people will choose this product over every other type with regard to price, quality, and features.
In addition, it is comfortable to use, and this means there are no side effects i.e., soreness, itching, redness, etc.; you can rest assured that you are safe and run no risk. In fact, blood circulation improves rapidly when you make use of it during sports activities. Lastly, it is one of the very special models that provide warmth for users and aids muscle recovery faster than many other types sold on the market.
- Mixed elastic fabric material (Spandex and Nylon)
- Smart body design and color
- Flexible Glides
- Graduated compression
- The elastic fabric brings comfort to the skin
- It provides an adequate amount of warmth on the affected area
- Comfortable to wear and easy to carry around
- Enhances good blow flow and performance
- Warms up the muscles fast and better
- Reduces swelling and tiredness
- Protects the knee at all times
- Very affordable
- Great quality and texture
- Available in 4 different sizes
- Durability cannot be vouched for, in this product.
2. OBLIQ Hinged Knee Support Brace – Best for Post Ops
OBLIQ is a hinged model of knee braces with a superb design and high quality; although, it is not too expensive, but it is one of the top-rated ones. The hinges, as mentioned, is made of aluminum which enhances stability and balance, it supports the knee until you feel like you are no more in pains. In short terms, it reduces injury to the lowest minimum and ensures the patient recovers as soon as possible.
Also, the knee brace has a compression material whose sole purpose is to aid ligaments, tendons, muscles that have been affected, alongside ACL and MCL. The body material is made of Neoprene, which is a good one on the skin because it provides warmth, breathable with a simple weight. One look at it (from the image above), it is designed to have an open knee cap which is visible and important for orientation.
Asides that, it has no gears, i.e., the sidearms available are singly articulated by stops which are cushioned, enhancing perfect grip. It is a good alternative during exercises. However, since you will be adjusting and readjusting when necessary, the fasteners or straps have been designed to be very strong, which is above and below the patella opening.
- Breathable Latex-Free Neoprene material
- Compression material
- Lightweight body
- Open patella design
- Strong Fasteners or Straps
- Aluminum hinges
- Dual stabilizers
- No Gears
- Good support for strains sprains during exercises
- Strong aluminum hinges for support and balance
- Perfect choice for injuries pertaining to the joints, ligaments, muscles, etc.
- Fasteners are strong and can withstand the pressure
- Available in different sizes for users
- Durability isn’t as expected
- Although it looks relatively cheap, it is still expensive with regard to its functions and features
3. Healthgenie Adjustable Knee Support – Best Velcro strap
If there is a brand that offers quality when it comes to knee braces, then you should see Healthgenie; it is one of the leading brands out there that produce quality products at affordable prices. For the knee brace, it is very comfortable to put on, and within a few weeks, your knees get healed (if worn for correction or post-ops treatment). It has a design called close patella, which helps to alleviate pain and reduce stress on the joints of the knee as a result of strenuous activities or sport.
It is made of an elastic and washable neoprene (a neoprene model of brace), and it is a good product to use when preventing injuries and reducing pains around the knees; thereby, increasing blood circulation and compressing the knees which protect against further damage. Also, the strength is one-of-a-kind, as it is held by strong sticky Velcro that can be used over time without losing its potency.
Furthermore, it is available in two different sizes, i.e., Thigh and Calf, which are 33 to 55 inches and 35 to 46 inches, respectively. With the aid of this knee brace, free and easy movement is enhanced, and a user can perform daily activities with ease. One good thing is, it can be used by both men and women
- 2 Free sizes, i.e., Thigh and Calf
- Neoprene material
- Strong sticky Velcro
- Closed Patella design
- Skin-friendly texture
- It aids to support and holds well via sticky Velcro straps
- Comfortable and easy to wear
- It is highly durable
- Elastic and can be worn anywhere
- Protects the knees perfectly
- Provides warmth and compresses effectively
- Can be used by both men and women; hence, it is unisex
- Very affordable
- Product is not durable enough.
4. EasyHealth Compression Knee Support – Best Multipurpose
If you are suffering from Osteoporosis medical condition, having pain in your knee joints or inflammation due to ligament injuries, you can rely on EasyHealth Compression Knee Support, Knee Cap, Knee Sleeves Brace for Running, Jogging, Sports, Joint Pain Relief, Arthritis and Injury Recovery for Men and Women (Pair) (Black, Medium) which is a good product available in the market. The light and soft material which is used to make it, adds comfort and ease.
- The Anatomically shaped knee braces help you to prevent injuries and even in case of an injury, you can recover from it fast. Whether you want to use it for training purpose or recovering from an injury, it fulfills the purpose.
- It gives great pain relief from Osteoporosis medical condition. While training, if you develop swelling because of sprain and strain, it gives you maximum support.
- The light and soft material which is used for making this product allow it to be washed and dried easily.
- You will experience no stiffness, no itching, and no hassle or discomfort while wearing it. Thanks to the material which is used to make it.
- It could be used during Cross Training, Weight lifting and any other Gym workout exercises.
- After washing and drying, it will regain its original shape and size, making it durable.
- The lightweight product can be carried with you wherever you want to.
- Users have stated that the product lost elasticity very soon.
5. Global Household Flex Plus Compression Knee Brace – Best for Torn Meniscus
For protection and relief, there is definitely something you will need for your knees, you can opt-in for Global Household Knee Brace; it is the most appropriate thing to use on a torn meniscus. It is a brace for your everyday lifestyle, and you can make use of it during outdoor activities (properly covered). There are so many health-related problems you can use this tool for, you only need a suggestion or guidance of medical personnel.
By virtue of look, it has a professional aesthetic design and it comes at a very lightweight which makes it easy and comfortable to carry around. It acts as a device useful as a reinforced patella stabilizer on ligament issues like ACL, PCL, MCL. In fact, you get a lot of comforts using this brace than any other type in the market today.
Furthermore, this device is available in various sizes with regard to body weight – large, super-large, extra-large, small, medium, extra-small, etc. The brand allows you to choose whichever type you want and they all come at affordable prices. In general, it has a strong and super-grade quality fabric as well as the perfect knitting which is the one of the main factor for holding well (grip) and immobilization of the knee.
- Aesthetic design and smart body
- Varying sizes and color
- 2 Pieces of brace
- Super-grade Fabric material
- Circular knitting structure
- Reinforced patella stabilizer
- A good choice for everyday and outdoor activities
- Comfortable to wear and safe to carry around
- The fabric is breathable and washable in whatever form. It is also antibacterial in function and quality
- Immobilizer with a difference i.e. it heals faster and at the same time protective
- Highly durable with good compression
- Various sizes for different customers to pick from
Maintenance seems too high considering the number of functions it has.
6. Cloud Hut Neoprene Knee Brace – Best for sports
This prophylactic/functional knee brace is one designed solely for strong support as it has good compression. The flexibility is natural; hence it is top notch and you can perform activities such as running, golf, cycling, hiking, etc. easily. It is packed as Neoprene material that rests perfectly well on the skin without effects and provides warmth on affected areas.
It is designed as a knee sleeve which, as said earlier is great for protection during sports and rehabilitation (knee injury and after-surgery). It is comfortable to use and washing is easy as long as you use mild detergents to make it clean, applying little pressure. It, however, requires the guidance of a Medical Doctor before making use of it as its improper use has an adverse effect on the knee.
Any weak or geriatric person will find this brace useful because it has the easiest way of putting it on. Most importantly, it is suitable to use on both knees and it has elastic belts for a firm grip for everyone. Lastly, it is a unisex type of knee brace that can be used by both women and men who play sports.
- Neoprene/Fabric material
- Free size packed
- Special elastic belts
- Constant compression
- An open hole for the knee cap
- Enhances free feet movement
- Can be used for multiple purposes including sports and rehab
- Sleek design with soft Neoprene/fabric material
- Perfect grip/hold
- Good compression on a knee
- Comfortable to wear and wash after use
- It does not support machines wash, dry cleaning, bleaching, tumble drying, and ironing
- Fabric softeners reduce its quality
7. Tdas Adjustable Knee Support Pad Guard Brace Cap Sleeve – Best Elastic Design
One look at this device, you could say it is a support pad guard acting as a knee brace which is particularly used during sports activities. It has a cap sleeve which protects the knee against ligament injuries such as MCL, ACL, etc. as well as for knees that are aching. It is also unisex available in various sizes i.e. small and medium are between 12 to 18 inches, and large are between 18 to 24 inches.
Just as every Neoprene-made brace provides warmth, so does this type which directly helps in the reduction of inflamed muscles, swelling, enhances blood flow and ensures the regeneration of wounds and rehabilitation. Also, it relaxes the muscles in such a way that you don’t have to feel pain for a while when performing activities. The Neoprene material with four elastic design gives your knees strength and support which is very effective for all kinds of injury.
Furthermore, in the models of braces, this knee brace comes as an immobilizer and a hinged stabilizer with topnotch flexibility and support. It is one of the few that you can be certain of its durability and comfortability when you wear it on a daily basis.
- Immobilizer and Hinged model
- Special Velcro belts
- 4 elastic side design
- Complete flexible material
- Open patella opening
- It is comfortable to wear on cold days
- Strong and holds very well via Velcro straps
- Protects the knee from accidents when jogging, running, etc.
- With the aid of its Neoprene, it gives a smooth feel on the skin and reduces irregularities moderately.
- Highly durable, flexible and available in various sizes
- Price looks quite high
- Maintenance is quite high since the design is smart/sleek; hence, handwash with mild detergent
8. Age Care Silicone Anti-Skid Sports Knee Pads– Age Care Silicone Anti-Skid Sports Knee Pads
There is faster recovery and effective correction of many knee injuries such as those gotten during sports, sprain, strain, etc. when you make use of this tool. No matter how little you walk, there is always a force you exert on your knees which may have an adverse effect on consistent application; hence, you need something to keep you fitted and balanced. Asides the product helping in making you walk and climb better, it also allows you to perform activities such as bowling, riding, etc. very easily.
Great information you need to know about the product is that it is has been designed not to roll off or slip on easily and that it provides warmth and support to its users. It has built-in layered perforations which allow air to pass through and reach the knee. On a design outlook, it is slim, sturdy and free which helps in orientation and sensitivity.
The ease with putting it on and off is beyond extraordinary because it is soft and made of high-quality durable material. In general, it allows an athlete or sportsman to lift heavier weights with ease and train perfectly. It is a simple product as long as you put all things required into consideration; however, it is available in different sizes (large size is 10.63 inches).
- Fine, Soft, Breathable material
- Silicone non-slip-on design
- It stays perfectly without rolling off
- Soft material that is gentle on the skin
- Slim and sturdy design for support
- Can be used while playing sports
- High durability
- Retains heat easily and enhances quick recovery
- Unisex i.e. used by both men and women
- Enhanced grip and topnotch quality
- Quite Expensive
9. Elove Hinges Knee Brace – Best Support System
This knee brace is represented by one main feature which is the adjustable three-way support i.e. it uses a Velcro system to hold the brace strongly together on a weak knee. It is supported by a steel spring which enhances movement and natural flexibility when bending or stretching. The outer material is Neoprene which is latex-free – a good choice for latex resistant people and works perfectly on the ligament (minor ones).
Regardless of where you would love to fix the brace, it has an open patella and side stabilizers which works well on ligament problems like MCL, ACL, and PCL. Sometimes, there is a firm compression accompanied by the enhanced grip, stability, and balance. It is very comfortable and improves blood circulation to whoever is going to make use of the product.
There is no much information about the product other than it is made of Neoprene with an open patella design, a Velcro strap which can be used to hold the knee in place. It can be worn for corrective purposes such as post-ops as well as protection during sports; hence, multipurpose in use. Lastly, it is available in different sizes with the medium size being the most popular or sold type on the market.
- Latex-free Neoprene material
- Built-in velcro strap
- Lightweight steel hinges
- Open patella design
- Side stabilizers
- Can be used for several purposes especially in treating arthritis, osteoarthritis, torn meniscus, etc.
- Velcro straps enhance good grip
- Open patella design for orientation
- Super comfortable and easy to wear
- Great support for minor ligaments
- Provides warmth on the skin
- Great quality and durability
- Good choice for people allergies to rubber (latex)
- Very expensive to purchase
- Washing could be quite difficult
10. Dr. Arthritis Patella Tendon Knee Strap – Best for Arthritic Patients
Dr. Arthritis is a known brand for products such as Knee braces which is great for arthritic patients (arthritis and osteoarthritis). This is one of the most expensive knee braces in this review known with its lightweight, small structure and extraordinary features fine texture and easy strap. It also serves various purposes including sports activities and can be used to fix so many minor knee problems, providing maximum comfort alongside.
This is a product developed by medical practitioners/doctors; hence, it is no ordinary brace as it has a Doctor’s manual in its package. It has been designed in the best comfortable way, such that, users don’t get skin irritations or loss in quality when put to use. The durability of the tool is topnotch and no wonder it is highly recommended by therapists after a minor injury
- Doctor’s manual
- Soft durable material
- Small sleek design
- Stability and free movement aided firmness
- Small but with Advanced features for effectiveness
- Smooth when applied on the skin
- Gives maximum comfort and withstands excess pressure
- Relieves knee problems such as arthritis
- Lightweight i.e. easy to carry around
- Very expensive compared to other expensive types
- Maintenance is high.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are often questions as regard knee braces; we have picked the top asked ones and answered them the best possible way. Below are frequently asked questions about knee braces that you should know:
1. Should knee support be tight?
The knee braces should not be kept too tight because it can cause the blood circulation to stop towards the lower leg. This will worse the situations only. It would result in more pain due to pinched nerves. It may also lead to discoloration, swelling, numbness, or tingling in the leg.
2. Do Knee support help knee pain?
Knee supports are designed to be treated against knee joint pain. Along with providing compression to the affected areas, it can help reduce pain.
3. Can you wear knee braces to bed?
One sole purpose of using a knee brace is to correct or protect the knee from damage and this includes applying unnecessary pressure. Although, while sleeping, you are not applying any pressure on the affected part, it is still not compulsory you wear to bed. Depending on the kind of pain, you should avoid doing strenuous activities like running, hiking, climbing, etc. so you can keep the knee safe and the joints in good position/state.
In general, you can still have a free knee while still awake and put them on to bed doesn’t count much ineffectiveness.
4. How do you know when you need a knee brace?
Often times, people who make use of braces are those with severities and it is expected that they must have contacted a therapist before buying one. However, you will need a brace if you are a sportsman for protection and there is a way you put it on which will be different from others. Never choose or buy a knee brace without consulting a Doctor first if you are experiencing pain around your knees to avoid further complications.
5. Do I feel pain running with knee braces?
As mentioned earlier, if you are experiencing severe pain, you shouldn’t run with a knee brace in order to compromise the purpose why it is being used. The point is to make the knee free and running adds pressure to the affected parts which could result in further damage to the ligaments and joints. As a sportsman, the knee brace protects your knee at most times; hence, you could run with it.
6. What are knee braces made of?
They are basically for support during movement, therefore, they need bendable or elastic materials, foam or plastic to aid that. It could also be metal, plastic for straps and it is available in various sizes, designs, colors, and patterns. In essence, a good knee brace has great flexibility, power, topnotch in performance with respect to quality of material and protective in overall function.
7. What type of knee brace do I need?
From the review above, there are 10 braces you could choose from depending on your budget and ailment. There has been a great classification of these braces into their models with regard to the features they possess; therefore, you may choose from a knee immobilizer, hinge brace, ACL brace, Neoprene Sleeve, etc. Also, there are factors to put you through (buying guide points) so you could know why you are picking one over another type on the market.
From above, we can see the best knee braces to get because they have been reviewed and classified based on their functions and features. You should understand that they are the latest products that offer the best of services to users and we have reviewed them in an incredible way. Also, we often advise users to stick to their budget i.e. if you can afford something expensive, ensure you go for it, but if you are on a tight budget, pick the one that suits perfectly and does the job well on you.
In addition to what has been said earlier, there are factors you should consider which has been explained above when making your choice out of many. If there is one more thing you should know, it is the classification of these braces with regard to their prices on the market
Therefore, we will be showing you our pick below from the 3 ranges listed above:
- For Low Range, we picked EasyHealth Compression Knee Support because it comes at a cheap price and has standard functions when compared with others in the same category.
- For Mid-Range, we picked OBLIQ Hinged Knee Support Brace because it looks standard and offers a majority of the benefits you need from a Knee brace.
- For High Range, we picked Cloud Hut Neoprene Adjustable Knee Brace because it has all features, functions in place and design is beyond extraordinary.
In conclusion, pick your choice from any of the range listed above and keep your knees protected at all times against injury and further damage!