Oral Care Tips and Products
No matter what age you are, you MUST take care of your teeth and gums. When you have a healthy mouth, you can eat good foods that are nutritious, smile confidently, and laugh loudly with people as you simply enjoy your life.
Now, a mouth filled with decaying teeth or no teeth makes one have low self-esteem and even the ability to smile is rarely available as you must always try to keep your mouth shut, lest people see what you are harboring inside.
You can avoid all of this embarrassment by simply taking care of your teeth. In this article, we shall be delving deep into what is oral care. We shall look at what you need to do in order to have a healthy mouth, how to take care of your teeth and gums, plus when you need to visit the dentist.
In addition to all that, we have provided you with the different types of Oral Care Products, a comprehensive Buyers Guide and a few Frequently Asked Questions. We shall give you a selection of some of the best oral care products in the market today that will help you achieve all of this.
Let’s get started.
Top 11 Oral Care Products
Gentle on Teeth
Our Top Pick
Best for fighting hidden germs
Our Top Pick
Best electric floss
Best for Braces
The best Product
What is oral care?
According to the WHO – Word health Organization, oral health refers to the ability of not having any chronic pain in your teeth, oral and throat cancer, mouth sores, gum diseases, tooth loss, tooth decay, and any other disorders or diseases that can limit your capacity to smile, chew, bite, speak or being psychologically healthy.
Let us expound on a few of the common problems in details
Your teeth are meant to last you a lifetime. Taking good care of them plus your gums can help you achieve this. Contrary to popular belief Tooth decay is not a problem for children only, it can happen to anyone who doesn’t take good care of their teeth.
It usually ruins the enamel which is used to cover and protect your tooth. When you do not take good care of your teeth, bacteria normally cling to your teeth and they form a sticky and colorless film that is known as dental plaque. This plague is what leads to tooth decay as well as cavities. Gum disease is also a result of tooth decay.
This is also known as periodontal or gingival disease and it is an infection that harms your gums and the bones that hold them. When you have the plague, and it stays on your teed for way too long, it will proceed to form a hard and harmful covering, known as tartar, that cannot be cleaned with regular brushing.
The longer this plague stays on, the more harm it causes. Your gums then start to appear red, swollen and they may bleed at times. This is then known as gingivitis.
If you do not treat gingivitis, it will cause your gums to pull away from your teeth and form some pockets that can easily get infected. This is now known as periodontitis, and if not treated, it can ruin your gums, bones and tissues that support your teeth.
With time, it will cause you to lose your teeth.
Here are some tips for preventing gum disease:
- Ensure to brush your teeth at least twice a day using fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss once a day.
- Make regular visits to the dentist for checkups.
- Do not use any tobacco products.
- When cleaning your teeth, clean your gums as well.
Knowing how to floss and brush your teeth is a big step towards achieving oral health. Ensure to brush your teeth every day on both sides, using fluoride toothpaste and a soft bristle brush, and make small round motions with short back and front strokes for excellent results.
Take your time when brushing, and do it a careful and gently sweep over your gum line plus your tongue as well.
Together with brushing, ensure to clean all around your teeth using dental floss so as to keep your gums healthy. Careful flossing will remove all of the left-over food and plague that the brush may not have managed to remove.
Always remember to rinse after flossing.
In case flossing or brushing your teeth causes your gums to bleed, or your mouth to have pain, then, you need to see your dentist immediately. He will prescribe for you a bacteria-fighting mouth rinse that will help in controlling the plague and swollen gums.
Use this mouth rinse in addition to the brushing and flossing.
How should you floss?
Pull out at least 24 inches of the floss from the dispenser.
Wrap the ends tightly around your middle and index fingers.
Hold it around each tooth using a c shape and then move the floss back and forth in a push and pull motion on each side of the tooth.
What are plaque and tartar?
Plaque is a sticky and colorless film that is filled with bacteria and forms constantly on our teeth along the gum line. This is what causes cavities and gum disease. Sometimes it is known as calculus, and everyone develops it.
Tartar, on the other hand, is a mineral buildup that can easily be seen. It is found above the gumline and it is the yellowish or brownish deposit you find between your teeth. The only way to remove it is by visiting the dentist for a professional cleaning.
These two are normally caused by what we drink and leaving out mouths unbrushed for long periods of time. As a result, the bacterial affects your gums, tissues, and bones leaving you with decaying teeth that require a lot of time to repair.
Here’s how you can prevent this.
- Brush your teeth thoroughly.
- Floss daily.
- Limit your sugar and starch intake.
- Schedule at least 2 dentist visits a year.
There are many different types of sores that can develop around your mouth. Some may be unsightly and extremely painful, and these are a sign of something more serious. If your sores do not go away in 10 days, you will need to consult a doctor. You should also consult a dentist if you think you have an infection.
The most common sores are:
Candidiasis – This is also known as thrush, and it is a fungal infection that mostly occurs in your throat or mouth as a result of an overgrown yeast. The symptoms here include; white spots in your mouth and throat and you will have difficulty breathing.
Canker sores: These are small, yellow and white lesions that develop in your mouth or tongue. You can also find them in the lips, gums and lip area as well. They are not contagious, but they are painful.
Cold sores: These appear like clusters of red blisters around the lips, but you can find them in your nose and the chin as well. These are contagious.
Tooth abscess: These occur due to a bacterial infection in the nerve of your tooth. The symptoms include; a painful tooth, sensitivity to hot and cold beverages and also swollen lymph nodes.
There are people who constantly suffer from bad breath, and even brushing their teeth does not help. This condition is known as halitosis. It is normally caused by poor oral hygiene techniques, unhealthy habits such as smoking, and also the foods that you take.
Understanding the cause for your bad breath can be tricky without the help of a professional, so ensure to visit the dental clinic for assistance and control.
Other dental conditions and occurrences that may require assistance:
This is an extremely common condition that affects almost 40 million children. It is basically teeth grinding or teeth clenching.
The symptoms will include the following;
- Rhythmic contractions of your jaws.
- Grinding sound mostly at night.
- Tight and painful jaw muscles.
- Clicking and popping of the temporomandibular joint.
- Pain in the face that is long-lasting.
- Broken and damaged teeth plus injured gums.
- Swelling on the lower side of your jaw.
What causes this condition?
- Stress, anger, frustration, and anxiety.
- A malocclusion or a situation where your teeth do not line up properly.
- A symptom of a rare disease of your face or nerves.
- A side effect of medication – this is rare.
- Parkinson’s or Huntington’s disease.
This is also known as xerostomia, and it is a condition whereby the salivary glands do not work properly. It can make it hard for you to swallow food, taste and speak. It can also add the risk of having tooth decay and other kinds of infections in your mouth.
You can get this condition as a result of many diseases and medical treatments e.g., head and neck therapy.
If you suspect to have dry mouth, you need to consult your doctor, to find out if it is a side effect of the medication he prescribed, or something entirely different.
To prevent this condition, drink plenty of water, avoid sugar, alcohol, and caffeine.
This normally occurs to people over 40. It is important to catch it early because treatment will only work if the disease has not spread.
An annual dental check-up would be a great time to check up on this because your dentist can be able to identify the early signs of the disease. Your dentist will look for numbness, swelling, and soreness of the lumps in your mouth.
To lower the risk of this disease; Do not smoke, do not inhale or snuff or chew tobacco, and if you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. Use lip cream when outdoors and eats plenty of fruits and vegetables.
How often should you have a dental exam?
For most people, visiting the dentist is very scary, and they fear everything about it, so they tend not to go. This only hurts their teeth and leads to serious complications.
Regardless of how well you take care of your teeth and gums at home, you must still see a dentist regularly. A dentist is able to look for problems you may not see or feel, and most of the dental problems are not visible until they cause pain or when they are at an advanced stage.
These problems include; cavities, oral cancer, and gum disease.
Regular visits will detect these early enough, and a course of treatment will be started to help manage or eliminate the problem completely.
On average, you are supposed to see the dentist at least twice a year for normal people but, some do get away with lesser visits. The following groups of people, however, need to visit the dentist every three or four months;
- Pregnant women.
- People who have gum disease.
- People with constant cavities.
- People with a weak immune system or a bacterial infection.
What do you expect during a dental visit?
If you are going for the first time, the dentist will need to take a full dental history, and probably perform the following procedures;
A thorough cleaning – The dentist or dental hygienist will scrape below and along with the gum line in order to remove any built-up tartar and plague. These are what causes gum disease, bad breath, cavities, and other dental problems.
A full dental exam – He will perform a thorough and intense examination of your mouth, teeth, and gums in order to look for signs of diseases and other problems.
X-rays – He may take x-rays to diagnose problems that may otherwise go unnoticed. This will include damaged jawbones. Cysts, tumors, tooth decay, among others.
What else can you get at the dentist?
This is a removable replacement of missing teeth. In case you have lost a tooth in the past; the dentist is able to create a false/fake tooth to replace the one that you lost.
Now, dentures may make your mouth less sensitive to hot and cold drinks, and they may also make it hard for you to notice any hard or harmful objects in your mouth as you may not feel them at first. Over time, you will need to go back to the dentist for them to be adjusted or replaced.
Keep your dentures clean at all times and free from food particles, as this may cause them to stain. Once a day, use a denture care product to brush all the surfaces. When sleeping, take them out and put in water or in a denture cleansing liquid.
These are small pieces of metal that are normally placed in between your jaws in order to hold the false teeth or the partial dentures in place. They are not for everyone, and you may need to first have a complete dental checkup in order to determine if they are right for you.
Talk to your dentist about this during your regular visits.
Flossing and brushing tips
When it comes to brushing your teeth the right way, it is a whole family affair, because you may have been brushing your teeth for years, and still be doing it the wrong way.
Are you aware that for you to properly brush your teeth and gums it should take at least 2 minutes? Most people don’t even come close.
The following four steps should be followed to have healthy teeth and gums;
- Ensure to brush your teeth at least two times per day using a toothpaste that contains fluoride.
- Floss every day just before bedtime.
- Limit the snack intake.
- Visit the dentist every six months for a complete oral exam.
How should you brush your teeth?
- The first thing you should do is place your toothbrush at a 45degree angle along your gum line and then move it back and forth on each tooth.
- Brush the inside of each tooth using the same technique.
- Brush the chewing surface or top of each tooth.
- Use the tip of the toothbrush to thoroughly brush behind the teeth both front and back.
- Don’t forget to brush the tongue in order to remove the bacteria that cause bad odor.
Types of Oral care products
These are oral hygiene products that you use to clean your teeth, gums, and tongue. They consist of a head that is clustered with bristles where toothpaste is applied. The handle facilitates an easier time while brushing your teeth.
There are very many different types of toothbrushes, but dentists recommend a soft-bristled brush because hard brushes can damage your enamel and even irritate your gums.
Other than that, a toothbrush can also be used as a cleaning tool, and this is very common with the military because it has small strands that will allow you to clean small spaces easily.
Though not a conventional tool, you can also use the old toothbrushes in your home to clean where big brooms can’t reach easily.
This is also known as a mouth rinse, and it is a liquid that you hold in your mouth and gargle for a few minutes in order to help get rid of bacteria and other mouth related problems.
They are usually antiseptic solutions whose main intention is to reduce the microbial load and oral cavities. You can also use them for other reasons such as anti-fungal, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory.
In addition, they can also act as saliva substitutes and help to neutralize the acidity and keep your mouth moist, plus reduce bad breath.
This is a gel-like product that is used together with your toothbrush in order to maintain the health and aesthetics of your teeth. It is an abrasive that is used to effectively reduce or remove dental plaque, food substances from your teeth and helps to prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
Dentists advise that you must brush your teeth at least twice every day with a toothpaste that contains the powerful ingredient – fluoride because this helps in not only cleaning your teeth but also forming dental enamel and strong bones.
Teeth whitening products:
This is also known as teeth bleaching, and it is the restoration of your teeth to the original shade, or trying to whiten them beyond that. This is normally possible because it is simply the removal of the surface stains that are caused by factors such as drinking coffee, tobacco, red wine, etc.
The buildup o tartar and calculus also contribute to the staining of teeth.
You can achieve this by either having your teeth cleaned by a dental professional or by the use of various teeth whitening products that are available in the market.
These are available in many different forms such as chewable tablets, gum, sprays, etc., and their primary function is to help you achieve a fresh breath in a matter of seconds.
For most people, they will use a breath freshener after having a meal, and they must go back to work, and they probably do not have time to brush their teeth. They also come in handy when you just want to have fresh breath all day long.
This is a soft thread that is very similar to the material, and it is used to clean in-between your teeth.
It helps to remove all food pieces and dental plague that the toothbrush was unable to remove. The buildup of plaque in between your teeth is one of the primary causes of dental diseases.
It is widely believed that dental floss has a high effect on the removal of plague and even the American Dental Association reports that the use of floss can reduce up to 80% of plaque.
These are used to remove any extra particles of food and other substances from the top of your tongue, and especially those that cause bad breath.
This device can also remove bacteria, toxins, fungi and other dead cells from the tongue surface.
When we are asleep, our digestive system is always working, and what it does is to remove toxins from the body and deposit them on the tongue. If you do not remove them, they will later be re-absorbed into the body, which can lead to digestive problems.
Buyers Guide for Oral Care
When looking for a good toothbrush, there are a few factors you must consider in order to buy the best and the most effective in cleaning your teeth. Remember that this is an exercise you shall be doing at least twice a day, so you need the best product.
A few factors you should consider includes;
Ensure to buy a brush that comes with soft bristles as these are the most recommended by dentists. Hard bristles may seem like the obvious choice especially if your teeth seem to be discolored but, these will, in fact, hurt your teeth and gums.
An ergonomic handle, one that easily fits into your hand and is also non-slip is most ideal for a toothbrush. Remember you shall be brushing your teeth at least twice a day for 2 minutes each time, so you need something comfortable and easy to hold.
Powered or manual
Powered toothbrushes are actually more fun, and they tend to remove more plague compared to manual brushes. They do however, tend to be more expensive, so you need to choose the one you like at your budget. Powered toothbrushes run on the motor and usually comes with rechargeable batteries.
When it comes to mouthwash, you need to be careful because the best mouthwashes are very well known. Others may not be as effective as known brands. Here are a few factors you must consider when buying a mouthwash;
As stated above, you need to look for the good brands, which are; Oral B and Listerine. These dominate the market. It doesn’t mean that they are the only good ones, but there is a reason why they are the most famous.
The beauty of a good brand is that they have access to the best and latest technology, which means that you will receive the best when it comes to your oral hygiene.
They are normally composed of different ingredients depending on what you are looking for. Pay close attention to this, so you can get the one that is best suited to your oral problem.
- Antiseptic mouthwash is best suited for getting rid of bacterial growth and people with mouth infections.
- Cosmetic is not as powerful as the rest, but it is perfect for people with bad breath, and it helps to eradicate that problem completely.
- Fluoride will strengthen your teeth and also prevent tooth decay.
- Magic or therapeutic – these are normally prescribed by dentists to treat ulcers and other forms of mouth-related conditions.
- Total care – these contain anti-bacterial properties that will help reduce plaque and gum disease.
- Antimicrobial mouthwash – this is one of the most powerful ingredients in mouthwash, and it helps kill the bacteria that cause gum diseases like gingivitis.
You can always trust reviews. Take time to look at what customers are saying about the specific mouthwash, so you can always know what to expect.
For mouthwash to be effective, it must be used regularly, and therefore, you must consider the cost of such an investment. Remember that your health is more important, and it is always advisable to invest in it.
With such a wide selection in the market, choosing the best toothpaste can be a daunting task. Here are some of the factors you should consider;
This is a must ingredient in your toothpaste if you want it to work. Fluoride helps in fighting bacteria that cause gum disease, and it also helps to strengthen your teeth while getting rid of the plague.
For your children, buy a toothpaste that contains fluoride and also has an appealing taste.
While for adults, there is a wide variety of options which we shall look at below, but ensure whichever one you choose, it has fluoride.
If you want a toothbrush that fights cavities, you must look at the ingredients listed on the packaging. One of them must, of course, be fluoride if you want the toothpaste to achieve this function. It is usually very easy to find the right one as it is clearly written.
Teeth whitening toothpaste
Some toothpaste does come with dual functions of cleaning your teeth as well as whitening them. The work that this toothpaste will do however, is to clean your teeth thoroughly and get rid of the dirt on the surface of your teeth. Do not expect it to work as well as other products that have been specifically designed to whiten teeth.
This will protect your teeth from bacteria that cause gingivitis. If you happen to have a problem with this condition, then choose a toothpaste that contains triclosan as the main ingredient.
If you have sensitive teeth, such that you cannot be able to take cold and hot drinks easily, then you must consider a toothpaste designed for such conditions such as Sensodyne. This is the most recommended toothpaste by dentists when it comes to sensitive teeth.
Teeth whitening products
When it comes to teeth whitening products, many will promise to do wonders on your teeth, but in most cases, they always fall short. The most important factor to consider when it comes to teeth whitening is reviews. Look at the customer reviews and find out from friends and family if they have used the product and whether or not it was effective, otherwise, you may end up wasting your money.
1. Oral B CrossAction Power Toothbrush – Top Pick
This toothbrush is one of a kind and makes use of the most revolutionary techniques in toothbrushes today. It is battery powered and makes use of a rotating head that ensures your teeth cleaning exercise is power-packed.
You should also take comfort in the fact that Oral-B is one of the most recommended toothbrushes by dentists, and in most cases, if you seem to have dental problems, you are advised to buy one of these brushes. In addition, they are a world leader and an oral-b toothbrush will always do a great job.
- Battery powered – This makes it so easy to use because all you need to do is power it on and place it in your mouth. It will definitely go everywhere it is supposed to go and do the most thorough cleaning you have ever experienced.
- Rotating power head – The rotating head is able to whisk and loosen any plague from your gumline, surfaces and even back of the teeth, and this ensures that you do not get cavities or even tooth decay.
- Crisscross bristles – the crisscrossing bristles is a great new technique that will ensure to reach in between the teeth, lift the plague and sweep it out. This helps to protect the teeth gaps from experiencing and tooth decay whatsoever.
- Soft and rounded bristles – The ends of the bristles are soft and rounded, which ensures an extra level of gentleness and softness on your gums and teeth. This will not harm or hurt your gums in any way.
- Blue indicator bristles – these give you the perfect indication of when to replace the bristles. The beauty of the brush is that you can be able to replace the head only, no need to buy a whole new toothbrush, and when you buy a new one, it comes with an extra head to save you the trouble.
- Helps you keep your mouth fresh at all times – according to dentists, replacing your toothbrush every 3 months helps to remove 30% more plague. With this brush, you will always be on point as it will alert you on when this needs to be done.
- Has a rotating head which makes your work easier.
- Comes with soft brushes for a gentle clean.
- Has crisscrossing bristles for added care.
- Gives you an alert for changing the brush.
- Recommended by dentists.
- The world’s no.1 brand.
- The cost is a bit high compared to the Colgate toothbrush,
- You cannot change to a different brush, because the heads must be replaced.
2. Colgate Sensitive Soft Bristles Toothbrush – Gentle on teeth
You can never go wrong with Colgate, and this incredible toothbrush comes in a pack of 4.Remember that you should change your toothbrush every 3 months, and therefore this whole park can serve you all year long.
- The bristles are soft and curved which makes brushing your teeth a breeze. They will also not harm your gums, plus the curviness ensures your clean gently all around your mouth including in and out of the teeth, at the back and the tongue too.
- Compact head size – The head is a bit smaller compared to other types of brushes and this is just perfect for ensuring your reach the corners of your mouth without any difficulties.
- Gentleness cleaning – the softness of the brushes gives you the ability to clean your teeth gently. Remember hard brushes would make you harm your gums and lead to bleeding, so this is a great feature.
- Recommended by dentists – Most dentists recommend this toothbrush because it is made following all the standards and regulations of toothbrushes. In India, it is the no.1 recommended toothbrush and has excellent reviews as well.
- For sensitive gums, it will work great and not cause any additional harm to your gums because the bristles are sensitive and silky soft, perfect for teeth related issues.
- Made of soft bristles perfect for all types of teeth.
- Comes in a compact size.
- It is gentle on your mouth.
- Perfect for people with teeth related disorders.
- The price is reasonable.
- Not perfect for teeth with big gaps.
- Too soft for extremely dirty teeth.
3. Listerine Cool Mint Mouthwash – Best product
What this mouthwash will do is give you 24 hours protection from bad breath, gum problems, and plague. Using a mouth wash after brushing your teeth is highly recommended, as it ensures that any dirt you may have left after cleaning is completely eradicated.
- Cool mint – it is ideal for use in the morning and at night before you go to bed to ensure that you have fresh breath at all times.
- It is made up of 4 essential oils – these are thymol, eucalyptus, menthol, and oil of wintergreen. These powerful ingredients help to deeply penetrate your teeth and get rid of all plague and bacteria, leaving your teeth germ free at all times. It is highly recommended for daily use.
- Perfect for people with gum problems – if you have gum related problems that are making your mouth bleed or ache, this mouth wash will help with the problem and leave your mouth feeling much better.
- Power acting – it is very powerful and must be used undiluted for excellent results. It works perfectly if you ensure to rinse your mouth thoroughly with it after brushing and waiting at least 30 minutes before eating or drinking anything.
- Helps to get rid of bacteria.
- Helps to get rid of the plague that leads to tooth decay.
- It is extremely powerful.
- Ensures you have a fresh breath always.
- The taste is quite strong and intense.
- You cannot eat or drink immediately after use.
4. Sensodyne Sensitive Toothpaste – Our Top Pick
If you happen to have sensitive teeth that make it hard for you to enjoy life, then your dentist will most probably recommend this toothpaste to help you. It is especially recommended for people with painful gums and those that have high sensitivity when it comes to hot and cold beverages.
- Clinically proven – this toothpaste has been tried and tested and proven clinically that it can indeed help to protect against sensitive teeth, and almost all dentists highly recommend it. If you suffer from tooth sensitivity, you can never go wrong with this toothpaste.
- It will do an actual repair – this toothpaste will actually do a repair on your teeth. This means that it has the ability to penetrate deep into your teeth and get rid of any substances that are causing your teeth to be extra painful or sensitive.
- Novamin technology – It makes use of this highly advanced technology in order to form a tooth-like layer over your sensitive teeth, and this is how it solves your sensitivity problems.
- Contains fluoride – this is the recommended formula in toothpaste that is able to help protect you from cavities if used on a daily basis. Any toothpaste you choose to use must always contain fluoride otherwise it will not help you at all.
- Protects your teeth – not only will the toothpaste repair your sensitive teeth, if you use this product continuously for a couple of years, but it will also offer you all of the protection you need to have clean and cavity-free teeth.
- Strengthens teeth – this toothpaste should be used twice daily, and as a result, you will end up with extra strong teeth that can be able to handle any problems.
- Helps with sensitive teeth.
- Strengthens your teeth.
- Protects your teeth from tooth decay.
- Recommend by dentists.
- The taste is quite strong.
- Not suitable for children under 12 years of age (Doctors consult is needed)
5. BiBamboo Adult Bamboo Toothbrush – Environmental Friendly
The BiBamboo toothbrush is probably the best option to go for. It is a natural product made using bio-degradable anti-bacterial bamboo. The handle is ergonomically designed, making it easy to use.
The bristles of the brush are 100% BPA free for safe use. Moreover, the extra soft bristles protect your gums from bleeding or scratching. Hence, it is the best choice for sensitive gums.
- Comes with 100% BPA free soft bristles.
- The handle of the brush is made using natural anti-bacterial bio-degradable bamboo.
- Has natural ergonomics.
- Ensures the perfect oral hygiene experience.
- The ergonomic design makes it easy to use.
- Environment-friendly and safe to dispose of.
- Soft bristles make it suitable and safe for sensitive gums.
- No negative points were seen so far.
6. Colgate Active Salt Toothpaste – Best for fighting hidden germs
Salt is extremely well-known for its oral care, and this oral toothpaste from Colgate makes use of active salts in order to kill germs and make your gums and teeth stronger and extremely healthy. The key ingredient in this toothpaste is that it makes it unique and highly recommended.
- The salt will work in a gently abrasive method that will help to remove stains and other types of plaque from your teeth.
- It also helps to stimulate saliva in your mouth, and the saliva normally contains minerals that can be used to strengthen your enamel.
- The increased flow of saliva will also help in protecting the teeth against bacteria and acidity.
- Salt also reduces any inflammation or swelling in your gums, which helps to reduce gingivitis symptoms.
- It also has a refreshing flavor that will leave your breath extra fresh and minty.
- Will strengthen your gums.
- Will help get rid of tooth decay.
- Leaves you with a fresh breath.
- It is 100% vegan and perfect for those that are environmentally conscious.
- Gets rid of bacteria.
- This toothpaste will deal with almost all of the common teeth related problems that may be plaguing you.
- Does not contain fluoride.
- It is a little expensive.
Dental Floss Products:
7. BFresh Flossers 3 in 1 Mint Flavored Dental Floss Picks – Our Top Pick
This comes in a pack of 50 pieces and a tongue cleaner to ensure your mouth is fresh and healthy at all times. It is a toothpick cum tongue cleaner cum floss. It removes plaque that may not have been removed with the toothbrush, and in addition, it helps to promote healthy gums.
- If you suffer from dental cavities, using dental floss each day will go a long way in eradicating this problem.
- This floss is very soft, works efficiently and does not irritate the gums. When looking for a high-quality dental floss, the protection of your gums should be your number one priority.
- It is safe to use on a daily basis because it is cruelty-free, which means that it is not made of products that can harm you.
- Comes in a pack of 50 that can last you a long time.
- The package also includes a tongue cleaner and toothpicks.
- It is safe to use
- Does not irritate the gums
- Gets rid of all plague.
- It has a short shelf life.
8. Dr. Trust (USA) Professional Dental Floss – Best electric floss
This product looks more like a fire drill than an electric floss, but this is just one of the reasons that this product is unique. Dr. Trust new professional electric flosser is extremely powerful and has the ability to deal with all sorts of dental plaque and bacteria that may be troubling you. It uses a machine water jet technology to accomplish its tasks.
- 3 Operational modes – it has 3 pressure modes and an LED indicator. These are; normal, soft and pulse. You can be able to choose the one you want in order to get rid of debris and other food particles from your teeth.
- Powerful operation and quiet – It doesn’t emit a lot of noise, and in addition, it is very powerful in its operations. It exerts 0.6mm of a powerful water stream.
- 4 nozzles and 360 degrees of rotation – it is made of powerful ABS material and 360-degree rotating nozzles. These ensure they reach every area of your mouth.
- Water storage– since it makes use of water, water storage is important. This electric floss can hold 150 ml of water at any one time.
- Extremely Easy to use.
- It is Rechargeable and wireless and extremely convenient as you can use it both whiles plugged in or wireless.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Excellent and powerful operation.
- It is Quiet.
- High-quality material.
- It is very expensive.
9. ORACURA Smart Water Flosser OC001 – Best for Braces
This may probably be the most expensive flossing machine, but it comes with a whole lot of features that are quite technologically advanced. It comes with many accessories and is very useful for those with braces
- 0.6mm of water flow that helps to remove bacteria that are deep below the gum line and also between your teeth.
- Stimulation of your gums to improve the blood circulation and reduce the occurrence of gingivitis.
- Has many nozzles which means all family members can be able to use it.
- Has a 360-degree mode to reach all areas of your mouth.
- It is rechargeable and highly portable.
- Lightweight. It is not so heavy, so you can be able to carry it along wherever you go.
- Excellent design: It is very beautiful
- It will improve your overall oral hygiene.
- It will help you have healthy gums.
- It is very effective in plaque removal.
- It is perfect for orthodontic braces.
- It is very expensive.
Teeth whitening product
10. Trycone Coconut Shell Activated Charcoal Instant Teeth Whitening Powder – The best Product
Tyrone is a brand that deals with charcoal products and it’s very active in innovating its formulas in order to offer excellent care for your teeth. It is a branch of professional touch company that has been around for a while, which means that they know what they are doing when it comes to teeth whitening products. This means that you can trust them completely.
- Products – it is made of high-quality products made of coconut shells. It also has an activated charcoal powder that is the best and finest in food grades plus, it’s all natural and it will give you the best results when it comes to your teeth.
- Visible results – when used twice daily, this powerful and yet gently powder will have people commenting on how white your teeth are because it does not disappoint. Use it for the length of time you require to achieve the perfect whiteness you are looking for.
- Removes stains: This coconut powder is an oxidized version of the charcoal you know, and that is why it is able to effectively whiten teeth. Now, in addition to that, it will work on the external stains on your teeth, with its non-toxic ingredients to ensure your teeth are extra white at all times.
- Fresh and healthy – It is a powerful deodorizer that will ensure you have a clean and fresh breath daily. It also eliminates the bacteria that causes bad odor from your teeth and ensures you are always minty fresh as you go about your business.
- In addition to all that, it will maintain a pH balance in your mouth that ensures cavities and tooth decays do not form at all.
- Gum strengthening – After using it for a while, you will notice that it will start to strengthen your gums from the roots and also prevents any infections and diseases. This is because it helps in the halitosis treatment and helps to prevent bleeding gums and many other oral diseases.
- Detoxify – it also a detoxification agent that you can comfortably use with your favorite drinks or water.
It is very easy to use, here’s the procedure:
- First, you will need a soft bristled brush.
- Next, dampen the brush with water, and dip it in the powder.
- Brush your teeth using the brush gently until you cover all areas.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Use it once or twice daily for excellent results.
- Made of natural and non-toxic ingredients.
- Helps to make your teeth extra white.
- It is very easy to use.
- Helps to strengthen your gums
- Helps to get rid of tooth decay and other bacteria.
- Doesn’t have an after taste
- The cost is high.
- It may need you to use it a couple of times for excellent results.
11. KwikMint Mouth Freshener – Best Product
If you are in a hurry to get your fresh breath, then these minty fresh mouth fresheners should be your go-to fix. They are made of natural ingredients that will be sure to make you fresh and minty in a few seconds.
The packaging contains 66 strips that you can use over a period of time each and every day to offer you the comfort of knowing your breath smells great. A fresh breath always adds another level of confidence to your days.
- This product is designed specifically to address the problems faced by smokers.It will ensure that the smell of smoke is completely eradicated from your mouth and you smell great.
- Clears the throat – it also has some healing qualities that will help clear your throat if you have a throat related problem and it will also relieve the stress of thinking that you smell bad.
- The mint strips normally dissolve in your mouth instantly and give a blast of menthol and peppermint which are the most common ingredients in facilitating a fresh breath.
- The process of using the strips if very easy, all you need to do is place the strip on your tongue and enjoy the blast of freshness that you shall start to experience.
- The product promises long-lasting fresh breath.
- Made of natural ingredients.
- Gives you fresh breath for longer.
- Easy to use.
- Quick acting.
- Perfect for smokers.
- Reasonably priced.
- The taste is a bit strong.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How often should I visit the dentist?
The recommended dentist visits are twice a year, but for some specific class of people, such as smokers, people with oral diseases and pregnant mothers, they are advised to visit the dentist at least every 3-4 months for extra attention.
2. If I use teeth whitening products, will the effects become permanent?
The teeth whitening kits will certainly help to make your teeth appear whiter by getting rid of all the dirt on the surface of your teeth, but there isn’t any procedure, including the one you get at the dentist’s office that offers a permanent solution. You must keep doing it often every time you want your teeth white.
3. What is root canal?
This is a treatment that is normally prescribed in cases where the nerve in the tooth has been affected, either by tooth decay, fracture or even trauma. It is the process of removing the damaged or diseased nerve, and also cleaning and reshaping the root canal.
It is done under anesthesia; hence it is painless, and the best solution to removing a tooth.
4. What can I do to get rid of bad breath?
Bad breath is also known as halitosis, and it is normally caused by poor oral hygiene techniques, unhealthy habits such as smoking, and also the foods that you take. It is, however, a problem that can be corrected if you improve your grooming techniques.
Make sure you brush your teeth at least twice a day, use mouthwash, use a tongue scraper, and also mouth fresheners. You should also ensure to visit your dentist often so he can prescribe a solution to this problem.
5. Is mouth wash necessary and must I use it?
Mouth wash is necessary if you want to ensure that your mouth is always clean and free from a plaque that causes dental decay. It may not be a must that you use it every day, but it is recommended for complete dental hygiene.
6. Is sugarless gum really healthy?
Chewing sugarless gum is definitely better than chewing the normal kind that is filled with artificial sugars. What happens when you chew the gum is that it stimulates saliva which works like your natural mouthwash and dissolves any volatile Sulphur molecules that cause bad breath.
Taking good care of your teeth will ensure that you have them for the duration of your lifetime. Remember that prevention is always better than cure. Visiting your dentist at the recommended number of times a year will make it easy to diagnose and treat problems before they become unmanageable.
A dentist is always able to offer the best advice regarding teeth care and he will also help fix your problems when they are still in the initial stages.
Also, ensure to change your toothbrush every 3 months, brush your teeth at least twice each day and do not forget to floss every day. This will ensure your teeth are always healthy and fresh. Plus, it will help prevent the occurrence of cavities.