Office Stationery Review
Any office cannot efficiently perform its duties without one critical aspect; office stationery. These are the tools which essentially help you to transform all those great ideas and plans into tangible form. Choosing the right office stationery may sound like a simple easy-picking exercise in a stationery shop, but this is far from the reality when you are faced with the diversity which can make a good collection hard to achieve.
Even basic tools such as pins, staplers, pens can easily surprise you with different types and features which you need to be aware of in order to walk out of the shop with the best choices. This guide is all about complimenting your serious efforts towards building a well-stocked office by providing all the information you need on key office stationery.
The guide contains two main sections. The first section will discuss the key components of office stationery set, mainly focusing on their uses, types and other relevant details and buyers guide The second section will look at some of the leading examples on the market from each category of stationery equipment.
Top 12 Office Stationary Products
Best ballpoint pen
Best print paper
Our best pick on adhesives
Best pick on pins
Amazing paper weight
Best Guillotine paper cutter
Best Portable trimmer
Best multipurpose office tool
Best Office Stapler Machine
Best professional diary
KEY OFFICE STATIONERY LIST OF ITEMS
Staplers are an indispensable desktop tool which comes in handy when it comes to keeping related papers secured together. They are designed differently depending on the type and volume of papers they are meant to be used on. Three main categories exist based on these designs and these are: full, half and ministrip staplers. As expressed above, each type is appropriate for a particular quantity and type of papers.
Full strip staplers have the highest capacity as they can easily handle up to 50 sheets of 80gsm sized papers. Half strip staplers represent the midrange capacity as they can handle up to 30 sheets. Ministrip represent the lowest capacity, with its maximum volume limited to 18 sheets.
Staplers go together with pins which also exist in different sizes depending on the size of the stapler.
Staple removers solve the formerly complex problem of removing staple pins from a bundled stack of papers. Before its invention, people used to employ other crude methods like using a scissor, which were not only clumsy on the papers, but also dangerous as they often led to injuries. Like stapler machines, removers occur in different sizes and capacities which correspond to the wide variety of pins.
Paper cutters encompass all the tools used to make specific neat cuts or shapes out of papers for different purposes. They assist you in keeping things neat and professional while saving your limited time. There are three main classes of cutters and these are: Trimmers, Scissors and Guillotines.
Scissors have a lasting legacy as another indispensable tool when it comes to effective office paper management. In terms of office settings, two principle types exist, namely: straight and curved blade scissors. As indicated by the names, the former features prominent straight blades whereas the later incorporates curved blades.
Guillotines can be used on a wide range of papers, and they are particularly highly effective when you are looking to cut large quantities. A defining feature is a long blade which you can push down while holding a handle at one end. This enables you to execute the cut in a quick downward shearing motion.
For a clean cut, the machine comes with a clamp which assists with securing the paper in a proper position. Papers are not the only item that the Guillotine can handle, as it can also be used to cut thicker materials such as cardboards.
Trimmers and Guillotines
Unlike Guillotines, trimmers are appropriate for lower volumes of paper. They utilise a special rotary blade secured to a rail in such a way that it manoeuvres from one side of the paper to another while executing the cut with sheer precision. Their superior precision makes them a great option for other items such as photos, business cards, and brochures. An additional advantage over Guillotines is that they are generally safer and less involving as they eliminate the thrusting associated with Guillotines.
When it comes to office, Glues take the lead as a major adhesive used for a range of purposes. A variety of glues can be used on different items such as papers, envelopes, glass, cardboards etcetera. Glues can be generic or specially adapted to work with specific surfaces. Popular types of glue include glue sticks, glue guns, rollers, and glue sprays.
These are one of the most effective and easy to apply, leading to their unparalleled popularity. They employ a twist or pull mechanism which allows you to apply the glue without any contact. They are usually washable, solvent free, acid-free, non-toxic, and dyed. They also exist in a variety of sizes ranging from 11mm upwards.
Glue rollers provide a clever solution for accurately applying Glue from various sources such as the glue stick. They also occur in a variety of sizes to cater for a wide range of paper sizes.
Glue guns typically use a special type of glue known as hot glue, which has remarkable strength and applicability as it has the capacity to adhere to a wide range of surfaces. The hot glue is available as cylindrical plastic sticks which are melted by the gun before being fired through the nozzle to the intended surface. As expected, Glue guns also come in different sizes, with 12mm as the most common.
Unlike thermoplastics and semisolid adhesives offered by glue sticks, glue sprays provide a liquid adhesive normally available in cans with varying volumes. Typical sizes fall within 150-400 ml. The strength varies with different solutions but most of them work wonders with a range of office needs including art portfolios and some permanent or long term posters or other work related posts.
Paper clips provide a simple and yet utterly effective tool in management of a variety of office documents. Related paper or documents can easily be clipped together for classification or identification purposes and other more creative use cases. They also occur in different shapes and sizes as we will consider below.
Basic Paper Clip
These are evidently the most popular and are mainly employed for temporary clipping of basic papers and other related documents. They are generally cheap and are produced in a variety of colors. The main advantages of basic clips are that they are easy to apply or remove, and can be reused.
Fold Back Clip
These present another common clipping tool in office settings especially when there are high quantities of paper involved. They feature a strong metal fold which can be adjusted to accommodate the thickness of the paper bundle. Fold back clips are also available in different sizes with 19mm as the commonest available size which can hold up to 250 papers at once.
Though widely regarded as not much of a big deal, a pen is a surprisingly interesting device which occurs in different types which are well-tailored to a variety of writing needs. There are some critical aspects connected to each type such as point size, ink type and available colours.
These often make the difference between a comfortable writing experience, and an inconvenience that adds on to the stress of the work you are trying to complete. Choosing the best pen for your needs starts with knowing the different types and the uniqueness they bring on the table. Therefore, let’s tread forth and discover some of the types of pens you are likely to encounter on the market.
This is perhaps the most famous type of pen across the globe. Key unique features are the ball roller mechanism and the oil based ink it utilizes to achieve a fast drying ink on the paper. This frees the pen from smudging, which is prevalent in most of the other types. Another critical advantage this pen furnishes is that it has considerable ink efficiency when compared with most types in the sense that the thicker ink allows for lesser ink per unit area.
Though this is a considerable advantage, it also comes with a risk of clumping as thicker ink is more likely to clump, especially in long writing sessions. This makes them somewhat less ideal for prolonged writing periods, but if all you want to have is a simple device for regular use, it does offer an efficient and dependable option.
This type of pen is based on a similar mechanism to ballpoint pens except that it replaces the oil-based ink with water-based ink. The advantage that the water-based ink offers is that it is less vicious, which makes it to have a faster flow rate and an enhanced ability to dissolve in paper. The enhanced flow rate eliminates the need for more pressure when writing thus creating a smooth and relaxed writing process.
Furthermore, the fine texture of the output ink makes them ideal for text which requires the use of fine lines. The water-soluble nature of the ink also allows for a wider variety of colors as it is easier to achieve a wider spectrum in water than in oil. Compared to the previous type, they are better adapted for prolonged periods of writing. On the downside, they need more ink per unit area which means they tend to run out of ink faster.
These have a bit of both Rollerball and Ballpoint pens. The ink is predominantly water-based though its texture is somehow in the middle. This eliminates the possibility of smudging while allowing for remarkably less viscosity, which means better ink-flow. This results in a combination of advantages offered by Rollerball and Ballpoint pens.
Another advantage they bring on the table is that they afford a wider range of colors due to their reliance on pigments, which can easily be manipulated to achieve different strains. Since these pens are more of a hybrid of the previous two, they are considered superior and often come with a greater cost.
There are four major types of ink associated with markers based on the primary solvents used. These are pigment based, oil, water and alcohol-based. Inks which are water or pigment based are appropriate for standard paper surfaces. Oil based and alcohol inks are great for other media such as plastic, glass and metal.
Markers also occur in different types depending on a number of properties. While some offer permanent ink, others are erasable, such as dry erase markers. Other types include highlighters, and felt tip markers.
One aspect that markers address in a satisfactory way is diversity, which is reflected in a variety of sizes and colors. This makes them a great tool for a wide range of uses such as art and officework. If you’re up for a tool to add special features to your text such as highlighting, or something to use on a wide range of surface, these pens can efficiently perform the trick.
Pins prove handy in a variety of aspects related to document management. These include securing particular papers or documents on boards or simply securing some drawing papers on specialized drawing boards.
These are the most familiar in most circles. They consist of a small nail which is attached to a soft plastic covering at the back to provide for an easy push into the cardboard. They have quite a wide range of use cases including notices, pictures, important documents, checklists, and a myriad of other papers or documents.
They also come in different styles and colours to suit a variety of tastes, and they come in varying quantities per pack depending on the brand’s preference.
These provide an older version of the basic push pin and are commonly used in drawing circles to secure the drawing paper to the drawing board. They are usually longer than push pins and have a flat head which serves as a pushing point for the thumb, and a thin nail.
They are usually available in 11mm sizes and in varying quantities. Apart from holding drawing paper, they also prove useful in other types of documents including pictures, maps, cards and are also strong enough to work on harder surfaces such as wood.
These are primarily used to mark designated points on charts, maps and graphs. Their distinctive feature is a hexagonal head which can take different colors to be used for identification purposes. They are also available in varying sizes ranging from 10-40mm. A typical pack comes with a total of 10 pins.
This is in essence an indicator pin that has a flag instead of a hexagonal head. They usually come in quantities of 100 pieces pre pack.
These are also known as ink erasers and they are used to correct writing mistakes by removing the pens ink from the paper.
Two main types exist and these include the older abrasive scrapers which employ a physical mechanism where the ink is scraped off the surface with the aid of specially prepared abrasives. Modern erasers mainly utilise chemical means where special solutions are used to dissolve the ink from the paper. These erasers physically remove the ink from the paper.
There are two main types of paper commonly used in offices, and these are : printing and writing paper. As the names indicate, the former is primarily used for printed characters while the later is mainly used for handwriting. The main reason behind the different use cases is the composition of the two types of papers. The key defining feature in the composition is that printing paper is coated whereas writing paper is uncoated.
The word “coated” relates to the fact that a printing paper’s surface is lined with what is known as a sealant. The sealant prevents the ink from being absorbed into the paper on top of affecting other physical qualities of the paper including weight and texture. By reducing the papers ability to absorb the ink, the sealant helps with increasing the overall clarity of the resultant image or text. The coat can also be specially treated to achieve various textures and visual effects thus allowing for diverse types of papers available today.
Diaries serve the noble purpose of keeping you focused on tasks by functioning as a reminder for present and future tasks, as well as being an excellent record keeper to inform your future endeavours. There is a myriad of styles and types of corporate diaries online to serve a variety of tastes. However, answering the following basic questions will go a long way in helping you get the best diary for your needs.
Working with a pile of papers comes with its own problems and one of them is keeping your papers in order though there is a lot of shifting and moving. Paperweights serve the simple purpose of keeping your papers aligned and intact by introducing a weighted object on top of the pile.
Any weighted object can qualify to perform this function but what makes paperweights popular and unique is the decorative aspect they bring on the table. There are numerous beautiful designs you can choose from to provide that motivational influence in the midst a hectic office day.
Buyers Guide For Office Stationary
Will you be keeping it at the office or not?
It’s important to be clear on this as it affects your choice in terms of size. If you are expecting a degree of mobility where you will be carrying it out of the office frequently, a medium or small sized diary would serve a good companion. On the other hand, if you are looking to use it in the office only, you can settle for a bigger and more spacious on-desk diary to assist you with your daily tasks.
How much information are you expecting to put in the diary?
Are you looking to be consistently meticulous on a daily basis, or just looking to keep a loose record and reminders to keep yourself on track? Diaries are designed differently and while some allow you a lot of space and pages for a lot of details, others provide less pages and space as they are more tailored to keeping a loose record of events and reminders.
What’s my style?
Do your prefer something more colorful and flashy, or a professional looking corporate style? This is also important as it has an effect on how you relate to your diary. An appealing style helps you to embrace the diary as a part of your routine and overall being which is important when it comes to adhering to whatever plans are jotted inside.
Are you looking for something that offers much more than just planning and organizing?
Some diaries go the extra mile to provide some additional features to make your experience as great and unique as possible. Additional features range from motivational quotes to special planning features such as meal or workout planners.
1. Cello Fine grip Ball pen set – Best ballpoint pen
Cello Finegrip ball pens are one of the most popular due to the reliability and comfort they afford in a variety of environments, be it schools or corporate circles. They continue to score highly on reviews since their introduction in mid 2017 thus earning their place on our review. Let’s look at the highlights.
- Design and type: Ball point.
- Material: They come in a standard body made of transparent ABS plastic which is lined by an Elasto grip close to the base to facilitate the writing grip. As expected, they also feature a plastic cup to cover the ball point base.
- Tip size: The tip is 0.7 mm long which is a standard size for a comfortable writing position.
- Quantity: One pack contains 25 items.
- Efficient: They allow for an efficient writing process for high character clarity.
- Comfortable: They provide for a comfortable grip and ideal overall size.
- Cheap: They come with a modest price tag for a pack of 25 items.
- The clarity may be below par when compared to other high end hand writing devices.
2. Amazon multipurpose scissors – Best scissor
AmazonBasics provide another valuable office tool to handle your document and other forms of paper cutting needs in this multipurpose scissor. It is a simple and yet effective tool that commands the highest regard from users and other models. Let’s have a look.
- Type: Straight blade scissor
- Size: The dimensions measure a rather portable 9.7 x 6.4 x 3.4 inches.
- Blade material: It is Titanium bonded to offer a better performance than steel.
- Approximated capacity: It can carry out up to 100,000 cuts before any compromise to the blades sharpness.
- Handles: Soft plastic
- Appropriate materials/thickness: Paper, cardboards, cards and a range of other soft home or office materials.
- Warranty: 1 year.
- Efficient: It affords clean cuts with a wide range of materials and has one of the highest capacities across the board.
- Comfortable: The ergonomically designed handles afford a comfortable overall experience.
- Durable: The Titanium enhanced blade provides for a solid and reliable cutting device.
- Great warranty: A 1 year warranty is more than enough time to protect you against manufacturers faults.
- May not be ideal for heavy duty use cases.
3. JK Print paper – Best print paper
JK is without question a leading brand when it comes to print papers. Its popularity among modern consumers rivals that of world renowned brands such as Typek as a consequence of the superior quality it provides. Let us walk through the key features of the product before we set the final verdict.
- Size: A4 (11.69 inch x 8.26 inch)
- Clarity enhancements: It features colorlock technology which enhances overall print quality.
- Type: Coated
- Colour: White
- Use cases:Inkjet and laserjet
- Enhanced print quality and whiteness : The colorlock technology gives the paper an extra layer of clarity and overall quality.
- Soft texture: This allows for a smooth printing or writing experience on top of enhancing clarity.
- Affordable: It comes with a more modest price when compared to other models with the same advantages.
- The quality of the paper is not up to the mark
- Came with some bent sheets
4. AmazonBasics All Purpose Washable Glue Sticks – Our best pick on adhesives
AmazonBasics comes on stage with one of the most popular and trusted glue sticks offering top notch effectiveness and efficiency. The quality of the actual glue and its properties has been overwhelmingly hailed by office equipment experts and general users. Let’s have am look at the features which set it apart as an adhesive.
- Type: It is a classic twist blue stick consisting of a portable cylindrical body which houses the glue, a rotating base, and a head which is essentially the open end usually covered by a plastic cup. The base is rotated to propel the glue towards the base for easy application.
- Volume and quantity: It comes in as a 12 pack. The amount of glue in each stick measures up to 21.8 grams.
- Appropriate surfaces: It works efficiently on a variety of surfaces including basic paper, cardboards, cards and photos.
- Glue properties: It is non-toxic and washable using basic soap and water.
- Efficient: It provides for a quick-to-adhere glue formula.
- Versatile: The glue works on a wide range of surfaces.
- User-friendly: Like most glue sticks, its design allows for a straightforward approach in terms of application.
- High quality glue formula: On top of providing for quick adherence, it is also easy to use as it is non toxic and can easily be washed with any standard soap and water if there are any misapplications.
- It is appropriate for light to medium use cases only.
- The glue does not work for 3D printing papers
5. Hot Glue Gun by UNIGEAR Sticks – Versatile Product
Sticks provide an impressive form of set of a gun and thermoplastics which adhere on a wide range of surfaces with marked versatility, as it works with a wide range of glue guns. Let’s have a closer look.
- Stick size: They measure 200mm x 11mm in terms of height and diameter which is within the standard range in order to fit in most glue guns.
- Appropriate surfaces: They can be used on a wide range of surfaces including heat sensitive materials and standard surfaces such as plastic, wood, fabric, metal, ceramics, and cartons.
- Other functional features
- It takes about 3-5 minutes for the glue to reach a workable temperature.
- It utilises the feed trigger mechanism to facilitate smooth flowing of the glue.
- The set can be used on a wide range of surfaces.
- It forms strong bonds and solidifies quickly.
- Compatible with a wide range of glue guns.
- Not ideal for standard papers.
- Glue guns can be dangerous if handled incorrectly thus they need extra precautions.
6. KESETKO Pins – Best pick on pins
When it comes to board pins, the dominant name is Kesetko pins due to a number of good reasons. We will look at the details later on in the pros section, but in general, they present one of the most versatile and durable options on today’s market. Let us look at the details more closely.
- Design: They take a classic design of push pins where you have a small pin attached to a plastic case at the back to provide for cushioning. They come in different colours to serve different tastes and also as a valuable tool when pinpointing locations on the board.
- Quantity: They come in as set of 120 pins contained in a plastic case.
- Length: They are 24 mm long.
- Ample number of pieces
- They can be used on a variety of purposes.
- These are the thumb pins that can be easily used on the notice boards
- They are not as stable when used for thicker materials.
7. Rasper tricolor paper weight – Amazing paper weight
Simple as it may appear to be, this simple device provides one of the most popular office desk items that can be handy in assisting you with keeping your documents together in a crowded workstation. It can be summarized one of the simple paper weight designs, elegant and effective in getting its job done. Let’s have a quick look at the key features.
- Size: It is 3 inches long and 2 inches wide.
- Material: It is built with cast acrylic.
- Weight: Approximately 80 grams
- It is wide and heavy enough to hold various sizes and weights of paper.
- It features an elegant design to blend into a neat, modern work environment.
- It is cheap.
- The finishing quality is not up to the mark.
- Slight high price tag
- The weight is too less to keep hold bunch of papers
8. Innerbit Paper Cutter – Best Guillotine paper cutter
If you are in for an efficient machine to carry out those neat cuts for a wide range of paper sizes while not eating up too much of your space, the Innerbit paper cutter is a device worth a look. It features one of the most powerful feature sets around combined with a touch of solidity rarely seen in most devices. Let’s get up-close.
- Type and design: It is a guillotine paper cutter. The construction is that of a standard Guillotine machine featuring a board which holds the surface for the paper with markings for different paper sizes, and a clamp to secure the paper. The side is attached to the Guillotine blade which is attached to the handle.
- Material: Predominantly metallic as the base and blade are made of steel. The clamp is made of hard PVC plastic.
- Appropriate paper sizes: It works with A4, A5, B5, B6, B7 as well as postcards and photo sizes.
- Capacity: It effectively work on bundles of up to 10 sheets of 70 gsm paper sizes.
- Efficient: It features an efficient cutting blade and has a high capacity when compared to most machines on the market.
- Wide range of use cases: It can be used on a wide range of office grade papers.
- Easy to use: The blade is easy to manoeuvre when thrusting, and the papers are easy to position and secure due to the markings and the clamp.
- Durable: The solid steel construction provides for a machine you can use on a long term basis.
- May not be as ideal for high precision cutting as standard paper trimmers.
9. CraftDev-A500MB Portable Paper Trimmer – Best Portable trimmer
The CraftDev-A500MB paper trimmer provides a great option if you prefer something that offers more accuracy and precision than a Guillotine cutter. Let’s have a closer look at its features and see if its really worthy any penny.
- Type : Paper trimmer
- Material and weight: Made of PVC plastic material, except for the blade which is made of steel. It weighs at about 0.4kg.
- Paper capacity: Maximum of 3 sheets of area 70 gsm.
- Cutting length: 32 centimetres
- High precision: The cutting blade design and board markings allow for a high degree of accuracy.
- User-friendly: It is generally easy to setup and operate
- Durable: It allows for a strong device which can be used on a long term basis.
- Lower sheet capacity thus may be a challenge when handling high volumes of work.
- Product quality is not up to the mark
10. Care 4 10-in-1 Combo – Best multipurpose office tool
This multipurpose tool affords a descent performance though it packs ten office tools in one portable hybrid. It has proven to be quite a great attempt to attain the feat of providing an all in one solution for the pragmatic and tech-savvy user. Let’s have a quick look at what it has to offer in terms of features.
- Size: 5 inches
- Capabilities: The tool has multiple functional abilities from being a stapler to a handy cutter.
- Cutters: Retractable scissors, carton opener, pencil sharpener.
- Pen holder
- Puncher: Single hole punch.
- Staple pin remover: Standard size
- Measuring tape: Retractable and 1 meter long.
- Key ring: Paper Clip Storage basket.
- Waste bin: Desktop de-clutter
- Multifunctional: It combines multiple functionalities in one portable device.
- Effective: All functional components work with an above average performance.
- Userfriendly: It is easy and safe to operate
- The multiple functions come with an elevated price tag.
11. AmazonBasics Stapler machine – Best Office Stapler Machine
Great staplers are defined by ease of use, efficiency and durability, and this device from AmazonBasics has a great share of all these factors. Despite its recent introduction in late 2018, there is much to suggest its great performance so far as evidenced by relevant reviews. Let’s have a look.
- Type: Mini strip
- Design: It comes in standard matte-black stapler design, with a curvy staple head over the base, which is lined with a plastic protective layer underneath. It generally affords a cosmetically appealing look by professional standards.
- Capacity: The staple holder, also known as a magazine, can accommodate 200 staples, and it can handle up to 10 sheets in a single punch.
- Warranty: 1 year.
- Efficient: It affords a reliable and clean stapling mechanism.
- Durable: It is cohesively built to furnish a prolonged lifespan.
- High capacity: It can hold a large number of staples in addition to an above-average sheet capacity for light to moderate duty stapling.
- Visually appealing design: It features a professional finish which can easily fit into a variety of modern settings.
- Comfortable: It is soft and easy to execute the punch due to an efficiently designed system as well as the shock absorbing plastic lining underneath the base.
- It is not appropriate for heavy duty stapling.
- Durability can be questioned
12. COI business professional organiser – Best professional diary
This is a great tool to keep you professional by keeping track of your time and goals in a practical way. It is loaded with delightful features and endowed with a professional look that should keep you motivated as you go about working hard and achieving great things for your office and life as a whole.
- Design and size: The diary comes in a professional looking but stylish design featuring a faux leather covering, which also adds a touch of durability and authenticity. The overall size measures 9.5 X 7.15 inches as the actual paper size falls at around 9.25 X 7 Inches.
- Appropriate use cases: It is applicable in both regular daily usage and professional business settings.
- Organizational features: It incorporates both general and specialized features to enhance goal setting. These include: Personal Information pages, Financial summary Pages, Personal information pages and Calendar pages.
- Versatile: The diary incorporates a remarkable range of features to cater for both general and special professional purposes.
- Durable: It comes in a durable faux leather covering to offer the much needed protection to then inside components.
- High quality paper material: It consists of high clarity, biodegradable papers to enhance the writing experience.
- The price is a bit on the upper side when compared with other diaries with more or less the same features set.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are Glue guns safer than Sprays? and which is more effective?
There is not much difference in safety and effectiveness when both are handled correctly. They key difference is that sprays can be used on a wider range of surfaces.
2. Are Titanium enhanced scissor blades significantly more durable than stainless steel blades?
Titanium enhance blade have been proven to offer an extra layer of protection, especially to the cutting edge of the blade surface.
3. What determines the sheet capacity of stapler machines?
The major factor is the size and strength of the pins used. Larger and thicker pins provide more force and resistance against thicker bundles of paper thus giving the stapler a greater sheet capacity.
Choosing the right office stationery set is a matter of having a clear understanding of the items which matter, along with an understanding of the brands and models to aid the decision making process. The first factor was tackled by the first section, which discussed the individual key elements in detail whereas the second section addressed the later through a comprehensive account of the actual models. This should be enough to lift you off the ground as you seek the best possible office experience. All the best!