Best Lift the Flap Books for Kids
Reading out books to your kids provides immersive parenting experiences that involve great learning and entertainment for kids. It helps you to develop deep bonding with your kids and enables you to inculcate various life’s values and principles in them.
In this age of e-books and digital media, the lift-the-flap books provide us a refreshing break and valuable time to spend with our kids. These flap books provide highly informative content for helping the kids in mastering different skills.
We’ve also carried adequate research for you and come up with the top 11 best lift the flap books that will work wonders for your loved one and answered a few common questions. Go through the advantages, different types and comprehensive buyers guide first before making any purchase for your little one.
Top 11 Best Flap Books for Kids in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best interactive book
Original Lift the Flap
Best question and answers book
Best sing-along book
Fun Interactive book
Best farm book for kids
Best color lift the flap book
Best for underwater scenes and animals
150 Flaps Pages
150 Flaps Pages
Advantages of Lift the Flap Books to Kids
Helps kids recognize different colors
The more your little one uses the lift-the-flap books, the more they familiarize themselves with a variety of colors. Most of these books are full of different combinations of colors, allowing your kid to learn the colors gradually with ease.
Furthermore, there are color books as well that specifically require them to interact with the flaps for color recognition. With time, you might be surprised to find that your kid knows more colors than you do.
Keeps kids engaged for long
Lift the flap books are the best when it comes to keeping your kids busy. The reason for this is that they are quite colorful, full of pictures, and humorous. Your kid will spend a lot of time on them, allowing you to carry out other errands around the house.
Enables child-parent bonding
Sometimes, you’ll have to spend time flipping the flaps with your little one, especially at the beginning. You’ll have to teach them how to go about it. You should also know that your kids will nag you from time to time to lift the flaps with them, which is a good thing.
Source of entertainment
Lift the flap books are full of fun activities. For example, the sing-along books will engage your little one in repeating the rhymes as they appear in the book. The stories in these books are also quite humorous and will always leave your little one happy and entertained.
Fine motor development
These books will help kids develop excellent motor skills as they lift their little fingers to lift the flap to solve a mystery. The more they use them, the better their limbs will get.
Helps kids to develop exceptional reading skills
Lift the flap books are more than just fun and killing time. These books help kids develop reading skills at a tender age. Should you get the best one, especially those with short stories, your kid will significantly improve their reading ability and language as well.
Enables parents to enjoy some free time on their own
When using a lift the flap book, your kid will be deeply engrossed in it, providing you some free time. Sometimes you might be tired from a busy day, and all you need is a few minutes or an hour or two of relaxation. In such cases, these books can come to the rescue.
Types of Lift the Flap Books
Question and Answers
Question and Answers flap books provide kids with charming answers to challenging questions that they love to ask. They usually have a bold question heading like “Where? Who? What? How?” among others.
The books are entertaining and informative and mostly come with simply written texts and an added touch of humor.
If you want to introduce your little one to stories of your religion, then consider getting flip books that tell these stories in an easy to understand way. These books help teach children about the religion in a way they can grasp.
They combine sweet art and color, a feature that makes them quite appealing to kids and adults as well. They are also easy to understand and will delight your kid.
Literature and Fiction
Literature and Fiction flap books introduce kids to fairy tales. They are fun, engaging and informative as well. Most of these books come with rhymes that introduce kids to lift the flap to discover the story.
Sing-along /Nursery Rhyme
Nursey Rhyme Lift the Flap Books are important stepping stones for your kid’s language development. They aim at teaching kids that events happen in sequence and then begin to follow along.
The books are full of repetition and often become some of a baby’s first words. They are designed to catch and develop kids’ imagination.
Lift the flap color books introduce kids to colors. They help kids to learn colors in a fun way as they contain a lot of color matching activities. With a color book, your kid will get a chance to practice color recognition skills.
These books encourage counting, matching and number recognition skills. Most come with beautiful illustrations that make your little one fall in love with each page as they continue to lift the flaps.
The following are the thing you need to look out for when purchasing lift the flap books for 2 years old.
Before you get a lift the flap book for your kid, you need to ask yourself the reason to why you want to purchase it for them in the first place. What you want your little one to learn from the book should be your drive into buying the book?
This will make your decision making process easier.
The age of your kid matters a lot. What might be relevant to a five-year-old will never be relevant to a two-year-old. Always go for what will benefit your kid but not what your friends purchased for their child.
Quality of the flaps
Check the quality of the flaps before you buy a book for your baby. Kids are clumsy, and should you go for a low-quality one; they might get ripped off a week after purchase.
Ensure that the flaps do not fold back as this is one of the features of poor quality one. The flaps of the best book should be thick and sturdy.
Weight of the book
Always go for a book that your little one can carry in their hands with ease. A light book will become your little one’s companion at all times. They’ll be able to carry it to and from school or anywhere around the house with comfort.
Number of pages
The more the number of pages in a lift the flap book, the better. More pages mean more content. Your little one will benefit a lot from such a book and also spend more time before they can go through it all. Such a book will also provide your baby with more fun and entertainment.
Kids love beautiful things. You can’t purchase a dull book with few or no pictures and expect your baby to fall in love with it. Ensure that you get a colorful lift the flap book for your little one as this will attract their attention, making them want to lift one flap after the other.
Get a book that will fully engage your kid. The book should have hilarious and humorous content at the same time, especially for older kids. It should make the kid want to lift one flap after the other to unravel a mystery or get answers to questions.
Before going for a book, always put your budget into consideration. If on a tight budget, look for a book that comes at a price that you can comfortably afford without straining your budget. Some lift the flap books come at a low price but still contain quality content.
You need to know that you should never compromise quality because of the price. If a book won’t help your little one, there’s no need to purchase it even if it comes at a lower price.
11 Best Flap Books for Kids
1. Sesame Street – Our Choice
This lift the flap book by Tom Brannon is one of the best books to introduce your little one to the letters of the alphabet. It comes with busy scenes, lots of labels, oodles flap, and characters that make learning the alphabet so much fun.
This book contains more than 55 flaps that teach kids all the alphabet letters. It is stuffed with surprising alphabetical rhymes, words, and riddles to discover what objects are hiding behind a certain letter.
The book has more than 100 labels that make learning the alphabet so much fun. It is best for kids within the age of 2 to 5 years and has ten pages.
Each page in this book has several letters with multiple words beginning. It has bright and beautiful illustrations that attract kids.
- Introduces kids to the letters of the alphabet.
- Suitable for kids aged two to five years.
- Has more than 100 labels and 55 flaps to lift.
- Contains surprising alphabetic words as well as rhymes and riddles.
- Makes learning the alphabet fun.
- Has busy scenes and bright illustrations that attract kids.
- Has easy to read text.
- The flaps are easy to lift.
- Too big and heavy for a two-year-old.
- A little too busy for some kids.
2. Where is Baby’s Belly Button? – Best interactive book
This book by Karen Katz will help your kid know their body parts at a young age. It is a delightful interactive book that will keep your loved one busy and enlightened at the same time. Your baby will surely learn a lot and in such a simple way.
The book has an easy format that is perfect for kids and parents to share. Its flaps are easy to lift to small children and, therefore, easy to use. It comes with beautiful pictures and easy to read the text. There is a frequent repetition of words in the book that makes it one of the best rhyme books you can ever find.
The book has 14 pages and best suited for kids with the age limit of 1 to 4 years. It is quite attractive and will keep your kids engaged as they’ll want to read it from time to time.
- Has easy to lift flaps and thus best for smaller kids.
- Best for parents that want their kids to learn different body parts at a tender age.
- Suitable for kids aged 1 to 4 years and comes with 14 pages.
- Comes with beautiful pictures and easy to read text.
- Has easy to lift flaps.
- Easy to read and memorize.
- Perfect for kids and parents to share.
- Has beautiful images that make it attractive.
- Has thin flaps that rip off with ease.
- Not useful to 2+ aged kids.
3. Where’s Spot – Original Lift the Flap
Third on our list is this book by Eric Hill, an adventure book that allows your kid to explore and join the hunt for a lovable puppy by the name Spot. The book requires your little one to lift the flaps to find all sorts of animal surprises before getting to where the cheeky spot is hiding.
The book is one of the best books for kids and comes in a playful text that is much fun to read. The hide and seek flaps encourage interactivity and curiosity at the same time. The book comes in a smart case board and is very attractive to kids.
This book also comes with sturdy and toddler-tough flaps that don’t tear with ease. It is suitable for kids within the age range of 1 to 5 yrs and will keep them engaged for long. The book is written in English language and has 24 pages.
- Requires kids to lift the flaps to discover where little puppy Spot has been hiding.
- Comes in a playful text that is fun for kids to read.
- Has sturdy and toddler-tough flaps that don’t tear with ease.
- Comes in a smart cased board that makes it attractive to kids.
- Has easy to read text.
- Helps toddlers to learn animal names.
- Engaging and informative.
- Some flaps are fragile and fold backward if not placed properly.
4. Lift the Flap Question and Answers About Nature – Best question and answers book
Written by Katie Daynes, this humorous book will answer different questions on nature that your little one would like to know.
For example, it will give hilarious reasons to your little one as to why spiders make the web, where clouds come from and also the number of leaves that a tree contains.
Your inquisitive kid will get answers to lots of questions from this book and save you from their nagging. The book comes with beautiful pictures and colors that are so much fun. The illustrations attract the attention of kids and also invoke excitement.
The book contains over 60 flaps to lift and has 14 pages. It has sturdy flaps that won’t rip off with ease even after constant use. It will introduce your little one to the fascinating natural world and thus your best bet.
- Contains different questions on nature and answers to the same.
- Comes with beautiful pictures and colors that attract the attention of kids.
- Includes over 60 flaps to lift and 14 pages.
- A perfect book to introduce kids to the natural world.
- Has colorful pictures that attract kids’ attention.
- Beautifully illustrated and easy to read.
- Has sturdy flaps that don’t tear with ease.
- Provides answers on nature to inquisitive kids.
- A little pricey.
5. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star – Best sing-along book
This a sing-along lift the flap book for your kid, by Richard Pat-a-cake. The book combines lively pictures with a classic nursery rhyme that kids, parents, and careers can recognize and recite with ease.
Your little one will enjoy searching the page for the flaps and lifting them to open while singing along. The book will help your kid a great deal when it comes to language development and capture his imagination as well.
It is full of repetition that makes it easy for your baby to sing. It also has a spotting game at the end that creates a significant incentive urging you to go through the pages once again until you find everything.
- Combines lively pictures with classic nursery rhymes that are easy for kids and parents to recognize and recite.
- Has a spotting game at the end that makes one go through the pages once more and ensure that they find everything.
- Designed to capture kids’ imagination.
- Has easy-to-lift flaps that make it easy for kids to open and sing along.
- Captures kids’ imagination.
- Kids identify with the rhyme.
- Acts as a stepping stone to kids’ language development.
- Full of repetition and thus easy for kids to recite.
- Has very few pages.
6. Oi Frog Mix & Match Book – Fun Interactive book
If you are looking for a hilarious book that will always leave your little one in stitches, try this mix and matchbook by Kes Gray.
With this cute little book, your baby’s laughter will never end. It’ll keep him engaged for long and enable you to carry out other tasks around the house.
The book comes with a perfect match of words and pictures to keep your little one entertained again and again. It talks about the frog’s discovery and where different animals sit. It is perfectly pitched for kids and also very colorful to attract their attention.
The book has 12 pages that are sturdy enough and won’t rip off easily.
- Has a perfect match of words and pictures to entertain your little one.
- Perfectly pitched for kids and very hilarious.
- Has 12 pages and sturdy flaps that don’t rip off with ease.
- Comes with brilliant illustrations and color to attract kids’ attention.
- Colorful and attractive to kids.
- Has sturdy pages and thus long lasting.
- Keeps kids entertained for long.
- Comes at a reasonable price.
- No negative points observed so far.
7. Life on Earth: Farm – Best farm book for kids
This flap book by Heather Alexander will introduce your kid to a farmer’s life, this book by might suit you best. It comes with 100 questions that seek answers to the activities that take place on a farm.
This fact-filled book answers questions in a simple and informative way that makes it easy for kids to understand. It will fascinate your kids and also ignite their interest in the countryside. It is full of color and has a lot of things going on to keep your little one engaged for long.
It is a perfect introduction to a farmer’s life as it mostly talks about food and how it’s grown. It has sturdy flaps that won’t tear easily. It is best for kids aged five and above, has more than 70 flaps to lift and contains 16 pages.
- Introduces kids to a farmer’s life and mostly talks about crops and how they are grown.
- Contains 100 questions on farm activities and more than 70 lift flaps.
- Answers questions in a simple and informative way.
- Has sturdy flaps that do not tear with ease.
- Ignites kid’s interest in the countryside.
- Answers questions in a simple way.
- Has more than 70 flaps to lift.
- Introduces kids to a farmer’s life.
- A little pricey.
8. Brown Bear Brown Bear, what do You See? – Best color lift the flap book
This book by Bill Martin Jr comes in exuberantly colored artwork and animals that makes it the perfect book to introduce your little one to colors. Each flap leads seamlessly to the next, making young kids to delight in it.
The book uses repetitive language that makes it easy for kids to read and memorize. It contains the relevant and straightforward text for kids and will no doubt make your little one fall in love with it.
This book is not only fun but educational as it will help your kid learn different colors and names of animals as well. It is best for kids between the age of 1 to 3 years and contains 22 pages that are sturdy with easy to flip flaps.
- Contains colored artwork and animals and thus the best for kids’ introduction to colors.
- Comes with relevant and straightforward text that is easy for kids to understand.
- Includes a lot of repetitive words and therefore easy to memorize.
- Best for kids aged one to three years.
- Easy to memorize.
- Fun and educational .
- Easy to understand.
- Comes at a reasonable price.
- No negative points observed so far.
9. Pop-Up Peekaboo! Under the Sea – Best for underwater scenes and animals
This lift the flaps book by DK will help you introduce your kid to underwater scenes and water animals of all kinds. All they need to do is turn the pages of this delightful meet to meet the stripy fish, the diving dolphin, and other exciting sea creatures.
This book will encourage early learning to your little one in a fun and exciting way. With the help of an adult, your baby will learn to read along with a lot of ease. Kids will undoubtedly enjoy lifting the flaps, and each character in the book will make them smile at all times.
It is ideal for preschool play and will appeal to you and your kid. It will entertain your kid time and again and keep them engaged for long.
This book also comes with sturdy flaps, and you, therefore, won’t have to worry about wear and tear. It has a total of 12 pages.
- Introduces kids to underwater scenes and animals.
- Encourages learning in a fun and exciting way.
- Ideal for preschool play and appealing to both parents and kids.
- Has 12 pages with sturdy and easy to lift flaps.
- Has sturdy flaps and thus doesn’t rip off with ease.
- Keeps kids entertained from time to time.
- Colorful and attractive to kids.
- Binding of the book could have been better.
10. Lift the Flap Adding and Subtracting Board Book – 150 Flaps Pages
This book by Rosie Hore will help your kid to learn how to solve all kinds of adding and subtracting puzzles. It comes with over 150 flaps. Your kid has to lift them to reveal the answers to the questions.
The book comes with a variety of topics, including number bonds, number lines, money puzzles, and fact families. It will help your little one become good in addition and subtraction. Also, it improves their motor skills as they solve the puzzles.
The book even has a monster board game at the back where kids get to put their knowledge into practice. If you want your kid to learn how to add and subtract numbers at a young age, you ought to give the book a try.
- Has all kinds of adding and subtracting puzzles.
- Has over 150 flaps to lift and reveal the answers.
- Contains number bonds, number lines, money puzzles and fact families topics.
- Has a monster game at the back where kids can practice what they have learned.
- Introduces kids to addition and subtraction.
- Has a variety of topics for kids to learn.
- Has a board game where kids can practice what they’ve learned.
- No negative points observed so far.
11. Lift The Flap Opposites: Children Board Book
“Lift-the-flaps Opposites” is an early learning novelty board book for kids by Wonder House Books. It is a fun-filled and interactive book that helps to familiarize your kids with opposites.
This flap book is designed for attracting young kids and provides them with hours of fun-filled learning.
- The flap book features eye-catching pictures that help your kids to develop enhanced observation skills.
- The words and their opposites that are given in this book help in building the vocabulary of your kids at an early age.
- It is designed to keep your kids interested and encourage the habit of books-reading.
- It is recommended for the kids in the age group of 3-5 years.
- The dimensions of the book measure 20 x 14 x 4 cm.
- It is a lightweight book that weighs only 170 grams. This makes it easy to hold and read.
- This board book comprises 10 pages.
- This board book is filled with colorful illustrations that easily capture your child attention and promote color recognition skills
- It comes with easy-to-lift flaps
- It encourages your kids to learn new words and use them in their daily life. It assists the kids in improving their word building skills.
- It allows you to spend quality time with your kids and strengthen your bonding.
- The printed words are easy to read.
- No negative points were observed.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I introduce reading to my kid?
You should introduce your little one to reading within days of bringing them home. This exercise will not only help build a special bond between you two but also instill the love of books to your baby at a tender age.
At this stage, you should use songs and rhymes as this will enable your kid to hear the sounds and syllables in words that will help them learn to read.
You also need to invite your baby to read the words together with you. The words should have at least three sounds to make it easier for them. This exercise will help your little one learn how to sound out words.
You can also ask your kid questions as read with them as this will help her develop the ability to comprehend what she is reading. Set a good example to your kid as well if you do not want their passion for reading to dwindle. Let your kid see you reading at least three to four times a day.
2. How often should my baby use lift the flap books?
Your little one can use the book daily or when feeling tired after a busy day in school. The need to use the book will come naturally for most kids as they are a good stress buster.
3. When should I introduce flip the flap books to my little one?
Your kid can start using the book as early as when they’re two years of age. You’ll even find flap books that are suitable for one-year-olds. The earlier your kid can start learning with the books, the better. You don’t have to wait until they are three or four years old for you to get a book for them.
4. Which is the best lift the flap book for my kid?
The best book for your little one is one that they can lift and open the flaps with ease, age-appropriate, one that suits the purpose and keeps your little one engaged at all times.
Be careful not to go for a book simply because a friend purchased one for their kid. What works for them might not work for your baby.
5. When should my Little one-stop using lift the flap books?
There’s no set time as to when a kid should stop using the books. There are lift the flap books to suit kids of different ages, and all come with different things for your little one to learn.
They should only stop using the book if they outgrow it. You won’t even tell them to stop as they’ll do it on their own after getting bored with it.
6. Must I supervise my kid when using the books?
You do not need to do so. If the book is age-appropriate and your little one knows how to read, you don’t have to have to be there at all times.
However, there are those books that require you to help your little one read them. You would also find it necessary to supervise your toddler if they like ripping off the pages of every book they come across.
Lift the flap books provide a joyous and interesting way of reading. It promotes the habit of reading among the kids. These books are scientifically crafted for providing fun-filled learning. These books offer an easy way of understanding with colorful pictures.
These flap books feature sturdy construction for long-lasting usage. These provide a great way of introducing simple words, numbers, rhymes, colors, etc.
These books have attractive texts, a dash of humor, and interesting illustrations for keeping your kids engaged for hours.
Lift the flap books will help keep your kid entertained for long and teach them a lot at a tender age. Our top picks on this list include: Sesame Street , Where is Baby’s Belly Button? and Where’s Spot?.