Best Fish Foods
Fish is an important source of protein in our diet. Like humans, they do require food to survive. And how pet owners provide dog food and cat food. They are capable of finding their food in the water bodies. However, the fishes we keep in aquariums in our homes or offices are incapable of finding their meals.
Fish food is available in different types, colors, shapes, and sizes. You need to understand what kind of food is most suitable for your fish type. This can be quite a task for a new aquarium owner. It’s now easy to get fish food online with all the details.
This article provides detailed insight regarding fish food. We have explained the different types of fish food, the importance of fish food, How much you need to feed the fish, and have explained the factors to be considered before purchasing i.e., the buyer’s guide. This is followed by the review of the top 13 fish food available on the e-commerce website, Amazon, along with their links to purchase from and FAQ’s.
13 Best Fish Foods
Reasonable Option for Faster Growth
Value for Money
Best Guppy Fish Food
Best Deal for All Aquarium Fish
The Head Growth Enhancer
The Natural Fish Color Enhancer
The Best Freeze-Dried Fish Food
The Good Quality Freeze-Dried Fish Food
Best for Small Fish
Importance of Fish Food
Fish in aquariums are like any other pet that their owners need to care for and look after them. They are away from their natural habitat and live in an artificial tank that is made to look like their homes. Thus, it is our responsibility to feed them since they cannot provide food for themselves.
Fish foods available in local and online markets are packed with nutrients that are needed by fish to grow and remain healthy. They form a balanced diet that can be fed to your fish once or at most twice a day. You need to ensure not to overfeed your fish, and thus maintaining a routine is required.
The fish foods which are dried can be an ideal staple diet for the fish held in captivity. They have a low-fat content preventing liver damages and providing vitamins and minerals to the fish. However, no one likes a monotonous meal. For this, there is a variety of fish food available, which you can read about in the Types Of Fish Food.
How Much Do I Need To Feed My Fish
Fishes are those creatures that will eat when hungry and will also gobble up any available food even when they do not need any food consumption. This often leads to overfeeding, which adversely affects the life-span of your aquarium fish. Hence, it is important to know the correct quantity of fish food to provide your fish with.
Understanding How Fish Eats
Now, the quantity of food you need to provide your fish differs from species to species. For example, a nocturnal fish requires to be fed only once at night, while herbivores need to be fed much more frequently. Hence, they need to be provided with small feedings several times a day, or the aquarium should be provided with live plants so that they can nibble on.
On the other hand, most fishes will eat as and when you provide them with food. They can eat even when not hungry. You may underfeed them but ensure not to overfeed.
Right Amount of Food
You must provide your fish with the right quantity of food. Fishes require 14 to 16 hours to digest their food, so it is okay to feed them once a day. However, most owners prefer feeding adult fishes twice a day in small quantities. In the case of newly hatched fishes or smaller fishes like fry, they need to be fed more frequently i.e., 5-8 times a day.
Consequences of Overfeeding
Provide your fish with food that will be consumed within 5 minutes. Underfeeding is always better than overfeeding since you can always feed your fish again. However, overfeeding your fish will clog your aquarium increasing ammonia levels, which in turn leads to serious health hazards for your fish.
Too much eating will lead to digestive problems further contaminating the aquarium. This also reduces the oxygen level in the tank and lowers the pH level. The water becomes unhygienic and unclean, making it a toxic environment for the fish to survive in. Moreover, excessive eating will also cause bloating and obesity, reducing the life of your aquarium fish.
Types of Fish Food
Dried Fish Food
This type of fish food is the most common type of food available in the market. It is a versatile food type that has something to offer for all types of fishes, be it carnivores, omnivores, or herbivores. They are the cheapest and can be stored conveniently over a long period, provided it is kept in a dry place.
Dried fish food is further classified into the following types:
Flake Fish Food
These types of food come in the form of small and thin pieces of paper like flakes that float on the surface of the water. They lose their nutrients when entirely dissolved in water. Thus, it is best suited for fish that swim in the middle of the water that can reach the surface easily for their meal. Flake food is designed to meet the requirements of the different fish species.
Crisps are similar to flake food apart from the fact that they are much denser and thicker than the latter. They are capable of floating in the water for a longer time and hence able to retain their nutrients for a longer period.
They are much more beneficial than flake foods; however, they cost more and are sometimes too big for the consumption of smaller fish.
Pellets also refer to as granules that are denser than both crisps and flakes. Hence, they even each the fish that remain at the bottom of the aquarium. Pellets are available in three forms, namely, the buoyant floating pellets that can float on the surface for a longer time, the slow-sinking pellets resembling gravel-sized chunks that fall slowly to the bottom of the surface and the fast-sinking pellets.
The fast-sinking pellets are heavy and much denser than the other types. They tend to fall to the bottom of the aquarium much rapidly. Thus, you need to pay attention so that you don’t overfeed your fish.
The stick-on tablets are the dry fish food that can stick on to the glass wall of the aquarium when you hold it to the glass for a few seconds. This allows you to enjoy the view of your fish feeding on the tablet.
Wafers are designed to be available in small and large sizes for the fish that swim in the bottom of the water. They sink to the bottom quickly and soften slowly for the fish to nibble on. They cannot be eaten in one go and are made of plants and vegetables.
Freeze-dried food is live food like blackworms, Brine shrimp, daphnia, krill, etc. that have been dried whole. They have a long shelf life and can be fed to small fish as well. They are an ideal choice to feed fish like goldfish, betta, etc.
The most common types of live food include Bloodworm, Daphnia, Tubifex, Artemis, or Brine Shrimp. They are readily available in local fish stores. However, they contaminate the water of your aquarium easily. This is why live food today has been explicitly farmed for use as fish food.
Frozen foods are live foods mixed with ingredients that are frozen into cubes. You will just have to thaw it and feed it to your fish or simply add it to the aquarium without thawing. They have a longer shelf life than live foods, and the cubes make the measure of serving simpler.
Fresh foods include vegetables like peas or squash. They are ideal for fish like catfish and swordtails. However, you need to remember not to overfeed your fish with a large quantity and to remove the uneaten food from the tank.
The first essential factor to consider before buying fish food for your fish is to understand the type of food which is suitable for it. Fish can also be classified into those that eat meat (Carnivores), plants, and vegetables (Herbivores) or both (Omnivores).
Fish like Plecos, African Cichlids, Silver Dollars, and Pacus are Herbivores that eat only vegetarian food. The best type of food to provide this category of fish is dry fish food like flake food, pellets, or wafers. You can also feed them fresh food like peas, lettuce, or spinach.
The fish like Jack Dempsey Cichlids, Oscars, and Bettas are carnivores fish that like to feed on a non-vegetarian diet. The best type of food for this category of fish would be the live or freeze-dried food like that of Bloodworms and tiny shrimps.
Most aquarium fish like goldfish, catfish, or the tropical fish are omnivores that enjoy feeding on both meat and plants. You can feed them any type of food, be it dry foods like flake, pellets, crisps, freeze-dried, fresh or live food.
Like any other human or animal, fish too require food that can be easily digested. Thus, it is important to ensure that the ingredients used to prepare the fish food suit the digestive system of the fish. This prevents any digestive problems and ensures a longer, better life for your fish while also promoting its growth.
Taste preferences might differ from fish to fish. Hence, ensure that the fish food comes with metabolic enhancers. This increases the palatability of the fish food so that the fish can enjoy their meal while it boosts the growth and enhances the immune system with its high nutritional value.
Complete and Balanced
It is not difficult to find food for fish. It should be nutritionally complete and well balanced made with a blend of organic ingredients. It should be free from artificial color or salt. Ensure that it is enriched with high protein content, vitamins, and minerals. This helps in promoting growth and development while also enhancing its immune system. The fish food should be able to meet the dietary requirements of the fish to keep it healthy all year round.
Certain food comes with color enhancers and carotenoid pigments known as astaxanthin. This is a great feature to look for before purchasing fish food since the color enhancers and pigments in the food help to restore the washed-out skin color of the fish. The fish food containing color enhancers enhances the natural beauty of your fish by proving color and luster to its skin.
Your fish require a clean environment to live in, and constant fouling of the water would need you to have to clean the aquarium daily. This would not only cause inconvenience to you, but it would also be inconvenient for your fish. Thus, go for pellets or flakes that dissolve slowly in the water. This prevents it from breaking up into pieces and polluting the water in the fish tank.
Feeding Time/Feeding Amount
The feeding amount is usually mentioned on the pack itself. Follow the instructions given in the pack to ensure that you do not overfeed your fish. They should be fed 2-3 times a day in a quantity that can be consumed in 1-2 minutes. Thus, it is important to check the feeding time and amount on the pack before purchasing or feeding your fish.
Go for fish food that can be stored easily. Dry food like flakes and crisps should be stored in a clean, dry place while freeze-dried fish can be refrigerated or stored in airtight containers. These food types have a longer shelf-life making, saving you from the task of having to buy food for your fish frequently.
On the other hand, fresh or live food is refrigerated and cannot be stored for a long time. Thus, go for a type which is more convenient for you to store.
Flakes vs. Granules
Flakes are the food that floats on the surface of the water and is not suitable for the fish that swim at the bottom of the aquarium. However, granules or pellets are denser and can reach the bottom of the tank by dissolving after a short time. Thus, if you have an aquarium with a mixed variety of fish, go for dense granules that allow you to feed fish anywhere in the tank.
Flakes allow you to feed the fish swimming only on the surface while granules can be fed to fish at the surface, middle of the tank, and can also reach the bottom. Moreover, granules are smaller in size compared to pellets and can be easily fed to small fishes.
13 Best Fish Food
1. Hikari Cichlid Gold Fish Food – Our Pick
Hikari is a well-known specialty fish food brand that is manufactured by Kyorin Food Industries, Ltd. in Japan. The Hikari Chiclid Goldfish food comes in the form of floating pellets that dissolve slowly and will not pollute the water in the aquarium. This food is rich in nutrients and vitamins, making it a well balanced healthy diet that is loved by carnivores, especially Chichlids and Tropical fish.
It has enhanced the natural beauty of your fish and also can help in the color restoration of a washed out fish. These digestible and nutritious pellet are also rich in natural proteins making it our number one choice.
- It is available in three sizes- medium, baby, and mini.
- It is the floating pellet type that floats on the surface of the water column and sinks slowly.
- They are designed using special color enhancers and are rich in natural proteins, nutrients, and vitamin C.
- They are ideal for carnivores fish and can be fed two to three times daily.
- It is best suited for tropical fish and Cichlids, offering great taste and texture.
- It has the highest grade of carotenoid available.
- The pellets are easily digestible and offer improved growth through the maximum utilization of nutrients.
- It contains blended nutrients and vitamin C that support the immune system.
- The color enhancer ensures that the fish retain their natural beauty all year around.
- They can also help to restore the vivid coloration of the washed out specimen.
- It is a floating pellet that ensures that it does not cloud the water of the aquarium.
- It is quite expensive.
2. Taiyo Aini Fast Growth Fish Food
The Tayo Aini fish food is an ideal choice for tropical and goldfish because of its highly nutritious value. The ingredients help in the fast growth of your fish. It also comes with a color enhancing formula that enhances the natural color of the fish.
- Comes in a plastic container making it a great option for storage for a longer period of time.
- Weight: 330 grams.
- It comes with a free 33-gram container.
- Suitable for freshwater and tropical fish.
- Ingredients: white fish meal, shrimp meal, cornmeal, soybean meal, wheat flour, yeast, Biotin, yeast, B-Carotenoid, Lecithin, calcium, vitamins.
- Complete a nutritional diet for your fish.
- Color enhancing formula.
- The natural ingredients increase appetite.
- Accelerates growth.
- No negative points observed so far.
3. PetSutra Taiyo HI-Red Fish Food
The PetSutra Taiyo is the best to give to your Red Flower Horn Fish as it comes with special amino acids that bring out the red pigment and also enhances the formation of the head. It also promotes the growth of the fish while improving metabolism and health.
- Complete diet for HI-Red Flower Horn fish.
- Weight: 220 grams.
- It is a floating type of fish food.
- Contains special amino acids that bring out the red pigment and also enforces the formation of the head.
- Made using Spirulina, fish meal, wheat meal, shrimp meal, carotene, soya bean meal, and vitamins.
- Enhances the color and luster of the scale.
- Resolves digestive issues and enhances metabolism.
- Prevents water contamination and formation of cloud.
- Promotes growth.
- No negative points observed so far.
4. Taiyo Pluss Discovery Special Fish Food – Budget-Friendly Option
Taiyo Aquarium and Pet feed is a leading manufacturer and exporter of animal feed. This Taiyo Plus Discovery Special fish food is a premium quality floating type fish food that is suitable for all kinds of tropical fish and Koi. It comes at a reasonable price for a pack of 1 kg. The nutritionally balanced pellets enhance the color and beauty of the fish while promoting their growth.
- This is available in a 1 kg pack.
- It is a floating type of premium food.
- The fish food is suitable for all types of tropical fish and Koi.
- It is a complete and balanced nutritional staple food.
- The fish food is designed using color enhancers.
- It consists of 32% crude protein, 4% crude fat, 5% crude fiber, and 10% moisture.
- They float on the surface for a longer time and does not pollute or cloud the water.
- It is enriched with nutrients suitable for all kinds of tropical fish.
- The color enhancer ensures that the fish retains the natural beauty all year around.
- The quality of the product is good.
- The price of fish food is reasonable for its quantity.
- It enhances the growth of the fish in the aquarium.
- No negative points observed so far.
5. Taiyo Grow Fish Food – Reasonable Option for Faster Growth
Taiyo Fish food is the balanced staple diet to provide your tropical fish. The floating type pellets come in a small size, making it ideal for feeding small and medium size fishes. They do not pollute the water and are easy to digest. They are the most reasonable option that ensures that your fish remains healthy and grow faster.
- It is available in a pack of 100 grams and 500 grams.
- The floating pellets dissolve slowly and float for a longer time.
- The fish food is suitable for all tropical fish and Koi fish.
- It is in the shape of small micro pellets or granules.
- It ensures the faster growth of your fish.
- The floating granules do not cloud the water of the tank.
- The size of the pellets is small, making it easier to feed small fish.
- The fish food is easily digestive.
- It is scientifically designed to meet the dietary needs for maintaining the health and lustrous skin of the fish.
- The fish food does not dissolve, making it difficult to feed the fish that swim in the bottom of the tank.
6. TetraBits Complete Happy Fins Fish Food – Value for Money
The TetraBits Complete Fish food comes with a superior quality that meets the dietary requirements of fish like discus and other tropical fish. This is a fast-sinking pellet type food that can feed the fish swimming in the mid-water and bottom of the tank as well. It enhances the color and shape of the fish while also increasing their resistance against diseases. The price of the TetraBits Complete Happy Fins Fish Food is high but is worth it.
- It is available in a 375 g pack.
- This aquarium fish food is suitable for discus and other tropical fish.
- The ingredients of this food include- fish and fish derivatives, vegetable protein extract, cereals, derivatives of vegetable origin, mollusks and crustaceans, yeast, minerals, algae, oils, and fats
- It is a fast-sinking floating type fish food that is denser than flake foods.
- It contains all the required vitamins and minerals.
- This fish food sinks faster, making it suitable for a tank filled with a mixed community of fish as it can feed fish swimming in mid-water as well as the bottom.
- It is formulated especially to maintain the shape and color of the fish.
- It promotes the growth of the fish.
- The complete fish food increases the resistance against diseases associated with deficiency.
- It is expensive.
7. Taiyo Guppy Bit – Best Guppy Fish Food
The sepia NX Rider is available in two sizes medium and large. The shell is made of high-quality ABS material that meets all safety standards so that it protects your head from injuries. It has a padded interior with soft foam cushioning that ensures ventilation and comfort. Moreover, it comes with a peak shade to offer protection to your forehead from sunlight, while the clear visor enhances visibility.
- It has a unique aerodynamic and light-weight design.
- The shell is made of high-quality ABS.
- The inner portion is cushioned with soft foam for comfort.
- It features anti-scratch and anti-fog visor.
- It has a clear and wide visor.
- Comes with a peak shade for protecting your forehead from sunlight.
- It is well-ventilated.
- Available sizes: Medium (58 cm) and large (60 cm).
- Available in bold and bright colors.
- Suitable for road trips, everyday drives, and casual rides.
- Strong, sturdy, and durable design.
- Made of high-quality materials and meets all safety standards to protect your head from accidents and injuries.
- Ensures comfort and breathability.
- Ensures high visibility during rides because of its clear visor.
- No negative points observed so far.
8. Optimum Fish Food – Best Deal for All Aquarium Fish
The Optimum Fish food is pellets that are available in packs of 2 each of 200 grams. This provides a complete and balanced nutritious diet that can be fed to all aquarium fish types, including goldfish, fancy carp, swordtails, platies, mollies, angelfish, cichlids, anabantids and bettas. It reduces stress and increases the immune system of the fish while enhancing skin color and growth.
- The Optimum fish food is available in packs of two each of 200 grams.
- It is suitable for all aquarium fish species like goldfish, fancy carp, swordtails, platies, mollies, angelfish, cichlids, anabantids, and bettas.
- It is enriched with vitamin C and vitamin E.
- It contains a carotenoid pigment known as astaxanthin.
- The pigment enhances the natural color of the aquarium fish.
- It is rich in vitamin C and E that help reduce stress and increase immunity.
- It provides complete nutrition to the fish.
- The pellets do not foul the water.
- It enhances the growth of fish.
- No negative points observed so far.
9. Qian Hu Humpy Head Fish Food – The Head Growth Enhancer
The Quan Hu Humpy Head Aquarium Fish food comprises of medium and large pellets making it ideal for the small and large fish of flower horn breeds. It contains a special head growth enhancing ingredient that ensures faster growth of the head of your flower horn fish along with contouring its shape after constant feeding. This is a great choice for your aquarium filled with the flower horn fish breed.
- It consists of medium and large pellets.
- The product is suitable for flower horn breeds.
- The ingredients of the food include fish protein, quality white fish meal, krill, spirulina, wheat germ, dried yeast, wheat flour, Antarctic shrimps, protease, stable multivitamin and mineral, lecithin, immune substance, calcium, enzyme, and organic minerals.
- It has to be stored in a cool, dry place.
- It has a special head growth enhancing ingredient.
- The small fish should be fed 2-3 times daily, while large fish should be fed 2 times in a quantity that can be consumed in 2-5 minutes.
- Its high protein content induces speedy head growth for all flower horn breeds.
- Fish food ensures a faster growth rate.
- The shape of the head is also improved with constant feeding.
- The high content of Spirulina and Krill extracts with natural color enhancing elements improves the fish’s sparkle dots in 1-2 weeks.
- A special immune substance is added to increase your fish’s resistance against diseases.
- No negative points observed so far.
10. Ocean Free AR-G2 Pro Fish Food – The Natural Fish Color Enhancer
The Ocean Free AR-G2 is explicitly formulated to meet the dietary needs and suit the carnivores digestive system of the bony Arowana fish. The pellets are palatable and are capable of increasing the food conversion rate for faster growth and fin elongation of the fish. It is free from artificial colors and uses the natural organic source to improve the pigmentation of the Arowana. This keeps the natural beauty of your fish intact while enhancing the shine and luster of its skin.
- The fish food is available in a pack of 250 grams.
- The Ocean Free is a daily feed floating type fish food.
- It is enriched with optiar-x that is a metabolic enhancer.
- It is a pure animal protein feed formulated specifically to suit the carnivores digestive system of an Arowana.
- There is no artificial coloring or enhancer added.
- It is made using natural organic sources.
- The fish food is highly palatable.
- The metabolic enhancer ensures a boost of growth, fin elongation, and body shaping of the Arowana.
- It is easily digestible, enhancing the faster growth of the fish.
- The pellets fortify the immune system of the Arowana hence enhancing the health and increasing resistance against parasitic sickness.
- It enhances the Arowana’s color pigments using natural organic sources.
- The pellets are too small.
11. Fifozon Dry Fish Seafood – The Best Freeze-Dried Fish Food
The Fifozon Dry Fish Seafood comes in a pack weighing 250 grams consisting of live food, namely tiny baby shrimp that has been frozen and then dried under the sun, which is a great food for fish. This fish food is completely pure and natural without any artificial color or salts.
- The net weight of the product is 250 grams.
- It is a freeze-dried type of fish food.
- The food is baby shrimps dried under the sun.
- The product has a shelf-life of 6 months.
- It contains approximately 68.4 g of protein and 3.4 g of fat per 100 g.
- It is natural and does not contain artificial color, sugar, or salt.
- The fish food is suitable for fish like Oscars, parrot, and mono angels.
- It is rich in protein, ensuring the growth and development of the fish.
- The food is pure and natural without any artificial colors.
- It has a long shelf-life and can be easily stored by refrigerating or by keeping it in air-tight containers.
- Few fish breeds might not like it.
12. Hello Pet’s Fish Food – The Good Quality Freeze-Dried Fish Food
This Freeze-Dried fish food consists of dried blood worms where the moisture is removed under vacuum at sub-zero temperatures. The product is suitable for all tropical fish, goldfish, marine fish, and turtle. It has a high protein content that helps in the pre-biotic growth of the fish while also enhancing the immune system. Moreover, it has no smell and does not contaminate the water.
- Size of the product: 55 g.
- It is an ideal choice for all types of tropical fish, goldfish, marine fish, and turtle.
- It is consists of freeze-dried bloodworms.
- The moisture is removed from it under vacuum at sub-zero temperatures.
- It is made using natural ingredients.
- The fish food contains approximately 52% Crude protein, 12% crude fat, 2% crude fiber, 12% ash, and 5% moisture.
- It has a long shelf-life of 24 months.
- It has good quality and is high in protein.
- Fish food enhances the shape of the fish.
- It helps in the pre-biotic growth along with enhancing the immunity of the fish.
- The complete and nutritional staple food increases the appetite of the fish.
- It has to be washed thoroughly before feeding.
13. Jainsons pet products Toya Growth Shrimp – Best for Small Fish
The Toya Growth food consists of small size floating granules that can be fed 2-3 times daily and can be eaten within just 2-3 minutes. The complete and nutritionally balanced diet is ideal for smaller fishes because of its granule size. Moreover, it is enriched with catotene that also enhances the beauty of your fish while promoting growth and maintaining overall health.
- The net weight is 750 g.
- The ingredients used are white fish meal, soya bean meals, rice, bran, wheat flour, cornmeal, vegetable protein extract, leithin, vegetable oil, vitamin, significant minerals, and trace elements.
- It contains 32% crude protein, 4%crude fat and 3% crude fiber.
- They are floating type small size granules.
- It can be fed 2-3 times daily and can be eaten in just 2-3 minutes.
- It is enriched with catotene.
- Fish food is enriched with vitamins A, C, and E.
- The color enhancing formula enhances the color of the fish while ensuring its natural beauty.
- It is a complete nutritional diet to provide your fish.
- The small size makes it suitable for small fish.
- No negative points observed so far.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best live fish food for your fish?
The best live fish to feed your fish would be Brine Shrimp. You can give the newly hatched Brine Shrimp to small fish while the adult Brine shrimps are suitable for mature aquarium fish. On the other hand, water fleas and Daphnia are also great for fry fish as they are a great source of Vitamin A and D.
2. Goldfish eat tropical fish food?
Yes, goldfish can eat tropical fish food as they can be a balanced diet. For example, the Taiyo Aini Fast Growth Fish food is suitable for tropical and goldfish.
3. Do fishes have taste buds?
Fishes do have taste buds on their tongue, and the fins present on the exterior of their body. They can easily distinguish between sweet, sour, salty, and bitter.
4. Do fish need to be fed daily?
Yes, fishes need to be fed daily, depending on their species. However, it is important to ensure that you don’t overfeed them. Herbivores need to be fed much more frequently than the nocturnal fish, which needs to be fed only once at night. Most fishes can be fed lightly two times a day.
It is the responsibility of the pet owner to take care of the needs of his or her pet. This is no different for an owner of an aquarium filled fish. You need to provide a staple diet to your fish that is complete and balanced with nutrients to enhance its beauty, growth while maintaining the overall health.
The market is flooded with multiple fish food products, and this article hopes to have helped all the new fish aquarium owners in making the right choice while purchasing fish food for your fish.
We come to the end of this article. Follow the types of fish food, and the buyer’s guide provided to know more about fish food. You can also purchase it from the top ten list of fish food reviewed by us, our number one choice being the Hikari Cichlid Goldfish Food. Taiyo Aini Fast Growth Fish Food also makes a great choice due to its appropriate sizing and non-polluting water feature.