Cat Litter Box
Cats are cute furry pets that are loved by any animal lover. While it is important to provide your cat with food and treats, she also requires a place to excrete. There are many items included in cat litter essentails but cat litter boxes play a vital role.
So, what is a cat litter box? Well, it is a box or a pan designed for cats for the collection of its feces and urine. These boxes are also referred to as litter tray, cat box, cat pan and litter pan. It is also important to have litter box for kittens and train them from start. There are different types of cat litter boxes which you can read about in the next section of this article.
We provide an insight to the importance of a cats litter box. This is followed by a comprehensive buyer’s guide for all new cat owners that explains the factors you need to consider before purchasing a litter box for your cat.
If you are searching for an ideal litter box for your cat you can go through the detailed review of our top six cat litter boxes. We have also provided the links to purchase them from amazon along with the answers to some of the most Frequently Asked Questions.
Top 6 Cat Litter Box
Best Top Entry Litter Box
Best Hooded Litter Box
Good Quality On a Budget
Best Self-Cleaning Litter Box
Best Trainer Litter Box
Importance of Cat Litter Boxes
Cats are very private animals. A cat litter box helps in providing your cat a private space to urinate or eliminate feces. This is the best option if you do not wish to let your cat roam outdoors on their own in order to prevent dangers such as traffic. Thus, this product allows your cat to relieve themselves without having to go outside.
Cats are very clean animals and a cat litter box allows them to remain clean. Moreover, cats have an instinctive desire to use their paw in a backward sweeping motion to cover the faces. For this reason, the cat litter boxes are filled with granular type cat litter that also absorbs moisture and odor.
A trained cat will always go to the litter box to eliminate waste. This also keeps your house clean with no litter tracking. They are later easily cleaned by scooping out the waste either manually or automatically depending on the type of the cat litter box.
Types of Cat Litter Boxes
Open Litter Pans
These are the most common types of litter boxes for cat that are available shaped in the form of a rectangular tray with slopes in the outward direction. These pans are made using plastic and allow maximum ventilation for your cat to breathe comfortably.
These are the most inexpensive types of cat litter boxes. They often come with detachable rims. The waste collected is then scooped out of the box as it is much more visible than other boxes.
Hooded Litter Boxes
These litter boxes are constructed using plastic and have a design which includes a hood or cover that is meant to cover the litter pan and the cat waste. Your pet cat can easily enter the box through the opening in the hood. It gives your pet privacy while also making the litter less visible.
You need to open the cover to scoop out the waste along with cleaning and changing the litter.
Top-entry litter box
These boxes have an entry or opening on top of the litter box. Your cat would have to climb on top of the box to eliminate waste into a hole. These are ideal for kittens and cats with a good physical health but are not recommended for elderly cats or cats that are obese.
These litter boxes are also designed to include grates on the opening so that the litter or waste that might be present on your cat’s paw falls back into the box. This prevents the litter or waste from spreading all over your house.
Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
These litter boxes are automatic litter boxes that have an electric combing mechanism to scoop the waste out of the box into a sealed disposable bag. They usually come with pressure pads, infrared lights to determine when the cat has left the box. This ensures that it starts the cleaning process without disturbing the cat’s privacy.
There are other designs as well which consists of enclosed spheres where the waste is deposited into the bottom compartment after rotation
Buyer’s Guide for Cat Litter Boxes
There are different types of cat litter boxes available which we have discussed about in the beginning of this article. If you are looking for reasonable options go for an open litter box which are very common in every household. However, if budget is not a problem and you want a litter box with the least amount of manual labor during the cleaning process, go for a self-cleaning litter box.
It is important to decide on the type of the litter box before you make a purchase. If you wish to provide your cat the privacy she looks for, go for a hooded or top entry litter box.
The size is the second factor that you need to consider before making a purchase. Ensure that the size of the cat litter box is as per that of your cat. It should have ample space for your cat to move around freely. Moreover, the lid should have an opening large enough to allow your cat to have easy access for entry and exit.
The material of the cat litter box should be of a good quality plastic that is safe and non-toxic. It should be durable, scratch resistant that ensures that the litter box lasts for a longer time. Go for a non-stick plastic material as it prevents litter from sticking to it.
Easy to Clean
The cat litter box should be easy to clean. The non-stick plastic litter boxes will prevent litter from sticking to it. This makes it easier to clean using soap and water.
You can also go for litter boxes with hoods or rims that are easily removable so that you can scoop out the waste and dispose it. Try to go for a product that comes with a free scoop. You can also go for a self-cleaning litter box that can clean itself with very little manual labor.
Go for a litter box that comes with removable rims and raised sides. This prevents litter or waste from scattering around the house. It ensures that your surroundings is kept clean and tidy.
Go for a box that is light-weight and can be moved easily. This allows you to place it at a convenient spot at home. Moreover, an easily movable box also helps you in disposing off the waste much more easily.
1. Savic Iriz Cat Litter Tray with Rim Retro – Our Choice
The Savic Iriz Cat Litter Tray is an open litter tray that comes with a removable rim. This rim prevents the waste or litter from spreading and helps keeping your home clean. It has a modern and light-weight design with low entry height making it easily accessible by your cat especially, kittens. Moreover, this product is made of high quality materials and has a long life.
This product comes with great features and is available in a very reasonable price making it our number one choice!
- It is an open litter tray.
- Available in two sizes- 17 inches and 20 inches.
- Comes in different color options- grey, retro blue, lemon green, retro brown and retro pink.
- Has a modern design with removable rims.
- Made using high-quality materials.
- It has a light-weight design.
- The tray has a low entry height which allows easy access for your cat.
- The rim comes with a cat paw pattern that prevents litter from flying around and helps keep the surrounding area clean.
- It is easy to clean as the waste can be scooped out easily using the cat litter scoops.
- The litter tray bags increases the lifetime of the tray.
- The bags prevent urine sediments and unpleasant odors inside the litter tray.
- It is small in size. Hence, not suitable for adult cats.
2. Savic Hop-In Modern Cat Litter Tray – Best Top Entry Litter Box
The Savic Hop-In Modern Cat Litter Tray is a Top Entry Litter box that is suitable for all large cats. It has a lid with a large opening that allows easy entry. The tray has raised sides that prevent the litter or waste from scattering around the house. It also keeps it out of the reach of dogs.
The litter box is sturdy, made of good quality material and is easy to clean. It ensures complete privacy to your cat while also keeping your surroundings clean and tidy. If you have a cat that stands pee, pee backwards or likes to scatter, this top entry litter box is the best option.
- This is a top entry litter box.
- Dimensions of this product- 58.50 cm x 39.00 cm x 39.50 cm.
- Available in two color options- Anthracite and Mocca.
- It is recommended for cats that stand to pee, pee backward or like to scatter.
- Comes with raised sides that keep the litter, liquid, and dirt inside the tray.
- It has a large opening on the lid that allows easy access.
- It has a hook on the outside to hang the litter scoop.
- It is helpful for those who own both cats and dogs as it keeps the litter and wastes out of the reach of dogs.
- The area around the litter box remains clean because of the sloping lid that makes the litter fall through the small holes back inside, as the cat leaves the tray.
- It is ideal for large cats since the lid has a large opening for easy access.
- Daily cleaning and scooping out of the waste from this litter box is simple and the handles in the base make it easy to move and empty the tray.
- It is a bit expensive.
3. Savic Nestor Cat Toilet Home – Best Hooded Litter Box
The Savic Nestor Cat Toilet Home is a blue color hooded litter box that has a sturdy, durable and good quality build. It has a swing opening that allows average to large cats to enter and exit from this box easily. It has an active carbon filter and comes with raised sides that prevent waste from littering your home. Your cat is ensured proper ventilation and privacy.
- This is a hooded litter box.
- Color of this product- twilight blue.
- It comes with a transparent hood that allows you to know when your cat is inside.
- It has an active carbon filter.
- The swing flap allows average to large cats to get in and out easily.
- Comes with a handle.
- The top of the litter box is designed with slit-like openings for proper ventilation.
- The raised sides prevent leakages, keeping your surroundings clean.
- Easy and quick to clean.
- It has a sturdy and good quality build.
- As per a user, the plastic bottom cracked when slipped from hand.
4. Pets Empire Cat Litter Box – Good Quality On a Budget
If you are under a budget this is the best option to go for. This is a open litter tray from Pet Empire. It has rim that prevent leakage of waste or litter and allows easy entry for your cat.
The best part is that it is made using a good quality non-stick plastic that prevents the litter from sticking, making it easy to clean. Moreover, the plastic used is scratch resistant and durable. This is the perfect example of quality on a budget.
- It is an open litter tray.
- Available in different color options like blue and peach.
- Dimensions- 18 inch length x 15.5 inch width x 4 inch height.
- Comes with a free scoop for easy cleaning.
- Made of non-stick plastic.
- Compatible with all types of litter.
- The product is durable.
- The non-stick plastic prevents litter from sticking making it easy to clean.
- It has enough space for a large cat.
- Prevents scattering of litter or waste.
- The sides allow easy access for all cats.
- No scratches on the surface after use.
- The size is a bit small as per users.
5. Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box – Best Self-Cleaning Litter Box
This litter box from Omega Paw is a Self-cleaning litter box that is suitable for large or multiple cats. It requires very little manual labor. You only need to roll the box to the right until the top touches the floor then roll it back to the upright position. This is ideal for large cat litter box.
The rest is done by the unique patented screen in the interior that separates the clean litter from the waste which is put into the scoop. You just need to pull out the scoop and dispose of the waste. It’s that easy to clean!
- This is a self-cleaning litter box.
- Works best with clumping and silica litters.
- Ideal for large cats or multiple cats.
- It cleans by simply rolling.
- Comes in a brown taupe color.
- No electricity or filters needed for cleaning.
- Comes with a unique patented screen in the interior that separates the clean litter from the clumped waste.
- It is very easy to clean with very little manual labor.
- It controls dust and odor.
- The opening allows easy access to your cat.
- It is very expensive.
6. JAINSONS PET PRODUCTS Indoor Plastic Puppies/Cat Toilet Potty Litter Trainer Box – Best Trainer Litter Box
This is an open litter box that comes with a pallet made of non-toxic, safe and tasteless plastic. It is the best option for training your cat in using it as a place to eliminate its waste. The tray allows easy walk-in access to your cat.
The tray is one of the safest litter boxes to have in your home because of its antibacterial material and extraordinary antibacterial deodorant effect that prevents breeding of bacteria. Hence, it keeps your family safe as well.
- Product dimensions- 39.5 × 41 ×15 cm.
- Material used for construction of pallet- PP plastic that is non-toxic and tasteless.
- Has antibacterial material and an extraordinary antibacterial deodorant effect.
- Suitable for training cats.
- It allows easy walk-in access to your cat.
- Ideal for cats and puppies.
- Prevents breeding of bacteria that might cause harm to your family.
- Safe and durable to use.
- The surface is smooth, non-toxic and tasteless.
- It has high strength and a non-slip base.
- It is corrosion resistant.
- No such cons were mentioned.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What should you use to clean the litter box?
After scooping out the litter and waste from the tray you need to wash it using soap and water. Avoid using ammonia or bleach as the smell will make your pet avoid using the litter box as they are sensitive to smell.
2. How often should you clean the cat litter box?
You need to clean your litter box daily to avoid having to change the litter frequently. The litter must be changed at least twice a week or every after one week depending on the requirement.
3. Can Cat share litter boxes?
Cats are private creatures. Thus, two or more cats sharing a cat litter box is not a great idea. There should be one litter box for each cat. However, certain litter boxes may be designed for multi-cat use.
Cat litter boxes allow your cat to excrete in privacy while also ensuring that your surroundings remain clean and tidy. It also prevents the breeding of bacteria. Thus, keeping your family safe.
We have provided all the necessary information regarding cat litter boxes which every cat owner should know. There are different types of litter boxes with which the market is flooded. This might make choosing a litter box for your cat a tedious task. This article hopes to help you make the right choice.
We come to the end of this article. Before making a purchase you are advised to go through the buyer’s guide provided by us. It explains the important factors which you need to consider while buying a cat litter box. You can easily choose any of the products mentioned in the list of top six cat litter boxes.
If you are looking for a open litter box in a reasonable price go for our number one choice- The Savic Iriz Cat Litter Tray with Rim Retro. You can also go for the Omega Paw Self-Cleaning Litter Box if you require a self-cleaning litter box with very little manual labor.