Best Cat Litter Boxes
The cuteness and innocent smiles of your cats easily melt your hearts, and we hardly think twice before pampering them with various treats. Similarly, it’s equally important to maintain hygiene and cleanliness around your cute cats.
Notwithstanding your love for your cats and kittens, you don’t want them to spread their excreta in your house. Thus, a cat litter box comes into the picture.
A cat litter box is among cat-care essentials that help you to maintain a heightened level of cleanliness. It provides a place for your cats to excrete and collect their faeces and urine.
You can easily potty train your young kitten to use the litter box. There are different types of cat litter boxes you can read about in this article’s next section.
Top 7 Cat Litter Boxes in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
Best Top Entry Litter Box
Best Top Entry Litter Box
Best for odour control
Best Hooded Litter Box
Good Quality On a Budget
Best Trainer Litter Box
Importance of Cat Litter Boxes
Cats are very private animals. A cat litter box helps in providing your cat with a personal space to urinate or eliminate faeces.
This is the best option if you do not wish to let your cat roam outdoors on their own to prevent dangers such as traffic and other animals.
Thus, this product allows your cat to relieve themselves without having to go outside.
Cats are very clean animals, and a cat litter box allows them to remain clean and tidy. Moreover, cats have an inherent desire to use their paw in a backward sweeping motion to cover the faces.
For this reason, the cat litter boxes are filled with granular type cat litter that also absorbs moisture and odour. A trained cat will always go to the litter box to eliminate waste.
This also keeps your house clean with no litter tracking. They are later easily cleaned by scooping out the debris manually or automatically depending on the cat litter box type.
Types of Cat Litter Boxes
Open Litter Pans
These are the most common types of litter boxes for the cat that is available shaped in a rectangular tray with slopes in the outward direction.
These pans are made using plastic and allow maximum ventilation for your cat to breathe comfortably.
These are the most inexpensive types of cat litter boxes. They often come with detachable rims. The waste collected is then scooped out of the box as it is much more visible than other boxes.
Hooded Litter Boxes
These litter boxes are constructed using plastic and have a design that includes a hood or cover meant to cover the litter pan and the cat waste.
Your pet cat can quickly enter the box through the opening in the hood. It gives your pet privacy while also making the litterless visible.
You need to open the cover to scoop out the waste, along with cleaning and changing the litter.
Top-entry litter box
These boxes have an entry or opening on top of the litter box. Your cat would have to climb on top of the box to eliminate waste into a hole.
These are ideal for kittens and cats with good physical health but are not recommended for elderly cats or cats that are obese.
These litter boxes are also designed to include grates on the opening so that the litter or waste that might be present on your cat’s paw falls back into the box. This prevents litter or waste from spreading all over your house.
Self-Cleaning Litter Boxes
These litter boxes are automatic litter boxes with an electric combing mechanism to scoop the waste out of the box into a sealed disposable bag.
They usually come with pressure pads, infrared lights to determine when the cat has left the box. This ensures that it starts the cleaning process without disturbing the cat’s privacy.
There are other designs, consisting of enclosed spheres where the waste is deposited into the bottom compartment after rotation.
Buyer’s Guide for Cat Litter Boxes
The height of the box is an essential factor to be considered while buying litter boxes. Your cat’s personality and condition will show what size would be the best.
The best height of the box should be around 5–7,” which is best preferred by cats.
Cats are very particular about the shape, size, and design of their litter box. If they do not find it comfortable in looks, they will find some other places to poop.
Do not always buy a single box, purchase multiple boxes, and place it in your house. It will give you an idea about which style your cats prefer.
Enclosed or open-top
There is no definite answer to this. It depends on your cat. Some prefer enclosed, and some don’t. If you are buying an enclosed litter box, the opening should be big enough for the cats to move around.
There are different types of cat litter boxes available, which we have discussed at the beginning of this article. If you are looking for reasonable options, go for an open litter box, which is very common in every household.
However, if budget is not a problem and you want a litter box with the least amount of manual labour during the cleaning process, go for a self-cleaning litter box.
It is essential to decide on the type of litter box before you make a purchase. If you wish to provide your cat with the privacy, she looks for, goes for a hooded or top entry litter box.
The size is another factor that you need to consider before making a purchase. Ensure that the size of the cat litter box is as per that of your cat.
It should have ample space for your cat to move around freely. Moreover, the lid should have an opening large enough to allow your cat to have easy entry and exit access.
The cat litter box’s material should be of a good quality plastic that is safe and non-toxic. It should be durable, scratch-resistant that ensures that the litter box lasts for a longer time.
Go for a non-stick plastic material as it prevents litter from sticking to it.
Easy to Clean
The cat litter box should be easy to clean. The non-stick plastic litter boxes will prevent litter from sticking to it. This makes it easier to clean, using soap and water.
You can also go for litter boxes with hoods or rims that are easily removable so that you can scoop out the waste and dispose of it.
Try to go for a product that comes with a free scoop. You can also go for a self-cleaning litter box that can clean itself with very little manual labour.
Go for a litter box that comes with removable rims and raised sides. This prevents litter or waste from scattering around the house. It ensures that your surroundings are kept clean and tidy.
A box that is light-weight and can be moved easily. This allows you to place it at a convenient spot at home. Moreover, an easily movable box also helps you in disposing of the waste much more easily.
1. Savic Cat Litter Tray
The Savic Iriz cat litter tray is an open litter tray that comes with a removable rim. This rim prevents the waste or litter from spreading and helps to keep your home clean.
It has a modern and light-weight design with low entry height making it easily accessible by your cat especially, kittens. Moreover, this product is made of high-quality materials and has a long life.
This product comes with great features and is available at a very reasonable price.
- It is an open litter tray
- Available in two sizes- 17 inches and 20 inches.
- Comes in different colour options- grey, retro blue, lemon green, retro brown, and retro pink
- Has a modern design with removable rims
- It is made using high-quality materials
- It has a light-weight design
- The tray has a low entry height, which allows easy access for your cat
- It is easy to clean as the waste can be scooped out easily using the cat litter scoops
- Comes with litter tray bags that increase the lifetime of the tray
- Can be easily moved around and cleaned
- It is small in size. Hence, not suitable for adult cats.
2. Moderna Step Cat Litter Tray
Moderna step cat litter tray features a comfortable and modern design. It is an excellent litter tray box for your cats and kittens alike.
It is an open-top litter box that is packed with lots of features for making your cats comfortable. It is constructed using premium quality plastic that is safe for your cats.
- This cat litter box measures 57.4 cm in length x 42.7 cm in width x 25.5 cm in height
- It features a modern design and perforated step area that keeps the inside sand and tracking to the minimum levels
- It comes with a raised backside that helps in keeping dirt, litter, and liquids inside the box
- It features side clamps that allow convenient removal of the rim for fixing liner bags
- It is prepared from premium quality BPA-free plastics that provide long-lasting usage
- It is a lightweight litter box that weighs 500 grams
- It provides easy cleaning as you can wash it with warm soapy water
- It is spacious enough for collecting the litter
- It is a safe and durable plastic litter box for your cats
- It effectively prevents the breeding of microbes like bacteria
- It provides convenient access for your cats and kittens
- It comes with a deep litter bed that ensures litter sticks there, and nothing reaches the bottom of the tray
- It is a portable litter box that can be easily carried around
- Its unique design prevents the scattering of litter
- The side clips are not sturdier enough and may come off
3. Savic Cat Litter Box
The Savic Hop-In Modern cat litter tray is suitable for all large cats. It has a lid with a large opening that allows easy entry.
The tray has raised sides that prevent the litter or waste from scattering around the house. This also keeps it out of the reach of dogs.
The litter box is sturdy, made of good quality material, and is easy to clean. It ensures complete privacy to your cat while also keeping your surroundings clean and tidy.
- Dimensions of this product- 58.50 cm x 39.00 cm x 39.50 cm
- It is recommended for cats that stand to pee, pee backwards, or like to scatter
- Comes with raised sides that keep the litter, liquid, and dirt inside the tray
- It has a large opening on the lid that allows easy access
- It has a hook on the outside to hang the litter scoop
- It is helpful for those who own both cats and dogs as it keeps the litter and wastes out of the reach of dogs
- The area around the litter box remains clean because of the sloping lid that makes the litter fall through the small holes back inside, as the cat leaves the tray
- It is ideal for large cats since the lid has a large opening for easy access
- Daily cleaning and scooping out of the waste from this litter box is simple, and the handles in the base make it easy to move and empty the tray.
- It is a bit expensive.
4. Moderna Cat Litter Box
Moderna Flip cat litter tray box is a good option for your cats to use. It comes with a lot of features to make your pets comfortable.
It is made up of a premium quality product that is safe for your cats. The doors with it are removable if your cats do not like it.
- The product dimension is 50 x 39 x 37 cm
- This cat litter box is made up of premium quality BPA free long-lasting plastic, which becomes safe for your pets without any health issues
- It comes with two clever clip-locks that keep the litter box secure and safe
- The doors are made up of translucent material for added privacy
- The top can be flipped to half the depth
- It is equipped with a handle that makes it easy to carry, and it can also be hidden when not in use
- It is easily maintainable and easy to clean using warm and soapy water
- To reduce odour problems, it comes along with a scoop and charcoal filter
- It gives your cats enough amount of space to move around freely
- If your cats do not like the doors, they can easily be removed
- No negative points observed so far
5. Savic Cat Toilet
The Savic Nestor Cat Toilet Home is a hooded litter box with a sturdy, durable, and good quality build. It has a swing opening that easily allows average to large cats to enter and exit from this box.
It has an active carbon filter and comes with raised sides that prevent waste from littering your home. Your cat is ensured proper ventilation and privacy.
- This is a hooded litter box
- It comes with a transparent hood that allows you to know when your cat is inside
- It has an active carbon filter
- The swing flap allows average to large cats to get in and out easily
- Comes with a handle
- The top of the litter box is designed with slit-like openings for proper ventilation
- The raised sides prevent leakages, keeping your surroundings clean
- Easy and quick to clean
- It has a sturdy and good quality build
- The plastic bottom may crack if dropped
6. Pets Empire Cat Litter Box
If you are on a low budget, this is the best option to go for. This is an open litter tray from Pet Empire. It has a rim that prevents leakage of waste or litter and allows easy entry for your cat.
The best part is that it is made using a good quality non-stick plastic that prevents the litter from sticking, making it easy to clean.
Moreover, the plastic used is scratch-resistant and durable. This is the perfect example of the quality on a budget.
- It is an open litter tray
- Available in different colour options
- It weighs 450 gms
- Comes with a free scoop for easy cleaning
- Made of non-stick plastic
- Compatible with all types of litter
- The product is durable
- The non-stick plastic prevents litter from sticking, making it easy to clean
- Prevents scattering of litter or waste
- The sides allow easy access for all cats
- No scratches on the surface after use
- The size is small
7. Jainsons Cat Litter Trainer Box
This is an open litter box that comes with a pallet made of non-toxic, safe, and tasteless plastic. It is the best option for training your cat in using it as a place to eliminate its waste. The tray allows easy walk-in access to your cat.
The tray is one of the safest litter boxes to have in your home because of its antibacterial material and the extraordinary antibacterial deodorant effect that prevents bacteria breeding.
Hence, it keeps your family safe, as well.
- Product dimensions- 39.5 × 41 ×15 cm
- The material used for the construction of pallet- PP plastic that is non-toxic and tasteless
- Has antibacterial material and an extraordinary antibacterial deodorant effect
- Suitable for training cats
- It allows easy walk-in access to your cat
- Ideal for cats and puppies
- Prevents breeding of bacteria that might cause harm to your family
- Safe and durable to use
- The surface is smooth, non-toxic, and tasteless
- It has high strength and a non-slip base
- It is corrosion-resistant
- May not be suitable for adult cats since the size is small
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who should buy a cat litter box?
Those who love to keep a pet(cats) at home and want that cat to stay healthy and clean and keep their house clean from cat litter, should buy a cat litter box.
2. What is a self-cleaning cat litter box?
A self-cleaning cat litter box is a new addition to the market for all the pet lovers. You do not have to scoop out the litter.
Just plug in the box and watch it clean itself. The automatic rake system removes all the litter towards the covered compartment 20 minutes after the cat has pooped.
3. Do cats prefer open or closed litter boxes?
There is no definite answer to it.
Some cats prefer open litter boxes, and others don’t. So feel free to test which litter box becomes comfortable for your cat. The go-through in a closed litter box should not be too small for your cats to go inside.
4. What is the best cat litter for odour control?
The best cat litter for odor control is Moderna Flip Cat Litter Tray Box, as it has a scoop and charcoal filter, which prevents odour.
5. What should you use to clean the litter box?
After scooping out the litter and waste from the tray, you need to wash it using soap and water.
Avoid using ammonia or bleach as the smell will make your pet avoid using the litter box as they are sensitive to smell.
6. How often should you clean the cat litter box?
You need to clean your litter box daily to avoid having to change the litter frequently. The litter must be changed at least twice a week or every after one week, depending on the requirement.
7. Can cats share litter boxes?
Not usually. Cats are private creatures. Thus, two or more cats sharing a cat litter box is not a great idea. There should be one litter box for each cat. However, certain litter boxes may be designed for multi-cat use.
A cat litter box helps you to maintain hygienic and clean surroundings in your house. It gives private space for your cats to excrete and remain healthy.
The cat litter box is designed for easy cleaning, and it also prevents the breeding of bacteria. A cat litter box helps you better manage your cats’ lifestyles and gives them the dignity they deserve as a proud animal.
Gifting a cat litter box to your cats is one of the ways of reciprocating your love for them. Our top picks are the Moderna step cat litter tray, Savic Iriz cat litter box, and Savic Hop-in cat litter tray.