Carbon Monoxide Poisoning – Detection And Prevention Tips
Inhaling carbon monoxide is lethal. The common understanding is that carbon monoxide is emitted only by automobiles. However, one could be exposed to this gas in a variety of ways. As the risk level is very high, it is crucial to detect carbon monoxide poisoning at the right time and to prevent it.
Sources of Carbon Monoxide
If you think that your home is the safest place and by locking yourself within the four walls you can protect yourself from carbon monoxide, you are wrong. Your home could have many carbon monoxide sources.
Some of the most common household appliances could turn out to be the sources of carbon monoxide. Without your knowledge, you could be taking in carbon monoxide leaked from various devices installed in your house.
The following appliances could be potential threats – gas stoves, furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces, and motor vehicles. Even tobacco smoke could be harmful in this regard. All the automobiles are also risky sources of carbon monoxide.
All along, you would have been using one or more of these devices without realizing the potential threats. Now that it has come to your attention, you need to ensure that there is no carbon monoxide leakage in your house.
Air Conditioners And Carbon Monoxide
One of the questions that people have regarding carbon monoxide poisoning is whether their AC or air conditioning systems are safe when it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning. Your AC units do not produce carbon monoxide.
To produce carbon monoxide, the device under question should burn one or the other form of fuel such as coal, gas, oil, or wood. As long as your AC unit is not powered by burning any of these fuels, you are safe.
How To Detect A Carbon Monoxide Leakage?
Are you afraid that there could be carbon monoxide leakage in your house? You could install carbon monoxide detectors.
These detectors will sound an alarm once the carbon monoxide level in the indoor environment goes beyond safe levels. This is the easiest and the best way to detect carbon monoxide leakage in your house.
Symptoms That You Are Likely To Experience If There Is Carbon Monoxide Leakage
When you inhale carbon monoxide, your body could send out strong signals in a number of ways. Here are the most common symptoms. You or your family members could experience one or more of these symptoms – headache, dizziness, nausea, shortness of breath, and fatigue.
These symptoms are not exclusive to carbon monoxide poisoning. So it is easy to mistake these symptoms for something else. Low-level exposure to carbon monoxide could have flu-like symptoms.
If you are feeling better when you are out of your house and have this pattern of experiencing any of these symptoms once you are back home, you have a very good reason to suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Increasing the ventilation level in the house will certainly help. Poor ventilation and carbon monoxide leakage could prove to be a very bad combination.
Avoid burning charcoal in closed spaces – barbeques should strictly be planned outdoors.
Installing an exhaust fan will go a long way in protecting you and your family from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Keep your gas appliances well maintained. A blue flame is an indicator of good appliance health. The yellow flame is bad.
If you have installed a carbon monoxide detector, never ignore the alarm. Timely help can save you from unnecessary health risks.
Avoid using gas equipment for home heating needs.
Never leave your car ignition turned on inside your garage. If you need to perform any maintenance or repair tasks, handle them in an outdoor environment.
If you are using brush cutters or lawnmowers, do not check them indoors.
Carbon monoxide poisoning, if not attended to at the right time, could result in serious health risks. You need not be paranoid just because many of your home appliances could be sources of carbon monoxide.
We have been using all these home appliances for decades without any serious risk or danger. You just need to ensure that your devices get the required care and attention regularly. Well-maintained home appliances are safe for use.