The 6 Best Window Fans – Complete Guide
Who doesn’t enjoy a cool breeze on a hot and humid day while sitting in their room? Window fans are the perfect choice to enjoy that lovely gently breeze while relaxing at home on a summer’s day.
They have several advantages of fans and ACs as they are not that expensive and can be fitted conveniently wherever a window is located. Window fans have become a popular choice for their compact sizes and different functions that fans do not have.
In this review, you will read about the benefits of using a window fan, window fans working, pros and cons, How to clean the window fan, its types available, a comprehensive buyers guide, a list of 6 best window fans and a step by step installation of window fans.
6 Best Window Fans in India
Key Benefits of Using Window Fans:
Maintains Room Temperature
Since the fans keep on rotating to remove stale air from inside and bring fresh air from outside, the room temperature remains moderate due to the constant circulation of air. It gives you the feel of the airy and breezy atmosphere.
In case of power failure or cut off, window fans could be a backup instead of air conditioners.
The power consumption of window fans is very less as compared to that of AC. Thus, it saves energy and money.
Gets rid of Flies
In countries like India, where you face problems of flies and mosquitoes, fans get rid of these problems by making the room windy and breezy.
Unlike other appliances such as air conditioners and table fans, it is fitted on the top of the window and out of children’s reach, making them safer.
How do Window Fans Work?
Running an AC is an expensive option for those who cannot afford it. The energy consumption of an AC is also very large, which would cost a lot of money if you keep it on for a long time.
Window fans are averaged-sized fans fitted in the frame of the window area, where the fans keep on circulating to bring in the fresh air from outside and then remove the stale air from inside.
This would also mean that the outside air must be cooler than the inside air. Otherwise, you could only feel a fan blowing up the hot air on to you. Opening the opposite side of the window where the fan is fitted would give you an added advantage of a cross-flow of air.
Advantages of Window Fans Over Ceiling Fans
- Window fans are the least expensive fans out of all the fans available in the market. So you need not think about buying if you have already set a budget in your mind.
- Window fans follow the process of circulation of air using the outside air. The stale air from inside is replaced with the fresh air from outside. This improves the air, which is inside, which also keeps our health good.
- Multiple fans can be used to cool the room inside if you have many windows. Using a ceiling fan restricts you from using a single fan.
Disadvantages of Window Fans Over Ceiling Fans
- This average-sized fans cannot be efficient enough to cool a big room, while multiple fans must be used to cool the room.
- These fans could only be helpful after considering the temperature outside. The wind blowing outside should be cooler than that inside.
- They are not very attractive compared to the ceiling fans and cannot be an option to improve your room decor.
How to Clean Window Fans
Unlike the other fans and air conditioners, window fans may be wedged between sashes and sills. Being fitted on the window, these fans circulate fresh air from outside and replaces the stale air from within to create a fresh atmosphere inside the room.
These fans are easy to be cleaned, unlike air conditioners. Over time, the particles present inside the air get stuck on to the blades and the grills, which need to be removed after some time because it hinders the fans’ effect.
- Remove the plug from the socket and place the fan of the window.
- Locate the screws on the fans and use the screwdriver to unscrew them.
- Separate the grill from the back of the fan.
- Pick up any loose parts from the fan using a paper towel only.
- Create a mild solution of hot water and soap. Take a sponge and dip it into the solution.
- Using the sponge, rub the fan blades and grills as well. Use a brush in case the parts are too delicate and might bend.
- Dampen a new sponge without dipping it into the soap solution.
- Wipe the wet parts of the fan.
- Re-assemble all the parts of the fan and refit it into the window space.
How to Install a Window Fan
- Align the window fan horizontally in the window. The controls should be facing you, and the extendable panel should be on the right side.
- Set the fan into your window opening and note that the window screen may not be left open in most cases.
- Pull out the built-in extender panel if it does not fit correctly into your window panel in the house.
- Attach the slider safe extender panel located in the original box’s polyfoam packaging if the fan does not fit in snugly.
- Carefully close the window so that the bottom edge of the window rests on the flat area, and this way, you can fit in correctly your window fan.
For Slider Windows
- Place the window fan vertically so that the left part of the fan rests on the bottom.
- Set the fan into your window opening and note that in most of the case, the window screen may not be left open or removed.
How to Operate a Window Fan
- You must make sure that the rotary switches are in the OFF mode initially before switching on to the supply.
- Plug the device into 120V AC electrical supply to start the working of your fan.
- The fan must have options of either INTAKE, EXHAUST, or EXCHANGE. Set the individual fan motors according to your wish so that they may start working.
- Now, to start the device, turn the Left/Right Fan Speed (HI, MID or LOW) to your desired speed, whatever you feel like.
- If the unit does not start, check that the Comfort Control Thermostat is set to HI/largest dot.
- When operating both fans on EXHAUST, you have to set the Comfort Control Thermostat to high by turning the dial CLOCKWISE toward the end.
Who Should Get a Window Fan
As compared to other fans, such as ceiling fans and table fans, these are not something that could be placed on your tables or over your head for circulation of air.
Though these are not a substitute for air conditioners in the summer season, they could be used at night when the weather is cooler as compared to the daytime.
You can remain cool without burning a lot of money from your pocket through the electricity bill.
These fans are an effective option, but you would require at least two of these. One which draws air into the room and the other, which removes air outside the room. With both of these working together, you will feel that it is more effective.
With a wide variety of products in the market, manufacturers have come out with twin window fans where one of the fans could be set to INTAKE and EXHAUST mode, satisfying both the features.
For users who are in search of an option for a cheap way of remaining cool inside your room without burning much of the energy, you should go for this option.
Types of Window Fans:
An exhaust fan is useful when you feel a buildup of fungus in wet places or the wet places where always remain moist.
These fans help because the air around you may contain some harmful substances. There are also numerous types of exhaust fans such as :
- Exhaust with Lights: These fans, in fact, help and serve you in double purpose. The ventilated area could be lighted up with a combination of exhaust and lights.
- External Exhaust: These fans pull out hot air from inside and take in the fresh air from outside.
- Ceiling Fixed Fans: If you live on a higher floor, such as the top floor, you need a better air stream for better circulation of air inside your room. These ceiling fixed fans are fitted into the holes provided for ventilation, and then it serves its purpose.
- Wall-Mounted: If you do not have much time to think about fans’ setting up, you can choose this fan where you need to fit it on the wall in the window space.
- Bathroom Exhaust: After having a hot shower inside your bathroom, hot air would be collected at the top near the tiles, which must be removed. If not, it may cause fungus. Bathroom exhausts are smaller in size as compared to the other exhaust fans.
- Kitchen Exhaust: These are mostly fitted above the cooking space inside your kitchen to remove odours of cooked food and sometimes the odour of leftovers. They can also be used to reduce the humidity level, which arises during the cooking time.
2. Dual Window Fans.
You would often feel hotter inside your room and want a cool breeze inside. Intake fans are unlike exhaust fans, focusing more on removing stale and hot air from the inside.
The point which differentiates intake fans from exhaust fans is that it focusses more on keeping the temperature inside your room cooler.
These are fitted in the window space to cool air from outside and push out the hotter air. These fans are bigger as compared to the exhaust fans.
The latter would be helpful only if your room is small or average-sized. Intake fans are best used at night as the air is cooler compared to that of the day.
If you are using it in the daytime, you may bring the hot air inside, which may circulate hot air.
3. Triple Window Fans
As the name suggests, the triple window fans come along with three fans. Since the device has three fans, it allows three fan speed and three fan settings. Now you can individually set the settings of the fan to Intake, Exhaust, or Exchange.
With options of fitting the fan either vertically or horizontally, it allows the user to be more flexible in choosing it as they may not fit into your window screens.
It can also be set to manual reversible, allowing cross-ventilation inside your room, providing a breezy and cool atmosphere inside your room.
4. Remote Controlled Window Fans
Why get worried about switching on and off your window fans when you have a remote control with you. It has become easy for users to sit back and relax and operate their device from anywhere inside their house.
Control the speed, swings, and many other options using a remote control. Be it a single, dual, or triple, you can enjoy operating it from anywhere.
5. Electrically Reversible Window Fans
Nowadays, the manufacturers are coming out with numerous ranges of the product, such as those that can serve both the options of INTAKE and EXHAUST.
Whenever you want fresh air to come inside your rooms, switch to INTAKE. Whenever you feel like the air inside is hot and becoming stingy, such as a kitchen or bathroom, switch to EXHAUST mode.
Buyers Guide For Window Fans
Ceiling fans come in a wide variety of ranges that differ in size, operations, and prices. Always have a rough idea in your mind and set the budget for your product so that it is easier to choose from.
The energy-efficient products are helpful in the long run, which consumes lesser energy than the others. The best method to find the efficiency of a ceiling fan is by knowing its CFM.
If you want to fit the fan somewhere outside, choose a product that has a higher airflow capacity.
Strong Airflow & Blade Span
The amount of airflow which takes place during the running is measured in CFM. CFM stands for cubic feet per minute. Higher the CFM of the fan, the more efficient it would be in its airflow. Blade span refers to the diameter that is visible during the motion.
Different blade span applies to different rooms. Smaller blade spans fans are fitted in small rooms that do not need greater airflow. While larger rooms need fans with a bigger blade span, have a rough idea in your mind as to where you want the fan to be installed.
A user would be annoyed by the fact if the product is too noisy and creates a disturbance. While buying a ceiling fan, noise is an important factor in selecting it. Choose something which is pleasant during its running and does not cause a disturbance.
Fans with Light
The market today is offering a wide range of products which have different functionalities such as lights. Buying a fan with light would add to your benefit as it provides two goals. You can even switch the light off if you do not require it.
After buying your product, it needs to be installed. So, keep in mind the installation techniques and get a user guide that would help you to install it.
Safety is an essential factor while considering to buy a window fan, especially for children. It becomes crucial that it should have some safety measures.
Exhaust or Intake
You must be clear about the plans of your usage, whether you need something which focusses more on removing bad air and odour from the room or which provides a cool and windy atmosphere inside your room.
The former is served by the Exhaust fans while the latter by Intake Fans.
Nowadays, the manufacturers are coming out with numerous ranges of the product, such as those that can serve both the options of INTAKE and EXHAUST. Try to buy a product that would serve both uses.
Having a two fan design helps you to serve two uses for Intake as well as Exhaust. Buy a product that has a twin fan fitted in it.
It is smart to have a product with multiple speed options such as HI/MID/LOW to satisfy the users.
Easy to Clean
Over the time of usage, the particles present in the air get attached to the fan’s lades and grills, which later hinders the fan’s effect. Fans must be easy to assemble and re-assemble after removing the parts to be cleaned without much effort.
Users would feel happy and relaxed if the product comes along with a remote control to sit back and relax and operate the fans from wherever they want.
Top 6 Window Fans
1. Bionaire Twin Reversible Airflow Window Fan
This is a large room fan that is sufficient enough to provide a cool atmosphere inside your room. The Bionaire Twin Reversible Airflow Window Fan with Remote Control by Bionaire is a perfect choice for you if you have a large room.
With sleek and stylish designs and multiple functionalities, this product proves to be economical for users.
Are you worried about your electricity bill getting raised every month due to the continuous running of air-conditioners? Then this product is a perfect option for you.
- The built-in thermostat allows it to set the temperature according to the temperature inside the room and work accordingly
- It is equipped with an independently controlled 8.5 inches blade
- The three-speed settings allow the user to set the speed according to their choice and comfort
- If you feel that the air inside is sticky and stale, switch to the Exhaust mode
- If you feel that you want to get a cool breezy atmosphere inside your room, switch to Intake mode
- If you want to replace the air inside with that of outside, switch to the Exchange mode
- The setting and functionalities are equipped with a LED indicator, which improves the visibility of the settings
- The remote-controlled device allows you to change the settings comfortably from anywhere
- You can now get optimal comfort with the three fan speed settings
- It is designed to fit in most of the hung or slide windows
- The built-in thermostat turns On/Off the device when it finds that the temperature exceeds the comfort level
- It may stop working after use for a long time
2. Digismart Axial Fan
Noiseless operation, effective results, and durability make it a perfect choice. This fan is one such product that can be a simple solution for all the odour problems in your kitchens and bathrooms. Let us look at the features of this product.
- The window fan comes with a high-performance motor that is durable and capable of replacing the stale air from your room with the fresh air from the outside
- It comes with thermal overload protection, which is a safety measure during voltage fluctuations at your home
- The sweep of the fan is 150mm
- It is made up of a 100% pure copper motor, which increases the durability and lifetime of this window fan
- Value for money
- It comes with a strong and aesthetic look, which is highly efficient in making your room fresh
- This product can be an ideal solution for all your odour problems in the kitchen and bathrooms
- It is a little noisy
3. Avalon Twin Window Fan
Avalon Twin Window Fan comes with many features and functionalities. Why stick to your ceiling fans when you have an option for this window fan?
As its name suggests it is a twin fan that gives it the power to be more efficient than the other ones. It also comes with LED indicator lights, which lets you keep track of the temperature settings.
With expandable side panels, now you need not worry that your window panel may not fit this window fan. They are adjustable to make them fit inside almost any window panels. Now let us talk about the features of this product.
- With the option of 3 Speed settings you can set your fan to low, medium, and high with ease
- It has a built-in thermostat ranging from 15 degrees to 26 degrees celcius
- Has an LED indicator
- The size of the fans is 9 inches each
- The window fan comes along an expandable side panel, which helps you to extend it
- This product comes with limited functionality of electrically reversible
- The durable copper motors ensure each fan lasts for a longer time
- It has a very low pitch hum
- It does not take much time to remove all the smell after switching on the EXHAUST mode
- The wire chords are a little short
4. Holmes Twin Window Fan
The independent electronically reversible window fans allow you to make it work in Exhaust, Intake, or Air-Exchange mode.
The built-in thermostat allows you to cycle in and out through different temperature levels according to your wish.
- The three mode settings allowed in this product is an added advantage for the user
- It also comes with three-speed settings
- With the adjustable panels, it helps you to adjust your window fan even in a bigger window
- It does not make noise while running
- It uses up to 60% lesser energy than other window fans
- The built-in thermostat allows you to target set the temperature of your fan according to your choice
- It is water-resistant and does not get damaged in the rainy season
- It comes with a 3-year warranty.
- It does not come along a remote control
5. Usha Crisp Air Exhaust Fan
This is a good fan that will provide you with cool and fresh air on a hot summer day. It is ideal for getting rid of stale air and smells built up in your room during the hot and humid day.
- Being a lightweight fan, it is easy to install
- The super silent functionality lets it run without much noise
- Being sleek and stylish in design, this product adds decor
- The motor fitted inside these fans comes with copper windings that protect the product from getting damaged and making it last for a longer time
- Has a rustproof body
- The automatic shutter protects the fan from dust when the fan is not in use
- It comes along with a 1-year warranty
- The fan doesn’t work efficiently in a large room
6. Havells Sweep Size Fan
Havells is a well-known brand, and this product has a robust motor which allows you to use it for a long time without worrying about the motor getting damaged. Given below are the key features of this product.
- This window fan comes with a sweep size blade of 200mm
- It demands a power consumption of 32 watts and operates at 230 voltage
- With a smaller sized fan, the cleaning and dismantling is easy
- It is fitted with a gravity shutter that prevents dust, flies, and other pests to enter
- The robust motor does not get damaged easily
- It is a very durable product
- The small-sized fan would not be efficient to be operated inside a bigger room
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can a window fan get wet and stop functioning?
Usually, most window fans are resistant to water and light rain. Even if your fan gets wet, let it dry before you plug it back in and start using it.
2. Can you use a window fan without a window?
No. Your window fan works on the principle of pulling fresh air from the outside and removing the stale air from the room. If you do not have a source of outside, the air that exists inside your room will be circulated again and again. This would not be an effective option.
3. What is the best way to use a window fan?
To use your window fan effectively, choose a product that fits exactly into your window box.
When it is cooler outside, the stale air from inside will get exchanged with the cool air outside. This way, you would be able to cool your room.
If your room is dingy (mostly kitchen and bathroom), it will replace the fresh air from outside and will make it smell better.
Window fans are a good choice for especially for a small room where an AC is not really required. They are available in several different types and are easy to install and use.
If you want to enjoy the cool outside breeze from the comfort of your home, then any of the window fans from our list are a good choice for you. Remember always to choose one that will suit your need the best.
Stay cool and fresh even on hot and humid days with these window fans.