Best wheelchair in India
Wheelchairs are mobility devices designed to help move the people who are incapable of walking due to illness, old age, injuries, or disabilities. It is a lightweight chair that is designed with two rear wheels and two front wheels for easy maneuverability. The wheelchair is easy to operate manually or through an automated system.
The sturdy construction of the product ensures durability and stability. Wheelchairs with fold-up designs are suitable options as they can be folded into a compact size for transportation. It is equipped with safety features, including an adjustable safety belt that ensures a secure fit. Also, the brakes and wheel locks provide additional support for safe use.
Hence, a wheelchair is a comfortable and safe mobility chair that comes to the aid of the elderly and disabled. It helps in moving them from one place to another. If you are looking for a wheelchair, then this article is for you.
Choosing the right wheelchair that ensures comfort, support, and safety to the user may be a tedious task. We provide a comprehensive buyer’s guide that explains the critical points that should be considered before purchase. The article also reviews the top 5 wheelchairs available on amazon. We have provided an FAQ section towards the end of the article to help you gain more insight.
5 Best Wheelchair
Wheelchairs are available in various size options for you to choose from. Ensure that the seat width of the wheelchair is suitable for the frame of the user. A 16-inch seat is ideal for narrow adults, while a wide adult requires a 20-inch seat.
You can also go for wheelchairs that come with a seat width of 28-inches or more for adults with a wider frame. Along with the size, check the load-bearing capacity of the seat. The wheelchair should come with a maximum load weight capacity of 100 to 150 kg.
The wheelchair should be lightweight and compact so that you can maneuver it around with ease. Also, opt for a fold-up design so that you can fold it for easy transportation. It enables you to store the wheelchair when not in use.
The primary materials used for the construction of a wheelchair are aluminum, titanium, and steel. If you are looking for a lightweight or ultralight wheelchair, then consider going for a wheelchair that comes with an aluminum frame. On the other hand, chrome-plated steel frames are commonly seen in fold-up wheelchairs.
Ensure that the wheelchair is sturdy and durable with maximum support. The spoked wheels and front wheels should be robust and maintenance-free. The wheelchair will be able to travel on every surface or rough terrain.
The wheelchair you buy should be equipped with safety features, including a safety belt and attendant brakes. The safety belt with a locking clip ensures support to the user. The belts should be easily adjustable, ensuring a secure fit to prevent the user from falling.
On the other hand, the attendant brakes, hand brakes, and toggle bracing brakes make the wheelchair easily and secure. Also, check for locks on the rear wheels for optimum safety.
Armrests and Footrests
Every wheelchair must include fixed armrests and footrests for maximum support and comfort. The elevated leg rest ensures customized support to the user. The footrests can be detachable or fixed. Also, ensure that the armrests feature a flip-up design for easy access to and from the wheelchair.
The upholstery of the wheelchair should be made using soft PVC cotton or nylon material. Ensure that the upholstery is durable and comfortable for the user. It should be easy to clean using soapy water and detergent.
You can consider opting for a cloth-like upholstery that is water-resistant. Also, the backrest of the wheelchair must include a soft cushion for additional comfort and support.
Manual or automated
The automated wheelchair is more expensive compared to their manual counterparts. It is operated and controlled by the user with the help of a joystick located at its side.
However, manual wheelchairs are operated by the strength of the user’s arm. The wheelchair ensures a physical load on the shoulders and upper-limbs. Hence, choose a wheelchair based on your requirements and convenience.
Top 5 Best Wheelchair
1. Viva Healthcare Spoke Self Drive Wheel Chair –
The Viva Healthcare wheelchair is a self-drive wheelchair that comes with handbrakes and toggles bracing brakes for easy and secure use. It features a foldable design, allowing you to travel around with it easily. The chrome-plated steel frame and superior quality spoke wheels make the chair a durable choice.
It includes a safety belt with locking clips that ensure support to the user. The fixed arm and footrest offer comfort and convenience. Hence, it is a recommended option that is available at an affordable price range.
- The net weight of the wheelchair is 18 kg.
- The maximum load-bearing capacity is 100 kg.
- The width of the seat is 46 cm.
- It comes with a chrome-plated steel frame.
- It includes a fixed arm and footrest.
- The safety belt comes with a locking clip.
- It includes a total of four brakes in the front and rear sides.
- It features an easily foldable design.
- The belt is adjustable to ensure a secure fit.
- It is safe to use.
- The spoke wheels are of superior quality.
- The hand brakes and toggle bracing brakes make it easy and secure.
- Not uncomfortable for outside use.
2. Dr. Trust (USA) Premium Quality Manual Wheelchair –
The Dr. Trust (USA) premium quality manual wheelchair comes with a maximum weight-bearing capacity of 150 kg. It ensures optimum usage, especially on terrain and rough outdoor surface. The wheelchair features a lightweight design and robust construction. The chrome-plated steel frame and spoked wheels ensure durability.
It is equipped with a pelvic belt to provide support for safe use. The wheelchair can be folded with ease for convenient transportation. It is easy to operate, allowing you to manually transport old and disabled people from one place to another.
- The perfect size wheelchair comes with a length of 103 cm, 86 cm height, and 43 cm seat depth.
- The pelvic belt ensures safety and comfort.
- The wheelchair weighs 15.66 kg.
- The 24-inch rear wheels and 8-inch front wheels ensure optimum usage.
- It comes with a maximum weight capacity of 150 kg.
- The wheelchair features armrests, nylon leg rests, and aluminum footrests.
- The upholstery is made using soft coated PVC material.
- It features chrome-plated steel frames and spoked wheels.
- The wheelchair ensures support and comfort to the users.
- The lightweight wheelchair can be folded for convenient portability.
- It features strong and premium quality construction.
- The upholstery is easy to clean using soapy water or detergent.
- It is easy to operate through the loop style manual brake on its right side.
- The wheels were not aligned.
3. Fastwell Premium Folding Wheelchair –
The Fastwell Premium wheelchair features a modern and elliptical design. The powder-coated steel frame with a black cross brace ensures durability and safety. The foldable wheelchair comes with solid rubber tires that are mounted on composite wheels to ensure the smoothest ride on most surfaces. It includes nylon upholstery, making it easy to clean and maintain.
- The wheelchair features a blue powder-coated steel frame that is reinforced with a black cross brace.
- The attended brake ensures safety.
- It features a modern, stylish, and elliptical design.
- The wheelchair comes with nylon upholstery.
- It comes with flip back padded armrests, swing-away footrests, or elevated leg rests.
- The wheelchair can be easily folded for portability.
- It is durable and safe to use.
- It ensures a stable and smooth ride on most surfaces.
- The upholstery is easy to clean.
- The quality of the upholstery was not up to the mark.
4. VMS Careline Pneumatic Regular Wheelchair –
The VMS Careline Pneumatic Regular wheelchair features a durable and sturdy chrome-plated steel construction. It is a lightweight and compact wheelchair that is easily foldable. Hence, you can carry it around with ease. The upholstered seat with soft back cushion, fixed armrests, and footrests ensures maximum comfort to the users.
- The net weight of the wheelchair is 16.4 kg.
- It comes with a maximum load-bearing capacity of 100 kg.
- The seat width is 46 cm.
- It features a chrome-plated steel frame and high-quality spoked wheels.
- The foldable wheelchair is equipped with a safety belt, fixed arm, and footrests.
- It features a lightweight, foldable, and compact design for easy transportation.
- The footrest can flip up for easy access to and from the wheelchair.
- It ensures comfort and safety.
- The wheelchair comes with durable and sturdy construction.
- The upholstered seat with back cushion is easy to clean.
- No negative points were seen so far.
5. KosmoCare Elegant Dzire Premium Wheelchair –
The KosmoCare Elegant Dzire is a premium wheelchair that ensures safety and comfort to the user. The sturdy aluminum frame comes with a back handle, making it more compact when folded. The spoked aluminum wheels include locks for additional safety.
The lightweight wheelchair features flip-up armrests that ensure easy access to and from the wheelchair. On the other hand, the detachable footrests and elevated leg rest provide customized support. This fold-up wheelchair is built to travel on all surfaces.
- The wheelchair weighs 14 kg.
- Total width in open position: 64 cm, seat to floor height: 48 cm, seat width: 46 cm, front wheel size: 14 cm, rear wheel size: 18 cm.
- It comes with a maximum load-bearing capacity of 100 kg.
- The wheelchair includes a flip-up armrest for easy access and a detachable footrest.
- It comes with a sturdy aluminum frame and spoked wheels.
- The cloth-like upholstery is water-resistant.
- The seat belt ensures support for safety.
- It is lightweight and compact.
- The wheelchair is built to travel on any surface.
- The attendant brakes and rear wheel locks ensure comfort and safety.
- The wheels are maintenance-free without the hassle of air filling.
- The easy fold-up design makes it portable.
- It is a bit expensive.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a wheelchair made of?
Wheelchairs are most commonly constructed using steel, aluminum, and titanium. Standard wheelchairs that come with a folding mechanism feature a chrome-plated steel frame. On the other hand, aluminum is widely used for the construction of ultralight and lightweight wheelchairs.
2. What is a wheelchair used for?
Wheelchairs are mobility devices that come with wheels. They are designed to be maneuvered manually or by automated systems. The wheelchair is used by people who have difficulty in walking due to illness, disability, old age, and injury.
3. What sizes are wheelchairs?
Wheelchairs are available in various sizes. The common wheelchair widths are 16 inches for a narrow adult, 18 inches for the average adult, and 20 inches for wide adults. You can also obtain a wheelchair as small as 8 inches for children. For adults with a wider body frame, you can go for a wheelchair that comes with a seat width of 28 inches or more.
4. What disabilities require a wheelchair?
A wheelchair helps those who are incapable of walking due to various medical health conditions or disabilities. Some of the common medical conditions that will require a wheelchair are Alzheimer’s, rheumatoid arthritis, cerebral palsy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, COPD, asthma, congestive heart failure, and others.
5. Is a transport chair considered as a wheelchair?
A transport chair is a mobility chair that performs the function of a wheelchair. It is a lightweight chair that comes with the portability of a rollator. However, it comes with small wheels that prevent the user from propelling himself.
A family member or caregiver will have to push the transport chair. Hence, it is suitable for those who are incapable of propelling themselves. Moreover, it is an excellent alternative for those who find a standard wheelchair too heavy to maneuver.
Wheelchairs are essentials as they help to move those who are incapable of walking themselves due to medical conditions, old age, and disabilities. It is important to buy a wheelchair that is affordable, comfortable, safe, convenient to use, portable, and easy to maintain. We have provided a buyer’s guide to help you make the right choice.
The article also reviews the top 5 wheelchairs available on the leading e-commerce website, amazon. If you are looking for a self-drive wheelchair that is safe and secure, then consider going for the Viva Healthcare Spoke Self Drive Wheel Chair. It is our number one recommendation.
Another suitable option is the Dr. Trust (USA) Premium Quality Manual Wheelchair. It is a sturdy and robust wheelchair that is easy to operate manually. We now come to the end of this article. We hope this article helps!