Best Water Gun for Kids
Summertime is the best time for water play as it keeps your kids fresh while they enjoy playing outdoors. Water Guns are the perfect toys to play with during the hot summer season. These toy guns are designed for shooting water to drench the targeted person. The game ensures unlimited fun for kids as they go around aiming and shooting pool to soak their opponent in water.
Water gun for kids has come a long way as Lonnie Johnson first invented it in 1982 as he was experimenting with a heat pump in his bathroom. This heat pump accidentally shot a stream of water from which he got the idea of making a water gun which after dedication and designing was released in 19889 by the name of Power Drencher. We refer to this invention as the Super Soaker in the present times
There are different types of water guns available in the market Like big water guns, small water guns, etc designed especially for kids which we will discuss in the following section. This article highlights the Advantages of Water Guns For Kids, types of water guns for kids and also provides a comprehensive buyer’s guide to help you make the right choice. We have also reviewed the top 8 water guns available on Amazon along with their links to purchase them from. You can gain more information on this topic from the FAQ section at the end of this article.
Top 8 Water Gun for Kids
Easy to Fill Water Gun
Best Syringe Piston
Best Wrist Water Gun
Water gun for Comfortable Playing
The Durable Water Gun
Powerful Range Water Gun
Best Designed Water Gun
Advantages of a Water Gun for Kids
Water guns prove to be a fun toy for kids, especially during summers as they can cool themselves by drenching each other in the water. This also allows them to go outdoors and keep themselves active during the warm summer seasons. They can enjoy a wartime game that focuses on targeting opponents and is ideal for playing in beaches, water parks, and swimming pools.
Moreover, playing with water is the safest as it does not injure anyone like paintball or airsoft and water is available readily. The guns are made using non-toxic plastic that makes it safe for children to play with. They are also much more cost effective than paintball, nerf or airsoft as they are available in affordable price ranges.
A fun game of water war plays also ensure an increase in the socializing skills of your kid as it involves playing with a number of children. It also enhances the creativity and imagination of your kid as they plan strategies to win the game by soaking the opponents with water. This enhances their motor skills as they learn to grip, move their eyes in order to spot the target and also increases their capability to think while having fun.
Types of Water Guns For Kids
A squirt gun is a small sized gun that is designed in bright colors. It features a small trigger which when pressed releases a stream of water to drench your target. These gun are light-weight, easy and fun to play with. However, they lack power and range making it suitable only to drench a nearby target, also they require constant refilling. Squirt guns are also known as water pistols.
Super soaker guns have come a long way. These guns were invented and designed in the year 1982 by a simple person named Lonnie Johnson. They were called Power Drenchers and after much modification in the design, they were referred to as super soakers.
Super soakers come with a water reservoir attached with a gun which ensures a continuous flow of water. The air pressure draws the water from the tank into the arm, and the pressing of the trigger releases a powerful stream of water that is capable of drenching the target which is far away.
Syringe Pistons are also known as a “Pichkari.” They consist of a long shaft with an inner rod that includes a handle which is pulled back and forth to create pressure. Compression of the air forces out the water from the nozzle and the power of which is dependent on the strength of the user. These guns require a bucket filled with water where the nozzle is immersed in drawing water.
Squeeze Bulb Water Gun
These are one of the oldest designs of water guns introduced to us. It includes a rubber bulb that is squeezed for the water to be drawn into the gun and in order to release the water from the nozzle, the same bulb requires to be squeezed even more rapidly. The amount of water drawn depends on the strength of the user’s grip and it might be tiring for them. Moreover, the gun needs to be refilled each time which may be a cause of inconvenience.
The tank capacity should be 2-4 liters so that it stores an ample amount of water for shooting water through the gun. This enables your kid to enjoy playing for a long time without having to fill the tank or refill the gun constantly. The higher capacity of the tank ensures uninterrupted fun for your child.
BPA Free Material
The material used for the construction of the water gun should be hard plastic that is BPA free and non-toxic. This makes it completely safe for your kid to play with. Moreover, the hard plastic material also ensures the durability of the water gun so that it lasts for a longer time period. Hence, it is important to go for a water gun that is made using good quality non-toxic plastic.
The water gun should come with a water tank that is capable of storing an ample amount of water for a fun water war game. However, go for a tank that comes with adjustable straps which enable your child to wear it as a backpack with a comfortable fit. Thus, your child will be able to roam freely and play for long hours comfortably.
Minimum Age Requirement
It is important to check the minimum age requirement as suggested by the manufacturer before purchasing a water gun. Most water pistols and syringes come with a minimum age requirement of 1-2 years. While the super soakers have a higher age requirement. Purchasing a gun based on the age of your kid helps in maintaining his or her safety.
The throw capacity or range of the water gun should be more than 30 meters. This enhances the fun in the water war game as your child can shoot and soak a target with water even from a distance. Hence, the water gun should have a powerful range.
Comfortable and Easy to Use
The water gun should be easy to grip for your child. It should not require a lot of effort and strength to pump the water. Go for an easy to use water gun which will release water by just pressing the trigger. The child should be comfortable and be able to move around freely for an enhanced fun playtime.
1. Sunshine Gifting Holi Water Gun – Our Choice
This water gun from Sunshine is the ideal toy for kids during summer and Holi. The gun is connected to a back tank having a capacity of 1.75 liters which ensures ample amount of water to play with. The tank can be worn easily and comfortably by your kid as a shoulder bag as it comes with adjustable shoulder straps. It ensures the freedom of movement and prevents the hassle of constantly having to fill the gun with water.
Moreover, non-toxic plastic makes it safe to use while the design attracts children. It is the right quality product at a reasonable price range making it our number one choice.
- This water gun comes with a back tank.
- Tank capacity is 1.75 L
- The tank is designed like a bag with adjustable shoulder straps.
- Manufacturer’s minimum suggested age requirement is 12 months.
- Gun uses pressure technology to work where half part of the gun is pulled back and forth, creating the required pressure.
- The gun is made using non-toxic plastic.
- Throw capacity is more than 50 meters.
- The back tank can be worn as a shoulder bag for convenience.
- It is safe to play with.
- Allows kids to roam freely as they do not have to worry about the constant filling of water.
- Good quality at a reasonable price.
- As per a user, it is a bit heavy for kids.
2. Kabello Water Spray Gun – Easy to Fill Water Gun
The kabello Water spray gun comes with a water tank that is connected to it using a long 27-inch pipe that ensures an ample amount of water. The gun is made using non-toxic plastic that makes it safe to play with while providing the durability of the product. It is a fun toy for your child to have fun with in swimming pools, water parks and beaches. Moreover, it is easy to fill up and play with making it a convenient option to go for.
- This is a water spray gun that comes with a water tank.
- The water tank is connected with the gun using a 27-inch pipe.
- Made using non-toxic hard plastic material.
- Minimum age requirement is 5 months.
- It comes with a handle in front that needs to be pumped and the trigger when pressed releases the water.
- Throwing capacity is more than 20 meters.
- The material makes it durable and safe to play with.
- Promotes your child’s ability to socializing, enhances the creativity and imagination while ensuring fun.
- Easy to replenish by removing the cartridge and placing it under water to refill the gun.
- Ideal for playing in water parks, beaches, and swimming pools.
- Attractive and cute design.
- No such cons were mentioned.
3. Ascension Steel Pencil Pichkari Water Gun – Best Syringe Piston
The Ascension water gun is designed to resemble a steel pencil. It includes a nozzle and a handle which needs to be pulled back and forth to create pressure in order to release the water. The pichkari is easy to use because of its light-weight design making it an ideal option for kids to play with during summer and Holi. It is also safe to use for kids having a minimum age of 4 months because of its non-toxic material.
- The water gun is designed as a Pichkari.
- The water is released from the nozzle by pulling the handle back and forth to create pressure.
- Made using hard plastic non-toxic material.
- Throw capacity is more than 30 meters.
- Minimum age requirement is 4 months.
- The water gun has a light-weight design making it easy to operate for kids.
- Safe to use.
- Fun to play with during Holi and Summer.
- It does not come with a tank so it needs constant refilling of water.
4. Jern Funny Wrist Water Gun – Best Wrist Water Gun
The Jern Wrist water gun is a suitable option to go for if your child is 3 years and above. It can be placed comfortably on the wrist of your child and the handle can be gripped to release water by pressing the trigger. It also enables your kid to play by moving around freely. The design makes it fun to play with and attracts kids.
- This is a wrist water sprinkler gun.
- Made using non-toxic plastic.
- Suitable for children of 3 years and above.
- Color Options: Green, Yellow and red.
- It comes with a handle that features a trigger to release the water.
- The trigger comes with ridges for a comfortable and secure grip.
- It is comfortable and safe to use.
- The wrist water gun allows your child to roam freely.
- The capacity for holding water is very less.
5. Fully Plastic Big Pichkari Water Gun – Water gun for Comfortable Playing
This water pistol is designed to work using the mechanism of a pichkari. The portion of the gun needs to be pulled back and forth to create pressure for the gun to draw water from the water tank. The water is then released in the form of a splash by pressing the trigger. The tank comes with an adjustable strap allowing your child to wear it like a backpack so that he or she can move freely and comfortably while playing.
- This is a pichkari style water gun that comes with a water tank.
- Tank capacity is 2-4 Liters.
- The half portion of the gun needs to be pulled back and forth to create pressure and the trigger when pressed will release the water.
- Minimum age requirement is 7 years.
- Made using non-toxic plastic.
- Water is shot in the form of a splash.
- The water tank comes with straps to wear it like a backpack.
- Adjustable strap ensures a comfortable fit as per the requirement of your kid.
- Comes in fun and brightly colored designs.
- No such cons were mentioned by users.
6. Toytom Water Pistol Super Water Gun – The Durable Water Gun
This water pistol from TOY MY TOY is the ideal recommendation for a child of 6 years and above. It has a small lightweight design that is comfortable to grip for young children. The non-toxic plastic ensures its durability and makes it safe to play a fun game with on a beach. This gun has a powerful range that enhances playtime for your little one by allowing him or her to soak a target even from a distance.
- This water pistol is made using non-toxic plastic.
- Has a small and light-weight design.
- Ideal for kids playing a fun game on the beach.
- Minimum age requirement is 6 years.
- The shape of a gun, works just like one. Press the trigger and water will be released from the nozzle.
- The gun is safe to use and durable.
- Ensures an easy and comfortable grip for your child.
- Promotes interest to your child, enhances his or creativity and imagination along with helping in socializing.
- Has a good and powerful range.
- A user mentioned that the screws in the gun started rusting very fast.
7. Toyshine Startoys Holi Water Gun – Powerful Range Water Gun
This water gun is available in a number of different models and designs to choose from based on the preference of your kid. It has a throwing capacity of more than 50 meters and a tank capacity of 3 Liters for enhanced playtime for a long duration without the worry of running out of water. The water tank can be worn comfortably as a backpack and it is safe to use because of its non-toxic plastic material
- Comes with a water back tank.
- The capacity of the tank is 3 Liters.
- Throw capacity is more than 50 meters.
- Water is drawn from the tank by pulling half the portion of the gun back and forth to produce pressure.
- Made of non-toxic plastic.
- Minimum age requirement of 12 months.
- Available in a number of designs and bright attractive colors.
- Safe for children to play with.
- The water tank comes with adjustable straps to ensure a comfortable fit when worn as a backpack.
- Users mentioned that the parts of the gun were coming apart.
8. Jiada StarToys Water Gun – Best Designed Water Gun
This is a great option to go for as it comes with a 3 D design available in three different variants: Motu Patlu, Frozen and Spiderman. The design is loved by all and it also has a convenient backpack design for the comfort of your child. It ensures a fun playtime for a long time because of the 2 Liter tank capacity. This is a suitable option for the best-designed water gun for a child having a minimum age of 3 years.
- This is a water pichkari that comes with a water tank.
- Available in three variants: Frozen, Motu Patlu, and Spiderman.
- The water tank capacity is 2 Liters.
- Throw capacity is more than 50 meters.
- Minimum age requirement is 36 months.
- The water is drawn into the gun by pulling the part of the gun back and forth to create pressure.
- Made using non-toxic safe plastic material.
- The convenient backpack design ensures comfort to your child.
- The gun is safe and fun to play with.
- The 3 D design makes draws the attention of your kid making him or her love this toy.
- Comes with free water balloons.
- As per users, the quality of the product was not up to the mark.
Frequently Asked Questions
We answer some of the most frequently asked questions related to water guns for kids:
1. What is a water gun?
A water gun is a toy gun designed for shooting water to soak the other person as a part of a fun water war game. It is the ideal toy for playing with during hot summers as it releases water from the nozzle after pressing the trigger. It works using a simple pressure mechanism which draws the water from the given water tank, bucket or any other source.
2. Are water guns safe?
Water guns are safe to use as long as the pressure or range is not too powerful. It is often advised for kids to wear sunglasses while playing with them to protect their eyes. However, water guns are made using non-toxic plastic to ensure the safety of children.
Water guns are the best toys to gift your child, especially during the hot summers as they can play water war games with friends outdoors. This keeps them active even during summers and ensures a fun playing time where the water also manages to keep them cool. There are different water guns available in the market and choosing the right one for your child might be a tedious task to complete.
This article tries to help you find a suitable option by providing a comprehensive buyer’s guide explaining all the important factors you need to consider before making a purchase. We also review the top 8 water guns available in Amazon. You can go for our number one choice: the Sunshine Gifting Holi Water Gun with Pressure with Back Holding Tank. You can also go for any of the 7 products mentioned in the list based on your child’s age requirement.
We now come to the end of this article hoping that you gift the idea water gun to your child which he or she will love.