8 Best Water Filter Pitchers
Water is the basic necessity of mankind which is available in abundance on earth in the form of lakes, rivers, oceans, and seas. However, water obtained directly from these sources is unfit for drinking purposes as they are contaminated with germs, bacteria, viruses along with heavy metals and harmful chemicals. Thus, every home requires a water purification system that provides clean and purified drinking water to keep your family safe and healthy.
A water filter pitcher or water filter jug is a compact and portable water purification system that is designed to resemble a jug. It is available in different capacities and is an ideal option for obtaining filtered drinking water at home or even in small kitchens, offices, hostels, and PG. The best part of this system is that it does not require to be mounted or placed in a single place because of its portable design.
This article will help you understand all about Water Filter Pitchers, including the Working of Water Filter Pitchers, the Types of Water Pitcher Filters and the Contaminants Removed By Water Filter Pitchers. This is followed by a comprehensive buyer’s guide which will help you decide on the water pitcher you wish to purchase.
We also provide a detailed review of the top 8 water filter pitchers along with the links to purchase them on Amazon. The last section of the article throws light on the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to this topic for you to gain a better understanding.
Top 8 Water Filter Pitchers
Comes with natural carbon granules
Advanced filter technology
Smart digital indicator
The Guaranteed Water Filter Pitcher
Working of Water Filter Pitcher
Water Filter Pitchers are portable water purification systems that ensure crystal clear clean purified drinking water wherever you go. These products have a convenient and economical design resembling a jug as they feature an ergonomic handle, an easy spout from where you pour the filtered drinking water and a lid that keeps the water in the jug safe from dust, dirt, and germs.
It consists of an opening from where the unfiltered water is poured into the top reservoir. This water stored in the top reservoir passes through a carbon filter or a cartridge in order to get filtered as they block the contaminants from flowing in the water as it starts getting stored in the bottom reservoir. The water stored in the bottom reservoir is your safe clean and purified drinking water.
The product also includes a special lock or bypass system that will prevent any unfiltered water from flowing out when pouring water from the jug. Thus, it ensures that you always obtain clean and safe purified drinking water that will keep your family healthy.
Contaminants Removed By The Filters:
The cartridge filter along with their purification stages and advanced technologies are capable of removing all kinds of impurities including germs, viruses, solid impurities, dirt, organic compounds, chemicals, heavy metals such as calcium, lead, zinc, and magnesium, chlorine. They can also remove hardness from the water along with peculiar smells. Cartridges also come with mineral beads so that the minerals in the water are retained for greater nutritional value and proper taste.
The carbon filters, on the other hand, absorb ions and other finer particles like dirt because of its porous nature. There are also other contaminants that it blocks out like the following:
Chlorine: It is capable of removing chlorine from water so that you don’t taste it and are safe from various diseases.
Insecticides and Pesticides: It is capable of removing harmful chemicals such as insecticides and pesticides from the water. Consumption of these chemicals may lead to health problems when consumed by children and people of the older age group.
Parasites: Carbon filter blocks the entry of parasites such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium into the filtered water as they cause disease like Giardiasis and Cryptosporidiosis respectively. These are severe gastrointestinal and respiratory ailments that may pose a severe threat to humanity.
Types of Water Pitcher Filters
The carbon filter or a charcoal filter is designed to include various pores which can trap the ions and other impurities when water is passed through it. Thus, it uses a principle of absorption for purifying water where the contaminants of the water get trapped into the pores of the carbon, and only clear liquid is made to flow out. Hence, the water you obtain is clean and much more healthy keeping your family safe.
The pores, when filled with contaminants and ions, lose their ability to absorb after a certain period. This is when a change in the carbon filter is required so that you continue to obtain purified water.
Cartridge filters are advanced filters used in the water filter pitcher to filter out water. The cartridge comprises of activated carbon filters and also makes the unfiltered water pass through different stages of purification so that you obtain water that is more healthy and tasty.
It includes ion beads and resins that are filled with sodium particles. Heavy metals such as calcium and magnesium get trapped into the surface of these beads so that sodium gets released into the water in small quantities. Cartridges may also come with mineralizers to retain the minerals in the water which gets filtered out during the filtration process. This enhances the nutritional value of the water so that the consumption of this water will keep you healthier.
Most cartridges also come with Tourmaline which is a mineral that helps in increasing the metabolism of your body. The stages of purification might differ from cartridges, However, it is capable of ensuring safe and healthy purified drinking water.
Buyer’s Guide for Water Filter Pitcher
Technology and Filter Type
The two main filter types are Carbon filters and cartridge filters. Choose the water filter pitcher based on your water type. If the water you obtain comes with more TDS, hardness and chlorine taste go for a cartridge filter type that comes with advanced technology. This not only removes the impurities, solids and other contaminants but also enhances the taste and nutritional value of the water.
Filter Change Indicator
The product should have an LED or a smart digital indicator that tracks the life of the cartridge or carbon filter. This will notify you when a filter change is required so that you always obtain drinking water that is free from germs, viruses and other contaminants.
The model should come with a convenient and economical design that is compact in size so that you can easily carry it to different places or keep it in the refrigerator if you wish for chilled drinking water. Transparent design is a good option as it helps you to see the water being purified and also lets you know when more water needs to be added.
The jug should have an ergonomic handle an a no-spill lid design so that you get a smooth grip while pouring the water without having to worry about spillage. The spout from where the filtered water is poured should also have a convenient design along with a flap. You should also check for a non-slip rubber base for ensuring that the pitcher is sturdy at all times.
Ensure that the pitcher is made using a food grade safe BPA free plastic material so that the water you drink is always safe for consumption. This material is also safer for the environment as it is cheaper and reduces waste, unlike the plastic bottles. Moreover, a strong material keeps the pitcher sturdy and also allows you to use it on a daily basis without having to worry about its durability.
The water filter pitcher comes with two reservoirs, one at the top for storing the unfiltered water and one below that stores the purified drinking water. Go for a pitcher having ample storage capacity for your family so that you are never out of safe drinking water. The total capacity of the pitcher should be between 2.5 L-3.5 L where 1 L is reserved for the unfiltered water and the rest is for the filtered drinking water.
The water filter pitcher should be able to filter out water efficiently so that you never have to wait a long time period for obtaining purified drinking water. The flow rate of the water should be fast ranging between 1.3 L- 1.5 L per minute. This enhances the efficiency of the pitcher while making the provision of drinking water more convenient for consumers.
8 Best Water Filter Pitchers
1. Nakii Long-Lasting Water Filter Pitcher – Our pick
This is a great compact water filter pitcher to go for that is tested and certified by leading industries for its quality and performance. It has a patented ACF technology and an incredible filtration system that is capable of removing rust, solid particles, hardness, sediments, heavy metals, fine particles, chlorine, volatile components and other organic components. This results in safe and healthy drinking water that is obtained efficiently due to its filtration flow rate of 1.3 L per minute.
The jug is made using BPA free plastic material that is safe to use and also ensures durability of the product. Moreover, no spill lid design makes it convenient to pour the water without spilling it. Thus, these features make this water filter pitcher our ideal choice.
- Comes with a patented Activated Carbon Fiber ACF Military technology for filtering.
- The filtration technology includes a pre-sediment filter, Sweden Ion Exchange resin, Japan ACF Filter and Nylon post filter.
- It has a filter flow rate of 1.3 L per minute.
- Has a filtered water storage capacity of 1.8 L while the top reservoir can store unfiltered water of 0.55 L.
- The filter certified by WQA has a life-span of 150 gallons.
- Made using BPA free, FDA approved, ABS, AS PP plastic material.
- The no-spill lid design makes it convenient for users to pour water without having to worry about spillage.
- It is strong and rigid allowing you to use it for daily purposes over the years to come.
- The filters are tested and certified for the performance and quality of the product.
- It is a safe and healthy product to use.
- AS per a user, the filtration speed reduced over time.
2. Premium Water Pitcher Filter by Ecosoft – Compact design
This Water Filter pitcher from Ecosoft is the perfect water purifying jug to have in your kitchen because of its BPA free purification system that ensures crystal clear tasty and purified drinking water up to 8 cups. It has one of the best designs that include a cover to prevents dust and insects from entering the filtered water while the flip allows easy water pouring. The transparency of the jug also enables you to see the purification so that you know when you need to add more water.
The compact size makes it easy to port and also store in the refrigerator so that you obtain chilled drinking water at all times. Moreover, the filter requires to be changed after 3 months of average use making it more convenient for users.
- It is a German designed water filter pitcher.
- This pitcher comes with Ecomix D531 proprietary multi-functional technology that uses activated carbon to remove contaminants from the water.
- Can hold up to 8 cups of crystal clear filtered water.
- The transparent design allows you to see the water being filtered.
- Comes with a cover for purified water protection.
- The non-slip rubber base ensures a grip on the surface preventing it from slipping.
- Made using BPA free material.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty and a 5 years limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- The compact design allows you to store it easily in the refrigerator.
- The transparency allows you to know when you need to add more water so that you are never out of filtered water.
- Removes hardness, iron, rust, lead, copper, manganese, and limescale formation so that you obtain delicious drinking water.
- It removes chlorine, odor, salinity, and by-products of chlorination.
- It has a portable and sleek design.
- According to a user, the lid and quality of plastic were not up to the mark.
3. Watamate Puro ACFT – Cost-effective
Watamate is a well know Water Management Solutions that has come forth with this great portable water purification system under the name Watamate Puro ACFT. This water filter pitcher uses an advanced activated carbon filter technology to produce clean safe drinking water for you and your family. The design makes it easy to use meeting the requirements of the Indian consumers.
Moreover, it is the most cost-effective water purification systems as its cartridge has a long life of up to 60 days. Thus, if you are looking for purified water at a low price this would be a significant option.
- This is a portable water filter jug designed by Global experts to meet the requirements of Indian Consumers.
- Made using food grade material for safety.
- Features the adsorpADSORP Activated Carbon Filter Technology to effectively purify water.
- The pitcher comes with a funnel in which the unfiltered water is poured, a jug where the filtered water is collected and the water outlet from where the water is poured.
- Capacity: 2.6 Liter.
- The Arc Non-slip handle ensures firm grip so that water is poured conveniently.
- It comes with a lid and a funnel high precision chimeric that retains the raw water in the funnel so that only purified water is poured.
- The watertight sealing prevents water spilling even if it is kept upside down.
- It is the most cost-effective water purification system to consider as the PURO ACFT Fil Cartridge lasts for up to 60 days considering 5 Liters of drinking water.
- The portable design makes it easy to use anywhere as it does not have to mounted in one place.
- Quality of product is not good according to the users.
4. Astrea Compact Pure Non-Electric Water Purifier Dispenser Jug With Filter – Comes with natural carbon granules
The Astrea Compact Water Filter Pitcher is the perfect solution for ensuring pure safe and clean drinking water at any place be it home, PG, hostel or office. The compact design makes it easy to carry around and it also manages to store water up to 2.5 Liters which includes 1.5 Liters reserved for purified drinking water.
It comes with a 3 stage purification system that manages to removes 99.9% of virus and bacteria so that you are left with clear and safe drinking water that is free from odor. You never have to worry about the safety of your family with this water purification system as it does not compromise on health.
- This water filter pitcher comes with a 3 stage purification system including the Particulate Filter (removes dirt for clear water), natural carbon granules (removes odor and improves the taste) and the Halopure Purifying beads (kills bacteria and virus).
- The total capacity of the jug is 2.5 Liters which includes 1 Liter for the upper reservoir and 1.5 Liter for storing the purified water.
- A replaceable cartridge can provide up to 100 days of 375 Liters of clear and safe drinking water.
- The model includes a LED indicator, an ergonomic handle and an easy spout with a cover.
- Suitable for use at home, PG, hostel or office.
- The technology is certified by NSF and registered with US EPA.
- The LED indicator notifies you when a change in the cartridge is required.
- Removes 99.9% of virus and bacteria from water so that your family remains safe and healthy.
- According to a user review, the design of the spout is faulty as water spillage occurred while pouring.
5. Brita Metro Water Filter Pitcher – Advanced filter technology
Brita is a well-known water filtration systems that ensure clean, delicious and safe drinking water for you and your family. It has introduced a wide range of water filter pitchers like the Brita Metro Water Filter Pitcher. It is a white and transparent model that comes with an advanced filtration technology so that you obtain purified safe drinking water stored up to 5 cups.
Brita water filter pitcher offers compact size makes it ideal for offices and a small kitchen. It also features an LED indicator that notifies the time to change the filter so that you never have drink water that is not safe.
- The water filter pitcher has a transparent and compact design.
- Has a capacity of up to 5 cups.
- Comes with an advanced filter technology.
- It is made using BPA free plastic for the safety of consumers.
- Comes with a lock system on the lid.
- Features an LED indicator.
- Color: white.
- The LED indicator notifies you when change in filter is needed.
- Removes zinc, cadmium, mercury, copper and reduces the taste of chlorine from water.
- A single Brita Water Filter Pitcher can replace 300 16.9 ounces plastic water bottles for saving money and reducing waste.
- It is a bit expensive.
6. Peco Ph Alkaline Pitcher Ionizer Antioxidant Filtered Water Jug – Economic design
Alkaline water is the best form of water that comes with various health benefits to mankind. This Peco pH Alkaline Pitcher Ionizer uses a ceramic media to convert normal tap water into alkaline water with high pH and negative ORP. This water obtained is much more cleaner, clearer and also is full of flavor making it suitable for cooking purposes as well. The product on the other hand comes with a convenient economical design that prevents limescale build-up for enhanced durability.
- It converts tap water into filtered alkaline and ionized pure water.
- Comes with a cartridge that removes the taste of chlorine and odor from the water.
- The ceramic media alkalizes the water which in turn has a number of benefits.
- The capacity of the jug is 3.5 Liters.
- Made using strong polycarbonate material.
- The alkaline water with a high pH level and negative ORP slows down aging and prevents diseases like cancer.
- Drinking alkaline water ensures a healthy mind and body with great skin and hair.
- You get cleaner and clearer drinking water that is safe for you and your family.
- Comes with an economic and convenient design.
- Does not come with an alkaline tester.
7. Well Blue Alkaline Water Pitcher – Smart digital indicator
The Well Blue Alkaline water pitcher comes with a capacity of 3.5 L so that you can have an ample amount of purified water stored for your family. It purifies water by converting normal tap water into alkaline water with a high pH level so that its intake benefits your health in many ways. The alkaline water is free from chlorine and contaminants so that your family remains safe and healthy at all times.
- Converts normal tap water into alkaline water.
- The capacity of pitcher 3.5 Liters.
- Filters out chlorine and other contaminants from the water.
- Comes with a smart digital indicator to notify you when you need to change the filter.
- Alkaline water comes with many health benefits.
- The water obtained is clear, safe and full of flavor.
- It reduces the size of the molecule so that the water is easy to absorb.
- No such cons were mentioned by users.
8. KENT Alkaline Water Filter Pitcher – The Guaranteed Water Filter Pitcher
Kent water filter pitcher ensures purified safe drinking water with a well-balanced pH level so that you and your family can lead a healthy lifestyle. The alkaline water obtained is clear from physical and chemical impurities because of the sediment and carbon filters. Moreover, water has a decent taste that is fresh and suitable for consumption. Kent is also a leading water purification brand that offers guarantee for its products making it a good option to consider for a water filter pitcher.
- Comes with a sediment filter that removes the impurities physically present in the water.
- The capacity of the pitcher: 3.5 L.
- Constructed using unbreakable food grade material.
- Has an easy-fill lid and a handle that ensures a comfortable grip.
- The carbon filter removes the chemical impurities such as chlorine from the water.
- Has a 1-year warranty.
- Increases the pH level of the water to 8.5-9.5 level for enhanced health.
- Improves the anti-oxidation ability.
- It reduces the Oxygen Reduction Potential (ORP) of the water so that it tastes clean and fresh.
- As per a user, the pH value of the water does not change.
- Quality of the pitcher could be better as it leaks.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many times should you change the filter of the water filter pitcher?
The number of times you change the filter of your water pitcher depends on the level of contamination of your water. Water with a higher level of contaminants will clog the filters much faster and hence will require frequent replacing. However, most filters requires changing after every 2-3 months.
2. How do you change the filter?
Changing the filter requires very little effort and it can be done within just a few minutes. However, before that, you would need to soak the new filter in the water for 10-15 minutes. After draining the new filter remove the old one and replace it with the new filter. Now let it filter out water in the pitcher three times where the filtered water is thrown each time. This allows the filter to activate before use.
Water Filter Pitchers are a life saver when it comes to a portable water purification system. It saves space in your kitchen and also manages to provide safe and crystal clear drinking water at all times. The article hopes to help you find the ideal option that will suit your requirement. For this, you are advised to go through the buyer’s guide before making a selection.
The list of top 9 water filter pitchers will also help you in deciding. You can choose any of the products reviewed and purchase them from the links mentioned. The Nakii Long-Lasting Water Filter Pitcher is a suitable option to consider as it is our number one choice. You can also go for the Peco Ph Alkaline Pitcher Ionizer Antioxidant Filtered Water Jug if you wish to obtain alkaline drinking water. We now come to the end of this article with the hope that it finds you the best water filter, pitcher.