9 Best VR Headsets
Virtual reality is generating immense buzz with its wide range of applications across various fields in recent times.
For the uninitiated, it is a device that you wear on your head that instantly teleports you to a riveting virtual audio visual experience. It makes you feel like you are a part of whatever you are watching.
No longer associated with the gaming industry only, this innovative technology now is being increasingly applied in various sectors such as training medical students, sports training, military training, leisure, therapy for paraplegics, etc.
A good quality VR headset enables you dive into immersive experiences in great detail and high-definition while playing high-end video games or watching shows and movies.
So now you have got an overview of the VR headsets and its existence. But in order to buy one of these, you need to have comprehensive knowledge. So to aid you in the buying process, we have included types of VR headsets, purchase guide, FAQs, and the top 9 best rated VR headset in the market.
9 Top VR Headsets in India
|Product (Best Brands)||Best Price|
High immersive in-gaming experience
Commendable picture quality
Offers memorable experience
Types of VR Headset
There are mainly three types of VR headsets available in the market. Read on to know more about them:
Tethered VR headsets
Tethered VR headsets, as the name suggests, are physically tethered or connected to a computer or a TV via cables. These premium headsets are on the high-end side due to the amazing quality of immersion it provides.
Using these VR headsets require a lot of space and a stable connection to a powerful computer. If you have the money to spare and a high-power computer, these headsets will offer the best VR experience.
Standalone VR headsets
These headsets are devices specially designed to deliver the VR experience without any outside connection. It is standalone in the sense that it has an in-built battery, storage, memory and processing chip. You just have to put it on and you are ready to dive into the virtual world.
It is not space-limiting like the tethered headsets and can be used anywhere you like. However, they are less powerful, as they cannot harness the power of a computer.
This type of headset is most popular as it is quite affordable without compromising too much on the actual VR experience. Companies are focusing on developing this category and with time, these devices will get smaller and more powerful.
Smartphone VR headsets
Again, as the name suggests, these headsets make use of a smartphone for a VR experience. The user must slide their phone into the headset rig, which has a lens that creates a sense of depth of whatever is being played on your phone screen.
The quality and power of this headset is dependent on the processing power of the smartphone itself. So, if you have a top-of-the-line smartphone, you can confidently go for these type of headsets.
Buyer’s Guide for VR Headset
Here’s a list of factors to look at while buying a VR headset.
It’s essential to know how durable the VR headset is before buying it. You should know the maker of the VR headset; this will give an assurance that the VR is of good quality, strong and long-lasting.
VR headsets developers such as Oculus, Samsung, Sony, and HTC have been able to develop sturdy VR headsets and other exciting features for its customers.
The controllers ensure ease of operation. You can opt for a headset that comes with a wireless controller. Many VR headsets also come with a built-in touch control button on the side.
It enables you to control the operations of the headset during use. Also, a headset with motion control is a good choice as it ensures the best gaming experience.
Check the compatibility of the VR headset before making a purchase. It should be easy to configure or set-up using your iOS or Android smartphone app. In fact, ensure that the headband is adjustable to fit all face types. You should also be able to set the eye spacing.
Once the set up is complete, you can fit the smartphone in the front door of the headset. Ensure that the split-screen line meets the middle screen.
It is important to check the connection interface of the VR headset. You may connect the headset to your iOS or Android devices wirelessly. Other connectivity options are HDMI, AUX, stereo headphone jack, USB cable type-C, etc.
The cost of the VR headset should be taken into consideration before purchase. Reliable companies develop most high-cost VR headsets. These companies ensure that user satisfaction is guaranteed.
While most low-cost VR headsets were created for users who cannot afford the high-cost headsets, there’s no assurance of their quality or durability.
Ensure that the VR headset is compatible with the device you intend pairing. Some VR headsets are not compatible with some accessories such as smartphones, TV.
Purchasing a VR headset that isn’t compatible with your pairing devices will result in waste of money. So, make sure the product descriptions are thoroughly checked before buying the headset.
VR headsets are equipped with super powerful external sensors that track your movement in real time. They come with the best room scale VR technologies, i.e., your real-time actions are reflected in the real world.
So, ensure you pick a VR headset that can mimic your real-time movements efficiently and also give the most enjoyable adventures. Therefore, Make sure you understand the product sensor description before you buy it.
Software availability is an essential thing to know before purchase. Make sure that there is enough content available in the store before purchasing the headset.
Content may include games, videos, music, TV shows, maps, and more. Ensure that updates and upgrades are available for the headset if the need arises. Installing them will improve the VR experience with new.
9 Best VR Headsets
1. HTC VIVE – Virtual Reality System – Our Pick- Great controllers & adjustments
HTC developed the HTC VIVE for the best virtual reality experience. It comes with over a hundred games available on Steam VR and Viveport platforms, and it can also be played online.
It has multiple eye relief adjustments that include a lens distance and an IPD to make the view clear and convenient. It comes with wireless controllers to provide intuitive and natural interaction with the VR headset, a base station.
Its platforms include Viveport and other operating systems such as Windows. It comes with a field view of 110 degrees.
- It includes a headset, wireless controllers, base stations, earbuds, mounting pads.
- It comes with an adjustable Headset strap and two eye relief adjustments.
- It comes with a power adapter with micro USB chargers.
- Sync cable, HDMI cable, and USB cable.
- Computer requirement: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX 480 or better, Intel Core i5-4590 or AMD FX 8350 or better, 4GB RAM or more, HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer, USB 1xUSB 2.0 or better port, Windows OS 7 SP1 or later.
- It gives you the best experience when in use.
- Battery is appreciable.
- It comes with a variety of exciting games in store to download and play.
2. PS VR with Camera Bundle (PS4) – High immersive in-gaming experience
A PlayStation console can deliver a new world of gaming experiences through the VR. It has the plug and play feature: plug the PlayStation VR headset to your console and you are set to go.
It has an advanced OLED display of 5.7″ with a resolution of 1080p running at 120 frames per second. It comes with 3D audio technology. This device was designed for comfort for all users.
- OLED display delivers crisp and clear visuals.
- It comes with a six-axis motion sensing system, i.e., three-axis gyroscope and a three-axis accelerometer.
- 3D Audio Technology has been integrated
- Connection interface includes HDMI, AUX, USB, AC adaptor, and Stereo Headphone jack.
- It provides a highly immersive in-game experience.
- Reasonable price for a headset.
- Motion control support.
- Includes a camera.
- No blurring can be observed.
- It works well with non-VR apps and games.
- Display not up to standards.
- There may be some motion tracking interference when playing in brightly lit rooms.
3. Procus ONE Virtual Reality Headset
The Procus One Virtual Reality headset comes with an adjustable headband and 40 mm lens. The headband ensures a secure fit for users with different face type and head sizes. It also features head support that ensures comfortable viewing.
You get to enjoy 360-degree videos, gaming, movies and more in an expanded field of view. It is compatible with a wide range of iOS and Android devices. This VR headset will ensure a completely immersive visual experience.
- It has an in-built touch button that helps you enjoy content with ease.
- Compatible with iOS and Android smartphones with a screen size of 4.7-6 inches.
- Features an adjustable headband that ensures the best fit for different face type.
- Comes with a free VR game “Isolated”.
- Compatible with cross-platform devices including HTC, Windows, LG, Samsung, K4 Note and others.
- Warranty: 3 months.
- Ensures an immersive viewing experience with its expanded field of view.
- The comfortable headband allows convenient head positioning.
- Allows you to plug-in your earphones externally.
- Light-weight and portable.
- The IDP adjustment feature ensures safety to your eyes.
- Users might find it difficult to operate.
4. Oculus Go Standalone Virtual Reality Headset – 32GB – Innovative model
Oculus Go Standalone Virtual Reality Headset is a lightweight, and sturdy headset with an elegant design. This VR headset Oculus was designed with breathable fabrics, and injection foam molding for professional athletes.
It improves vision and reduces the screen door effect when in use. It comes with an inbuilt speaker that makes the VR headset easy to share with someone else.
It offers a broad field of view with significantly reduced glare. It requires no additional devices to operate. Oculus Go is very portable, comfortable, and easy to use.
- 32GB storage space.
- Innovative design, breathable fabrics, and injection foam molding.
- Inbuilt speakers.
- Intuitive controller.
- Fast switch LCD display
- Lightweight and easy to use.
- Great experience while watching 360-degree videos.
- Remote battery drains very fast.
5. HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset
HP Reverb virtual reality headset is an ultra-lightweight headset that is designed for immersive and game-changing experiences. It is a professional headset that exceeds expectations and is setting higher standards in commercial VR.
This VR headset can be used for training activities that involve high-risk safety simulations, designing concepts, healthcare training for simulating complex surgeries, etc.
It is designed for providing ultimate optical clarity and seamless viewing experiences.
- It features 9.3 megapixels of combined panel resolution with an extended 114 degrees field.
- It has a full RGB subpixel stripe that ensures exceptional visuals.
- It offers 2160 x 2160 resolution per eye for staggering optical clarity.
- It is compatible with Windows Mixed Reality headset and SteamVR.
- It has a built-in spatial audio along with removable and adjustable headphones for engaging audio experiences.
- It comes with dual mics and a smart assistant that helps in effortless communication.
- It provides superb wireless controller tracking and seamless syncing through its integrated Bluetooth functionality.
- This VR headset is designed for a custom fit with its soft and adjustable straps.
- It features a leather faceplate that is easy to wipe and remove.
- The presence of vents ensures optimal air circulation and keep heat in check.
- It shows a wide range of compatibility with all USB Type-C port laptops and other devices.
- It has a lightweight and streamlined design that is easy to wear.
- This VR headset provides detailed, natural, and deeper immersive experiences.
- It offers up to7 times more retention when used for education or training than lecture-style learning.
- With this VR headset, you can create and manage workflows, reviews, collaborations, and experiences.
- This headset helps the clients to visualize your plan in great detail and with pronounced clarity.
- It can be a little uncomfortable for people with glasses.
6. Samsung Gear VR W/Controller – Latest Edition (US Version) – High-quality product
This VR headset from Samsung has an innovative build design. Slide your smartphone into the device and you are ready to have the best experience in a virtual environment.
It has an extensive library of premium content. It works with all Samsung Galaxy smartphones. You can watch a movie, TV show, play a game or chat in the virtual environment.
- New social feature for interaction.
- It works with all Samsung Galaxy smartphones.
- 1 Lithium-ion batteryincluded.
- It comes with a 101-degree field of view.
- The quality of product is appreciable.
- Reasonable price.
- Very responsive and convenient to handle.
- It may not be compatible with older Samsung phones.
7. EDGEMETER VR SHINECON 9.0 GE07 3D Virtual Reality Headset with Stereo Headphone– Adjustable features
The unique feature of this product is the in-built stereo headphones. It has an adjustable nylon headband, innovative fabric design, PMMA optical resin lens, and eight layers of Nano coating. It reduces visible deformity and eye fatigue.
It comes with a soft leather pad that keeps you feeling comfortable. It gives you powerful sound and creates a quiet surround that helps you enjoy your VR movies, music, and games. It comes with a soft sponge which is placed inside the headset to protect the screen from getting scratched.
- Good surround sound.
- Adjustable headphones.
- 40MM high-quality glass.
- Compatible with all Android and iOS phones.
- Adjustable nylon headband.
- Rich sound quality.
- Built-in soft and breathable leather.
- Good sound quality.
- Commendable lens quality.
- Sturdy build quality.
- Durable and easy to use.
- No remote included.
8. OCULAR Razor Virtual Reality Glasses with 42mm Lenses for 4?-6? Android Smartphones – High-quality performance
Ocular Razor VR comes with a high-quality 42mm HD resin lens with multi-layered Nano coating. Its VR glasses have a fully flexible design that allows you to adjust lens distance. The model has super soft cushioning for your face with well-placed ventilation for heat removal from your smartphone.
Ocular Razor VR lenses are designed to reduce eye fatigue, and also eliminate simulator sickness. It is compatible with Android, IOS, and Windows, and it can comfortably accommodate smartphone screen sizes between 4 to 6 inches.
Its HD resolution provides sharp graphics and smooth action for a pleasant experience. It also tracks your head movement.
- Compatible with Android, IOS, and Windows.
- Adjustable lens mechanical knob.
- Adjustable head straps.
- High definition IMAX cinema effect.
- It has a space that accommodates screen sizes of between 4 to 6 inches.
- 42mm crystal clear lenses.
- Engaging 3D experience.
- Unique design for comfort.
- It is lightweight and portable.
- High-quality and unmatched performance.
- No remote included.
- Vision may become dull after a while.
9. ALDIVO Virtual Reality Headset 3D Glasses Version 2.0 Vr Box for Coolpad Cool 1 – Offers memorable experience
Aldivo VR headset was made with a spherical 42mm diameter resin lens. It keeps the distortion to the minimum when magnifying the images and provides a more comprehensive view.
Its T shaped straps enable easy adjustment for different people. It also decreases the pressure around your eyes so you can feel comfortable when watching a movie.
- It can comfortably accommodate between 3.5 to 6.5 mobile phones screen size.
- Adjustable pupil distance and sight distance.
- 3D effect with visual sliding control function.
- Good quality body material.
- Provides the best experience
- Ideal for people with myopia under 600 degrees
- Position of the spherical resin lens can be adjusted
- Great material quality
- Low-quality glasses.
- No return day policy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does all VR headset require a gaming PC?
No, only tethered VR headsets require a powerful or a gaming computer.
2. Can I use my eyeglasses with the VR headset?
Yes, you can. Some headsets have a space that fits your eyeglasses.
3. What happens when I don’t use the correct PC requirement to run my VR headset?
The visuals may be blurry, choppy and not up to the mark. You should make sure that you have a computer that matches the minimum requirements of the headset you are buying.
4. Do all VR headsets come with wire cord?
No, all headsets do not have a wired cord for connection.
5. Do I need a battery to operate the VR Headset?
No, not all VR headsets will need a battery for its operation.
6. What content can I access from the VR headset?
Depending on the brand that manufactures the headset, you can access multiple games and movies from their library. You can also access free VR content available on the web.
7. Do all VR headsets come with surround sounds?
No, all VR headsets do not have a wired connection. Some were created with a 3.5mm jack that will require an external audio headset for sound.
The way VR is shaping our future with its amazing features can leave anyone awe-struck. It holds great potential and there is no better time to learn and get used to VR. There is a wide scope of using VR headsets for various applications.
Before purchasing a VR headset, get a clear idea about how and where you are going to use it. The buying guide and tips provided in this article would help you to narrow down your options.