8 Best VR Headsets
Virtual reality headset is a headset that displays virtual reality to the user. It is commonly used for video games, and they can also be used in other applications such as trainers and simulators. Virtual reality will put you in a virtual environment as if you’re genuinely there.
Virtual reality has become a promising technology, and more makers of the Virtual reality headset have decided to add more important features to it. VR headset comprises of stereo sound, head motion tracking sensors (which may include accelerometers, gyroscopes, and structured light systems), and a stereoscopic head-mounted display.
Virtual reality headset is currently used to train medical students for surgery. They can perform a basic procedure in a virtual environment. Operations are performed on virtual patients, and it also allows medical students to recheck the surgeries performed to take a note of the vital point they might have missed. Medical students can also watch surgery procedures from the lead surgeon without missing necessary details. This, in return, equips students with critical skills needed to perform surgical operations.
Military personnel also make use of Virtual reality headset for training. Virtual reality headset has become a vital tool for the most military base, especially in the United States of America. VR headset allows military personnel to interact with virtual creations in a virtual environment. Military actions can be performed in this environment to help improve the performance of the soldiers during wars.
Also, a significant effect with this type of operation is that missions are repeated severally to increase the sensitivity of military personnel. It can be used to play video games such as Star Trek, Swords of Gargantua, Stormland, Duck Season, and more. Virtual reality technology can also be used to view multimedia such as photos, movies, TV shows, and more.
Virtual reality headset can be used in sports as a training aid to help measure athletic performance and technique. It can be used to treat traumatic stress, and it also endorses learning and teaching in various fields.
The road to developing a virtual reality headset started in 1991 by Sega. Recently, several companies have gone ahead to release a different series of virtual reality headset. Companies such as Sony, HTC, Samsung, LG, Tencent, and Oculus have all produced unique virtual reality headset for use. They have also designed virtual reality headset for smartphones, and more.
After the purchase of your Virtual reality headset, connect the battery and other requirements. If your VR headset is compatible with your mobile phone, pair your VR headset with it. Download the latest specification to your phone if requested, wear the headset the appropriate way, and you’re set to have a lovely experience.
So now you have got an overview of the VR headsets and its existence. But in order to buy one of these, you need to have comprehensive knowledge. So to aid you in the buying process, we have included types of VR headsets, purchase guide, FAQs, and the top 8 best rated VR headset in the market.
8 top VR headsets
High immersive in-gaming experience
Commendable picture quality
Offers memorable experience
Types of VR Headset
There are several types of virtual reality headset available today, let’s take a look at some.
Oculus manufactured oculus rift VR headset in 2016; Oculus is a division of Facebook Inc.The company started producing Oculus VR headset after a fundraising campaign held in 2012 to raise funds for the development.
The Oculus Rift comes with two OLED displays along with with a 1080 x 1200 resolution per eye, a refresh rate of 90Hz, and field of view of 110 degrees. It also comes with a rational positional tracking. It has an inbuilt headset that gives a 3D audio effect. Oculus Rift was designed for video gaming, and it delivers the best in virtual experiences when in use.
HTC VR was developed in partnership with Valve, and Steam VR. It is the leading Virtual reality headset available in the market. It comprises of the best technology which makes it sturdy, sleek, and very comfortable to use. It’s one of the most innovative VR headset kits. HTC Vive delivers right room-scale technology with fully equipped gaming experiences.
Samsung Gear VR
Samsung electronics developed Samsung Gear VR in partnership with Oculus for Samsung smartphones. The headset was released in 2015, and it is compatible with Samsung Galaxy devices smartphones.
The devices act as a headset display and processor, while the gear will be the controller. The devices are connected to the Virtual reality headset via Micro-USB or USB-C. The VR headset has a button at the side, a sensor that detects when the headset is on, and a touchpad for movements.
Sony PlayStation VR
Sony Computer Entertainment developed Sony PlayStation VR headset on October 2016. It was built to be fully operative with the Sony PlayStation 4 video game console. The Sony PlayStation VR can give the best of gaming experience by displaying the output to both the television and the PlayStation VR headset.
The TVS will either display a separate image for competitive or cooperation play or view the pictures on the headset. The Sony PlayStation VR headset was developed with a 5.7-inch OLED display with a resolution display of 1080pixel. It works well with either the PlayStation Move or standard DualShock 4 controllers. It uses a 3.5mm headphone jack and has a 3D audio effect.
Google VR headset produces a high-quality display for an incredible experience. Google developed it, and it comes with a variety of headsets such as Google Cardboard, Google Earth, Google Daydream, and jump.
The Google cardboard VR headset is a low-cost device that encourages development in virtual reality applications. You can build your view from an inexpensive component made by Google.
Google Daydream was designed for you to have incredible adventures by viewing multimedia at 180 degrees. Google Daydream comprises of a lens that can be used with a mobile phone. Google Earth allows you to go anywhere by putting the world within your range. The jump was designed to enable movie producers to create 3D-360 video with automated stitching and cameras.
The VR box is a brand that provides cheap quality Virtual reality headset at a meager price. It is a 3D supported device and offers good quality on when in use. It has a plastic body HMD that lets you place your Android or IOS smartphone to enjoy reality games, 3D videos, and more.
Bobo VR is compatible with IOS and Android systems. A perfect choice for home entertainment, it can preview multimedia in IMAX 3D. It comes with a broad vision that’s closer to the actual perspective. It has a diopter adjustment, pupil distance adjustment, and more.
Mi VR headset was developed by Chinese technology company Xiaomi in partnership with Oculus to build a standalone virtual reality headset. The Mi VR is powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon with a fast switch LCD of 2560 by 1440 pixels resolution. It has a higher refresh rate that helps to reduce latency. The headset supports 3D videos and has a built-in 360 degrees sound capability.
VR shinecon headset is a virtual reality headset that was designed and developed by ‘Shinecon’ a Chinese company. It comes with a high definition 3D effect, large display, with a result much better than IMAX 2D/3D. Works with Android and IOS smartphones, and it comes with several adjustment features.
Buyer’s Guide for VR Headset
Choosing the best VR headset is very important for an enjoyable experience. Here’s a list of guidelines to look at while trying to buy a VR headset.
It’s essential to know how durable the VR headset is before buying it. To be sure of obtaining a durable VR headset, it’s important to know the maker of the VR headset; this will give an assurance that the VR is valuable for you.
VR headsets developers such as Oculus, Samsung, Sony, and HTC have been able to develop sturdy VR headsets and other exciting features for its customers. Therefore, it will be useful to know the developer before buying it.
Some VR headsets are not as strong as others; these devices were made with low-quality materials to showcase. A hard impact with the ground can cause the VR Headset to a malfunction or get damaged. Choosing a durable VR headset for enjoyable use is excellent.
The cost of the VR headset should be taken into consideration before purchase. Reliable companies develop most high-cost VR headsets; these companies ensure that user satisfaction is guaranteed. While most low-cost VR headsets were created for users, who cannot afford the high-cost headsets, but there’s no assurance how durable they’re after purchase. It’s good to purchase a VR headset you can afford.
Ensure that the VR headset is compatible with the device you intend pairing. Some VR headsets are not compatible with some accessories such as smartphones, TV.
Purchasing a VR headset that isn’t compatible with your pairing devices will result in wastage. So, make sure the product descriptions are thoroughly checked before buying the headset.
VR headsets are equipped with super powerful external sensors that track your movement in real time. They come with the best room scale VR technologies, i.e., your real-time actions are reflected in the real world.
So, ensure you pick a VR headset that can mimic your real-time movements efficiently and also give the most enjoyable adventures. Therefore, Make sure you understand the product sensor description before you buy it.
Software availability is an essential thing to know before purchase. Make sure that a lot of VR contents are available in the store before purchasing the headset because those contents make the virtual environment an enjoyable place when in use.
Contents may include games, videos, music, TV shows, maps, and more content of your choice. Also, ensure that updates and upgrades are available for the headset if the need arises. Installing them will prove that the VR is updated with new features in technology.
1. HTC VIVE – Virtual Reality System – Our Pick- Great controllers & adjustments
HTC developed the HTC VIVE for the best virtual reality experience. It comes with over a hundred games available on Steam VR and Viveport platforms, and it can also be played online.
It has multiple eye relief adjustments that include a lens distance and an IPD to make preview clear and convenient. It comes with wireless controllers to provide intuitive and natural interaction with the VR headset, a base station.
Its platforms include Viveport and other operating systems such as Windows. It comes with a field view of 110 degrees.
- It includes Headset, wireless controllers, base stations, earbuds, mounting pads.
- Computer requirement includes; Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX 480 or better, Intel Core i5-4590 or AMD FX 8350 or better, 4GB RAM or more, HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer, USB 1xUSB 2.0 or better port, Windows OS 7 SP1 or later.
- It comes with an adjustable Headset strap and two eye relief adjustments.
- It comes with a power adapter with micro USB chargers.
- Sync cable, HDMI cable, and USB cable.
- It gives you the best experience when in use.
- Battery is appreciable
- It comes with a variety of exciting games in store to download and play.
2. PS VR with Camera Bundle (PS4) – High immersive in-gaming experience
A PlayStation console delivers a new world of gaming experiences through the VR. It comes with a plug and plays feature, i.e., plug the PlayStation VR headset and you are set.
It has an advanced VR display comprising of a 5.7? OLED display with a resolution of 1080p running at 120 frames per second. It comes with 3D audio technology. This device was designed for comfort at all levels.
- OLED Display with 5.7-inch panel size.
- It comes with a six-axis motion sensing system, i.e., three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer.
- 3D Audio Technology has been integrated
- Connection interface includes HDMI, AUX, USB, AC adaptor, and Stereo Headphone jack.
- It provides a highly immersive in-game experience.
- Reasonable price for a headset.
- Motion control support.
- Includes a camera
- Plug & Play
- No blurring can be observed
- It works well with non-VR apps and games.
- Display not up to standard.
- Slightly less potent than other valuable VR headset.
- There may be some motion tracking interference when playing in brightly lit rooms.
3. Oculus Go Standalone Virtual Reality Headset – 32GB – Innovative model
Oculus Go Standalone Virtual Reality Headset is a lightweight, and sturdy headset with an elegant design. This VR headset Oculus was designed under an innovative model, breathable fabrics, and injection foam molding for professional athletes.
It improves vision, and it reduces the screen door effect when in use. It comes with an inbuilt speaker, and it makes the VR headset easy to share with someone else. It also offers a broad field of view with significantly reduced glare. It requires no additional devices needed when in VR. Oculus Go is very portable, comfortable, and very easy to use.
- 32GB storage space.
- Innovative design, breathable fabrics, and injection foam molding.
- Inbuilt speakers.
- Intuitive Controller.
- Fast switch LCD.
- Lightweight and very easy to use.
- An excellent standalone VR HMD.
- Great experience while watching 360-degree videos
- Freedom from cable plugging.
- Remote battery drains very fast.
4. Irusu Mini VR Virtual Reality 3D Glasses with Bigger 42mm HD Optical Resin – Commendable picture quality
Irusu Mini VR Virtual Reality 3D Glasses come with a 42mm diameter HD optical lenses. It uses HD optical resin for smooth display and attractive graphics. It reduces deformity and glare, and it effectively prevents eye fatigue. It has an adjustable pupil distance for better viewing of contents.
It allows you to wear your glasses when using a VR headset comfortably. It is compatible with most mobile phones. Irusu Mini VR Virtual Reality 3D Glasses were built with features similar to Google cardboard VR.2
- Unique front mobile holder.
- Compatible with Android, IOS mobile phones.
- Compatible mobile size of between 4 to 6 inches.
- Three-month warranty included.
- Interpupillary distance adjustment.
- Good picture quality.
- The quality of the product is appreciable.
- It is lightweight and robust.
- Amazing experience with 360-degree videos
- It allows you to wear your glasses with the headset comfortably.
- Does not come with a remote controller
5. Samsung Gear VR W/Controller – Latest Edition (US Version) – High-quality product
This VR headset Samsung has an innovative built quality. It comes with no wires, and it’s easy to use. Connect your smartphone into the device to have the best experience in a virtual environment.
It has an extensive library of premium content. It works with all Samsung Galaxy smartphones. It comes with new social features to enhance interaction with friends in a virtual environment. You can watch a movie, TV show, play a game or chat in the virtual environment.
- New social feature for interaction.
- It works with all Samsung Galaxy smartphones.
- 1 Lithium-ion batteries included.
- It comes with a 101-degree field of view.
- Users have appreciated the quality of the product.
- Reasonable price.
- Very responsive and very convenient to handle.
- A user complained that it is not compatible with all Samsung phones
6. EDGEMETER VR SHINECON 9.0 GE07 3D Virtual Reality Headset with Stereo Headphone– Adjustable features
It comes with a comfortable wearing feature compared to other VR headset. It has an adjustable nylon headband, innovative fabric design, PMMA optical resin lens, and eight layers of Nano coating. It reduces visible deformity and eye fatigue.
It comes with a soft leather pad that keeps you feeling good while watching a movie. It gives you powerful sound and creates a quiet surround that helps you enjoy your VR movies, music, and games. It comes with a soft sponge which is placed inside the headset to protect the screen from getting scratched.
- Good surround sound.
- Adjustable headphones.
- 40MM high-quality glass.
- Compatible with all Android and IOS phones.
- Adjustable nylon headband.
- Rich sound quality
- Built-in soft and breathable leather.
- Good sound quality.
- Commendable lens quality
- Sturdy built quality
- Durable and easy to use.
- No remote included.
7. OCULAR Razor Virtual Reality Glasses with 42mm Lenses for 4?-6? Android Smartphones – High-quality performance
Ocular Razor VR comes with a high-quality 42mm HD resin lens with multi-layered Nano coating. Its VR glasses have a fully flexible design that allows you to adjust lens distance. The model has a super soft cushioning for your face with well-placed ventilation for heat removal of your smartphone.
Ocular Razor VR lenses are designed to reduce eye fatigue, and also eliminate simulator sickness. It is compatible with Android, IOS, and Windows, and it can comfortably accommodate smartphone screen sizes of between 4 to 6 inches.
Its HD resolution provides attractive graphics and smooth action for a pleasant experience. It is also designed to track your head movement. It is lightweight and also intended to give the best experience.
- Compatible with Android, IOS, and Windows.
- Adjustable lens mechanical knob.
- Soft cushioning for your face.
- Adjustable head straps
- High definition IMAX cinema effect.
- It has a space that accommodates screen sizes of between 4 to 6 inches.
- 42mm crystal clear lenses.
- Engaging 3D experience.
- Unique design for comfort.
- It is lightweight and portable.
- High-quality and unmatched performance.
- No remote included.
- Vision may become dull after a while.
8. ALDIVO Virtual Reality Headset 3D Glasses Version 2.0 Vr Box for Coolpad Cool 1 – Offers memorable experience
Aldivo VR headset was made with a spherical 42mm diameter resin lens. It lowers down the distortion to the minimum when magnifying the images and providing a more comprehensive view.
Its T shaped straps enable adjustment for different people. It can also decrease the pressure around your eyes so you can feel very comfortable when watching a movie. Smartphones can be fit into it easily. It gives 3D picture effect and a wonderful feeling when it’s in use. It lets you experience display in full immerse environment.
- 42mm diameter spherical resin lens.
- T-shaped straps with an adjustable knob.
- It can comfortably accommodate between 3.5 to 6.5 mobile phones screen size.
- Adjustable pupil distance and sight distance.
- 3D effect with visual sliding control function.
- Good quality body material.
- Provides the best experience
- Ideal for people with myopia under 600 degrees
- Position of the spherical resin lens can be adjusted
- Great material quality
- Low-quality glasses.
- No return day policy.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does all VR headset require a gaming PC?
No, not all VR headset requires a gaming PC. Some will require only smartphones, while some will require a gaming PC.
2. Can I use my eyeglasses with the VR headset?
Yes, you can. Some headsets have created a unique space that fits your eyeglasses.
3. What happens when I don’t use the correct PC requirement to run my VR headset?
Your display may become blurred, and your content may get stuck while viewing them or it may not respond.
4. Do all VR headsets come with wire cord?
No, not all headsets have wired cord for connection.
5. Does it size fit all?
Yes, it comes with a strap size that is adjusted to fit everyone from ages 7 and above.
6. Should I download content from the same store?
For Oculus products you can download contents from Oculus store, while for HTC Vive you can use Viveport or steam. You can download contents into your mobile to use on VR headset that requires an only mobile phone to operate.
7. Does it show movies in 3D?
Yes, it does. Some VR headsets also come with features that let you browse the web.
8. Do I need a battery to operate the VR Headset?
No, not all VR headsets will need a battery for its operation.
9. What type of game can I play on it?
You can play most VR games supported, such as action, sports, warn, and more.
10. Do all VR headsets come with surround sounds?
No, not all VR headsets have to surround sound. Some were created with a 3.5mm jack that will require an external audio headset for music.
11. Is HTC Vive better than Oculus Rift?
We cannot say HTC Vive is better than Oculus, or Oculus Rift is better than HTC Vive because they are both one of the best VR headset available, and when they are compared both have their weakness and strength.
Where Oculus Rift has a drawback, HTC Vive is active at that aspect, and where HTC Vive has a disadvantage Oculus Rift is active at it. So, the choice for which is better depends on a range of factors considered.
When buying a VR headset, it’s essential to know the purpose before purchasing it. So, with the details provided, you can now choose the VR headset that best works for you.
In the above-mentioned guide, we have chosen the top 8 best VR headset but from these our top three expert picks include HTC VIVE, PS VR with Camera Bundle and Oculus Go standalone VR Headset. These are the best VR headset on Amazon that can be purchased if you want to acquire 3D experience.