5 Best Treadmill Mats
Investing in equipment for your home gym or commercial purposes is the key to your physical fitness. However, it is important to be equipped with essential accessories that ensure safety and enhance your overall workout experience.
Treadmills are important gym equipment that provides several health benefits. It is important to invest in treadmill accessories like safety keys and treadmill mats for its safe use. Treadmill mats are designed to be denser and heavier than yoga mats. They act as a protective barrier between your flooring and treadmill.
Also, there are many other reasons for buying a treadmill mat which you will know about in the next section of this article. There are many options when it comes to buying a treadmill mat. Certain mats can also be used with exercise bikes, elliptical machines, and other heavy gym equipment.
We provide a comprehensive buying guide to help you with your purchase. This is followed by detailed reviews of the top 5 treadmill mats available online. We also provide an FAQ section towards the end of this article to help you gain more insight.
5 Best Treadmill Mats
Reasons for Buying a Treadmill Mat
Protects flooring from damage:
The heavyweight treadmills, exercise bikes, elliptical machines, and other gym equipment leave dents and scratches on your expensive hardwood flooring. The treadmill mat, when placed under your equipment, acts as a barrier between your flooring and equipment. Hence, it protects your gym or fitness room floor from damage.
The non-slip surface of the treadmill mat prevents your gym equipment from moving. As a result, it ensures stability during the toughest workout sessions. This keeps you safe by preventing unwanted accidents and injuries.
Absorbs noise and vibrations:
The cushioning and thickness of the mat absorbs shock and vibrations from the treadmill. This ensures a quiet workout session. Also, the high impact material of the mat reduces shocks to your joints and ligaments.
Provides a professional and clean look:
Placing a treadmill mat under your gym equipment provides a professional look to your home gym. Moreover, the waterproof material of the mat absorbs water during your workout session. The mat can also be washed easily. Hence, it ensures clean and hygienic surroundings.
Ensures the durability of the equipment:
Treadmill mats have versatile use as they can be used with most gym equipment. They offer protection against damage to your high-end treadmills and exercise bikes. Also, they prevent dust and other particles from entering the motor of your treadmill. This ensures the durability and efficient performance of your equipment.
Buyer’s Guide For Treadmill Mat
The size of the treadmill mat is an important factor that should be considered before purchase. Check the length and width of the mat.
Ensure that the treadmill mat measures long enough to accommodate most heavy-weight gym equipment including treadmills, exercise bikes, elliptical machines, and other cardio machines. The dimensions of the mat should match the size and type of equipment.
Thickness and Density
Opt for a high-density mat with ample thickness and cushioning. The minimum thickness of the mat should be 1/4 inches to absorb shocks and vibrations from the equipment. This will protect the floor from damage and ensure a quiet and safe workout session. Also, the adequate thickness will offer support and stability during your workout.
The mat you decide on buying should be made using high-quality rubber or PVC material. These are the two most popular materials used for the construction of treadmill mats. They are strong, long-lasting and offer high impact protection. You can also opt for a ‘greener’ treadmill mat that is made from recycled tires.
Ensure that the material of the treadmill mat is waterproof. The waterproof material of the mat will be able to absorb sweat from intense training. Hence, the surrounding area around the treadmill will remain clean, dry, and hygienic.
You can go for a treadmill mat with a regular or foldable design. A foldable mat is always a preferable option because it is convenient to store and saves a lot of space. On the other hand, a regular, heavyweight, and non-movable treadmill mat can be used as your gym flooring.
Opt for a textured design to ensure stability during your workout sessions. Also, the mat should be easy to roll and install on the floor.
Ensure that the mat you buy is made using high quality, impact-resistant, and strong material. The good quality material enhances the life of the treadmill mat. You obviously wouldn’t want your mat to be chipping off after just a few days of use. Hence, always check the quality and durability of the product before purchase.
Easy to Clean
It is very important to maintain the hygiene and cleanliness of your home gym. Washing and cleaning your treadmill mat should always be your priority. Opt for a treadmill mat that can be easily wiped using a damp cloth or washed with soap and water. It should require very little maintenance.
5 Best Treadmill Mats
1. BalanceFrom GoFit Treadmill Equipment Mat
The BalanceFoam GoFit High-density mat measures 3 feet x 6.5 feet making it suitable for most heavy gym equipment. It features a foldable design that saves space by dividing it into 13” folds. This is a high-density PVC mat that absorbs vibrations from the heavy gym equipment and also reduces noise.
It comes with a textured design that prevents your treadmill or exercise bike from moving around during the workout. Moreover, the mat is waterproof. It
- Size: 3 feet x 6.5 feet.
- The equipment mat is suitable for use with treadmills, exercise bikes, and other heavy equipment.
- Made using PVC material.
- The fold-able mat can be divided into 13” folds.
- It comes with a pattern design to ensure the stability of the equipment.
- The high-density mat protects the floor from damage.
- It comes with proper padding to absorb vibration and reduce noise.
- The foldable design saves space.
- Easy to clean.
- The thickness is less compared to other mats.
2. ProSource Treadmill Mats
The large size of this treadmill mat makes it a versatile option to consider buying. It can be used for protecting carpets and hard floors from damage caused by treadmills, exercise bikes, benches, weights, and other heavy gym equipment. The mat is made using high impact resistant, durable and strong PVC material. It also comes with a non-slip base that ensures the stability of the equipment during your workout sessions.
- Available in two designs: regular and fold-able.
- Size (L x W): 7 feet x 3 feet (folding) and 6.5 feet x 3 feet (regular).
- Thickness: 1/4” (folding) and 5/32” (regular).
- Suitable for use with treadmills, elliptical machines, exercise bikes, and other heavy equipment.
- Made using high impact-resistant, strong, and long-lasting PVC.
- Highly durable.
- Easy to clean and requires low maintenance.
- The large size of the mat ensures versatile use.
- Protects carpets and hard floors from damage.
- The thickness and high density of the mat absorb vibrations.
- There were issues related to the size of the mat.
- Holes were visible on the mat after a few weeks of use.
3. ProImpact Treadmill Mat
The ProImpact Treadmill mat is a commercial grade mat made in the USA from rescued tires. It is a sturdy and durable product that will not compress easily like other foam mats. The high impact resistant feature of this treadmill mat protects all hard surfaces from damage.
It also ensures a convenient workout experience by absorbing shock and noise vibrations. Hence, the non-slip mat allows you to have a quiet and stable workout session.
- Size: 37 x 5.25 x 4.75 inches.
- Weight: 7.71 kg.
- Suitable for commercial grade equipment.
- It is a super green recycled product made from rescued tires.
- The mat is slip and impact resistant.
- Designed to absorb shock and sound.
- It is long-lasting.
- It does not compress like other mats.
- Low maintenance.
- Protects hard surfaces including hardwood, tile, concrete, and low pile carpets.
- The thickness of the mat was not enough.
4. Marcy Treadmill Mat
The Marcy treadmill mat is constructed using a high impact poly-foam structure with a thickness of 0.25 inches. The design of this mat enables it to withstand heavyweights of steppers, climbers, treadmills, exercise bikes, and other high-end machines. It has a high density cushioning that absorbs the shocks and vibrations of your heavy equipment. Hence, it protects expensive carpets and flooring from damage.
- Size: 36 x 78 inches.
- Made using high impact poly-foam.
- It has a thickness of 0.25 inches.
- The mat is cushioned well to absorb shocks and vibrations.
- Designed to withstand the weight of high-end exercise machines.
- Suitable for fitness rooms and workshops.
- It helps in reducing shocks to joints and ligaments.
- Acts as a protective barrier between your floor and equipment.
- The large size mat is capable of accommodating treadmills, steppers, climbers, and other cardio machines.
- Easy to install.
- Good quality and durable product.
- It has a bad odor.
5. Kobo AC-78 Exercise Equipment Mat
The Kobo equipment mat is heavily weighted at 7.5 kg. It is non-movable and can be used as flooring for the gym. The rubber mat is highly durable and comes with a thickness of 3 mm. Hence, it is capable of absorbing shocks and impacts to protect hardwood floors and carpets from damage or scratches.
It is suitable for placement under most gym equipment. Moreover, the non-slip surface ensures stability during your workout session.
- Size: 6.6 feet x 3.4 feet (78 inches x 48 inches).
- It is a heavy-weight, non-movable treadmill mat weighing 7.5 kg.
- It comes with a 3 mm thickness.
- Suitable for most gym equipment including rowing machines, treadmills, and stationary bikes.
- Constructed using heavy-duty SBR and EPDM rubber.
- Suitable for hardwood floors, carpets, etc.
- Highly durable.
- Features an anti-slip surface.
- Ensures shock absorption and high impact protection.
- Large size mat can be used as flooring for gym.
- Easy to roll, store and spread.
- Protects flooring from damage and scratches.
- Heavy weight
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need a treadmill mat?
Yes, you will need a treadmill mat if you own a treadmill, elliptical trainer, exercise bike or any other fitness equipment. The thickness and design make it capable of withstanding heavy-weight exercise machines.
Treadmill mats are designed to offer protection to your flooring against damage, dents, and scratches. They feature textured and non-slip surfaces to ensure stability during workout.
The thickness and cushioning of the treadmill mat absorb shock and vibrations. This prevents your equipment from rattling and creating other noises which would cause a disturbance. A treadmill mat also keeps the surroundings clean by absorbing liquid spills.
2. How thick should a treadmill mat be?
The average thickness of a treadmill mat is 1/4 inches. This is suitable for those who walk or run occasionally on a treadmill. Consistent runners should opt for a treadmill mat with a thickness of 3/8 inches.
Ensure that the thickness of the mat is not less than 1/4 inches. This is the minimum thickness required for ensuring stability and support during your workout session.
3. Can you put a treadmill on the carpet?
Treadmills may cause dents and damage to your expensive carpet. Moreover, the dust and fibers of the carpet may enter the motor of the treadmill, compromising its performance. Hence, it is better to place a treadmill mat so that it acts as a barrier between the carpet and treadmill.
The treadmill mat protects your carpet from damage. It also ensures the durability and efficient performance of your treadmill and other gym equipment.
4. How do you clean a treadmill mat?
It is very important to clean your treadmill mat for its overall maintenance. Most mats can be wiped using a damp cloth. You can also wash the mat using water and soap. Ensure that it is dry before placing it back under the treadmill.
Treadmill mats ensure stability, support, and safety during intense workout sessions. They also offer protection to your flooring and enhance the life of your high-end gym equipment. Hence, it is an essential accessory required by every fitness enthusiast.
We have also listed the five best treadmill mats for you to choose from. The detailed reviews explain the pros and cons of each product. You can opt for our number one recommendation- BalanceFrom GoFit Treadmill Equipment Mat. Another suitable option would be the Pro Source Treadmill mat.
We now conclude the article hoping that you find the ideal treadmill mat. We hope this article helps!