5 Best Treadmill Mats
Running or brisk walking on a treadmill provides intensive workout sessions. However, it always carries the risk of slipping and losing your balance if your feet are not firmly planted. You can avoid the risks of getting injured with a high-quality treadmill mat.
A treadmill mat is your essential fitness accessory that provides a textured surface for improved traction during treadmill workouts. It provides enhanced safety for stabilising your body and maintaining balance during running or walking on a treadmill.
With a treadmill mat, you can maintain your balance in various body postures, and it offers superior cushioning during standing or running.
5 Best Treadmill Mats in India
Reasons for Buying a Treadmill Mat
Protects flooring from damage:
The heavyweight treadmills, exercise bikes, elliptical machines, and other gym equipment leave dents and scratches on your expensive hardwood flooring.
When placed under your equipment, the treadmill mat acts as a barrier between your flooring and equipment. Hence, it protects your gym or fitness room floor from damage.
The non-slip surface of the treadmill mat prevents your gym equipment from moving. As a result, it ensures stability during the toughest workout sessions. This keeps you safe by preventing unwanted accidents and injuries.
Absorbs noise and vibrations:
The cushioning and thickness of the mat absorbs shock and vibrations from the treadmill. This ensures a quiet workout session. Also, the high impact material of the mat reduces shocks to your joints and ligaments.
Provides a professional and clean look:
Placing a treadmill mat under your gym equipment provides a professional look to your home gym. Moreover, the waterproof material of the mat absorbs water during your workout session.
The mat can also be washed easily. Hence, it ensures clean and hygienic surroundings.
Ensures the durability of the equipment:
Treadmill mats have versatile use as they can be used with most gym equipment. They offer protection against damage to your high-end treadmills and exercise bikes.
Also, they prevent dust and other particles from entering the motor of your treadmill. This ensures the durability and efficient performance of your equipment.
Buyer’s Guide For Treadmill Mat
The size of the treadmill mat is an important factor that should be considered before purchase. Check the length and width of the mat.
Ensure that the treadmill mat measures long enough to accommodate most heavy-weight gym equipment, including treadmills, exercise bikes, elliptical machines, and other cardio machines.
The dimensions of the mat should match the size and type of equipment.
Thickness and Density
Opt for a high-density mat with ample thickness and cushioning. The minimum thickness of the mat should be 1/4 inches to absorb shocks and vibrations from the equipment.
This will protect the floor from damage and ensure a quiet and safe workout session. Also, the adequate thickness will offer support and stability during your workout.
The mat you decide on buying should be made using high-quality rubber or PVC material. These are the two most popular materials used for the construction of treadmill mats.
They are strong, long-lasting and offer high impact protection. You can also opt for a ‘greener’ treadmill mat that is made from recycled tires.
Ensure that the material of the treadmill mat is waterproof. The waterproof material of the mat will be able to absorb sweat from intense training. Hence, the surrounding area around the treadmill will remain clean, dry, and hygienic.
You can go for a treadmill mat with a regular or foldable design. A foldable mat is always a preferable option because it is convenient to store and saves space.
On the other hand, a regular, heavyweight, and non-movable treadmill mat can be used as your gym flooring.
Opt for a textured design to ensure stability during your workout sessions. Also, the mat should be easy to roll and install on the floor.
Ensure that the mat you buy is made using high quality, impact-resistant, and strong material. The good quality material enhances the life of the treadmill mat.
You obviously wouldn’t want your mat to be chipping off after just a few days of use. Hence, always check the quality and durability of the product before purchase.
Easy to Clean
It is very important to maintain the hygiene and cleanliness of your home gym. Washing and cleaning your treadmill mat should always be your priority.
Opt for a treadmill mat that can be easily wiped using a damp cloth or washed with soap and water. It should require very little maintenance.
5 Best Treadmill Mats
1. AmazonBasics Puzzle Exercise Mat
AmazonBasics puzzle exercise mat features an innovative EVA puzzle design that is crafted for optimizing your workout space. It does not require you to install special flooring. It can be conveniently spread out and makes a cushioned and comfortable layer on the hard-floors.
This exercise mat provides an additional layer of protection to the floors that have carpeting. It can be easily packed and compactly stored when not used. This exercise mat works great for any gym, fitness room, basement, or garage due to its puzzle-style.
You can also install this mat in your kids’ room to ensure their enhanced safety while playing and doing mischievous activities.
- It features a puzzle design with unique interlocking tiles that create cushioned and comfortable flooring
- This exercise mat makes up sturdy non-skid flooring that ensures comfortable workouts
- It allows you to arrange or remove its various pieces conveniently
- It can be easily stored in compact spaces by arranging its various pieces one upon the other
- It is prepared from premium high-density EVA foam that provides long-lasting cushioning
- It is a dense foam exercise mat that offers excellent absorption of shocks and vibrations of treadmill workouts
- It provides ultimate cushioning thickness for drastically reducing the pressure on various body parts including knees, joints, elbows, wrist, and back
- This treadmill mat is ideally suitable for adding an extra layer of protection on your floors with carpeting
- It is a versatile mat that can be installed in various places like a gym, home, garage, basement, fitness room
- It provides quieter and noise-free workouts
- It prevents the flooring from any damage due to the exercise equipment
- You can assemble it easily within no time by arranging its inter-locking puzzle pieces
- It provides enhanced safety due to its non-skid, grippy, and anti-slip surface
- You cannot fit the detachable end pieces on the mat universally from all sides
2. AmazonBasics High-Density Exercise Floor Mat
AmazonBasics exercise equipment and treadmill mat is a high-density mat that provides optimal workout sessions. It is a thick mat that offers excellent padding for use under treadmills or exercise bikes.
It is an excellent mat for serving as a general aerobic mat or for performing step aerobics. It provides enhanced comfort due to its superior cushioning properties.
- It is prepared from high-density and durable PVC
- It measures 102” x 36” x 0.2” (LxWxH) and it weighs 3.1 kg
- It is suitable for covering flooring under exercise bike, treading mill, or home-gym rowing machine
- It assists in protecting floors and carpets against the shocks, vibrations, and impact of heavy equipment
- It features a rectangular-shaped mat that offers rugged strength
- It comes in sleek black colour that easily fits into any workout space
- It provides convenient coordination while working out using other gym equipment
- It comes with a 1-year limited warranty from the date of purchase
- It improves the décor of your gym or exercise room flooring by providing optimal workout space
- It is an excellent cushioning mat for spreading over the floors under heavy fitness equipment
- It provides an excellent workout at home or gym while providing adequate protection for your floors
- Due to its high-density, it creates a protective barrier between carpeted flooring and heavy exercise equipment
- It is an ideal mat for high-intensive workouts from treadmills to hand weights as it can easily take a heavy-beating
- This treadmill mat helps in creating a smooth and clean surface quickly as its dedicated surface prevents harmful dust from entering into mechanical components of exercise equipment
- No negative points were observed so far
3. Prosource Treadmill Mat
The large size of this treadmill mat makes it a versatile option to consider buying. It can be used for protecting carpets and hard floors from damage caused by treadmills, exercise bikes, benches, weights, and other heavy gym equipment.
The mat is made using high impact resistant, durable and strong PVC material. It also comes with a non-slip base that ensures the stability of the equipment during your workout sessions.
- Available in two designs: regular and foldable
- Size (L x W): 7 feet x 3 feet (folding) and 6.5 feet x 3 feet (regular)
- Thickness: 1/4” (folding) and 5/32” (regular)
- Suitable for use with treadmills, elliptical machines, exercise bikes, and other heavy equipment
- Made using high impact-resistant, strong, and long-lasting PVC
- Highly durable
- Easy to clean and requires low maintenance
- The large size of the mat ensures versatile use
- Protects carpets and hard floors from damage
- The thickness and high density of the mat absorb vibrations
- There were issues related to the size of the mat
- Holes were visible on the mat after a few weeks of use
4. Marcy Treadmill Mat
The Marcy treadmill mat is constructed using a high impact poly-foam structure with a thickness of 0.25 inches. This mat’s design enables it to withstand heavyweights of steppers, climbers, treadmills, exercise bikes, and other high-end machines.
It has a high density cushioning that absorbs the shocks and vibrations of your heavy equipment. Hence, it protects expensive carpets and flooring from damage.
- Size: 36 x 78 inches
- Made using high impact poly-foam
- It has a thickness of 0.25 inches
- The mat is cushioned well to absorb shocks and vibrations
- Designed to withstand the weight of high-end exercise machines
- Suitable for fitness rooms and workshops
- It helps in reducing shocks to joints and ligaments
- Acts as a protective barrier between your floor and equipment
- The large size mat is capable of accommodating treadmills, steppers, climbers, and other cardio machines
- Easy to install
- Good quality and durable product
- It has a bad odour
5. Kobo Equipment Mat
The Kobo equipment mat is heavily weighted at 7.5 kg. It is non-movable and can be used as flooring for the gym. The rubber mat is highly durable and comes with a thickness of 3 mm.
Hence, it can absorb shocks and impacts to protect hardwood floors and carpets from damage or scratches.
It is suitable for placement under most gym equipment. Moreover, the non-slip surface ensures stability during your workout session.
- Size: 6.6 feet x 3.4 feet (78 inches x 48 inches)
- It is a heavy-weight, non-movable treadmill mat weighing 7.5 kg
- It comes with a 3 mm thickness
- Suitable for most gym equipment including rowing machines, treadmills, and stationary bikes
- Constructed using heavy-duty SBR and EPDM rubber
- Suitable for hardwood floors, carpets, etc
- Highly durable
- Features an anti-slip surface
- Ensures shock absorption and high impact protection
- Large size mat can be used as flooring for gym
- Easy to roll, store and spread
- Protects flooring from damage and scratches
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need a treadmill mat?
Yes, you will need a treadmill mat if you own a treadmill, elliptical trainer, exercise bike or any other fitness equipment. The thickness and design make it capable of withstanding heavy-weight exercise machines.
Treadmill mats are designed to offer protection to your flooring against damage, dents, and scratches. They feature textured and non-slip surfaces to ensure stability during workout.
The thickness and cushioning of the treadmill mat absorb shock and vibrations. This prevents your equipment from rattling and creating other noises which would cause a disturbance. A treadmill mat also keeps the surroundings clean by absorbing liquid spills.
2. How thick should a treadmill mat be?
The average thickness of a treadmill mat is 1/4 inches. This is suitable for those who walk or occasionally run on a treadmill. Consistent runners should opt for a treadmill mat with a thickness of 3/8 inches.
Ensure that the thickness of the mat is not less than 1/4 inches. This is the minimum thickness required for ensuring stability and support during your workout session.
3. Can you put a treadmill on the carpet?
No. Treadmills may cause dents and damage to your expensive carpet. Moreover, the dust and fibres of the carpet may enter the motor of the treadmill, compromising its performance.
Hence, it is better to place a treadmill mat to act as a barrier between the carpet and treadmill.
The treadmill mat protects your carpet from damage. It also ensures the durability and efficient performance of your treadmill and other gym equipment.
4. How do you clean a treadmill mat?
It is essential to clean your treadmill mat for its overall maintenance. Most mats can be wiped using a damp cloth. You can also wash the mat using water and soap. Ensure that it is dry before placing it back under the treadmill.
The treadmill mat is designed for creating excellent non-skid flooring. It makes up a protective barrier between your treadmill and flooring. On one end, it provides you with safe treadmill workouts, and on the other hand, it protects your flooring from damage.
It provides robust stability even during high intensity running or walking on a treadmill. It has a high thickness and improved cushioning for absorbing the impact of shock and vibrations from the treadmill. It results in peaceful and quieter treadmill sessions.
As treadmill mats come in various colours and designs, it gives a professional look and improves the décor of your gym room. It also improves the durability of your treadmill.