Best Travel Mugs
Travel mugs were first introduced in the‘80s and are different than other mugs in the sense that they adopt thermal insulation technology to help maintain the temperatures of cold or hot liquids when traveling.
It works similarly as vacuum flasks and is very common with daily commuters.
Usually, travel mugs have good insulation and a tight enclosure to prevent spillage of the fluid on a bumpy road. They have a tiny opening for seepage, and their lower bodies are narrower to enable them to fit into the cup holders available in vehicles. Travel mugs with more full bottoms apply to where a cup holder lacks.
Since travel mugs get used mainly outdoors, it is essential that you pick the best style that will complement your outlook in public. People will judge you by your appearance, and that’s a fact.
So as much as you want the temperatures of your liquid maintained within a specific range, you must consider the aesthetics that come with it. Travel mugs can be made of either stainless steel or plastic material. And both offer different advantages and aesthetics.
For instance, stainless steel mugs are more expensive but will maintain your hot beverage for a reasonably long time as compared to plastic mugs.
Generally, as an outgoing person and a big fan of coffee, you will need a travel mug whether made of steel or plastic. For the primary reasons that you can take your coffee while being on the move and in controlled amounts. And if you are a cold coffee type of person, then both will usually work for you. Read on to understand the insights of many travel mugs and determine what works for you. Here you will learn about comprehensive Buyers-guide, FAQ and the top 7 Travel Mugs for 2019.
Top 7 Travel Mugs for 2019
Simplicity With Beauty
Sturdy & Durable
Stylish & Classy
Beauty & Versatility
Sophisticated Opening Mechanism
Apart from the significant disparity in steel and plastic materials that are used in the manufacture of travel mugs, there are so many other dynamics involved in the design of various types. And the beauty in their working depends on personal preferences. For instance, one person might like a mug with a sliding lid while another individual may prefer the lid that flaps. This and other factors are what needs to be considered when buying a travel mug. Let’s dive into more factors in detail:
This by far the most critical factor of a travel mug. The ability of the mug to maintain the temperatures of the liquid it holds should be excellent. That is to say; cold liquids should remain cold and not have its temperatures raised by the external hotness of a place. Similarly, hot liquids should remain hot for a relatively long time.
For instance, when you prepare homemade coffee and pour it in your travel mug, it should taste the same level of hotness as when it was poured right into the cup. Any funny lukewarm taste means the insulation technology for the mug is defective.
The material of the mug determines a lot of things including the level of cleanliness. Germs find a way to hide in between the atomic particles of plastic material but cannot stand a clean steel surface.
To stay healthy, you have to find a travel mug made of steel and wash it regularly. As any other dirty particles can be left on the insides of the mug if put in a dishwasher.
Additionally, plastic material wears off after some time and may start to leak metals on your beverage. This can cause stomach issues or even worse be cancerous.
Another apparent reason as to why you should pick steel over plastic travel mugs is that steel is a robust and durable material. It is never smooth on the road so it is essential to have a mug that will stand the test of time.
There will be random falls and bumps along the way, and almost certainly plastic will break. So plastic may be cheaper at an instant purchase, but steel gives you value for your money in the long run.
Our appetites hit differently. Some like their coffee in small quantities while some others want giant mugs to keep up with their high consumption rates.
I prefer a travel mug with a considerable volume size that will allow me to sip my coffee for a long ride home or to work. The universal law here is that heavy beverage consumers will always go for large mugs and vice versa. So you choose your mug according to your quantity needs.
Travelling entails a lot of instability, and thus we want a mug that can hold and operate with one hand. This is only possible on a lid that slides when you want to take a sip. Rotating to unscrew the lid for access to the sip opening will take an effort that involves both hands. Which is not recommended especially among drivers since that would divert their attention.
When it comes to comparison between a screwed-on lid and one that flaps, the former wins nine out of ten times. Because a tightly held lid will not disconnect from the mug, but the flappy one will pour out your liquid and embarrass you.
Let’s face it, beverages in our mugs are prone to accidents and spills while traveling and even on our desks at work. You have to consider the dimensions of the cup holders in your car before buying a travel mug. Because cup holders vary in size and so do mugs themselves.
Alternatively, you can buy a mug with a huge base to prevent it from toppling over at a slight instability. Also, a base bottom lined with rubber or other grippy material is of huge help as it provides stability to the mug on the table.
Ease of Usage
Life is too demanding, and the ability to multitask is starting to become one of the most sought after skill. You may not have the resources to hire a chauffeur or prefer driving on your own and still like to drink coffee while on the wheels.
It is the sole reason why cars have cup holders in the first place. The mug you are buying should allow you to use it on one hand as the other one handles business on the road. It has to have a solid grip, and the cap must have a small opening that lets you sip your beverage comfortably.
The opening mechanism on the cap should also be designed in an innovative way that allows you to slide it open or closed at any single moment. As opposed to unscrewing the whole lid out for access to the drink because that would require a lot of effort and the drink might easily spill over to you.
Ease of Cleaning
The surface material of the mug determines how easy you will have it when cleaning. Metal mugs are generally easy to clean because it does not absorb stains nor get affected by the heat of the liquid inside.
On the contrary, plastic mugs absorb a lot of dirt and get affected by the leached chemicals due to high temperatures from hot liquids. This makes it hard for you to clean the plastic mugs. And we all know what danger that poses to our health. If you can’t afford a stainless steel mug it would be advisable you find a plastic mug that has a steel lining on the inside.
Those are a few checkpoints that you must consider whenever you want to buy a new travel mug. You may still be unsure, but a few selections on our list that follows will help you decide the right mug for you. The products were carefully chosen and after long hours of research and interviews with the respective manufacturers and thought leaders.
7 Best Travel Mugs
1. InstaCuppa French Press Travel Mug – Our Pick
InstaCuppa French Press is a fashionably designed spill-proof travel mug that works magic for people who love to brew their coffee. From the outlook, it is evident that French Press is a high-end durable product that you can boss around with limitlessly. It has a uniformly round steel body that is narrow at the base and punctuated with textured cup sleeve grip just below the lid area.
The sleeve grip is meant to prevent causing sweats on your hand when you hold it and also act as an anti-slip feature. It is for the quality features at a fair price that we decided to pick InstaCuppa French Press as the top product on our list of travel mugs.
- In line with own brewing coffee, the top of the lid of French Press is equipped with an arm press that is easy to pump. This enables you to make 3 cups of coffee or any other beverage effortlessly.
- Usually, steel or any other metal surface is prone to condensation because of the disparity in the internal and external temperatures. To reduce this cooling effect that imposes sweats on your hands, the InstaCuppa travel mug features a textured cup sleeve grip.
- Maximum heat retention is achieved with the French Press mug because it is designed with double layers of stainless steel to create a vacuum that enhances its insulation.
- On average, a hot drink retains its high temperatures for 6 hours while a cold drink will last for 12 hours on the same temperature range and maintain its freshness.
- The lid is creatively designed to provide an airtight seal that makes it spill proof. And that means the fluid does not leak from the top when traveling.
- It is easy to use and clean
- The design has beautiful aesthetics fit for any social places.
- The durability is great.
- Provides value for money
- It is not leak proof.
- InstaCuppa does not come with an extra lid.
2. Menzy Travel Coffee Mug – Simplicity With Beauty
Menzy coffee mug has a capacity of 100ml less than InstaCuppa but is more versatile in that it can be used in the office, at sports as well as in traveling. It features a beautiful slim shape that measures 7.5cmx7.5cmx15.5cm in dimensions and only weighs about 299g. Such an impressive design with a leak-proof cap to prevent your beverage content from spilling over. Its stability is clear from the uniform height-to-weight ratio and a grippy bottom that resists toppling over.
- Menzy coffee mug features a durable and robust steel metal body that smoothly fits in the palm of your hand. Since stainless steel scores high in ease of cleanliness your health safety is guaranteed if you observe thorough hand-washing, unlike plastics. Your beverage retains its taste and freshness.
- Green tea lovers will like it for the built-in tea infuser or mesh that lets them make their tea whenever by placing their desired tea bag over the mesh to infuse the flavor and aroma.
- The lid is conveniently designed in a way that a simple press lets you access the cup muzzle and take a sip while on the go.
- It has a double-walled stainless steel structure that leaves a vacuum in between for maximum insulation.
- Hot liquids retain their high temperatures for 6 hours while cold liquids go up to 8 hours.
- Highly portable and comfortable.
- It has a wide opening for ease in drinking.
- The cap is spill proof to make it comfortable for you to take a drink.
- Multipurpose use. It is a must for the tea lover on the go
- Its capacity is limited to 300ml.
3. Aacara Rubber Silicone Mug – Collapsible
Aacara Rubber is a trendy food-grade silicone mug that is collapsible and suitable for travel. Silicone is a heat resistant material with good thermal properties that enables it to keep your drink hot for a relatively long time.
Another important aspect of silicone is that it provides improved aesthetics as compared to metals. The collapsible design of the Aacara mug gives it a stylish compact shape that seamlessly fits in a small backpack. It is suitable for camping trips, and I personally like the one with grey color because it is more pronounced and beautiful.
- The Aacara travel mug measures 3.4×1.8 inches when folded and 4.85×3.4 inches when open. You put it in its expanded state whenever you want to use it and then fold it for storage after use. It only weighs about 163 grams.
- The cap seals the whole design to prevent leakages and spilling. It is a good build product that holds your beverage hot for long hours on end.
- The silicone material used is food-grade and passes all the relevant tests for safety. This quality of material can handle huge temperature differences, and that makes it both microwavable and be stored in a fridge without worries.
- The white pp ring on it is responsible for opening and closing of the cup. Before you collapse it to ensure the drinking hole is wide open and then press the top and bottom simultaneously to close it. The mug opens similarly.
- Unlike the double-walled mugs which rely on the principles of a thermos flask to keep your beverage hot, the white PP ring holds hot the liquid in the Aacara travel mug. The PP ring is an insulator that keeps the mug in good shape despite the high temperatures of the content in it.
- It is a reusable cup of coffee.
- The mug has quite a sizeable capacity, about 300ml.
- The design is very practical and compact.
- Less durable compared to metallic mugs.
4. Solimo Vacuum Travel Mug – Sturdy & Durable
Solimo is a richly equipped stainless steel mug that can keep your tea or coffee hot and fresh for hours. The cap is skillfully designed to prevent leakages and allow you to take convenient sips while on the go.
The whole of its body is made up of stainless steel material that is not only strong for durability but also keeps a high level of cleanliness because it can be washed easily. This mug is a truly good build quality that can perfectly act as your companion to hikes and picnics.
- The Solimo vacuum travel mug keeps hot liquids hot and cold liquids cold for 3 hours. The vacuum in between the steel walls provides efficient insulation that keeps beverages within the temperature ranges desired.
- The cap is equipped with a push button that is pressed to open and close. This allows you to take sips while on the move. It is an advanced mechanism that automates the drinking process despite instability on the road.
- The cap is designed in a way that makes it leak-proof. The lid is secure to effectively hold the liquid inside and the fact that it is threaded makes opening it easier.
- The product is BPA free. BPA is a toxic product that causes immunity, neurological and reproductive problems. All plastics leach chemicals when subjected to heat and may sometimes cause cancer in people.
- High-quality travel flask.
- Easy to handle.
- It is a spill proof design.
- Cap’s design makes it hard to clean. This may lead to a lousy stink and also cause stomach complications.
- Has several small design flaws.
5. Fivanaa Camera Lens Coffee Mug – Stylish & Classy
Fivanaa is an innovative travel mug with appealing aesthetics and excellent workability. It takes the form of a DSLR camera; the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens model to be exact.
The outside of the mug is made of ABS plastic material while the inside lining is coated with stainless steel. This makes it easy to clean it, and the beverage in it will not be susceptible to leached chemicals.
On average, the liquid in it stays within the same temperatures for 6 hours. It can serve as a perfect gift to a friend or a loved one who has a career in photography and loves to take coffee.
- The ripped exterior improves the grip to help you comfortably hold it. Another positive thing about a rough exterior of the kind is the sweat-free factor. Some mugs especially those whose exterior is finished with smooth stainless steel may be sweaty thus causing accidental slips and discomfort when holding.
- The creative design of the Fivanaa travel mug makes it suitable for using it on a wide variety of drinks. These include beverages like chocolate, coffee, tea, and cold liquids such as milkshakes, juices, and smoothies. Such a versatile travel mug that you can take it with you anywhere.
- The mug has an auto-seal that keeps the liquid held inside it. You don’t have to worry about spilling over your beverage when you tilt your mug in a rush when carrying other stuff along.
- The cap has a small opening on it that allows you to sip your drink while you are moving conveniently. This is safer as compared to having to take off the entire lid for you to access your drink.
- The ABS plastic material on the outside shields your hand from the hot liquid inside. Usually, with steel, it is hard to contain hot liquids because it is a good conductor of heat and the palm of your hand may be subject to burns.
- The mug is not only suitable for travel but can also serve as a quality kitchen and décor beautifier.
- It has a heavy lid with a slide opening that reacts effortlessly.
- It can be used for multiple purposes.
- It has a large holding capacity
- The paint may quickly get a scratch if you are not careful.
6. MojoLife Travel Mug – Beauty & Versatility
MojoLife is a stylish travel mug that is highly decorative and BPA-free. When we say BPA-free most people feel lost and often overlook this factor. But BPA is a dangerous component in plastic bottles and can imitate the human body’s hormones and corrupts secretion, production, functions or even eliminate the natural hormones. Some sources even say when leached due to scratch or heat it can often result in cancer of the stomach. See those are a lot of damages to your body.
MojoLife travel mug is also easily disposable once its life-cycle is over or can be used for other purposes, unlike most plastics and polythenes that are unfriendly to the environment.
- It has a compact size with a capacity of 350ml. That’s quite the right size for a backpack and doesn’t feel cumbersome to carry around.
- MojoLife is creatively designed with a beautiful silicone lid and a cushioned silicone hand grip on the center body that allows you to hold it comfortably while taking your beverage of choice.
- The wheat fiber material used to make it is non-toxic does not contain BPA and is a disposable afterlife. This makes it safe for your home and decorative due to the range of colors combined and materials.
- The silicone lid fits tightly on the mug to avoid spills, so you don’t have to keep it upright all the time.
- The mug can double as a tumbler. You can pour your whiskey in and have a good day on the weekends or when you take a day off.
- Easy to open and close the lid.
- The compostable materials in its structure makes it microwavable and can be washed in the dishwasher.
- Biodegradable. Makes it very much environment-friendly.
- It has a short lifespan because it is plastic.
7. Orpio Steel Travel Mug – Sophisticated Opening Mechanism
Orpio stainless steel travel mug has a one-touch cover that opens by a simple press of a push button on the side. This is an important factor especially to drivers who want to quench their thirst along the way while behind wheels.
This is a sophisticated travel mug with attractive looks desirable in office, at home, road trips, and while camping with friends. It blends the taste of class and dominance in just about every field and business meetings.
In my view, this is a mug that does not miss a thing unless you are worried about the price, which is fair by the way, and maybe volume size if you like your coffee mugs small.
- Even though Orpio is a single-walled steel mug, it can hold hot liquids hot for 6 to 12 hours and cold drinks fresh in the same time limits. Its insulation is just the right level for you as you always come to the perfect temperatures for your drinks.
- The cup lid is made of a food-grade material that does not impart toxins to you. It is made of a silicone material that tightly fits on the mug opening to make it spill-proof.
- The lid has an opening mechanism that makes it bounce off to let you access your drink for a sip. It is therefore hassle-free to drink from this mug.
- The tight silicone lid is leak proof. Even if you turned your mug upside down your drink won’t pour out from the edges. You can place it on a surface in any lying position. Be it horizontal or twisted.
- The narrow hole opening on the cap is guarded with a stainless steel filter that ensures the liquid poured in is free of particles and other contaminants. This guarantees your safety.
- The quality of paint used on the mug’s body is high-end. It does not fade or wear off with time thus guaranteeing a long life to your product. Besides, high-quality paint presents good looks that will be admired by your peers.
- The bottom of the Orpio travel mug is equipped with a rubber material to act as an anti-slip. Thus, the mug is stable on your table as it resists toppling over on a slight imbalance.
- Acts as a perfect tumbler for outdoor activities.
- Very easy to clean and compact.
- Its bottom is anti-slippery.
- It is a high-quality, durable product.
- Only available in large sizes.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are stainless steel travel mugs safe?
Definitely yes. As mentioned earlier, stainless steel is far much better than ABS plastics. This is because first steel is a sturdy, durable metal that will last for a very long time. So despite a higher initial cost, the investment is worth it in the long run.
Secondly, it is easier to clean a stainless steel surface than that of BPA plastics. And the reason we compare it to plastics is that travel mugs can either be steel or plastics.
Thirdly and more importantly, steel is not subjected to leaching chemicals by high temperatures as opposed to plastics. You don’t get a funny taste on your beverage stored in steel unless your hygiene is wanting.
2. Do ceramic mugs keep coffee hot?
Ceramic material is a better option than plastics. Its neutral state neither absorbs nor impart flavor on your coffee leaving it fresh. As for the hotness, this factor is determined by whether the mug is single-walled or double-walled. And although ceramic material keeps coffee hotter than glass, there isn’t yet a glass travel mug out there currently.
3. What travel size mug should you buy?
Having a more substantial capacity of a travel mug means improved heat insulation as well. And when we travel and carry along with our coffee, we all want it hot by the time we reach our destinations. So, a 20 ounces mug is a relatively large size to keep your coffee hot for a longer time. Small coffee cups lose emit heat to the environment so quickly.
4. How long do travel mugs keep coffee hot?
This depends on the particular brand of the mug. But the standard as at now is about 12 hours long. Anything more than that is a marketing strategy. And for a mug to reach that point it has to be well equipped with a double-wall for vacuum insulation. This kind of structure provides the best thermal properties. Even flasks adopt the same principle in the first place.
It is evident that each travel mug is excellent and advantageous in its unique ways. What works for one mug might not work for another, but it is also true that individual preferences differ.
So before getting your favorite companion for hikes, picnics, work, and the likes make sure you consider what is in it for you. Every budget has something great within its range. You only have to decide, health-wise, that which is your to-go material between stainless steel, BPA material, and ceramics.