Best Travel Blankets
Without a doubt, traveling is one of fun-filled experiences that many crave for most especially when it’s all about leisure. But hang on a minute! Trips whether by bus, train or a flight can get pretty uncomfortable particularly when you have to cover long distances.
Why do we say this? Many a times, it can get very cold. The point is you really do not have any control over the weather or environmental temperatures.
Now, the question is how do you keep yourself comfortable in such situation? Well, apart from putting on an extra layer of clothing any frequent traveller will tell you that having one piece of accessory could make the difference. And what’s that? A reliable travel blanket of course.
Travel blankets to some extent mirror as typical alternatives used at home only that they are customized to suit on the go use. Unlike standard bed blankets, they are comparably lighter and smaller in size. Nonetheless, they do provide requisite cover and warmth to keep users comfortable when traveling.While traditional fabrics are largely used in their manufacture, these days there are far too many designs and styles to choose from. In the market, one can easily get overwhelmed looking at the seemingly unending list of choices.
If you are looking forward to purchasing a suitable product for your globe-trotting needs, you’ll be happy reading this post.
In this article, we’ll take through all you need to know to select the best travel blanket that suits you such as Benefits and buyers guide. We will also include FAQs and list some great products you can take a look at. We have also mentioned our Top 6 Recommended products.
But first, let’s have a look at some reasons why you need a travel blanket for your trips.
Top 6 Best Travel Blankets
Benefits of Travel Blankets
With a good product made of soft and warmth delivering fabric, you will get all the coziness you need wherever you go. Ideally, most manufacturers use blends of materials that not only keep you warm but feel gentle and pleasant on the body. In short, carrying a travel blanket gives you the peace of mind necessary to enjoy your trip in the face of cold weather.
Small travel blankets are designed to make life easy when traveling. Most products are actually lightweight and hassle-free to pack and carry along. As such, having one while on the move means, you can adjust to temperature changes without the slightest hindrance.
Effective and utilitarian
While there are other alternatives to keeping warm like putting on heaving clothing, nothing can deliver better results like a quality travel blanket. As already noted, you have various options to choose from hence you can always get one that suits you.
For instance, you can opt for one that covers the whole body or the upper body alone. Besides traveling, you can always use these types of blankets at home when relaxing in your backyard or when out for park picnics.
If you have traveled widely, you may have noticed or come across blankets issued by airlines. The fact is you can never be sure of their cleanliness. To avoid any horrible experience, you safer carrying your own. Only with your blanket can you be sure of the hygiene and most importantly the right functionality.
Travel Blankets Buying Guide
Thanks to increasing demand in the recent times, more and more varieties of travel blankets continue to grace the market. While this isn’t exactly a bad thing, it does make it a little difficult to know or pick the best product to suit particular needs.
If you are in the market for a good blanket for on the move use, it helps to know what to look out for in terms of features and elements. To help you with the selection, in this section of our guide we have put together some of the key considerations to have in mind before and when shopping;
The nature of the material used in making a travel blanket is one of leading factors that influences performance. Usually, the material directly determines comfort, warmth, feel, breathability, and perhaps overall utility. And since not the same kind of fabric is normally used in the process, it is vital that you should pay attention to the available options.
Particularly, the emphasis should be on what they offer in terms of merits and demerits. In reality, it can be hard to rank the materials so instead you should focus on how best they are suited to your situation. Here are some commonly available options:-
Obtained mainly from sheep, wool-made blankets are ideal if you prefer something that delivers warmth, is and breathable, and can be used across all seasons. Although may not be the softest of all its products can get the job done. Sometimes it can be blended with other kinds of fabric so you need to do your research and ensure the end product can match up to your expectations.
Cotton is known for its soft and generally smooth feel with equally decent breathability. For this reason, travel blankets made from it are equally worth investing on. It may also be used with other types of fabrics to better the functionality so the overall quality of the final result is what you should check on.
The most commonly used material of this nature is polyester. Formulated in different ways, polyester used may vary in terms of texture among other properties. However, most maintain a soft, light, and fluffy feel that ensures comfort.
Overall, the best material should be suited to perform depending on where or how you intend to use it.
The dimensions are also very important for a number of reasons. To begin with, it determines whether a user will have enough cover or not. Moreover, the size when opened dictates the storage space it will take when folded and packed.
So unlike standard blankets which are mainly choose depending on the bed size, it this case you need to look at the bigger picture. At this point it is prudent to consider your height and body size and do the matching. The good thing is there are various sizes available in the market so you can always get the best fit.
You don’t want anything that comes into contact with your body top to subject you to any form of uneasiness. As such, it pays to settle for a travel blanket that not only delivers the desired warmth but is cozy too. Buying a luxury travel blanket might result in paying more than regular but it is worth the investment.
The chief factor that comes in the picture here is the type of fabric used to make the product. Of course, none of the options out there is outrightly itchy and off-putting. But, the materials (whether natural or synthetic) vary in softness and breathability which in effect play a part in providing comfort.
Ease of use
While on the move you don’t want anything that is a pain to use or carry along. Whether it’s all about spreading it out for cover, folding or keeping it away when not in use, a good travel blanket should make your life easy.
Consider how simple it will be to roll, fold, pack, and open it out as and when the need arises. If it comes with a convenient carrying case that suits your travel style the better.
No matter how much you spend, you need to think about how long a product of choice can serve you. Obviously, you do not want to keep buying every time you need to get away. And if you travel often, it’s also not economical to buy a new travel blanket after using the one you have a few times.
Probably as you would expect, the fabric once again counts. Besides that, the quality of the weave also tends to effect on how well it responds to normal-use wear and tear. In a nutshell, good buy should be well manufactured to last longer in the preferred circumstance of use.
Ease of cleaning
Even though a travel blanket is not for everyday use (unless you constantly on the move), you will need to clean it sometimes. And while at it, it shouldn’t be a pain neither should it take too much of your time.
Machine washable products should be preferred thanks to their convenient cleaning option. If it allows more than one washing option say hand and machine or dry cleaning the better for you. Most manufacturers usually specify washing requirements so it shouldn’t be a problem weighing your options.
Another crucial factor you should pay attention to is the weight and how easy it is to carry a long. Whether you will use it for a road trip, camping adventures or air travel you need to have something manageable.
Therefore, look out for something lightweight and compact, easy to pack, and take along with the rest of your essentials. For instance, a good pick should not take the bulk of your packing space.
However, this should not mean sacrificing other elements essential for usability. Striking a balance of will make it possible to have a blanket that delivers results without straining you.
Apart from the above, looking for a little extra in your travel blanket isn’t a bad idea after all. Some of the additional things you should check out includes the weaving pattern. That is how loose or closely knit it is as this influence warmth retention and breathability. If you can find one with an easy folding design perhaps with pouches and fastening straps the better.
And for the style-conscious individuals, minding things such as color, finish patterns, shape, and any other decoration shouldn’t escape your attention. While these aren’t exactly the first thing that should cross your mind, you’ll be happy to have them as add-ons.
It goes without saying that every purchase depends on your budget. Similarly, it is expected that the more you pay, the better the quality you are likely to get. Although better products may cost a little extra, not all cheaper alternatives are mediocre. It follows that you should strive to balance the two aspects-your budget and quality.
In the markets, there is a wide array of options at varying prices so you aren’t any limited in this regard. Otherwise in your search for the best, regardless of your budget and preferences ensure you’ll reap value for every cent paid.
10 Travel Blankets – Top Picks
1. Cloth Fusion Thermal Soft Brush Blanket – Our Pick
If you are looking forward to curling up in a warm and comfortable blanket on your next trip, this is worth considering. The Cloth Fusion thermal blanket makes the cut thanks to its high-quality glacial-polar fleece fabric construct that is soft and offers great thermal insulation.
With it, winter chills or abrupt piercing cold that you may run into while traveling or outdoor will be no match. And given the tight weaving and double stitching on the edges be sure you are guaranteed years of use.
Although it’s slightly heavy as compared to most alternatives on our list, the weight is manageable. Considering its compressible you can fit it in your hand luggage for easier access when the need arises.
- Measures 60 by 90 inches (152 x 228 cm) to provide enough cover with an allowance to spare
- Made of 100 percent polyester, polar fleece material which ensures reliable performance essential to keep the body warm and comfortable
- The fabric features special two-sided brushing making it ultra-soft on both sides consequently providing better and comfy covering experience
- Boasts of a high quality weaving guaranteeing no shrinkage after washing and drying essentially ensuring optimal performance over the years
- Weight about 1.33 kilograms which is modest given its size making it relatively light for easy transportation
- Features double needle stitching on a one-inch hem to ensure the edges remain secured in place to improve the overall longevity
- Easy to clean and maintain
- High-quality construction fabric
- Great weaving for optimal thermal retention
- Soft and comfortable
- Suitable for both travel, indoor, and outdoor use
- Available in different colors
- Functional and durable
- Needs slightly bigger space to carry
2. Quechua Fleece Blanket – Adequate warmth
Well, it shouldn’t be surprising that this travel blanket makes it to the top our short list of great products out there. Why? The reputation of Quechua as brand and their consistency in producing quality outdoor and travel accessories is certainly enough to give it a nod.
The Quechua Fleece blanket could be a fantastic pick if you are looking for something offering great thermal retention. Made of exceptionally soft fleece material, it is tailored to provide adequate warmth while being gentle and cozy on the skin.
And it is manufactured with the need of globe-trotters in mind, it is lightweight and consequently conveniently to tag around while on the move. It is designed to fold nicely into a barrel-like shape and there is an integral strap to hold it tightly.
So regardless of your means of travel it can offer the much-needed comfort for a quick nap or rest whenever the coldness becomes unbearable.
- Made of reliable fleece material which ensures efficient thermal insulation and warmth generation
- Measures 155 by 130 cm to provide adequate cover to enable comfortable sleep while on the move
- Weighs about 300 grams and occupies volume space of about 3.2 litres meaning its light and trouble-free to transport
- Comes with an integral strap to help fasten it into a compact unit when folded essentially making is easy to handle
- Features a space-saving compressible construction to allow fitting into small spaces
- Made of machine washable fabric making it easier to clean and maintain
- Has a soft touch finish to make it friendly and comfortable on the body
- Great thermal insulation
- Easy to wash and maintain
- Easy to fold, store, and transport
- Space-saving compressible design
- Soft and comfy finish
- Great for indoor, outdoor, and travel use
- Does Not cover the whole body including the legs particularly for tall individuals
3. Wandr Lightweight Travel Fleece Blanket – Safe for use
The Wandr Fleece blanket comes second thanks to that wonderful combination light and soft yet cozy build fabric. Made of highly breathable Fleece material, this blanket is bound to deliver inviting warmth and comfort much to the expectation of any frequent traveller.
It is as smooth as it appears and feels gentle enough on the skin to knock out to a deep sleep even as you travel in cold winter weather. It reliably wicks moisture from the outside and traps heat leaving you warm and safe from biting humidity.
A little bit of its suitability for travel magic lies in the light and compact nature. You can roll it out and pack it back in no time into the drawstring pouch and take it with your wherever necessary.
- Made of high-quality Fleece fabric that is breathable, soft, and cozy to deliver and maintain required warmth while on the move
- Has dimensions measuring approximately 56 by 82 inches (140 x 208 cm) and weighs about 499 grams making it lightweight and easy to carry
- Comes with a sleek and compact drawstring pouch of size 15 by 5 inches to provide thoughtless storage and keep it free from dust and moisture when not in use
- Features tight weaving with super soft finish to help in heat retention and make it gentle on the skin
- Can be used at home and outdoors alike
- Great weave with reliable heat retention
- Light and portable makes it ideal for travel and outdoor use
- Conveniently fits in carry luggage
- Easy to fold and carry along
- Soft and cozy fabric
- Machine washable and quick-drying
- May not be effective at extremely low temperatures
4. RAJRANG Vintage Blanket – Most Versatile
The RAJRANG Vintage Blanket looks a bit more of a decorative throw cover but it can’t be any far from being a welcome travel accessory. As trendy as it appears, it is made of 100 percent cotton with a unique textured finish which no doubt appeals for individuals looking for something stylish.
Similarly, it is perfectly weaved to ensure it can provide a blend of warmth and comfort when in use. When it comes to suitability for on-the-go use, you will appreciate how light it is but without compromising the functionality.
You can easily fold and roll it down, pack it in your carry-on luggage and spread it out for use as when the situation dictates. All in all, if you are looking for a travel blanket that is comfortable, versatile, and durable, this could pretty much be it.
- Made 100 percent cotton fabric (primary and upholstery)with unique decorative weaving and textured finish making it look styling while providing efficient thermal regulation
- Has dimensions of about 127 by 152.5 cm (50 x 60 inches) and is rectangular in shape to provide balanced cover breadth in line with the human frame
- Weighs about 748 grams making it light and easy to carry with you
- Features cotton threads looking at the edges to add a touch of style and elegance
- Attractive, stylish, and elegant
- Suitable for multi-purpose use
- Unique design with nice textured finish
- Light hence ideal for on the go use
- Warm and comfortable
- You need to dry-clean the blanket
5. JSB TA009 Travel Blanket – Comfortable Pick
The JSB TA009 travel blanket is another great option made of light yet very soft and comfortable fleece fabric. It has the capability of providing decent cover to keep the cold at bay when on the move whether by air, bus or train.
You could also use it at home when relaxing on the couch over a cup of coffee because it’s that versatile. It is firmly woven hence you won’t be troubled by fibres coming out and sticking on your clothes.
And when it comes to cleaning and maintenance you have nothing to complain about. For one, it takes no complex washing procedures to put it in order after several rounds of use. Similarly, its color doesn’t fade so you get to have the original look even after sustained use.
Perhaps the only downside is the fact that it does not have enough breadth to cover the whole body. But if you are interested in a product that can comfortably wrap the upper section of the body when seated it should suffice.
- Made of quality fleece fabric with soft and comfy feel to provide delightful long lasting covering experience
- Measures 126 by 85 cm providing reasonable latitude for covering the body
- The construction fabric is specially manufactured with a soft feel finish to make it skin friendly thereby preventing irritations
- Boasts of firm but compressible fabric weaving ensuring both optimal thermal retention and flexible storage when not in use
- Soft and comfortable
- Compact and durable
- Easily washable and does not wrinkle
- Great for keeping warm during cold seasons
- Lightweight and portable
- Color does not fade easily
- Does not come with a carrying pouch
6. Pluchi Celestial Dodger Travel Blanket – Soft and Warm
Made of 100 percent cotton, the Pluchi travel naptime blanket is soft, warm and breathable. While it may not be as big, it offers enough breadth for a cozy cuddle.
It is equally small and light to allow you pack it in your hand luggage for quick and pain-free access when the need arises. And it will take less of your packing space considering you can fold it down to a smaller and compact size.
The close knitted construction fabric ensures it can wick away any moisture before it gets on your skin thereby keeping you warm at all times. It is machine wash friendly so you will have no worries cleaning it up after use. Most importantly, the overall build quality is reliable enough to offer great and long lasting performance.
- Made of 100 percent super soft and breathable knitted cotton to provide comfort by maximizing insulation
- Has dimensions measuring 100 by 120 cm to offer cover for the upper section of the body when sitting
- Weighs about 540 grams only making light and easy to pack and carry along wherever you go
- The fabric is Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified making it hypoallergenic and very friendly on the skin
- Folds to a compact size for hassle-free packing and storage or transportation
- Machine washable fabric hence easy to maintain
- Soft, warm, and comfortable
- Well knitted and breathable
- Stylish and good-looking
- Cannot cover the whole body at its size
- Not ideal for freezing temperatures
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the best travel blanket?
Like with any other products in the market, it is always difficult to declare a sure winner. If anything, there are dozens of different travel blankets to choose from and as usual what works for one may not work for another. Again, given that they are made of varying materials or blends of fabrics each will pros and cons.
Furthermore, everyone has their preferences and needs so it is better thinking about what meets your requirements rather than the best product. With so many options, you can’t miss something close to perfect for your situation.
2. What is an ideal travel blanket made of?
The thing is just like standard blankets used at home, best material for travel blankets are made using different fabrics or a combination of more than one type. Considering these materials naturally have different qualities, it needs no mention that the performance will vary on several aspects. Talk about softness, comfort, durability, cleaning and so on.
It means what you consider important will dictate your best blanket manufacturing material. But, as a standard a good fabric should be comfortable on the body and have dependable thermal retention capability.
3. What is the best size for a travel blanket?
When it comes to selecting the most suitable size, you need to think about it in two ways. First, the overall dimensions when the blanket is unfolded for use. And secondly, the pack size when it’s folded for storage or when carrying it with you.
You need to strike the right balance by opting for something wide enough to provide full cover but should be manageable to allow stress-free packing and transportation. At this point, you need to consider your body frame and height to avoid getting the wrong match.
4. Can you use a travel blanket on a plane?
Sure, travel blankets are meant to be used whenever on the move. Thanks to the lightweight and portable nature, whether you are traveling by bus, train or plane it’s acceptable.However, it is worth noting that due to typical restrictions on what can get in with into the cabin you need to ensure it fits in your carry-on luggage.
That way, you can easily access it when the temperatures get cold. The point is if you can carry one along into the plane, there isn’t any other limitation.
5. What is the average weight of a travel blanket?
In reality, travel blankets are designed to be light considering they shouldn’t be taxing to carry on a trip. The weight will however vary depending on the thickness and overall size not forgetting the type of construction fabrics.
Ideally, most products will weigh anything slightly over a half a kilogram to less than two kilograms. That said, it is important not to let your preference for manageable weight compromise other aspects such as comfort and great thermal retention.
6. Can a travel blanket be used at home?
Yes, you can use one at home only that it will not serve you in the same way as standard bed blankets. Why? Most products are designed for use mainly when sitting or in a temporary resting position.
Besides travel blankets are generally light and smaller in size to offer sufficient cover for several hours of deep sleep. But if you want to use them when relaxing on the couch or outside your backyard that’s totally fine.
7. How much should I pay for a travel blanket?
Depending on your budget, you will find products on different ranges from affordable to very expensive options. Usually, the amount you spend will by far determine the quality and value you get. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean paying less directly leaves you with a mediocre product and vice versa.
The best way to go about this is to figure out what features you would want in your pick filter down in line with what you are willing to pay for it. Otherwise, it’s advisable to let the price come second to how well the blanket will satisfy your needs.
When it comes to buying travel blankets, you require keeping all the considerations in mind. Therefore this article with the top 10 best travel blankets will help you in making the right choice. However, our top-rated travel blankets are Cloth Fusion Thermal Blanket and Quechua Fleece Blanket.
Long-distance travel can be quite something and having an ideal blanket can prove vital as far keeping yourself comfortable is concerned. With a great product, you can get on top of things no matter the weather and keep your dream trip whether by air, road or rail closer to reality.
One last thing! In case you are in the market for a new product for your next and future travel, hopefully, this guide provides sufficient insights to help you make better choices. And if you still can figure out where to begin our list of products are just as good so can as well try them out.