Best Toy Guns for Kids
Kids love toy guns. They are attractive to play with as kids like to enact their favorite heroes from movies, TV shows, and video games. Almost every young child has fond memories of playing cops and robbers with his toy gun as a child.
There are so many toy guns in the market today, giving you incredible options to choose from. The fun thing about it is that you can find almost every toy gun that your kid is interested in.
The problem, however, comes in when you have lots of choices or don’t know what you need to look out for.
The best toy gun should be safe for your little one to use, easy to use, and one that conforms to the age of your child. You also don’t want to purchase a toy that your kid can’t hold with ease due to its heavyweight. Always strive to buy one that he will be comfortable to handle.
To help you get the right toy guns for your little one, we’ve researched for you and come up with 9 best toy guns. All you need to do is go through the list and select one that suits your little one.
You will also get to know the different types of toy guns you can find in the market today and also what you need to consider before you purchase a toy gun for your kid. In the end, you will find a few FAQs and safety tips while using a toy gun.
9 Best Toy Guns for Kids
Best lightweight toy gun
Best sniper toy gun
Best accuracy feature
Best affordable toy gun
Best high shooting toy gun
Easy to operate
Best toy machine gun
Best AK 47 toy gun
You need to take the following precautions if you decide to purchase a toy gun for your kid
- Supervise your kids to ensure that they do not hurt each other during pretend gun battles. You also have to take a good look at safety risks inherent to toy machine guns for the sake of your little one. All fake guns aren’t the same, and although some are safe to use, there are others that you can’t just ignore.
- You need to set rules such as not to play pointing and shooting on people or animals’ faces and eyes. Rules are essential as they help to lay down the framework for imaginary safe play.
- Always keep an eye for red flags during gunplay. Hurting people or animals accidentally and lack of empathy or remorse are some of the behaviors you should never entertain.
- You also need to help your kids learn and know the difference between a real and a toy gun to avoid dangerous accidents in the future. For example, you need to point out that toy guns always come in bright colors and are mostly plastic in nature. Remember that you will not always be with your kids. You need to know what could happen if they played with a real gun.
Types of Toy Guns for Kids
Airsoft guns are suitable for older kids as they give them opportunities to play war games with each other outdoors. Most weigh around o.12 to 45 g and always travel at a velocity of 150 up to about 600ft per second and fire low velocity non-lethal plastic pellets.
These toy guns are a little more dangerous, and thus the need to take precautions you should never give them to kids below 15 years.
There are safety concerns to take into account when playing with the guns whereby you need to make sure that your kid is in a long-sleeved shirt, pants, and a pair of gloves. Your kid should also wear safety goggles at all times.
Cap toy guns are known for making loud noises and great for kids that find that intriguing.The look of these guns can be realistic, and this has led to strict laws when it comes to their production. The tip of the toy gun should be in bright colors as a way of differentiating it from a real gun.
There are different types of caps to be used with these toy guns, and most take the form of round plastic discs.
Water toy guns are the best toys for kids to play with during summer. There are different types of water guns, and some even get very far in range, a feature that makes them the best for water battles. Squirting water on people is quite fun, and the game never gets too old. Kids, as well as adults, love it.
Water toy guns will make it easy for you to keep your little ones playing in the garden.
Toy Dart Guns
A lot of different toy guns have darts in them, and some are even capable of firing far in range. Most kids love toy dart guns as the darts add to the excitement when they watch them whizz through the air fast.
These guns follow the air pressure mechanism and happen to be an invention of Edward Lewis, an inventor. The guns can be lethal and thus best for older kids. They are suitable for games like armies and will give your kid the best time ever as they chase and shoot their friends around.
Wooden toy guns have wooden parts and are nowadays popular among kids. These toy guns mimic rifles that soldiers used during world war 2. The guns may have plastic parts painted to look exactly like real wood. With these guns, you can create a warlike adventure with your loved ones.
The shoot out game ‘’cowboys and Indians’’ is a renowned classic kids’ shootout. Usually, the cowboys come with a pistol to fire the Indians while the Indians will have a bow and an arrow to shoot back. These toy guns are fun, but one uses steel and metal to fire while the other uses wood.
Laser Gun Toys
Laser toy guns are quite popular among kids nowadays. The guns require your kid to pair them with exciting additions like bulletproof vests and helmets for fun. You can also add more stuff like sheriff badges and handcuffs to create a new world of play.
Playing with these toy guns becomes more fun when there are many players to play cops and robbers.
Toy Machine Guns
Toy machine guns are best for kids or parents who want their kids to play armies. Most of these guns are big, reliable, and significantly built.
These are toy guns made by Hasbro that fires foam darts. They are manufactured in many forms, such as rifles, pistols, and light machine guns. They feature bright neon colors and soft textures.
Swat toy guns are simply toy guns for kids that like playing cops and robbers.
The following are the things you need to look out for when purchasing a toy gun for your kid.
Age of your kid
The age of your kid matters a lot when it comes to the type of toy gun you want to purchase for them. There are those that younger kids from 3years of age can use and those that only past the age of 12 can use. For instance, Airsoft toy guns are not suitable for younger kids, as they are a little dangerous.
Another reason why you have to consider the age of your kid is some guns are more complicated for younger kids to operate. You, therefore, do not want to waste your hard-earned money on a toy that your little one will not get to use.
When purchasing toys for your kids, you need to ask yourself how safe your little one will be when using it. You do not want to expose your kid to risks during play. Ensure that the bullets for their toy guns are soft to avoid injuries should they shoot their playmates during a game.
Also, when purchasing a toy gun, ensure that it is brightly covered to avoid mistaking it to a real gun.
Always select a toy gun that comes in a comfortable design. The reason for this is that you want your kid to enjoy playing with it. A comfortable toy gun will give your child an easy time and fewer difficulties when playing with their friends.
Of what use is a toy if your kid can’t use it due to its heavyweight? When buying a toy gun for your little one, get one that they can lift and carry along with ease.
Remember that for them to enjoy playing with one, they’ll have to run around chasing robbers or hunting deer. If the toy is massive, running around with it becomes difficult making the game boring.
When you get your kid a toy gun, you also need to get toy gun accessories as well. Although playing with a toy gun is exciting, it becomes much more fun if paired with helmets, bulletproof vests, handcuffs, and even sheriffs’ badges. Get the accessories for your little one and give him a chance to have fantastic fun.
There is not a more boring toy gun game than a gun that never shoots accurately. You aim at a target only for it to fire on other directions. To prevent this from happening, always test for the accuracy of a toy gun before you get it for them.
Always take into account the dart range of a toy gun before purchasing it for your kid. For example, if you live in a small space, you should get a toy with less range. It should only shoot up to 40 ft. or go for one that doesn’t shoot at all.
Small kids will always want to play with their older siblings. You, therefore, need to get a toy gun that they can load with ease. For example, you can get a toy gun that only requires them to place a softball or dart in a hole.
Playing with more guns is much more fun than using a single gun. If possible, get a pack of guns for your kids. Should one break down, they’ll still have more left to play with.
You don’t have to spend a fortune on a toy gun when you can still get a quality one at an affordable price. Always consider your budget before you order for one. Should you find that you have enough money to buy the toys without straining your budget, then go ahead and get it.
What you need to consider irrespective of the price is the quality of the toy. You might even find that you spend a lot on a toy that later breaks with ease while a lower-priced one lasts for a long time.
Top 10 Toy Guns for Kids
1. Nerf N Strike Nano Fire Green – Our pick
Nerf toy guns are famous for their exceptional quality and functionality, and this Nerf Strike Nano Fire Green toy is no exception. It comes in a compact size for stealth and compatibility and will, therefore, suit your kid best. It can fit in pockets and packs as well.
This toy gun is a single shot blaster meaning that one can only fire one dart at a time. It even comes with three elite darts designed for distance. Its compact size makes it possible for kids to carry it almost anywhere, giving them the chance to start blasting at practically any time.
To play with the gun, load a dart into the barrel and ensure that you pull down the priming handle after which you need to pull the trigger and fire. To continue playing, reload the gun and fire again.
The toy comes with storage for two darts on the handle, making it easy for you to reload.Features
- Compact in size and thus easy for kids to carry around
- Comes with three authentic Nerf darts designed for distance
- Fires one dart at a time and therefore the best for single dart blasting
- Comes with storage of two darts on the handle
- It’s available in blue and green and thus great for kids.
- Small but works quite well
- It’s made of high-quality plastic and lasts long as a result
- Has soft foam bullets
- Non-toxic and strong
- Its bullets are too expensive in the market
2. Home Buy Plastic Gun Toys Set – Best lightweight toy gun
Second, on our list is this toy gun from HOME BUY. Should you purchase this PUBG themed toy set for your kid, it will in some way help them improve their creative skills and keep them updated with the latest popular game at the same time.
This toy gun is easy to play with as it only requires you to open the magazine cover and place in the crystal water bullets. After that, install the laser light, pull back, and fire. The good thing about this toy gun is that your kid can play with it both indoors and outdoors.
The package comes with two types of bullets; ready to use softball bullets and 1000+ water ball non-edible water bullets. You, therefore, get the chance to select the one to fire with it any time. It can shoot up to 50ft and with high accuracy to the target.
The toy’s vintage look and laser light make it attractive to look at and thus fun for kids to play with. It will never hurt your child in any way but help them develop their imagination. It is made from tight abs plastic and thus very durable.
- Made from abs plastic and therefore unbreakable and long-lasting
- Comes with ready to use soft bullets and water ball non-edible, on-frozen water bullets
- Shoots up to 50 ft. with high speed and without missing the target
- Comes in a vintage look and laser light that makes it way attractive for kids
- Makes a great gift for kids
- It is worth the money
- It is suitable for both indoor and outdoor battles
- Has very tiny bullets
3. Temson Sniper Gun Toy – Best sniper toy gun
If looking for a sniper toy gun for your kid, this gun from Temson will suit them best. It will make them feel like a real sniper and help them enjoy playing with it.
This high-quality toy gun will take you’re your little one from the real world to an imaginary one and help them develop their imagination.
It comes with soft bullets and crystal bullets, giving your little one a chance to select the bullets they want to use at a particular time.
The package comes with tripods and flashlight, portable infrared laser targeting system, and a play box for safe storage and keeping. Its perfect design makes it the best super shot terminator sniper gun your kid can ever get.
- Made from high-quality ABS plastic and thus durable and powerful
- Comes with soft bullets and crystal bullets
- High grade and has a unique design that makes it the best terminator toy gun for kids.
- The sniper gun is also light in weight, enabling your little one to have an easy time when playing with it.
- Doesn’t break with ease and therefore long-lasting
- Powerful enough to keep your kid engaged for long
- Easy to assemble and use
- Made with high-quality ABS plastic, this toy gun is very durable and will, therefore, provide your kid with long-lasting fun.
- Laser not accurate
- A little pricey
4. Buzz Bee Air Warriors Carnivore Toy Gun – Best accuracy feature
If looking for an easy to load toy gun for your kid, try this Air Warriors Carnivore gun from Buzz Bee. It comes in bright colors, and your kid will fall in love with it. With it, your little one will improve their motor and hand-eye coordination skills as well as their concentration.
This toy gun measures 26 inches long and comes with four long-distance darts and a detachable scope. After loading a chip on the blaster, all you have to do is store two other clips in the shoulder stock for quick reloading.
Kids and adults as well can fire up to 72ft using this long-range blaster that requires no batteries for it to get powered. A bolt-action priming powers it.
The package comes with the blaster, a detachable scope, and for long distances darts that get tested and approved for performance. The darts are constructed of foam with flexible hollow tips and, therefore, very safe to use. The darts are also extremely accurate, a feature that makes them ideal for target shooting.
- Comes with four long-distance darts and a detachable scope
- Powered by a bolt-action priming and requires no batteries to operate
- Comes with four accurate darts that makes it best for target shooting
- Fires darts up to 72ft and thus best for long-range shooting
- Suits kids aged six and above
- Easy to load and use
- Best for long-range blasting
- Easy to open and comes in a recyclable packaging
- Improves creative thinking
- It is hard to pull the trigger
5. Blaster Action Gun – A best affordable toy gun
With this toy gun, your kid can choose to play either indoors or outdoors. The arena can be anywhere since this soft bullet blaster comes with harmless darts. The toy gun is very easy to use, and your little man will have an easy time playing around with his friends.
Although the blaster may appear quite severe, you’ve got no reason to worry since the soft foam bullets can cause no harm. To use the gun, all you have to do is put the soft bullet in the blaster barrel, pull back, and then pull the trigger.
The toy comes with six soft foam bullets giving your little one the chance to have all the fun they’ve been longing for.
- One can use it both indoors and outdoors
- Comes fully assembled and therefore easy to operate
- Made from ABS plastic and thus long-lasting
- Great build quality
- Comes with six soft foam bullets and therefore safe to use
- No need to assemble
- Pretty slow
6. Vivir Blaster Gun Toys – A best high shooting toy gun
This toy gun by Vivir comes in a super cool shape, and it’s also easy to play and operate. It comes with 20 soft foam bullets and holds eight extra bullets for easy and quick access. Its comfortable design enables your kid to play with it with a lot of ease.
The blaster has a high shooting range that allows you to launch darts up to 60 ft. It is easy to load the bullets and fire since all you need to do is put them or the suction darts from the front muzzle, pull the lever, trigger, and then fire.
This toy gun great design and excellent gun power make it quite invincible in battle, and your little one will enjoy great fun when playing with it. It is perfect for war games as well as intergalactic warriors and best when used outdoors.
- Comes with soft foam bullets and also holds eight extra ones for easy access
- Has a high shooting range with the ability to shoot up to 60ft
- Comes in a comfortable design that makes it easy for kids to use it
- Made from high-quality plastic and also comes in attractive colors
- Doesn’t break with ease and thus long-lasting
- It works best for kids aged six and above.
- Easy to operate and play with
- Comes in a stylish design
- Holds eight extra bullets for ease of access
- Highly Priced
7. Shanbuyers Play Gun – Easy to operate
This toy gun from Shanbuyers will give your kid all the fun that most guns on this list can’t provide. It is reasonably priced and comes with handcuffs and a telescope to make the game more exciting. Should you purchase it for your little one, they’ll be delighted.
The gun is easy to operate and only requires you to load the soft bullets, then press the lever down, take aim, and fire. It’s a long-range shooting toy gun and will thus enable your little one to enjoy a great shooting dart game.
It’s made of eco-friendly materials and also very safe for your kid now that it uses soft bullets. The smooth suction darts lessen the panic even when your little one shoots at the wrong position.
The gun comes with six soft foam bullets and has a shooting range of up to 45ft. It is easy to pull and play and requires no batteries to operate.
- Has a solid plastic structure with improved drop-resistance
- Uses soft foam bullets and therefore very safe for kids
- Has a shooting range of up to 45ft.
- Comes with handcuffs and a telescope that makes kids to enjoy the game
- Requires no batteries to operate
- Easy to operate and play with
- Eco-friendly and safe for kids
- Has a solid structure and thus durable
- A little overpriced
- Small in size
8. Indusbay Machine Gun – Best toy machine gun
This toy machine gun is a replica of the Russian Assault Rifle PUBG Gun AK-74, an initial model of AK47 and M4-1 gun. It’s made from durable and robust plastic and thus long-lasting. It is 51cm long, musical and has a vibration bullet movement.
If your kid like army games, get them this army toy gun from Indusbay for them. It’s a lot of fun for boys and comes with flashing lights and sound effects. If you want them to get engaged for long, this gun will perform the magic.
The good thing about this toy gun is that you won’t have to worry about the safety of your kid or his friends since it shoots soft foam bullets.
To operate the gun, you first need to get 3AA batteries since it’s battery operated. The gun is ideal for boys aged three and above.
- Comes with flashing light and sound effects and thus best for younger kids
- Shoots soft foam bullets and therefore very safe for your kid
- Has a vibration bullet movement
- Requires 3AA batteries to operate
- Easy to use and operate
- Safe for kids
- Comes in attractive colors
- Reasonably priced
- Requires batteries to function
9. BabyGo AK 47 Bb Toy Gun – Best AK 47 toy gun
Last on our list is this AK 47 toy gun from BabyGo.It comes in a realistic model with minute details and looks almost like the real thing. It comes with free 150 plus bullets meaning that you won’t have to spend your money purchasing more bullets.
The toy is made from high-quality plastic and will, therefore, last for a very long time. It has a high power shooting range of 60 to 70 meters.
The gun has a front load and sideload mechanism and will entertain your kid for a long time due to its high durability nature. Should you run out of bullets, you can get them in the market with ease, unlike with most toy guns where getting the bullets is quite a difficult task.
- The plastic bullets are safe to use and will never harm your little ones in any way.
- Comes with extra 52 normal bullets
- Has a front and side load mechanism
- Safe to use and operate
- Comes with lots of bullets
- Made from durable plastic and thus long lasting
- Looks almost like the original
- Too strong for younger kids
- Too small
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do toy guns introduce Kids to violence?
Play not only help kids to develop physically, mentally, and emotionally but also offers a safe space for kids to test social norms. It also allows kids to interact with each other. Gunplay is a form of a game and may also serve as a teaching tool. It can help your kid learn how to work out and overcome aggressive impulses.
Gunplay can also give your kids a safe outlet to express their feelings instead of showing them in public. If correctly structured, gunplay can be about the morality of good vs. bad. You, however, need to ensure that your kid gets supervised at all times when using a toy gun.
2. Are there benefits that a kid can acquire from using toy guns?
Some parents dread buying toy guns for their kids, thinking that it has no benefits. What they fail to understand that playing with a toy gun will help your kid keep fit, develop their imagination, improve their concentration, hand and eye coordination, motor skills as well as their creative thinking.
3. Why must toy guns have orange tips?
The reason why most toy guns come with orange tips is to help people distinguish them from real firearms. They are also made from plastic materials and most also come brightly colored.
Our top picks in this review include; Nerf N Strike Nano Fire Green ranked first on the list, Webby 2 in 1 Soldier Gun with Jelly Shots and Foam Bullets ranked 3rd and the Shanbuyers High Speed and Long Range Police Role Play Gun in the 7th position.
Having gone through the list, we hope that you’ve gotten one that you feel will suit your kid best. Get it for them and ensure that you supervise them at all times as they play with it. Don’t shy away from getting a toy gun for your kid, get one for them, and help them have all the fun they’ve always longed for.