Best Steam Irons For Wrinkle Free Attire
Steam irons are used almost in every household to make sure that the clothes one puts on are not crumpled. Crumpled clothes make a person look lazy and unprepared. Thus steam irons are used to straighten your clothes and are also used to make them look crease free.
Since steam irons are such a crucial part of your daily routine, it is necessary that you pick up something that lessens your efforts and makes your clothes perfect. You do not want to be a slave to the iron table, piling all of your strength and efforts into making all the garments look new and tidy. For getting an easy way out of this situation, the best thing to do is get a good, easy to use iron.
All people have different needs and preferences when it comes to picking a best-suited product. But as far as irons are concerned, the main requirement here is to get the one who kills all the wrinkles quickly and in the best manner possible . This article will provide you with all the information you need to make the right choice in selecting a steam iron that will suit all your requirement.
Now purchasing a product without researching or carefully examining its features, pros, and cons, etc. will be one of the biggest blunders to make as a consumer. You must be well aware of exactly what you are buying, all its functions, whether it is worth your price or not. Once you gravely study all of these details will you be able to give yourself the satisfaction or the happiness of buying a good product which promises efficiency, durability, and longevity?
Buyer’s Guide When Choosing a Steam Iron
Suitability on fabric
There are so many fabrics available in the market with some of these fabrics more delicate than others. To meet the needs of various fabrics, steam irons come in different specifications. Some steam irons are designed for use on ‘delicate fabrics’ while others have a more specific fabric on which they can be used on (beads, sequins, etc.). It is important you select a steam iron which is excellent for use on the fabrics you own.
Depending on how you intend to use the iron, the weight of the iron is an important factor. For users who intend to carry the iron along when traveling, a lightweight iron is the best option. You should also consider how much weight you can conveniently work with for an extended period.
Over an extended period of use, there is a noticeable build-up of limescale in an iron. This build-up will interfere with the steam production in the iron. Although a built-in limescale filter is usually available in most irons, it is not available in all. Checking any iron, you intend to buy for this filter can be very helpful.
A lot of steam irons usually have a wattage specification, but most people don’t know the importance of this specification. A high wattage rating on an iron implies that the iron will be able to heat up faster. On a steam iron, this higher wattage provides both a higher and faster steam production.
A steam iron providing over 1800 wattage is often an excellent choice. Such steam irons not only offer a faster heat up time, but they also remove wrinkles on thick fabrics with ease.
Automatic shutoff feature
This is a safety feature which cannot be overlooked when selecting a steam iron. There are situations where it will be necessary to leave the iron to attend to other issues. The main problem here is that it is common to leave while the iron is still ON.
To prevent any accident or damage to your clothes, irons now come with an automatic shutoff feature. This feature is usually triggered when the iron is left in a stationary position for an extended period.
When selecting a steam iron, it is crucial you consider both the length of the cord and the type. The length is an essential factor to consider if you do not want any restriction on the movement of the iron when in use. The type of cord can be a swivel cord, a retractable cord, or a plain cord.
The swivel cord rotates in various directions at the point where it attaches to the iron. This offers excellent maneuverability. A retractable cord extends outward when it is required for use and retracts inward to provide an easy means of storage.
Steam Settings & Temperature Adjustment
- It should have proper steam settings. The garment has to be ironed well with proper steam, only then will one be able to get rid of any unwanted wrinkles or creases.
- The temperature also should be taken into consideration. It must be adjustable. The temperature must be set according to the fabric, to save it from burning due to excessive heat.
- Whichever product you purchase, you must make it a point to check all of its functions and then decide whether or not it serves your purpose well and is it worth the money you are spending. You must test the durability, warranty period, etc. to confirm its longevity.
- It is essential to check the safety measures of the product since it heats up very quickly. Especially if a child is to make use of it, it must be fully safe to operate. All its instructions must be studied well enough. It should not have any electric flaws or defective part. Thus examining helps in the occurrence of any accidents and keeps you well and safe as well.
- This is one of the most important features of iron. If the iron sticks to the fabric while ironing, it will tear the material or end up in burning it perhaps. Thus, it has to be made sure that the soleplate has a non-stick coating to keep the clothes from sticking to the soleplate and make sure that they are efficiently ironed.
1. T-fal FV4017 Ultraglide
This iron is a lot more than its visual appeal. It has a durable non-stick, scratch resistant soleplate which prevents damage to the fabric and minimizes costs of replacement or repairs. It has an easy glide over different fabric types, and the ergonomic design offers excellent ease of use.
- The iron has an ergonomic design with the steam trigger on the underside of the handle for easy access while ironing.
- The power rating of the iron is 1700-watts.
- There is an aluminum layer in the iron which ensures even distribution of heat and steam.
- No spitting or leaks when the iron is on a low-temperature setting with the anti-drip feature.
- The auto-shutoff feature allows users to leave the iron for extended periods without any risk of damage.
- It has blinking lights to indicate when the preset temperature has been achieved.
- The powerful burst of steam from the iron is effective against the most challenging wrinkles.
- The non-stick enameled durilium ceramic soleplate is non-stick and scratch resistant.
- It has a 50% increase in steam production with a fast heat up time.
- An automatic shutoff feature
- A large water tank which is easy to refill
- It is scratch resistant
- The iron releases steam at 80g/min on the burst steam setting
- A steam trigger is available on the iron
- It glides over various types of fabric with ease
- There is a burst steam mode
- There is no sound signal when the required temperature is reached.
- It is necessary to leave room in the water tank while refilling to prevent leakage.
2. CHI Professional Steam Iron
This iron is a product of popular manufacturer, CHI which is more popular for hair tools. It is lightweight, heats up within a short time, and includes a soleplate which is very durable. In terms of price, this iron is quite expensive in comparison to a lot of others available on the market.
- It has a retractable cord to prevent tangling.
- The textured grip on the handle makes it possible to use the iron when your hands are wet without the possibility of sliding out of the hands.
- Auto shutoff with a three-way trigger.
- Textured comfort grip on the handle.
- The auto shutoff function turns off the iron after 30 minutes without use or in 60 seconds while resting on the soleplate or on its sides.
- It uses a titanium infused ceramic soleplate.
- The water tank is easy to access with a swivel lid.
- The temperature control which is based on the fabric eliminates the need for guessing the right temperature.
- More than 300 steam holes available.
- It has a 1700-watt power rating.
- There is an anti-drip system to prevent leakage.
- The textured grip on the handle makes it possible to use the iron when your hands are wet without the possibility of sliding out of the hands
- It has a very fast heat up time due to the high power rating.’
- It is a very lightweight steam iron
- The soleplate is durable and scratch resistant
- Easy to use steam lever
- Dials are easy to reach and conveniently positioned
- The absence of a filler cup makes it difficult to refill the water tank.
- Using the iron on metal items like zippers can damage the ceramic coating on the soleplate.
3. Easehold Soleplate Steam Iron 1150W
Soleplate steam iron from ease-hold is 2 in 1, vertical and horizontal iron, providing you comfort while using it. The user can use it with or without water depending on the type of fabric.
It has more steam holes for faster and easier ironing. It comes in a whole package which includes a silicone pad, brush and a user manual for convenience. It is a perfect home steamer which gets hot quickly and does the job great.
- It Offers comfortable, convenient handle.
- Made out of stainless steel soleplate nozzles that can spray 30-190 high temperature.
- Product weighs 1.24 kilogram.
- Dimensions are 29.2 x 8.3 x 10.3 cm
- It comes with an easy-fill water tank, 130 ml removable tank.
- Anti-drip system prevents water from leaking.
- A game changer as it offers both horizontal and vertical ironing.
- Size is smaller than regular steam irons.
- Does not have temperature control.
4. Morphy Richards Super Glide Steam Iron
The Super Glide lives up to its name with its sleek design and form. It comes in a unique color with a strong set of features. Morphy Richards is one of the most reliable brands in the market, and this product has proved to be substantial competition to all of its other competitors. It is completely worthy of your money.
- The unique feature about the iron is that it comes with an extra large water tank of 350ml.
- It also offers the variable steam control option.
- It has 11gm of continuous steam.
- The brand Morphy Richards has come up with powerful steam shots – 150gm/min.
- It is used basically for vertical ironing.
- It has the feature of self-cleaning with anti-calc function.
- The soleplate is coated with a premium ceramic.
- It also has an extra large soleplate in its class for faster ironing.
- The iron also comes with an extra long 360-degree swivel cord for easy movement.
- The fine water spray helps in removing heavy creases.
- The iron comes with 46 steam holes.
- It comes with a 2000 wattage.
- The operating voltage is 230 volts.
- The extra large water tank helps to refill the tank quickly even when it is on.
- The steam can also be controlled based on the material.
- The 11gm/m continuous steam takes care of the unreasonable ones.
- The clothes are well ironed with the massive 150g turbo shot.
- It comes with the self-cleaning function.
- The ceramic coated soleplate makes sure the iron glides through the fabric and also ensures longevity.
- The extra large soleplate ensures quick ironing.
- The long swivel cord gives the iron easy movement.
- The 46 steam holes help in the steady and uniform release of steam.
- The ISI has approved its safety standards.
- The tank starts leaking if it is not left to heat up first before using it.
- It has to be kept horizontally while not making use of it.
5. Rico SI-03 1350 Watts Steam Iron
The Rico steam iron is a good, sturdy product which is very moderately priced for all of its features. It has a real good wattage and will prove to be a good product once purchased. The brand is not very well-known, but the product serves its purpose well. It comes in a light blue shade.
- This comes with a wattage of 1350 Watts.
- It also has a high steam and burst spray feature.
- The most important of all it has a non-stick coated soleplate.
- It also has temperature control dial.
- The iron also comes with an indicator light.
- The powerful steam makes sure that the clothes will remain crease free.
- The non-stick coat makes sure that the iron works perfectly well without sticking to the fabric.
- The temperature dial helps you adjust the temperature based on your clothing to avoid the fabric from burning.
- The indicator light makes sure that operational safety is maintained.
- It is moderately priced.
- It doesn’t come with any warranty.
- Water can leak if the following precautions are not taken:
- The iron must be kept horizontal when not in use.
- You must wait for the iron to heat up before making use of it.
- The water mustn’t be filled entirely. Some gap must be maintained.
6. Singer Steam Iron
The Signer Steam Iron comes in a different Neon greenish shade and has a quirky look to it. However, it serves its purpose well. To prove and maintain its longevity, it comes with a 1-year warranty against manufacturing defects. This is a good product for a lower price.
- It has a wattage of 1200.
- The temperature can be adjusted based on the fabric.
- The Steam can also be adjusted.
- It has a swivel cord.
- The soleplate also comes with a Non-Stick coating.
- It has a transparent tank with a neon indicator light.
- It is lightweight.
- The fabric will not burn or tear since the temperature can be adjusted.
- It also comes with a 1-year warranty.
- The steam makes sure that your clothes look new and have no creases on them.
- It is moderately priced.
- It comes with a swivel cord which assures a long life and also easy to glide over the textile.
- The non-stick plating makes sure that the cloth does not stick to the iron and also promises safety of the iron.
- The steam does not function well if the iron is not allowed to heat properly.
- If the steam function isn’t used correctly, water leakage takes place.
- The iron must be kept horizontally when it is not being used.
7. Philips GC1010 1200-Watt
This new product by Philips is quite the stunner in the market. It comes with great features and ensures that your clothes are crease free and clean. The reputation brand name Philips is maintained with this product.
- It comes with a finished soleplate.
- The soleplate is also incredibly sleek and offers better heating.
- It provides a continuous steam of 15 gram/min.
- The new Philips iron comes with a vented design to support the uniform flow of steam.
- It offers Calc clean.
- The temperature can be adjusted.
- It has a wattage of 1200 watts.
- The operating voltage of the iron is 220 volts.
- It has a 2-year warranty.
- It thus ensures durability.
- The Calc clean makes sure that there is no scale build up in your iron.
- The temperature of the iron can be adjusted based on the fabric.
- The iron is lightweight.
- The iron has a thin soleplate which can generate more heat and not protect the fabric at the same time.
- The iron has a very safe operating voltage.
- The adjustment knob must always be in the ‘no steam’ position when the iron is not in use. Otherwise, it would take up a lot of power.
- If the second and the third isn’t on while using the iron, leakage can occur.
- It is slightly expensive.
- The iron must be left to heat up before using, or else it will leak.
8. Bajaj Majesty MX 3 1250-Watt Steam Iron
The Bajaj Majesty is the best suited for a moderate budget. This product brings the prestige that comes with the brand name of Bajaj, which is known for its Home appliances and it performs equally well, living up to its name. This one is a must buy.
- It has a thin non-stick coated soleplate.
- The Bajaj iron uses water spray for stubborn wrinkles which do not come out easily.
- It has a steam output of 8.5 grams/minute.
- It comes with a unique variable steam control.
- One of the best features it has is that it is self-clean.
- It has the wattage of 1250 watts.
- It has an operating voltage of 230 volts.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- The thin, non-stick soleplate makes sure that the fabric does not stick to the iron.
- The 8.5 grams/minute output makes sure that the product delivers better.
- The steam control automatically matches the steam needed for the material.
- It has a good, stable wattage.
- It is not very expensive.
- The thermostat must be on the highest and the steam function on zero for the product to function efficiently.
- Some gap must be left while filling water in the iron or else it will leak.
- The iron must be heated up before using it to make it work efficiently.
- The iron must also be placed horizontally when it is not in use.
9. Philips GC1905 1440-Watt Steam Iron
This product is one of the best sellers in the market when it comes to irons. It’s a product made by Philips which is a highly well-known brand, and it is not only not known because of its brand name. It’s known for the kind of performance it delivers as well. It comes in a very different color too.
- The water tank can be emptied quickly.
- It also comes with a fine spray.
- It has a continuous steam output up to 13 g/min.
- It also comes with an aluminum soleplate.
- It comes with a 1440 wattage.
- The product dimensions are 11.5 x 26.1 x 13.6 cm.
- It weighs 1.1kg.
- It has a 1.8m power cord.
- It has a self-clean voltage of 240 V.
- The water tank can be filled easily and quickly.
- The fine spray helps in moistening the fabric in an even manner.
- The aluminum soleplate makes sure that the iron smoothly glides over the fabric and does not cause any harm to it.
- It comes with a two year warranty period.
- It is the heaviest product in the category.
- It is not a cheap product.
- The product has to be kept in horizontal position.
- The Knob must always be in the steam position, while the iron is not in use.
- The second and the third setting must be switched on only when the soleplate is hot, or else leakage will take place.
10. Philips EasySpeed GC1028 2000-Watt Steam Iron
The Philips Watt Steam Iron has a light, pleasant blue color to it and works like a fast machine. It has adamant features that stand out as compared to the other products. Philips has been successful yet again to make a product which does not let down its customers, in fact, it does everything to keep them satisfied.
- It comes with a ceramic coated soleplate.
- It has a drip stop system.
- It gives a steam boost of almost 100 grams.
- The new feature is that it has a triple precision tip also which comes in 3 ways.
- The steam distribution up to 25 g/min of steam is completely even.
- The wattage is 2000 watts.
- The operating voltage comes in at 230 volts.
- The product weighs 930 g.
- The product dimensions are 1.3 x 2.9 x 1.6 cm.
- The ceramic soleplate ensures soft and efficient ironing.
- The drip drop system makes sure that the cloth is evenly ironed.
- The 100 grams steam boost up helps in getting rid of all the stubborn creases.
- The product comes with a 2-year warranty.
- The continuous steam helps in getting rid of all the bad creases.
- The drip drop makes sure that you can iron your fabric delicately and accurately without worrying about any stains from water droplets.
- The 3-way triple precision tip is pointed and sleek at the end which helps you cover the other small areas as well.
- The fine spray moistens the fabric for easy ironing.
- It is a stylish and easy to use the product.
- It comes with a thick handle.
- The scale clean function should be used once a month to make sure the iron is working well.
- It does not have the option of auto switch off.
- It has to be kept horizontally when it is not in use.
- There must be enough gap maintained while filling the water to avoid any form of leakage.
11. Maharaja Whiteline Aquao 1300-Watt Steam iron
The Maharaja Whiteline comes in an aqua, sea blue color. This product is not very well-known for its brand in the market. But it is still a good product and will fit in your budget well enough. It is a recommended product, particularly as it has a very good durability to offer.
- It comes with a non-stick soleplate.
- It also has a continuous steam output throughout.
- It is incredibly easy and fast to fill.
- It has variable steam settings and vertical ironing.
- It comes with a good 40gm steam boost.
- The steam rate is 0-12gm/min.
- The water tank has a 170ml capacity.
- The most necessary feature of the auto switches off is enabled in the iron.
- The wattage is 1300 watts.
- The operating voltage is 240 volts.
- The product dimensions are 29.1 x 15 x 12.1 cm.
- It weighs 658 g.
- Comes with an induction light.
- The non-stick soleplate makes sure that the fabric is pressed correctly without it sticking to the iron.
- It has the safety mark of the ISI.
- It comes with a two year warranty period.
- It can be switched from steam to dry.
- It is not very expensive.
- It is not very heavy.
- The temperature can be adjusted based on the fabric so that maximum wear and tear can be prevented.
- It has a good durability.
- The iron must be kept horizontal while it is not in use.
- One must wait for the iron to heat up before making use of it.
12. Usha Steam Iron (3515) 1500-Watt
USHA is a very popular brand in the market when irons are concerned. This product, in particular, has proven to one of the best ones in the category and offers complete removal of wrinkles with a comfortable grip. It is the easiest and most efficient product that helps the homemaker from slaving it out on the iron board.
- This comes with a powerful steam output of up to 17GM/Min.
- It has a very comfortable grip handle.
- It has a Poly Teflon coated non-stick plate.
- It comes with a setting to shut off the overheat.
- It comes with an extra long 1.9m cord.
- It comes with a self-cleaning function.
- It has a wattage of 1500 watts.
- The iron comes with a measuring cup, an instruction manual and a warranty card, all inclusive.
- It has 19 steam vents and that too with six fabric settings.
- It comes with a 210 ml water tank.
- It also comes with a thermostat dial which has a high accuracy.
- It has a water beaker.
- It has a 360-degree swivel cord.
- The self-cleaning function makes sure that the iron lasts longer.
- It has a two year warranty period.
- It has a Powerful vertical, and horizontal steam burst to get rid of all the wrinkles and creases.
- The overheat setting prevents all kinds of accidents.
- The 210 ml water tank makes sure that you can iron in a constant pace without any interruptions.
- The thermostat helps in setting the temperature based on the material.
- The powerful fine mist spray makes sure that all those tiny wrinkles are also gotten rid of.
- The long cord helps in giving a better reach.
- It heats quickly.
- It has a modern and stylish look to it.
- The iron has to be kept in horizontal position when it is not in use.
- There has to be a gap while filling the water tank to prevent leakage.
13. Havells Sparkle 1250-Watt Steam Iron
Havells is an old brand which has been around for a while now, and they’ve come up with a well-made model. It has an old, vintage design to it but it does its job just as well as a strong, sturdy iron. This one provides perfect steam settings and makes sure that there aren’t creases left to spoil your garment.
- It comes with dry as well as steam ironing.
- It also comes with a vertical burst of steam
- It has a 230ml water tank capacity.
- It has a non-stick coated soleplate.
- The thermostat can be adjusted.
- The overheat safety protection circuit is enabled in the iron.
- It also has a 15g per minute steam.
- It has a 1250 wattage.
- It weighs 1 kg.
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- The dry and steam lead to easy and quick ironing.
- The non-stick soleplate makes sure that the fabric does not stick to the iron.
- All accidents caused due to excessive heating can be avoided due to the overheat protection circuit.
- The temperature can also be adjusted based on the material in use.
- It is heavy as compared to the other irons.
- It has to be kept horizontal while not in use.
- There has to be a gap maintained while filling the iron or else it will lead to leakage.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the proper way to store the steam iron?
The iron should be placed in a vertical position in a safe and dry spot. It is necessary to empty the water tank before storage.
2. Why is it necessary to empty the water tank?
This is to prevent particles and impurities from staying too long. In areas with hard water, the performance of the steam iron can be significantly affected.
3. What is the self-cleaning feature on a steam iron?
This is a process which ensures the optimum performance of the steam iron by cleansing the steam chamber and vents to eliminate minerals which may clog the iron.
Follow the steps below for the self-clean function:
- With the iron unplugged, fill the water tank to the maximum.
- Position the steam control on dry and the thermostat control on maximum.
- Place the iron in a vertical position on its heel rest and allow it to heat up for 5 minutes.
- Now unplug the iron and hold it over a sink.
- With the soleplate facing downwards toward the sink, set the control to self-clean or press and hold the self-clean button depending on the design of the iron.
- The iron begins to eject a mixture of hot steam and impurities through the holes on the soleplate.
- Do this until the water in the tank is empty and let the iron cool down.
- Clean the soleplate to remove any impurities clogging the holes.
For areas with hard water, the self-cleaning should be performed frequently while others can be once in two weeks.
4. What is an anti-scale filter in my iron?
This is another name for a limescale filter. This filter will vary in its effectiveness based on the water hardness of the location where it is in use.
5. What is a vertical steam function?
This is a function which allows the use of the iron in a vertical position. It is an excellent function for treating hanging curtains, hanging clothes, etc.
6. I have been hearing a lot about steam generators, how is it different from a steam iron?
A steam generator is suitable for people who do a lot of ironing. This can be for commercial purposes. A higher steam rate and a larger water tank are features which separate steam generators from steam irons.
7. Is distilled water a good option for my steam iron?
No. Distilled water reduces the performance of the iron and may also cause damages.
8. What type of water should I use?
Just use tap water in refilling the water tank of your steam iron. It is essential you avoid the use of scented, additives, or starch ironing water with your steam iron.
9. How do I clean the soleplate?
Use a damp cloth to wipe the surface of the soleplate. Do not use solvent, chemical cleaners, or abrasives when cleaning.
Steam irons are an important part of the household. They must be picked out carefully, especially if a child or somebody younger has to make use of it. Our guide offers the best of the products one will ever find on the market, produced by some of the best brands. These irons must be still studied carefully as all products have their pros and cons and people have different specifications in what they would like to see in their product.
Some of the most important features like durability, longevity, steam, soleplate, etc. must all be noted. The product must ensure its safety standard and at the same time deliver an efficient performance as well. The product must satisfy you with all the features. Thus we hope that our guide helps you choose correctly and leads you to make a wise and informed decision. Therefore, Morphy Richards Super Glide 2000-Watt Steam Iron or Philips EasySpeed GC1028 2000-Watt Steam Iron can be a good buy.