Best Smart Leak Detector: Detect Gas and Water Leak in Your Location
Smart leak detectors are a product of an advanced technology, and in many years to come, it will still be one of the greatest inventions of man. Their usefulness cannot be overemphasized, especially with the fact that they keep us safe, and help to tell when there is danger. In fact, while there are several brands that have produced excellent leak detectors, there are outstanding ones that have proven their credibility over the years, such as Dove.
To avoid getting a short-time or low-quality smart detectors, we have done this review to find out the working of the leak detectors, types, advantages, what to look while buying a leak detector, how to use a leak detector and a quick look at the best smart leak detectors available on the market. Here, we will look at their features, properties, and pros & cons.
Top 7 Best Smart Leak Detectors
Best Lightweight Tool
Best Power and Application
Best Detector Frequency
How does it work?
Generally, leak detectors are being installed, so they could watch out for water, flood or even gas leak in the home, office or car. Particularly, we are interested in the domestic use of these leak detectors, and how to choose the best ones on the market with respect to the buying guide. In addition, it is important to know that these detectors can be installed at strategic points, and they have a warning alarm or light that comes on when they sense danger.
How to use a leak detector?
Follow the steps below to know how to use and fix a water or gas leak detector in your home;
- Power up: While some leak detectors could make use of rechargeable batteries, some would prefer to use non-rechargeable ones. Ensure you power up before installing your device.
- Read warning signs and instructions: Next, it is important to know how it works, such that, when there is a danger, the kind of alert it gives. Some come with sirens, blaring sounds, while others come with LED lights or messages.
- Install: Leak detectors are small sensors that are highly versatile and useful. They can be installed in any strategic point of the home, especially those susceptible to outbreak or leak such as the kitchen, living room, etc. Since, they come in different forms, read the manual on how to install.
- Start: Once, you have fixed the detector, put it to work and let it do the assignment you have assigned it to do. Be sure that you will get a warning response when there is a problem.
Advantages of using a Leak Detector
As aforementioned, the use of leak detectors cannot be overemphasized because it not only protects properties, but it also saves lives. This may not be the only benefit attached to using the tool but, it is something worthy of commendation. Below are few advantages of using a leak detector at home, in the office, factory, etc.
- Keeps people safe: When there is about to be a disaster, leak detectors forewarn house owners, office workers of the danger ahead to provide quick solutions to the problem. Imagine being able to call the firemen before an outbreak so lives and properties could be preserved with the use of a gas leak detector.
- Quick alerts: While many people may not get alerts before a disaster, smart leak detectors make use of a technology where imminent pro-disaster could be converted to sound waves or light waves as a form of sign.
- Adds variety home: A wonderful feature to keep in the home, especially in the kitchen to beautify and add effects to it. Since the kitchen is where most of the gas leaks occur, it is a valuable device to buy gas leak detector for the kitchen.
Types of Smart Leak Detectors
There are several kinds of smart leak detectors with reference to the brands that produced them. However, you should know that there are three special types that all of them have been classified into. These types include;
Water leak detector
Water leak detector tools are exceptional devices that help to monitor and control the amount of water channeled into the home. It is a monitoring tool that detects the presence of excess water through leaks in tanks, etc. in the home and gives warning signals in form of lights and sounds. Almost, every home has this device because of how useful and important it is; hence, if you are looking for a replacement, you should check below for amazing types available.
Flood leak detector
This is almost similar to a water leak detector tool, i.e. they perform almost the same thing, only that a flood leak detector is used in large case scenarios.
In flood-susceptible areas, this detector will help to protect and save lives at the very highest expense. It could be used anywhere including the home, factory, office, etc., and they also come with alerts such as blaring alarms, lights, message, etc.
Gas leak detector
Another essential monitoring tool that you will find interesting a s gas leak detector which is used in so many places being that it detects gas such as Butane. These gases are known to be highly-flammable and a small leak could result in a serious environmental hazard.
The device was invented to prevent these tragedies and they also come with warning signs when leak is discovered from any source.
In general, all these three types make up the smart leak detector, and while some of them are handy or portable, other types just require permanent installation to a point.
Buying Guide: What you should consider?
In this buying guide section, we will be looking at important things to consider when buying the device. This is here to help you determine the quality of products, allow you to choose a preferred choice out of many, and know the difference between a good detector or sensor and a bad one. Many users have fallen victim of a bad detector, which has caused them nothing more than excess money.
Check the buying considerations below before purchasing any of the best smart leak detectors online.
First, you need to understand the purpose why you are buying a product, and for a device like a leak detector, you need to be very careful. While they look out for issues, you should check the kind of issue they work for; some are for water, while some are for gases.
Once, you understand these two; you can go ahead and pick one that works for you with consideration to additional factors that will be listed in this section.
To enhance portability, the device must be lightweight, i.e. easy to carry and fix. There are several sizes available ranging from medium to light; hence, it is advisable to check what size will be suitable in your home. However, the larger the size, the better the performance.
This isn’t always so common but you can find leak detectors that functions as both water & flood leak detector, as well as a gas detector. They are always very expensive but they come at a good value for money. The versatility of this product is the reason why many users are interested in it.
In addition, you need to consider where you are placing the monitoring tool before you purchase any. For instance, while most people would love to go for the kitchen at home, others prefer the bathroom as well as the living room in some cases. Also, when installing your device, there should be a guide or instruction manual to help with technical know-how – absence of this limits the quality of the product.
The design isn’t always important, but it must be sleek so that you will find it interesting to use. Many of these devices come in a mobile phone design which is handy and useful.
How do you power your leak detector? is also another important thing to consider. If what you need is short term, you could go for leak detectors that make use of replaceable batteries; however, you will also find those with rechargeable batteries which makes them good for long-term. Connect to a power source if you have to and ensure you maintain stable connection when required.
The main purpose of getting a leak detector is to be alerted when there is danger. Look out for the alert signs of a product before you buy it because it goes a long way to saving your life. If you work well with sounds, ensure you get something with loud, good sound.
Also, if you work well with lights, choose a product with good LED light that is visible; sometimes, you get detectors that send messages to your email when connected.
1. Gasco LPG Gas Leakage Detector
The Gasco LPG gas leakage detector has inbuilt intelligence that detects a gas leak and takes action accordingly. This device detects even the lowest level of gas leak due to its high sensitivity sensor at the mounting place. The initiation takes place in less than 90 seconds from the time of installation, after which it can be used 24×7. The discrete red LED along with a 90 dB buzzer, indicates a gas leak which can be customized as per your need. Also, there are other LEDs like the alarm LED, fault LED, wake-up LED, and power-on LED.
The device is beneficial in detecting gas leaks as well as averts the risk of fire and cylinder blast. The device is very easy to install and operate with all mounting accessories provided, including the instruction manual. The device works on 230V, 50 Hz AC power and can be installed above stove burner to detect gas leak due to following reasons
1) Accidentally left on gas burner knobs.
2) Leaky burner assembly.
3) Cracked pipes or improper connections.
4) Leakage of unburnt gas from choked burner assembly.
You can also install the gas leak detector in the gas cylinder storage area/cupboards to detect gas leaks due to faulty cylinders, fault valve assembly, which results in continuous leakage. It can be useful to detect Leakages of Gas Fuel, thus controlling gas and financial loss. The device is suitable for all kitchens, pantries, and small canteens. This elegant looking white color machine has an air circulation facility, metallic plate design, and a removable backplate.
- Industrial grade components
- 70 seconds warm uptime
- Good stability and high accuracy
- -10 to 55 operating temperature
- 7% to 15% LEL measurement range
- 1-year warranty
- Drivable accessories include electromagnetic valve & exhaust.
- 120 cm x 100 cm in size.
- 85dB loud piezoelectric buzzer works immediately during a gas leak.
- Auto electrical connection-cut at the time of the heavy gas leak.
- The sleek design adds beauty to the home.
- Response time is less than 30 seconds.
- Weighs only 250 gm.
- Detects natural gas, combustible gas, and LPG.
- Easy DIY installation.
- The valve connection is weak.
2. Zircon Leak Smart Electronic Water Detector – Our Pick
Zircon Leak Alert Wi-Fi smart water detector is an audio and visual device which alerts the user about leakages and issues in the home. The sound goes off as much as 105 decibels which is quite loud and audible anywhere you are in your home. In fact, with this device, you will be saving your home, properties, and even avoid spending extra money on water damages; this is a device that takes off spending on expensive accessories and being disappointed.
Also, the device comes with a compact Wi-Fi, i.e., over 2 GHz frequency or communication protocol and records temperature simultaneously. With a battery of 3 V Lithium battery, the working time is exceeded beyond imagination, and this makes a reason why people should buy the product (best-selling feature).
It works in such a way that when the sensor comes in contact with water, there is a circuit created which detects when there is water leakage or flood, and sends an alert to the mobile application required.
In addition, the tool comes with a sensor that has 3 gold-plated probes at the base which does the work of detecting. It is a wireless and fully automated device that needs little or non-technical-know-how on how to fix or install. Lastly. you can place the device in several locations at home, including; the sink, dishwasher, washing machine, water heater, basement, etc.
- Three gold plated probes
- Smart sensors
- Waterproof body
- Standard standby range
- 3 V Lithium battery
- 105 db. alarm
- An outstanding standby time which can be used for many years
- Loud alarm which is good
- Fully automatic and powered by a good battery
- Sensor detects leakage and sends response with flashing alerts or emails
- Protect properties and prevents damage
- Work distance is quite impressive
- Price is quite high
- High maintenance is involved
- Does not use an application
3. leakSMART, Wireless, Waterproof and Reusable Temp/Leak Detector – Best Sensor
Another outstanding home and office smart leak detector in this review is leakSMART detector which has been designed to be waterproof and installable anywhere. In its package, it includes one leak sensor which alerts user when there is water leakage, almost resulting to flood. It is a second-generation product that not only prevents water damage, but also to ensure that valuables, properties are kept safe.
On the first contact with water leak, an instant alarm goes off, which means the response rate is fast and immediate. A user can also receive alerts on the phone depending on whatever mode he chose to be notified of the damage. To help you further, leakSMART water leakage detector has an automatic shutoff valve which helps to switch off the main source of water supply into the home – this is an incredible feature most detectors lack.
In addition, the detector is very easy to use because sensors can be placed under or over several appliances, including sinks, drains, etc. Also, there is an additional coverage for the device which means it is well protected from external forces or damage; in short, one leakSMART hub can hold up to 32 sensors at once. Lastly, it works either as a standalone system or can be used along with a visual alarm.
- Strong body
- Additional shutoff valve
- Standalone or audio-visual system
- Instant alarm protocol
- Alarm goes off faster than any type of detector
- One hub can hold up 32 sensors
- Protects valuables and prevents water damage
- Very easy to use
- Always protected
- Very expensive to purchase
- No warranty
- Shut Off valve doesn’t come with the package
4. MESMART Smart Flammable Combustible Gas Leak Detector – Best Choice
If you think we are done with gas leak detectors, well, we should still take a look at MESMART Flammable Combustible Gas Leak sensor which is very different and effective. Unlike, most gas detectors previously reviewed, the size is quite different and it is a good device that can be used in the home. It is generally a home hub product which works with an application to make things better and easier.
When using this product, you should install the sensors at perfect spots such as sinks, dishwashers, basements, etc. After doing this, put into use and wait till device picks up a problem; before you continue, ensure you download the MESMART app from Play Store or Apple Store. If device detects issues, a notification is sent to your mobile device from the application to inform user about a problem.
Most importantly, it watches the concentration of gas leak and sends a user reports from the source. It functions using a 5V Power supply, ZigBee Wireless Standard communication protocol, and maximum gas concentration of 2500ppmA. In general, it keeps a user updated at all times.
- 2500 ppm Gas limit
- 5V/1A Power Supply
- ZigBee Wireless Standard
- MesMart Application
- Supported by all kinds of mobile device
- Versatile and very effective
- Performance is good
- WiFi connection is perfect
- Sleek design and size
- Quite expensive
5. Smart Wi-Fi Sensor Flood and Leak Detector – Best Power and Application
Wasserstein Smart Water Sensor is a top brand that can be relied upon because of its performance and ability to keep the home safe and free from water damage. It sends an alarm to a user and this is aided by its smart communication or Wi-Fi protocol at 2.4 GHz which is by far, one of the best seen on the market. When installed inside the home, they have a good working distance and you can use power for as long as 6 months (standby mode) without having to worry.
This device is liable to have special features to enhance maximum performance and suit a user’s taste, especially in the home as it comes in one piece. On the power, it consumes less energyi.e. uses power to the best minimum, and a warning sound goes off which is quite brilliant. It can function as both a water leakage sensor as well as a flood sensor with a Wi-Fi connection, and a mobile application that is available on Apple and Play Store.
Wasserstein Smart Water Sensor detector doesn’t cost too much, and it is highly durable which saves buyers the stress of purchasing new items every time. Also, it is very easy to use, and an ideal choice for first-timers.
- Six months of standby mode
- 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi
- Three gold-plated probes
- Smart outdoor switch
- Compact size
- Alex Compatible Mini plug
- Plug and Play with Wstein app
- Highly durable and versatile (can work as both water and flood leak detectors)
- Good work size
- Gives warning signs when there is low power
- A good choice for anyone who is new to leak detectors
- Portable and sleek design
- Very easy to use and install
- Standby mode is quite small
- The app does not work properly
6. Z Wave Flood Water Leak Detector – Best Detector Frequency
Although, it is quite synonymous in action with leakSMART, it is offered at a lesser price with regard to some features available on the device. Z Wave leak detector, manufactured by Redeagle, is basically a water and a flood detector that goes a long way in help homes from getting destroyed by the action of unattended water. It has a wireless alarm, good body, sleek design and easy installation which makes it a top choice for the home.
It runs on a brilliant detector frequency of 868.4 MHz as an EU version, which makes it work perfectly for what it has been designed to do. It works on an automation system, and while the properties weren’t discussed in detail, we believe it runs on a long-lasting power source which can take up to 1-2 years. Also, you don’t need to worry about checking if battery is down because there is an alarm system programmed 2 months prior to its exhaustion to alert users.
Looking at this device, it is a good one to make use of, and you wouldn’t even have to worry anymore about getting your house protected from water damage. Lastly, this is a perfect example of a device that you will find useful in adding variety to your home.
- Long-lasting battery between 1 to 2 years
- Sleek design and portable size
- Smart sensor
- Wireless automation system
- Plastic body
- 868.4 MHz frequency
- Battery is quite good for operations
- Slightly portable and durability is perfect
- Adds variety to the home with its beautiful design
- Works at great distances
- Prevents water damage and protects the home at all times
- Works on a standard automation system
- Quite expensive to purchase
- No warranty recorded
- Installation process should be done carefully
- Only suitable for pros
7. Walmeck WiFi Gas Detector Household Combustible Gas Leak Detector – Best Design
Walmeck WiFi gas leak detector is a unique type of device designed with an LCD screen for visibility and readings on gas concentration. It displays and detects natural combustible gases such as methane and petroleum fuel, and also shows the WiFi signal on its screen. With this method, gas explosion is avoided and properties or homes are kept safe from danger.
This detector comes with an 85 decibel alarm sound as well as an app notification for ease and convenience. The alarm makes a sound when gas concentration reaches a point i.e. 8% LEL. In addition, response is very fast and while you can control automatically, you can also control manually with the aid of the remote control.
Lastly, the device is very easy to use, judging that it has a lot of potentials, features and the installation process is less-time taking.
- 85 Decibel alarm
- Remote control
- App supported on iOS and Android
- LCD Screen
- WiFi signal
- Can work on any kind of device
- Visibility is enhanced with its LCD display
- System is controlled automatically and manually
- Design is sleek and quite impressive
- Easy installation and use
- Maintenance is high
Frequently Asked Questions
You can’t use a leak detector without having questions on how the device works or the functions it performs. Through a survey, we have picked out a list of frequently asked questions about the tool with suitable answers. Below are those questions and answers;
1. Where do you put a water leak detector?
The seven places to put water detector are
- 1. Bathrooms
- 2. Basements
- 3. Kitchen Sink
- 4. Water Heaters
- 5. Under the Refrigerator
- 6. HVAC Pan
- 7. Under the Washing Machine
- What are the signs of a gas leak in your home?
The following signs can be detected
- 1. Shrubs and grass turn brown as leaked gas replaces oxygen with carbon monoxide
- 2. A leaked gas will smell like rotten eggs or sulfur.
- 3. If your houseplants turn brown suddenly and start dying, there might be a gas leak.
- 4. If the appliance is emitting orange or yellow flames instead of blue, it might be leaking gas.
- 5. Physical symptoms like dizziness, nausea, headaches, fatigue, and difficulty in breathing might happen due to low oxygen levels.
2. What happens when sensor get wet, do they need replacement?
It is possible for these sensors to get wet, especially those flood leak detectors. However, you must understand that replacement isn’t so necessary because these sensors will dry off and still perform like they used to.
3. Can false alarms go off?
Many times, people have recorded false alarms going off and quizzed why this happened. Well, there could be several reasons why that happened, sometimes it could be as a result of water coming in contact with the sensors. You shouldn’t panic when this happens because your safety is still important.
4. What locations can I place my leak detector?
Leak detectors generally can be placed anywhere. For instance, a water leak detector can be placed anywhere there is water in the homes such as sinks, bathtubs, bathrooms, toilets, kitchen, etc. These areas are known to have a quantity of water in which if there is a leak, it could be detected easily.
5. How long do the batteries last?
These sensors or leak detectors often make use of a battery which can last as long as 3 years on constant use. Those with built-in batteries always come in handy because they save people the stress of having to replace each time. However, an added advantage is that when power is running low, user will be alerted few months prior to its exhaustion time.
Having going through the top 9 best smart leak detectors, it could be said that quality is very important when buying devices. If you have bought a sensor and have not discovered any of the features any of these best devices has, then you should start thinking of a replacement. The best smart leak detectors available on the market are available in different prices and we will be classifying them into three categories below.
High Range leak detectors: leakSMART, Wireless, Waterproof and Reusable Temp/Leak Detector, Z Wave Flood Water Leak Detector, Zircon Leak Alert Smart Electronic Water Detector, MESMART Smart Flammable Combustible Gas Leak Detector, Smart Sensor Handheld Carbon Monoxide Meter Portable CO Gas Leak Detector.
Mid-range leak detectors: Hitsan Smart Water Leak Detector, Smart Wi-Fi Sensor Flood and Leak Detector, SLB Works Natural Gas Methane Propane Leak Detector.
Low Range leak detectors: AST WORKS Smart Mini Water Leak Leakage Alert Detector, iyoukesin Combustible Gas Detector Methane Natural Leak Analyzer, Walmeck WiFi Gas Detector Household Combustible Gas Leak Detector.
From the classification above, it is evident that there are several prices available for buyers to choose from. However, we would like to choose our best pick out of all these products above, so you can understand what we looked at and why we chose it.
For the High Range leak detectors, we picked Zircon Leak Alert Smart Electronic Water Detector and leakSMART Wireless Water Leak Detector because it is expensive but it makes a good value for money with respect to the features present.
For the Mid-range leak detectors, we picked Smart Wi-Fi Sensor Flood and Leak Detector because the price is quite good and it fits into any standard detector you will find around.
For the Low Range leak detectors, we picked Walmeck WiFi Gas Detector Household Combustible Gas Leak Detector because it is offered at a very cheap price, i.e. it is good for people running on a tight budget.
In conclusion, it isn’t always easy to find the best smart leak detectors on the market, therefore, you need help. We have provided all the help you need in choosing the best device from above and there are buying considerations to guide you through the selection process. Ensure what you get at the end of the day fits into your budget perfectly, works well in the location it is placed and has enough power to last you over time.