9 Best Sewing Machine
A sewing machine is a machine built to sew fabric materials mechanically with a thread and a needle. The sewing machine was produced during the first industrial revolution to reduce the amount of manual sewing work done on clothes. The fabric smoothly moves in and out of the sewing machine with an automating process that stitches the fabric and saves time to produce a faster result, which is much better than hand sewing.
Since the inception of the modern sewing machine, these are big, fast, and more miscellaneous in terms of size, cost, task, and appearance. Before the invention of the sewing machine, it took a tailor at least 14 hours to create a shirt for a man, and 10 hours to design clothes for a woman. Sewing machine reduced the time required for making a dress to an hour and 15 minutes, the time to make a woman dress to an hour.
The impact of the sewing machine became noticeable as women are allowed to work on household chores, leisure time, and the ability to seek more employment. Industrial use of sewing machine also brought the large scale production of dresses. It resulted in a decrease in the number of time required to produce a dress, which allowed the prices for clothes to drop drastically.
Sewing machines can make a variety of patterned stitches on dresses you will love to have. Standards recognize over three dozen stitching formations, some of those everyday stitching formations fall into categories such as chain stitch, lockstitch, overlock, and cover stitch. Sewing machines use peculiar needless for sewing a variety of clothing materials.
With all the introduction, by now, you can get an idea on the sewing machine. But yet then, buying a sewing machine is a hard endeavor as it includes knowledge. So to help you in making the right choice today we will discuss invention of sewing machines, types of sewing machines, a smart buying guide, top 10 sewing machines, and the FAQs.
So let’s dig in.
Top 9 Sewing Machines
Our Pick- Affordable Product
Best Sewing Machine For Beginners
Great For Thick Products
Great Stitch Adjustments
Easy Use Product
Easy To Use
Invention of Sewing Machines:
Thomas saint invented the sewing machine but didn’t successfully advertise his invention. His sewing machine used chain stitch methods to sew a dress, and his machine was specially designed to aid the production of various leather goods. Another inventor named William Newton Wilson found saint’s drawings in the London patent office; he quickly made some adjustments to it and produced a working machine.
Several years to come, inventors such as Thomas stone, James Henderson, Josef Madersperger, Barthelemy Thimonnier, and John Greenough have all invented and produced different sewing machines with varying patterns of sewing for use. Sewing machines are now used domestically or industrially. Industrial sewing machines are more extensive, and faster while domestic sewing machines are more portable for use.
Industrial sewing machines are built with two different motors; a servo motor which uses less electricity and becomes inactive when not in use, and the traditional clutch motor which is always spinning even when it isn’t in use. An industrial sewing machine can interchange sewing feet and bobbins between brands while sewing feet and bobbins are brand specific for a domestic machine.
A sewing machine is easy to use. The first thing is to ensure which sewing machine you possess either the manual or the computerized machine. Ensure that all requirements are set using the manual such as power cord, foot pedal, stitch option, stitch length, the tension of the pressure foot, thread, and bobbins. After ensuring all are set, you can start making use of the machine to produce the desired style you want.
Types of Sewing Machine
Electronic Sewing Machine
The electronic sewing machine is the combination of a mechanical sewing machine and computerized sewing machine. Sewing professionals can easily make use of this machine because it is effortless to use. It comes with a variety of features for different sewing style of your choice.
The electronic sewing machine is built with free arm spacing, compact size, and some having LCD screens to select the pattern accordingly. They produce quality sewing with their seven in-built stitch capability. They are a bit more expensive than other models of a sewing machine, which also makes it an excellent choice for professionals.
Mechanical Sewing Machine
Mechanical sewing machines are also known as manual sewing machines were its basic settings are manually done by the user. They are suitable for beginners who want to learn the basics of sewing.
They aren’t as expensive as the electronic sewing machine, and they are built with few features. They can be easily repaired because its parts are less expensive. A mechanical sewing machine has more than one in-built stitch pattern, but they aren’t suitable for thick sewing fabrics like leather and denim.
Computerized or Automated Sewing Machine
Computerized sewing machines are built with high technology; they can be connected to a PC, internet, and more. Computerized sewing machines are more suitable for industrial use because they have more stitching capacity.
The computerized sewing machine is a considerable size machine built with multiple needles, spool spinners for different color thread spools for embroidering, quilting, smocking, and more crafting. They are fast in the sewing large scale fabrics, and they produce a more efficient result. They are also automated to control the speed, thread tension, and stitch strength.
Overlock Sewing Machine
Overlock sewing machine, also known as serger machines, is used to seam or overlock fabric. They are useful for joining or sewing edges of the fabric together. Professionals can make use of overlock sewing machine to give a finishing look to dresses.
Garment industries use the machine for edging materials like edging curtains, edging napkins, pillow covers, elastic hemming, and much more decorative crafting. Overlock machine can make loops of stitches over the edge of the material. Tailors presently make use of two to three thread overlock stitch pattern for edging the inner fabric of blouses, and other decorative craft like lace.
Embroidery Sewing Machine
Embroidery machines are used in designing different embroidery patterns on fabrics. An embroidery presser foot is attached to a sewing machine, and this assists the tailor and the sewing machine in creating patterns to the materials. Some electronic machines are developed with an embroidery feature which can be used to design embroidery patterns to fabric.
Based on the level of skill you possess or skill you want to maintain, it’s essential to buy a sewing machine you can afford. Most sewing machines, for example, a sophisticated computerized sewing machine can be too expensive to provide if your skill isn’t standard for a large scale clothing production.
Also, if the machine is going to be used once in a while, it’s advisable to purchase an affordable machine that can be used for that.
Most sewing machines are heavy and challenging to move around. Buying a lightweight sewing machine will be a good buy, considering the amount of pressure you’ll have to go through when sewing or trying to move it around. In any case, always ensure the machine is convenient for use before you purchase it.
Most sewing machines are built with several stitch capabilities. Some machines may have more stitch capability than others. Therefore, always look at the stitch capability of the machine you are trying to purchase to be sure if that machine is capable of making you use that stitch in sewing.
A buttonholer is a slit to place the button for fastening, so ensure you consider the space needed to adjust the fabric on the sewing machine. You can buy a machine that fits an automatic buttonholer for accurate placement.
It’s vital to purchase a sewing machine that has a stable and decent sized foot pedal. Also, make sure that the foot pedal is delivered with anti-slip base. The anti-slip base makes sure you have a good grip when sewing.
Modern sewing machines are built with an automatic needle threader, which is helpful for everyone. Always look out for the type of needle threader in a sewing machine before purchasing, as this will be of great help to people who have weak eyesight challenges.
An automatic needle threader is essential because the machine automatically puts the thread in the needle without your effort to find the hole to insert the thread.
Loading bobbin into the machine is important when sewing. Some sewing machine will let you open the whole recessed compartment to see if the bobbin is in good shape or running low on the thread while some sewing machine will only allow you to slide open the panel to drop the bobbin in and also provide a transparent cover to see if the level of the thread. Therefore, it’s essential to consider how you want to load the bobbin before buying a sewing machine.
Many sewing machines have various noise level range, and some range may be too noisy for you to cope. A machine that produces more than 70dB is regarded as a loud machine and a machine less than 65dB is considered a less noisy machine.Therefore, it’s important to consider the noise level of the machine before purchasing it.
When considering a sewing machine, it’s essential to know the kind of motor that comes with it. Some motors are costly to replace, while some aren’t costly to purchase. It’s also good to know the durability of the motor before you buy because some non-durable motor can be a waste of money and time.
1. Usha Janome Dream Stitch Automatic Zig-zag Electric Sewing Machine – Our Pick- Affordable Product
Usha Janome is an automated zig zag sewing machine. It comes with seven in-built stitches that include four step buttonholing. It can be used in 14 sewing applications like lace fixing, quilting, zips fixing, smocking, and rolled hemming.
It was designed with an auto tripping bobbin system, a drop feed for embroidery, an automatic needle threading, and a sewing light for excellent visibility in dimly lit spaces. It has a sewing speed of 550 SPM.
- It has one dial for pattern selection.
- Seven inbuilt stitches, including four step buttonholing.
- An auto tripping bobbin system, and a drop feed for embroidery.
- An automatic needle threading, and sewing indicator.
- Stitch length control and triple strength stitch.
- Two-year warranty included.
- Its light weighted.
- Auto tripping bobbin system ensures hassle-free filling of bobbin
- Push button available for backward stitching
- High pressured foot lift for the heavy fabrics
- It’s effortless to use.
- the product quality is appreciated by the buyers
- It is affordable.
- Takes some time to get used to the machine if you’re a beginner.
2. Singer Start 1306 Sewing Machine – Best Sewing Machine For Beginners
Singer Start 1306 Sewing Machine is designed with six in-built stitches such as one basic, one decorative, and four step buttonhole. It comes with an easy threading buttonhole that saves time and produces an elegant result.
In one easy step sewing, the machine creates a design with skip-free change stitches. It can be used easily to produce pleasant results in clothes. It comes with a heavy duty metal frame, pressure feet, and a new high-pressure foot lifter.
- Automatic four-step buttonhole.
- Six built-in stitches.
- Dual spool pins for twin needle sewing.
- High pressured foot lifter
- Heavy duty metal frame.
- Three pressure feet included.
- LED sewing workspace light.
- Automatic Bobbin winding system.
- It comes with a two-year warranty.
- It has excellent build quality.
- It is easy to handle.
- Quick threading
- It’s the right choice for beginners.
- Useful for any type of household stitching
- The LED light can be used in low lighting conditions.
- Bobbin issues may occur.
3. Mescada Multi Electric Mini Sewing Machine For Home – High-performance Product
Mescada multi electric household sewing machine is delivered with four metal bobbins, one-foot pedal, and one needle threader. It comes with a double thread design and two-speed controls.
It can easily sew the sleeves of a dress quickly and conveniently, but it cannot be used on fabrics like denim, velvet, and other thick materials. It’s imperative to read the product’s manual before use, and it’s necessary not to use the machine without a cloth because it can cause severe issues in the bobbin.
- Four metal bobbins.
- One foot pedal, one needle, and one threader.
- Two-speed controls
- It doesn’t require a lot of space to keep.
- Its light weighted.
- All the accessories are provided
- It has a strong outer body
- High- performance product.
- Bobbin can sometimes get stuck during use.
4. Usha Janome Automatic Stitch Magic Sewing Machine – Great For Thick Products
It comes with two dials for patterns and stitches length selection. It was built with thirteen stitches, including a buttonhole. Usha Janome Automatic Stitch Magic Sewing Machine has a triple strength stitching for stitching thick fabrics like jeans and more.
It is lightweight and easy to move around. It comes with a free arm for circular stitching. It can be applied in nine different areas like button fixing, satin hemming, zip fixing, stretch stitching, and smocking. You can contact their customer care for support. It is one of the best sewing machines for beginners.
- It has a strong, Aluminum body.
- Pressure foot adjusting dial.
- Thirteen in-built stitches.
- Triple strength for stitching thick fabrics.
- One-step button hole.
- Automatic needle threading.
- Free arm for circular stitching
- It comes with a two-year warranty.
- Affordable price.
- Ideal for beginners
- Proper packaging of the product.
- It’s easy to move around and use.
- There are not enough details on the manual on how to use the product, but the brand sends a person for a demo.
5. Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Electric Sewing Machine – Heavy-duty Product
Singer 4423 is a heavy duty electric sewing machine that has 23 built-in stitches. It was developed with an automatic threader feature, and it makes 1,100 stitches per minute. It was designed with a metal frame for heavy duty with a stitch width of up to 6mm. It also comes with an adjustable stitch length feature.
- Metal interior frame with stainless steel bedplate.
- Fast sewing speed.
- Powerful motor.
- Automatic needle threader.
- Automatic one-step buttonhole.
- Top Drop-in Bobbin.
- It has an incredibly sturdy body.
- Stitches clothes easily and it can sew any type of cloth.
- Users have appreciated their speed.
- Built quality has been appreciated by several users.
- No extra add-ons like a bobbin, needles set, oil service is given.
6. Naveen Sewing Machine Domestic Square Model With Coverset – Great Stitch Adjustments
The Naveen Sewing Machine is a complete handheld device with an attractive base and cover. It can adjust the length of stitch on a cloth with is east liver type, stitch regulator.
It comes with a non-breakable plastics cover set and a bobbin winder to wind up the bobbins with thread. It also comes with an instruction manual for the appropriate use of the product.
- Three pieces of bobbins
- Two screwdrivers, one measuring tape, and one needle come in the package.
- Plastic base and cover.
- One needle threader and oil can.
- Stitch regulator for stitch adjustments
- It’s sturdy and works very well.
- It is a handy product
- Makes very low sound
- Threader issues.
- Bobbin stops working at times
7. Brother Ja 1400 Electric Sewing Machine – Easy Use Product
Brother JA 1400 Electric Sewing Machine was built with 14 stitches, four-step buttonhole, and a length and width auto set. It comes with a LED light to illuminate workspace environment and a top load bobbin for easy use. It’s easy to maintain, and it includes an instructional manual for appropriate use.
- Four-step buttonhole.
- 14 built-in stitches.
- Length and width auto set.
- LED lighting for easy sewing in the dark.
- One threader.
- The paddle has been included.
- Reasonable price for a sewing machine.
- It’s easy to use.
- Its light weighted.
- There are no negative features observed by us.
8. Luhi Mini Multifunction Household Sewing Machine – Portable Product
Luhi Mini Multifunction Household Sewing Machine comes with a mini size that is portable to store. It’s straightforward to use, and you also can design the pattern you like on any fabric of your choice. It’s also good for beginners because it’s less stressful to use.
It comes with double thread and speed feature, and it was designed with twelve inbuilt stitch patterns. It has features like the automatic thread rewind that helps you meet the requirement of DIY sewing. It has a stable operation, produces less noise, and a zigzag width that allows you to customize stitches.
It comes with forward and reverse sewing to create embroidery patterns. It’s compulsory to read the manual of the product for better understanding of the product.
- Mini size machine with built-in carry handle.
- Double thread and speed adjustment.
- Twelve in-built stitch patterns.
- Automatic thread rewind.
- Power adapter.
- Adjustable stitch length with zigzag width for customization.
- Forward and reverse sewing.
- 4 step buttonhole
- High and low speed
- Light bulb for sewing at night.
- It’s portable and easy to use.
- Allows you to design the pattern you want.
- Forward and reverse sewing to create embroidery patterns.
- It doesn’t occupy too much space.
- Low noise.
- Light bulb to illuminate the workspace.
- Reasonable price.
- A few users have doubted its durability
- Loose bobbin cover
9. Singer Simple 3223 85-watt Automatic Sewing Machine – Easy To Use
Singer Simple 3223 automatic sewing machine was designed with 23 built-in stitches to choose from, and you can select a variety of stitches ranging from decorative sewing, basic sewing, and more.
It comes with a four-step bobbin hole and a front loading bobbin which is easy to wind and insert to maintain a smooth needle plate surface. Singer Simple 3223 automatic sewing machine can be used for free-motion sewing like monograms, and stipple quilting. It comes with other features such as a reverse lever, free arm stitching, foot paddle, and more.
- Adjustable stitch length and reverse lever.
- Free arm stitching.
- Metal frame body.
- Pressure feet and a high-pressure foot lifter
- Foot paddle and Darning plate.
- Front loading bobbin
- Removable storage compartment.
- Front load bobbin.
- 23 built-in stitches with four-step buttonhole.
- User manual with Two-year warranty.
- The machine works without any disturbances
- Every pattern works seamlessly
- Easy to use.
- Ideal for beginners.
- Heavy metal body.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I get a replacement for the electric adapter?
Yes, you can get the electric adapter in any electronic shop.
2. Can all sewing machine stitch denim?
Yes, most sewing machines can sew thick fabric like denim. But some sewing machine cannot sew denim, so ensure you read the product description to be sure if the machine can sew thick fabric.
3. Why are all sewing machines noisy?
Well, not all sewing machines produce loud noise; some machines don’t produce loud noise during sewing. The noise is caused by some mechanical principles used to build the machine.
4. How do I reduce the noise coming from my machine?
You can reduce the noise by controlling the speed of sewing or by regular maintenance.
5. My sewing machine produces big stitches; do all sewing machines produce big stitches?
No, not all sewing machines produce big stitches. Many sewing machines can produce stitches that are smooth with small size.
6. Does all the sewing machine use electricity?
No, not all sewing machine use electricity, some are manually operated.
So, now you are well informed about the best sewing machine available. With this information choosing the best sewing machine will be the first guess for you. In order to help you make the right sewing machines amazon, we have accumulated the top 10 sewing machines. From these, top rated sewing machines are Usha Janome Dream Stitch Automatic Zig-Zag Electric Sewing Machine, Singer Start 1306 Sewing Machine and MESCADA Multi Electric Mini 4 in 1 Desktop Functional Household Sewing Machine for Home.
Therefore, choose the best to have the best.