Best Semi Automatic Washing Machines
We all are used to washing machines. We all know different types of washing machines such as fully automatic, front-loading, top-loading washing machines. But, one that is most common is a semi-automatic washing machine, and in this article, we have provided all the information needed for you to make the right choice.
Semi-automatic washing machines are one of the most common types of the washing machine in India, as it is also the cheapest type. As the name suggests, it is partially automatic, so it does require some manual effort from your side. Before you wash the clothes, you have to add water to the tub, and then you have to drain that water after the clothes are washed.
The semi-automatic washing machine offers users a partial entry to a washing machine. This is a middle point between handwashing and fully automated washing. It requires partially automatic and some manual effort on the other side. The semi-automated washing machine is less expensive when compared to the fully automated washing machine.
The one advantage of using a semi-automatic washing machine is that it helps in saving water as it does not require continuous water supply for the clothes to be washed. You will be able to operate the washing cycle closely to make sure that it does not make use of more power than needed.
Semi-automatic washing machines are always top-loading. It makes use of two separate tubs, where one is for washing, and the other is for drying.
This article will guide you through the working of the semi-automatic washing machine, types available in the market along with a comprehensive buying guide and FAQ. Here are our top 9 best washing machine semi automatic that will surely help in your purchase decision.
Top 9 Semi-automatic Washing Machines in India
How Does Semi-Automatic Washing Machine Work?
A semi-automatic washing machine requires human effort and has to keep track of progress as one has to transfer the clothes from one tub to another. The basic principle is the same that the tub keeps moving, after putting the water, detergent and the clothes until the cycle is over and the clothes are clean. After which they are transferred to the drier.
Most of the semi-automatic washing machines are top-loading. The top-loading machine uses an agitator which is at the center of the washbasin and is designed for wriggling the clothes.
Some semi-automatic washing machines have a double unit-layer washtub, outer tub to hold water and inner tub with holes for draining. Other semi-automatic washing machines have two tubs, one for washing and a perforated basket for spin-drying.
The first step is to add the detergent, then the clothes and then enough water at the required temperature and then work through the instructions. After the washing cycle is over, you have to shift the clothes to the drier and add clean water for rinsing and restart the washer. It spins the clothes and drains the water until it is completely dry and clean. The drier uses a centrifugal force that creates pressure to squeeze the clothes to drain the extra water from it.
Types of Washing Machines
Let us look at the different types of washing machines available –
Based on Automation
A fully automatic washing machine works and does all the work by just the touch of the button. This type of washing machine just has a single tub which acts as the washer, dryer, and also rinses the clothes after the wash.
The fully automatic washing machines come in two types – one is the front load and the second top-load machines.
The working and the efficiency both vary in these two types of fully automatic washing machines, which depends on the brand as well.
Semi-automatic Washing Machine
This type of washing machine is only partially automatic which means it requires manual effort from your side like filling the tub with water before you wash your clothes and if you have a twin-tub semi-automatic washing machine, then you just have to move the washed clothes to the drying tub. These are always top-loading machines.
There are two kinds of semi-automatic washing machines – the single tub and the twin tub.
The Single Tub – It is designed in a way so that it can do everything from washing the clothes to spin-drying all in just one tub. The tub has an outer and an inner layer which has holes in them so that it can allow the water to drain. These are one of the simplest mechanisms as it takes less space and requires less work.
The Twin Tub – It is a common type of semi-automatic washing machine where it includes two tubs for washing and drying the clothes respectively. It just requires to move the clothes from the washing tub to the drying tub during the process.
Based on Loading
A front-load washing machine is a fully automatic washing machine which takes the load from the front side. These front-loading machines usually consume less water, energy and of course provides better results than the top loading machines.
Fully automatic washing machines and manual washing machines are top loads. Top load washing machines are advised for people who do not like bending down or have a problem in doing so to load the clothes into the machine. These take up less space at home, which is best for people looking for a perfect fit in the small space.
Buying Guild of Semi-Automatic Washing Machine
It is always a daunting task when it comes to choosing from several models, but it can be managed if you look at some specific requirements. The following points can help you figure it all out better before you go to buy a washing machine.
The capacity will be depending on some factors. First, you have to see is how many members are there in your family that will be using it. The capacity will differ based on how many will use the washing machine. The second depends on how many times a day, you need to wash your clothes. Few people do it every day, few skip days and wash clothes. Nowadays washing machines come with quick wash mode which lets you use them daily without any difficulty.
3D Scrub Technology
It is an important feature to be considered, especially if your clothes often become dirty. 3D scrub technology ensures that the toughest stains and dirt is removed from your clothes, making your clothes dirt-free. They use 3D scrub pads in the drum that helps in removing the dirt while the drum is rotating.
Hard Water Processing
It is an important feature for those who are leaving in India. Many people face with hard water problem as the detergent doesn’t dissolve completely and the fine layer will be left on the drum or in a pipe. To eliminate this problem many manufacturers come with unique and innovative methods by treating the heard water. The hard water treatment technology allows smooth washing.
This feature really helps when you are looking forward to washing the clothes with hot water. Few washing machines have in-built heaters that sense the load and heats the water by killing germs and bacteria.
3D Lint Filter
Triple layer filtration technology that allows perfect and effective lint collection by ensuring your clothes to be fresh and dirt-free.
A digital display helps you to check the leftover cycle time, washing modes and also it has a help button.
Many washing machines have different wash settings for clothes like a gentle wash for delicate clothes and different water level options. It is customizable according to specific clothes requirements. The controls can be set specifically for every type, and this helps in washing clothes in a better way.
The Material of the Tub
It also is important to know what material is the tub made of, is it made of plastic, porcelain-enamel or steel. The first two types that are mentioned are cost-effective. Enamel tubs are not as durable as the plastic ones. The stainless steel tubs are the best ones as they can handle high-spin speeds and are the most durable of all.
Many washing machines have a built-in feature which helps in adjusting the temperature of the water. This can be very useful while washing clothes as clothes get cleaned in hot water more properly, the steam setting allows getting rid of dirt and dust better.
Top Loading or Front Loading
There are advantages to both the types of loading machines. It depends on what you choose and which is best suited for you.
Top-loading machines are generally easy to use as you don’t have to bend down to put in the clothes and there is no possible issue of the lid coming in contact with the water. Also, it allows you to put in any cloth if you by any chance forgot to add.
Front-loading machines are very much new in India right now, which is why it cost a bit high. Both types of loading are very much similar apart from the above advantages of top-loading machines.
Automatic or Semi-Automatic
Automatic washing machines just require you to connect the machine to a constant water source, to add the detergent and then put the clothes in and push the button for the machine to start. It automatically takes water as required and washes the clothes as per requirements.
But in case of semi-automatic washing machines, you have to add the water separately, and then manually remove the clothes to put it in the dryer.
The main difference between the two types is the requirement of water supply. If you have a shortage of water supply, then you should go for semi-automatic as a fully automatic washing machine would require a constant water supply.
One of the most important consideration is the cost of purchasing one. How much will you be willing to dole out for a semi-automatic washing machine? Your financial capability can influence your purchase
Wheels or castors
For a big home that requires the machine to be moved around, a wheel, handle, or castors is necessary to enable one to move the machine around. It is also required for those using the machine at gyms, spas, hotels, and outdoor events. So if you intend using it for this purposes, then a wheel or castor is essential for the machine.
The semi-automatic washing machine saves water usage for washing. It does not require refilling while the laundry is ongoing.
Most modern semi-automatic washing machines come with a new feature known as child-lock. This feature protects your children from getting stuck in the machine when a grown-up is not around.
One other factor to look out for when purchasing a semi-autonomous washing machine is its durability. Of the different types of materials, the stainless steel tubs are more durable and can handle high-spin speeds. The porcelain-enamel are less durable of the three tub materials.
Pre-soak and Time delay
This feature allows one to load the machine with a preset time. It also allows one to soak the clothes for a specific period, after which the washing machine starts on its own.
The Spin Cycle
This is another option to look out for when purchasing a semi-automatic wash machine. The spin cycle is used to measure the revolutions per minute (rpm) of drying. The spin cycle determines how fast the cloth will get dry.
This additional feature chooses the best washing conditions automatically for each fabric, based on the material. It automatically determines the water quantity, time, and detergent needed to clean the clothes.
9 Best Semi-Automatic Washing Machine
1. Whirlpool 9 Kg Semi-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine – 3D scrub technology
Whirlpool Corporation is an American multinational company. To give better results to customers Whirlpool comes with advanced and intuitive technology. Their categorized products are refrigeration, laundry, kitchen, air conditioners, purification.
The product comes with a 2-year warranty and a 5-year motor warranty. Also, it has hard water wash function that allows for removing stains and dirt even when hard water is used. It has four different knobs fabric type, dirt selector, drain selector and turbo dry and each for different usage. Now, you can set the wash type based on the fabric type. Additional features like soak, buzzer, auto restart, hard water wash are available in this machine.
- The machine has 9 wash capacity
- It comes with 5 wash programs
- The machine is capable of removing 10 types of stains
- Its key features are 3D scrub technology, 3D lint filters, 3D turbo impeller
- 3D scrub technology ensures toughest stain or dirt is removed from the cloth and even when the machine is heavily loaded
- 3D lint filters have triple layers of filters that ensure lint collection is effective and the clothes are fresh, dirt free
- 3D turbo impeller along with 3D scrub pads allows removing the dirt perfectly while the drum is rotating
- The maximum rotational speed is 1400 RPM that ensures your clothes are maximum dry
- Moreover, the control panel provided is wash proof and shockproof for safety.
- It looks sturdy, beautiful and classy will fit right in due to compact sizing.
- Can load a good amount of clothes in one-go making it the best choice for a small sized family.
- Supports huge capacity
- Can remove all types of stains.
- A user has stated that the wheels might move a little while dry spinning so have to be carefull.
2. Hilton Single-Tub Washing Machine
The Hilton 3 Kg Single-Tub Washing Machine with Spin Dryer is a portable semi-automatic washing machine. This product does not require installation as it comes ready to use. It has a carrying capacity of 3 Kg of clothes and comes in different colors (White, pink and blue).
The machine has a motor capacity of 1 Kg of wash and spins power, 100% copper coated motor type. Five minutes wash cycle, and 15 minutes spin time. It is suitable for small family or bachelors since it can only contain five to six clothes at a time. It can also be used in the gym, salons, hospitals, hotels, spa, studio apartments, and resorts. Saving water, time, and electricity is ideal.
- It comes with a portable light-weighted design
- The Hilton 3 kg Single-Tub Washing Machine with Spin Dryer comes in a tough plastic body that makes it very durable
- Unique washing mode functionality that works both clockwise / anticlockwise
- The semi-automatic machine comes with one year’s warranty
- The product dimension is 40x40x55 cm
- It consists of 2 knobs which act as a wash and spin selector and wash and spin timer
- The wash timer lasts for 15 minutes while the spin timer is for 5 minutes
- It can operate on an inverter
- Water can be poured through an inlet pipe
- It is less expensive in comparison to other semi-automated washing machines
- It has less technical issues
- It can run on less amount of water
- It can be used on low energy voltage
- It washes well and fast
- Unable to wash a large number of clothes at the same time
- It comes with a small spinner
3. Onida 6.5 kg Washer Only
The Onida washer Lilliput semi-automatic washing machine is a top-loading washing machine(6.5 kg) Lava Red. This powerful semi-automatic washing machine is fully loaded with useful features that can help one to save time and effort.
The Onida washer Lilliput is made from a reliable and durable fiber – this prevents rusting and prevent the body from corrosion. Its sleek and compact shape makes it fit comfortably in any part of the home without taking up much space.
With its 6.5 kg capacity, the washing machine is useful in dealing with your daily laundry needs with ease.
- Powerful hydraulic pulsator features that allow detergent to penetrate deep into the fabric
- An effective motor enhancer that helps to boosts washing performance
- An easy to move design and an anti-rust fiber body
- It comes with a 270 W motor, designed to provide a better flow action
- A buzzer facility that acts as a timely reminder to let you know that it is time to take off your clothes after the procedure is completed
- A transparent top that allows one to see the washing procedure to keep an eye while the clothes are being laundered.
- It comes with a unit dimension of 490*460*890 (W x D x H) mm and packing size of 525*490*925 (W x D x H)
- One year warranty
- It requires no installation
- It has an easily movable castor
- It comes with a high spin speed, which enables faster dry time
- It comes with a wash setting to enable one to choose different settings for different cloth fabric
- Ideal for heavy laundry
- No dryer
- Low spin speed
4. Whirlpool Ace Turbodry 7.5 Kg
The whirlpool ace turbo dry 7.5 Kg semi-automatic washing machine is a large machine compare to some other washing machine. It comes with a carrying capacity of 7.5 Kg with a unique design. With its efficient motor, it can spin a minimum of 1450 rpm.
It comes with a dry turbo technology which helps to dry clothes at a breakneck pace. The whirlpool ace turbo dry comes with a smart handle that allows one to move around the washing machine. It comes with a two years warranty on the washing machine and a five years warranty on the compressor.
- A capacity of 7.5 Kg that is suitable for large families
- A dry turbo technology that fastens dry cloth time to 15 minutes
- Comes with Super soak and an ace washing station
- A smart handle that allows one the freedom to move the machine around without help
- Comes with a big wheels
- It comes with two years of comprehensive warranty and five years on the compressor
- New, improved super soak technology
- The new Ace wash station that helps in sorting and stacking clothes before washing.
- It comes with a washer and dryer type
- It uses an impeller washing method
- Has a power consumption of 350 Watts
- It comes with an outer fiber body
- Comes with a large capacity of 7.5 Kg
- Have an efficient and powerful motor
- Fast-drying technology of 15 minutes
- Manufactured using Turbodry and Super Soak Technology which enables easy removal of dirt
- No built-in heater
- No digital display unit
5. Godrej Top Loading Washing Machine
The Godrej GWS 8502 PPL is one of the best among all the semi-automatic washing machines out there. It has manual intervention as it is a top-loading machine. It cleans the clothes gently, which does not cause any harm to them.
The machine is pretty compact in size and weighs 8.5 Kg. It has a lint collector inside the washtub which gathers all the lint during the washing process and helps in keeping all your clothes free of lint.
It has three washing programs for all your clothes type – an active soak function which increases the wash time so that you can get deep rinse to get rid of bad stains, a hex-scrub option which helps in combining a powerful pulsator action with a micro scrubber motion that deals with all the tough stains on your clothes which would require extra effort in cleaning.
The washing machine is made up of polypropylene plastic material that is strong, durable, and resistant to rust.
- It is a semi-automatic top load washing machine
- The dimensions of the product are (W x H x D) – 876x496x965
- The capacity of the washing machine is 8.5 Kg
- It consists of three washing programs
- The product comes with a warranty of two years
- It is a free-standing machine which requires no installation
- The material is tough rustproof polypropylene
- It gives a buzzer at the end of the wash
- Consists of an active soak feature
- It does not have a built-in heater for temperature controls
- It does not feature a digital display
6. LG Semi-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine
This LG Semi-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine is technologically advanced in order to save a lot of time in your laundry.
The machine is made up of plastic, which has a 7.5 Kg capacity that can handle the substantial volume of all your clothes. The top is transparent, which means you can look at the washing process without opening the lid. It is equipped with a roller jet pulsator that lets you clean your clothes in just one wash.
The washing machine comes with a three wash program which provides a safe and customized wash for every material. Now you can wash your clothes with the care they need. It has a lint collector which ensures a smooth wash. The special feature is the rat away technology, which keeps the rodent away from the clothes.
- The dimensions of the washing machine are (W x H x D) – 80.5 cm x 97.5 cm x 47.8 cm
- It is a semi-automatic washing machine
- Consists of a roller jet pulsator
- The capacity of the washing machine is 7.5 Kg
- Comes with a transparent top
- The product has a two-year warranty
- It has a spin speed of 1400RPM
- Faster spinning speed
- Plastic body ensuring durability
- It comes with a lint collector
- Special Rat away technology
- It is ready to use a washing machine which means it requires no installation
- It does not have a digital display
- Sometimes specified filters are missing so get confirmation before buying
7. Samsung Top Loading Washing Machine
The Samsung WT725QPNDMP/XTL is a semi-automatic, top loading along with a twin-tub washing machine that is equipped with convenient features which will save a lot of time in doing the laundry. The machine is made of plastic, which is rust-free that prevents corrosion for better durability.
This semi-automatic washing machine has a capacity of 7.2 Kg that helps in washing heavy clothes in just one go. This machine features a dual jet system which is efficient enough to create vertical and horizontal currents in the water for better cleaning of the clothes. It ensures deep cleansing, which won’t let the clothes tangle up.
This is a budget-friendly, convenient washing machine that comes with a multi-utility EZ wash tray. This tray allows you to handle multiple clothes that can go through scrubbing, rinsing, and you can also place them temporarily on the appliance. The buzzer goes off when the cleaning is done. The Air Turbo Drying System enables quick extraction of water from the clothes.
- The dimensions of the washing machine are (W x H x D) – 80 cm x 93.5 cm x 50.2 cm
- The capacity of the appliance is 7.2 Kg
- The appliance consumes a power of 350 Watts
- Weight of the washing machine is 24.5 Kg
- It comes with a two-year warranty with ten years on the motor used
- The spin speed is 1000 RPM
- High spin speed
- The appliance features various washing programs
- Consists of an Air Turbo Drying System
- It has wheel support
- The washing machine does not require any installation
- Buzzer indicator
- It does not have a digital display
- Soak functionality missing
8. Haier Top Loading Washing Machine
Haier HTW80-185VA-1 Semi-automatic washing machine is a top-loading machine that is best for doing laundry in a compact environment.
It has a capacity of 7.8 Kg, which is best for a family of 4 people, which makes it ideal for daily usage. It consists of a motor spin of 1300 pretty good RPM, with five mini pulsators and one agitator.
It has three wash programs which are the ultimate package for your washing needs. You can select the level of water that you need.
Now you no longer have to worry about overfilling the machine with your clothes with the Overload protection technology that will automatically stop washing your clothes. It is an energy-efficient washing machine that will help in saving much on your monthly bills.
- It is a semi-automatic top-load machine
- The dimensions of the washing machine are (W x H x D) – 475 mm x 995 mm x 805 mm
- The spin speed is 1350 RPM
- It consists of a plastic, rust-free drum
- The capacity of the appliance is 7.8 Kg
- The product has a warranty of two years with five years on the motor
- The power consumption of the product is 520 Watts
- Weight of the washing machine is 23 Kg
- It has a high spin speed which ensures less dry time
- The products require no installation
- It has easy movable castors
- Rust-free drum ensures high durability
- The appliance consists of a buzzer control system
- It does not have a digital display
- It does not have a child lock
- It does not have a Fuzzy logic feature
9. Whirlpool Top Loading Washing Machine
Whirlpool Semi-Automatic Top Loading Washing Machine Superb Atom 60I is the perfect appliance to reduce your laundry stress. This washing machine is designed in such a way that each and every piece of clothes will be scrubbed properly. It also allows water and detergent to flow back into the washtub.
It has a waterproof panel, which means you don’t have to worry about the water into the machine as the panel is made waterproof. It provides effective and efficient cleaning as it has a 66 liters large tub, which means you can wash clothes with the large space and can move freely in the tub.
The powerful motor makes sure that the clothes are washed in every direction, the multi-utility tray makes drying clothes a hassle-free process, and the impeller gives the clothes the perfect motion to get rid of dirt effectively.
- The dimensions of the washing machine are (W x H x D) – 790 X 490 X 890
- The type of the body is Hi-Fiber
- It has a spin speed of 1450 RPM
- The appliance has a two-year warranty
- The capacity of the appliance is 6 Kg
- The size of the washtub is 66 L
- Motor efficiency of the appliance is of 340 Watts
- It has a waterproof panel
- It consists of a lint filter
- High-motor efficiency
- The appliance has a multi-utility tray
- It does not have an auto-restart feature
- It does not consist of a buzzer control system
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do you use a semi-automatic washing machine?
You need to follow simple steps in order to wash the clothes in a semi-automatic washing machine.
- Add the clothes by separating white ones and colored ones
- Now, add water and your preferred detergent powder
- Set the wash length
- Wait till the wash length is completed
- Drain the water and again add water to rinse thoroughly
- After rinsing drain the water using drain selector
- Finally, add the clothes for drying in the spin tub(if it is a twin model) or allow spinning the clothes in the same tub if it is single tub model
2. Why does my washing machine vibrate abnormally?
When you place your washing machine on uneven surfaces there are quiet chances that your machine vibrate abnormally. Also, incorrect balancing might be the reason. Moreover, if the screws are not adjusted properly.
3. How does drain pipe effect spinning performance?
For good performance of spinning the drain pipe must be horizontal on the ground rather than vertical. Also, if the drain pipe is not horizontal the spinning function may not perform effectively leaving behind the wet clothes in some machines.
4. When does your machine noise?
As we know that you should wash your clothes inside out and before you put the clothes ensure that all the coins or any leftovers in the pocket must be emptied. Coins, debris and un-greased bearings are the reason to produce noise.
5. What is the difference between fully-automatic and semi-automatic washing machine?
The semi-automatic washing machine is cheaper to a fully-automatic washing machine. They come with twin drums one for washing and another for drying. While fully-automatic has only one drum that does both tasks. Also, semi-automatic use less water and power when compared to fully-automatic.
6. What information about safety do I need to know?
Always read the washing machine’s safety instructions and check care labels before using any of the machines. It is also important to note if the machine will require installation or not.
7. What is the quantity of detergent needed for each load?
The quantity of detergent to be used for each load is dependent on the hardness of your water and the dirtiness of the clothes. Softened water would require a little detergent when compared to hard water and filthy cloth. Always go through the machine instructions package for specific guidelines on the use of detergent for each machine type. If soap suds is seen after each wash, then know that you are probably using much detergent.
8. Can I use it to wash all kinds of clothes?
Consider washing delicate material by hand. This is most important when clothes are natural fabrics like cotton and wools.
9. When is pre-wash necessary?
Pre-wash can be necessary when the clothes are very dirty or stained with grease or stubborn stains like engine oils.
10. What should I do first before dumping the clothes in the tub?
Remember to remove from the cloth pockets all items before loading to the drum. It can be dangerous, leaving metallic items in the clothes pockets or essential documents there.
11. What is the quantity of clothes to load into the machine?
Do not overload the tub with many clothes. Some of the machines can carry 3 to 5 clothes while others can carry from 5 and above depending on the Kg of the machine. Give enough space for the clothes to move around.
12. Is it important that I must wash the clothes inside-out?
Turning of clothes inside-out does not affect the wash performance or wash time – but it is encouraged because it helps to prolong the life-span of the fabrics most especially if it is a colored garment.
13. Can I spin-dry all clothes?
It is not advisable to spin-dry all clothes while carrying out your laundry. It is encouraged not too delicate spin-dry materials or natural fibers such as wool or cotton fabrics.
14. How can I maintain the machine?
Always clean the drum and the machine filter regularly after use. Make sure to follow the guidelines listed in the machine instruction package on the specifics to follow
In the end, it depends on which of the above semi-automatic washing machine suit you after you look at your budget, requirements, pros, and cons. With a load of work piling up, it has become a necessity to have a washing machine at home in order to reduce the daily chores. I have listed the best five washing machines which can help you choose the best one.